Fate Chips

MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Fate Chips

Post by MJH »

Fate Chips

Weird West Take on Savage Worlds Bennies
Deadlands has three types of Bennies described below. We’ll incorporate them into the game, but with no real way to draw out of the hat virtually, it will be a percentage roll for each Benny your character normally draws. I realize the probabilities don’t work out, but I like the idea of everyone having a chance at the blue ones and eventually Legendary ones. So the breakdown is as follows:

Roll d100 for each Benny your character draws:

01-60 = white
61- 90 = red
91 - 100 = blue

No Legendary chips available. As the campaign progresses, the chance for Legendary’s will be adjusted

White Chips
If you’re lucky and you live long enough, compadre, you’ll see a lot of these. White Fate Chips are the most common sort and act just like regular bennies. So, if you spend one, you get to reroll a trait roll and keep the best result. All the usual Savage Worlds rules on bennies apply to white Fate Chips.

Red Chips
A red chip allows you to roll a d6 (think Savage Rifts Extra Effort) and add it to your current total (this die can Ace as usual). This negates a critical failure from rolling a 1 on your skill die, should that be an issue. Or you can choose to use a red chip as a white chip. The bad news is that I get a free draw from the Fate Pot for his critters and cowpokes every time you use a red chip. I do not get a draw if you use a red chip as a white (to reroll, soak a wound, or eliminate a Shaken condition).

Blue Chips
Blue chips work just exactly the same as red chips except for one difference. Using a blue chip doesn’t give the bad guys a chip (I don’t get a draw), no matter what you use it for.

Legendary Chips
There’s one more type of chip your posse might see after it becomes a little better acquainted with the Weird West’s dark underbelly. These suckers aren’t put in the pot when you start the game. They’re added when your group beats a really nasty
critter of the Weird West and lives to tell about it. Legend chips are one-use affairs—spend ’em and they’re gone—and can be used in one of two ways :

1) They can be used like a blue fate chip, and add +2 to the final total.

2) They can be used to reroll ANY roll—damage rolls, rolls on a table, a malfunction check, and so on.

Return to “Setting Rules”