Were-Creatures Confuse Me. Little Help?

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Pursuit
Game Master

Were-Creatures Confuse Me. Little Help?

Post by Pursuit »

Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Okay, so my confusion primarily stems from the "use powers and trappings to mimic the hybrid form" bit. How would that work, exactly?

Let's say we come across a combat situation and I want to go from human into "hybrid form" in order to fight. What do I do? Activate a power, and say that's the character transforming? Does she get the benefit of armor while in her "hybrid form?" Does she get the benefits of her pre-selected animal form while in hybrid form? How does this all work?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Tiberius

Re: Were-Creatures Confuse Me. Little Help?

Post by Tiberius »

I believe the point is that by default a were creature does not have a hybrid form. One example to get a hybrid form would be to use the ARES rules to create one. That's what the Beast Mode portion of ARES was designed for I think. An alternative would be to reskin an IF to create a hybrid form (the Cyber Knight IF for example.) There is no reason you HAVE to have a hybrid form, however. You could just be a were that is also a Cyber Knight.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Bennies: 3 of 3
1 golden bennie

Tiberius

Player: James

Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 6 Run Die: d6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 6(2)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Pursuit wrote:Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Okay, so my confusion primarily stems from the "use powers and trappings to mimic the hybrid form" bit. How would that work, exactly?

Let's say we come across a combat situation and I want to go from human into "hybrid form" in order to fight. What do I do? Activate a power, and say that's the character transforming? Does she get the benefit of armor while in her "hybrid form?" Does she get the benefits of her pre-selected animal form while in hybrid form? How does this all work?
Lets see... Do you have the all thumbs hindrence? Do you have the non-standard physiology hindrance? Do you have a habit that requires you to return to some base form?

But really does it matter?? Want to have a cheeta form? Take fleetfooted, and anytime you use that bigger run die type maybe you momentarily transform into a cheeta. Want to have a natural attack? Pick up martial arts. When you use martial arts you are clawing at someone.

Want to be super stealthy in your cheeta form in the woods?? Take the woodsman edge
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tiberius wrote:I believe the point is that by default a were creature does not have a hybrid form. One example to get a hybrid form would be to use the ARES rules to create one. That's what the Beast Mode portion of ARES was designed for I think. An alternative would be to reskin an IF to create a hybrid form (the Cyber Knight IF for example.) There is no reason you HAVE to have a hybrid form, however. You could just be a were that is also a Cyber Knight.
I know I don't have to have a hybrid form, but I want one. It's the following language that confuses me:
High Command wrote:Were-Creature

Some of the iconic abilities of were-creatures, namely the hybrid form and certain damage resistances, are notably missing from this race. Those are best designed via the powers chosen. This could be accomplished with a slightly retrapped Crazy or Cyber-Knight, the ARES or MARS frameworks, or even a Mind Melter. Just remember, Trappings are the key!
So, how does one use trappings and frameworks to create a hybrid form? What are the mechanics of it?

Also, awesome avatar.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Pursuit wrote:Okay, I had an idea for a Cyber-Knight character concept with a were-creature race (I was thinking jaguar, but that is neither here nor there) and I'm a little unclear on how the mechanics of the were-creature work. For reference, the site's conversion for the were-creature is here: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=660

Lets see... Do you have the all thumbs hindrence? Do you have the non-standard physiology hindrance? Do you have a habit that requires you to return to some base form?

But really does it matter?? Want to have a cheeta form? Take fleetfooted, and anytime you use that bigger run die type maybe you momentarily transform into a cheeta. Want to have a natural attack? Pick up martial arts. When you use martial arts you are clawing at someone.

Want to be super stealthy in your cheeta form in the woods?? Take the woodsman edge
All fine insofar as it goes. But I'm still butting up against a mental block, here. I don't get how the mechanics are intended to work. Maybe I'm thinking about it too hard (or not hard enough), or maybe I'm looking for a bright line rule that isn't there and this is all just squishier than I think.

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pursuit,

Do you want the IF to be reskinned as "beast mode" ?

So, take were-whatever race then when transformed you gain all (or some of) the IF abilities?

For example, cyberknight. Beast mode activates cyber armor, psi-sword, first into battle, etc?

If so, it's pretty simple just requires rewriting the descriptive text.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Pursuit,

Do you want the IF to be reskinned as "beast mode" ?

So, take were-whatever race then when transformed you gain all (or some of) the IF abilities?

For example, cyberknight. Beast mode activates cyber armor, psi-sword, first into battle, etc?

If so, it's pretty simple just requires rewriting the descriptive text.

VV
I guess so. That’s what’s intended by this, then?

Some of the iconic abilities of were-creatures, namely the hybrid form and certain damage resistances, are notably missing from this race. Those are best designed via the powers chosen. This could be accomplished with a slightly retrapped Crazy or Cyber-Knight, the ARES or MARS frameworks, or even a Mind Melter. Just remember, Trappings are the key!

Beacon

Post by Beacon »

I don't know if the website would allow it, but check out the race from Accursed called the Vargr. It is basically a were wolf character that transforms. The curse acceptance mechanic also does a good job of replicating a full power were wolf.

Salcor
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pursuit wrote:I guess so. That’s what’s intended by this, then?

Yes, that is the intention. As mentioned in the race: Just remember, Trappings are the key!
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.

Return to “Out of Character Topics”