Need Help Coming Up With Trappings Effects

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Sephia

Need Help Coming Up With Trappings Effects

Post by Sephia »

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Savage Worlds, so I'm not used to coming up with trappings for powers yet and was hoping some folks on here might be able to offer some suggestions or advice about adding some trappings to my Cyber-Knight character.

I've got ideas written up for how the powers look and function fictionally, but I'm not sure what special effects (if any) I might add to them to reflect these details. Here's what I've got so far...
Cyber-Knight Powers
Boost Trait*: An aura of light surrounds the Cyber-Knight as they channel their inner strength to augment their physical capabilities.
Range: Self Duration: 3 (1/round) ISP: 2
Details
  • Increase any trait by one die type on a standard success, increase by two with a raise.
Deflection*: The Cyber-Knight enters a state of heightened awareness and reflexes allow them to dodge attacks almost faster than the eye can see, creating a motion blur effect to external observers.
Details
  • Attackers subtract 2 from any Fighting, Shooting, or other attack rolls directed at the user. On a raise, the penalty increases to -4.
  • Also acts as Armor against area effect weapons.
Healing (built into armor): The gauntlets of the armor have emitters built into their palms which release a charge of regenerative energy to accelerate healing of wounds.
Range: Touch Duration: Instant ISP: 3
Details
  • Must be used within the "Golden Hour".
  • For Wild Cards: Removes a wound with a success, two with a raise. Roll suffers a penalty equal to the victim's wounds (in addition to any the caster might be suffering herself).
  • For Extras: If ally is dead, no healing may be attempted. If not, a successful Psionics roll returns the ally to the game Shaken.
  • Can also cure poison and disease if used within 10 minutes of the event.
Smite*: The Cyber-Knight infuses a weapon with psychic energy, which manifests by causing the affected weapon to crackle with blue-white energy.
Details
  • Cast on a melee weapon or a full ‘load’ of ammunition. While the spell is in effect, the Weapon’s damage is increase by +2 or +4 with a raise.
  • Additional Targets: Character may affect up to 5 targets by spending a like amount of additional ISP.
* Only affects Cyber-Knight, but can be activated as free action.
Sephia
Character Name: Sephia
Parry:6, Toughness: 15(6), Tech suffers -2 to hit
ISP: 10/20 | Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
  • Boost Trait (self only): Increase any trait by 1 die type. 2 on raise.
  • Deflection (self only): -2 to be hit by Ranged and Melee. -4 on raise.
  • Healing: Remove 1 wound. 2 on raise.
  • Smite: Give weapon +2 damage. +4 on raise. Active
Combat Edges:
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore off-hand penalty.
  • Champion: +2 damage and toughness vs supernatural evil.
  • Martial Artist: Never considered unarmed or subject to Unarmed Defender rule. Adds +d4 to Strength roll on successful unarmed attack.
  • Mighty Blow: If joker drawn, x2 total damage on successful melee attack.
  • Quick: Discard and redraw initiative until higher than 5.
  • Two-Fisted: Roll attacks for each hand separately, ignoring multi-action penalty.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Re: Need Help Coming Up With Trappings Effects

Post by Freemage »

Sephia wrote:Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Savage Worlds, so I'm not used to coming up with trappings for powers yet and was hoping some folks on here might be able to offer some suggestions or advice about adding some trappings to my Cyber-Knight character.

I've got ideas written up for how the powers look and function fictionally, but I'm not sure what special effects (if any) I might add to them to reflect these details. Here's what I've got so far...
So, here's my suggestions. Note that if I say, "for +1 ISP", this means you take the Trapping, and the cost increase is fixed, not an optional add-on:
Boost Trait*: An aura of light surrounds the Cyber-Knight as they channel their inner strength to augment their physical capabilities.
Details
  • Increase any trait by one die type on a standard success, increase by two with a raise.
Option 1: This is the standard Light Trapping--for the duration of the effect, you are surrounded by an SBT of normal illumination. It draws attention to you, but also means you have no illumination penalty in close-quarters combat.
Option 2: For +1 ISP, you make this sunlight, meaning it will damage Vampires and other vulnerable creatures accordingly.
Deflection*: The Cyber-Knight enters a state of heightened awareness and reflexes allow them to dodge attacks almost faster than the eye can see, creating a motion blur effect to external observers.
Details
  • Attackers subtract 2 from any Fighting, Shooting, or other attack rolls directed at the user. On a raise, the penalty increases to -4.
Option 1: No mechanical effect (it's pretty much the standard Deflection effect)
Option 2: +1 ISP, you actually ARE moving faster: +2 Pace, and on a Raise you get +1 Die-Type to Agility (this is the Electric/Jolt trapping re-skinned for 'high speed blur').

Healing (built into armor): The gauntlets of the armor have emitters built into their palms which release a charge of regenerative energy to accelerate healing of wounds.
Range: Touch Duration: Instant ISP: 3
Details
  • Must be used within the "Golden Hour".
  • For Wild Cards: Removes a wound with a success, two with a raise. Roll suffers a penalty equal to the victim's wounds (in addition to any the caster might be suffering herself).
  • For Extras: If ally is dead, no healing may be attempted. If not, a successful Psionics roll returns the ally to the game Shaken.
  • Can also cure poison and disease if used within 10 minutes of the event.
The spirit of the Cyber-knight calms the target, reducing their shock. On a Raise, if the target is currently Shaken, they may make an immediate (and free) roll to unshake. (This is a reskin of Electric/Jazz.)
Smite*: The Cyber-Knight infuses a weapon with psychic energy, which manifests by causing the affected weapon to crackle with blue-white energy.
Details
  • Cast on a melee weapon or a full ‘load’ of ammunition. While the spell is in effect, the Weapon’s damage is increase by +2 or +4 with a raise.
This is the one that really lets you go wild. First off, note that I removed the "Additional Targets" option--this is because Smite is self-only/free action for you.

You've got a lot of nice choices for possible trappings, but for my money, Heat/Fatigue is the way to go. Forcing anyone struck by the weapon to roll Vigor or suffer a level of Fatigue as well as the damage can really make them suffer. (If you're confident in your ISP supply, Cold/Fatigue is even better, but doubles the cost in ISP for the power.) Acid/Corrosion is also a viable option for the power, but it really doesn't fit the C-K motif.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Sephia

Post by Sephia »

Thanks Freemage, those all sound pretty cool. I'll run them by RFT when I've got some time later on. :)
Sephia
Character Name: Sephia
Parry:6, Toughness: 15(6), Tech suffers -2 to hit
ISP: 10/20 | Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
  • Boost Trait (self only): Increase any trait by 1 die type. 2 on raise.
  • Deflection (self only): -2 to be hit by Ranged and Melee. -4 on raise.
  • Healing: Remove 1 wound. 2 on raise.
  • Smite: Give weapon +2 damage. +4 on raise. Active
Combat Edges:
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore off-hand penalty.
  • Champion: +2 damage and toughness vs supernatural evil.
  • Martial Artist: Never considered unarmed or subject to Unarmed Defender rule. Adds +d4 to Strength roll on successful unarmed attack.
  • Mighty Blow: If joker drawn, x2 total damage on successful melee attack.
  • Quick: Discard and redraw initiative until higher than 5.
  • Two-Fisted: Roll attacks for each hand separately, ignoring multi-action penalty.
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

Sephia wrote:Deflection*: The Cyber-Knight enters a state of heightened awareness and reflexes allow them to dodge attacks almost faster than the eye can see, creating a motion blur effect to external observers.
Details
You can also add the Darkness: Shroud effect as you are moving so fast even light has trouble keeping up. The effect grants an additional -1 to be hit by ranged attacks.
Sephia wrote:Smite*: The Cyber-Knight infuses a weapon with psychic energy, which manifests by causing the affected weapon to crackle with blue-white energy.
Details
  • Additional Targets: Character may affect up to 5 targets by spending a like amount of additional ISP.
* Only affects Cyber-Knight, but can be activated as free action.[/ooc]
Like Freemage said you are sort of mixing powers there. Smite adds damage to your weapon/ammo while Confusion allows you to select up to five targets at cost for each.
Beyond that you might like the Electric: Spasms effect. If cast with a raise the target must make a Vigor roll or be at -2 parry until their next action.
Or maybe the blue-white energy is cold based dealing an Ice: Slow effect. When hit the target is "frosted" and all movement is considered as if across Difficult Ground. (Cost 2 pace for each 1" moved.)
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Kuikku wrote:
Sephia wrote:Deflection*: The Cyber-Knight enters a state of heightened awareness and reflexes allow them to dodge attacks almost faster than the eye can see, creating a motion blur effect to external observers.
Details
You can also add the Darkness: Shroud effect as you are moving so fast even light has trouble keeping up. The effect grants an additional -1 to be hit by ranged attacks.
Sephia wrote:Smite*: The Cyber-Knight infuses a weapon with psychic energy, which manifests by causing the affected weapon to crackle with blue-white energy.
Details
* Only affects Cyber-Knight, but can be activated as free action.[/ooc]
Like Freemage said you are sort of mixing powers there. Smite adds damage to your weapon/ammo while Confusion allows you to select up to five targets at cost for each.
Beyond that you might like the Electric: Spasms effect. If cast with a raise the target must make a Vigor roll or be at -2 parry until their next action.
Or maybe the blue-white energy is cold based dealing an Ice: Slow effect. When hit the target is "frosted" and all movement is considered as if across Difficult Ground. (Cost 2 pace for each 1" moved.)
Actually, the normal smite description has the 'additional targets' rule, just like Confusion and a few others. However, the C-K version is explicitly Self-Only.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

Freemage wrote:Actually, the normal smite description has the 'additional targets' rule, just like Confusion and a few others. However, the C-K version is explicitly Self-Only.
Huh, I missed that somehow. Thanks for pointing that out.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

Return to “Out of Character Topics”