They're silent but deadly...
GM: Pender Lumkiss
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Psi-sword vs Wild Vampires

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hi Folks,

I think I made a couple mistakes our first adventure regarding psi-swords and wild vampires. It would seem psi-swords would fall under the magic and psionics weakness for wild vampires. Basically it needs to be MD and it cannot dystroy the vampire it can only incapacitate. I was running it as if the psi-sword could destroy, I am sorry about that and I would not want to cheapen the experience by running the monsters incorrectly.

Once the vampire is incapacitated its head needs to be removed, and its body burned that will stop their fast regeneration.

Going for the headshot with a psi-sword I would rule if enough damage was done to incapacitate, you would also get its head severed, and so you just need to burn the vamp with normal or MD fire to actually destroy it.

I would appreciate any feedback as to whether I am reading the rules correctly or incorrectly. I also put a post up on the google plus savage rift forum asking for some guidance and clarification.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Re: Psi-sword vs Wild Vampires

Post by Freemage »

Unless there's an official ruling counter to that, I think you're reading the RAW correctly, here--Psi-Sword with Mega Damage activated does normal damage, up to Incapacitation. And yeah, called shot to the head doing instant-decapitation if it also incapacitates the vampire makes sense.

Also, note that it's actually VERY easy to burn an incapacitated Vampire to ash--just set a crucifix, Star of David, copy of the Koran, Buddhist prayer beads, etc, on the body, and it will combust into flames.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Freemage wrote:Unless there's an official ruling counter to that, I think you're reading the RAW correctly, here--Psi-Sword with Mega Damage activated does normal damage, up to Incapacitation. And yeah, called shot to the head doing instant-decapitation if it also incapacitates the vampire makes sense.

Also, note that it's actually VERY easy to burn an incapacitated Vampire to ash--just set a crucifix, Star of David, copy of the Koran, Buddhist prayer beads, etc, on the body, and it will combust into flames.
Clint got back to us on google plus savage Rifts and basically cyberknights need to carry silver or a stake to actually kill them. But your thought on just tossing a religious symbol on the headless vampire to burn them is genius. Note the advantage provided from the champion edge allows for a psi-sword to not be MD.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

Good to know. Jude will follow behind with a bunch of cheap silver crosses... :)

Or heck, I'll just carve some little wooden ones.

Assuming this is stuff we would know and not metagaming...
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Jude Maverick wrote:Good to know. Jude will follow behind with a bunch of cheap silver crosses... :)

Or heck, I'll just carve some little wooden ones.

Assuming this is stuff we would know and not metagaming...
In the initial encounter Bane rolled high enough to let you guys know all about vamps.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Come to think of it, Cyberknight starting gear includes a silver cross and wooden stakes. They wouldn't need that if their sword could seal the deal.

the good news is that I wasn;t 100% sure, so I had made the psi-sword MD in that fight - and it wouldn't be a huge retcon to say that Lucretia tapped them with the cross after - she only killed 2-3 vamps I think, and one of them was part of the wrap-up.

Of course, they also start with Champion, so what's the deal with needing MD unless they have Champion? Seems odd. Ah! Unless that's including the Psi-Blade edge?
Lucretia Altara Cyber-Knight (appears human) Alt of Ember
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Armor powered (1 hour), psi-sword, psi-shield, cyber-armor active (indefinite)
Sunlight pendant (30 minutes)
Bennies: 4/3
Parry: 10, -2 to be hit by technological weapons [13 with psi-shield]
Toughness: 15(6), +2 Toughness vs Supernatural evil [19(10) vs ranged with psi-shield]
Pace: 8, run d10
Weapon in hand: Martial Arts (1d6+1d4+2, never unarmed) or Psi-blade (1d6+3d10, AP 8 [4 if split])
Charisma: +2(mods: +2 if respect CK, -4 if recognized as Altara)
Other: Blind-ish: Notice auto fails for color, text, and flat images
Click here to edit your signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Lucretia wrote:Come to think of it, Cyberknight starting gear includes a silver cross and wooden stakes. They wouldn't need that if their sword could seal the deal.

the good news is that I wasn;t 100% sure, so I had made the psi-sword MD in that fight - and it wouldn't be a huge retcon to say that Lucretia tapped them with the cross after - she only killed 2-3 vamps I think, and one of them was part of the wrap-up.

Of course, they also start with Champion, so what's the deal with needing MD unless they have Champion? Seems odd. Ah! Unless that's including the Psi-Blade edge?
That seems like the most consistent interpretation: Cyber-Knights, as Champions, can just use their regular Psi-Swords; characters with Psi-Blades need to amp them up to MD status.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Cantrell

Post by Cantrell »

Psi-Blades are automatically MD, though. And since you need Master Psionic as a prerequisite, any Psi-Blade wielder will have Greater Smite, which the can trap as they like.
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Cantrell wrote:Psi-Blades are automatically MD, though. And since you need Master Psionic as a prerequisite, any Psi-Blade wielder will have Greater Smite, which the can trap as they like.
True. However, it may be a generic ruling made with an eye towards future/variant content. For instance, the psi-warrior PCC gets a psi-sword very similar to a cyber-knight, but they are not necessarily Champions, so there could be situations (such as if they are low on ISP) that they have neither MD nor Champion available.

EDIT: Of course, it could just be an oversight, someone forgetting that cyber-knights are Champions. Or maybe fallen cyber-knights? I don't recall if they keep Champion or not.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Toughness: 15(6), +2 Toughness vs Supernatural evil [19(10) vs ranged with psi-shield]
Weapon in hand: Martial Arts (1d6+1d4+2, never unarmed) or Psi-blade (1d6+3d10, AP 8 [4 if split])
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Lucretia wrote:
Cantrell wrote:Psi-Blades are automatically MD, though. And since you need Master Psionic as a prerequisite, any Psi-Blade wielder will have Greater Smite, which the can trap as they like.
True. However, it may be a generic ruling made with an eye towards future/variant content. For instance, the psi-warrior PCC gets a psi-sword very similar to a cyber-knight, but they are not necessarily Champions, so there could be situations (such as if they are low on ISP) that they have neither MD nor Champion available.

EDIT: Of course, it could just be an oversight, someone forgetting that cyber-knights are Champions. Or maybe fallen cyber-knights? I don't recall if they keep Champion or not.
We don't have rules for Fallen CKs yet (just some homebuilds). I suspect Champion would probably be one of the things they lose, though.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Freemage wrote:We don't have rules for Fallen CKs yet (just some homebuilds). I suspect Champion would probably be one of the things they lose, though.
We have at least partial information. I looked it up (under Code of Honor in the CK entry): After committing either a major or mortal transgression, they lose the "Inner Light" IF ability, which is the Champion edge. If they fall completely, they get everything back, including Champion. On the presumption that they are now a "Champion of Evil" though the bonus wouldn't apply to Vampires anymore anyway, so it would be a moot point.

Still, both falling and fallen CKs would have the ability to spend ISP to make their swords MD.
It also occurs to me that most CKs use weapons other than their psi-swords; Champion would apply to those as well.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

There are two flavors of fallen Cyber-Knights described in SFoNA. Fallen knights lose their Champion edge and Charisma bonus but retain their other abilities. Blackguards are Cyber Knights that have gone bad, really bad. They get the evil Champion edge and retain their other abilites except the Charisma bonus.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Return to “Tomorrow Legion: 13th SET - The Quiet Ones”