Mods Workshop

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Mods Workshop

Post by Freemage »

Okay, so this is a general concept post to start with. We occasionally come up with Mods for items that aren't listed in the official rules. That's cool, and allowed explicitly by the wording in the book, so yay for us.

But we absolutely should have a record of these as they are discussed and settled on, including the value (which affects repair costs, etc) and exact game mechanics. It would need to be a new sub-forum in the House Rules section, written to match a site Template. Also, type of Mod (Major/Minor) matters--Minor Mods are limited to 2 of a given type (but are also dirt-cheap, something we shouldn't tweak); Major Mods are not limited in this way, but are obviously more expensive. If something is written up as a Major Mod, you should be ready to see an item with that Mod x4 on a Sig Item.

Here's some that I've seen that are either common enough to bury in my memory, or are just recent enough that I haven't forgotten them:

1: Range increases. I'm inclined to say that a Minor mod adds the Extreme Range category (from SFC) to an item, while a Major Mod increases the range by 50%? Multiples of the Major would increase by another 50% of the base range (so 2 mods gives you a total of x2 Range; 4 Mods gives you x3 Range).
2: AP. This is a high-demand one, but I note (as always when this comes up) that AP and Damage are almost identical in this particular setting--there's virtually no one walking around with less than 4 Armor who counts as a serious opponent. I don't like it as a Minor Mod at all. I think +2 AP as a Major Mod that costs 20K is about right.
3: Increase Damage Die-type. This is a Major Mod, and should be priced according to the number of dice the damage uses. This does not apply to the Strength component of a Close Combat Weapon--that's paid for with a Strength die-type increase, instead. Still, that gives us a reasonable baseline--10K Cr/weapon die. So a damage-enhanced NG-33 costs 20K to bring up to a 2d6+1 Weapon, while a Heavy Railgun becomes 4d12+4 at the bargain price of 40K.
4: Increase RoF: Ick. I've seen this one proposed, but damn, it's tough to balance. Of course, as RFT has shown, high-RoF items are infinitely more likely to have an issue with Tech Difficulties and Innocent Bystanders over time.
5: Non-AB wielders can use TW item. I am REALLY reluctant, here. We've got Enchanted Items now, which should be capable of covering this need.
6: Lower Min Strength. I like this as a Minor Mod (separate from weight-reduction).
7: Poison Attack, using the Poison rules from the core rules. This is extremely potent, and needs to be priced appropriately. (I think the racial poison ability from the TLPG is a good guidleline for a Minor Mod, probably at +1 PPt.)

This thread is meant to be kind of a wish-list/brainstorming session, so feel free to add your own ideas. Then folks who want to can write up solid proposals for the HRP forum, once we have a Template for them. Those should be discussed one at a time, like most rules proposals, since we'll want to vote individually.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Mods Workshop

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

A pretty good idea to inspire crafters of super tech, techno wizardry, and magic items. As a general note, I am a hige fan of a custom major or minor mod, I feel they help breathe life into the identity of the item and make it special. Also don't forget complications, they can be just as fun as the items abilities. This might just be me, but I get a lot of info about the appropriate mods and complications an item should have from a short backstory. Nothing breaks my heart more than just to see a stat block with no story as how or why or the reason the item exists. While perhaps not an illegal way to go, I do think it does violate the spirit of our pbp site to submit something without a couple of sentences for flavor. I'll do my best to keep the below list updated with any cool custom minor and major mods, as well as link the item so folks that are interested in what is possible can draw on it for further inspiration. A big thanks to the illusterious Freemage for helping so many items see the light of day, and putting on this work shop. There is a small group of GMs and players on this site, you know who you are that consistanty work with the OPs on making items balanced and the best they can be. Thank you for your great advice. Keep on rocking it guys.

TW Hex gun
  • MAJOR: "Bullet With Your Name on It" or the "Curved Shot": Shots fired from Justine allow the shooter to ignore 2 points of Cover and Armor. The bullet ricochets or simply travels “around” the obstacle, seeking out weakness in armor and strikes with an impossible accuracy.
  • Trapping Ghost Bullet(minor): Inflicts nonlethal damage.
  • Trapping Loaded for Bear(minor): +1 damage or on a raise (Shooting Skill) this Trapping adds +1 die type to the weapon’s damage.
Growler's Bow
  • Endless shots(major). My note: I would hazard a guess this might only be appropriate for magic non tw items, or super tech where it could be plugged into a long lasting power core. TW items have a pretty good mechanic to follow for refilling the battery.
Protype A.I framework for a vehicle]
  • Pretty much the item that sparked super tech, and also it gives some good guidance on how to appropriately add cybernetics without havIng to nessesarily worry about strain. Tribe aptly gave the item enough of a hindrence, only works while driving ghe vehicle, to balance it out. Interested in the full write up? Check out the link. I'll put just a bit below.
  • +Core Electronics Package(Major) (+4 to Common Knowledge checks)
  • +Subject Matter Expert Port(Major) (Slots for up to 3 chips boosting Smarts-linked skills, as cybernetic system)
    Complication: The fact that's he's a psionics user getting some minor cybernetics without Strain is offset by halving the bonuses when he's separated from his car. As a Technological Item, it is subject to hacking and Technical Difficulties.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Removed
Major Mod: Make RoF variable up to maximum RoF. Primarily for Rail Guns but can be used for any weapon with a fixed RoF. Allows the user to fire a weapon at less than the full RoF. For example, if a weapon has a RoF of 4 the user can choose to fire 1, 2, 3 or 4 shots. Normal recoil rules for the weapon still apply. To track ammo expenditure for rail guns multiple the ammo capacity by RoF and each shot consumes one round. Cost: 20,000 credits.
Minor Mod: Add Semi-Auto capability to weapons that currently lack it. Cost: 5,000 credits

Major Mod: Add 3 Round Burst capability to weapons that currently lack it. Weapons must have RoF greater than 1 to receive this modification. Cost: 10,000 credits
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Sparky wrote:Major Mod: Make RoF variable up to maximum RoF. Primarily for Rail Guns but can be used for any weapon with a fixed RoF. Allows the user to fire a weapon at less than the full RoF. For example, if a weapon has a RoF of 4 the user can choose to fire 1, 2, 3 or 4 shots. Normal recoil rules for the weapon still apply. To track ammo expenditure for rail guns multiple the ammo capacity by RoF and each shot consumes one round. Cost: 20,000 credits.

Minor Mod: Add Semi-Auto capability to weapons that currently lack it. Cost: 5,000 credits

Major Mod: Add 3 Round Burst capability to weapons that currently lack it. Weapons must have RoF greater than 1 to receive this modification. Cost: 10,000 credits
Hey Sparky, just on the major mod. Auto-fire weapons including the rail gun already have the ability to not have to fire up to the full rate of fire. Using the rail gun as an example. It can fire rate of fire 1 if so desired, the rail guns special note is that even at rate of fire 1 it still is an autofire attack.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Power Armor/Robot Armor Upgrades

Major Mod: +1 die type Strength. Cost: Power Armor: 100,000 * (Str modifier + 1) credits, Robot Armor: 100,000 * (Str modifier + 1) credits. For example to go from d12+1 to d12+2 = (2+1) * 50,000 = 150,000 for Power Armor and (300,000) for Robot Armor. Too Expensive?

Major Mod: Add targeting system. Functions as the Targeting Eye cybernetic system. Does NOT stack if the operator also has the Targeting Eye cybernetic system. May only be taken once. Power Armor Only. Cost: 25,000 credits.

Minor Mod: Add integrated personal weapon system. Allows for a personal ranged or melee weapon to be integrated into the armor. Example: Arm mounted vibro-sword or ion blaster rifle. Cost: 5,000 credits + cost of weapon.

Minor Mod: Make integrated weapon system retractable. Allows integrated personal weapon system to be retractable into the armor itself. Cost: 5,000 credits.
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Sparky wrote:Major Mod: Make RoF variable up to maximum RoF. Primarily for Rail Guns but can be used for any weapon with a fixed RoF. Allows the user to fire a weapon at less than the full RoF. For example, if a weapon has a RoF of 4 the user can choose to fire 1, 2, 3 or 4 shots. Normal recoil rules for the weapon still apply. To track ammo expenditure for rail guns multiple the ammo capacity by RoF and each shot consumes one round. Cost: 20,000 credits.

Hey Sparky, just on the major mod. Auto-fire weapons including the rail gun already have the ability to not have to fire up to the full rate of fire. Using the rail gun as an example. It can fire rate of fire 1 if so desired, the rail guns special note is that even at rate of fire 1 it still is an autofire attack.
I was going to say otherwise based on this from page 91 of the TLPG:
RAIL GUNS
Resembling giant machine guns with huge belt feeds or massive drums of ammo, rail guns are iconic for most heavily armed warriors, as well as many vehicles. Using electromagnetic mass- driving technology, rail guns hurl hundreds—sometimes thousands—of flechette-style rounds at hypersonic speeds.

All Rail Guns fire only in full-auto but list Shots in terms of (massive) bursts, rather than individual rounds, so shots are not multiplied by ROF to determine how many are used. Drum feeds add +1 to the Mods requirement, but triple the Shots rating.
But an answer I just looked up from Clint indicates you are correct. I figured based on the wording in the rules that rail guns always fired their max rate since it uses one "round" of ammo. His answer is still a little confusing since he mentions ammo conservation and that wouldn't affect rail guns unless you are into fractions. At least that is how I understand it. Anyway, I'll edit that one out since it is redundant. ;)

Edited for clarity.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Sparky wrote:Power Armor/Robot Armor Upgrades

Major Mod: +1 die type Strength. Cost: Power Armor: 100,000 * (Str modifier + 1) credits, Robot Armor: 100,000 * (Str modifier + 1) credits. For example to go from d12+1 to d12+2 = (2+1) * 50,000 = 150,000 for Power Armor and (300,000) for Robot Armor. Too Expensive?
I don't see any reason this would be more than the normal Trait boost cost (5K for two Minors, and after that you can layer on die-types for the same effect, up to 4 more at 10K each). A Dragon or Crazy with d12 Strength doesn't pay a premium on TW gear that raises their Strength past that level. Theoretically, a Cyborg could get a Super-Tech version of their muscle implants, getting a similar boost, as well.

Major Mod: Add targeting system. Functions as the Targeting Eye cybernetic system. Does NOT stack if the operator also has the Targeting Eye cybernetic system. May only be taken once. Power Armor Only. Cost: 25,000 credits.
Hrm... So a +2 to Shooting? That's two Minor Mods, described appropriately. I don't see a need for a separate option. (If anything, you could also do +4 die-types to Shooting on top of that, which would give a pilot with a d6 Shooting a d12+3 net.)

Minor Mod: Add integrated personal weapon system. Allows for a personal ranged or melee weapon to be integrated into the armor. Example: Arm mounted vibro-sword or ion blaster rifle. Cost: 5,000 credits + cost of weapon.

Minor Mod: Make integrated weapon system retractable. Allows integrated personal weapon system to be retractable into the armor itself. Cost: 5,000 credits.
I think these are okay--not sure how many folks would bother with a ranged personal weapon, but a sword could be very useful.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Freemage wrote:
Sparky wrote:Power Armor/Robot Armor Upgrades

I don't see any reason this would be more than the normal Trait boost cost (5K for two Minors, and after that you can layer on die-types for the same effect, up to 4 more at 10K each). A Dragon or Crazy with d12 Strength doesn't pay a premium on TW gear that raises their Strength past that level. Theoretically, a Cyborg could get a Super-Tech version of their muscle implants, getting a similar boost, as well.
My primary motivation for the cost is that Cyborgs are inherently upgradable but power armor and robot armor aren't. But I was just spitballing costs. If costing them the same as cybernetic counterparts works I don't have a problem with it.
Hrm... So a +2 to Shooting? That's two Minor Mods, described appropriately. I don't see a need for a separate option. (If anything, you could also do +4 die-types to Shooting on top of that, which would give a pilot with a d6 Shooting a d12+3 net.)
+1 Shooting would generally apply to a weapon as I understand it rather than to PA. Also a targeting system using the same mechanics as the Targeting Eye cybernetics works with any weapon system the user picks up as long as he spends a round calibrating it. IMO that is superior to +2 shooting on a single gun. Though there are some PA suits with integrated systems such as the Flying Titan which could benefit but so far I haven't seen much discussion on how upgrades to power armor should work so I may be mistaken in some of my assumptions.

I think these are okay--not sure how many folks would bother with a ranged personal weapon, but a sword could be very useful.
:D

Return to “Out of Character Topics”