EP Review

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

What Do You Think of Proposed Amendments for EP Menu

Make the Change
45%
Keep Options As Is
No votes
Keep Options but add subject to GM approval to those in question
55%

Total votes: 11

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Explorer Points Menu

Post by Ndreare »

I would advise against removing either option.

They both have some okay uses. Perhaps instead use the following wording.

"GM Permission required prior to use, discouraged on dramatic tasks"
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

RFT wrote:I would advise against removing either option.

PS: For the record I am biased as I was hoping to use Always a Hero to get a drone this quarter Pender was helping me build..
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I'm less fond of these options going away. I do not see where they hurt anything. I AM okay with the idea of buying out any patrons with autoraises with EP they can spend and changing the Patron rewards, but removing these options seems needlessly strict. I literally just use Always a Hero to buy the Sidekick Edge when it was dramatically appropriate in game.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

RFT wrote:
RFT wrote:I would advise against removing either option.

PS: For the record I am biased as I was hoping to use Always a Hero to get a drone this quarter Pender was helping me build..
I have it on firsthand knowledge that Pender can probably make that happen without having to use EP. Bizarro Alex in the 13th is just such a sidekick that didn't EP. It fit the story and only turned Max into a bloodthirsty cold killer to get it, but ya gotta pay the piper.
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Bennies: 2 (+1 quarter bonus, +1 joker, +1 Pender's oops, -4 for rerolling resist slumber. Really. -1 Reroll Spellcasting, -1 reroll spellcasting Kreeghor dramatic task, +1 massive success on task 2, +1 Big Damn Hero, +1 RP and completing the task/saving the world, -1 EE Agility, -1 EE dispel, -1 reroll damage, +2 Jokers)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Active Effects: Greater Boost Trait - Spellcasting (+2 die types, d12+5); Greater Deflection (-6 to hit, additional -1 to hit ranged)
Parry: 5
Toughness: 13 (7) (Combat Mage Armor, Full Environmental Protection)
PPE: 43 / 30
Pace: 6
Edges: Improved Rapid Recharge, Expanded Awareness, Elan, Marksman (spellcasting), Slow Regeneration, Expert (spellcasting); all damage dealing spells are MD, all mega-versions are +5 AP
Adventure Cards: Cutting In Line - Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
Weapon in hand: Scepter of Spellweaving
Weapon in holster: Shard Pistol, TW Flaming Sword
Edit Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: EP Review

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Added a poll to this thread.

Amended the menu items to be proposed.

Have your say (if you have multiple accounts, vote with only one).

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Always a Hero doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I'd be fine with it staying. If anything, I think it takes the pressure off to use every possible starting slot on advanced Edges, to the exclusion of more flavorful/appropriate starting Edges.

I am not a fan of Auto-Aces, and I'm fine with them going away.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Voted. I'm okay with leaving the options there, but subject to GM discretion. There are times where the story fits to leave the option available for Always a Hero. Maybe less so on auto-aces, particularly with the wealth of options available to either add a flat bonus to the roll or to buy additional bennies for extra effort / rerolls. Still, if EP menu options are even an option, I don't think they need to be cut out entirely. Just leave it up to the GM. GMs should be encouraged to run their game the way they see fit, and shouldn't feel bad about saying no to auto-aces and/or Always a Hero, if they have a particular beef against those options.
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Bennies: 2 (+1 quarter bonus, +1 joker, +1 Pender's oops, -4 for rerolling resist slumber. Really. -1 Reroll Spellcasting, -1 reroll spellcasting Kreeghor dramatic task, +1 massive success on task 2, +1 Big Damn Hero, +1 RP and completing the task/saving the world, -1 EE Agility, -1 EE dispel, -1 reroll damage, +2 Jokers)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Active Effects: Greater Boost Trait - Spellcasting (+2 die types, d12+5); Greater Deflection (-6 to hit, additional -1 to hit ranged)
Parry: 5
Toughness: 13 (7) (Combat Mage Armor, Full Environmental Protection)
PPE: 43 / 30
Pace: 6
Edges: Improved Rapid Recharge, Expanded Awareness, Elan, Marksman (spellcasting), Slow Regeneration, Expert (spellcasting); all damage dealing spells are MD, all mega-versions are +5 AP
Adventure Cards: Cutting In Line - Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
Weapon in hand: Scepter of Spellweaving
Weapon in holster: Shard Pistol, TW Flaming Sword
Edit Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

As a note for Auto Aces, I have been waffling.

I know there are situations where they can ruin the fun people are having. But I have been both for them and against them so my vote can be ignored on that one. But for Always a Hero i honestly felt like L.C. and Hardin would be well within the flavor of the game to turn their allies into Wild Cards by choosing a Sidekick edge.

I know Freemage has strong feelings on Always a Hero and Pender really dislikes Auto-aces so we should make sure we wait until both have opined on this.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

As with most things, I think “with GM approval” and “don’t ask for the moon” are pretty good guidelines for whatever a player might want to do. I like both options, as long as they don’t break up the flow of the game. Voted.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
hobo joe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by hobo joe »

Auto aces rock. Keep them. Thought: this is a temporary thing that encourages awesome moves. Like an Uber Benny.

Always a hero is kind of lame. Ditch it. This is permanent and negates the whole reason for xp and advancement and is dumb.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Yeah, don't ask for the Moon is the thing. For one I would not let folks take the legendary Professional Edges. I'm not fond of it for any starting character actually. Personal preference. But some of those really cool, really situational, and really dramatically appropriate edges? Yeah go for it. I'd have probably said yes in a home game anyway.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Corrigon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Corrigon »

Nobody uses them in my game, though maybe i need to be harsher on my players
GM bennies 6/8
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Okay, so, yeah, this is my dream-modification of the list.

At a bare minimum, Always a Hero should've been barred to Dragons. The fact that they have to earn each and every Rank in order to access their Edges is a key balance for them against the raw power of their base level.

Similarly, I feel that CritFails--the possibility that no matter how damned skilled you are, SOMETHING can go wrong, is another balance factor to the system. Being able to bypass it on any given roll by investing a couple EP pretty much takes the teeth out of it.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe: You say that now--but note that you also disallowed Dragons in your game entirely. Always a Hero + Dragon is singularly horrific in terms of game balance, because one of the very few drawbacks to Dragons is that they cannot use Born a Hero, even with their creation points (because they only get them after they start play).

And yes, I know, "You can always tell the player no." I have an aversion to anything that pushes us to a divide between 'nice' GMs and 'mean' ones.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote:At a bare minimum, Always a Hero should've been barred to Dragons. The fact that they have to earn each and every Rank in order to access their Edges is a key balance for them against the raw power of their base level.

Similarly, I feel that CritFails--the possibility that no matter how damned skilled you are, SOMETHING can go wrong, is another balance factor to the system. Being able to bypass it on any given roll by investing a couple EP pretty much takes the teeth out of it.
I think these are both really good points.

I do not really care about auto ace, but...
How about wrote: Auto Ace: You dice automatically has the maximum value of the die as if aced and you roll again. If you roll snake eyes you still critical fail. (GM permission required prior to rolling.)
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Instead of calling it Auto-Ace, call it something else, then, so that there's no hemming about the terminology. Perhaps "Momentary Brilliance: Add the base die-type to any Trait roll." I could get behind that.

Oh, and since I'm making this convo more complicated, anyway, perhaps replace Always a Hero with, "Always a Student: When taking a Skill Advance, you may buy two new Skills at d4 each."
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote: "Always a Student: When taking a Skill Advance, you may buy two new Skills at d4 each."
I want Clint to realize this is not 1976 anymore and just make this a rule in Savage Worlds Black edition.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

How about...

Always a Hero!
All our characters are born a hero and most of them even stay that way. This purchase allows you to select an Edge above your current rank. Of course you must have an advance and all necessary prerequisites.
Special Restrictions: This option requires GM approval and cannot be used for Hatchling Dragons or other Iconic Frameworks restricted from Born a Hero.
(3 EP) Seasoned
(5 EP) Veteran
(7 EP) Heroic
(10 EP) Legendary

(1 or 2 EP) Grace: Add +2 to any Trait Roll. (Requires GM Notification prior to rolling, cannot stack with other options from this list)
(2 or 3 EP) Inspired: Add +4 to any Trait Roll. (Requires GM Notification prior to rolling, cannot stack with other options from this list)
(3 or 4 EP) Momentary Brilliance: Add the base die-type to any Trait roll. (Requires GM Notification prior to rolling, cannot stack with other options from this list)

(5 EP) Always a Student: When taking a Skill Advance, you may buy two new Skills at d4 each.

Prices adjusted based on feedback.

Note the price of this is in dispute and needs to be worked on.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Feemage,

If we removed Always a Hero all together, would you still think it is valid for GM fiat or would that in your mind make the character invalid?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Still don't care for Always A Hero!, but that does eliminate the worst-case example.

The others look very reasonable.

GM Fiat is a different matter; I'm not going to flat-out tell GMs how to run their games. However, such a character is likely to have a harder time transiting from one game to another, without modification.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I don't want to rely on GM fiat because it makes for a very uneven playing experience. If I wanted a ton of individual games I'd play on RPOL. One of the blessings of our site is a largely seamless player experience. GM styles vary, but not the overall player experience. We get XP at the same time, we get metarewards at the same time, things cost what they cost. No one pays to win. Despite that we have a method for people to give both in time and money to make the site better.

To the specific proposal, I suggest this. it is the most conservative of changes which I believe handles most objections without removing the options or changing them drastically.

(1 EP) To add +4 to any Trait or Skill Roll (must be declared before rolling)
(2 EP) Automatic Ace on any Trait or Skill roll (must be declared before rolling)

Becomes

(1 EP) To add +4 to any Trait or Skill Roll (must be declared before rolling; has no effect on failures based on die results and the roll can be modified by bennies as well)
(2 EP) Add a number equal to the trait die on any Trait or Skill roll (must be declared before rolling; has no effect on failures based on die results and the roll can be modified by bennies as well)

Always a Hero! already includes a need for GM approval, so I see no need to change it. It literally cannot be used if the GM objects.
Tales of the 17th SOG
hobo joe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by hobo joe »

Yes. This works for me. Oh, Patrick, can I borrow a couple EP?
High Command wrote:I don't want to rely on GM fiat because it makes for a very uneven playing experience. If I wanted a ton of individual games I'd play on RPOL. One of the blessings of our site is a largely seamless player experience. GM styles vary, but not the overall player experience. We get XP at the same time, we get metarewards at the same time, things cost what they cost. No one pays to win. Despite that we have a method for people to give both in time and money to make the site better.

To the specific proposal, I suggest this. it is the most conservative of changes which I believe handles most objections without removing the options or changing them drastically.

(1 EP) To add +4 to any Trait or Skill Roll (must be declared before rolling)
(2 EP) Automatic Ace on any Trait or Skill roll (must be declared before rolling)

Becomes

(1 EP) To add +4 to any Trait or Skill Roll (must be declared before rolling; has no effect on failures based on die results and the roll can be modified by bennies as well)
(2 EP) Add a number equal to the trait die on any Trait or Skill roll (must be declared before rolling; has no effect on failures based on die results and the roll can be modified by bennies as well)

Always a Hero! already includes a need for GM approval, so I see no need to change it. It literally cannot be used if the GM objects.
Daniel
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Daniel »

High Command wrote:I don't want to rely on GM fiat because it makes for a very uneven playing experience.
I allow things in my game I wouldn't normally, but I feel like I should, based on other games. Consistency. So GM fiat has not worked for me. I could crack down but why? Shrug.

As far as the rest, I'd be beating a dead horse to get into it all again. Already said I hate AA on Hangouts. Mostly the key thing for me is this:

There should always be a chance at failing, even if a remote one.

Cheers and love to all...... ... *returns to Whiskey bottle*.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I do not care for the +4 for 1 EP.

It is effectively better than a Joker and equal to two edges. An Edge is generally +1 to combat or +2 to non-combat. I think 1 EP per +2 up to the 3 EP for Trait is fair, it is a balance between what Lars proposed and what you propose (the way it has been).
As a note in SW a +2 to a roll means on most feats only snake eyes fails unless a contested trait or fighting. In which case it is still a very effective bonus. Note: it has the benefit of stacking with edges and iconic abilities.

On Always a Hero, I am still neutral. I would allow it in some situations even if it was not an EP item, so I think having a EP way to allow it formalizes the process.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

LARS wrote:There should always be a chance at failing, even if a remote one.

Both of the options I gave specifically call out that they can fail and crit fail.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Daniel
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Daniel »

High Command wrote:
LARS wrote:There should always be a chance at failing, even if a remote one.

Both of the options I gave specifically call out that they can fail and crit fail.
Then cool. The current AA are too much. We agree.
Agents of Titan Robotics Industries (AoT)
The Agents (Players)
• Jim - Sparkmort Zipwidget: Male Tinker Gnome Power Armor Ace
• Derrick - Caiden: Male Human, Momano Headhunter
• Steve (Hans) - Berk: Male Simvan Psi-Druid Monster Tamer/Rider
• Murp - Rupetta Martin: Female Human MARS Merc Soldier (X-CS)
• Freemage - Lance: Male Dog Boy Techno-Warrior (Cyber[netic] Knight)
• CSC - Ozy “Oz”: Dragon

My Accounts:
Active
  • Daniel - Admin/GM of AoT
  • Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
  • Vi - Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers
  • Henry Grimes - CS Commando - Rumble in the Jungle

Not Active
  • Hondo - Wild Psi Stalker
  • Burn - Mega Juicer - Juicer Uprising (On Hold)
  • Blackfish - Ogre Combat Mage - 12th SET (On Hold)
  • Setrakian - Dragon Juicer - FoM Jungles (Retired)

NPC Accounts
  • Lord Coake - NPC
  • Valentine - NPC
  • Erin Tarn - NPC
  • James T - NPC
  • Hagen Lonovich - NPC

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

LARS wrote:Then cool. The current AA are too much. We agree.
That is a bit far, but I see it as a good bit of give and take to include it. Personally I miss the auto crit from EU for 1 EP :P
Tales of the 17th SOG
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

RFT wrote:I do not care for the +4 for 1 EP.

It is effectively better than a Joker and equal to two edges. An Edge is generally +1 to combat or +2 to non-combat. I think 1 EP per +2 up to the 3 EP for Trait is fair, it is a balance between what Lars proposed and what you propose (the way it has been).
As a note in SW a +2 to a roll means on most feats only snake eyes fails unless a contested trait or fighting. In which case it is still a very effective bonus. Note: it has the benefit of stacking with edges and iconic abilities.

On Always a Hero, I am still neutral. I would allow it in some situations even if it was not an EP item, so I think having a EP way to allow it formalizes the process.
It is better in some ways than a joker but given that it's a one shot I don't see it as equal to or better than an edge.

As to cost, I've said this before and I still maintain that cost is relative. Before you go jacking up the prices I strongly suggest looking at how that impacts most players. Too much inflation is not good.

I do like the proposed change to auto ace though. Giving a bonus equal to the trait did is functionally equal to the AA but does not remove the chance for failure.
Heracles
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Heracles »

Freemage wrote:Okay, so, yeah, this is my dream-modification of the list.

At a bare minimum, Always a Hero should've been barred to Dragons. The fact that they have to earn each and every Rank in order to access their Edges is a key balance for them against the raw power of their base level.
....seeing as how I just made Grynn using this to get Metamorphosis, I feel like Freemage is disappointed with me... :(
Heracles
Character Summary
Dog Boy Crazy

Active effects: Uncanny Reflexes (-2).

Parry: 7 (plus Uncanny Reflexes -2; -2 when Berserk); Toughness: 18(7) [Triax T-11 Enhanced Armor]
Weapon in hand: Chain Long Sword, Vibrosword or Wilk’s 447 Laser Rifle

Edges: Elan, Jack-of-all-Trades, Major Psionic, Off The Handle, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos

Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Healing, Smite
ISP: 15/20

Charisma: -2 (0 with Dog Boys)
Bennies: 2

Adventure Cards:
  • Deadly Blow - Play after damage is rolled to double the total of a successful melee attack.
  • In the Zone - Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
  • Renown - Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Wounds:

Currently playing in: 3rd Set The Losers
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Heracles wrote:

....seeing as how I just made Grynn using this to get Metamorphosis, I feel like Freemage is disappointed with me... :(
Eh, the humiliation of being stuck in pony form at the start counterbalances it. :mrgreen:
GM Bennies: 7/7
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Heracles wrote:

No, because you used an option the site allows. (This is my issue with the notion that it's "only with GM permission"--I don't want to be the Mean GM.) If I had my 'druthers, you wouldn't be able to do this, but since I don't, you can, and I won't hold it against you, nor against your GM for saying yes.

(I will point to the extreme version: A Huge Dragon (2 size increases) with full Metamorphosis and still a Novice. Throw in Teleportation as their first Seasoned Advance.)
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Return to “Out of Character Topics”