Odds of a Critical Failure with a Mini-Rail Gun

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Odds of a Critical Failure with a Mini-Rail Gun

Post by Ndreare »

I was just thinking about the odds of critical failure with a mini-rail gun because a player had to roll for it.
These things are super dangerous to use for the owner. They run a very high likely hood of going south. (The same is true for powers where a player has to roll four dice with only 1 bennie such as onslaught.)

So i figured maybe other people would be curious, what do you think? I notice there is not much of a difference between a d4 and a d12. The odds are surprisingly very high for such a common weapon, but I guess thinking about it it makes sense.

d12 Chance of Technical Difficulties
  • 6,095 = Events With a 1
    20,736 = Total Events
    29% = Percentage
    16.7% = Events of 1 on Wild Die
    4.90% = Critical Failure
d10 Chance of Technical Difficulties
  • 3,439 = Events With a 1
    10,000 = Total Events
    34% = Percentage
    5.73% = Critical Failure
d8 Chance of Technical Difficulties
  • 1,695 = Events With a 1
    4,096 = Total Events
    41% = Percentage
    6.90% = Critical Failure
d6 Chance of Technical Difficulties
  • 671 = Events With a 1
    1,296 = Total Events
    52% = Percentage
    8.63% = Critical Failure
d4 Chance of Technical Difficulties
  • 175 = Events With a 1
    256 = Total Events
    68% = Percentage
    11.39% = Critical Failure
So was my process correct or did I do something wrong?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Kuikku

Re: Odds of a Critical Failure with a Mini-Rail Gun

Post by Kuikku »

Though your math looks right, skill die of 1 divided by times rolled, I find the resulting percentages rather high. Based strictly on probability rolling a d10 skill should come up a 1 about 10% of the time. Your test sample has 1s showing up more than three times the statistical average. In fact all your "skill roll 1" percentages are between 2.5 and 4 times higher. Oddly enough your wild die rolling a 1 is exactly right. The numbers should be more like:

d12
Chance of 1: 8.33%
Wild Die of 1: 16.67%
Crit Fail: 1.38%

d10
Chance of 1: 10.00%
Crit Fail: 1.67%

d8
Chance of 1: 12.50%
Crit Fail: 2.08%

d6
Chance of 1: 16.67%
Crit Fail: 2.77%

d4
Chance of 1: 25.00%
Wild Die of 1: 16.7%
Crit Fail: 4.16%

Again, based on strict statistical probability. And if you look at these numbers you can see that a d12 has about one third the odds of a crit fail that a d4 does.

I presume your got your numbers from the roll records here on site. If so there may need to be a test of the RNG being used to verify its veracity.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Kuikku wrote:Though your math looks right, skill die of 1 divided by times rolled, I find the resulting percentages rather high. Based strictly on probability rolling a d10 skill should come up a 1 about 10% of the time. Your test sample has 1s showing up more than three times the statistical average. In fact all your "skill roll 1" percentages are between 2.5 and 4 times higher. Oddly enough your wild die rolling a 1 is exactly right. The numbers should be more like:
The results you are showing is for only rolling a single die. My odds were calculated for rolling 4 dice and having one or more of those 4 dice show a 1 and the Wild Die show a 1 at the same time. It is a critical failure if the Wild Die and Any Other Die shows a 1.

The idea is to show the riskiness of using a 4 bolt onslaught or a TX50. Because once it happens you cannot bennie to undue the result.

Edit: For normal rolls consider checking out the following I put together for playing Echo. http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... 889#p15889
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

RFT wrote:
Kuikku wrote:Though your math looks right, skill die of 1 divided by times rolled, I find the resulting percentages rather high. Based strictly on probability rolling a d10 skill should come up a 1 about 10% of the time. Your test sample has 1s showing up more than three times the statistical average. In fact all your "skill roll 1" percentages are between 2.5 and 4 times higher. Oddly enough your wild die rolling a 1 is exactly right. The numbers should be more like:
The results you are showing is for only rolling a single die. My odds were calculated for rolling 4 dice and having one or more of those 4 dice show a 1 and the Wild Die show a 1 at the same time. It is a critical failure if the Wild Die and Any Other Die shows a 1.

The idea is to show the riskiness of using a 4 bolt onslaught or a TX50. Because once it happens you cannot bennie to undue the result.

Edit: For normal rolls consider checking out the following I put together for playing Echo. http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... 889#p15889
Yeah, the same thought occurred to me when I did my Power Armor Soldier and I used the same methodology. The results are a little disconcerting especially considering with rail guns you have fire using the max rate. At least the heavier guns have a RoF of 3 so at a d10 Sparky "only" has crit fail rate of 4.52%
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

RFT wrote:My odds were calculated for rolling 4 dice and having one or more of those 4 dice show a 1 and the Wild Die show a 1 at the same time.
Somehow I missed that crucial point. Any automatic weapon will have higher chances of Crit Fail of course. I just did not realize how much higher for even a ROF 4 weapon.

This makes even a three shot Bolt much less appealing.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Kuikku wrote:
RFT wrote:My odds were calculated for rolling 4 dice and having one or more of those 4 dice show a 1 and the Wild Die show a 1 at the same time.
Somehow I missed that crucial point. Any automatic weapon will have higher chances of Crit Fail of course. I just did not realize how much higher for even a ROF 4 weapon.

This makes even a three shot Bolt much less appealing.
That is what I was thinking. I don't want my turn to end with me being shaken.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades