View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Were-Creatures Confuse Me. Little Help? 
Author Message
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am
Posts: 306
Reply with quote
Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Okay, so my confusion primarily stems from the "use powers and trappings to mimic the hybrid form" bit. How would that work, exactly?

Let's say we come across a combat situation and I want to go from human into "hybrid form" in order to fight. What do I do? Activate a power, and say that's the character transforming? Does she get the benefit of armor while in her "hybrid form?" Does she get the benefits of her pre-selected animal form while in hybrid form? How does this all work?

_________________
Adventures in the Dinosaur Swamps

GM Bennies 9/9


Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
I believe the point is that by default a were creature does not have a hybrid form. One example to get a hybrid form would be to use the ARES rules to create one. That's what the Beast Mode portion of ARES was designed for I think. An alternative would be to reskin an IF to create a hybrid form (the Cyber Knight IF for example.) There is no reason you HAVE to have a hybrid form, however. You could just be a were that is also a Cyber Knight.

_________________
“Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.”

Tiberius
Bennies 3 of 3
ISP 28/30

Player James
Alts: Fizzwaite Zipwidget, Hawdore, Sparkmort "Sparky" Zipwidget, Brute


Stats
Agility d8 | Smarts d8 | Spirit d10 | Strength d6 | Vigor d6
Pace 8 | Parry 8 | Toughness 12(6) + 2 toughness when cyber-armor is active.

Powers
Valiant Will (Boost Trait)
This power allows a character to increase any of a target’s Traits by one die type for a standard success, or by two with a raise. The affected Trait can exceed d12. Each step over d12 adds +1 to his Trait total. For example, a raise on someone who already has a d12 in the affected Trait grants him d12+2 for the duration of the power. Multiple castings stack, though the caster must keep track of when each casting expires as usual.
Trappings: Brave - When a power cast with this trapping is used it instills the beneficiary with courage against that which goes bump in the night. For +1 ISP, gain +1 to Spirit checks vs Fear, and on a Raise gain +1 spirit die type increase.

Dauntless Resolve (Greater Boost Trait)
This Mega Power doubles the power’s effect; two die types for a success, four with a raise.
Trappings: Brave - When a power cast with this trapping is used it instills the beneficiary with courage against that which goes bump in the night. For +1 ISP, gain +1 to Spirit checks vs Fear, and on a Raise gain +1 spirit die type increase.

Argent Strike (Smite)
This power is cast on a weapon of some sort. If it’s a ranged weapon, it affects one entire magazine, 20 bolts, shells, or arrows, or one full “load” of ammunition (the GM may have to determine the exact quantity for unusual weapons). While the spell is in effect, the weapon’s damage is increased by +2 or +4 with a raise.
Trappings: As it is effective against many supernatural foes Socrates gives his weapon an aura of silver when using this power.

Courageous Strike (Greater Smite)
This Mega Power version of smite confers two effects:
  • The bonus damage is +4 with success, +8 with a raise, and the damage becomes Mega Damage.
  • The caster may choose any Trapping to confer at the time of casting. This might be silver, fire, holy light, etc.
Trappings: Varies.

Legacy of the Fae (Deflection)
Deflection powers work in a variety of ways. Some actually deflect incoming attacks, others blur the target’s form or produce other illusionary effects. The end result is always the same however — to misdirect incoming melee and missile attacks from the user. With a standard success, attackers must subtract 2 from any Fighting, Shooting, or other attack rolls directed at the user. A raise increases the penalty to –4. This also acts as Armor against area effect weapons.
Trappings: Using a technique long known to the fae he can bend the light around him to create ghost after images of himself, confusing those that are attempting to target him.

TK Shield (Greater Deflection)
This Mega Power version of deflection grants a −4 effect on a success, or −6 on a raise.
Trappings: Though lacking true telekinetic ability he possesses sufficient skill to project a field a short distance from his body can deflect most forms of ballistic and energy attacks.

Frequently used skills
Skills:
    Agility
    • Fighting d12
    • Shooting d10

    Smarts
    • Psionics d8
    • Knowledge(American) d8
    • Knowledge(Arcana) d4
    • Notice d6 + 2 (sight based checks only)
    • Survival d6 + 2
    • Tracking d6 + 2


Special Abilities
Ability Name: Ability Description if desired

Edges
    AB (Psionics) - Gain 10 ISP and three powers
    Champion - +2 damage / toughness vs. supernatural evil
    Level Headed / Improved Level Headed - Act on best of three cards in combat
    Major Psionic - Double base ISP and gain ability to get bonuses to Psionics roll by spending ISP
    Master Psionic - Gain access to Mega Power versions of all powers the hero knows
    Elan - +2 when spending a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls)
    Woodsman - +2 Tracking Survival, and Stealth
    Rapid Recharge - Regain 1 Power Point every 30 minutes
    Brave - +2 to Fear tests
    Ambidextrous - Ignore –2 penalty for using off-hand

Hindrances
    [Racial] Enemies - All creatures of Darkness (Undead) and Flame (Demonic) will seek to kill an eldakar given the opportunity.
    [Racial] Weakness - All eldakar are deathly vulnerable to Black Iron and Blood Steel, suffering +4 damage from those sources.
    [Iconic] Code of Honor - See below
    Major Heroic - A Cyber-Knight always helps those in need.
    Minor Loyal - A Cyber-Knight would never never betray or disappoint his comrades.
    Minor Pacifist - A Cyber-Knight only uses violence when all other options have been exhausted. Prisoners and the defenseless are to be protected above all else.


Code:
[OOC=Notice]
Notice Die [dice]1d6[/dice]
Wild Die [Dice]1d6[/Dice]
[size=85]Constant Effects: +2 to sight based Notice checks[/size]
[size=85][color=#8000FF]Temporary Effects: None[/color][/size][/OOC]


Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm
Profile
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm
Posts: 2009
Reply with quote
Pursuit wrote:
Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Okay, so my confusion primarily stems from the "use powers and trappings to mimic the hybrid form" bit. How would that work, exactly?

Let's say we come across a combat situation and I want to go from human into "hybrid form" in order to fight. What do I do? Activate a power, and say that's the character transforming? Does she get the benefit of armor while in her "hybrid form?" Does she get the benefits of her pre-selected animal form while in hybrid form? How does this all work?


Lets see... Do you have the all thumbs hindrence? Do you have the non-standard physiology hindrance? Do you have a habit that requires you to return to some base form?

But really does it matter?? Want to have a cheeta form? Take fleetfooted, and anytime you use that bigger run die type maybe you momentarily transform into a cheeta. Want to have a natural attack? Pick up martial arts. When you use martial arts you are clawing at someone.

Want to be super stealthy in your cheeta form in the woods?? Take the woodsman edge

_________________
13th GM bennies GM Bennies
7/8
-1 Benny for extra complication
-2 Bennies for putting the hurt on Libetas and Zan


Vampire Kingdoms GM Bennies
8/8
-1 Benny for extra complication


Legends of the Black Bennies
1/2
-1 benny for BDC to resist greater slumber!!


Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am
Posts: 306
Reply with quote
Tiberius wrote:
I believe the point is that by default a were creature does not have a hybrid form. One example to get a hybrid form would be to use the ARES rules to create one. That's what the Beast Mode portion of ARES was designed for I think. An alternative would be to reskin an IF to create a hybrid form (the Cyber Knight IF for example.) There is no reason you HAVE to have a hybrid form, however. You could just be a were that is also a Cyber Knight.


I know I don't have to have a hybrid form, but I want one. It's the following language that confuses me:

High Command wrote:
Were-Creature

Some of the iconic abilities of were-creatures, namely the hybrid form and certain damage resistances, are notably missing from this race. Those are best designed via the powers chosen. This could be accomplished with a slightly retrapped Crazy or Cyber-Knight, the ARES or MARS frameworks, or even a Mind Melter. Just remember, Trappings are the key!


So, how does one use trappings and frameworks to create a hybrid form? What are the mechanics of it?

Also, awesome avatar.

_________________
Adventures in the Dinosaur Swamps

GM Bennies 9/9


Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:51 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am
Posts: 306
Reply with quote
Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Pursuit wrote:
Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Okay, so my confusion primarily stems from the "use powers and trappings to mimic the hybrid form" bit. How would that work, exactly?

Let's say we come across a combat situation and I want to go from human into "hybrid form" in order to fight. What do I do? Activate a power, and say that's the character transforming? Does she get the benefit of armor while in her "hybrid form?" Does she get the benefits of her pre-selected animal form while in hybrid form? How does this all work?


Lets see... Do you have the all thumbs hindrence? Do you have the non-standard physiology hindrance? Do you have a habit that requires you to return to some base form?

But really does it matter?? Want to have a cheeta form? Take fleetfooted, and anytime you use that bigger run die type maybe you momentarily transform into a cheeta. Want to have a natural attack? Pick up martial arts. When you use martial arts you are clawing at someone.

Want to be super stealthy in your cheeta form in the woods?? Take the woodsman edge


All fine insofar as it goes. But I'm still butting up against a mental block, here. I don't get how the mechanics are intended to work. Maybe I'm thinking about it too hard (or not hard enough), or maybe I'm looking for a bright line rule that isn't there and this is all just squishier than I think.

_________________
Adventures in the Dinosaur Swamps

GM Bennies 9/9


Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 pm
Profile
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm
Posts: 1279
Reply with quote
Pursuit,

Do you want the IF to be reskinned as "beast mode" ?

So, take were-whatever race then when transformed you gain all (or some of) the IF abilities?

For example, cyberknight. Beast mode activates cyber armor, psi-sword, first into battle, etc?

If so, it's pretty simple just requires rewriting the descriptive text.

VV

_________________
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!


Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:34 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am
Posts: 306
Reply with quote
Venatus Vinco wrote:
Pursuit,

Do you want the IF to be reskinned as "beast mode" ?

So, take were-whatever race then when transformed you gain all (or some of) the IF abilities?

For example, cyberknight. Beast mode activates cyber armor, psi-sword, first into battle, etc?

If so, it's pretty simple just requires rewriting the descriptive text.

VV


I guess so. That’s what’s intended by this, then?

High Command wrote:
Were-Creature

Some of the iconic abilities of were-creatures, namely the hybrid form and certain damage resistances, are notably missing from this race. Those are best designed via the powers chosen. This could be accomplished with a slightly retrapped Crazy or Cyber-Knight, the ARES or MARS frameworks, or even a Mind Melter. Just remember, Trappings are the key!

_________________
Adventures in the Dinosaur Swamps

GM Bennies 9/9


Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am
Posts: 25
Reply with quote
I don't know if the website would allow it, but check out the race from Accursed called the Vargr. It is basically a were wolf character that transforms. The curse acceptance mechanic also does a good job of replicating a full power were wolf.

Salcor


Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:44 am
Profile
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 am
Posts: 1315
Reply with quote
Pursuit wrote:
I guess so. That’s what’s intended by this, then?

High Command wrote:
Were-Creature

Some of the iconic abilities of were-creatures, namely the hybrid form and certain damage resistances, are notably missing from this race. Those are best designed via the powers chosen. This could be accomplished with a slightly retrapped Crazy or Cyber-Knight, the ARES or MARS frameworks, or even a Mind Melter. Just remember, Trappings are the key!


Yes, that is the intention. As mentioned in the race: Just remember, Trappings are the key!

_________________
CS Fighting Joes


Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme created with Colorize It.
Designed by ST Software.