View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Out of Character Chat (2017.08.12 through 2017.09.31) 
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Anything out of character or general conversation goes here. I will create a new one every quarter to make management and searching easier.

Please subscribe to this forum for updates to stay informed.

-1 For SAMAS to Soak Shot from L.C.
    -1 For SAMAS to Soak Shot from L.C. to wing while fleeing

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Character sheets cleaned up and removed unneeded post from character reviews.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

I want a Pistol for McVey's Signature weapon. As for what it does?

Bennies 4/4
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense (Notice Check -2 to perceive danger)
  • Quick (Re-draw cards under 5)
  • Ambidextrous (No off hand penalties.)
  • Two-Fisted (Make two attack rolls w/o multi-attack penalties.)

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Baron McVey wrote:

How about as you are not a powered character and cannot use TW items.
We make it a very high quality pistol with excellent furniture, some nice accessories and a bag with some exchangeable accessories such as alternate barrel and a couple of scopes.

Do you want physical rounds or energy clips, also do you want revolver style or magazine style?

For actually making the firearm mechanically, another option would be it could be an ancient weapon that has been "enchanted" by the psychic imprint of hundreds of years of being used in war and killing.

The enchanted items rules allows 2 major and 2 minor, but they have the benefit of it can be used by your character.

So let me know once you have an idea in mind.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

How will mundane (i.e., non-magical) upgrades be handled in-game? I know every GM has his or her own preferences on this, so I thought it worth asking before we get going. For instance, if my character wanted to improve his non-TW rifle (say, by replacing the barrel with one of a higher quality, or something of the like) to get a bonus to his Shooting, how would that work? I know that a lot of potential upgrades are covered by the Hero's Journey tables, and that you can always take the Rich Edge to get a couple of rolls on those tables. If I wanted to boost his gear without spending an Advance, how would we do that mechanically? Would you just set prices for the upgrades and we could buy them just like we would buy anything else (assuming they are available in whatever part of the country the team happens to be in, of course)?

Toughness: 13(5)
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Strong-Willed, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Riding d6 + 2, Notice d8, Psionics d10, Survival d6, Intimidate d6 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Current Ongoing Effects: None
ISP: 4/30 (regenerate 1/30 min)
Charisma: -2 (Half-elves treated as outsiders)
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards: redraw 5 or below
Bennies: 4/3
    +1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Interlude in scene 5
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
    -1 for Extra Effort in scene 6
    -1 for more Extra Effort in scene 6
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present), Piecemeal CA-7 armor (possession is a “shoot-on-sight” crime with any Coalition troops), Shard Pistol (returns to his hand as a free action and lower Trait (Vigor) activated by Shooting), “Judgment Day” rifle with attached scope (stats of a Wilk’s 457 pulse rifle), TK Revolver, Colt Dragoon .44 Revolver with silver bullets
Robot Horse: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12
  • Fighting d8, Notice d8 + 2, Survival d6
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • All-Terrain: +2 to Riding checks
  • Sensor Suite (+2 to Notice, power armor sensor package)
  • Kick does Strength + d6 Mega Damage
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
  • Folk Hero - Play after you save a group of people from dire circumstances. The community adopts you and your party as local heroes, and you can always find aid there.
  • Rabbit Out of My Hat - Play this card to gain +2 on any Trick test until the end of the scene.
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Hardin wrote:
How will mundane (i.e., non-magical) upgrades be handled in-game? I know every GM has his or her own preferences on this, so I thought it worth asking before we get going. For instance, if my character wanted to improve his non-TW rifle (say, by replacing the barrel with one of a higher quality, or something of the like) to get a bonus to his Shooting, how would that work? I know that a lot of potential upgrades are covered by the Hero's Journey tables, and that you can always take the Rich Edge to get a couple of rolls on those tables. If I wanted to boost his gear without spending an Advance, how would we do that mechanically? Would you just set prices for the upgrades and we could buy them just like we would buy anything else (assuming they are available in whatever part of the country the team happens to be in, of course)?

Modifying a TW weapon by anyone other than a TW will destroy it. Quite simply there is some crazy magic going on that makes no sense what so ever.

I will have to run it my the other GM's first. But what I am thinking is for mundane or high quality modifications I can see those following a little common sense an adding the equivalent of up to two minor modifications. With the caveat that just like in real life the more tuned a weapon is the more sensitive it becomes to damage, jarring and the battle field, each modification would then be -1 to maintenance rolls and +1 to TD rolls to represent that mechanically.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Seems reasonable. Thanks!

Notable Edges/Hindrances: Strong-Willed, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Riding d6 + 2, Notice d8, Psionics d10, Survival d6, Intimidate d6 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
    +1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present), Piecemeal CA-7 armor (possession is a “shoot-on-sight” crime with any Coalition troops), Shard Pistol (returns to his hand as a free action and lower Trait (Vigor) activated by Shooting), “Judgment Day” rifle with attached scope (stats of a Wilk’s 457 pulse rifle), TK Revolver, Colt Dragoon .44 Revolver with silver bullets
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
  • Folk Hero - Play after you save a group of people from dire circumstances. The community adopts you and your party as local heroes, and you can always find aid there.
  • Rabbit Out of My Hat - Play this card to gain +2 on any Trick test until the end of the scene.
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

RFT wrote:
Baron McVey wrote:

How about as you are not a powered character and cannot use TW items.
We make it a very high quality pistol with excellent furniture, some nice accessories and a bag with some exchangeable accessories such as alternate barrel and a couple of scopes.

Do you want physical rounds or energy clips, also do you want revolver style or magazine style?

For actually making the firearm mechanically, another option would be it could be an ancient weapon that has been "enchanted" by the psychic imprint of hundreds of years of being used in war and killing.

The enchanted items rules allows 2 major and 2 minor, but they have the benefit of it can be used by your character.

So let me know once you have an idea in mind.

Let's go purely mechanical. Physical rounds in a magazine style.

Bennies 4/4
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense (Notice Check -2 to perceive danger)
  • Quick (Re-draw cards under 5)
  • Ambidextrous (No off hand penalties.)
  • Two-Fisted (Make two attack rolls w/o multi-attack penalties.)

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

I had left the identity of the Cyberknight in my background up to you RFT. So who are they and do they have any relationship with the CKs in our band?

I need to figure this out for the interlude I think.

Combat Edges:Rock and Roll
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
Bennie: 4
    +1 GM Reward

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

If he is willing to work with you I think it would be really cool if you and Sir William came up with a name for his Mentor.

If the two of you could thread your interludes together in a way that shows each of your own perspective to the events I will award an additional bennie for the awesomeness of it.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I am game for that! That is ,if Sir Willy is okay with having the 500 kg equivalent of annoying little cousin? He can just come up with his mentor and give me details.

I did figure out how to do my opening dramatic interlude without much detail of the Mentor CK.
That way I am not writing history for any character other than my own.

Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
    +1 GM Reward

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 pm
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

LC is ready for Review. I'll rewrite his background at some point, but I kinda want to be done for now :D

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

High Command wrote:
LC is ready for Review. I'll rewrite his background at some point, but I kinda want to be done for now :D

Looks good to me.

Once the Techno Wizard is complete, we can finish getting set up.

Does anyone else have any questions that have been missed or left unaddressed?

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Just want to confirm that I have my character build correct for Telekinetic Pistolero, given the following: http://savagerifts.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1012

Does this mean that I need Two-Fisted to make it work? Or that I don't need the Edge at all, but should take Two-Fisted instead (and Two-Fisted will work with the telekinesis power because I'm a Psi-Slinger)? I'm happy to do either (frankly, the latter sounds even cooler than my proposal), but just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

+1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:51 pm
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Yeah, looks like Two Fisted is all you need. I need to update the package and edge in House Rules

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 pm
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Cool! I'll adjust my character sheet accordingly.

+1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

For clarification, if I had a pistol in each hand and another gun held by telekinesis, and if I had the Ambidextrous Edge, Two-Fisted would allow me to fire all three without a multi-action penalty, correct?

Edit: I posted the above in the middle of the night while I was up with a grumpy toddler, so I plead half-awake. I'm not sure why I throught this made so much sense when I posted it, but now that I'm a rational, thinking human being, I assume Two-Fisted will just take care of 2 points of multi-action penalty (not 4, which would have been the scenario above).

+1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

your correction is correct

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

For this unit we will need a command structure (I know the horrors!). The following is what I propose based on your backstories and your character experience. (The term seasoned is a reference to your backstory not the characters Game Mechanic rank.)

My Assumptions Based on Page 83 of Savage Rifts Game Masters Handbook
    Sergeant - Michael Powell (seasoned vet with 8 years in the field)
    Corporal - Lawrence Charles (seasoned commando)
    Corporal - Baron McVey (seasoned veteran and survivor)
    Specialist 1st - Erin Sol (while experienced in life, she is new to the Legion)
    Specialist 1st - Hardin - (seasoned, but with psych concerns that prevent from being given leadership)
    Specialist 1st - Sephia (seasoned with some field experience)
    Specialist 2nd - Sir William Mahan (Newly minted)
    Specialist 2nd - Nomed Dercas (this is literally your first mission, you have finished your training and are ready for the field)
    Specialist 2nd - Billy Borg (moral concerns being raised in the Castle about Billy being on missions)

I need you guys to look and tell me if you agree or disagree.

You where sent with a sergeant, but he is destined to be KIA in the opening scene so we will need to know which Corporal is senior so he can take over.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 pm
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Looks good to me.

+1 for Q3 post rate
    +1 for Joker in scene 6
  • Pace 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
  • Parry 6
  • Toughness 20(10) MDC
  • Size +2
Adventure Cards:
[/list]
Character Sheet
Signature

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Fits my backstory, I'm in.

Parry: 7; Toughness: In Armor 14(6) or in vehicle 17(8); Pace: 16(d10); Burn: 10(d10)
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/2
Adventure Cards: We Have The Talent - You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.(54)
Bennies: 3
+3 New Quarter
+2 Field Report
+1 Joker (06 An Unwanted Encounter)
-1 Extra Effort Agility Test (06 An Unwanted Encounter)
-2 Reroll Damage (06 An Unwanted Encounter)

Attributes
Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d10, Vigor d10

Skills
Shooting d10, Fighting d8, *Notice d6, Stealth d6, *Tracking d8, *Survival d8, Persuasion d6, Piloting d4, Throwing d6, *Streetwise d8, *Forgery (Common Knowledge) d6+2

Active Effects
+2 on all ranged attacks
-2 to be hit as long as Nomed is aware of the attack**
+2 to Tracking, Stealth and Survival in the wilderness
Nomed requires only half the normal amount of sleep and has +2 to resist fatigue
-1 to all Smarts and Smarts-linked skill rolls(*) in non-combat/low stress situations
On the first round of combat Nomed does not receive the benefit from Uncanny Reflexes** or Quick**
+2 to Survival rolls related to land navigation
+1 to Survival checks where food gathering is concerned
+1 to Healing checks

Combat Edges
Split the Seconds: Grants an extra action each round.
Dirty Fighter: +2 with all Trick Manuvers
Quick: Whenever Nomed is dealt a 5 or less in combat he may discard and draw again until he gets a card higher than 5.**

Primary Weapon
JA-11 Energy Rifle
  • Range 30/60/120
  • Damage 3d6
  • RoF: 1
  • AP: 4
  • Shots: 60
  • Weight: 7
  • Notes: As an action, switch to fire an ion beam (use stats for NG-57) or have laser do Mega Damage (uses 10 ammo per shot and applies Snapfire penalty) Integrated scope offsets two points of Range and/or Darkness penalties. Advanced technology makes this weapon extra effective against armor, giving it +2 AP.)
    Ion Beam
    • Range: 12/24/48
    • Damage: 1-3d6+1
    • RoF: 1
    • AP: 2
    • Notes: Ion weapons grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long.
  • Long E-Clips: 2

Notable Equipment
  • Grenades(assorted)
  • Silvered Vibro-Sword
  • Wooden Stakes
  • NG-S2 Survival Pack
  • Infrared Distancing Binoculars
  • Translator
  • Internal Repair System
  • NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Looks reasonable to me, yeah.

ISP: 10/20 | Bennies: 2
Wounds: 0
  • Boost Trait (self only): Increase any trait by 1 die type. 2 on raise.
  • Deflection (self only): -2 to be hit by Ranged and Melee. -4 on raise.
  • Healing: Remove 1 wound. 2 on raise.
  • Smite: Give weapon +2 damage. +4 on raise. Active
Combat Edges:
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore off-hand penalty.
  • Champion: +2 damage and toughness vs supernatural evil.
  • Martial Artist: Never considered unarmed or subject to Unarmed Defender rule. Adds +d4 to Strength roll on successful unarmed attack.
  • Mighty Blow: If joker drawn, x2 total damage on successful melee attack.
  • Quick: Discard and redraw initiative until higher than 5.
  • Two-Fisted: Roll attacks for each hand separately, ignoring multi-action penalty.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

I'm fine with it.

* Increased abilities from TW device
-1 to be hit by ranged Exalted Quickness
PPE: 7/15 Master of Magic
  • Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
  • Speed:

Gadgets 2/4 remaining
Current Gadgets

Advnture Card
Dressed to Kill -Your hero dresses up, is “on” for the night, or otherwise far more attractive or charismatic than usual. Add +4 to your Charisma for the duration of the current “scene.”

Active Powers: Exalted Quickness, Boost Trait (+1d Shooting ignore 4pt penalties from damaged equipment) Boost Trait (+1d TW ignore 4pt penalties from damaged equipment)

Bennies 6/3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

A couple of good Interludes up already.

Once you interludes are complete you may chose to either take a bennie (putting you at 4) or you may take the adventure card corresponding to your roll.
While you may only use one Adventure card per session, you can keep an unused one for the next session and keep the best two.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=1082

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

While it is not a site requirement, I would like to ask if we could please put all dice rolls in ooc tags like the following.

Code:
[ooc]
All those messy rolls and game mechanics.
[/ooc]

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Im not sure that I understand the request. It may be clearer after i see others doing it.

+1 GM Reward

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

You will notice if you look at most of the post you can't see the rolls a character makes unless you click a button.

But on some post you see a wall of un-parsed dice rolls.

I prefer the dice rolls hidden, it is not a requirement, but it is aesthetically superior when catching up on reading.

After all dice rolls are out of character, so an ooc tag is appropriate.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

1d6 (3) on a 5 or 6 you still have a CS encrypted radio
1 Benny to suceed (per RFT)

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

RFT, I'm going to request I be allowed to edit my "a little odd" quirk from won't kill rank and file CS to won't kill rank and file or civilians of anything. Obviously it doesn't apply to demons, but CS soldiers, thieves, bandits who back down, etc. One thing I realized is L.C. is mostly just tired of killing. He'll do it without hesitation, but he doesn't want to indulge that. He just wants to do his job, save people, bring back his people, without submitting to the mindless killing machine the CS trained him to be and his every instinct says he should be. It kind of crystallized when I was writing this response to the D-Goblin. I almost ordered the entire group into battle readiness and dropped his invisibility. I could have easily done it. But instead I decided on persuasion - something he's not good at when words are involved.

Anyway, I doubt you'll have any issue, but I wanted to clear it first.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

High Command wrote:
RFT, I'm going to request I be allowed to edit my "a little odd" quirk from won't kill rank and file CS to won't kill rank and file or civilians of anything. Obviously it doesn't apply to demons, but CS soldiers, thieves, bandits who back down, etc. One thing I realized is L.C. is mostly just tired of killing. He'll do it without hesitation, but he doesn't want to indulge that. He just wants to do his job, save people, bring back his people, without submitting to the mindless killing machine the CS trained him to be and his every instinct says he should be. It kind of crystallized when I was writing this response to the D-Goblin. I almost ordered the entire group into battle readiness and dropped his invisibility. I could have easily done it. But instead I decided on persuasion - something he's not good at when words are involved.

Anyway, I doubt you'll have any issue, but I wanted to clear it first.

Sure, no problem.

Normally after playing a character for a while the idea of the character becomes more solid and little tweaks get needed.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Damage compensation: By sharing or enhancing a Techno-Wizard's connection to machinery the target subconsciously compensates for penalties inflicted by using damaged equipment.

For +1PPE the target can ignore 2 points of penalties to the affected skill from damaged equipment. As a replacement for the normal effects of a raise the amount of penalty ignored increases to 4 points.

* Increased abilities from TW device
-1 to be hit by ranged Exalted Quickness
PPE: 7/15 Master of Magic
  • Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
  • Speed:

Gadgets 2/4 remaining
Current Gadgets

Advnture Card
Dressed to Kill -Your hero dresses up, is “on” for the night, or otherwise far more attractive or charismatic than usual. Add +4 to your Charisma for the duration of the current “scene.”

Active Powers: Exalted Quickness, Boost Trait (+1d Shooting ignore 4pt penalties from damaged equipment) Boost Trait (+1d TW ignore 4pt penalties from damaged equipment)

Bennies 6/3

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Erin Sol wrote:
Damage compensation: By sharing or enhancing a Techno-Wizard's connection to machinery the target subconsciously compensates for penalties inflicted by using damaged equipment.

For +1PPE the target can ignore 2 points of penalties to the affected skill from damaged equipment. As a replacement for the normal effects of a raise the amount of penalty ignored increases to 4 points.

I approve it for this application, so that you can post. I also placed it in custom to see if others think it would be useful in their games.

Normally I would say only ignore -1 and -2 respectively, but by adding the 1 PPE cost to use I think it balances okay.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1421

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]