Drones and Stuff

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Drones and Stuff

Post by Ndreare »

So lets talk about how handling drones should be considered. Specifically we are talking about the variety of drones such as armed and unarmed drones for military service. Not the cheap $600 dollar ones we have in our garages.

So what ideas do you have?

The Solution cannot be: "Steel everything from this copyrighted book and post it on the web."
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
BILLY BORG

Re: Drones and Stuff

Post by BILLY BORG »

So, my big question relating to Borgs is, Since the brain /body interface is pretty much telepathic control of a drone, can that direct control be transferred to a surveillance drone or even a giant robot? I dont mean RC here as much as full Telepresence.
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
Parry:7, Toughness: 20(8),
Combat Edges:Rock and Roll
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
Bennie: 4
  • +1 GM Reward
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

@Billy Bong - Interesting idea of Telepresence.

I was considering more RC control via uses of Cybernetics
Droid Controller Suite
  • Core Electronics Package
  • Signal Booster
  • possibly a Droid Interface Package (new)
Non Combat Droid - Survellience
  • Audio Package
  • Optics Package
  • Signal Booster
  • Range Data System
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Veteran Wolfen MARS Techno-Warrior
Charisma: 0 || Pace: 8 (1d8) || Parry: 8 (9 with claws) || Toughness: 23 (6) || Size: +1 || Strain: 19/22
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges:
  • Level-Headed Edge: Draw two initiative cards and take the best.
  • Danger Sense Edge: Notice roll -2 before being suprised or ambushed.
Relevant Edges:
Bennies: 4/4
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • JA-9 Variable Laser Rifle
  • Chain Greatsword
  • Silvered Vibro-Blade Vembraces
Adventure Cards _
  • (46) Renown: Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

BILLY BORG wrote:So, my big question relating to Borgs is, Since the brain /body interface is pretty much telepathic control of a drone, can that direct control be transferred to a surveillance drone or even a giant robot? I dont mean RC here as much as full Telepresence.
I could see that as an option fitting in with fiction. Basically remote piloting without the effort of sitting in a control station.

PS: This is weird, a ton of chatter in hangouts, but nothing people want here?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

From a game balance perspective, the notion of limited actions needs to be preserved.

Personally, I prefer a combination of Edges and Gear (and most Gear can be figured as a Cybernetic equivalent, with all the advantages and disadvantages that go along with that).

First off, baseline rules:

Operating a drone remotely normally inflicts a -2 to all actions taken using the drone, unless the character has the Drone Jock Edge. In addition, actions taken through a Drone are just like actions taken by the main character for purposes of Multi-action Penalties.

(Someone a bit better with such things can stat out drones, their capabilities and weapons systems, the range and security of control, and the costs thereof--and yes, in any decent sci-fi setting, "drone jamming/jacking" is going to be a thing.)

Drone Jock (Professional)
Requirements: Novice, Agility d6, Smarts d6, and Boating, Piloting d6 OR Driving d6
Drone Jocks are experts at maneuvering a drone via a remote interface. They ignore the -2 penalty such remote action normally inflicts. This Edge applies to any Drone you have the appropriate operation skill at d6+ for.

Drone Ace (Professional)
Requirements: Novice, Drone Jock, Agility d6, Smarts d6, and Boating, Piloting d6 OR Driving d6
A Drone Ace may spend their personal bennies to allow a Drone under their control to soak damage. This uses the Drone's Vigor die. The Pilot must have the appropriate skill type at d6 for that Drone.

Drone Master (Professional)
Requirements: Seasoned, Drone Ace
You may roll the operation skill (Boating, Driving or Piloting) for a drone you control and fire one weapon system without taking a Multi-Action Penalty.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Here is a Spam dump of the google chat in case people want. I did not format or edit, only copy and paste.
Cut and paste spam
Sgt 86Delta (After Adventure Reporter)
Does SR have drones for Techno Wizards? If it does, then we reskin the control element as either a skill soft or an encoded piece added onto a cybernetic communication upgrade.
Sgt 86Delta • 9:04 AM
Timothy Ferrelli
Kno. Electronics would be needed at least.
Timothy Ferrelli • 9:06 AM
Venatus Vinco
I can see drones working a couple of ways: as gear or as edges
As gear, we can probably steal from interface zero
As edges, just reskin followers and sidekick
Venatus • 9:09 AM
Timothy Ferrelli
I like the edge option
Timothy Ferrelli • 9:10 AM
Venatus Vinco
In Palladium Rifts, both Naruni and the CS used drones...similar to the unmanned vehicles we see today
I think High Command has a drone controller MOS in the CS Game too, so his thoughts might be helpful
Venatus • 9:11 AM
More the control elements I was concerned about. Good call on Interface Zero. Druids are already statted there.
Druids really? Auto correct gah.
*Droids folks droids.
Sgt 86Delta • 9:13 AM
Savage Worlds is intended to be like original D&D.
Players can have tons of allies running around with them.

I see no reason why an edge would be needed for drones as long as the character has the required operating skills.
Perhaps give them a -2 Control value and let an Edge remove the -2
9:14 AM
Venatus Vinco
I think I used IF drones as the model for CS drones in Old Chicago
I was only saying it could go either way...drone control as an edge could work...kind of like power armor jock
Venatus • 9:15 AM
I could see followers for fully autonomous drones (what we would call robots).
Such as hot wiring a couple dozen skelbots or something
9:16 AM
Jon Neeper
I have a feeling we should see if there is a savage shadowrun
Jon • 9:16 AM
Multiple droids at once or one at a time?
Savage Shadow run is Interface Zero setting
Sgt 86Delta • 9:16 AM
Venatus Vinco
there is a savage shadow run, one of the guys on the wild die did it
Manuel, or something like that
But yeah, IF Zero is the way to go
Venatus • 9:17 AM
Jon Neeper
Well if it already done and something the rift setting supports lets do it.
Jon • 9:19 AM
A multi action penalty would apply to controlling multiple.
But an edge could remove it.

I think w should write up three or four custom edges.

Edge 1: Removes -2 penalty for controlling drones

Edge 2: Allows controlling two drones without a MAP

Edge 3: Drone Master allows controlling 4 drones.

Edge 4: Mobile controller. The most skilled of drone controllers know how to use the miniaturized controllers that allow them to operate drones on the move. (Normally a -2 to operate for those without the edge)
9:19 AM
IFZ has droids skills and edges already detailed and statted. No need to Savage it.
Sgt 86Delta • 9:19 AM
But not everyone wants to buy a copy, and copying whole sections out of another book for posting online, undermines the creators efforts to produce more material.
9:20 AM
James
Regardless of the number of edges being able to control multiple drones with no penalty seems insanely powerful. If I'm going to be in a group with someone that can run around with 4 drones that game better have some pretty nifty non-combat stuff to do.
Nothing kills a game faster for me than being a third wheel.
James • 9:55 AM
Power wise it would be the same as using Summon Ally to have four drones.
But they are harder to replace
9:57 AM
James
That's one of the reasons I changed characters in the Vampire game. Fizz's primary goal is not being a combat god. I don't care if there are twenty summoned creatures running around slaughtering everything. Spartacus was sucking it for me for several reasons but mostly because I felt useless at doing the one thing he was supposed to be good at.
James • 10:00 AM
Venatus Vinco
Yes, because summon ally isn't broken ☺
Venatus • 10:00 AM
James
There is that, yes.
James • 10:02 AM
Venatus Vinco
Just giving a quick read of interface zero...they require a cybernetic implant to control drones, the number is dictated by the "level" of impant
then you can use drone in "pilot" mode (100% "hands on" control) or basic mode where they act on their own according to their programming
Savage Rifts has a vehicle interface cybernetic...so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to build off of that
Venatus • 10:05 AM
Bleys Ingram
Just the most basic drone functions. Lets say, fly 3 clicks away, send back video and act as a network hub. There is a lot of logistical awesomness without giving extra attacks.
VV, neat.
Bleys • 10:07 AM
Venatus Vinco
Man, I love drones...especially CS drones chasing players
Venatus • 10:07 AM
Bleys Ingram
Well, we do play in a setting where the AI of a robot horse is better at threat assessment than the average human.
Bleys • 10:09 AM
Weird. Because I get to control drones without an edge or a cybernetic implant
10:09 AM
Bleys Ingram
Thumbs are not an edge?
Bleys • 10:10 AM
Venatus Vinco
It's a skill at least...piloting most likely
shooting if its armed
I guess it depends on the flavour we want
mentally controlled AI drones or remote controlled drones
Venatus • 10:11 AM
Bleys Ingram
Or driving i suppose. I am still a bit unclear on the drive/pilot divide.
Bleys • 10:12 AM
Venatus Vinco
Amen Bleys
That is not very clear to me either
So...if you wanted to have "remote controlled" drones use piloting (for example) then add an edge "Drone Jockey" that functions like power armor and robot armor jock
FFF
Venatus • 10:13 AM
Moves inn ground = Diving
Moves through air = Piloting
Just ignore Any Crazy contradictions
10:15 AM
luna Peyton
But those crazies like to contradict
luna • 10:15 AM
Venatus Vinco
If it moves "in" the ground wouldn't that be drilling?
Venatus • 10:15 AM
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

My only input on this is that a drone seems like a fine idea. A horde of drones, however, seems like a very bad idea on multiple levels.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

I like this. My favorite Shadowrun character was a rigger that would sit several blocks away from the action and provide support in various ways. I would absolutely build a Rift rigger. (I like the way that sounds too.)

IMO there needs to be several categories of drones available. Recon with good sensors and stealth, Light Support with limited weapons and armor but the ability to provide distractions or cover (audio/visual tricks/tests-of-will or smoke/barriers), and Heavy Support with a bit more armor and heavier weapons but much shorter flight/drive time because of the power requirements.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

In rifts, they don't do drones as much as they robots; There is a drone controller device that is arm mounted, another that is a vehicle mounted one, and another that is cybernetic. The CS has the cybernetic one, Naruni offers the vehicle mounted controls (which controls a network of weapon and sensor drones - check out Mercenaries), and Northern Gun offers the arm mounted one that can be mounted in Power Armor.

Here's how I did the Savage version of the Skelebot Interface Implant:
  • Skelebot Interface Implant (1): This piece of cybernetics connects to a built-in cyber radio that translates voice commands into coded transmissions to the Skelebot. This allows the Robot Specialist to order any Skelebots under his command without the need for specialized external equipment. Range is limited to 150". This piece of cybernetic equipment is Top Secret, only made by the Coalition and is available only by assignment. (Strain 1; Not for sale)
Honestly, it needs a bit of work, since I intend for it to allow the players to use the command edges on the skelebots.

Short version: Create robot/drone extras and use the Command and Sidekick rules, depending on the capability of the drones.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Now the real question:

Can Telemechanics be used to steal control of drones? :)
OOC Comments
Bennies: 4/4 Red Bennies: 1
Toughness: 21 (9 armor), Parry 9
Notice: 1d8 (+2 visual)

Character Name: Alecto
Race: Android
Iconic Framework: MARS Techno Warrior
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (d12+2), Vigor d8
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6 (8); Parry: 6 (9); Toughness: 11 (+2 in armor, and +7 armor)

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Outsider (-1) (Applies when true robotic nature is revealed)
Distinctive (Concealable; a Wound reveals) (-1)
Restricted Path (No ISP/PPE) (-2)
Wanted (Major) (-2) (CS, Federation would destroy immediately; also mysterious creating faction hasn't forgotten her)
Dependency (Power) (-2)

Skills: 15 (5 fight/shoot/throw)
Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances
Clueless (Major - Is rebuilding knowledge of the world after having suffered near-total memory loss)
Stubborn (Minor - Has great confidence in ability to calculate outcomes; tends to reject counterarguments)
Cautious (Minor - Always wants to plan for every contingency; cover every angle)

Edges
Adaptable: Attractive
Upgradable
Brawny (+1 Toughness, 8x Str carrying)
Brave (+2 vs fear)
Ambidextrous (ignore offhand penalty)
Rich (5000creds at start, 2 rolls on gear tables)
Filthy Rich (20,000 at start, 3 more rolls)
Quick Draw (draw weapon as free action, +2 to Agility to fast-draw)
Two-Fisted (ignore multi-action penalty for using off hand)
Level-headed (draw two initiative cards and use best)
Sweep (Make single Fighting attack and apply to all adjacent targets at -2)
Rock and Roll (Ignore recoil penalties on full-auto shots)
Strong Willed (+2 to Taunt and Intimidate; +2 on Tests of Wills)
Elan (+2 on rolls resulting from using a Benny)
Improved Sweep (Fighting attacks made with Sweep suffer no penalty)

Upgrades (Cybernetics): (Max Strain: 12)
Core Electronics (1)
* Interface jack: +4 Repair or Common knowledge for linked equipment, 20 mile radio
Optics Package (1)
* +2 sight Notice, IR/Nightsight, 50x distance/20x macro, +2 vs blinding, record images
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
Cyber-Wired Reflexes 1 (1)
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
* 4d skill chip (Fighting)
Targeting Eye (1)
* +2 Shooting on calibrated weapons
Nano-Repair System (2)
* Heal 1 Wound/day, +4 vs Bleeding Out
Built in Weaponry (1)
* 1 Vibroblade (purchased: 13,500)

Gear
Wilk's 237 Laser Pistol (2d6+1, AP4, RoF 1, 16eclip, 15/30/60, semiauto)
JA-11 Laser Rifle (3d6 laser or 3d6+1 ion, AP2, RoF 1, 60eclip, 30/60/120, can do MD for 10x shot power +snapfire, reduces range penalties by 2)
Vibro-Sword (Str+1d10 MD)
NG-E4 Plasma Ejector (3d10 MD, no AP, RoF 1, 12eclip, 24/48/96, snapfire, affects least-armored location, can ignite)
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun
Range: 70/140/280
Damage: 2d10+4
RoF: 3
AP: 4
Shots: 20
Weight: 60 lbs
Cost: 75,000
Notes: Mega Damage, no Snapfire penalty. Shots listed are number of full bursts.
SFD Huntsman Armor (+3 armor mod)

The Fury - Signature Item
Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Loudspeaker, 10 mile radio, laser rangefinder, nightvision
Min str d8
96 hours operation on full charge

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Alecto wrote:Now the real question:

Can Telemechanics be used to steal control of drones? :)
If course
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Freemage has a line on the edges... I would go even further to just retrapp Beast Bond and Beast master for drones. Then you are done. You want a small drone that has flight and a laser, use the falcon or hawk stats and toss a wilks on it with a d6 of shooting. Maybe a bit of armor.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Freemage has a line on the edges... I would go even further to just retrapp Beast Bond and Beast master for drones. Then you are done. You want a small drone that has flight and a laser, use the falcon or hawk stats and toss a wilks on it with a d6 of shooting. Maybe a bit of armor.
That would be a good fit for a self-operating drone with an AI unit. But it's not so good a fit for one that is pretty much just an extension of the operator. (Beast Bond/Beast Master are for 'pets' and other trained beasts--which an AI Bot would certainly fit.)

And note: The SciFi companion has basic robot rules that would be very suitable for self-operating drones. You could even create a mod (Remote Controlled) to turn the robot into a direct control drone like others were looking for. It would probably be a cost decrease to the base cost of the Bot, since it wouldn't be relying on an AI to operate, and wouldn't have Smarts or Spirit dice.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Freemage has a line on the edges... I would go even further to just retrapp Beast Bond and Beast master for drones. Then you are done. You want a small drone that has flight and a laser, use the falcon or hawk stats and toss a wilks on it with a d6 of shooting. Maybe a bit of armor.
Genius!
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

They'd have a Smarts score actually. Just not a high one.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

High Command wrote:They'd have a Smarts score actually. Just not a high one.
Would a remote-controlled drone have a Smarts score? They would be using the operator's intelligence. If you wanted a very basic AI to handle moments when it's no longer being controlled, then I don't think you need actual Smarts for a simple contingency instruction like, "Stay and record all events in your area" "Attack everything in your area" or "Go to [co-ordinates] and land/self-detonate".

If the Drone is going to have decision-making capacity when it's not linked to an operator, of course, then it gets Smarts and Spirit both, and would need a different Mod for switchable control.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

I think you need a Smarts score for scenarios where the drone may need to react to something outside the operator's instructions. It would be similar to animal smarts allowing limited binary type decision making.
Radecliffe

Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Freemage wrote:
High Command wrote:They'd have a Smarts score actually. Just not a high one.
Would a remote-controlled drone have a Smarts score? They would be using the operator's intelligence. If you wanted a very basic AI to handle moments when it's no longer being controlled, then I don't think you need actual Smarts for a simple contingency instruction like, "Stay and record all events in your area" "Attack everything in your area" or "Go to [co-ordinates] and land/self-detonate".

If the Drone is going to have decision-making capacity when it's not linked to an operator, of course, then it gets Smarts and Spirit both, and would need a different Mod for switchable control.
As I said, 90% of all drones in Rifts are actually robots. Like Skelebots. So yeah, Smarts and Spirit. The few that aren't are also dumb as bricks.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Two different level of Bots
(a) Radio (RC) controlled
(b) AI controlled

Radio (RC) controlled drones/bots
  • Less Expensive
  • Short Range
  • Fewer Bots/Drones Controlled
  • Easier Repairs because of Mechanical Repairs and no coding or programming
  • Lower Smarts and Spirit scores

AI controlled drones/bots
  • More expensive
  • Long Range
  • More Bots/Drones, Less Control Required
  • Harder Repairs due to Specialized, Coded, and Programmed parts.
  • Higher Smarts and Spirit scores (required for atonomy)
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Charisma: 0 || Pace: 8 (1d8) || Parry: 8 (9 with claws) || Toughness: 23 (6) || Size: +1 || Strain: 19/22
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
  • (46) Renown: Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

An RC drone wouldn't have a Spirit or Smarts attribute at all unless they had some sort of autonomous functionality. With RC drone hacking would be a straight up opposed skill roll with the operator. I'd propbably go with Kn Electronics or Kn Computers for that.

For AI drones I'd just use Smarts to resist hacking attempts. The smarter the drone the better it would be at resisting.
Radecliffe

Skills

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Radecliffe wrote:An RC drone wouldn't have a Spirit or Smarts attribute at all unless they had some sort of autonomous functionality. With RC drone hacking would be a straight up opposed skill roll with the operator. I'd propbably go with Kn Electronics or Kn Computers for that.

For AI drones I'd just use Smarts to resist hacking attempts. The smarter the drone the better it would be at resisting.
I'd say Kn Computers for hacking, Kn Electronics for jamming. Jamming just shuts down active control, while hacking lets you actually issue your own commands. RC Drones might also have "Hacking Security" as a mod, which would impose a penalty on attempts to subvert control.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Freemage wrote:
Radecliffe wrote:An RC drone wouldn't have a Spirit or Smarts attribute at all unless they had some sort of autonomous functionality. With RC drone hacking would be a straight up opposed skill roll with the operator. I'd propbably go with Kn Electronics or Kn Computers for that.

I'd say Kn Computers for hacking, Kn Electronics for jamming. Jamming just shuts down active control, while hacking lets you actually issue your own commands. RC Drones might also have "Hacking Security" as a mod, which would impose a penalty on attempts to subvert control.
Definitely a good mod for military and security style drones. Illegal for civilians, of course.
Radecliffe

Skills

Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Would you use MARS Operator IF for these Drone/Bot Operators?

Could you reskin the Shifter (Savaging Your Favorite Rifts Ideas) for use with a Drone Operator? Their abilities to summon (Bind the Summoned/Master Summoner) specifically.
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

If using MARS I'd suggest adapting either the Power Armor Soldier Package or the Robot Armor Operator package replacing the armor with a suitable drone (perhaps 2 depending on how powerful they were.)

Basing combat drone stats on existing power and/or robot armor seems pretty straightforward to me.

Hover cycles could be adapted for recon style drones (make them smaller, maybe one mod slot, use speed/armor stats, add sensor package, etc.)

Make them battery powered to give them a dependency (recharge every 24 hours.)
Radecliffe

Skills

BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

So, i plan on statting up the original content models that I am making. I wanted to get feedback on autonomous weapon turrets. The vehicle is basically a large Motorcycle/Robohorse with a turret on its rump. Basic Robohorses already have a pretty sophisticated AI. Does anyone see a problem with the AI controlling the weapon, acting on the riders voice command? Yes it is a free attack but equipment gives a lot of different bonuses.

This is not so much a drone question as it is an autonomous
system question.
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
Parry:7, Toughness: 20(8),
Combat Edges:Rock and Roll
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
Bennie: 4
  • +1 GM Reward

Return to “Out of Character Topics”