Dragon Variant: Cat's Eye Dragon

GMs Vote Please

Approved (All Approved House Rules Are Subject to Play Pesting)
25%
Approved (For Limited Play Testing Only, Approval Required for Each Character)
50%
Needs Work
No votes
Disapproved
No votes
Abstain
25%

Total votes: 4

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Dragon Variant: Cat's Eye Dragon

Post by High Command »

Rather than vote on all Dragon Variants, we'll vote one at a time.

Cat's Eye Dragon Hatchling
The Cat's-Eye Dragon has definite feline overtones, while remaining a dragon in every way, with massive wings and powerful limbs. Yet the dragon has retractable claws and golden, almond-shaped eyes like those of a cat, even the muzzle of the dragon is more blunt and feline in shape with enormous canine teeth, as opposed to the more traditional reptilian dragon jaws. Its scales come in tones of tan, gold, tawny yellow, muted orange with red flecks, to deep crimson and blood red. Tufts of darker fur/hair crown the end of the dragon's prehensile tail, and a mane of matching fur often surrounds its head and neck.

The Cat's-Eye Dragon also behaves much like an enormous house cat, napping often during the day and full of vim and vigor at night. They are known for their games of cat and mouse with opponents (including humans) and for their independent and snobbish attitude in regard to other life forms. These distinct dragons are very psionic in nature, though dual natured like all dragons. Their primary abilities present themselves as psionic powers, and while they are otherwise minor psychics, it is a significant part of who they are. This is yet another reason for it's snobbish attitude towards other life forms. Other beings are malleable to the dragon's will, and it doesn't even have to show itself to do so.

Initial Abilities
  • Cat's Eye Gaze*: The dragon may catch a non-mindless intelligent creature with its intense gaze and subjugate its will with his own innate psionic might. The creature must be within Smarts in inches of the dragon. The dragon does an opposed Psionics vs Spirit roll with the target. With success, the target becomes a puppet under the character’s control. This is subject to the normal rules for maintaining powers (SWD 118) and power disruption (SWD 119). Controlled victims make another contested Spirit roll to resist any time he’s forced to do something anathema to his personality, such as walk off a cliff or attack a loved one (Game Master’s call). Success means the target resists for the round and performs no action, while a raise allows him to break free of the controller’s grip entirely. (Of course the dragon can use the power on this victim again on his next action.) Rolling a 1 on the Psionics die when using Cat's Eye Gaze does not result in Brainburn (per Savage Worlds p.119). A critical failure against any target leaves them impervious to this effect for 24 hours. Note that the target DOES remember what they did, but not why they did it. A Smarts check at a dramatically appropriate time may let them figure out it might have been under some sort of mind control.
    SPC Costs
    Puppet Power (2) NO PP (2) = 4 PP; Partially replaces Flame Breath
  • Fire Breath*: Cat's Eye Hatchlings can fire a bolt of flame at Range 12/24/48 and Damage 3d6 (Mega Damage), using their Shooting skill. Alternately, they can do 3d6, Mega Damage in a Cone Template starting from their mouths. Every target within the cone makes an Agility roll −2 to avoid the attack. Those who fail suffer damage.
    SPC Costs
    Ranged Attack 3d6 (3 PP), Heavy (1), Cone or 12/24/48 (1)=5 PP; Partially replaces Flame Breath
  • Turn Invisible at will*: As an action that can be taken at-will, a Cat's Eye Dragon may turn invisible. This only works in the draconic form, and anything carried beyond small personal effects will be visible (a ring or necklace, for example). Invisible dragons leave some tell-tale trace of their presence, namely their heat, mass, and any sounds they make, so foes get a Notice roll at –6 to detect them if given some reason to do so, or if the invisible dragon closes within 5” (10 yards). Also see the note about technological sensors on page 59 of the Savage Rifts GM Guide. If the invisible dragon does something obvious like attack or stand in the rain, the penalty to attack is halved and no Notice roll is necessary to detect their presence. This ability is most often used by a hiding dragon to enforce their gaze on the unsuspecting. One doesn't question why the dragon is staring at you if it is invisible.
    Attacks made against invisible Cat's Eye Dragons suffer a –6 penalty (use only the highest penalty if a character has more than one power-based attack penalty). Cat's Eye Dragons with Master Psychic edge have access to true invisibility but activate it normally with 10 I.S.P., unlike their natural at-will invisibility.
    SPC Costs
    Invisibility, Rank 3 (12 PP), in draconic form only, and only inconsequential items are hidden (-2) = 10 PP; Replaces Immunity to Fire
Abilities available upon advancement
  • Improved Invisibility*: The Cat's Eye Dragon may now use his innate invisibility while using metamorphosis, no matter what the form is, and it includes all gear that is carried/worn.
    SPC Cost
    +2 PP; Replaces Flaming Scales
  • Improved Cat's Eye Gaze: Starting at Veteran, the dragon may take this ability as an advance. The targets may remember what they did, but they will think it was their decision. Any Smarts check, as mentioned above, to recognize the mind control will be made at -2.
    SPC Cost
    Memory Alteration (4), + Remove Penalty (1), Can't get it until Veteran (-3) = 2 PP; Additional option
Edit: Thanks to Freemage, Pender, and RFT for some good counterpoints that led to this version
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Dragon Variant: Cat's Eye Dragon

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

For the gaze: any thought to using paralysis poison rules combined with the dragons breath weapon:
a Cone Template starting from their mouths. Every target within the cone makes an Agility roll −2 to avoid the attack.
If the agility check is unsuccessful make a vigor roll: Paralyzed for 2d6 minutes if failed, or 2d6 rounds with success.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Because it doesn't fit the fluff or intent of the power of the gaze at all? SW doesn't have a good suggestion mechanic, aside from puppet.
RUE 159-160
Those caught in the transfixing gaze of the Cat's-Eye Dragon are likely to fall under the beast's mystic charm. A charm that allows the dragon to influence, command and control his enthralled victim(s). The victim must look directly in the eye, or eyes of the dragon for this power to take effect. This power does not affect characters piloting robot vehicles and seeing through the eyes of a video monitor. However, most types of power armor and all body armor offer no protection at all; gaze into the dragon's eyes and you may be under his control if that is what the dragon desires. The victim may make a save vs mind control (needing 14 or higher) to resist the dragon's influence.
The Cat's-Eye's Gaze enables the dragon to control any individual as long as the command is not morally out of character or repugnant. The Cat's-Eye may issue any commands he feels appropriate to his charmed victim and instinctively knows the charm's limits and its best applications. For example: The dragon might control an opponent and tell him to, "Close your eyes and stand in a corner," or "You are very tired, go to sleep," or, "Those people need your help, go to them and help them", or "That building's on fire, you must go and rescue anybody trapped inside." The closer the command is to the nature and alignment of the victim, the more likely the charmed person is to comply without hesitation.
A command like, "Prevent your friends from entering this room:' can also be effective, especially if a statement like, "Great danger lies beyond this room, don't let anybody enter," is added to it. The command is an effective one, because it is not abhorrent, nor morally wrong. In fact, it may save lives. The charmed character has not been told to hurt anybody, only to try to prevent them from entering the room. The individual can use whatever methods or degree of force that would be natural for his alignment and based on his relationship with the character he's restraining. On the other hand, a command to "kill" a friend, family member or teammate would instantly break the mind control.
Finally, the limit to thc number of people the Cat's-Eye Dragon can control is three per level of experience (x10 when an adult). Note that it is difficult (if not impossible) to charm someone in the middle of combat or any intense activity, because the person is too preoccupied and busy fighting and distracted to look the dragon in the eye. The best use of this ability is for subterfuge and covert influence of others. The other limitation is that the charm's effects wear ofT in just two minutes (8 melee rounds) per level of experience, or when the victim leaves the dragon's range of influence.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Sorry I forgot this one was the puppet one. The ancient vampire has some puppet enthrall effects in the core book.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

basically Use Puppet :P
SWD 164
Charm: Vampires can use the puppet power on the opposite sex using their Smarts as their arcane skill. They can cast and maintain the power indefinitely, but may only affect one target at a time.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

High Command wrote:basically Use Puppet :P
SWD 164
Charm: Vampires can use the puppet power on the opposite sex using their Smarts as their arcane skill. They can cast and maintain the power indefinitely, but may only affect one target at a time.
Yes I thought might be easier to use it or something similiar.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

That's precisely what is there - I just put the mechanics IN the power description instead of referring outside it.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

High Command wrote:That's precisely what is there - I just put the mechanics IN the power description instead of referring outside it.
I guess so man. I see a lot of words and assume there is more.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Ok now some real help:

Cats eye gaze: maintaining a power does don't give you negatives to every trait roll. Also Here are the rules for distruption and powers:

Disruption A character who is actively maintaining a power may be disrupted if he suffers damage. To maintain concentration for all of his powers, the hero makes one opposed arcane skill roll versus the damage he suffered. If his roll is higher, he maintains all of his spells. If he fails, he instantly drops all of his powers after the attack that caused the disruption is resolved. A character who is Shaken by non-damaging means (such as a Test of Wills) must make a simple Smarts roll to maintain his powers.

I would just use the vampire charm with some minor modifications:
Cats eye gaze: This dragon can use the puppet power on Intelegent beings using their Smarts as their arcane skill. They can cast and maintain the power indefinitely.

For invisibility: use the brodkil version:
Invisibility: As the power, but used at will without a roll (at the base −4 level)
Use a racial edge superior invisibilty to get to -6, and a seasoned or vetran edge to get to the mega version. I suppose if in the point build they are paying for access to the mega version then carry on. The racial edges just seem a good place to expand their abilities.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

After some give and take, the final version (now in the above description

Cat's Eye Gaze: The dragon may catch a non-mindless intelligent creature with its intense gaze and subjugate its will with his own innate psionic might. The creature must be within Smarts in inches of the dragon. The dragon does an opposed Psionics vs Spirit roll with the target. With success, the target becomes a puppet under the character’s control. This is subject to the normal rules for maintaining powers (SWD 118) and power disruption (SWD 119). Controlled victims make another contested Spirit roll to resist any time he’s forced to do something anathema to his personality, such as walk off a cliff or attack a loved one (Game Master’s call). Success means the target resists for the round and performs no action, while a raise allows him to break free of the controller’s grip entirely. (Of course the dragon can use the power on this victim again on his next action.) Rolling a 1 on the Psionics die when using Cat's Eye Gaze does not result in Brainburn (per Savage Worlds p.119). A critical failure against any target leaves them impervious to this effect for 24 hours. Note that the target DOES remember what they did, but not why they did it. A smarts check at a dramatically appropriate time may let them figure out it might have been under some sort of mind control.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I personally would like invisibility to be a racial edge chain, lord knows dragons need them. But I cannot have it all. Voted approved.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Archive”