Dragon Variant: Royal Frilled Dragon

GMs Vote Please

Approved (All Approved House Rules Are Subject to Play Pesting)
50%
Approved (For Limited Play Testing Only, Approval Required for Each Character)
No votes
Needs Work
No votes
Disapproved
No votes
Abstain
50%

Total votes: 2

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Dragon Variant: Royal Frilled Dragon

Post by High Command »

I should note that I fully expect people to hate this next one. It dips a little much into MM territory. But I left some things off, and made sure it's bonus power is at least iconic to the creature itself. It's supposed to shadowmeld at will.

Royal Frilled Dragon
The Royal Frilled Dragon is among the most feared and powerful of all dragons, blessed with Master level psychic powers even at the Hatchling stage. Its coloration varies widely, from light blue or green to golden orange and red. Around the head/neck of the dragon and along the sides of the body and limbs are frills that can be extended when the dragon is angry or wishes to intimidate someone. The frills are generally royal blue, violet or purple in color, hence the name "Royal" Frilled Dragon. Its claws are also impressively large and hooked, able to slash and gut even other dragons with ease. They enjoy the company of humans and humanoids and commonly walk among them in human guise through metamorphosis, manipulating them with their psychic powers. To facilitate such behavior, the Frilled Dragon is able to maintain its metamorphosis for twice as long as most other dragons, even at the Hatchling stage. They also are known for their prolific study and use of the mystical arts.
Initial Abilities
  • Poison Breath: The Royal Frilled Dragon can breathe out a purpic mist that lingers and causes paralysis in all who breathe it in. The dragon breathes in a cone. All those who inhale the purple mist (Vigor roll at -2), are affected. If the victim fails the roll, he’s Incapacitated. On the target's following turns, the paralyzed victim makes a Vigor (at -2) roll to revive. With a raise, the victim revives and may act normally. With a success, the target revives but is Shaken and at half Pace until un-Shaken.
    SPC Cost
    Paralysis Power (3 PP) that is Strong (1 PP)
  • Arcane Background (Psionics): As a Master Psionic, a Royal Frilled Dragon Hatchling begins with three powers (from the Mind Melter list; one of which must be invisibility) and 20 ISP. It also has a beginning Psionic skill of d8, and the Major Psionic and Master Psionic Edges, as well as the New Power Edge. The invisibility (and true invisibility) power must use Shadow and Darkness trappings.
    SPC Cost
    One skill point (1) and 3 edges (6) = 7 PP; replaces the basic arcane background provided by the dragon, and partially replaces Impervious to fire and the fire breath weapon
  • Innate Scholarly Understanding of Magic: Due to psychically implanted knowledge from their mother, Royal Frills start with greater knowledge of the arcane than most. They start with Knowledge (Arcane) and one language of choice, both at d8. Further, they also gain the Scholar edge.
    SPC Cost
    Scholar Edge (2) and 2 super skills at d8 (6) = 8 PP; partially replaces impervious to fire
Abilities available upon advancement
  • Expanded Awareness: As an advance, a Royal Frilled Dragon can learn how to use detect arcana at will, as a free action. This is a psionic ability and uses the dragon's psychic skill.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Dragon Variant: Royal Frilled Dragon

Post by High Command »

Any other thoughts aside from Rob's approval?
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I thought it looked good overall.
Did not have any valuable feedback.

But lets all be honest. My approval really matters. <shrugs with false humility>
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I guess folks have such a poor view of Mind Melter, the idea of a dragon starting off with psionic Mega Powers (same as a MARS character can) doesn't seem that bad.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I would probably just vote against it.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:I would probably just vote against it.
The look on my face, that is surprise. It really is.

Ok, so after your knee jerk reaction, how about some ACTUAL feedback.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

You know what you are right. When it comes down to it I don't have the knowledge or the will to read to see if the royal frill dragons would get what you gave them. But for sure I can comment on the mechanics you are applying.

A typical cone attack power gives a agility roll to get out of the way. For paraysis savage worlds has rules for that in the hazards section in the poison area. No need to reinvent the wheel.

The psionics language needs to be tightened up. Use something like the simvans use. If you are having to state they know true invisibility it is not clear that invisibility is one of the psionic powers known. Natural Psionics: RF dragon start with the Arcane Background (Psionics) Edge. Invisibility must be one of their first chosen powers. They also receive the new power edge, as well as both the major and master psionic edges.

Innate knowledge is a bit wordy. I had to read it three times to get it all. Can we simfly it to the linguist edge and the scholar edge with two knowledges at a d8 one of which must be knowledge arcana.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Archive”