View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Head 'Em Up 
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 26th 1880 2:45 AM
Fear Level: 2

John and Archibald manage to get the dead steer field dressed and somewhat quartered. Most of the neck and left shoulder is discarded as the area around the bite has already turned. Being on the safe side, you all end up with three quarters which are easily spread out amongst the horses. With no salt and a healthy unwillingness to hang the meat to dry given what you just went through, things get a little messy, but the early spring night air is cool enough that things shouldn’t spoil barring any further encounters.

The sun goes down much quicker than expected in the grove, slipping behind the mountains in the distance. You begin to worry if you will be able to navigate in the dark but the cattle and even the horses know the way home. You find out quickly it's just best to keep the animals in a tight group and let them lead the way.

As the night wears on, you balance pushing the herd a little faster against taking it slow enough to avoid injury. Your experience has you jumping at every little thing that results in just the regular nightlife on the prairie. A bobcat screams from not too far away and weapons leap from holsters and sheaths. A good nervous laugh is had once you realize what it is, but the moment is soon gone as not too long after a feeling of ‘wrongness’ settles in. Sounds are muted and the air becomes oppressive. To say the hairs are standing up on the back of your neck, is an understatement.

It becomes obvious something is watching but it is so dark at this point, that you can’t tell from what direction or how far away this real or perceived danger is. That’s when the howling starts. At first, you are all relieved as you had seen a few coyotes. But then it settles in that these are not the yips and barks of coyotes, they are long drawn out howls eerie and beautiful at the same time. They are wolves and they are getting closer. The smell of the steer must have lured them down out of the high pines. Something to worry about to be sure, but there is some relief in the fact that it’s still the ‘natural’ world.

The pack continues to get closer and the uneasy feeling becomes more and more oppressive. And then the reason why echoes from what seems like all around you. This howl is different, it's definitely communicating with the wolves but it has an almost human quality….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iag8d1ENKgk

Devil Eyes attempts to whinny in defiance and Hope hugs his neck to keep him quiet. Jackson, Archibald, and John risk a look over the shoulder and each will swear later that they saw something although none will be able to agree on what. Bishop keeps her eyes on the trail and up ahead she sees flickering lights. It’s the ranch! She gives her horse the freedom it wants after hearing the howl and it breaks into a gallop. The steers and other horses follow suit and it's a mad dash towards the Lazy S. The next ten minutes feel like hours and despite all rational concerns, you let the horses push themselves across the last couple of miles. As you get closer more lights come on as you realize all of you are whooping and yelling to keep the steers moving with you.

And then out of nowhere, Luke and the rest of the hands are around you calming the herd down and taking the reins from your horses. You made it. As you dismount, you see Bill leaning in the doorway with a man in a derby hat. His expression shows nothing as he lights a cigarette.

“Good work. That’s not as much as I hoped, but it's enough. Get some rest. Luke and the boys will take care of the horses. We’ll talk in the morning.”

He turns and goes back inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hard cots in the bunkhouses feel like fine feather beds and breakfast the next morning, more corned beef hash and biscuits, tastes like the finest food around. Even better, it seems you are all getting used to the ranch life as the soreness and stiffness doesn’t feel so bad this morning.

All
No penalty on the daily Vigor roles

Luke gave you all an extra half hour so you take breakfast with Bill and the man with the derby from the night before. The rest of the hands are already up and at the work to prepare for the drive.

What are you doing?

4/5

3 Red, 1 White

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am

Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 (6)
wild dice 1d6 (1)

As the group travelled through the wilderness back towards the ramp, when they heard the howling, John almost jumps out of his skin. John felt apprehensive, looking around into the night, hoping for a glimpse.

It couldn't have followed me all this way could it? The rest of the way back, John has his rifle out, not wanting to take any chances, but taking the rear to protect everyone as they raced towards the ranch.

Arriving back, John takes a second to play a quick tune on his harmonica to calm himself before getting off his horse.

"Take good care of him," he tells the ranch hands, "all the horses have been through a bit whilst we were out. and the meat needs taking in.

I wonder who this guy is. John ponders as he limps over to the ranch owner.

"Mr Sutter, I am afraid to report that you have some nasty critters living around here. We took care of some of them on the way back, but it sounds like we might have a wolf problem. Potentially quite a nasty one.

Next day

vigour 7
OOC Comments
1d6 (6) ace 1d6 (1)
wild dice 1d6 (2)

John was up nice and early, being one of the first in for breakfast. He'd slept well, probably due to tiredness and thankfully no dreams. He noticed the man with a bowler hat as he waited for someone to say grace. He scratched his leg; it was irritating him a bit. Hearing that howl last night bothered him. Surely it wasn't the same creature; he could taste that nice to it.

Lame

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 am

Notice
Notice= 1d4 (1)
Wild= 1d6 (6)
Ace= 1d6 (4)

While passing through Sutter's Flats, the stranger had heard about a Rancher looking for hands on a drive. This would be perfect to get away for awhile. Sure they will need someone to look after their weapons as well as help with watch. He followed the directions to the ranch and that afternoon had a long talk with his new boss. He was hired for a mere $35 a month with meals included. Not what he was use to making at the store but, these were different times and couldn't pass up the company especially since they WEREN'T going to Dodge.
Almost all of the ranch hands looked at the stranger with amusement. Here he was, a young attractive gentleman in a nicely tailored suit and a derby hat. What really caught their attention besides his form of dress were 2 items. First, the stranger rode in on a Mule. Second, instead of a Six Gun, the stranger had an enlarged holster with a sawed off shotgun in the holster. The barrel was shaved way down and the stock was trimmed into a pistol grip.

Jack watched the riders coming in. These must be the new hands Mr. Sutter mentioned when he hired me. One of the riders limps up to the Boss and mentions wolves and critters. The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".

Vigor
Vigor 1d8 (7)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace= 1d6 (2)

Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies:

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:45 am

rolls carried

Jack wrote:
The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".

John realises he's still carrying his rifle. Guess I'm still worried about what's out there. Switching it to the other hand, he shakes Jack's hand firmly.

"John, John Baxter. Archibald over there has one of the creatures we encountered and had to put down. The wolves, we heard on the way back in. Thankfully, we were close to the ranch, so they didn't get chance to attack us."

Lame

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am

Notice 7, Vigor 4
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)

Vigor 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (4)

Jackson takes a few deep breaths to steady himself. Oh, the West is full of adventure, all right. I'm liable to adventure myself right into an early grave.

He dismounts and then gives Hope a respectful tip of his bowler. "Miss Hope, I neglected to thank you out there for patching me up. I don't know about 'magic', but science teaches us to observe the world around us, and you certainly did something back there. You, too, Miss Bishop. I should be very interested to hear how the two of you do what it is you do."

Jack wrote:
Almost all of the ranch hands looked at the stranger with amusement. Here he was, a young attractive gentleman in a nicely tailored suit and a derby hat. What really caught their attention besides his form of dress were 2 items. First, the stranger rode in on a Mule. Second, instead of a Six Gun, the stranger had an enlarged holster with a sawed off shotgun in the holster. The barrel was shaved way down and the stock was trimmed into a pistol grip.

Jack watched the riders coming in. These must be the new hands Mr. Sutter mentioned when he hired me. One of the riders limps up to the Boss and mentions wolves and critters. The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".

Not too far behind John, Jackson limps up to the newcomer, giving his kit a curious look.

Still not one for social graces, he declares, "That's quite the piece you've got there, Jack. Seems like it might be a handful to draw." Still, he admires the weapon openly.

Jackson spits some of the grit out of his mouth. How very cowboy of me, he thinks idly. "By 'critters' he means spiders the size of horses and housecats. Not exactly a pleasant jaunt back there. Oh, I'm Jackson, by the way. Pleased to make your acquaintance, and all."

Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 pm
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Notice and Vigor
Notice 1d6 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)
Vigor 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)

”Smart animals,” Bishop remarks when they arrive at the ranch; ”I was worried we’d have a tougher time finding our way back, not to mention keeping together in a group. What in the Sam Hill was that howling though? Not the wolves, the...whatever was communicating with them.” She shivers as she remembers the chilling sound.

When Jackson asks about how she does her Hexslinging she can’t help but grin. ”I’d be happy to tell you all about it and even teach you if you find yourself having an interest. My aunt teaching me to Hexsling is the best thing to ever happen to me and I’m always willing to pass that forward.”

At breakfast she introduces herself to Jack, having been too exhausted the night before to bother with anything other than the necessities. Well, having another person around can only help. Especially if last night’s adventures are going to be the norm. I just hope he’s not a magic hater, though if he is that’s not an attitude that will find much traction in this crew thankfully.

Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Rolls
Notice 1d6+2 = 4 (2)
Wild 1d6+2 = 8 (6)
Wild Explodes 1d6 (3)

Vigor 1d6 (4)
Wild 1d6 (5)

Ah, an American gentlemen. Muses Archibald when he meets the newest addition to their group. Wonder whether he's one of those gentlemen adventurer types? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald says, extending a hand. "How do you do sir?"

"Sorry, but I'm afraid that I have to correct you regarding the creatures Mr Baxter." Archibald continues. "I merely drew some sketches and took measurements of the carcasses. Though I feel we should keep talk of the creatures among ourselves, I fear Mr Sutter's workers are the type to get easily spooked."

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Notice 2
Notice 1d4 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)

Hope kept her shotgun out for the mad dash to the ranch, unsure what was out there in the dark. But they made it safely, and she fell from her saddle into Luke’s arms. She gave him a grateful smile that turned a bit coy.

"Miss Hope, I neglected to thank you out there for patching me up. I don't know about 'magic', but science teaches us to observe the world around us, and you certainly did something back there. You, too, Miss Bishop. I should be very interested to hear how the two of you do what it is you do," Jackson said.

Hope turned to Jackson and smiled. “Just a bit o’ prayer, Mr. Hartway,” she said. “Think nothing of it. Just try not ta let more spiders bite ya.” She gave the young greenhorn a wink.

Unfortunately, Devil Eyes would have nothing to do with Luke or anyone else, so while the others fell into their bunks, Hope headed to the stable to properly put the horse down.

“You can’t be just a little more cooperative when I’m dog tired?” Hope asked him as she brushed the wild horse down, listening the bellows of his lungs and the strong, solid beat of his heart, the heady smell of his coat.

“More with the lay of the coat,” Luke said as he stepped into the stall.

Hope smiled at the hand. “Show me?”

He stepped up close behind her, taking her hand with the brush in his, easing it along Devil Eyes’ flank. Hope leaned back against his strong chest, and his other hand came around her waist, pressing against her flat stomach. She turned her head up, looking deeply into his blue eyes. The brush trailed down, forgotten, and Devil Eyes snorted and rolled his eyes as Hope’s lips met Luke’s.

Hope snuck into the bunkhouse hours later, her work shirt loose and pulled out of her jeans, pulling straw from her red hair. The other women were asleep, thank the Lord, as Hope undressed and fell with contented exhaustion into her bunk.

Vigor 1
Vigor 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (1)

Hope woke up with pounding head and exhaustion, sore from the hard riding. She groaned and stares up at the ceiling, listening to the whispering and bustle of the other women in the bunkhouse. She heard her name a few times. She was used to proper folk talking about her behind her back. It didn’t make it any less unpleasant, however.

When the bunkhouse finally cleared, Hope finally forced herself to roll out of bed. She pumped some cold water to wash up with. Her silver cross glistened in the morning sunlight where it dangled between her breasts, and she touched it guiltily. She touched a purpling bruise on her neck left by Luke’s passionate kisses last night during their tumble in the hay.

“Ah’m tryin’, Lord,” Hope said quietly, closing her eyes.

Succor 5 (-2 Novice, -1 Fatigue)
Faith 1d10-1 = 5 (6)
Wild 1d6-1 = 3 (4)

Hope smiled with relief as she felt a warmth flow through her, washing away her tiredness, soreness, and fatigue.

“Thank ya,” she said, picking up the towel and drying off. She dressed in clean clothes, leaving the others for the washerwomen, and headed toward the mess hall.

It appeared Hope was the last to arrive. John and the others were gathered around some dandy in a bowler with some kind of fancy, weird shotgun. Hope didn’t usually walk around the ranch so armed, so she only had her knife. Gun belts tended to catch on things when doing ranch work.

“Who’s the dandy?” Hope asked with a smile. He was certainly attractive! She held out her hand, still delicate, though starting to develop the calluses of hard work. “Hope Monaghan, mister,” she introduced herself, tossing her red braids out of the way, looking fresher and perkier than she had any right to be after last night.

Conditions
Bennies: 1R/3

Bennies: 1 R/3
Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka

Tue May 01, 2018 2:54 am

Vigor
Vigor carried over from last night. Didn't think we would be having a breakfast post.

Jack stood and shook hands with the others as they entered.

"Ah a Captain in the Royal Army. That must be very invigorating." Jack shakes his outstretched hand. "How do you wish to be addressed? Captain, Archibald?"

"Bishop you say, pleased to meet you." Wow, no one told me there were women so attractive outside of Dodge. This could be an exciting adventure. Jack slightly bows, takes her hand and gently kisses it like a true gentlemen.

"Jackson, is that your full name or just what you want others to call you? It is nice to meet your acquaintance." He seems kinda young. Wonder what he has seen?

"Mr. Baxter was it, John? Nice to meet you." The look. I've seen it many a time, he has killed and will kill again if need be.

Just before he was going to tell about himself, in walks Hope. Two very attractive women on this ride? I thought Dodge was trouble, this may be even harder. Jack takes her outstretched hand and as before with Bishop, slightly bows, takes her hand and kisses it lightly. "Jack Wagner ma'am, at your service." He stares into her eyes for a moment then straightens and address the lot of them.

"Nice to meet all of you. Since I came on late, I seem to have missed some of the fun. I have been traveling for a bit after leaving my former employer in Dodge City. I am a Gunsmith by trade and currently out of work so, when Mr. Sutter offered to have me join, I took him up on it. Glad to meet you all and look forward to some interesting days ahead."

Bennies:

Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 am

Bishop wrote:
When Jackson asks about how she does her Hexslinging she can’t help but grin. ”I’d be happy to tell you all about it and even teach you if you find yourself having an interest. My aunt teaching me to Hexsling is the best thing to ever happen to me and I’m always willing to pass that forward.”

Hexslinging? Is that what she calls it? "Well, I would be much obliged, at your convenience, Miss Bishop."

Jack wrote:
"Jackson, is that your full name or just what you want others to call you? It is nice to meet your acquaintance." He seems kinda young. Wonder what he has seen?

"Nice to meet all of you. Since I came on late, I seem to have missed some of the fun. I have been traveling for a bit after leaving my former employer in Dodge City. I am a Gunsmith by trade and currently out of work so, when Mr. Sutter offered to have me join, I took him up on it. Glad to meet you all and look forward to some interesting days ahead."

Jackson's eyes shoot up and a grin spreads across his face. A professional gunsmith!

"Jackson is my given name, and I've never really known anyone to call me anything else," he says. "A gunsmith by trade, you say? I'm a bit of a gunmetal enthusiast myself. I built the Problem Solver here from scratch," he pats the butt of his pistol "and I would be fascinated to hear about your work."

Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Character Sheet
Signature

Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

Jackson wrote:

"Jackson is my given name, and I've never really known anyone to call me anything else," he says. "A gunsmith by trade, you say? I'm a bit of a gunmetal enthusiast myself. I built the Problem Solver here from scratch," he pats the butt of his pistol "and I would be fascinated to hear about your work."

"Jackson it is. That looks like a nice weapon. I haven't really built a signature weapon yet from scratch. I have taken many weapons and modified them for their owners to assist where their skills lack. Take my sidearm here." I pull my Modified Double Barrel from its holster. "I'm not one to get into a drawn out gunfight or a duel. If I get into that situation, I aim to end it quickly. To help in that endeavour, I have modified this Double Barrel shotgun into basically a Double Barrel Pistol. I shrank the Barrel as short as possible then filed down the stock into a comfortable pistol grip. I modified the firing mechanism so one triger, one pull, double shot. I may have to reload often if pinned down however, my first shot should stop almost everything."

Bennies:

Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am

Hope met Jack Wagner’s gaze with her own green eyes, a boldness there more akin to those of the ladies in the saloons and brothels of Dodge than a church girl. She flashed him a melting smile.

“Charmed,” Hope said when he bent over and kissed her hand.

And then the conversation went into the boys and their toys, and Hope’s interest faded. She glanced at Bishop. “Should we get us some breakfast?” she asked the other woman.

Edit Signature
All Characters: Jude Maverick, Ashlyn Alvarez, Kim Black, Angis Ironheart, Delilah Carter, Hope Monaghan, Sierra Mackenzie, Reiko Tanaka

Fri May 04, 2018 3:34 am
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 27th 1880 7:45 AM

Sutter allows the idle chat at the table. He grunts a few times at the mention of the ‘critters’ but otherwise shovels hash or pours coffee into his gullet. When he’s finished, he pushes himself back from the table and stands to address you.

“Look, the Captain is right. Ain’t no sense gettin’ the hands riled up on what you saw and heard out there. They all will be seein’ it firsthand soon enough when we get on the trail. And make no mistake, I aim to make that drive come hell or high water”

For a moment the tough as nails rancher looks like an old man as sudden pain grips him. It’s brief and he slaps his right thigh, winces, and grunts again. Like you all the man has looked into the Abyss at some point but he quickly returns to his gruff self and you wonder if you witnessed anything at all.

“Now you all had a long night so I’m sendin’ you into town today with my niece Abby to pick up some supplies. She’s greener in the saddle than you all and I figure between all of ya, you might stay out of trouble….and not distract my hands.”

Sutter glances at Hope before he continues.

“Jack here will be part of your posse ridin’ drag on the trail. Like the rest of you, I’m thinkin’ he’ll be better at that than wranglin’ the cattle. Now get goin’, Abby has the wagon ready and I expect you back…..”

“YOU BETTER COME OUT HERE, BOSS!”

Luke’s yell gets you all moving and you follow Bill out onto the porch of the ranch house. Sutter reaches behind the door and pulls out a shotgun as you all see a small group of riders approaches the ranch. There are six rather surly looking gunmen following a better dressed
man sporting a pair of shiny Colt revolvers. Off to one side rides the fifth member of the band, an older Indian dressed in a threadbare Confederate jacket decorated with a smattering of bangles and fetishes.

The well-dressed gunman calls out to Sutter,, currently pointing the shotgun at the ground, but in the general direction of the new arrivals.

“Good day to you, Mr. Sutter. My name is Bartholomew Phelps and I’m here as a representative of Bayou Vermilion. I’m authorized to purchase your cattle at the agreed-upon price of $5 per head.”

“Like I told them other fellers from your railroad, you can pound sand. That ain’t half what they’re worth on the open market!”

“Ah, but this isn’t an open market. I understand no one hereabouts will purchase cattle with your brand and I’m afraid my employer’s stock cars are booked up for the foreseeable future. I’d recommend you take the offer before prices drop further.”

“Prices ain’t the only thing about to be droppin’ around here, if’n you and your lot don’t head out—pronto!”

With that, Sutter thumbs back both hammers on his shotgun. Phelps looks around at the growing crowd of ranch hands drawn to the argument. You and Sutter’s men outnumber the Bayou Vermilion riders. The gunman calmly tips his hat, turns his horse, and begins to lead
his gang out.

What are you doing?

4/5

3 Red, 1 White

Sat May 05, 2018 7:06 am

“Now you all had a long night so I’m sendin’ you into town today with my niece Abby to pick up some supplies. She’s greener in the saddle than you all and I figure between all of ya, you might stay out of trouble….and not distract my hands.”

Great, he has a Niece. How much more can trouble tempt me?

“YOU BETTER COME OUT HERE, BOSS!”

As the warning is yelled in, Jack draws his sidearm and heads out the back door. He makes his way around the side of the house and up to the corner and waits.

Streetwise
Streetwise check to see if I have ever heard the name Bartholomew Phelps during my time working in Dodge City.
Streetwise 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (4)

After the men ride out, Jack comes out from around the corner of the house, holsters his weapon and approaches Sutter.

"Mr. Sutter, exactly how much trouble have you had with this Mr. Vermilion and exactly how much danger is there?"

Bennies:

Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 am

Notice 4
OOC Comments
1d8 (4)
Wild dice 1d6 (2)

"Back into town it is," and protecting your neice. A heavy burden John doffs his hat to Mr Sutter.

As Luke calls out, John goes with the others to investigate. Noting the tense situation,
John has his pistol out, having left his rifle in his room as there wasn't the need for heavy firepower at breakfast. He keeps a discreet position out of sight.

"Nobody shoot first," he whispers to anybody close by, "they'd be stupid to start anything this heavily outnumbered."

Bayou Vermilion, not had a run with them for a couple of years.

He notices the Indian over to one side and something tickled him about how he was dressed.

Knowledge occult 4
OOC Comments
1d6 (4)
wild dice 1d6 (1)

Lame

Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d6+2 = 4 (2)
Wild 1d6+2 = 4 (2)

Archibald was about to say something when the ranch-hand Luke called for everyone's attention. Quickly grabbing his pith helmet from beside his seat, Archibald joins the stampede out of the ranch house to see what the problem was. He spots the riders and listens to the exchange between Mr Sutter and the well-dressed gunman, though Archibald's attention is drawn to the old Indian. The bangles and fetishes reminded him of some of the tribals he'd seen in Africa, ones that were suppose to be the tribe's equivalent to a priest.

"Mr Baxter." Archibald says quietly to the former bounty hunter. "You probably have the greater knowledge here, but something...bothers me about that native man."

Archibald then turns to Bill and says. "I hope you forgive the prying Mr Sutter, I take it you've had trouble from those fellows before?"

"And just out of interest, how much would you normally expect your cattle to fetch per head?"

Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Notice 8
Notice 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (2)

Well, that was odd. No wonder he wants to get this drive started as soon as possible.

Aloud, Jackson says, "Does this sort of thing happen often? I may need to come up with something that would dissuade people from shooting at us..." He trails off, lost in thought.

Character Sheet
Signature

Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Notice 7
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)

It’s odd that he doesn’t want the hands forewarned about the critters out there, Bishop thinks during breakfast. Is there a risk they’ll desert if they know? We’ll need to be sure not to rely on them acting in times of danger. Or on Sutter being fully honest about risks.

Upon hearing that no one in the area will buy cattle with Sutter’s brand she realizes she was right to be wary of him hiding information. ”Why won’t anyone buy cattle with your brand? Has this group tried anything more than veiled threats to get to you?” She asks, not confident any of them will have their questions answered.

Then she turns to her fellow employees ”do any of y’all know if there’s a way these folks could have had a hand in those critters going after Mr. Sutter’s cattle?”

Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature

Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am

Notice 2
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Hope gives Sutter a look of concern when he winces in pain. Maybe she should talk to him about that, see if she could help some. She gives him a pleasant, innocent smile when he mentions distracting his hands.

When the commotion begins outside, Hope follows. Great. She hadn’t thought she would need to be carrying while on the ranch, and all her things were in the bunkhouse. Fortunately, the situation resolved itself.

“Seems someone doesn’t want you taking all these cattle,” Hope mused. “And five a head seems awful cheap. What’s this Bayou Vermillion, and are we gonna have trouble with them? They came loaded.”

With the situation calmer for the moment, Hope went and retrieved her gear. She found a package for her on the bed and smiled. It was from an old client. He must have heard she had signed up with Sutter. Inside was a very nice duster, and it looked to be lined with some light metal plates and padding. Interesting. It also had a lot of little pockets and hooks inside for securing things for quick access. She tried it on, and it fit perfect.

Walking back out, Hope smiled at Abby and jumped up into the shotgun position on the wagon. Let the boys ride in back. “Good mornin’,” she greeted the girl, not having met her before. She reached up to secure her red hair and put on her cowboy hat.

Conditions

Edit Signature

Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 am
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 27th 1880 8:00 AM

Sutter eases the hammers back down on his coach gun and the tenseness seems to ease out of the man as well.

“Bayou Vermilion is the railroad some of ya’ all rode in on. They squeezed every other rancher so hard by forcein’ ‘em to use their line to transport cattle to Chicago, that they packed up and moved on. I’m the only one left holdin’ out and I aim to beat them by takin’ my cattle myself to the markets. The price they are offerin’ would be fair per hundred weight, not per head. That’s why I don’t trust those Vermilion varmints as far as I can throw myself. I figure if we sit too long, they’ll cut our herd—or worse...I doub’t they had anything to do with your run in with those spiders, though. Still, I’m gatherin’ what we’ve got on hand and we’re headin’ north in three days.”

Sutter looks over to John and nods knowingly.

“Yer right to be eyein’ that Injun. His name is Black Dog. He’s an old Comanche raider from hereabouts and me and him got a little history. I was part of the posse that ran him to ground back in ’73. I heard he signed on with the Confederacy for clemency, but they cut him loose before too long. No doubt Vermilion hired him on ’cause he knows the area…and ain’t likely to balk at pointin’ the business end of a gun at any of the locals.”

John
Black Dog, or To’sarre, is a renegade Comanche shaman. For years, he raided settlers in and around Sutter’s Flats until the rancher and a posse of locals hunted him down. He signed on with the Confederate Army in exchange for a pardon, but was drummed out within less than a year for killing several Union soldiers under a flag of truce. Recently, the shaman found a home with Bayou Vermilion when the railroad was laying track through western Texas and New Mexico.You are not sure, but Sutter may be the last surviving member of the posse that captured Black Dog.

Jack
Phelps is dangerous to be sure, but he isn’t someone you have heard of having that much of a reputation. Likely Bayou Vermilion hires this type to ‘persuade’ townsfolk along their rail line. Deadly enough to keep folks in check, but expendable as well---because there are a lot more like him.

Sutter nods to you all and heads back in the ranch house as a girl about eighteen years old pulls up in a buckboard. She has some trouble getting the horses to stop where she wants, but has the look of a seasoned hand in dress and sunburnt skin. When the wagon comes to a stop (and she is sure the horses are not going to defy her any longer), the girl takes off her stetson and attempts to beat some of the ever present dust out of it while running a hand through unkempt sandy blonde hair. A Colt Navy rides in a cross draw holster on her left hip and a lariat is coiled on her right. An 1873 rifle rests in a notch in the buckboard beside her. She smiles at each of you, maybe a little longer at Jackson, and maybe a little shorter at Hope, but her demeanor and greeting are genuine.

“My name is Abby and Uncle Bill...I mean Boss Sutter… said you all were comin’ to town with me. Not sure why I need all of ya, to be honest, I can handle myself. Anyhoo, if yer ready, we can get to know each other on the ride in.”

What are you doing?

4/5

3 Red, 1 White

Sun May 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Notice 13
Notice 1d6 (5)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6 (1)

Jackson Sees
Did Jackson see anything of note with 2 raises?

Jackson, ever oblivious to social cues, hops up in the wagon and gives the girl a tip of his hat. ”Miss Abby, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. My name is Jackson Hartway... say, is that a Navy service revolver? I bet there's a story there.”

Character Sheet
Signature

Sun May 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6+6 = 10 (4)

Hope frowned. “That just don’t make any business sense,” the girl said. “I mean, if they drive everyone off, they won’t have any customers and won’t make any money transporting anything. What is their game?”

Heading out to the wagon, Hope said some soothing words to the horses before climbing onto the wagon beside Abby. “Good morning, Abby,” the redhead greeted. “We’re just along if ya need a hand,” she assured the girl. “I’m Hope Monaghan.” She offered her hand to Abby. She wanted to make a decent first impression, before the girl heard the rumors about her past from the other ranch ladies.

Conditions

Edit Signature

Mon May 14, 2018 12:22 am

After the riders head off, Jack walks to the bunk house and retrieves his shotgun. Checking that both the barrel and firing mechanism were clear, he loads both barrels and places extra rounds in his pockets and gun belt. He then retrieves his pipe and tobacco.

Well, no time to change into work clothes. Guess I'll just dust off my suit quick and ride the wagon.

After dusting off his suit and adjusting his hat, he walks out, stops and lights his pipe. Well, looks like it will be an interesting ride.
Walking up to the wagon, Jack climbs in and greets the Ladies.

"Morning Miss Abby, I'm Jack Wagner.", turns to Hope and smiles a friendly smile "Morning Miss Hope, hope you ladies are ready for a wonderful morning."

Jack then turns and sits behind Hope with his shotgun across his lap enjoying his pipe.

Bennies:

Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 am

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 8 (6)
Wild 1d6+2 = 8 (6)

Notice explodes 1d6 (1)
Wild explodes 1d6 (2)

"Madam." Archibald says to young Miss Abby, doffing his pith helmet as he does so. "Captain Archibald Ellsworth, at your service."

"Let us be away chaps, and ladies, before even more trouble has us in its sights!" Called out Archibald as he goes and mounts his horse.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm

notice
1d8 (6)
wild dice 1d6 (3)

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
"Mr Baxter." Archibald says quietly to the former bounty hunter. "You probably have the greater knowledge here, but something...bothers me about that native man."

John turns to Archibald and adjusts his hat.
“Yeah, that one is making my hairs standing on edge. If I’m right, he can do things not unlike Hope and Miss Bishop."

John moves to a different position to watch them leave, making sure none of them slip away to cause any trouble. After they leave, he returns to where Sutter and the others are stood

Muskrat Jack wrote:
Sutter looks over to John and nods knowingly. “Yer right to be eyein’ that Injun. His name is Black Dog. He’s an old Comanche raider from hereabouts and me and him got a little history. I was part of the posse that ran him to ground back in ’73. I heard he signed on with the Confederacy for clemency, but they cut him loose before too long. No doubt Vermilion hired him on ’cause he knows the area…and ain’t likely to balk at pointin’ the business end of a gun at any of the locals.”

“Well, it’s certainly no coincidence that he’s here then. If any of those hired guns is going to cause the biggest problem, it will be that one.”

Hope Monaghan wrote:
Hope frowned. “That just don’t make any business sense,” the girl said. “I mean, if they drive everyone off, they won’t have any customers and won’t make any money transporting anything. What is their game?”

“More controlling the demand, making any ranchers be dependent on them and woe betide anyone who doesn’t fall in line. If they control the prices and demand, they can control their profit. Having seen them on the other side in the Rail Wars, this sort of shady nonsense is just the beginning."

Muskrat Jack wrote:
“My name is Abby and Uncle Bill...I mean Boss Sutter… said you all were comin’ to town with me. Not sure why I need all of ya, to be honest, I can handle myself. Anyhoo, if yer ready, we can get to know each other on the ride in.”

Well, at least she looks the part if nuthin else. John doffs his hat to her
“Ma’am. John Baxter, outrider"

Looking around at the others and considering the way the new hand was looking at Hope and now Sutter’s niece, perhaps he'd be better off riding with him, rather than the wagon.

“Jack, let’s get better acquainted if we are working together. Let's see how well you ride."

Lame

Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 am

Bradon wrote:
Looking around at the others and considering the way the new hand was looking at Hope and now Sutter’s niece, perhaps he'd be better off riding with him, rather than the wagon.

“Jack, let’s get better acquainted if we are working together. Let's see how well you ride."

I think about that for a moment, getting me away from the ladies would be a good idea. Less chance of me getting into trouble but, that Hope lady is like none I have ever seen before. She intrigues me and not just with her beauty but, the way she handles herself.

As I climb out of the wagon and head for the stables, "Why that is the best idea I have heard this morning".

I walk to the stables and saddle my Mule. After double checking the straps I ride on out with my shotgun hooked to the saddle right across my lap for easy access. I ride up next to John. "So what brings you to these parts?"

Bennies:

Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 am

Notice 11
Notice 1d6+2 = 8 (6)
Wild 1d6+2 = 3 (1)

Notice explodes 1d6 (3)

Bradon wrote:
John turns to Archibald and adjusts his hat.
“Yeah, that one is making my hairs standing on edge. If I’m right, he can do things not unlike Hope and Miss Bishop."

John moves to a different position to watch them leave, making sure none of them slip away to cause any trouble. After they leave, he returns to where Sutter and the others are stood.

"Reminded me of the tribal medicine men in Africa." Remarked Archibald. "Though I severely doubt the fellow is as benevolent."

"Do you think Mr Phelps and his band of ruffians will attempt to waylay us as we escort Mr Sutter's niece?"

Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 pm
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Notice
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Bishop hops up in the wagon, her bow in hand. Seeing the armament on the newcomer and knowing what her other companions are carrying, she thinks, at least we'll be well prepared for trouble.
She greets her fellow workers and Abby. Wonder what her issue with Hope is. She’s allowed to dislike her I guess, but she’d better not treat her poorly or try to start anything.

Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature

Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 am
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

On the way back to Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 1:45 PM

The dryness of the road makes you feel every bump and pothole on the way back into town. Abby doesn’t do a good job in avoiding anything either. It’s soon apparent that she is fairly green driving the wagon. It’s also pretty obvious that the girl doesn’t so much dislike Hope, it’s that she is a little intimidated and in awe of her and Bishop as well. The ‘Taming of Devil Eyes’ is a tale that has made it around the Lazy S as well as the mystique of Bishop’s bow and what she could do with it.

The awkwardness wears off once the wagon is down the road and the girl warms up to conversation.

“Yes, Mr. Hartway, it was my Pa’s cap and ball that Uncle Bill had converted to cartridge for me. I know most prefer the Peacemaker’s nowadays but if this gun was good enough for my Pa and Wild Bill, it’s good enough for me.

“Truth be told, I ain’t never shot anything bigger than a rattlesnake with it. I ain’t afraid to, though. If it comes to it, I can be depended on, make no mistake. Don’t want you all to think I can’t hold my own, cause I can…”

Jackson, while very much wanting to keep the conversation going with Abby, very much wants to tell the rest of the group what he noticed about Black Dog. it was fairly obvious to everyone that the Comanche was staring daggers at Bill but there was something else as well.

Jackson
John is right, not just about Bayou Vermilion, but about Black Dog. You notice Black Dog touch one of his fetishes as he stares down Bill and there is a brief flare of something you catch. You are not familiar with the mystical powers of Native American Shaman, but you get the distinct feeling that Black Dog is very well versed in them, particularly the darker arts

The rest of the trip into town passes uneventfully. Once there, Abby produces a list of supplies and heads to the general store, pulling Jackson along with her to help with the load. Jackson quickly finds himself standing idly by as Abby waits for the shopkeep to fill his list.

After Abby and Jackson have been in the store about five minutes, Phelps and a band of Bayou Vermilion gunhands converge on the front of the store from all around. Phelps confronts the rest of you outside, announcing in a mocking tone,

“I commend you folk on your stubbornness, if not your common sense. Most would have cleared out ahead of the storm that is coming. Instead, you chose to leave the Lazy S where you held, at least for the moment, a numerical advantage.”

You all notice right away that Black Dog isn’t around. Still, Phelps has eight thugs with him and while they all may not be experienced gunfighters, you are out in the open at close range.

Phelps smiles as he sees that you all are realizing the situation as turned to be in his favor. His arrogance and apparent desire to be famous cause him to wave his henchman back.

“You there. You look like you may know what you are doing with that .44. Union boy are you? I whistle Dixie myself. What say you and I settle this like gentlemen. I’m callin’ you out, right here, right now. What say you?”

Phelps walks out into the street and squares off, loosening his pistol in its holster as he does so.

“Englishman, I’m assuming you’re English by how ridiculous you look. Better take those womenfolk and step on back. Boys, if that dandy in a derby makes a move for his street howitzer, you all cut him down.

“You ready, Blue Boy?”

All
We can try out the Duel rules with John or you can formulate another way to handle Phelps and his men

What are you doing?

4/5

3 Red, 1 White

Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 8 (6)
Wild 1d6+2 = 6 (4)

Notice explodes 1d6 (2)

"Thats Captain to you sir." Archibald says a little coldly and making little attempt to move. "An officer in Her Majesty's British Army I'll have you know, so kindly show a little respect."

Sat May 19, 2018 4:50 pm

notice 1d8 (4)
1d6 (3)

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
"Reminded me of the tribal medicine men in Africa." Remarked Archibald. "Though I severely doubt the fellow is as benevolent."

"Do you think Mr Phelps and his band of ruffians will attempt to waylay us as we escort Mr Sutter's niece?"

"Considering his past with Sutter, I would very much doubt he's not going to be trouble." John adjusted his hat as they talk, "Sutter's niece would be a prime target for them, so keep your eyes out."

Jack wrote:
As I climb out of the wagon and head for the stables, "Why that is the best idea I have heard this morning".

I walk to the stables and saddle my Mule. After double checking the straps I ride on out with my shotgun hooked to the saddle right across my lap for easy access. I ride up next to John. "So what brings you to these parts?"

Jack sees John limp up to his horse, favouring his right leg.
"I disagreed with something that tried to eat me." he taps his left leg, before climbing up onto his horse without too much difficulty. "After that, I needed some money and this job seemed a nice one compared to some I've had. Looking at the departed railroad thugs, he sighed, "though I'm beginning to reconsider that idea. By the way, we have spare horses if you want to use one, rather than the mule" He reaches into a saddle bag and pulls out a duster, putting in on. Inside the bag, you see the gleam of a large pistol.

"I keep this in case of trouble," he explains, pulling out the pistol and placing it inside the duster, "ammo is expensive so I use it sparingly."

OOC Comments
patreon items - equalizer pistol and the duster

He rode ahead with Jack into town and helped collect the supplies when he spied Phelps and his goons.

"We have trouble incoming," he called to the others

Muskrat Jack wrote:
“You there. You look like you may know what you are doing with that .44. Union boy are you? I whistle Dixie myself. What say you and I settle this like gentlemen. I’m callin’ you out, right here, right now. What say you?”

John tapped his pistol and nodded.

"Since you bushwhackers think its fair game to ambush women, I'm happy to show you why the Union holds moral superiority over scum like you. I will be there in a moment to put you out of our misery."

He turned to talk to Jackson, Hope and Bishop
"Anything you three can do to help me out here. Easier to take this guy down than all the others. If Benny was here, he's the one who be doing this. As it is, I'm not adversed to a bit of help evening the odds here."

Lame

Sun May 20, 2018 8:30 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d4 (1)
Wild 1d6 (4)

Hope was more than happy to chat with Abby on the ride in. She glanced at John, raising an eyebrow, as he dragged the attractive Jack off to ride with him. She gave John a smirk and a wink.

At the store, Hope got herself a soda pop and lounged outside with the others as she sipped it, getting a few looks from passing townies, mostly interested stares from the menfolk, despite her work clothes, and glares from the womenfolk.

When Phelps and his eight lackeys sauntered up, Hope stiffened and put down her drink, standing slowly. He called John out, and she scowled when he accepted.

“What are you doing, you idiot?” Hope hissed at John.

Of course, they were outnumbered.

Hope took a breath and closed her eyes. She leaned into John. “Go with God’s blessing,” she said, kissing him lightly as she prayed over him.

Buffing
There was no limit given on how many buffs a Blessed could do, so I’ll put down a bunch of Faith rolls in the order she wants and the Marshal can tell me how many John gets.

Boost Taunt 7 Success +1d
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 (1)
Wild 1d6 (2)
Spending last red benny as a normal benny to reroll
Faith 1d10 (7)
Wild 1d6 (5)

Boost Shooting 5 Success +1d
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 (2)
Wild 1d6 (5)

Deflection 2 Fail
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 (2)
Wild 1d6 (1)

Armor 1 Fail
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d10 (2)
Wild 1d6 (2)

Smite 9 Raise +4 damage, double duration
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d10 (9)
Wild 1d6 (6)
Ace 1d6+6 = 11 (5)

Exhausted, Hope stepped back against the building, staring down Phelps and his men. She would have tried to curse Phelps, but she was so tired.

Conditions
-2 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation/Fatigue or good night’s sleep)
Bennies: 0/3

Edit Signature

Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 am

Muskrat Jack wrote:

Boys, if that dandy in a derby makes a move for his street howitzer, you all cut him down.

Notice
Notice 1d4 (3)
Wild 1d6 (3)

I've seen boys like this before. Thinking they are big shot gunfighters but, when you get them alone or in a sticky situation, they crumble.

"That's right 'BOYS', you watch the Dandy in the Derby. Think about it. At this close range, with both barrels, This Dandy will either kill 2 of you before you can draw, or I will put both barrels into one individual and make it so his next of Kin won't even recognize him. So while you watch me, we also have several guns inside the store behind me watching you. That's right 'BOYS' watch the Dandy."

Intimidate
Intimidate unskilled (total of 5)
Intimidate 1d4-2 = 2 (4)
Wild 1d6-2 = 4 (6)
Explosion 1d6 (1)

I watch the couple in front of me and ignore the main attraction.

Bennies:

Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 am

WIP
Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 (6)
1d6 (1)

Smarts 8
OOC Comments
1d8 (1)
1d6 (6) 1d6 (2)

Reaching into his saddle bag, he pulls out a large pistol and holster. John switches pistols over, strapping on the Equalizer

"I use this for such an occasion."

OOC Comments
use adventure card to gain taunt d6 for the quad
after Hope's blessings, taunt d8+4 (from EP), shooting d10+1, quick draw
Waiting on Muskrat jack

Lame

Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Notice 5
Notice 1d6 (2)
Wild 1d6 (5)

Bishop pulls out her bow once Phelps and his band show up. Honestly, what is he even hoping to achieve here? Idiot. Who brags about superior numbers then tries to show off on their own? He’ll be eaten alive sooner or later in this world with that attitude and it’s looking like it’ll be sooner.
She’s grateful, if also a bit irritated, for the opportunity Phelps discounting her and Hope as threats gives. She’s not quite sure what Hope had done to help John, but it had clearly been something. Bishop just hoped she’d be able to contribute as well, while she waited, bow at the ready, for someone to make the first move.

Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature

Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]