EP For Character Respecifications

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.

Good or Bad Idea

Poll ended at Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Great Idea
64%
Terrible Idea
14%
Apples are great in pies
21%

Total votes: 14

Ndreare
Savage Siri

EP For Character Respecifications

Post by Ndreare »

I want a respec EP menu item and want to know what people think about it as I am ready to go begging for it.
Here is what I think a fair price is:

5 EP Per character Rank (The character must maintain the same concept as currently been in play, must still be a rules legal build built from 0 advances up and requires GM approval)

So what do people plink?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Freya Kay

Re: EP For Character Respecifications

Post by Freya Kay »

I think RFT price is sound.
Freya Kay -
Techno-Wizard
  • PPE (20): Used 8
  • Arcane Machinist (half Smarts - 6 session): Used 0
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d4 (+2 environment by armor)
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6 (+d6 running); Parry: 2; Toughness: 8 (4); Strain: 0; Max PPE: 20
Notice (Smarts) d8 (+2 to sight-based with TW Magic Optic System)
Adventure Deck Card:
Karma Thief: Take a benny from any other Wild Card (this may include other player characters).
Bennies: 4
Carlos
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Carlos »

It is not an unreasonable idea, but I am well aware that some players have a lot more EP than others, there should be some other limitation than just having EP involved, though the GM approval question matters.
Low Light Vision
Alertness - Additional Benefit: Senses Presence of Supernatural Creatures and Ley Line Storms
Danger Sense - Additional Benefit: May detect of food or drink is spoiled or poisoned
Beast Master - Additional Benefit: Monstrous Animals also like the character

Bennies 3/3
Wounds 0/3
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

I like this though it would be good to define just what limitations there are for this. For example, changing attributes allowed? What about HJ or F&G rolls? Any other guidelines?
Carlos wrote:It is not an unreasonable idea, but I am well aware that some players have a lot more EP than others, there should be some other limitation than just having EP involved, though the GM approval question matters.
This is true but what's the point of having EP if you don't have anything to spend it on? For newer players that have novice or seasoned characters 5 or 10 EP shouldn't be too insurmountable.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Some kind of GM approval needs to be in there. I don't have a problem with a player tweaking a character to undo a choice that turned out to be bad/out of concept/whatever, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with respecs that are purely to take advantage of some new power build, or tinkering out of of wishy-washiness, etc.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

I think it should be limited to parts of the character that for one reason or another just don't get used. Skills or edges that a character has used in game shouldn't be discarded unless there's a compelling argument for it.
Radecliffe

Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Tribe of One wrote:Some kind of GM approval needs to be in there. I don't have a problem with a player tweaking a character to undo a choice that turned out to be bad/out of concept/whatever, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with respecs that are purely to take advantage of some new power build, or tinkering out of of wishy-washiness, etc.
The requirement for GM approval is in there.
Along with it must be the same concept.

The idea is tweaking a character you made a bad choice on, not turning your Burster into a Mind Melter
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

there are just times when you realize you made a character with underwhelming overlap of another PC, so you refocus. Of you play for a while and decide hey this is how I envision him.

For example with Kidemonas I started off thinking Magic, but after playing for a while I realized I like playing him ignorant and naive as more of a brute than an arcane master. While at a home game you could just work it out with your GM a bit, on a board with 40 players that is less practical.

For clarity, the reason I am interested in this is because if approved I will Ask Coragon for permission to adjust Kidemonas. The EP system offers a reasonable balance to it, so it does not become a common tool of vague players.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I like the idea. I would limit it to the following:
  • Advances
  • Starting Edges from Hindrances
  • Skills that have never been used
The latter is important because you don't want someone front-loading their combat build, then nudging it down later when they will be able to just up it again, in order to get a few d4s.

(Say I start with Agility d8, and Fighting and Shooting d10--a moderate investment. Then I re-spec at Seasoned, taking Agility to d10, and putting Shooting and Fighting at d8s to start, but then advancing them to d10s with one of the remaining advances from the respec. I use the two points from starting into, say, Intimidation and Taunt at d4 each, and now you're halfway to qualifying for Strong-Willed.)
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

I would say maybe another limit is you're only able to do it at a level up, i.e. at the end of a quarter when you're gaining Advances, so we don't have multiple rebuilds a quarter. And maybe limit it to one change (without leaving hanging points, of course)? So if I decide my Taunt and Intimidate haven't been useful, for example, I could only drop Taunt this quarter, redistribute the points, and have to wait until next quarter to drop Intimidate.

This might effect pricing. Instead of 5 EP per rank, maybe just a flat 5 EP each change? Or less?
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

I like the idea of being allowed to rebuild.

I like the idea of limiting it to "on the quarter", though it may not be necessary.

Not so sure about Jude's "price per change" and limiting how many at one time. IMO, if you are going to rebuild the last thing you want is to be forced to play a half finished build for the next three months. And if you have/need more changes than can be done in two sets you are playing a crippled character for half a year.

Having said that I agree that 5/rank is a reasonable cost.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I like Jude's idea kind of. 5 per change seams reasonable.

If the thing frustrating me is points wasted on Persuasion, then paying five EP to swap that to stealth is reasonable.

As always with GM permission.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I like the once-per-Quarter rule. But I agree that making it a multi-step process is likely a very large frustration. Trying to rebuild to qualify for an Edge will be tricky enough with the 'no used skills can be lowered' rule, but with a requirement to do it one quarter at a time... not likely.

Oh, but I should've included one other bullet item in my list--you can change Attributes.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

How attractive the option will be will depend on what the price ends up being but making it one change per quarter would be a deal killer in my opinion. That's just way to harsh. I'm fine with making the cost on a per change basis though in that case I think 5 EP is too high.

Also, as a point of clarity I'd say that only skills that have never been used can be decreased or eliminated but you can still shift those points that you have used before.
Radecliffe

Skills

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

I think if you’re working with the GM you probably don’t have to worry too much about setting rules for which skills or attributes can be adjusted or when.

If I have a skill I have used but that has not been as fun for me as expected, I’d like to be able to change that. I think one price to reallocate everything (with GM approval) is simpler and more fun than a pay-per-change rule, even if that price needs to be a little higher in the end.
Hardin and Jane
Hardin a Half-Elf Psi-Slinger
Parry: 5
Toughness: 10(3)
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d12, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Charisma: -2 (Half-elves treated as outsiders)
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Jane a Bandito Arms Robot Mustang
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12
Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Pace: 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
Parry: 6
Toughness: 20(10) MDC
Notes/Special Features:
  • All-Terrain: +2 to Riding checks
  • Sensor Suite (+2 to Notice, power armor sensor package)
  • Kick does Strength + d6 Mega Damage
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Expanded Detection and Security Array (Danger Sense Edge and +2 to Notice)
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am trying to not loose it here. Deleted my first post actually. I voted no.
Anyone who voted yes ask yourself if this is a shared story experience where the goal is to have fun. If you are a GM or plan to ask yourself, why would I not let a player undo a choice that is negatively impacting their enjoyment.

Anyone in the vampire kingdoms or 13th you make a choice you don't like shoot me a pm so we can undo it or make it more relevant. Any player who wants the same but your GM is unwilling to work with you hit me up and I will have a side bar with the GM and champion your cause. Not to let a player change their mind unless they pay EP? Why?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Looking at it. It sounds like half the GMs think it can be handled between GM and player. Half the GM's think it is reasonable for an EP item.

Players like the idea in general (all player votes).

So that makes me wonder, do players generally feel comfortable bringing up character tweaks after the game starts?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:I am trying to not loose it here. Deleted my first post actually. I voted no.
Anyone who voted yes ask yourself if this is a shared story experience where the goal is to have fun. If you are a GM or plan to ask yourself, why would I not let a player undo a choice that is negatively impacting their enjoyment.

Anyone in the vampire kingdoms or 13th you make a choice you don't like shoot me a pm so we can undo it or make it more relevant. Any player who wants the same but your GM is unwilling to work with you hit me up and I will have a side bar with the GM and champion your cause. Not to let a player change their mind unless they pay EP? Why?
To be honest I voted yes because I thought it was the only option available and the idea was intriguing. Since then I've realized that other than tweaking a couple skill points for Radecliffe I really wouldn't need the option anyway. Certainly if the GM's want to have a policy where a player can tweak a character "for free" then I certainly see that is the best option available and I think most everyone would agree with that.

I would point out, however, that one isn't going to ask if they can go through a door if they don't know the door is there. One of the limitations of communicating solely by the written word is that in many cases context is lost so what may be blindingly obvious to person A may not even register with person B. Hopefully that makes sense.

In any case I'm sure we can all agree that pie is a superior dessert? 8-)
Radecliffe

Skills

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

RFT wrote:Looking at it. It sounds like half the GMs think it can be handled between GM and player. Half the GM's think it is reasonable for an EP item.

Players like the idea in general (all player votes).

So that makes me wonder, do players generally feel comfortable bringing up character tweaks after the game starts?
As a player, I have felt comfortable asking the GM to approve changes to trappings for powers I haven’t used yet (I did this with both Hardin and Rill within the first couple of posts), but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable asking to reallocate skill points, adjust attributes, or swap out edges. I haven’t had the need yet to do any of that, but I like knowing it’s an option.

I voted yes so there’d be some mechanic to adjust a character if needed, but if it can be done for free (within reason), I’d obviously prefer that.
Hardin and Jane
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Radecliffe wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:I am trying to not loose it here. Deleted my first post actually. I voted no.

To be honest I voted yes because I thought it was the only option available and the idea was intriguing. Since then I've realized that other than tweaking a couple skill points for Radecliffe I really wouldn't need the option anyway. Certainly if the GM's want to have a policy where a player can tweak a character "for free" then I certainly see that is the best option available and I think most everyone would agree with that.

I would point out, however, that one isn't going to ask if they can go through a door if they don't know the door is there. One of the limitations of communicating solely by the written word is that in many cases context is lost so what may be blindingly obvious to person A may not even register with person B. Hopefully that makes sense.

Assuming you mean key lime, yes.

And as with Radcliffe, my main reason for supporting it was making sure it was out there as an option. If we're going to assume everyone here is mature enough to handle tweaking a character without a formal system, then let's go for that.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Freemage wrote:
Radecliffe wrote:

Assuming you mean key lime, yes.

And as with Radcliffe, my main reason for supporting it was making sure it was out there as an option. If we're going to assume everyone here is mature enough to handle tweaking a character without a formal system, then let's go for that.
Maybe this could be added as an update to the character creation rules thread?
Last edited by Hardin on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Reasonable
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hello,

Been following but keeping quiet.

Given our rules on XP (you keep it all if you die or switch characters), only GM fiat stops you from rebuilding a new/same character with the changes you want.

Therefore, it's only reasonable that players and GMs can work this stuff out together. My advice to GMs would be: favour the player. My advice to players would be: don't be min maxing ass hats.

All that being said: Freemage can I change the glowing eyes trapping on Herra's puppet power :D

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

Return to “Out of Character Topics”