Crafting Tattoos

Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Crafting Tattoos

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

High Command wrote: How do you get Magic Tattoos?
Tattoo Magic is extremely rare. Splugorth High Lords, the Splugorth themselves, ancient Chiang-Ku dragons (the only originators of tattoo magic and the only beings capable of doing tattoo art on dragons), and the Master Alchemists of the various True Atlantean Clans. The only known master on Rifts Earth (from Clan Skellian) resides in Manoa, but few know how to get to that city without first going through Center or Alexandria in the Phase World Dimension. Clan Achereon’s Master resides on the planet Alexandria or one of their outpost worlds in the Three Galaxies. The locations of other clan alchemists are not widely known, even among True Atlanteans, and none are known by anyone else. Characters without a friendly Tattoo Alchemist will be unable to gain new tattoos, so GMs are encouraged to make one available. Note this is also a mercantile relationship, so be prepared to pay in cash or favors.
Tattoo Magic

Is the above quoted section, just Palladium fluff or SavageRifts.com cannon?

If this is cannon, then a Chaing-Ku would not need to take AB Tattoos in order to create and make and ink tattoos. As AB Alchemy is their racial skill, they would just need the appropriate experience to become a Master of Magic (Seasoned Rank 1).
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Chaing-Ku Dragon Hatchling

Post by Ndreare »

I believe the Dragon can make its own tattoos with the new power edge representing time and energy investment.

Likewise a Human, Ogre, Elf, or Atlantean could get one from the dragon my expecting a edge.

That was fluff from atlantis, before England. The racial alchemy covers what is needed.

However, I would say if you give the tattoo to someone who does not have the experience needed for the edge. That would be represented by those cases where people died instead of the tattoo working. Something bit in the fluff happens
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

There's a reason we need a separate thread for dealing with PCs making tattoos. Unless the PC made tattoos are made using the enchanted items rules, we just don't have a methodology for making them, no more than we have a methodology for PCs making cybernetics.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I would not consider a mechanic, but a flavor or excuse to allow the edge.

Any doctor with healing Knowledge Cybernetics and knowledge medicine can install cybernetics.

No need for a mechanic to do it, because it is downtime type stuff, that takes weeks or months.

We only need mechanics for things in the adventures.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

High Command wrote:There's a reason we need a separate thread for dealing with PCs making tattoos. Unless the PC made tattoos are made using the enchanted items rules, we just don't have a methodology for making them, no more than we have a methodology for PCs making cybernetics.
@Patrick, I think you are in the right direction.
RFT wrote:I would not consider a mechanic, but a flavor or excuse to allow the edge.

Any doctor with healing Knowledge Cybernetics and knowledge medicine can install cybernetics.

No need for a mechanic to do it, because it is downtime type stuff, that takes weeks or months.

We only need mechanics for things in the adventures.
@Rob the doctor can install existing cybernetics, but what about crafting a unique cybernetic mod?

I follow where you are going with downtime fluff, but I love to build and create and having these kind of rules in place now mean less hassle with the details in the future. I guarentee that crafting is one of the reasons I role play.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

For unique new stuff, I would drop a big red flag and agree a separate thread.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Agreed.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Crafting Tattoos

Post by High Command »

You're right, an adult Chiang-Ku who has studied literally for centuries would be able to simple do what they want in terms of creating tattoos, and literally any other type of magic item. That is not what we are discussing. We are discussing a child who's lifespan is measured in weeks and months. They haven't had the breadth of experience to even see a magic tattoo DONE, much less do one themselves. Even if they have spent years learning and studying at the hands of another Chiang-Ku, they would still have difficulty.

I am considering something else, and once I have it, I will post further.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... 166#p35166

Here's the definitive answer. Uses existing Tattoo creation rules, but with AB Enchanting limits.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I am okay with this, I assume both tattoos and Enchanting include a component cost about equal to TW cost.

Also a warning that failure causes both the Alchemist and the recipient a fatigue.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I moved your reply since those rules threads are not for discussion. I updated it to include a note on time frame and the consequences of failure.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

My reason for posting the questions and concerns was because, I am crafting an Legendary Chaing-Ku.

Wanted to make sure I was understanding the mechanics properly.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

A Legendary adult Chiang-Ku can literally make whatever he wants to. In fact, I put in there specifically that they can break the rules. A Legendary Hatchling would still be able to make one with 4 Major and 2 minor qualities. One thing this does do is I can see people getting tattoos for signature items, especially if they are playing a human, ogre, or True Atlantean.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

High Command wrote:A Legendary adult Chiang-Ku can literally make whatever he wants to. In fact, I put in there specifically that they can break the rules. A Legendary Hatchling would still be able to make one with 4 Major and 2 minor qualities. One thing this does do is I can see people getting tattoos for signature items, especially if they are playing a human, ogre, or True Atlantean.
I would not allow signature item tattoos.

It would let someones signature item be cooler than mine, and that is not okay.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Kind of petty but understandable Rob.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

RFT wrote:
High Command wrote:A Legendary adult Chiang-Ku can literally make whatever he wants to. In fact, I put in there specifically that they can break the rules. A Legendary Hatchling would still be able to make one with 4 Major and 2 minor qualities. One thing this does do is I can see people getting tattoos for signature items, especially if they are playing a human, ogre, or True Atlantean.
I would not allow signature item tattoos.

It would let someones signature item be cooler than mine, and that is not okay.
I know it's hard to accept Rob, but there can be things cooler than yours. It's okay, we understand you are petty and insecure. We don't think you any lesser (even if you are) for it. :P
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Sgt 86Delta wrote:Kind of petty but understandable Rob.
What do you mean "kind of"?
High Command wrote: I know it's hard to accept Rob, but there can be things cooler than yours. It's okay, we understand you are petty and insecure. We don't think you any lesser (even if you are) for it. :P
Hey, wait, now.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades