Savage Nightbane - By Rob Towell

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Savage Nightbane - By Rob Towell

Post by Ndreare »

Savage Nightbane By Rob Towell
Hello everyone. I plan to run a Nightbane Play by Post game starting in the middle of July. The campaign will feature players in a world filled with supernatural horror years after a secret invasion of ancient godlike sorcerers have invaded and taken over the world without mankind in general knowing.
For background details I suggest reading Nightbane The Role-Playing game by Palladium Books (link bellow). The original book will be considered canonical for this game. If playing any of the supernatural beings your character may be completely ignorant of the supernatural world.
The planned scope of this game will be semi-sandbox in the following two senses.
  1. Your characters will be expected to actively be fighting against the forces of the ba’al and their minions.
  2. You will be expected to make characters motivated to fight the ba’al.
  3. All characters must be genre appropriate for the horror themed game.
I plan to take heavy advantage of the work already done in the Savage Worlds Horror Companion. It will help you to have access to these books.

Content Warning: This game will be run with a very dark PG13 it will be filled with many horror and adult themes. Sometimes people go a little to far in horror games so before it starts I am laying down two ground rules.
I am not interested in GMing or reading and will still be forbidden content.
  • There will be no on scene sexual victimization.
  • Racial slurs while in character for some will not be tolerated

Resources: The following resources will be heavily used and referenced. I will not be copy and pasting a bunch of copyrighted materials. Instead the player can be expected to review any needed reference material in the Nightbane RPG.
Nightbane Role Playing Game
Savage Worlds Horror Companion
Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion 2

The following will be used a little by the GM for some guidelines on potential idea mining, but will require a case by case request.
Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion

Pacing & Expectations: This game may go a little slower than the normal one Game Master post per week based on the GM post being reactionary as opposed to directed. While I normally try to time my GM posts for the weekends (normally Friday/Saturday).

Joining and participating in the Hangout will be a requirement for this game.

Design Considerations: I made no effort to maintain the mechanical nature of constructions in the source game. Instead I chose to convert the concepts of the Nightbane in a reasonably close way. I had some key considerations when doing this. I did not use the version on Google+ because I am not going for the level of power presented there. Instead i am targeting characters closer to the Heroic level. I am open to criticism on improvements, but franking do not plan to read or consider blanket ‘This I all wrong, do it my way’ views as I plan on the game to start in only a few weeks.

Faction Edges and Setting Rules
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Savage Nightbane - By Rob Towell

Post by Ndreare »

• 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades