View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Naruni, Inc. 
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

This started because someone on Google Plus asked about Naruni weapons. Now it's grown into something more. There's a community project started by Victor Diaz. I'm now a part of it too. I'm slowly adding stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r0j ... sp=sharing

Weapons
Intimidating Weapon: When using intimidation, Naruni plasma cartridge weapons are almost always the most intimidating weapon on the battle field and receive +2 to intimidation as per the Test of Wills rules. See SWD page 86 for details and exceptions.

NE-H10 Plasma Derringer
Uses the Light Plasma Cartridge.
Range: 5/10/20
Damage: 3d8
ROF: 1
AP: -
Shots: 2
Weight: 1 lbs.
Cost: 10,000 for the gun, each round is 15 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Intimidating Weapon

NE-4 Plasma Cartridge Pistol
Uses the Standard Plasma Cartridge.
Range: 10/20/40
Damage: 3d10
Shots: 10
Weight: 6 lbs.
Cost: 25,000 for the gun, each round is 40 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d8, Intimidating Weapon, Semi-Auto

NE-6 "Magnum" Plasma Cartridge Revolver
Shots: 6
Weight: 6 lbs.
Cost: 15,000 for the gun, each round is 40 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d8, Intimidating Weapon, Revolver

NE-2L Plasma Cartridge Auto-Pistol
Shots: 9
Weight: 4 lbs.
Cost: 10,000 for the gun, each round is 15 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d6, Intimidating Weapon, Semi-Auto

NE-300 "Stutterer" Plasma Cartridge Sub Machine Gun
ROF: 3
Shots: 50 (Drum) or 30 ("banana" magazine)
Weight: 20 lbs. (Drum Magazine) or 15 lbs. ("Banana" Magazine)
Cost: 20,000 for the gun, each round is 15 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d8, d10 with drum magazine, Intimidating Weapon, Automatic

NE-10 Plasma Cartridge Rifle
Range: 20/40/80
Shots: 20
Weight: 20 lbs.
Cost: 40,000 for the gun, each round is 40 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d10, Intimidating Weapon, Semi-Auto

NE-95 "Double Threat"Assault Rifle
Range: 20/40/80
Weight: 25 lbs.
Cost: 40,000 for the gun, each round is 40 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Min Str: d12, Integral grenade launcher (12/24/48, Damage by grenade, 12 shots), Intimidating Weapon, Semi-Auto

NE-75H "Shoulder Cannon"
Uses the Standard or Heavy Plasma Cartridge.
Range: 50/100/200 (Heavy) or 30/60/120
Damage: 3d12 (Heavy) or 3d10 (Standard)
Weight: 30 lbs.
Cost: 40,000 for the gun, each standard round is 40 credits, each heavy round is 50 credits
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Snap-Fire, Min Str: d12, Intimidating Weapon

NE-200 Plasma Cartridge Machine-gun
Range: 30/60/120
Shots: 40 (box magazine) or 200 (Belt)
Weight: 70 lbs.
Cost: 95,000 Each round is 40, so a full magazine is 1600 and af full belt is 8000
Notes: Mega-Damage, Plasma, Snap-Fire, Min Str: d12+2, Intimidating Weapon, Automatic

Body Armor

NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor: This is a light and durable suit of combat armor with a fiber-optic material that can change colors to match the general environment. The suit also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the wearer's heat invisible to infrared and thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. The fiber-optic covering copies and displays the surroundings to hide the user. Viewers beyond 50 feet subtract 4 from their Notice rolls to spot or hit the target as long as he moves no faster than 3” per round. At shorter distances, the sheen of the suit can be seen so the penalty is only –2. This feature has made the armor extremely popular. The NE-C20 provides +7 Armor and +1 Toughness, as well as providing Full Environment Protection. Gladiator armor has a Strength Minimum of d8. (13 lb, 75,000 credits)

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

I think they look pretty good with the exception of the NE-75H "Shoulder Cannon". Looking at it, I get strangely uncomfortable with a hand carried weapon being able to inflict 3d12 (same as 3d10+3 really) at Str d12. But I assume it is based on the NG-E4A so it is balanced to that.

Either way plasma weapons are definitely powerful and 3d12 with a 50" range is pretty dang impressively high for a 20 shot man portable weapon.

Over all I think they are good write ups and would only edit it so the quotes on your colloquial names names do not include the period.

Parry: 5 (+2 to normal sized attackers rolls to hit me)
Toughness: 34(16) / 11(4) in humanoid form
Notable Edges: Danger Sense, Strong Will
Skills: Fighting d6, Knowledge (Arcane) d6, Magic d6, Notice d4, Psionics d6, Tracking d4, Shooting d4, and Stealth d4.
Innate Abilities: Fire Breath (shooting for 4d6, or place cone for 2d10), Infravision (half lighting penalty), Tail Lash (d12+d8+5 to a 2" by 4" area), Claws/Bit (d12+3d6+5 AP4), and Fear.
Spells: Arcane Infusion and Disruption (Boost/Lower Trait), Undue (Healing), and Arcane Sustenance (Succor).
Psionics: Doubt (Confusion), Mist Walk (Intangibility), and Force of Will (Puppet).
Equipment of Note: Light Generic LLW Styled Armor, Bracers of the Arcane (10 PPE, Deflection, Master of Magic, changes shape with me).
Charisma: -2 (Socially Awkward Youth)
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/2 | ISP: 10/10 | PPE: 20/20
Bracers PPE: 5/5 Deflection & 5/5 Shrinking
Action Cards: In the Zone - Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene
Bennies: 4
  • +1 for 3rd Q post rate.

Ndreare, currently playing.
    Echo a Living Spell inspired by the Nightbane Shapers from Between The Shadows. Currently playing in: Joker's Jokers
    Kidemónas a young dragon, who desires to be the hero his friend told him he could be. Currently playing in: 3rd Set The Losers
    Leben Nicholas a True Atlantean Priest of Light and lover of life. Currently playing in: Chronicles of the Vampire Kingdoms

GM Quick Reference

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Edit: All Plasma Weapons are MD, so the 3d8 reduced Damage is good, but it should still be MD.

Parry: 5 (+2 to normal sized attackers rolls to hit me)
Toughness: 34(16) / 11(4) in humanoid form
Notable Edges: Danger Sense, Strong Will
Skills: Fighting d6, Knowledge (Arcane) d6, Magic d6, Notice d4, Psionics d6, Tracking d4, Shooting d4, and Stealth d4.
Innate Abilities: Fire Breath (shooting for 4d6, or place cone for 2d10), Infravision (half lighting penalty), Tail Lash (d12+d8+5 to a 2" by 4" area), Claws/Bit (d12+3d6+5 AP4), and Fear.
Spells: Arcane Infusion and Disruption (Boost/Lower Trait), Undue (Healing), and Arcane Sustenance (Succor).
Psionics: Doubt (Confusion), Mist Walk (Intangibility), and Force of Will (Puppet).
Equipment of Note: Light Generic LLW Styled Armor, Bracers of the Arcane (10 PPE, Deflection, Master of Magic, changes shape with me).
Charisma: -2 (Socially Awkward Youth)
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/2 | ISP: 10/10 | PPE: 20/20
Bracers PPE: 5/5 Deflection & 5/5 Shrinking
Action Cards: In the Zone - Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene
Bennies: 4
  • +1 for 3rd Q post rate.

Ndreare, currently playing.
    Echo a Living Spell inspired by the Nightbane Shapers from Between The Shadows. Currently playing in: Joker's Jokers
    Kidemónas a young dragon, who desires to be the hero his friend told him he could be. Currently playing in: 3rd Set The Losers
    Leben Nicholas a True Atlantean Priest of Light and lover of life. Currently playing in: Chronicles of the Vampire Kingdoms

GM Quick Reference

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 am
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

So, first, I went for the best direct apples-to-apples comparison I could find:

Quote:
NE-200 Plasma Cartridge Machine-gun
Shots: 40 (box magazine) or 200 (Belt)
Cost: 95,000 Each round is 40, so a full magazine is 1600 and af full belt is 8000
Notes: Auto, Mega-Damage, Plasma, Snap-Fire, Min Str: d12+2

Quote:
NG-E15 Pulse Plasma Ejector
Uses a Long E-Clip
Shots: 48
Cost: 92,000, Recharging the clip costs 2500 (approx. 50 credits per shot)--but unlike the Naruni cartridges, self-charging is something any skilled individual can do at half-cost with the right equipment.
Notes: Auto, Mega-Damage, Plasma, Snap-fire, Min Str: d12

So for the extra 3 grand, you get the option of a belt-feed, a +1 to Intimidate (an ability I am going to suggest should be called "Fearsome" in the Notes section from now on, just to keep a consistency of style--those with a +2 can be dubbed "Horrific"), more expensive ammo, and a higher Strength requirement.

I'm not sure it's worth that, though of course a +1 Intimidation via TW modification would be a 5K cost, so what do I know?

It gets a bit harder to parse the balance as we move down to the smaller Naruni weapons--the NG Ejectors all do somewhat higher damage and most have better range, but are also considerably pricier. I don't think anything trips my alarm bells in terms of, "Why does the standard book gear exist at all?", though, so I'm good with this.

Quick terminology point: RoF should read "1", with "Revolver" or "Semi-Auto" in the Notes section for several of the weapons (at least, I'm assuming that the intent here is to give the Revolver the Fan the Hammer option, and the Semi-Auto weapons the Double-Tap option). Similarly, the "Stutterer" should have "Automatic" in the Notes, rather than on the ROF line.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:01 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

I changed the intimidate bonus to basically use the bonus already a part of Test of Wills. Refresh it.

Noted on ROF. Thanks.

TBH, the biggest thing Naruni shells offer is a lack of reliance on rechargers, but benefiting those who stock up on ammo. It's a stylistic choice that has been defended and derided since they were introduced in Mercenaries and Phase World.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 am
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Me Like!

Though beware getting into gunfights inside a wooden structure or at least don't miss! :shock:

I have a gunfighter character that would love the plasma revolver. :D

Professor Adam Radecliffe
Professor Adam Radecliffe (Rogue Scholar)
Bennies 3 of 4

Player: James
Alts: Fizzwaite Zipwidget, Hawdore, Sparkmort "Sparky" Zipwidget

Agility d8 | Smarts d10 | Spirit d8 | Strength d6 | Vigor d6
Pace 6 | Parry 5 | Toughness 12(5)

Frequently used skills
Alertness d8 + 2
Persuasion d8 + 2
Shooting d8

Edges
Scholar [Archaeology, History]: +2 to Knowledge(Archaeology) and Knowledge(History)
Investigator: +2 Investigation and Streetwise
Linguist: Begin play with a number of languages equal to Smarts (@ Smarts die level); Smarts –2 to be understood in any language heard for a week
Charismatic: +2 to Charisma
Strong Willed: +2 to Intimidation and Taunt, +2 to resist Tests of Will
Brawny: +1 Toughness and load limit is 8 x STR
Brave: +2 to Fear tests
Elan: +2 when spending a Benny on a Trait roll (including soak rolls)
Alertness: +2 Notice
Steady Hands: Ignore unstable platform penalty; Running penalty reduced to –1

Hindrances
(Major) Curious: The mysteries of the world await
(Minor) Wanted [Coalition]: Possession of forbidden knowledge with intent to distribute
(Minor) Bad Eyes: The spirit is willing but the eyes can't see a damned thing

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:29 am

Time to put a NE store in the mix? Right outside the Castle? Run Logun out, take over his shop/garage. Buy out the small Titan Robotics store, push out the competition and start selling NE weapons?

Accounts
Active Player Accounts: Silas 1st SET, Zieja 13th SET.
Old Player Accounts: Fell (Juicer), Seth (Cyber Knight), Oleksandr (Shifter), Jesse (Deadlands Harrowed Gunslinger), Roath (Ley Line Walker), Mercy (Crazie).

Black Company GM bennies for Q4: 6/6

Edit Your Signature
GM Quick Reference

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Keep in mind NG, WI, and the CS actually offers bounties on Naruni Gear and salesmen. And Lazlo and company are not big fans of their business practices. That said, all it takes is a trip to Kingsdale and knowing who to talk to. Or setting up a meet in the wilderness (with tons of Repo Bots and hired mercs for protection).

Getting the stuff isn't the problem, it's affording it.

BTW if anyone wants to convert anything reply here with it and I'll add it to the community project.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 pm
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Added something new because of a find in the SFC:

NE-CW20 Camouflage Variable Armor: This is a light and durable suit of combat armor with a fiber-optic material that can change colors to match the general environment. The suit also masks infrared and thermal emissions, making the wearer's heat invisible to infrared and thermal systems and even then the reading/image will seem unusual. The fiber-optic covering copies and displays the surroundings to hide the user. Viewers beyond 50 feet subtract 4 from their Notice rolls to spot or hit the target as long as he moves no faster than 3” per round. At shorter distances, the sheen of the suit can be seen so the penalty is only –2. This feature has made the armor extremely popular. The NE-C20 provides +7 Armor and +1 Toughness, as well as providing Full Environment Protection. NE-CW20 armor has a Strength Minimum of d8. (13 lb, 75,000 credits)

Design notes: Uses the armor rating of Gladiator armor (closest to it in classic in terms of weight and mobility), plus the Camo suit from SFC p. 14. Price is as per Naruni Wave 2

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

How about the NE-50 Particle Beam Rifle from the Mercenaries book? :)

Bennies 3 of 4

Frequently used skills
Alertness d8 + 2
Persuasion d8 + 2
Shooting d8

Edges
Scholar [Archaeology, History]: +2 to Knowledge(Archaeology) and Knowledge(History)
Linguist: Begin play with a number of languages equal to Smarts (@ Smarts die level); Smarts –2 to be understood in any language heard for a week

Hindrances
(Minor) Wanted [Coalition]: Possession of forbidden knowledge with intent to distribute

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 pm
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

You mean this, *you* put together :P

NE-50 Particle Beam Rifle (Rifts Mercenaries pg 123)
Range 24/48/96 | Damage 3d8 + 3 | RoF 1 | AP 4 | Shots 16 | Wt. 13 lbs. | Cost 45,000
Notes: Min Str d6, Semi-Auto

Honestly, I need to look at what's there to gauge it.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 pm
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

High Command wrote:
You mean this, *you* put together :P

NE-50 Particle Beam Rifle (Rifts Mercenaries pg 123)
Range 24/48/96 | Damage 3d8 + 3 | RoF 1 | AP 4 | Shots 16 | Wt. 13 lbs. | Cost 45,000
Notes: Min Str d6, Semi-Auto

Honestly, I need to look at what's there to gauge it.

I don't remember what I used to come up the the range but the NE-50 has the same range in classic as the NE-10 so 20/40/80 may be a better bet. For the damage I just added a die to the TX-26 Particle Pistol. For AP the average seems to be 2 but this is a Naruni weapons so I figured it would have a little more penetration. YMMV. Shots, Weight and Cost all came from Rifts Mercenaries. It weights about the same as a NG-L5 so I went with a d6 for min Strength.

Bennies 3 of 4

Frequently used skills
Alertness d8 + 2
Persuasion d8 + 2
Shooting d8

Edges

Hindrances

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm

High Command,

What about this?

NE-10 Plasma Cartridge Rifle
Weight: 20lbs.
Damage: 4d8+2
Payload: 20
Cost: 40K for the gun, each round costs 40, a full mag costs 800

The reason I am putting this out is because the NE-4 and NE-10 have the same stats.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Should anybody with Naruni weapon for increased effectiveness gain the wanted flaw at minor level for the bounty on it?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 am

Yeah, I thought the "Naruni" trapping could just be +1 Intimidate and gain Wanted (Minor): Coalition

And RE those rifle stats: 4d8+2 and ROF 3 is vehicle weapon level power, probably a little too nuts for something man-portable.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:22 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Capt. Murdok wrote:
The reason I am putting this out is because the NE-4 and NE-10 have the same stats.

They do in Classic as well. They use the EXACT same shell, with lower range for the pistol (500' vs 1200').

Damage wise in Classic, this is every bit the equal of the C-40R Railgun on the SAMAS, except it's plasma.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm

This ain't Classic though. SR at least acts like the word "balance" exists. I'd use the plasma pistols stats in the SciFi Companion as a base for the pistol, regardless whether they use the same shell in Classic.

Also, I think as a way to differentiate the Naruni shells from regular plasma, it might make sense to give them a bit of AP (2 to 4,maybe) instead of the "ignores non-EVA Armor" rule (but let them keep the catch fire rule). This would jibe with the cartridges being more concentrated, with better penetration, but distinguish them mechanically so they have different strength and weaknesses than regular plasma, without just being straight up better.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 pm

This is a good idea and make sense to me. Convert the various cartridges and the guns become simple. Same theory I would use for Triax and BigBore rounds.

NE-001PC 'Light' Plasma Cartridge 2d6+2 MD AP 2
NE-002PC 'Medium' Plasma Cartridge 3d6+2 MD AP 2
NE-003PC 'Heavy' Plasma Cartridge 3d8+2 MD AP 4
NE-004PC 'Super Heavy' Plasma Cartridge 3d10+2 MD AP 4

All have the catch fire rule.

Iconic Framework: Crazy
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8+2, Vigor d8
Charisma: -2; Pace: 16 d8; Parry: 4 (6); Uncanny Reflexes -2; Toughness: (16 (7)); Strain: 0 Bennies: 4 Cards: Rabbit out of My Hat

ISP: 14 (30)/30
  • Boost/Lower Trait Cost 2
  • Illusion Cost: 3
  • Mystical Skin " Armor" Trapping: This power is self only but for +1 ISP can be activated as a free action.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=252

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 am
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Tribe of One wrote:
This ain't Classic though. SR at least acts like the word "balance" exists. I'd use the plasma pistols stats in the SciFi Companion as a base for the pistol, regardless whether they use the same shell in Classic.

Also, I think as a way to differentiate the Naruni shells from regular plasma, it might make sense to give them a bit of AP (2 to 4,maybe) instead of the "ignores non-EVA Armor" rule (but let them keep the catch fire rule). This would jibe with the cartridges being more concentrated, with better penetration, but distinguish them mechanically so they have different strength and weaknesses than regular plasma, without just being straight up better.

Point blank, I converted them as they stood in classic. Given this thread is months old at this point, I'm not switching streams this late in the game. The cartridges are exactly the same between guns - no difference at all. Trappings wise that means they do the same damage. Also, they are plasma bombs in cartridge form due to hyper advanced technology. It's plasma.

Also, "this aint classic" arguments do not hold water with me. You can translate the feel just fine as I've done it. The feel is the difference is range, not damage. Also, I personally can't stand that Plasma have the EBA penetration rule. They shoot bolts of plasma, not streams of it like a flamethrower. But RAW doesn't really care for what I think. I'll note that no one in the wider G+ Community had a problem with the shells as written either.

As for Bigbore, I finally have something for them. FYI, Bigbores DO NOT do extra damage, they do knockdown - their damage is minimal really. And the Triax Rounds are already done via canon stats. (they do MD, no AP)

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am

I think it's a faithful adaptation of the PR Naruni guns, I just don't think it fits into the SR power curve. I can point to hundreds of examples in the Tomorrow Legion book in which PR things were translated less than faithfully in order to fit into the Savage Worlds design philosophy (plasma being one of them), but I'm not really interested in starting a debate about it. I was simply interested in potentially getting some of this Naruni stuff approved for use in games here. But it's not that pressing, and I expect we'll be seeing some official Naruni stats in Wave 2.

When that happens, I'll bet you two Bennies that the NE-4 does 2d10+2 just like in the Sci-Fi Companion. 8-)

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

I agree. I think what is up there is good and is faithful to the plasma design philosophy of SR--even if I don't like that plasma=flame thrower either.

Perhaps what we could do is start another thread and do the Wilks CFT rounds if there is any interest. We could get rid of the MD and apply an AP value to those.

As to BigBore, the shotgun rounds are already done. The Thunderer uses them and it's confirmed in Savage Foes where there are stats for the sawed off shotgun having the same 3d6 damage. My point was that you could use the Triax round damage = BigBore pistol round damage as they both are explosive rounds and the PR pistol BigBore rounds do slightly less damage than the shotgun rounds. SR abandoned the knockdown effect already so adding it back in is akin to changing the plasma design philosophy.

Iconic Framework: Crazy
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8+2, Vigor d8
Charisma: -2; Pace: 16 d8; Parry: 4 (6); Uncanny Reflexes -2; Toughness: (16 (7)); Strain: 0 Bennies: 4 Cards: Rabbit out of My Hat

ISP: 14 (30)/30
  • Boost/Lower Trait Cost 2
  • Illusion Cost: 3
  • Mystical Skin " Armor" Trapping: This power is self only but for +1 ISP can be activated as a free action.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=252

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

I'll move the bigbore discussion into that thread. Suffice to say, losing the knockdown is about as antithecal to the concept and story of BigBore as you can get.

If the stats change in canon, they'll change here. I based them off the existing weapons in Classic and the existing translations in SR. The NE-4 was never meant to be a handgun; it's a cannon in micro-form made possible by advanced Naruni technology. It has lower range than the rifle version - again by direct design intent.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]