Magic Items Discussion

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Magic Items Discussion

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Question: are the available poers flr enchanted items thr same as a TW item or do "enchanters" have a different spell list.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Magic Items (Non TW Weapons, Armor, Objects)

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Question: are the available poers flr enchanted items thr same as a TW item or do "enchanters" have a different spell list.
I think a power list needs to be had. But the list has to be different.
Powers like Growth, Puppet, and Summon Ally are common to enchanted items. But not allowed for TW.

Anyone have an idea of powers an enchanted item cannot do?

Perhaps set it per the nature. Holy items use the Mystic List, Magic Items use the LLW list?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I'd leave it open to any power, as long as there's a justification.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Tribe of One wrote:I'd leave it open to any power, as long as there's a justification.
This is also my opinion.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Yeah. I'm still twitchy about allowing Mega-Powers to folks without the AB, but I know I'm getting outvoted there. But I'm fine with a 'power is determined by the backstory' for Enchanted Items. If we approve an Artificer IF that can build magic items, of course, they'd be limited to whatever their Power-list is, just like a TW would be.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

As the one making that AB and the rules to support it, I agree totally Freemage. Players do not get the cool that Signature Items get. One is EP/Patreon - the other a matter of in-character time, skill and luck.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Totally get he twitchy feeling of giving mega powers to those with no ab. Go get yourself an ab and master of magic you damn muggles. :lol: Other than declaring it an appropriate major upgrade there is no other way. After thinking about it, I do think it is beyond the scope of a major upgrade to give the power access to the mega power expansion. There is already a way to do it. The way to do it is master of magic, but then of course with no ab it would not work... Well tough luck. :D Sometimes that is just how it goes.
Not suggesting a change by any means, but I do want to support Freemage here. I know exactly how it feels to be a lone voice. Oh and incase if anyone is wondering if this messes up any existing items. I just spent 15 min looking at the approved items. It does not appear any one has done this mega option.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I don't really see why this is a problem. The ability to add master of magic as a major upgrade is already precedented and validated by Clint. So he's saying instead of a Master of Magic and getting every major power with items he has the item gives him Master of Magic with only that one power consider it just at trapping on the master of magic Edge.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I really don't understand this attitude that the best and most powerful gear should be reserved for casters, who already have access to various tricks (Puppet, four spells a round with Quickness, Shapeshifting and summoning, infinite power on ley lines) that put a juicer in power armor to shame. It's the biggest flaw of the PEG conversion, in my mind, and a total reversal from Palladium Rifts, where actual spellcasting (TW especially) was pretty lame and all the best and coolest gear was either tech or magic usable by anyone (hey there rune weapons). I get that the writers are AB fetishists, but that doesn't mean we have to make it worse by limiting access to items (tech and permanent enchantments) that per the source material should be superior to the TW toys, anyway. In the absence of discrete systems for weapon mods or rune magic, we're stuck adaptng the TW system, and I simply see no justification -- fluff- or power-based -- for not granting access to the full range of options.

/rant
GM Bennies: 7/7
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I think you guys missed all my points. Did you not see the smily faces?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

Not sure if I have a voice here or not, but I don't think that an item should grant a Master edge. Spellcaster picks it up, and suddenly they have a gazillion extra spells, plus the other benefits of the edge. I do think, however, that an item could grant a distinct power and its mega power, if paid for appropriately (per the rules) by a Major Upgrade. For my part, I don't want Jude to be a Master of Magic. He isn't a magic character, and I don't intend to grab an AB. But the power made sense with his skill set, and the rules specifically allowed to add a mega power. Master of Magic would be wasted. In fact, the item would be more valuable to pass off to some AB caster on the team that didn't have Master than for Jude to keep it if you put the Edge on it.

I guess I just don't understand why Mega MUST be limited. There is a pretty big limit on enchanted items anyway with the 2 major upgrade limit anyway.
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Jude Maverick wrote:Not sure if I have a voice here or not, but I don't think that an item should grant a Master edge. Spellcaster picks it up, and suddenly they have a gazillion extra spells, plus the other benefits of the edge. I do think, however, that an item could grant a distinct power and its mega power, if paid for appropriately (per the rules) by a Major Upgrade. For my part, I don't want Jude to be a Master of Magic. He isn't a magic character, and I don't intend to grab an AB. But the power made sense with his skill set, and the rules specifically allowed to add a mega power. Master of Magic would be wasted. In fact, the item would be more valuable to pass off to some AB caster on the team that didn't have Master than for Jude to keep it if you put the Edge on it.

I guess I just don't understand why Mega MUST be limited. There is a pretty big limit on enchanted items anyway with the 2 major upgrade limit anyway.
I don't think a TW item could give a character master of magic edge for him to use with spells he knows. The edges are uses with the item itself. Like you cannot make a sword with sweep, and all of a sudden sweep with a different sword. It is that specific sword that sweeps. So master of magic would only grant mega powers for that item.

By the way I am absolutely fine with the mega option, and echanted items as VV and now I think patrick have posted them. I 100% like Jude's item.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

The caveat I put into the rules a PC would use I think would apply here: If an item includes both a power and the Master of Magic edge, then the user may use both the normal and mega version of that power. Note this would not allow the general use of the Master of Magic ability outside the confines of the enchanted item.

I actually added it because of the discussion here
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote:The caveat I put into the rules a PC would use I think would apply here: If an item includes both a power and the Master of Magic edge, then the user may use both the normal and mega version of that power. Note this would not allow the general use of the Master of Magic ability outside the confines of the enchanted item.
I wonder if SR needs an edge like we did for Temporal Magic. Something called "Mega Power" that lets a caster access the Mega Version of one power.

Why do this instead of Master of Magic (or Master Psionic) since they both cost an edge?
  • Lower eligibility requirements.
    Fits certain concepts better
    Solves the TW/Magic item access to Mega powers question
Yes, master of Magic (or Master Psionic) is way better but requires a big investment of skills and edges to get there for the sake of maybe one or two powers necessary to build a cool concept.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Master Power (Power Edge)
Prerequisites: Arcane Background Edge, Novice
Select one Power you know; you can cast that Power as the Mega-Version as well as the regular version.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I could see that working well for some Core Super Power based concepts too.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

High Command wrote:I could see that working well for some Core Super Power based concepts too.
That was actually what I had in mind when I wrote it up--since that's going to be the primary example of someone with just one Power who wants to be able to pull off the Mega version.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

I like that edge, yeah. No reason some items need the bells and whistles of a full Master edge if they just want one power mega'd out.
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

You should copy threat to the House rules section.

I would approve it.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Tales of the 17th SOG

Return to “Out of Character Topics”