House Rules

Pursuit
Game Master

House Rules

Post by Pursuit »

Hey, all! As we get ready to keep the adventure going together, I just wanted to make you aware of a handful of house rules I’ve used at my table that I think will translate well to pbp:

Cooperation Will Be Rewarded: Cooperative rolls of complimentary skills are encouraged! While you can always roll Persuasion to add to another’s Persuasion rolls, you can also make rolls of different skills as long as they make sense together. For example, in an interrogation, one character may roll Persuasion while the other rolls Intimidation (good cop/bad cop). Or, if you are going looking for information in town, one may roll Streetwise to find the right people and another may roll Persuasion to help loosen tongues. Just make sure it works in the game, role play it well, and it will fly!

Crit Fail Your Way to the Top: Crit fails are a part of our game, and they should be fun! If you crit fail, I’ll give you the chance to describe what happens to your character as a result of your snake eyes. If I like what you come up with, we’ll use it in game and you’ll get a Benny to go along with your spectacular screw up.

Raises Matter: If you get a raise on your Notice roll (or pretty much any other non-combat roll), feel free to make something up that your character notices or knows! For example, if you are in a radioactive facility and you don’t have full environmental protection on your armor, but you ace the snot out of your Notice roll, go ahead and write in that you see a safety station with a hazmat suit just waiting to be taken. If there is relevant in-game information that I want you to have as a result of your spectacular rolling, I will PM it to you, but otherwise, be creative. Don’t take things too far (“I notice a brand new TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle with three spare e-clips just lying over there!” probably won’t fly), but have fun when you get raises.
Original Language re Raises
Raises Matter: If you get a raise on either your Notice roll or your Common Knowledge roll, feel free to make something up that your character notices or knows! For example, if you are in a radioactive facility and you don’t have full environmental protection on your armor, but you ace the snot out of your Notice roll, go ahead and write in that you see a safety station with a hazmat suit just waiting to be taken. If there is relevant in-game information that I want you to have as a result of your spectacular rolling, I will PM it to you, but otherwise, be creative. Don’t take things too far (“I notice a brand new TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle with three spare e-clips just lying over there!” probably won’t fly), but have fun when you get raises.
Like Bennies? Be Funny! Be Creative! Role Play the Crap Out of Your Character! I reward creative role playing, jokes, good puns, and truly awful puns with Bennies. If you as a group can make me laugh, groan, or go “that’s awesome!” over the course of a quarter, you each will get an extra Benny to start the next quarter.
Original Language re Bennies
Like Bennies? Be Funny! Be Creative! Role Play the Crap Out of Your Character! I reward creative role playing, jokes, good puns, and truly awful puns with Bennies. If you can make me laugh, groan, or go “that’s awesome!” you get a Benny.
Deleted Language re Common Knowledge Rolls
Notice Your Common Knowledge Rolls: At the beginning of every scene, everyone should roll Notice and Common Knowledge (but don’t worry, I’ll put in an instruction whenever I need you to roll both Notice and Common Knowledge). After that initial GM post to start a scene, please post a Notice roll in your first post after every GM post.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Re: House Rules

Post by Pursuit »

Additional House Rules:

After a few months of play, we're refining the house rules a bit more, as detailed below.

Hindrance: GM (Major)
You guys do a good job playing up your Hindrances, but I can't always keep track of all the Hindrances for all of your charters. If you feel you have really played up a Hindrance in a given post, feel free to add an OOC tag with the name of the Hindrance and how it impacted your character's actions. This will help me out when determining how and when to give out extra bennies for good role play.

First Among Equals
I am converting this edge from Shaintar into a setting rule for our game. Leaders on Rifts earth often have the strength of character that other heroes both admire and respect. This gives heroes with Leadership Edges the ability to influence others (even those not specifically under their direct command) positively in combat situations. Characters in the company of a hero with Leadership Edges may benefit from any Leadership Edges the hero has. These benefits may be enjoyed without the restriction of the normal 5” command radius; anyone who can see or hear the hero — and considers him a strong ally and inspiring figure — enjoys the benefits of his Leadership Edges.

Lead From the Front
Also adopted from Shaintar, each time a Leadership Edge is taken, the player may also give the character a skill increase for one skill less than its linked attribute. In this way, such characters can at least get a small advancement while becoming the kind of leader others will follow into the teeth of a Coalition assault or through an open rift into dimensions unknown. This is retroactive, but only applies to Edges taken as Advances.

Pursuit
Game Master

Re: House Rules

Post by Pursuit »

Tax Free State
Anyone taking an Advance to learn a new skill may learn such new skill at a d4 and still have one skill point left over to advance a different skill. Please be sure to add a post narrating how you learned your new skill (typically by training with a teammate).

Return to “OOC Archives”