View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 am



Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Round Up 
Author Message
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 21st 1880 5:21PM
Fear Level:2


As the sun dips behind the Guadalupe Mountains, the chill in the air reminds you that Spring hasn’t pushed winter aside just yet. You wonder why you ever thought it was a good idea to get off the train here at this point. Whatever the reason, Sutter’s Flats aims to disappoint. The small mud hole of a town is nothing more than a general store, now closed, and a Saloon called ‘The Lonely Crow’. Located far enough away from the Bayou Vermilion rail line to be an afterthought, this place seems little more than a gathering place for a few scattered ranches. As the thought crosses your mind that the rail station you just left may be more hospitable, a howl splits the evening air. It could be a coyote, but it hastens your steps towards the dimly lit saloon nonetheless.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As you push through the batwing doors, you notice the inside of the ‘Crow is almost as rundown and dismal as the outside. Still it’s warm and the rag the barkeep is using to clean the glasses only has a few stains. You notice a few others from the train that decided to ‘see the local sights’ as it were, along with a single local scattered around the tables in the common room. The local looks to be the typical result of what the west has to offer, hard bitten and aged beyond his actual years on this earth. Still, he manages a friendly nod as you take a seat, which is more than what the purposely preoccupied bartender offers.

What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 15
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace! 1d6 (6)
Ace again! 1d6 (3)


Jackson walks in, trying his best to look tough, but everyone can easily see the fresh faced youth is out of place; he just can't keep his emotions from reflecting in his face. He takes in every little detail of the room and thinks, This is a real life, tough as nails saloon. Ok, look tough, look tough. Ooh, I wonder if any of these folks are real gunfighters. Ok, don't stare. Um, the bar!

He sidles up to the bar and takes a stool. "Beer," he says, affecting a gruff tone.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Archibald also walks in, though he removes the pith helmet he's wearing as he enters. He glances round, then proceeds over to the bar where he greets the bartender in a noticeable English accent. "Ah, barkeep my good man...what beverages do you have on offer in this establishment?"


Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (3)

Bishop examines the occupants of the saloon as she walks in. She inclines her head with a grateful smile at the local before shooting a glare at the bartender. No wonder there’s only one local here if you have to fight for acknowledgement to even buy a stinking drink. Looking around for someone to talk to, she spots the excitable looking kid over by the bar and strolls over. “So, what brought you to Sutter’s Flats?”

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 11 Raise
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (5)


Common Knowledge 3 Fail
Smarts 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (3)


***

The beautiful young redheaded woman stepped into the saloon and looked around. Hope was grateful to get off the train and stretch her legs. She undid the lacing on her black traveling cloak, letting it open and reveal the scarlet red, very low cut dress she wore. It marked her as a woman of a nocturnal profession, as it were, and was a nice gown, if a bit worn and travel stained. The cold didn’t bother Hope too much. She had grown up in Iowa. Texas just didn’t know what true cold was, and there was no snow.

She tossed back her long red hair, the curls bouncing around her pale face, framing beautiful green eyes and a pert nose dusted with freckles. Moving up to the bar, she leaned forward a bit, flashing the beautiful, pale, freckled expanse of her bosom and immediately capturing the bartender’s attention away from everyone else at the bar.

“Whiskey, please,” she said, her voice low and sultry, flashing him a coy smile. “That’s a good boy. Thank you, sir.” She glanced over at the others, most of whom she recognized from the train. “Afternoon, all,” she greeted gregariously. She pulled a small black book from a pocket inside of her cloak and set it on the bar beside her whiskey.

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Bishop wrote:
Notice 5
Notice Original post: 1d6 (5)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (3)

Bishop examines the occupants of the saloon as she walks in. She inclines her head with a grateful smile at the local before shooting a glare at the bartender. No wonder there’s only one local here if you have to fight for acknowledgement to even buy a stinking drink. Looking around for someone to talk to, she spots the excitable looking kid over by the bar and strolls over. “So, what brought you to Sutter’s Flats?”


Jackson tries not to choke on his beer when the pretty woman with striking black hair actually talks to him. He's always been better with machines than people, and that went double for women; if only then came with gears or gunmetal, he wouldn't be so nervous around them.

He tries not to stare at her and thinks he does a pretty good job of it (he does not)... and then he realizes she isn't just saying words at him, but that she's asking him a question. A question means he needs to respond somehow…

Wait! Is he talking yet? Um, he doesn't think he's talking. Crap! She's going to think he thinks she's boring! Or that he's boring. Which he's not, you know, especially if you like gadgets, because Jackson loves gadgets. He wonders if she likes gadgets, too, because that would make things so much easier.

After another awkward moment, he screams at himself in his mind to just say something already, so he says, ”Ah, me? Just passing through, I suppose, on my way to work.” Good. Those words were good, out loud words.

He gives it a moment, and then realizes he has not introduced himself and stumbles to his feet, trying not to limp as he stands. ”Jackson Hartway the Third, at your service, ma’am.” He tips his hat a bit, just like a dime-novel cowboy, and hopes the effect isn't spoiled by his hat being a bowler instead of a stetson. ”That's a mighty fine looking bow you've got yourself there. You know, I'm a bit of a weaponsmith myself...”

He trails off, not sure what else to say. He wonders if he should keep standing, decides against it, and takes his stool again, hoping none of that was too awkward.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benjamin looked like a cowboy down on his luck, as many cowboys tended to look actually, perhaps in his mid-to-late thirties though that could just be a hard life aging him before his time. His hair was brown and a bit on the shaggy side, with a thick mustache on his face and just a bit of something under his bottom lip, along with some stubble growth on his cheeks and chin. His dull brown eyes had a bit of hardness to them, and maybe a bit of sadness too. He stood six foot tall, wearing a worn duster over a work shirt and trousers, his stetson and boots showing wear and the dust of the road to them. A red handkerchief was tied around his neck, hiding his scars from prying eyes. A rifle was slung on his back and a bowie knife settled in a sheath on his belt.

He looked around the town of Sutter's Flats, his face a mixture of disgust and interest. It was a disgusting, small crap-hole of a place, but sometimes the most interesting things could be found in low-down, dirty places. His lips twisted in to a half-grin, a slight maliciousness to them. His eyes swept around and settled on the Lonely Crow as the most likely place to pass the time, get a drink and maybe something interesting.

He strode inside past the saloon doors, pausing to look around for a moment. He reached up with one hand and tipped his hat to the ladies (and not so lady-like-women) inside, since those he recognized from the train and, dead or not, manners were manners mostly. He then stepped up to the bar and told the bartender in his quiet gravely voice, "Whiskey." Since he didn't specify, the bartender slid him a shot of the cheap stuff. Ben downed the shot quickly and tapped the shot glass on the bar top to indicate another. He wasn't looking to get drunk - he couldn't, point in fact - but he'd learned the hard way to drink liquor lots and often. It helped with his...odor issue.

After the second shot, he changed it up, sliding the shot glass back towards the bartender. "Beer." That drink he would sit with a bit as he looked over the people in the place a bit more. To the redhead down the way a bit who was speaking up to them all nicely, he gave a nod and a polite, "Ma'am."

Notice 13
Notice die 1d6 (6), Notice die ace 1d6 (6), Notice die ace 2 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (5)

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 pm
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 21st 1880 6:33 PM
Fear Level:2


The bartender fills the drink orders in an almost mechanical fashion. He softens a bit with Hope, but it’s not in a way that’s expected. The looks he gives her is one of sadness and loss. It is momentary however, and if it were not for a deep sigh before he composed himself, you wonder if you saw it at all. He waves his hand at any offer of money if offered, nodding towards the one local in the room.

“Folks, your money’s no good here tonight. Bill, over there, is picking up the tab. We got some leftover dinner if anybody wants some. Beans...and lets see what day is it….yeah just beans. We got two rooms upstairs with a couple bunks each and there are some blankets in the loft of the stable out back. ‘Course you are welcome to drink all night in here too, though I’ll be goin’ to bed after a bit. You all are about it for tonight anyway, I reckon.”

The man who nodded at you on the way in smiles again and pushes back from his table. He winces as he stands up and flexes his right knee a couple times. The motion gives you all a good look at the Colt he carries on his hip. It’s slung low in a worn holster suited for drawing quickly if needed.

“Howdy! My name’s Bill Sutter. I know most everyone hereabouts and since I don’t recognize you, I want to say “Welcome to Sutter’s Flats.” Just to clear things up, the town’s named after my daddy. He was the first settler in this area, but that’s as far as my connection goes. Aw, Hell. I ain’t no good at small talk. I’m lookin’ for some extra hands. I’m gettin’ ready to pull up stakes. Bayou Vermilion has got a stranglehold on the cattle trade ’round these parts, due to being the only railroad within hundreds of miles as you all figured out, and calling the prices they offer “highway robbery” is an insult to bandits. That bein’ the case, I’m gonna take my herd and leave, so to speak. I’ve got a solid crew, but I’m shy a few. I’m lookin’ for experienced trail riders, but I’ll settle for anybody who knows which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. But pickin’s is gettin’ slim and I want to get on the trail before we get too far into spring, so if I can’t get that, I’ll make do with breathin’. That’s why I’m here tonight takin’ over Jeb’s bar recruitin’ so to speak. Nobody comes to Sutter’s Flat if they’ve got anywhere else to be, so I figured I’d make you all an offer.”



What are you doing?
OOC Comments
Go ahead and post back and forth getting to know each other if you want as well

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 5 Success
Notice 1d4 (3)
Wild 1d6 (5)


Common Knowledge 2 Fail
Smarts 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

Hope looked at the bartender and gave him a sad, sympathetic smile, placing a hand lightly on his arm. “Thank yeh, sir.”

She flashed the mustachioed cowboy a returning smile, pleasant, and watched the awkward interaction between the young man in the bowler and the dark-haired woman. Ah, to be that innocent again. She wondered if she should leave his innocence, or take him upstairs and teach him the ways of women. Then her gaze fell on the black book she had set on the bar and she sighed. She was trying to be better. But...it was a bit lonely.

Hope picked up her book and strode over to take up the spot on Jackson’s other side. She flashed him a smile, leaning back against the bar in a way that emphasized her feminine aspects. It was mostly an unconscious movement, something one learned working the brothels, enticing and alluring and not something she usually thought of doing.

“A tip, luv,” Hope said with a smile and a light Irish lilt. “Compliment her eyes, or her hair, or even her clothes. Not her weapon.” She gave a wink.

When Bill Sutter introduced himself, Hope sipped her whiskey and listened. She considered his offer. She had purchased an open ticket on the train, with no particular destination in mind, just going where the Good Lord led her. She wondered if this was the place and purpose for her.

“I’m not much experienced on the trail, Mr. Sutter,” Hope admitted. “But I can handle a shotgun pretty well.” She nodded to the carpet bag of her things leaning against the bar beside her. The gun wasn’t visible in the bag, and neither was the derringer or knife under her skirts. “But if havin’ a lass on the trail won’t be too much trouble, I’m willin’ t’ help out. I can lend a hand in the chuckwagon or wherever.”

Hope didn’t mention her former profession. She certainly didn’t need every cowpoke on the trail harassing her for a bit of back time. She glanced over at the dark-haired woman. She certainly looked a lot more trailworthy than Hope’s own dress.

“Might need t’ pick up a few things before travelin’, though. Get some appropriate clothes an’ wotever gear yeh think I need.”

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 2 fail
Notice 1d6 (1)
Wild Die 1d6 (2)


Hm, really cosmopolitan here...perhaps I should've endured the train until the next town? Archibald muses to himself, hoping he was playing safe by asking for some boiled water from the bartender. He still had some tea leaves left in his travel pack, more than enough for a brew. He turns and greets the other arrivals, though coughs politely and blushes a little before turning quickly away when he hazard a guess at Hope's profession.

He came aware of the cowboy, Sutter, addressing the assembled crowd as a whole.

"Your proposal does pique my curiosity sir." Responded Ellsworth. "Ah, where are my manners? Captain Archibald Ellsworth, Her Majesty's Royal Engineers and recently late of Africa, at your service."

"I've been given leave for a new posting in Canada and to travel there at my leisure, so your little jaunt may fit into my plans quite nicely. I grew up in the country back in dear old England seeing the cattle droves going to market, plus we used oxen as draft animals out in Africa...though my experience with cattle ends there. But I've a dab more acquainted with firearms than I would've liked."


Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benjamin was, to say the least, a bit surprised by the announcement that he would not be paying for drinks. That set him back on his heels, but that certainly made things a bit easier. The food didn't interest him in the least since there was no meat involved. Meat he could at least use. Shut eye he would need as well later so that was welcome.

He quickly took back the money he had set down on the bar top for his three drinks. He then smiled and ordered more, "Bottle o'whiskey then, please."

As the second man was introduced, Benjamin leaned back on to the bar after turning around to face the voice of the person speaking. He eyed Bill Sutter with slightly narrowed eyes as the man offered up his proposal, but tipped his hat to the man and uttered, "Much obliged." for paying for the drinks. He scratched his chin thoughtfully for a long moment as he considered the offer. He wasn't headed anywhere in particular and he had actually been a ranch hand for a short while a lifetime ago.

He finally gave a nod. "Awright then. Sure. Why not? I got nothin' better t'do right now. Count me in." He swallowed down the rest of the beer he had previously ordered. "I gotta horse, but I'll need rope."

Notice
+2 visual (not included)
Notice die 1d6 (5), Wild die 1d6 (2).

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:27 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Hope Monaghan wrote:
Notice 5 Success
Notice Original post: 1d4 (3)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (5)


Common Knowledge 2 Fail
Smarts Original post: 1d4 (2)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (2)


***

Hope looked at the bartender and gave him a sad, sympathetic smile, placing a hand lightly on his arm. “Thank yeh, sir.”

She flashed the mustachioed cowboy a returning smile, pleasant, and watched the awkward interaction between the young man in the bowler and the dark-haired woman. Ah, to be that innocent again. She wondered if she should leave his innocence, or take him upstairs and teach him the ways of women. Then her gaze fell on the black book she had set on the bar and she sighed. She was trying to be better. But...it was a bit lonely.

Hope picked up her book and strode over to take up the spot on Jackson’s other side. She flashed him a smile, leaning back against the bar in a way that emphasized her feminine aspects. It was mostly an unconscious movement, something one learned working the brothels, enticing and alluring and not something she usually thought of doing.

“A tip, luv,” Hope said with a smile and a light Irish lilt. “Compliment her eyes, or her hair, or even her clothes. Not her weapon.” She gave a wink.

When Bill Sutter introduced himself, Hope sipped her whiskey and listened. She considered his offer. She had purchased an open ticket on the train, with no particular destination in mind, just going where the Good Lord led her. She wondered if this was the place and purpose for her.

“I’m not much experienced on the trail, Mr. Sutter,” Hope admitted. “But I can handle a shotgun pretty well.” She nodded to the carpet bag of her things leaning against the bar beside her. The gun wasn’t visible in the bag, and neither was the derringer or knife under her skirts. “But if havin’ a lass on the trail won’t be too much trouble, I’m willin’ t’ help out. I can lend a hand in the chuckwagon or wherever.”

Hope didn’t mention her former profession. She certainly didn’t need every cowpoke on the trail harassing her for a bit of back time. She glanced over at the dark-haired woman. She certainly looked a lot more trailworthy than Hope’s own dress.

“Might need t’ pick up a few things before travelin’, though. Get some appropriate clothes an’ wotever gear yeh think I need.”

***

Conditions


Jackson looks from the beautiful, dark-haired woman with the ornate bow to the scantily clad redheaded woman, and is entranced... by her mention of a shotgun! Is she a gunfighter? That seems unlikely from what he had read, but one never can tell (he assumes). He is saved from having another awkward conversation with a woman at the bar by Mr. Sutter.

Muskrat Jack wrote:
“Howdy! My name’s Bill Sutter. I know most everyone hereabouts and since I don’t recognize you, I want to say “Welcome to Sutter’s Flats.” Just to clear things up, the town’s named after my daddy. He was the first settler in this area, but that’s as far as my connection goes. Aw, Hell. I ain’t no good at small talk. I’m lookin’ for some extra hands. I’m gettin’ ready to pull up stakes. Bayou Vermilion has got a stranglehold on the cattle trade ’round these parts, due to being the only railroad within hundreds of miles as you all figured out, and calling the prices they offer “highway robbery” is an insult to bandits. That bein’ the case, I’m gonna take my herd and leave, so to speak. I’ve got a solid crew, but I’m shy a few. I’m lookin’ for experienced trail riders, but I’ll settle for anybody who knows which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. But pickin’s is gettin’ slim and I want to get on the trail before we get too far into spring, so if I can’t get that, I’ll make do with breathin’. That’s why I’m here tonight takin’ over Jeb’s bar recruitin’ so to speak. Nobody comes to Sutter’s Flat if they’ve got anywhere else to be, so I figured I’d make you all an offer.”


"Well, I certainly could use the funds to work on my projects," he thinks out loud, "so that sounds fine by me."

Wait, did I agree too quickly? Is he going to think I'm a sucker? I should ask him... something? "Ah, say, Mr. Sutter. What does this job of yours pay?"

He glances from the women, to Bill, to the other men at the bar, and back again, unsure where to look. And what is one supposed to do with one's hands while negotiating? he thinks. Wait, what do I normally do with my hands?! He ponders on that, sticking one hand into and then pulling it out of his pants pocket repeatedly, while listening to Bill's answer.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 3
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (3)

Well, he’s not wrong about having nowhere else to be. And I sure wouldn’t mind having some people to talk to while I do my exploring. As great as Snowfall is for a horse, she’s not much of a conversationalist.

”You can count me in. I’m not much good with bullets and guns but I’m a darn good shot with this here bow and I’m a fair rider to boot.” Bishop then turns to the barkeep, ”and I’ll take a whiskey and some of those beans.” She feels guilty after seeing his sorrow filled glances at Hope for assuming him to be ill-mannered rather than seemingly in mourning.

”So when would you have us set out Mr. Sutter? And where do you plan to have us head to?”

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:21 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (7)
wild dice 1d6 (4)

It was a quiet town; certainly being out here didn’t leave him with an awful lot of choice. Last job had gone a little cuckoo. Well more than a little cuckoo, but best not to dwell on that now. Right now, he could do with drinking money and a place to sleep, whilst he figured his next move. Right now, he didn’t have the money to properly feed her for too long, so any job would do for now.

He gently brought his horse to a halt, tying off the reins to a post, so that his horse could get her drink in the trough.

It wasn’t one of those towns that insisted that you hand your guns over the moment you breached city limits, so the potential for trouble was higher than he’d like.

He pushed open the saloon doors, playing a little ditty on his harmonica as he did so. He looked around the saloon that looked like most of the others he’d walked into over the past few years; no fancy airs here. Just good old fashioned booze and piano playing.

Biggest group of people were sat at one of the tables; looks like they were doing business;
Hood and bow and arrows; certainly looks like a woman under that get-up
That one has just got off the boat judging by that hat.
That one has to be one of those wacky inventors that Smith and Robards and Hellstromme all hire.
Well dressed … was that Benny? Things were looking up. Somebody he’d worked with in the past; hopefully they could put a good word in for him.
Preoccupied with Benny being there, he almost didn’t spot the redhead at the table as she was momentarily obscured by the inventor
Where have I seen you before? He thought to himself, blowing a gentle note through the Harmonica, before he realised where …
Oh crud he thought, just what I need.

OOC Comments
Probably me being awkward, but I figure John happened to have been working in the area, so he didn't come in on the train, so therefore that avoids explaining why he didn't encounter Benny and Hope on the train, considering we've been building some connections between them

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 5 Success
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (5)


Common Knowledge 10 Raise
Smarts 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)


***

Hope looked up as another man walked into the saloon and she stiffened. His eyes met hers. Yes, he recognized her.

“Perdition!” Hope cursed, hiking her skirt and pulling out a small Derringer, aiming it at the man. “You son of a bitch!”

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Rolls carried

As Hope went for her derringer, John pulled out his colt, holding it on her but not shooting.

"Easy Hellcat, don't do anything you and I might regret."

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 21st 1880 6:48 PM
Fear Level:2


Bill Sutter moves with the grace of a cat that belies his age and girth, that is everything but his right leg which drags on the floorboards a bit. Still, he is instantly between Hope and John with is left hand patting the air in an attempt to diffuse the situation. His right hand, however, is on the pistol that has been thumbed to half-cock and halfway out of its holster.

“Whoa! Whoa! Let’s all just calm down. I am not sure who looked at who cross-eyed, but we ain’t gonna have any more of it here. Son, yer presence in this establishment depends a heck of a lot on what you do next. I suggest its to put that pistol back where it belongs. None of these folk want their evening ruined with bloodshed. Ma’am I suggest you do the same with that snake killer.”

His voice goes cold and hard with what he says next and two audible clicks can be heard behind the bar.

“You shoot her and I shoot you. You shoot me and she shoots you. Either of you shoot and Jeb first ruins that lovely dress with one barrel and then blows that harmonica into the street along with some teeth with the other. He ain’t particular with what that street sweeper hits and I don’t need anymore buckshot in my hide. I’m sure these other nice folks don’t either.”

As quickly as it appears, the hardness in his voice is gone and it seems that ol’ Bill is back to his jovial self, except for the hand that has not moved from the revolver at his side.

“Now, I’m gonna keep talking while you two relax. Be prompt cause Ms. Bishop would like her beans and Sir Ellsworth would like a kettle put on the fire. Jackson Hartway the Third is it? Why don’t you go back behind the bar, Jeb won’t mind, and grab another bottle of that whiskey and some glasses and pour us all a double. I didn’t catch the other gent’s name, but he’s got the right idea for us all, I think. Keep your hands in sight and don’t wave ‘em around so much, we don’t want anybody gettin’ nervous now.

“Now, as I was sayin’, I ain’t particular when it comes to help. Ma’am, the way you drew that derringer, I’m more than convinced that you can probably handle a shotgun just as well and are more than welcome, as long as you can keep that red headed temper directed at any rustlers and not us. Pettinger’s opens in the morning so you all can get what you need then. He’s a bit pricey cause it’s hard to get shit out here, but I stand by what he sells. I was willing to offer $30 a month, but just to show goodwill all around, I’ll up it to $35. That’ll include meals and a bed in my bunkhouse until we move out. I’ll even give ya a month advance if ya need some cash for supplies. We’ll be headin’ north to Roswell and then on to Denver to sell my beef. That gets you headin’ toward Canada and I guarantee you’ll see all a cattle drive has to offer, Archie. Can I call you Archie, we’re kinda informal out on the range? Now I’m gonna consider you all hired, even you Mr. harmonica player, as long as nobody starts blazin’ away”



What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 1d6 (4)


Common Knowledge 4
Smarts 1d6-2 = 4 (6)
Wild 1d6 (3)


Oh dear... Archibald thought as the red haired woman of questionable standing pulled a gun out on the latest arrival, whom in turn pulled out a gun of his own. They did warn me that Americans could be a tad excitable with their guns. Should I say or something?

Archibal's dilemma was seemingly resolved by Bill Sutter intervening and, hopefully, calming things down. Though the manner of the intervention was in what Archibald reckoned to be 'cowboy fashion', it did seem to fit the stories that he'd heard.

Muskrat Jack wrote:
“We’ll be headin’ north to Roswell and then on to Denver to sell my beef. That gets you headin’ toward Canada and I guarantee you’ll see all a cattle drive has to offer, Archie. Can I call you Archie, we’re kinda informal out on the range? Now I’m gonna consider you all hired, even you Mr. harmonica player, as long as nobody starts blazin’ away”


"I must confess sir, that I'm used to a more formal manner of address." Answered Archibald. "But as they say; 'When in Rome'."

"Yes, that does sound most ideal." He added after trying to recall where Denver was located.

OOC Comment
Common Knowledge roll is for Archibald to place where Denver is, -2 for him being non-American.


Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice
1d8 (5)
wild dice 1d6 (2)


Well I have no real inclination to shoot her and I do need the money.

Provided Hope also puts her Derringer away, John clicked the hammer forward on his pistol and slowly slid it back into its holster, keeping an eye on Hope as he did so.
“My apologies for the introduction,” he spoke to the barman and to Sutter, “I wasn’t expecting to be drawn on.”


He stiffly walked over to the table, staying as far as possible away from Hope. It is obvious to everyone that he walks with a limp on his left leg. Both Benny and Hope who have met him before will realise that is something new since the last time they saw John.

“Name is John Baxter,” he introduced himself to the collective group, pulling the brim of his fedora as he did so, still clutching the Harmonica in his left hand. His right hand hovered non-chalantly near his pistol just in case.

“Not much for being able to round up cattle,” John remarked as Sutter explained the job on offer, “never been able to throw a lasso much worth a damn, but I have worked a cattle drive, albeit a short one before as the outrider. Don’t know if you’ve got somebody in mind for that, but finding paths, lost cattle and scouting ahead are pretty much my shtick.”

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (6)


Common Knowledge #
Smarts 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

"Easy Hellcat, don't do anything you and I might regret," John said.

“And why not?” Hope glowered. Her Derringer had two shots. His Colt had six. She would have to make it count. “You killed Davey an’ ruined my life.”

Bill Sutter moved between them, half drawing his gun and ruining her shot. Damn! She should have taken it when she had the chance!

With Bill’s intervention, Hope glared, but she obeyed, uncocking her Derringer and slipping it back under her dress. “You an’ me will have a reckonin’ yet, Johnny Baxter,” she warned.

She took a breath to calm down, her fiery temper cooling to embers almost as quick as it flared. She gratefully accepted the whiskey from Jeb and tossed it back.

“That’s a right fine price, Mr. Sutter,” Hope said. “Should I be gettin’ my own horse, or will you have some?” Mostly she would need to get some trail clothes, she figured, if she was going to be on a horse all day. If she rode a wagon, though, her dresses might be fine.

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:38 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 3
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)

Huh. This should be an interesting group to ride with if guns are blazing before we even hit the trail. I’d kill to know who this ‘Davey’ is and why he ended up dead but I’m not about to get in the middle of that mess and end up shot for my trouble. ‘Sides, it’s sure to come up without me poking my nose in it.

Bishop accepts the whiskey and beans with a smile and a tip of her head. ”Well at least we know there are some quick reflexes in this crew” she jokes, trying to ease the tension. ”So Baxter here’s worked a cattle drive before. Has anyone else? I’m not quite sure what to expect.”

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 4
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (4)


Bishop wrote:
”Well at least we know there are some quick reflexes in this crew” she jokes, trying to ease the tension. ”So Baxter here’s worked a cattle drive before. Has anyone else? I’m not quite sure what to expect.”


"Well, ah... Miss?" Archibald began, looking questioningly at Bishop before continuing. "If its anything like an oxen train be prepared for the stench, and the flies...."


Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Rolls carried

Hope Monaghan wrote:
***
"Easy Hellcat, don't do anything you and I might regret," John said.

“And why not?” Hope glowered. Her Derringer had two shots. His Colt had six. She would have to make it count. “You killed Davey an’ ruined my life.”

Bill Sutter moved between them, half drawing his gun and ruining her shot. Damn! She should have taken it when she had the chance!

With Bill’s intervention, Hope glared, but she obeyed, uncocking her Derringer and slipping it back under her dress. “You an’ me will have a reckonin’ yet, Johnny Baxter,” she warned.


John refrained from taking any alcohol, preferring to stay sober.
This one was going to be trouble. This is what I get for saving her life.


“How many months do you expect to be on the trail Mr Sutter?”

He leaned in to speak to Benny.
"You got my back like normal?" he whispered

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Archibald Ellsworth wrote:


"Well, ah... Miss?" Archibald began, looking questioningly at Bishop before continuing. "If its anything like an oxen train be prepared for the stench, and the flies...."


Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (5)

”Yep, I’m a Miss,” Bishop smiles. ”My name’s Bishop. Now do you prefer Archibald or Captain Ellsworth? I can’t say I look forward to the stench but I’m used to a fair amount of flies from my horse.”

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice die 1d6 (5), Wild die 1d6 (5)

Benny glanced at each of the others as they asked questions or proclaimed their taking of the job. However, then things got a bit hairy. An old 'friend' walked in and a ruckus just about started up. Benny didn't immediately react to John Baxter's entrance...but the pretty redhead sure did. She whipped out a derringer and a parentage curse on Baxter. Baxter, of course, drew to match, but didn't fire. Interesting. The two seemed to have history, and not the good kind.

The dark passenger in his brain urgently whispered for him to draw his own gun and shoot one or both of them, preferably Baxter and then take the redhead upstairs.

Mr. Sutter moved to intervene as Benny ignored the manitou stubbornly and his right hand strayed a bit lower...to pick up the whiskey bottle he'd ordered. Benny's lips twitched a bit in amusement as both he and the manitou found the situation funny, especially as Sutter described the 'Mexican stand-off' situation and how people would die in which order if guns weren't put away. Of course, Sutter couldn't know that Benny just might have to shoot someone if Baxter were gunned down. Professional courtesy, friendship, something.

Mr. Sutter continued on and answered some questions. $35 a month. Good pay. It did make Benny wonder if the job was more dangerous than was being let on. He tipped his hat to Mr. Sutter when he mentioned he hadn't caught his name. "Please forgive my lack o'manners. I actually was raised in a barn." He let out a small chuckle after that statement. "Benjamin Peniford, sirs an' ladies. An' a'fore y'ask, Mr. Sutter, yes, you can call me Ben or Benny. I've answered t'both in the past."

He fell silent once more as he pondered the job and the current tension in the room. He turned his head slowly to look at Hope, watching pointedly with a small smile where she put the gun away, or just not looking away when she showed some leg, but then giving her a nod of small respect. To the lady Bishop's question (and Sutter's previous indication that he'd like to know their areas of expertise sort of), he cleared his throat lightly. "Was a ranch hand fer a while. Know my way 'round horses an' cattle, though they don't like me back too much sometimes. Decent with a gun an' lasso. Have my own horse, but ain't got any rope for lassoing currently."

He turned his head slowly the other way to look at Baxter. Amusement and sarcasm were rampant in his quiet reply, "Always did have a way with the ladies, Johnny boy, an' you sure ain't got prettier since I seen ya last. Even so, it's not unpleasant t'see ya 'gain." He poured the man a shot of whiskey, then raised his own shotglass. "T'the good ol' days, even though they wasn't all that good sometimes." He then downed the shot. If John declined to partake, Benny then downed that shot too after a moment. John would notice that Benny sort of reeked of alcohol, dust and death...maybe even more than the old days.

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:32 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 9
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)


Muskrat Jack wrote:
His voice goes cold and hard with what he says next and two audible clicks can be heard behind the bar.

“You shoot her and I shoot you. You shoot me and she shoots you. Either of you shoot and Jeb first ruins that lovely dress with one barrel and then blows that harmonica into the street along with some teeth with the other. He ain’t particular with what that street sweeper hits and I don’t need anymore buckshot in my hide. I’m sure these other nice folks don’t either.”

As quickly as it appears, the hardness in his voice is gone and it seems that ol’ Bill is back to his jovial self, except for the hand that has not moved from the revolver at his side.

“Now, I’m gonna keep talking while you two relax. Be prompt cause Ms. Bishop would like her beans and Sir Ellsworth would like a kettle put on the fire. Jackson Hartway the Third is it? Why don’t you go back behind the bar, Jeb won’t mind, and grab another bottle of that whiskey and some glasses and pour us all a double. I didn’t catch the other gent’s name, but he’s got the right idea for us all, I think. Keep your hands in sight and don’t wave ‘em around so much, we don’t want anybody gettin’ nervous now.




Jackson is torn between disappointment that he had just almost seen his first real gunfight and relief that the situation had been diffused without bloodshed. The redheaded woman, Hope, certainly did seem like she might be a gunfighter after all, and while he wanted to see a gun battle in person, he didn’t want to see it quite so up close and personal.

At mention of his name, Jackson, says, ”Oh, sure. I can do a double!” He leaps up, almost stumbles when one leg doesn’t quite keep up, and heads behind the bar.

With a nod to the bartender, he lines up some glasses on the bar and starts rooting for a good bottle.

Whie looking, he says, ”Well, I may not be much for cattle, but I know how to sit a horse, and I’m handy enough with a gun. I actually have a very ineresting prototype I’ve been working on” he pats the grip of the “Problem Solver” .... or, wait, was it “Trouble Shooter?” He needed to settle on a name.

Hoping he hadn’t just trailed off again, he continued ”and I am quite proficient with fixing and building things. I assume you are all familiar with the tenants of the New Science? There are some fascinating things one can do with the right materials that I am sure would be helpful on our joint endeavor.”

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (3)


Common Knowledge #
Smarts 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)


***

Needing to put some distance between her and John Baxter -- and maybe get a bit closer to that shotgun in her carpet bag -- Hope went behind the bar to help Jackson with the drinks.

“Good man with yer hands, huh?” she asked the young man coyly, her hip bumping his as she stood close in his personal space to help with the drinks, her perfume wafting up. “What brings you all the way out here?”

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Rolls carried

Bad Luck Benny wrote:

He turned his head slowly the other way to look at Baxter. Amusement and sarcasm were rampant in his quiet reply, "Always did have a way with the ladies, Johnny boy, an' you sure ain't got prettier since I seen ya last. Even so, it's not unpleasant t'see ya 'gain." He poured the man a shot of whiskey, then raised his own shotglass. "T'the good ol' days, even though they wasn't all that good sometimes." He then downed the shot. If John declined to partake, Benny then downed that shot too after a moment. John would notice that Benny sort of reeked of alcohol, dust and death...maybe even more than the old days.


Benny, as happy a soul as ever, if not even less so. Smells worse than ever too.

John shook his head slightly, putting his hand over the top of the glass.

"Not with her around. Want my wits about me, but good to see you as well Benny. How have you been keeping? Sleeping in coffins again?" he said with a wry smile.

Knowledge occult 5
OOC Comments
1d6 (5)
wild dice 1d6 (5)
Is there something weird John can figure out about Benny?


He looked over at the bar at Hope, a disconcerted look on his face. This was a situation he could have done without. What happened at the Cabin should stay at the cabin, but then she didn't know why. Not that she'd believe him.

"As for her, would you believe doing the right thing for the right reasons and saving people's lives. Sadly, just didn't include Davy or what ever his name was."

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 4
Notice 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Bishop wrote:
”Yep, I’m a Miss,” Bishop smiles. ”My name’s Bishop. Now do you prefer Archibald or Captain Ellsworth? I can’t say I look forward to the stench but I’m used to a fair amount of flies from my horse.”


"Apologies, I meant more your name Miss Bishop which you have now given." Replied Archibald, sounding a little embarrassed. "Captain will do just fine for the time being madam."

With the kettle now boiling and starting to whistle, Ellsworth fishes out a tin mug from his pack and a box of tea leaves.

Jackson wrote:
Hoping he hadn’t just trailed off again, he continued ”and I am quite proficient with fixing and building things. I assume you are all familiar with the tenants of the New Science? There are some fascinating things one can do with the right materials that I am sure would be helpful on our joint endeavor.”


"New Science? You mean like that Hellstromme chap?" Archibald asks as he overhears Jackson talk. "I've never met him personally but he was a Royal Engineer, one treated with great reverence at Woolwich...least during my time there."


Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Hope Monaghan wrote:

Needing to put some distance between her and John Baxter -- and maybe get a bit closer to that shotgun in her carpet bag -- Hope went behind the bar to help Jackson with the drinks.

“Good man with yer hands, huh?” she asked the young man coyly, her hip bumping his as she stood close in his personal space to help with the drinks, her perfume wafting up. “What brings you all the way out here?”



Jackson keeps from fumbling a glass, but only just. Personal space! he thinks. Before any more awkwardness can ensue, the foreigner speaks up.


Archibald Ellsworth wrote:

"New Science? You mean like that Hellstromme chap?" Archibald asks as he overhears Jackson talk. "I've never met him personally but he was a Royal Engineer, one treated with great reverence at Woolwich...least during my time there."


Jackson's eyes light up at this, and he turns abruptly toward the man, accidentally elbowing Hope in the process. "Yes!" he exclaims. "Hellstromme and the scientists like him are transforming the world as we know it. Things we never would have thought possible even a decade ago are now seen as practically mundane, thanks to science! I'm nowhere near the scientist he is, not yet, anyway, but I am sure I will be more than useful on the trail ahead. Oh, there is just so much I want to try..."

He trails off when he realizes his enthusiasm may have carried him into shouting, and he feels his face go a little red. He clears his throat and, in a more reasonable tone, continues, "I have been working on a number of different prototypes that might come in handy on a job such as ours, and I must admit that I am excited at the prospect of trying one or two of them out."

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (5)


***

Hope winced a bit as Jackson elbowed her in his excitement to talk about all that science mumbo jumbo. It had been a while since she’d had schooling, and she hadn’t been particularly adept at it. Her father had given up and had only expected her to land a good husband and be a good wife. Then she’d run off with Davey. And now he was dead. She shot another glare at John before giving Jackson her attention again.

“Easy, sugar,” she said, putting a gentle hand on his arm. Men liked to be touched by pretty women. “Don’t spill now.” She caught the bottle he almost dropped in his excitement. “Afraid I don’t know much about about this science stuff,” she said.

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 21st 1880 7:15 PM
Fear Level:2


Sutter returns to his jovial self as tempers cool. He downs his shot and looks at his glass appreciatively. He gives a nod of approval to Jeb as he pours himself another.

“The drive will take a month or two, but we still got about a month of prep work dependin’ on how motivated the ranch hands I got are. You’ll each get five horses for the drive, but I’m still in the process of obtainin’ ‘em and breakin’ ‘em, hence the prep work. I’m sure glad you all are willin’ to sign on. That checks the box on the amount of hands we need. You will need some riding clothes though, Miss. Like I said Pettinger’s will be open in the morning. He’ll track whatever supplies you buy and I’ll take it out of the first month’s pay. It’s hard for him to get stuff in with the way we’re situated so expect a bit of a mark up. Don’t let him gouge ya too bad, though. Ol’ Man Pettinger will charge double on sellin’ harps to angels if he could.”

At that moment the kettle on the stove begins to whistle signalling Archibald’s tea is ready.

“Well, I’ll take that as my cue. Enjoy yourself tonight, but that’s as far as my hospitality goes. Well, it ain’t my hospitality it’s Pettinger’s. See he bought this place from Jeb and we’re on his dime right now. Jeb’s headin’ out in the morning to California. Whether you take my offer or not, I suggest you keep whatever happens tonight to yourselves or at least don’t let on if you do business with Pettinger. Jeb will give ya directions to the ranch in the morning. Until then, folks.”


Bill tips his hat and makes his exit. As he does so, Jeb places two more bottles on the bar.

“Both rooms up stairs have two beds. The loft in the stable is built well and many a traveller has said its just as, if not warmer, than this old place---even if it does smell like horse shit. I’m turnin’ in too. Keep it to a dull roar.”

The bartender reaches under the bar breaks open the side by side and puts it over his shoulder. As he heads into the back he gives Hope a wanful smile. Both chambers are empty.

John
OOC Comments
Benny stinks more than usual. Considering you might be stuck bunking with him, the stable loft doesn’t sound too bad


OOC Comments
We’ll jump to Sutter’s ranch with the next post. Go ahead and gear with anything you need given your $35 dollar advance. Pettinger charges a 25% markup but could be haggled with


What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benny grinned and shook his head at John. "Nah. I try not t'rob graves too often anymore. The 'commodations're dirt cheap, but the company's lousy!" He chuckled at his terrible joke but then sobered a bit and shook his head. "I tell ya. The road been long an' dirty, my friend. Seen many a thing I wish I hadn't. Done a few things I wish I hadn't too." He gave a slow nod about Hope and the 'situation'. "I unnerstand all too well. World ain't what it used t'be."

He shot Jackson a glare as the boy elbowed Hope and not only didn't apologize, but didn't even seem to notice. He downed another shot and restrained himself from moving closer or saying something. Hope looked like she could take care of herself, and Benny wasn't keen on making any enemies of people he would be working with over the next few months. He hoped the boy knew how to shut up when he might spook the cattle or there'd be trouble.

To Mr. Sutter's words, he listened and then piped up after. "Much obliged, sir. An' I'll sleep in the barn. Don't mind me none. Still better than some places I slept." It also would be a bit better for his smell and for anything else.

Purchases
Lariat ($5)
Ammunition - Rifle (.38-.52) (50 rounds) (Cost $5)
Bottles of the Cheap Stuff (x8) ($20)
Trail Rations (Meat) (x4 days of cost, but 3 pounds of meat each) ($3)

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Last edited by Bad Luck Benny on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 10
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)


***

Hope looked over at the dark-haired woman. “Guess it’s you an’ me, sister,” she said. “Shall we head up?” She grabbed a bottle of whiskey from under the bar to take up with them.

***

In the morning, Hope headed across the street to the store to place her orders. She would need to stock up since she’d never ridden trail before. She eyed the men’s clothes. They were so awful! She knew she was going to be going over her $35 advance, but she had some money in her pocket.

“That seems a mite steep in price, Mr. Pettiwinger,” Hope said, leaning forward to emphasize her bosom, her green eyes wide, full lips pouted. “Can’t we make a little deal?”

Persuasion 7 Success
Persuasion 1d8+2 = 5 (3)
Wild 1d6+2 = 7 (5)


Purchases
Price to be modified by Persuasion roll ($85.50 before markup and Persuasion, minus $35 advance)
Chaps $4
Duster $10
Work shirt x3 $3
Trousers x3 $6
Backpack $2
Bed roll $4
Canteen $1
Matches (100) $0.50
Mess kit $2
Rope (50’) $5
Stetson hat $5
Colt Peacemaker $15
.45 pistol ammo $3
Winchester ‘76 $40
.45 rifle ammo $4
Gun belt $2
Quick draw holster $11
Rifle boot $3


***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice

Notice 1d8 (7)
Wild dice 1d6 (2)

John sniffed, wondering what was going on with Benny. He’d never been the cleanliest of souls, though he could hardly talk considering the amount of time he spend on the trail, but now he stank of alcohol and worse than before. Something wasn’t quite right.
He looked around at the others; considering Benny’s smell, honestly the stable was the better option for them.
“I’ll take the stable with Benny.” He decided, happily keeping away from Hope.

Bad Luck Benny wrote:
Benny grinned and shook his head at John. "Nah. I try not t'rob graves too often anymore. The 'commodations're dirt cheap, but the company's lousy!" He chuckled at his terrible joke but then sobered a bit and shook his head. "I tell ya. The road been long an' dirty, my friend. Seen many a thing I wish I hadn't. Done a few things I wish I hadn't too." He gave a slow nod about Hope and the 'situation'. "I unnerstand all too well. World ain't what it used t'be."


“And getting weirder every day.” He sighed, hating thinking about that incident, “I’ll tell you about sometime. Involves gentlemen from back East who like to keep things quiet.” He drummed his fingers on the table for a few seconds

“Shall we get to know our new travelling companions? The hellcat is all yours, though..” he leaned in conspiratorially, “I had no idea what her name is until a few minutes ago.”

“Mr Archibald wasn’t it?” he turned to speak to the Englishman, “what brings you all the way out here to the Weird … sorry, Wild West as it were?”

He’d have to buy a couple of things; his last pair of chaps got all chewed up when he did and that Sawbones’ fees had tapped him out. Bit more ammo wouldn’t go amiss. Sutter was providing feed and food and a place to sleep, so a new mess kit wouldn’t go amiss.


OOC Comments
will add purchases this weekend
Persuasion 1d4 (4) 1d4 (2)
wild dice 1d6 (6) 1d6 (5)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6+2 = 5 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)

+2 from Alertness


Jackson wrote:
Jackson's eyes light up at this, and he turns abruptly toward the man, accidentally elbowing Hope in the process. "Yes!" he exclaims. "Hellstromme and the scientists like him are transforming the world as we know it. Things we never would have thought possible even a decade ago are now seen as practically mundane, thanks to science! I'm nowhere near the scientist he is, not yet, anyway, but I am sure I will be more than useful on the trail ahead. Oh, there is just so much I want to try..."

He trails off when he realizes his enthusiasm may have carried him into shouting, and he feels his face go a little red. He clears his throat and, in a more reasonable tone, continues, "I have been working on a number of different prototypes that might come in handy on a job such as ours, and I must admit that I am excited at the prospect of trying one or two of them out."


"I'm sure it'll be interesting seeing these devices of yours in action." Replies Ellsworth as he grabs the kettle and began pouring the freshly boiled water into his mug. "Though I must admit that New Science is not my area of expertise, we maybe no more than a term on it at Woolwich. Even then that was tuition on steam wagons and other such devices used by the Royal Engineers, and the rest of the British Army, these days."

John Baxter wrote:
“Mr Archibald wasn’t it?” he turned to speak to the Englishman, “what brings you all the way out here to the Weird … sorry, Wild West as it were?”


"Captain Ellsworth if you please my good man." Ellsworth answers in a polite and warm tone. "I'm late of Africa and on my way to a new posting in Canada, I wished to tour the continent before I arrived there. I also didn't want to arrive in the middle of a Canadian winter straight from an African summer."


Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Rolls carried

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:

John Baxter wrote:
“Mr Archibald wasn’t it?” he turned to speak to the Englishman, “what brings you all the way out here to the Weird … sorry, Wild West as it were?”


"Captain Ellsworth if you please my good man." Ellsworth answers in a polite and warm tone. "I'm late of Africa and on my way to a new posting in Canada, I wished to tour the continent before I arrived there. I also didn't want to arrive in the middle of a Canadian winter straight from an African summer."



“My apologies Captain Ellsworth,” John smiled, “what brings one of the British Empire’s finest to this quite …” he mused on his words, blowing a couple of notes into his harmonica as he did so, “flea bitten back of beyond is probably a good description?”

John deliberated whether to comment on the British occupation of Detroit, but decided against it; a Captain had no choice in the decisions of his government. Still, he could needle him another time about it if he felt like it.

He felt a slight twinge of pain in his left leg and leaned his body to rub the affected area. The Sawbones did tell him that he’d get twinges of pain sometimes. Since the choice had really been between pain or no leg, he was going to have to cope with the pain.


NEXT DAY

Armed with Sutter's down payment, John went to the general store, waiting until after Hope had left before entering the store. As he perused the wares, John chatted to the owner, generally making him more affable.

OOC Comments
see post above for persuasion roll
Not sure what bonuses that will provide

prices include uplift
Bowie Knife ($5)
Lariat ($5)
Rope 50' ($5)
.45 Rifle x50 ($5)
.44 Pistol x50 ($3.75)
Speed-load cylinder ($3.75)
Mess Kit ($2.5)
Total - $30

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benny raised an eyebrow at John's willingness to sleep in the stable with him. The other man must really want to avoid the fiery redheaded woman and not take any chances. He gave a shrug and a grin. "Makes no nevermind t'me. Animals, people, or jus' me, sleep'll happen regardless!" He wasn't so sure about Hope. She seemed nice enough so long as you weren't the one who killed someone she knew.

He heard the sigh, and some of the possible emotions behind it, and gave a slow nod. "We'll make sure we gots plenty o'whisky fer that tale. Gotta couple tales myself that'll put up the hairs on the back o'yer neck or give ya nightmares fer the rest o'yer life! At least, they did t'me!" He shook his head. He had heard of the so-called 'men in black' that sometimes showed up. He'd managed to avoid meeting them himself, and wasn't keen to change that. He had a feeling that they might feel obliged to help him back to a long restful vacation on his back.

After John walked away he said to Hope, "Leavin' us already? Shoot. Well if so, then I wish you a well an' good night, ladies!"

He grinned and took another long pull from a whisky bottle. The alcohol starting to sink in and saturate enough to start to overcome his other odor.


Note to Marshal
Benny will attempt to, in addition to buying some bottles of the cheap stuff tomorrow, wait til everyone else is gone or preoccupied and make off with as many bottles as he thinks he can. Gotta drink a bottle every 2-3 days to stay 'pickled' after all - but he doesn't want to just clean the poor bartender out completely neither.

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 8
Notice 1d6+2 = 3 (1)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Explodes 1d6 (2)


John Baxter wrote:
“My apologies Captain Ellsworth,” John smiled, “what brings one of the British Empire’s finest to this quite …” he mused on his words, blowing a couple of notes into his harmonica as he did so, “flea bitten back of beyond is probably a good description?”


"I wintered in Savannah in Georgia after sailing across the Atlantic." Answered Archibald. "Then set out westwards by way of New Orleans with the intent of visiting the Great Maze before heading north to Canada."

"I alighted here to find a bed for the night rather than endure the train." Continued Archibald after he sips his tea. "I'll be the first to admit that the town lacks a certain charm but I've stayed in worse during my time serving Queen and Country."


Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 7
Notice 1d6 (6), Wild 1d6 (1)
Ace 1d6 (1)


His pockets a little heavier, Jackson makes his way to pick up some additional supplies for the journey. Fortunately, his baggage already included a number of useful items for the trail, but one could never be too prepared, could one?

It was while perusing that he spots it: the latest issue of New Science! He practically squees when he sees it, and cannot put his 10 dollars down fast enough for it. He had moved out before the latest issue had arrived, and he had worried he'd miss it.
New Science Topic Ground Vehicles
Topic 1d20 (1)


From there, he grabs some more trail rations and gives a good, long look at a shotgun on the wall. It's not nearly as nice as what he could make himself, but the mechanism on this one is quite functional and allows for multiple cartridges to be fired without reloading... and, besides, he's a sucker for gunmetal. He picks up the shotgun and some shells, for experimentation if for nothing else.

Crit Fail on Persuasion for Better Prices
Persuasion 1d4-2 = -1 (1)
Wild 1d6-2 = -1 (1)

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 pm
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
***

Hope looked over at the dark-haired woman. “Guess it’s you an’ me, sister,” she said. “Shall we head up?” She grabbed a bottle of whiskey from under the bar to take up with them.

***
Notice 11
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (5)


”I like your style,” Bishop smiles. ”There’s few things better for making friends than good whiskey.”

After a night of rest Bishop heads to the store. Well, I don’t need much but it’s always a good idea to get more trail rations. I wish I knew more of what to expect of what’s to come but I guess it wouldn’t be much of an adventure if there weren’t any surprises.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:17 pm
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 22st 1880 7:30 AM
Fear Level:2


The next morning comes sooner than anyone expected and the whiskey leaves much later than anyone prefers. Jeb has coffee going and something going in the kitchen. More beans. Seems the only thing this town has to offer in culinary variety is the type of bean Jeb serves up. Looks like red beans this morning and if your fortunate this morning, there just might be a hunk of bacon at the bottom of the bowl.

Jeb serves up the first round but any late risers or calls for seconds, he leaves up to you.

“Wagon’s out front. I’m leaving in a couple of hours and will take anyone to the Sutter Ranch that wants a ride. If you want a little hair of the dog, you know where to find it.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After breakfast, you wander over to Pettinger’s Supply. Pettinger looks like a bloated horny toad. He gives a distracted wave and welcome when you come in, but seems to be intent on pouring over what appears to be accounting books. When it appears you are actually paying customers and its mentioned Sutter has given you advances against his account, the old man’s beady eyes light up and he pays a bit more attention.

“Well now, we don’t get many folks through here. Most are just drifters or locals. Don’t know why I thought was a good idea to set up shop way out here, but come, come, I have what you need and more. Let me know what I can help you with and if I don’t have it, you probably don’t need it! Heh, heh…”

Pettinger then busies himself to make sure each of you finds what you need, lamenting on the difficulty of getting stock this far out, lack of customers, and how down on his luck he is. The dust on the shelves and items seems to confirm that, but you are able to find just about everything you are looking for.

Hope
Pettinger pushes his spectacles up his nose at the gesture. “Ahem, well we can’t have you riding the Goodnight-Loving Trail looking like that, now can we? Hope gets everything at book cost with the Persuasion success.


John
Pettinger is a tough nut to crack, but it’s obvious he is lonely out here and stories of the trail keep his attention. He looks down at what you finally place on the counter and asks for the items at cost. “Thank you for your business Mr. Baxter. You are welcome here any time.” John gets his items at book cost with the Persuasion success


Benny
Jeb is in and out loading up the buckboard wagon out front. It’s easy to grab a few bottles. You also notice a barrel of rotgut that hasn’t been tapped. Jeb doesn’t ask any questions if you load it up yourself.


Jackson
With a raise you get Smith and Robards items at cost, his stock is mainly for show so it's only two deep for items $100 or more. Three deep for anything less than $100.


Archibald and Bishop
If you want to make a persuasion check to get a better deal on anything you may want, you can do so. You’ll be part of a large cattle drive so rations won’t be much of an issue.


Pettinger thanks you all profusely for your business buts its apparent he wants to get back to his books as he fiddles with the stub of a pencil behind his ear. Jeb is ready to go when you are. There is enough room for someone to ride shotgun and two others to ride in the back of the open wagon. The rest of you follow along on your horses. The ride takes you up into the hills outside of town and you get a good view of the winding Vermilion line just before you head into some scrub pines. The sun was just starting to warm things up, but its quickly deterred by the trees and the whole ride borders on uncomfortably chilly. Just before midday, you break out of the treeline and cross a fence line into some pastures. It's’ not too long after that you see a modest but adequate ranch house and outbuildings bustling with activity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation for a cattle drive is the busiest time around a ranch. The hands stay busy from dawn until dark, and often beyond, gathering stray cattle and horses, branding, and readying their gear for months on the trail. Experienced cowboys say it’s rougher work than most actual drives.

To make matters worse, Sutter is working on an accelerated timetable since he wants to hit the trail just as soon as possible, so he explains that the Lazy S hands work six-and-a-half days a week. He allows his hands a half-day off on Sunday mornings for those that feel the calling to hear a sermon by the circuit preacher but most choose to sleep in, some to recover a little from the work week and the rest to recover from cards and whiskey on Saturday night.

The work is tiring and often brutal. And it doesn’t end with nightfall either. Everyone is expected to spend two hours each night riding the edges of the herd to keep it together and protect it from predators—animal, human…and otherwise.

Exhausting Work
The morning after each day’s work, I’ll need a Vigor roll (at –4, or –2 f with
the Brawny Edge). A failed roll means you are saddled with a Fatigue level from the previous day’s exertion. The good news is that the Fatigue never gets worse than one level, but the bad news is that you are only free of it on days that begin with a successful Vigor roll. A full eight hours’ rest also removes the Fatigue. I’ll keep the time updated in the beginning of the GM posts and also remind you when these rolls are needed


The first task Sutter, now all business, puts on your plate plate is a relatively “tame” one. It’s also one that’s likely to wind up causing more than one bruise for any of the less savvy riders in the group. Over the past couple of weeks, the other cowboys on the Lazy S have been rounding up wild horses to serve as backups during the drive. To get the your measure, Sutter assigns you to one of his trusted cowboys, Luke Canton, to help break horses for the saddle. Luke has half-a-dozen new mustangs in the corral he needs to saddle break.

“Y’all are the rookies so this is on you. Get it done by chowtime. Don’t make me look bad in front of Mr. Sutter. Be careful of ol’ Devil Eyes though, he’s a bit feisty.”

He then goes back to a ‘less strenuous’ task of cleaning and oiling saddles.

From what you can see, five of the six are run-of-the-mill animals, but the sixth is the one known as “Devil Eyes” around the ranch. So far, no one’s been able to break the animal and it seems to take hellish pleasure in tossing off riders that try. Though none admit it, all the other hands are scared of the beast.

What are you doing?


_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7 (5)
Wild 1d6 (4)


Archibald bid his newfound comrades goodnight and headed up to one for the rooms to sleep. Come morning he breakfasted with everyone else, though opted for a cup of tea of his own making rather than Jeb's coffee. He then wanders over to the general store, wearing his pith helmet whilst out of doors, and nods a greeting to the storekeeper before browsing the wares on offer. He decides to stock up on smoking tobacco for his pipe and extra ammunition for his revolver, not wishing to be caught short before they reached another town.

Store
Persuasion 1d4-2 = 0 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)

.44 Revolver ammo x20 $3.75
Tobacco, smoking (pouch) x2 $1.25
Matches (box of 100) x1 $0.63

(Prices with 25% markup)





After he's done at the store, Archibald joins the others and mounts up on one of the horses to give the womenfolk the option of the wagon. He admires the view of the surrounding scrubland, thinking back to the savanna in African as a comparison. He is secretly glad that the horse he's riding is fairly mellow. With the others he follows Canton over to the corral where the new horses are waiting to be broken in., making a note of and keeping a wary eye on the beast the ranch hands have called 'Devil Eyes'.

"Well chaps..." He says after observing the horses for a moment. "Looks like we ought to give this our best shot."


Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:30 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benny was ready to go after he made his purchases. He saddled up his horse and stayed behind the wagon and to the side slightly. He listened to Sutter, and some of what was told he knew or had guessed. This was to be his first real cattle drive, but he'd heard about them plenty in his time, and he'd help get things ready for one once. Trying to rush it like Sutter was doing could be dangerous, tiring and make men irritable.

He eyed the man, Luke, when he spoke and pushed the 'rookie work' off on them. He shook his head lightly but didn't argue. He simply mounted back up and got his rope ready. He chose one of the horses and tried to isolate it and get it ready for a rider. He used the lariat and his own horse's saddle (and the strength of his horse) to help try and make the attempt.

However, living up to the nickname he hated so much, the horse bucked and broke free, even going so far as to yank him from his saddle as it tore off running. Benny let out a string of curses.

GM Note for Liquor
Oh then heck yes Benny will grab the keg! Thanks!

Day 1 Vigor roll 5
No Penalty.
Vigor die 1d6 (4), Wild die 1d6 (5)

Throwing to lasso the horse 5
Throwing die 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (5).

Riding to 'grab' the horse
-2 to total.
Riding die 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (2).

IGNORE AS I ROLLED A 1 ON THE RIDING DIE:
Red chip: 1d6 (2).

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 8, 14 Minutes to Make a Boost or Lower Trait Gadget, Vigor 9
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Time to craft a boost/lower Trait device with Gadgeteer 1d20 (14) minutes
Gadget has 10 PP

Vigor 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Wild Ace 1d6 (3)


After inspecting the horses, Jackson understands something quite clearly: he is not cut out for the task set before him. He can ride, certainly, and he knows a little about breaking a horse, in theory, but he has never done it. Working as a team certainly seems the best option, and he has an idea about the best way he can contribute to a team effort!

”Give me a few moments, here,” he tells the others, and goes for his tools and whatever else he can find lying around. After just about a qurter of an hour of work, he comes back to the group holding what appears to be a medieval style guantlet, but is actually just a leather work glove modified with layers of scap metal, gears, what appears to be a spent shotgun cartridge casing, and a small crank. He puts the glove on his right hand (Jackson’s off hand) and gives it a few good cranks with his left. The palm begins to glow and spark with blue light, and he lets out a loud ”Ha!” as he raises his hand triumphantly in the air.

”It is truly remarkable what one can do with a tiny amount of Ghost Rock powder and the proper electrical current,” he says. ”A touch with this glove will invigorate the mind and body and give whoever is on the receiving end a temporary, ah, jolt of competence in whatever they set their mind to. It’s really quite like adrenaline in that way, actually, but powered by science and available at a moment’s notice! Of course, a different voltage can also be used to negatively affect whoever is on the receiving end... Oh, but don’t worry! This one is calibrated to be helpful, I can assure you. So, who would like to try the saddling? I can give it a go, but even with help I am afraid that I am far from an expert. That said, of course I would be happy to give anyone a dose with the glove to make the going easier.”
Trappings
The glove has the “Jolt” trapping for helpful applications (a free roll to unshake on a raise) and the “Spasms” trapping if used to lower a target’s Trait (target must make a Vigor roll or be at -2 to parry until their next action).

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (2)
Wild dice 1d6 (3)

Having managed to bargain the shopkeeper down, he paid up and left, making sure that Hope was out of easy range to pull another gun on him. He’d left his last knife in whatever had gone for his leg, so having one back on his belt felt good. He should be able to handle most things the West could throw at him now.
Storing his newly acquired items in his saddle bags, he rode after the wagon.

Next day
John slept well, though he kept a heavy object against the door just in case Hope took leave of her senses again and tried to plug him.

They were detailed to break in a few horses, especially the one that the others were afraid or failed to do so. New guys (and gals) on the range; of course they’d get the grunt work.

"Breaking horses is always fun," John winked at Archibald, "as long as somebody knows what they are doing with the other end of a rope and its golden. Just watch out for it kicking you in the head." John adjusted his hat so it wouldn't instantly fall off his head. He didn't have high hopes for it staying on his head unless the horse was particularly meek.

“Ah Benny, I see animals love you as much as ever.” John chuckled, holding his hand to help Benny to his feet, “get me on that horse and I’ll tame him!”
As Benny held the horse steady, John climbed atop the horse, blowing a few notes on his harmonica for good luck before he did so.
“Let him go,” John told Benny, sounding confident. At least with this, the fact I basically limp along won’t be a problem.

OOC Comments
Vigour 1d6 (5) first day so presuming we don't need the roll
Riding 1d8 (5)
Wild dice 1d6 (5)

Weird thing is using a lariat is a fighting roll
presuming that John is on the one Benny roped and that the rope is still attached
Lets try a normal horse first, then move onto Devil Eyes

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 4 Success
Notice 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (4)


***

Hope cursed a bit as the sunlight stung her eyes. Too much whiskey. Again. A short prayer fixed that up. These weird new abilities God had given her did come in handy sometimes. Resignedly, Hope packed up her nice dress and put on a more functional work skirt and blouse, though she kept the laces on the blouse a bit loose so the girls could breathe and work their magic, because today she needed to go shopping for some real trail clothes, and from what Sutter had said, this Pettinger would be a tough dealer.

Half an hour later, Hope left Pettinger’s shop with a grin. She’d gotten a good deal. Pettinger was just like other men. A pretty face, some cleavage, a pout, and they were much more malleable. Maybe some tears, if they were particularly ornery.

Hope loaded her kit up into the back of the wagon and took a seat on the box next to the driver. The air was a bit chilly, so she pulled on her new duster and settled down for the ride, pulling the small black book from the waistband of her skirt to read a bit of the Holy Writ. She did spare a few moments to glare at Johnny Baxter, though. Unfortunately, the damn piece of Scripture she was reading was all about forgiveness.

Why does this have to be so hard, Lord? Hope prayed. It never seemed this difficult with Daddy.

Hope tucked the book away again when Sutter’s ranch came into view. The place was a bustle of activity. They were put up in a bunk house, Hope being assigned with the other women folk. Most of them weren’t hands, but they were busy packing up the house for the complete removal of the Sutter’s entire life.

The next morning, Hope put on the men’s clothes she’d bought. The ladies had a large glass they shared, and she checked herself out in the mirror with a frown. “So unflattering,” the attractive redhead sighed. She unbuttoned a couple of the buttons of her shirt and then settled the black Stetson on her head before heading out to begin the day.

Vigor 3 Fail
Vigor 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Unfortunately, the beds in the bunkhouse hadn’t been all that comfortable, and most of the women picked up right off just what Hope’s profession was -- or had been. She hadn’t exactly made any friends from the “honest women”.

Hope yawned and set her jaw in determination. Damn honest women. What would they do if they’d been in her situation, alone, hundreds of miles from home, with her man six feet under Boot Hill without even a marker on his grave because of God damn Johnny Baxter?

Hope sighed and crossed herself. I’m sorry, Lord, she muttered. I’m trying. But old habits die hard. Think you can help out?

Succor 1 Fail
-2 Novice power, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-1 = 1 (2)
Wild 1d6-1 = 0 (1)


No soothing warmth came, and she was even more exhausted. Hope gritted her teeth in frustration. “Fine! Lesson learned!” she snapped, striding over to the pens where the wild mustangs had been corralled and they had been assigned for their first chore. She was tired enough she didn’t even glare at Baxter.

Hope listened to her instructions and blinked, staring at Sutter and Luke. “Seriously?” she asked, staring at the horses. She’d learned to ride nags and gentle mares, but mostly she rode wagons and coaches growing up. Or walked. They weren’t exactly a wealthy family, her father just the pastor of a country church. “You want me to ride that?

Watching Benny get thrown didn’t make her any more eager to give it a try. Hope looked around. Old habits died hard. She eyed Luke, oiling the saddles and tackle. Hope undid a couple more buttons, making sure he could have a good look at the girls, and sashayed over with some sway in her hips.

“Luke, sugar,” Hope said coyly. “I don’t suppose you might show me how a real cowboy does it, so I can learn? I did hear the ladies say you were the best ride on the ranch.” She batted her long lashes over her green eyes, leaning forward a bit to present the girls. “I’d be ever so grateful.” She put a hand on his arm. Men liked that.

Persuasion 6 Success! Trying to get at least one horse done for us!
-2 Fatigue
Persuasion 1d8 (6)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

Conditions
-1 Fatigue (Exhausting Work, can’t go over 1)
-1 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation or night’s sleep)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Rolls
Notice 1d6+2 = 7 (5)
Wild 1d6 (6)

Vigor (if needed) 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (2)


Archibald watches Benny's and John's attempts, then frowns. He's never been any good at throwing, even in sports, and it seemed that using what these Yanks called a 'lasso' require more than a passing familiarity in order to use it. Now he had some experience with riding horses in Her Majesty's British Army, admittedly he'd never attempted to break one in. It seemed like a battle of wills between man and beast, least until something got broken. It occurred to Archibald that he at least try 'breaking in' a horse and besides, it seemed unfair to ask or even expect the burden to fall upon the womenfolk.

With his course of action set, Archibald empties out his pipe and places it and his backpack to one side. Next he took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, thought kept the pith helmet squarely on his head. He turned to the others and call out, "I say chaps, if one of you would be so kind as to rope one of the beasts I shall attempt to 'break it' as I believe the term is."

"Mr Jackson," Archibald says, looking at the young mad scientist. "If you'll please with your gadget, thank you."

Riding Rolls
Archibald waits until somebody else has roped a horse, then will attempt to ride it. He's making use of Jackon's gizmo to boost his Riding skill, one three rolls to represent normal roll and then a roll each depending on whether Jackson's gizmo gets a raise or not.

RED CHIP spent.

Riding (Normal) 1d4 (3) 1d6 (4) 7
Riding (One step) 1d6 (1) 1d6 (5) 6
Riding (Two step/raise) 1d8 (1) 1d6 (3) 4
Wild 1d6 (3)


Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
(Rolls Held)

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
Rolls
Notice Original post: 1d6+2 = 7 (5)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (6)

Vigor (if needed) Original post: 1d6 (1)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (2)


Archibald watches Benny's and John's attempts, then frowns. He's never been any good at throwing, even in sports, and it seemed that using what these Yanks called a 'lasso' require more than a passing familiarity in order to use it. Now he had some experience with riding horses in Her Majesty's British Army, admittedly he'd never attempted to break one in. It seemed like a battle of wills between man and beast, least until something got broken. It occurred to Archibald that he at least try 'breaking in' a horse and besides, it seemed unfair to ask or even expect the burden to fall upon the womenfolk.

With his course of action set, Archibald empties out his pipe and places it and his backpack to one side. Next he took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, thought kept the pith helmet squarely on his head. He turned to the others and call out, "I say chaps, if one of you would be so kind as to rope one of the beasts I shall attempt to 'break it' as I believe the term is."

"Mr Jackson," Archibald says, looking at the young mad scientist. "If you'll please with your gadget, thank you."

Riding Rolls
Archibald waits until somebody else has roped a horse, then will attempt to ride it. He's making use of Jackon's gizmo to boost his Riding skill, one three rolls to represent normal roll and then a roll each depending on whether Jackson's gizmo gets a raise or not.

RED CHIP spent.

Riding (Normal) Original post: 1d4 (3) Original post: 1d6 (4) 7
Riding (One step) Original post: 1d6 (1) Original post: 1d6 (5) 6
Riding (Two step/raise) Original post: 1d8 (1) Original post: 1d6 (3) 4
Wild Original post: 1d6 (3)


Elated at the prospect of testing his new gadget immediately, Jackson nods and says, ”Of course!” He approaches the good captain and reaches out his gloved hand, placing it on the man’s shoulder and giving him a jolt that should help him ride more effectively.
Weird Science to Operate the Gadget 13, Increase Riding by 2 Die Types
Weird Science 1d8 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace! 1d6 (6)
Ace again! 1d6 (1)
Device spends 2 of 10 PP
Archibald receives an increase of 2 die types to his riding skill

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benny untangled himself from the rope and let out another curse. He felt that the wind had been knocked out of him a bit, and he was slow to get back up. He tried to catch his breath and his back creaked a bit, causing him to wince. He shook his head and then his fist at the horse.

He decided instead to just lasso the horses for the others to ride. He didn't think his back could take another drop like that today.

Vigor after being thrown
Vigor die 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (1)

2nd Lasso for others
-1 to total.
Lasso die 1d6 (5), Wild die 1d6 (2).

2nd Riding attempt to lasso a horse for someone
-3 to total.
Riding die 1d6 (4), Wild die 1d6 (1)
Red Chip to add: 1d6 (5)

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
John kept riding throughout the day, with Benny carrying out the lassoing duties for him. Even when the horse bucks him, John just picks himself up and brushes himself off and gets on with things. Seemingly, John is indestructible.

OOC Comments
If Benny is going to be doing the lassoing

Attempt 2 1d8 (5) 1d6 (2)
Attempt 3 1d8 (1) 1d6 (3)
Attempt 4 1d8 (2) 1d6 (3)
Attempt 5 1d8 (6) 1d6 (1)

those rolls will probably end up with him on the floor

vigour rolls JIC 1d6 (5) 1d6 (6)
1d6 (1) 1d6 (5)
1d6 (2) 1d6 (6)
1d6 (5) 1d6 (6)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 11 and Vigor 4
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (5)
Vigor 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (1)


I might be less prepared for this than I thought. How did I not realize a cattle drive would involve throwing? I could try using my bow to hexsling but people can get so finicky about magic and I don’t know these folks well enough to take that risk quite yet.
Bishop approaches the horses, being careful to avoid the one known as ‘Devil Eyes.’ ”I’m afraid my lasso throwing skills are non-existent. If someone would be so kind as to help me get hold of the horse I’d be happy to try and take it from there.”
Bishop wasn’t feeling very confident in her abilities to break a horse- hers had come already broken and friendly as can be. Things would be a great deal easier if they were being asked to plug something full of arrows instead but killing off the livestock wouldn’t be too helpful she supposes. She prepares herself for a rough ride; after watching Benny get thrown even the horses not nicknamed ‘Devil Eyes’ are looking more intimidating.

Riding 8
Riding 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (2)

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (1)


***

Hoping her flirtations earned the help of Luke, Hope turned back to the horses to see what else she could do. She eyed the horses and the others trying to ride them. Could she help make this easier.

Lord, think you could help me...tame these beasts a bit?

Beast Friend 4 Success
-2 Novice spell, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-2 = 1 (3)
Wild 1d6-2 = 0 (2)
White Benny to reroll
Faith 1d8-2 = 2 (4)
Wild 1d6-2 = 4 (6)


Hope picked up a lariat and walked toward Devil Eyes. “Hello, lovely,” she spoke soothingly to the horse that the others were afraid of. “What are you so ornery about?” She stroked his neck soothingly. “Surely we can come to some sort of agreement. I saw a lovely barrel of apples in the barn. Maybe I can get you some? But you have to be a good boy and cooperate. Let us get this saddle on you, take a little run around the paddock. I bet you’d like that. The sooner you behave, then we can get you out of here and let you run a bit. So let’s be a good boy.”

Slowly she tried to slip the lariat around Devil Eyes’ neck, speaking soothingly the entire time.

Persuasion 8 Raise
-2 Fatigue
Persuasion 1d8 (7)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (2)


A few more Persuasion rolls for the other horses
Persuasion 1d8 (2) - 2 Fail
Wild 1d6 (2)
Persuasion 1d8 (1) - 3 Fail
Wild 1d6 (3)
Persuasion 1d8 (6) - 8 Raise
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (2)
Persuasion 1d8 (6) - 6 Success
Wild 1d6 (3)
Persuasion 1d8 (7) 7 Success
Wild 1d6 (3)


***

Conditions
-1 Fatigue (Exhausting Work, can’t go over 1)
-1 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation or night’s sleep)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 22st 1880 3:10 PM
Fear Level:2


Benny’s initial efforts prove so entertaining, that Luke forgets his task and decides to watch how the horse breaking works out. He’s even called over some of the other hands and before long you all have quite the audience.

True to his name, fortune does not favor Benny. His first attempt at roping one of the horses goes wide. Well, wide is an understatement as he lets the lariat go directly behind him and ends up roping Bishop’s horse. The surprise and shock cause the horse to rear up before Bishop can get it back under control and jerk Benny from his saddle to land in the dust. The audible thump draws some snickers from the crowd as Benny picks himself up and dusts off his hat and trousers.

His second attempt is far better and he manages to easily rope one of the mustangs and hand the lasso off to John. John’s chuckling is short lived as the horse proves stronger than expected. He’s able to hold on and fight the horse to a stalemate for a little while, but the horse bucks and jerks and pulls John down into the dirt as well. Luckily, Bishop is close by and able to grab the lariat and with a quick turn on her with her own horse, she takes the mustang by surprise and brings it under control.

John
I got to your third riding roll with the horses opposed strength, but you made your first Vigor roll so you did not fall too hard
By this time, Jackson has cobbled together hsi riding gloves for Archibald to wear. The other ranch hands whisper to each other and some of them spit in the dirt or make the sign of the cross. They are obviously unnerved by the glowing contraption. But whatever Science! or magic is involved, the gloves work. Archibald manages to stay on the horse and wear it down somewhat. The mustang isn’t done yet, so he’ll need to stay on and see if the gloves can continue to help him break the beast.

Archibald
Noted on your purchases and you managed to give the mustang one level of fatigue


With all the attention focused on the others, no one really pays attention to Hope approaching Devil Eyes. She’s exhausted and a little hungover and is questioning what the hell she is even thinking approaching this beast. True to its name, the horses eyes roll in its head as it paws at the ground at her approach. As soothingly and as slow as possible, Hope continues to approach. Something about her voice keeps Devil Eyes from stomping her flat, but although he is not outwardly hostile to her, he’s not cooperating either. Closing her eyes and murmuring a prayer for guidance, Hope feels the power of her faith in the air around her. When she opens her eyes, Devil Eyes is inches from her face staring at her intently. It’s all she can do from jumping out of her skin. With a quick thank you to the Lord above (and a promise to go easier on the hooch) she pats Devil Eyes’ neck and gets a saddle on him.

Despite his allowance of Hope climbing aboard, he isn’t too happy about it. He kicks up a little dust and begins a gallop around the corral. Hope holds on and continues to whisper into his ear and stroke the horses neck. Amazingly, after a few times around the corral, Devil Eyes begins to accept her and soon she is calling the shots on speed and direction.

Hope
Your first persuasion roll allowed you to approach. Your Beast Friend Success allowed you to saddle and mount up. Your subsequent persuasion rolls I used in place of the Riding vs Spirit rolls for breaking a horse. Your first success was key as the Fatigue levels suffered made your next two a success as well. Devil Eyes is now yours but will only answer to you--he’s not broken for anyone else. Use the stats for a warhorse but keep Agility at d8, Pace at 10, and Size at +2. Give yourself a Fate Chip!


Everyone is amazed and shocked that the legendary Devil Eyes is under control. Hope gets a round of congratulations and whistles from the hands but soon it’s back to work. Out of the other five horses, only one has a rider and four have not even been roped yet.

What are you doing?

OOC Comments
I think we are going to switch to action cards as trying to do it all at once as that was kind of confusing for me at least. I realize that might slow things down, but feel free to ignore multi-action penalties as this is a pseudo-combat situation and post several rolls and contingency rolls for your character. The action cards will help me determine the order on how things play out.


Archibald KS
Benny 4H
Bishop 6D
Hope QC
Jackson 5H
John KH

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 9
Notice 1d6+2 = 8 (6)
Explodes 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (5)


"That's it, good horse." Archibald mutters and very gingerly pats the horse. "Don't try to throw me and I'll see about an apple for your troubles."

Archibald continues to ride the horse around the corral in hopes of tiring it and thus hopefully 'break it in' as the ranch hands would say.

Riding rolls
Going to continue riding the horse, Jackson's boost is still in effect.

Probably going to regret this...RED CHIP spent.

Riding 1d8 (5) + 1d6 (4) = 9
Wild 1d6 (5)


Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 5 Success
Notice 1d4 (3)
Wild 1d6 (5)


***

“Good boy,” Hope told Devil’s Eye, patting his neck and kissing between his ears. She led him over to the post and secured him, then went inside to retrieve an apple. “There you go, as promised,” she told the horse, feeding him the apple. She flashed a flirtatious smile at the amazed cowhands and Luke watching.

Hope left the saddle on Devil’s Eye to let him get used to it, but otherwise let him wander free before turning to help the others.

“Who’s next?” she asked. She decided to let Johnny Baxter get tossed on his head a few more times and went over to Jackson. “Need some help?” she asked.

Fingering her cross necklace, Hope said another prayer. She took up a lariat once more.

Beast Friend 4 Success
-2 Novice, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-2 = 4 (6)
Wild 1d6-2 = 0 (2)


When the beast calmed, Hope caressed its neck and forehead again, slipping the rope lightly over its head.

“That’s a good girl,” she said. “Now this is Jackson.” She held her hand out to the awkward young man, pulling him close to her and the horse, putting his hand out so the horse could sniff it. “He’s a good man. We’re going to put a saddle on you and he’s going to ride you. It won’t hurt. And if you’re a good girl, we’ll give you an apple. Look at Devil’s Eye over there. Even he let me ride him.”

Persuasion 5 Success
-2 Fatigue
Persuasion 1d8 (5)
Wild 1d6 (2)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:56 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice
1d8 (1)
Wild dice 1d6 (2)

John dusted himself off none the worse for wear as the horse tossed him off its back.
“Ornery little bugger ain’t ya,” John grinned, knocking the dust off himself with his hat, before putting it back on, “if you’d like to do the honours again Benny, this horse is a being a bit of a pain.” He helped Jackson to his feet as well after his tumble.

“Good riding there Captain,” John congratulated Archibald, “were you cavalry back in the King’s army?”
OOC Comments
Riding 1d8 (7)
Wild dice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1) Total 7


Riding 1d8 (2)
Wild dice 1d6 (3) Falls off - 1st Vigour dice applies


Riding 1d8 (1)
Wild dice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (6)
Ace again 1d6 (2)

Vigour rolls
1d6 (6)
wild dice 1d6 (2)
ace 1d6 (6)

1d6 (6)
wild dice 1d6 (2)
1d6 (2)
wild dice 1d6 (3)
ace 1d6 (4)



As Hope whispered to Devil Eyes, he watched the composure of the horse change.
‘What is she? A horse whisperer?’ John pondered, wondering how she did it. He’d heard stories of all kind of weird things and maybe it was one of those.

OOC Comments
Knowledge Occult 1d6 (1)
Wild dice 1d6 (5)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:14 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice
Notice 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (5)


”Hey Jackson, you got any more zaps left on that nifty device of yours?” Bishop asks, wondering how similarly his science works to her bow.
OOC Comments
I’m going on hold until after Jackson’s turn.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 3
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (2)


Hope Monaghan wrote:
Notice 5 Success
Notice Original post: 1d4 (3)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (5)


***

“Good boy,” Hope told Devil’s Eye, patting his neck and kissing between his ears. She led him over to the post and secured him, then went inside to retrieve an apple. “There you go, as promised,” she told the horse, feeding him the apple. She flashed a flirtatious smile at the amazed cowhands and Luke watching.

Hope left the saddle on Devil’s Eye to let him get used to it, but otherwise let him wander free before turning to help the others.

“Who’s next?” she asked. She decided to let Johnny Baxter get tossed on his head a few more times and went over to Jackson. “Need some help?” she asked.

Fingering her cross necklace, Hope said another prayer. She took up a lariat once more.

Beast Friend 4 Success
-2 Novice, -2 Fatigue
Faith Original post: 1d8-2 = 4 (6)
Wild Original post: 1d6-2 = 0 (2)


When the beast calmed, Hope caressed its neck and forehead again, slipping the rope lightly over its head.

“That’s a good girl,” she said. “Now this is Jackson.” She held her hand out to the awkward young man, pulling him close to her and the horse, putting his hand out so the horse could sniff it. “He’s a good man. We’re going to put a saddle on you and he’s going to ride you. It won’t hurt. And if you’re a good girl, we’ll give you an apple. Look at Devil’s Eye over there. Even he let me ride him.”

Persuasion 5 Success
-2 Fatigue
Persuasion Original post: 1d8 (5)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (2)


At a momentary loss for words at the ease with which Hope tamed Jackson's horse, he gives her a quick tip of his bowler hat. "Ma'am, I hope you don't mind my saying, but that is uncanny. How do you do it?" Curiosity pours from the young man as he asks his question.

Bishop wrote:
Notice
Notice Original post: 1d6 (1)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (5)


”Hey Jackson, you got any more zaps left on that nifty device of yours?” Bishop asks, wondering how similarly his science works to her bow.
OOC Comments
I’m going on hold until after Jackson’s turn.


Jackson gives a wide grin. "Of course, miss! Now brace yourself: this may shock a bit." Jackson places the palm of his hand on Bishop's shoulder and gives her a jolt.
Boost Trait 4, Success
Weird science 1d8 (4)
Wild 1d6 (3)
Success! Raises Bishop's throwing ability by one die type
-2 PP, 6 left

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Benny was tired and sore, and it began to show. He tossed the lasso, and pulled it back after missing, a bit slower and slower after each toss. He was clearly not doing as well as some of the others. He let out a string of curse words after every failure. They got more inventive and bit initially louder before trailing off in to unintelligible mutterings.

He wiped his brow and took a drink as he watched Hope very ably calm and tame the so-called 'Devil Eyes' with relative ease. He shook his head in wonderment. She was a looker AND very talented to boot! She was going to make some lucky man very crazy some day...or maybe a whole lot of them!

After a while he leaned tiredly against a fence post - well, more like slumped over it, draped like a wet blanket, after his hard fall and failures.


3rd Lasso attempt, for others
-2 to total.
Lasso die 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (3).

White chip: Lasso die 1d6 (1), Wild die 1d6 (4)

3rd Riding attempt, to lasso a horse for someone
-3 to total.
Riding die 1d6 (5), Wild die 1d6 (6), Ace 1d6 (3).

_________________
Bad Luck Benny
Character Summary
Human Unlucky Cowboy
Active Effects:
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Weapon in hand: Evans Old Model Sporter or Bowie Knife
Edges: Cat Eyes, Harrowed, Stitchin'
Hindrances: Bollixed, Grim Servant o’ Death, Short Temper, Trouble Magnet
Powers:
Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3
Adventure Card:

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Deadlands


Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 22st 1880 3:15 PM
Fear Level:2


As the afternoon wears on, the sun doesn’t make it any easier getting these horses under control. Not only is it the hottest time of the day, but the corral is now a cloud of dust and grit that covers everything.

Archibald manages to continue to get the horse he is riding under control although it is taking all of his concentration and strength to do so. It looks like the horse might have a little more fight left as it whips its head back and forth, but it seems like the Englishman just might have the upper hand.

Hope manages to get another horse under control. No one knows how she is doing it, but her kind words and demeanor allow another horse to wander over and allow a saddle to be put on it.

Bishop guides her horse out of the way and over towards Jackson, if he had some contraption that could help with this task they all should be using it.

Jackson is impressed by Hope but he can barely contain himself that the gloves he cobbled together are actually working! Not only that, Bishop is asking for his help. He gladly obliges and the gloves produce a green bolt that heightens her hand eye coordination.

Benny, unfazed by the choking dust, manages to rope and bring another horse under control. He is able to muscle the horse around and into position to get a saddle on it.

John waits for Benny to get another horse roped, not trusting whatever Hope is doing. He climbs aboard and manages to control the mustang’s initial bucks, but he is lulled into a false sense of security as he continues to wonder just how much he doesn’t know about the beautiful red-head that seems to have captivated all of the ranch hands. Luckily when the horse throws him, he is able to roll and avoid any serious injury. Ignoring the jeers from outside the corral, he climbs back on and focuses on the job. After another lap the horse is tiring and, like Archibald, is close to accepting a rider.

John
You know there is some sort of otherworldly power at play with Hope, but it isn’t like Jackson’s Weird Science and so far seems to be benevolent in nature


All
Archibald and John are riding two horses that both have two levels of fatigue. One more successful ride check from each of them and these mustangs will accept a rider. Hope has another one ready to go for a rider. Two mustangs still prance at the other end of the corral and need to be roped/befriended. The action order is mainly for my benefit, go ahead and post a couple actions and rolls if you want.



What are you doing?

Archibald 2D
Benny 10S
Bishop KC
Hope 2H
Jackson QS
John 6C

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 1 Fail
-2 Fatigue
Notice 1d4-2 = 0 (2)
Wild 1d6-2 = 1 (3)


***

Hope gave Jackson a flirtatious smile. “Well, guess I have a way with the ladies,” she said teasingly, patting his mare on the neck. “And the gents.” She nodded over to Devil Eyes. “And a bit of the good Lord’s blessings.” She figured she should give credit where credit was due., though she didn’t explicitly acknowledge the power she’d gotten.

Turning back to the corral, Hope surveys the situation. She used her sleeve to wipe sweat from her face and tightened up her braids a bit. John and Archibald seemed to have their horses generally under control. Two horses were still untamed at the other end, and Benny seemed to be having trouble.

Hope mounted up on the horse she had just tamed for Jackson. It danced around a bit, but didn’t throw her. She caught up another lariat and rode over to the horse Benny was working.

“Easy, boy,” Hope murmured, staring into the horse’s eye. “Look at this girl here. It isn’t so bad. And we have apples, and oats, and carrots we can feed you if you just cooperate and let us ride. Once we get on the trail, we can even let you run occasionally. Now be a good boy.”

Beast Friend 7 Success
+2 Conviction, -2 Novice power, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-2 = 0 (2)
Wild 1d6-2 = 4 (6)
Ace 1d6 (3)


Persuasion 13 2 Raises
-2 Fatigue
Faith 1d8 (8)
Ace 1d8 (5)
Wild 1d6 (5)


***

Conditions
-1 Fatigue (Exhausting Work, can’t go over 1)
-1 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation or night’s sleep)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7 (5)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Seem to be getting the hand of this... Archibald mused to himself, just as the horse whipped its head back and forth. [/i]...Just don't get too cocky old boy.[/i]

John Baxter wrote:
“Good riding there Captain,” John congratulated Archibald, “were you cavalry back in the King’s army?”


"Thank you Mr Baxter." Archibald called back, hoping that he didn't lose his concentration and be thrown by the horse. "No, I was in Her Majesty's Royal Engineers."

Archibald's fears almost came true as the horse suddenly reared and he had to grip the reins tightly.

Riding 4
Riding 1d8 (2)
Wild 1d6 (4)


Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (3)
wild 1d6 (6) ace 1d6 (2)

John mused on the abilities Hope was displaying; interesting from the soiled dove

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
"Thank you Mr Baxter." Archibald called back, hoping that he didn't lose his concentration and be thrown by the horse. "No, I was in Her Majesty's Royal Engineers."


"Well, it seems you have this one in hand. As long as we can brush it off, we'll be fine."

And we don't have to rely on the New Science guy to fix things.

Waiting for Benny to rope the horse again, he climbed back on.

OOC Comments
riding 1d8 (4)
wild 1d6 (6) ace 1d6 (6) 1d6 (3)
riding 1d8 (3)
wild 1d6 (6) 1d6 (1)
riding 1d8 (8) ace 1d8 (2)
wild 1d6 (5)

vigour 1d6 (2)
wild 1d6 (2)
vigour 1d6 (3)
wild 1d6 (2)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 10
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (3)

”Thank you mightily!” Bishop said to Jackson, then nodded towards Hope, ”We seems to have quite some talented people in this little crew.”
Okay, time to try this out. Worst that can happen is I screw up the throw. And look like a talentless hack next to my new compatriots. Great. No pressure. Bishop readies the rope to try and lasso the horse.
Throwing 5
Throwing 1d4 (3)
Wild 1d6 (5)

Bishop lets out a whoop when her throw succeeds. ”That device sure is something! I typically can’t hit the broad side of a barn with anything other than my bow.” She readies herself and climbs on the horse, hoping her experience riding her sweet Snowfall helps her with breaking this one.
Riding 4
Riding 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (4)

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 8
Notice 1d6 (6)
Wild 1d6 (3)
Ace 1d6 (2)


Emboldened by the success of his gauntlet (what should he call it?!), Jackson looks around for anyone else who would like a hand.

"Does anyone else want a shot of adrenaline and competence?" he asks? "It's worked well for Archibald and Bishop, I daresay." Turning to them, he says, "Or if either of you would like another? It should be perfectly safe to have more than one dose, I would think."

If Anyone Takes Him Up On His Offer
Weird Science 1d8 (3)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Fate Chip to re-roll (white)
1d8 (2)
1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (6)
Ace again 1d6 (1)

Target receives 2 die-type increase to Trait of choice (skill or attribute)
-1 Fate Chip
-2 PP (4 remaining in device)

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 22st 1880 3:15 PM
Fear Level:2


Archibald and John manage to get both their horses under control. Both of the mustangs can now be ridden. As Archibald and John lead the horses over towards Devil Eyes, they realize that the leader of this string still doesn’t like them and has only accepted Hope. It’s still best to keep a healthy distance as the big stallion stomps and snorts. Still, it allows the other mustangs to be corralled without getting too feisty, but John and Archibald realize they are better off getting back to help the others rather than rest on their laurels.

Bishop manages to rope another mustang easily enough but is unable to hold on as the horse jerks her from the saddle into the dirt. Jackson is close by and has a charge from his gadget ready to go, but it's too late to help the archer get things under control with this horse.

Bishop
Need a Vigor check as the horse you roped beat your ride check


Hope succeeds in getting on the horse she tamed with the Lord’s blessing. As she soothes the mustang into accepting a rider, the heavens smile on her yet again and allow her to approach the remaining horse and befriend it long enough to get a lariat around it. Perhaps it was the heat and dust or perhaps it was the rush from the power of the divine, but three thoughts occur to Hope in rapid succession.

  1. The horse I am on has allowed me to mount it, but hasn’t fully accepted me as a rider yet.
  2. Even if it does accept me as a rider through my gentle words, it will only be me and while that is impressive once, Sutter probably won’t appreciate a bunch of his mustangs only answering to the pretty redhead.
  3. I just put a rope around another horses neck before I fully broke the one I am on!


Hope
The Beast Friend power is in place of the Throwing and Ride check to mount a horse. The Persuasion checks replace the Ride checks to break the horse for you and only you.


Benny looks on in amazement of the luck Hope is having and figures that he would stick true to his name if he attempted to assist.

All
Two horses fully broken and Devil Eyes broken for Hope only. Hope is riding one horse and has managed to give it one level of Fatigue for her only. She has also gotten another one under control and ready for a rider. Bishop managed to rope the last horse but could not bring it under control. Jackson has a charge ready to go with his gloves to assist someone



What are you doing?

Archibald 10C
Benny QD
Bishop 6H
Hope 4C
Jackson 10D
John QH

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 2 Fail
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

Hope realized her trick was only going to go so far. She could mount the horse, but not break it, and it was only working for her. She needed something more.

“Okay, Lord. You’ve been good to me so far. Just need a bit more help,” she murmured a prayer, touching the cross at her neck.

Boost Riding 8 Raise
+2 Conviction, -2 Novice power, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-2 = 1 (3)
Wild 1d6-2 = 4 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)


Hope sat a bit straighter in the saddle, a bit more at ease and practiced. She clicked to the horse to go, working it to train it for other riders.

Ride 8 Raise
-2 Fatigue
Riding 1d6-2 = 0 (2)
Wild 1d6-2 = 2 (4)
Spending a Blue Fate chip to add 1d6 (1)
Spending a Red Fate chip to add 1d6 (5)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 8
Notice 1d6+2 = 4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Wild Explodes! 1d6 (2)


As Archibald led the newly broken horse over to be corralled he noticed the tingling feeling in his arm, where Jackson's gauntlet touched him, begin to fade. He presumed that the effects of the Weird Science device were wearing off. Good thing the horse yielded.

He glances round and spots that a couple of horses are left to be broken, then calls to the young inventor. "Mr Jackson, once more if you'll please!"

Archibald nods his thanks and shakes his arm after the jolt from the gauntlet, the familiar tingling feeling returned. Turning to the other he calls out, "I say chaps, any objections to me taking one of the last beasts?"

Actions
Wait for Jackson to boost Archie's Riding skill a again, though I believe he'll go first (otherwise Archie Holds until the boost has been given).

Then he'll mount one of the remaining horses.

Riding 1d8 (7)
Wild 1d6 (2)


Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:16 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 10
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace! 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace! 1d6 (4)


Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
Notice 8
Notice Original post: 1d6+2 = 4 (2)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (6)
Wild Explodes! Original post: 1d6 (2)


As Archibald led the newly broken horse over to be corralled he noticed the tingling feeling in his arm, where Jackson's gauntlet touched him, begin to fade. He presumed that the effects of the Weird Science device were wearing off. Good thing the horse yielded.

He glances round and spots that a couple of horses are left to be broken, then calls to the young inventor. "Mr Jackson, once more if you'll please!"

Archibald nods his thanks and shakes his arm after the jolt from the gauntlet, the familiar tingling feeling returned. Turning to the other he calls out, "I say chaps, any objections to me taking one of the last beasts?"

Actions
Wait for Jackson to boost Archie's Riding skill a again, though I believe he'll go first (otherwise Archie Holds until the boost has been given).

Then he'll mount one of the remaining horses.

Riding Original post: 1d8 (7)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (2)


"Gladly!" Jackson proclaims, scurrying over to give the Englishman another jolt.

Jackson watches with pride while the others feel the benefits of his scientific prowess. And this, this is just what I have been saying! With science, anything is possible. He is confident that their little crew will become the most valuable members of this cattle drive in no time flat.

Muskrat Jack wrote:

Bishop manages to rope another mustang easily enough but is unable to hold on as the horse jerks her from the saddle into the dirt. Jackson is close by and has a charge from his gadget ready to go, but it's too late to help the archer get things under control with this horse.


Seeing Bishop fall, Jackson limps toward her. "Say, miss," he says, "might I assist you?"

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (6)
Wild Dice 1d6 (2)

John stroked the nose of the horse he had broken in

"Good boy," he said, proud of his riding skill.

"Okay, shall we finish the last couple of horses then?"

OOC Comments
1d8 (4)
wild dice 1d6 (4)
1d8 (5)
wild dice 1d6 (3)
1d8 (5)
wild dice 1d6 (4)

vigour
1d6 (4)
1d6 (4)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Jackson wrote:
Seeing Bishop fall, Jackson limps toward her. "Say, miss," he says, "might I assist you?"

Notice 5 and Vigor 5
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (5)
Vigor 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (2)

”Yes please! This is much harder than I would have thought,” she answers Jackson.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
(Notice held, 10)

Bishop wrote:
Jackson wrote:
Seeing Bishop fall, Jackson limps toward her. "Say, miss," he says, "might I assist you?"

Notice 5 and Vigor 5
Notice Original post: 1d6 (2)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (5)
Vigor Original post: 1d6 (5)
Wild Original post: 1d6 (2)

”Yes please! This is much harder than I would have thought,” she answers Jackson.


Weird Science 7
Weird science 1d8 (3)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Fate Chip (white) to re-roll
1d8 (7)
Wild 1d6 (1)
+1 die type to Riding
Device has 2 PP left


Jackson reaches his hand out to help Bishop up, and when she takes it, Jackson delivers her a jolt through the gauntlet. ”Ah, sorry about the shock, there. You should be feeling more proficient now, though!”

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 22st 1880 4:05 PM
Fear Level: 2


The afternoon continues to wear on, but you’re making progress. Between Hope and Archibald, another horse is brought under control. John takes the rope from Hope and gets an icy glare in the process, but mounts up and trots the mustang around the corral until it’s also ready to accept a rider.

That leaves one horse left shying away from Bishop as she attempts to get close enough to grab the rope. Jackson continues aid in providing jolts that seem to stimulate folks enough to get the better of the equine adversaries.

Hope is too busy staring daggers at John but the rest of you notice Benny has been called over to talk with Bill Sutter. None of you can hear the conversation but it's obvious from here that Bill has a serious look on his face. After a few moments Bill nods at Benny and Benny returns the gesture with a tip of his hat. Then the one known for his ‘bad luck’ rides off into the setting sun.

Bill stops over to the ranch hands who are still lounging about enjoying the show you all are putting on. Luke picks up on the boss’ irritation and tries to jump to attention. He’s too late, Bill is on him like a wild cat.

“Luke! I’m glad you think this is funny. You all can laugh about it with empty stomachs tonight ‘cause supper ain’t served till these animals are rideable, brushed, and fed. We are either all eatin’ at 5 o’clock or nobody is eatin’ at all.”

As Bill stomps off, the hands are motivated with new enthusiasm and in short order the last mustang is broken. The supper time deadline still is almost missed as Devil Eyes won’t let anyone take care of him except Hope and a couple of the hands need to walk her through what needs to be done at a distance.

By the time you all sit down at the table, you are gritty, sweaty, and feel like you’ve been broken. All you want is somewhere to curl up and sleep for a week. Then the food hits the table and you realize how hungry you all are, too. Its standard ranch fair, biscuits and beef gravy with a side of beans also with a liberal amount of chunks of beef. A whole lot better than what the Lonely Crow served.

You can’t wait to dig in, but any movement towards a knife or fork gets angry glares or a nudge under the table from one of the hands. Finally, Bill sits down at the head of the table. He’s taken the time to clean up before dinner.

“You all earned your keep today. I’d venture to say I won’t be usin’ you to break anymore horses, but for the most part you got the job done. Ms. Monaghan, that ornery critter is yours. In fact, you each get two horses. Yer own if you had one comin’ in and one of the mustangs or two horses from the Lazy S if you didn’t

“But that’s enough talk right now. Ms. Monaghan, if you would be so kind to say grace? We couldn’t help but notice your...uh...devotion today.”


All
You each get two horses that you will have for the drive. One you can ride as needed and another that will be brought along as a backup. Hope, you get Devil Eyes and a riding horse.



What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 7 Success
Notice 1d4 (4)
Ace 1d4 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)


***

Hope was exhausted as she trudged into the chow hall with the others. They got a few glares for keeping everyone waiting while they had finished up with Devil Eyes. Hope’s stomach rumbled hungrily when the food was brought, and she nearly dug right in until someone elbowed her to wait. She nearly face planted into it from sheer exhaustion. She was dirty, sweaty, and tired. This wasn’t the kind of life she was used to.

Then Bill got up to say a few words and asked her to say grace. Hope blushed. She had thought she had hidden it pretty well.

Hope nodded and stood up, pulling the small black book from her pocket. “I’m a bit out of practice…” she murmured apologetically. But she’d grown up a preacher’s daughter, and some things just stick with you.

Hope read the Twenty-Third Psalm and then ended with a simple grace. No sense keeping everyone waiting on their food. It was a rather different young woman than John was used to seeing!

***

Conditions
Riding d6 (Boost Trait)
-1 Fatigue (Exhausting Work, can’t go over 1)
-1 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation or night’s sleep)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6+2 = 5 (3)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Like Bill, Archibald takes the chance to clean up a little before dinner. In the Englishman's case it was a splash of cool water to wash the grit off his face and a dusting down of his clothes. He had also retrieved his jacket and pipe, along with his backpack, from where he'd left them by the corral. Before taking a seat at the table, Archibald double checks the contents of his backpack to ensure that everything is accounted for before settling down for dinner.

Ah, just like the army. Archibald muses when the food is dished out, though he noted with approval that the ranch hands showed a measure of discipline as they waited for Mr Sutter to be seated and for Grace to be said. He was aware that the Americans had been wracked by war for close to twenty and wandered how many of the men sat round the table had done military service.

He begins filling his pipe and asks, "Sorry, would anyone mind if I smoke?"


Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (1)
wild dice 1d6 (2)

John cleaned up the best he could; he was sorry to see Benny go. He'd have to speak to Bill about that at somepoint. Didn't look like Benny had been bothered by what had been said, but it left him without somebody watching his back around the girl.

"Excuse, miss Bishop isn't it." John spoke to her, voice a little low, "If I happened to get in your way earlier, I apologise for my behaviour."


He'd been in the Military for a few years and generally out and about on his own, but his ma and pa had taught him right as he grew up and so waited for grace to be said. So when Bill asked Hope to do so, his mouth almost dropped.

Hope Monaghan wrote:
Hope nodded and stood up, pulling the small black book from her pocket. “I’m a bit out of practice…” she murmured apologetically. But she’d grown up a preacher’s daughter, and some things just stick with you. Hope read the Twenty-Third Psalm and then ended with a simple grace. No sense keeping everyone waiting on their food. It was a rather different young woman than John was used to seeing!



John regarded Hope slightly different after her sermon. Maybe this was why she hadn't opened fire the second she saw him yesterday.


Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
He begins filling his pipe and asks, "Sorry, would anyone mind if I smoke?"


"No complaints from me Captain Ellsworth," John waved for him to continue

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Notice 3
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)


Slightly oblivious to what was going on, Jackson had a fork in hand and was going for the meat before he noticed the nudges and pointed looks.

"Huh? Whatnow?" he asked, before realizing what was going on. "Oh! Right. Manners."

After Bill arrives and grace is finished, he digs in, mostly ignoring the conversation around him until his food is practically all gone, and daydreaming about ways he could improve on his "Helping Hand," as he had decided to call his new gauntlet.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (3)

”Not at all! That’s kind of you to say though. My falling was my own fault. I was so focused on the lassoing aspect, I completely neglected focusing on staying on. She answers John.
Bishop is surprised to see Hope saying grace. Talk about varied skills and interests; not only could she break that demon horse, she carries a Bible and is devout too? She reminds me of Aunt Jane. I never would have set out on my own without her adventurous example.
She chows down on the tasty (and much needed) food after assuring the good captain she doesn’t mind his smoking.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:08 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (6)


***

Hope sat down quickly after saying grace, ducking her head to avoid much eye contact as she set to her food. Being a preacher’s daughter, she had grown up with religion, but she’d never really “caught” it, and she’d been living a most sinful life since running off with Davey, especially after her was murdered. She gave a hateful glare at John. If it hadn’t been for him, she might not have ended up working on her back.

But God had called her. She didn’t know why, or if she could do what he wanted, but he answered her prayers and gave her power. She tried to walk the straight and narrow again, but she was so used to the mud in the gutter. She was unused to the attention of others for her spiritual side. She knew how to handle the carnal attention of men and women.

***

Conditions
-1 Fatigue (Exhausting Work, can’t go over 1)
-1 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation or night’s sleep)

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 22st 1880 6:05 PM
Fear Level: 2


After Hope finishes, Bill and the rest of the hands dig in with no comments. Whatever anxiety Hope may have felt, it wasn’t registered by the owner and workers of the Lazy S.

Dinner is about eating and not about talking. The only sounds that can be heard from Bill and the hands are knives and forks scraping plates. Any attempts at conversation are met with grunts and one words responses. Anything said unsolicited refers to passing dishes and bowls of food so they can heap more of it on their plates.

Once everything is gone, a couple of hands get up and start clearing plates apparently detailed to dishwashing previously. The rest of the hands push back their chairs, nod to Bill in thanks for another great meal, and then head off to their bunks.

When you attempt to follow suit, Bill motions for you to stay. Once everyone else is gone, he begins to speak.

“You did well today for folks not accustomed to ranch work. I reckon you’ll feel it in the morning and I’ll tell you here and now, it don’t get any easier. Today you got yourself some horses if you did not already have ‘em. Tomorrow I need you to go out and round up lost cattle. I intend to keep my timeline come hell or high water. Most of my hands have been combing the land for a few weeks now. We got most of the cattle ‘cept for a few rounded up. I can’t spare any more time or my hands looking, but I don’t want to leave without everything accounted for, either.

“That’s where you all come in. I need you to concentrate your efforts to the southwest of the ranch, near the Rio Grande. The cows tend to congregate at the water, but the crew ain’t found too many along the shore. I reckon they’re probably millin’ about in a box canyon Luke and his boy’s overlooked.

“Any questions ask ‘em now. I suggest you get some rest. I expect you’ll be on the trail for three or four days so prepare accordingly. Water in the creeks is drinkable and we got plenty of salt beef. Ranch is full of decent game, too.”


All
Remember your Vigor rolls for the next day. Everyone can make tracking or survival rolls when out on the trail to locate cattle during the day. Roping cattle is just like roping horses but you don’t have to break them, just get them under control. It’s a stalemate on a failed riding roll and you only get pulled from your horse on a Riding roll of a one.



What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 2 Fail
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

Hope listened to Bill’s instructions and nodded. She hoped rounding up cattle was easier than breaking horses. She headed back toward the women’s bunkhouse. Most of them were already long asleep by the time she turned in, since they weren’t hands and worked mostly at the house.

Hope stretched, leaning back, hand to her aching spine. She unbuttoned her shirt and peeled it off, setting it out for the wash tomorrow. She kicked off her boots and pants then. Finally she pulled on a silky, revealing white nightdress, her one concession to comfort. It felt good to feel silk against her skin again.

With a sigh, Hope let down her hair. She wanted to just fall into bed, but if she didn’t brush out all the dust, she would just be tangled in the morning. She idly stared out the window as she counted her strokes.

Suddenly she stiffened. A figure moved in the darkness outside. She recognized him. John Baxter was heading for the outhouse.

Hope tossed aside her brush. She didn’t even bother dressing as she grabbed up her shotgun, breached it, and slipped in two rounds, snapping it closed again. She strode outside barefoot. It was stupid. There were scorpions she could step on. But she didn’t care.

Her bare feet made no sound in the dirt. When John emerged from the outhouse, he was met by an angelic vision. The night breeze rifled through Hope’s long red hair, tendrils of it moving about her lovely, lush figure clad only in thin, revealing silk that barely covered all the necessary areas, molded to her generous curves by the wind. The silk and her alabaster skin glowed faintly in the moonlight and glittered off the silver cross dangling between generous breasts, and in her green eyes a smoldering vengeance as the shotgun aimed at his groin.

***

[So I don’t hold things up]

Morning

Vigor 5
Vigor 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (5)


Hope rolled out of bed with a groan. Dawn came entirely too early on a ranch. She was used to working late and sleeping late at the brothel. She grabbed her clothes and dressed amidst the bustle and whispered gossip of the women as she had yesterday, strapping on her guns and grabbing her gear.

She felt a lot more invigorated this morning, though. Amazing what a good night’s sleep would do. She grabbed her breakfast and coffee before heading to the corral.

“Good morning, Devil Eyes,” Hope greeted her horse, holding out an apple for him. “Good boy. You’ll behave today and help me out, right? We need to get some cattle.” She stroked his forehead and nuzzled into his neck. The ornery horse snorted and butted her with his head affectionately. “No biting anyone. Except John Baxter.”

Devil Eyes snorted again and bared his teeth in a seeming grin.

***

Conditions

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 10

OOC Comments
1d8 (6)
wild dice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)



"How many cattle are you missing? John asked, "it helps to know so we bring back as many as possible."

Later that evening

Hope Monaghan wrote:
When John emerged from the outhouse, he was met by an angelic vision. The night breeze rifled through Hope’s long red hair, tendrils of it moving about her lovely, lush figure clad only in thin, revealing silk that barely covered all the necessary areas, molded to her generous curves by the wind. The silk and her alabaster skin glowed faintly in the moonlight and glittered off the silver cross dangling between generous breasts, and in her green eyes a smoldering vengeance as the shotgun aimed at his groin.



John wasn't overly surprised to see Hope when he exited the outhouse, nor the fact that she was pointing a shotgun at his groin, but he was pretty sure he had her figured out, especially since she hadn't opened fire instantly he stepped out. Of course, he had heard her coming, no matter how quiet she thought she'd been, but it was time something came to a head In John's eyes, Hope could see some casual annoyance, coupled with what appeared to be amusement as he smirked at her, seemingly unmoved by the vision of beauty pointing a loaded weapon at him.

"Hope, if you're going to shoot me, get it over with," John challenged her, waiting for a few seconds. When Hope doesn't open fire, he takes a seat on a nearby stone and motions for her to do the same

"What do you remember of what happened that night in the way-station? Do you not remember why Davey died?"John asked, not realising that Hope had not seen the circumstances of her lover's death.



Morning

vigour 2
OOC Comments
1d6 (1)
wild dice 1d6 (2)


Waking up, obviously dealing with Hope had dredged up memories as he had a fitful night and slept poorly, feeling somewhat stiff in the morning.

Getting dressed and his horse ready, John grabs a quick bite to eat as he waits for the others to congregate, taking a few moments to look around
"Well, unless anybody objects, this is my wheelhouse. I'll track down the cattle if you are happy to do the round up." he tells the group when it assembles.

Tracking 12
OOC Comments
1d8+2 = 10 (8)-1
Ace 1d8 (3)
wild dice 1d6+2 = 6 (4)


Fatigue -1

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:26 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 6
Notice 1d6+2 = 6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (4)


Receiving no objections from those gathered, Archibald happily lights his pipe and takes a moment to savour the rich taste of the tobacco smoke as Sutter talks to the party. When Sutter says about questions, Archibald leans forward and says. "A question does come to mind my good man."

"Pray tell, what do you know of any wild beasts in the area?" Archibald asks. "During my time in African I encountered lions and other predators of a feline persuasion, though I doubt you have anything like them here. But it still doesn't hurt to be forewarned and thus forearmed."




Vigor 1
Vigor 1d6-4 = 1 (5)
Wild 1d6 (1)


The night for the good Captain was anything but restful, his fitful sleep did little to endear him to the rest of the bunkhouse as from time to time he cried out in his sleep. In the wee hours he awoke with a start, vivid recollections of the...incident in Africa still fresh in his mind. These dreams had come and receded like the ocean's tide, but this was one of the more stronger ones. Hands shaking slightly he headed outside to smoke his pipe for a short while to help steady his nerves before climbing back into his bunk.

It felt like he'd only just shut his eyes when the rising of the sun came all too soon.


Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 13 2 Raises
Notice 1d4 (4)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)


***

[Last Evening]

"Hope, if you're going to shoot me, get it over with."

Hope cocked back both hammers on the shotgun.

But she didn’t pull the trigger. She found she couldn’t. God damn it!

John walked over to a nearby stone and took a seat, patting the stone beside him.

Hope glared and uncocked the shotgun. She sighed and sat down, leaning the gun against the stone beside her.

"What do you remember of what happened that night in the way-station? Do you not remember why Davey died?" John asked.

Hope shrugged, her nightgown slipping off her freckled shoulder a bit. “Not much,” she admitted. “I had a headache and went to lie down. Davey had been...testy all day, and I just needed some time away from him. But then we’d all been testy, trapped in that waystation, cold and irritable. Next thing I know, I hear gunfire, and when I rush you, you’re standing over him with a smoking gun.”

She looked back at John, too exhausted by the day to stoke her hatred anymore. She was tired. She had thought she was over Davey. She was a couple years older and a whole lot wiser. She knew Davey had been no good. But she had loved him. And now John dredged him back up, all those feelings, leaving home against her father’s wishes, cocky and sure that she and Davey would have that happily ever after out in Denver or San Francisco or wherever they settled. He just reminded her of the night her entire world fell apart.

***

[Morning]

The exhaustion of the night before settled on Hope as she climbed into the saddle to follow John. Her head drooped a bit as she dozed, coming alert whenever Devil Eyes felt her control on the reins slacken and attempted to assert his dominance. He seemed to like the fight, but he also liked her to dominate him.

Not unlike some of the men she’d bedded, she considered ruefully.

Her eyes drifted to John as he dismounted and studied some tracks. He was a handsome man. If things had been different between them, she wouldn’t have minded him coming to her with some coin for a bit of companionship. But she was trying to put that life behind her now, and she wasn’t sure how to deal with such relationships anymore.

As they paused for John to find the trail again, Hope dismounted to stretch a bit. Lord, I could use a little pick me up, she prayed.

Succor 4
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-1 = 0 (1)
Wild 1d6-1 = 1 (2)
Ugh. Need to use my last red Fate Chip to avoid a crisis of faith. I will usit as a white so I don’t give the GM a Fate Chip.
Faith 1d8-1 = 4 (5)
Wild 1d6-1 = 2 (3)


Hope smiled as she felt warmth flow through her and her fatigue wash away. Thank you, Lord.

***

Conditions
Bennies: 0/3

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:42 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Rolls carried

Hope Monaghan wrote:
Hope shrugged, her nightgown slipping off her freckled shoulder a bit. “Not much,” she admitted. “I had a headache and went to lie down. Davey had been...testy all day, and I just needed some time away from him. But then we’d all been testy, trapped in that waystation, cold and irritable. Next thing I know, I hear gunfire, and when I rush you, you’re standing over him with a smoking gun.”


John sighed and lifting up his hat, he scratched his head; no wonder she hated him. She thought I killed Davey in cold blood
Then you missed a lot Hope." He reached into his boot and pulled out his harmonica, blowing a few notes, but thinking of how to tell her what happened, without telling her everything. He had been ordered not to and he was loyal to those orders considering whom had given them. He decided to tell her what he could, but leave out the greater circumstances. It would leave unanswered questions for her, but hopefully

Yes, things had testy in the way-station. None of us really wanted to be there, but we didn't have much choice, not with that blizzard.
I had been outside, braving the storm with the Sawbones when whatever happened with Davey started. The second we came back inside, your man Davey was coming at us with a knife and I could see a few others had cuts, they were holding their arms as he charged at us. There wasn't much time to think; I was there to protect the good doctor and your man Davey was about to scalp him with a bowie knife. I knew that hitting him wouldn't do much good, so I acted in the only way I knew to save everyone. It was quick and he didn't suffer."
Not like the others did.

John stopped talking and looked at Hope; he knew he'd done the right thing; problem was the right thing had unforeseen consequences that were now causing problems.

"I'm sorry it happened and if it's caused you pain, you truly have my sympathies.

OOC Comments
Probably worth a notice roll to read John.
He's probably told you a bit more than he's realised

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Rolls
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)

Vigor 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Last Fate Chip to re-roll
Vigor 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (4)


Jackson wakes in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to face the day. Haven't slept that well in weeks! It's good to be off the train car.

When John offers to track down the cattle, Jackson says, "Well, that certainly seems like a fine idea. Lead with our strengths, and all that. I can stand by to help once we actually find the beasts."

Internally, Jackson wonders about this endeavor. His Helping Hand worked well enough the day before, but he is unsure how much he will be able to contribute if all of their days involve such unfamiliar work. Sitting a horse is one thing, but roping unruly cattle is another entirely.

While riding, he unconciously drifted away from Hope and John, picking up on the tension between them without realizing it.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 2 and Vigor 4
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)
Blue fate chip to reroll
Notice 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (1)
Vigor 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (2)
White fate chip to reroll
Vigor 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Bishop tossed and turned during the night, as was usual for her. Sleep never did come easily to her.
Ok, time to be brave. Some folks may not be a fan of my hexslinging but if I want to contribute to this team that’s where my talents lie. She tries to pump herself up to talk to her new compatriots. ”So how do y’all feel about magic? It’s just, I may have a couple tricks up my sleeve that could help.” After stuttering all this out she waits and hopes she hasn’t just made a colossal mistake. She’s been run out of towns before after folks realized her bow wasn’t exactly normal and her cautious nature is warring with her need to pull her own weight on this job.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice #
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)


***

[Last Evening]

Hope shook her head. “I don’t know if I can believe you. It doesn’t make sense. Why would Davey do that? He barely talked to any of you.”

Hope studied him, trying to work out if he was holding anything back.

***

[Morning]

Hope perked up when Bishop mentioned magic. “What do you mean magic?” she asked, spurring her horse closer to the other woman. There was a bit of a kinship there, as the only two female ranch hands. “I mean, you hear stories…” She glanced around at the others. Some of the things Hope could do certainly seemed like magic, but she hadn’t been too overt about it yet. Some of the more ostentatious things she had learned to call down hadn’t been necessary.

***

Conditions
Bennies: 0/3

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:26 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 7

Stealth 5
OOC Comments
1d8 (7)
wild dice 1d6 (2)

1d6 (5)
wild 1d6 (3)


Quote:
[Last Evening]

Hope shook her head. “I don’t know if I can believe you. It doesn’t make sense. Why would Davey do that? He barely talked to any of you.”

Hope studied him, trying to work out if he was holding anything back.


"Cabin fever, it can do things to a man ... or woman," John appeared to be telling the truth. He was either the world's greatest liar or genuinely shot Davey for the reasons he stated, "he wasn't the only person acting strangely that day. maybe he'd been drinking or some kind of malady of the brain was afflicting him. I can't say I had been particularly paying attention to the man before his attack.
John skirted the truth slightly there as he knew exactly why Davey acted the way he did and hinted at it obscurely.

OOC Comments
Not on those dice rolls :lol:


Morning

Bishop wrote:
”So how do y’all feel about magic? It’s just, I may have a couple tricks up my sleeve that could help.” After stuttering all this out she waits and hopes she hasn’t just made a colossal mistake.


Quote:
[Morning]
Hope perked up when Bishop mentioned magic. “What do you mean magic?” she asked, spurring her horse closer to the other woman. There was a bit of a kinship there, as the only two female ranch hands. “I mean, you hear stories…” She glanced around at the others.


John's ears perked up as Bishop spoke up. that took a lot of courage. One of us could react badly and turn on her. From what I've seen, probably not Hope, Jackson unlikely considering his devices, but what about the Captain? Discreetly, he moved his hand towards his gun in case somebody tried something.

"I've seen stuff, out in the wilds. Some things I'd hesitate to call anything than things that have escaped from Hell. Others," his gaze lingers for a second on Hope, "I can't rightly explain. Some seemed bad, others, the only way I could explain it was sent from God. Steering his horse with his knees, he adjusted his hat before speaking again.
"Not everything has been good or bad. Just something people can do. I've seen people from the East move at speeds faster than the eye and pluck arrows out of the sky. You hear about the Natives calling on their spirits and routing troops of armed men. Look at what happened to General Custer according to the Epitaph."

Knowledge occult 4
OOC Comments
1d6 (3)
wild dice 1d6 (4)
John is seasoned, so has seen a few things

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
In the Brush, Texas
March 25th 1880 2:11 PM
Fear Level: 2


Before you all set out, Luke lets you know that eight to ten head are still unaccounted for but the boss will be happy if you come back with half that many. Your instructed to be gone no more than four days.

Archibald
Bill rolls a cigarette and shares a smoke with you outside as the others are heading to bed.

“We ain’t got nothin’ like what you probably saw in Africa. Coyotes around here mostly with the occasional mountain lion. They ought to leave you alone with as many of ya as there are. Bears and wolves don’t get this far south but might be a problem as we get further on in the drive.”

He pauses a moment as if thinking about what he is going to say.

“I’d still sleep with one eye open and keep my gun handy. There are tales of other...things...but they are just tales far as I’m concerned. Still, you never know with some of these Indian warbands. We’ve had no trouble but I ‘spect we’ll run across that as well on the trail.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two days prove to be fruitful. The weather is warm during the day and doesn’t dip too much during the night to where you are waking up to frost on your bedrolls. The fire at night is pleasant and tensions amongst the group that once were seem to fade. You all have actually managed to wrangle up four wayward cows and although it's hard work, you get into a routine and decide that mid afternoon on the third day, that it’s time to head back. The cows lead the way and seem to welcome the chance to go home. As you all are passing through a small
cottonwood grove not far from the river, John notices the desiccated corpse of a cow—then another, then a third—scattered throughout the grove.

Before he has a chance to say anything, out of the ground next to one of the recently captured steers bursts a hairy, black spider nearly the size of a man. The repulsive critter latches onto the steer, which screams piteously as it loses its footing and falls over to its side. Almost at the same time, the other steer breaks through the ground, dropping into a small pit. Out of the pit swarm hundreds of smaller versions of the large spider, flowing over the thrashing cattle and out onto the surrounding ground.

All
Your horses are just as surprised as you are so you’ll need to make a ride check as an action first and foremost to get it back under control before you do anything else. Right now the spiders seem content with the two cows they have. The other two cows are making a bee line for the ranch as fast as possible




What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 38
Reply with quote
Notice 9
Notice 1d6+1 = 5 (4)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Wild Explodes 1d6 (3)


Vigor 1
Vigor 1d6-4 = -1 (3)
Wild 1d6 (1)


Archibald puffs on his pipe for a moment, seemingly thinking over his response. "You know soldiers can be a superstitious lot. A private infantryman could wade unscathed through a volley of cannon fire and presume he's blessed as his fellows are cut down left and right."

"In my time serving Queen and Country I've found it best to keep an open mind on matters, admittedly some tales still do beggar belief. Africa certainly was a whole another kettle of fish."




"What the devilry?!" Exclaimed Archibald as the strange, hideous creatures sprang their ambush upon the cattle. A curse escaped his lips as his horse reared in fright, though he managed to cling on and not be thrown. He then pulls out his revolver and asks. "What on God's good Earth are those blasted things?!"

Ride Check 5
Riding 1d4-1 = 2 (3)
Wild 1d6 (5)


Actions
Ride Check and Drawing Revolver


Last edited by Archibald Ellsworth on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 am, edited 4 times in total.



Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 5
OOC Comments
1d8 (5)
wild dice 1d6 (4)


It was simple work for John to track down the missing cattle, but of course, it was never that simple.

Vigour 4
OOC Comments
1d6 (4)
1d6 (3)


Riding 10
OOC Comments
1d8 (8) ace 1d8 (2)
wild dice 1d6 (3)


“Those are some big spiders,” John remarked, seemingly unbothered, effortlessly keeping control of his horse. At least I can see them out in the open.
Reaching behind him, he pulled his rifle out of its boot and in one quick movement, took aim on the large spiders menacing one of cattle that fell over

"Take out the ones on the cattle first. If anybody has any booze, rag and matches now would be the time to burn that large numbers of spiders don’t you think, unless you ladies have some other method to get rid of them.”

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Vigor 2, Notice 4 and Ride 3
Vigor 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Notice 1d6 (1) -1
Wild 1d6 (5)

Riding 1d4 (4) -1
Wild 1d6 (3)


Jackson is tired, and his leg aches. When I dreamed up adventure in the West, this is not exactly what I had in mind. He can feel himself developing saddle sores despite the chaps, and he hadn’t gotten a decent night’s sleep since their last day on the ranch. He is thrilled when they decide to head back... and now this.

”Spiders!” he yells helpfully, as though the group can’t see for themselves what stands (or rather crawls) right in front of them. He immediately reaches for the handle of his Problem Solver, ready to unleash superheated fury on these creatures from the pit, realizing too late that he should have taken hold of the reins more securely first. His horse bucks and screams at the sight of the spiders, throwing him unceremoniously to the hard-packed dirt and racing after the fleeing cattle.

Jackson coughs and sputters, muttering aloud ”That went well.” Fortunately, his Problem Solver is still in the holster where it belongs, but his shotgun was on the darned horse. He scrambles to his feet and away from the arachnid creatures, but at a painstakingly slow pace.
Lame
Jackson has a lame leg, so he's only able to move 4” away from the critters.

_________________
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature


Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice 7, Riding 3, and Vigor 2
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)
Riding 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d4 (3)
Vigor 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)

Bishop was vastly relieved at her fellow cow herders’ reactions to her confession about using magic. She’d been forced to hightail her way out of towns before when her tricks came to light and hadn’t wanted to be forced out just as things were getting interesting.
”It’s runecasting using the inlays on my bow. That way instead of normal arrows I can shoot a bola to tie folks up, an arrow that explodes into a dark mist, or a burst of arrows all at once.” She answers Hope. ”I’ve noticed you working some pretty incredible feats; if you don’t mind my asking, how do you do that?

—-

As the giant spider attacks the cow while another falls and unveils the spider pit, Bishop is relieved she has her bow and is in the company of some other skilled individuals, if their competence in breaking the horses was to be trusted. Well, that explains why we’ve only been able to gather up four cows so far. I wonder why there haven’t been any webs. Do they all live underground and only come up to eat?
She addresses John, ”I can tie up the big one or shoot a volley of arrows at the little ones. I like your fire idea though. Beasts like this it’s always good to make sure they’re dead, then make sure a little more just in case.”

Unfortunately, her horse does not share her lack of fear towards the spiders and spooks. Come on! Throwing me off didn’t get rid of the spiders, now did it? Now I’m winded and on the ground and for no good reason. I like horses but sometimes I wonder if they have any sense at all.

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 4
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (4)


***

[Last Evening]

Hope sighed and buried her face in her hands. “Everything fell apart that day,” she muttered. “I didn’t have a man anymore. What else was a young, pretty girl to do?” She wiped at tears and stood up, ashamed at herself for such weakness in front of this man.

“Early day tomorrow. I should get to bed.”

***

[Morning]

Hope looked over at John as he spoke of his experiences. When he mentioned God, she actually blushed and averted her gaze.

“Guess some folk are just...special,” she murmured, though it didn’t seem she took it as something to be superior about.

”I’ve noticed you working some pretty incredible feats. If you don’t mind my asking, how do you do that?” Bishop asked Hope.

“I don’t honestly know,” Hope admitted. “I just...pray, and sometimes God answers. Like with the horses. I knew I couldn’t rope or ride them, so I just prayed and asked to be...friendly, to be able to communicate.”

***

[Three days later/Afternoon]

Hard Work 1 Fail
Vigor 1d6-4 = 1 (5)
Wild 1d6-4 = 0 (4)


They managed to round up some of the cattle they were sent to retrieve. Hope wiped the sweat from her forehead in exhaustion, looking up at the warm sun. They had decided to head back. Up ahead was a nice grove of cottonwoods. It would be nice to get in the shade. Maybe they could take a break, water the cattle and horses.

And then the ground burst open, revealing giant spiders that attacked the cattle. Hope screamed as Devil’s Eye shied, hooves dancing.

Ride -1
-1 Fatigue
Ride 1d4-3 = -2 (1)
Wild 1d6-3 = -1 (2)


Hope failed to keep her seat, sending her tumbling into the dirt with Jackson. “Easy, boy,” Hope said, trying to calm the horse. She needed to get to her shotgun. “I don’t have fire, but I can come up with something,” Hope said as she drew her shotgun. She was already starting to pray, touching the silver cross between her breasts and murmuring.

***

Conditions
-1 Fatigue
Bennies: 3/3

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 am
Profile
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 78
Reply with quote
Spider Grove, Texas
March 25th 1880 2:12 PM
Fear Level: 2


Devil Eyes rears up and throws Hope off. He stays put, though, and paws the ground with his front hooves snorting and whipping his head back and forth. He is agitated but does not run. Jackson and Bishop’s horses are not so brave and bolt after the two steers that the spiders were not able to grab.

The poor cow grabbed by the large spider is already dead its blood being drained by the monstrosity faster than it can seep into the dusty ground. The other steer has broken a leg with its fall into the pit and is making awful noises halfway between a dog’s howl and a human scream as the swarm of smaller spiders eat it alive.

The arachnids themselves seem content with their prey and ignore everything else.

All
The things are horrible and what they did to the poor steer is enough to make you retch. That being said, these critters are known to most folk living on the frontier---no Guts check unless you have arachnophobia


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archibald: 3H
Bishop: Joker!
Hope: 6H
Jackson: 9C
John: 10H

Large Spider: AC
Spider Swarm: 2C


What are you doing?

_________________
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

All White


Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am
Posts: 45
Reply with quote
Notice 1d8 (7)
Wild dice 1d6 (1)

"Burn that swarm" he shouts, keeping his horse steady. Quickly taking aim, he fired his Winchester 73 at the giant spider.

Lest we can do is get rid of the spiders. Prevent them getting anymore steers.

shooting 9 Damage 8 or 11 on a raise AP2
OOC Comments
1d8+2 = 9 (7) staying still so gets aim from marksman
1d6+2 = 4 (2)
2d8 (6, 2) AP2
if a raise 1d6 (3)

_________________
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969


Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:45 am
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm
Posts: 46
Reply with quote
Notice
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (4)


Unfazed by the horde of arachnoid creatures crawling toward her, Bishop calmly readies her bow and draws the string without notching an arrow.

She releases the bowstring and it jumps forward with an audible hum. As the string moves, an arrow appears, notched and ready to fly. And then another. And another. And another!

A hail of arrows flies from the once empty bowstring, hammering the small arachnids and downed steer and filling the opening with death.
Hexslinging to Shoot 5, 20 Heavy Weapon Damage With 2 AP
Hexslinging to shoot the arrows 1d8 (1)
Wild 1d6 (5)
Hits everything in a cone template. Targets may make an Agility roll opposed by her casting roll to attempt to get out of the way.
+2 from Joker negates Multi-Action Penalty to ready her bow
Spent 3 Power Points

Damage 2d10 (9, 9) +2 (Joker) Heavy Weapon damage with AP 2

_________________
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature


Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am
Posts: 53
Reply with quote
Notice 5
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (5)


***

“They seem to be ignoring us,” Hope said. “Well, they were,” she commented as John and Bishop opened fire on them.

Hope patted Devil Eyes. “Stay close,” she told the horse. “Protect me.” Then she raised her shotgun.

Lord, make my shooting true, Hope prayed.

Boost Shooting 6
-1 Fatigue, -2 MAP, -2 Novice
Faith 1d10-3 = 6 (9)
Wild 1d6-3 = -1 (2)


Feeling her focus center, Hope blasted at the large spider with her shotgun.

Shooting 7 Success, Damage 10
-1 Fatigue, -2 MAP, +2 Shotgun
Shooting 1d10-1 = 2 (3)
Wild 1d6-1 = 5 (6)
Ace 1d6+5 = 7 (2)
Damage 3d6 (5, 2, 3)


***

Conditions
Shooting d10 (3r)
-1 Fatigue
Bennies: 1W 2R/3

_________________
Hope Monaghan
Hope Monaghan, Novice Blessed
Parry: 4, Toughness: 6
Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka


Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:10 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme created with Colorize It.
Designed by ST Software.