Bodyguard Edge

Krozog

Bodyguard Edge

Post by Krozog »

This is a really cool Edge from IZ 2.0. I'm not sure if there's anything like it in Palladium rifts or not. It has a real protector-of-the-weak feel going for it though. What do you guys think?

Professional Edge

Bodyguard
Requirements: Novice, Agility d8+, Fighting d8+, Notice d6+

Bodyguards make their living by protecting someone else. This means they not only have to be aware of any potential dangers, but must be able to act quickly and effectively to prevent any harm from coming to their charge.
A character with this Edge gains a +2 bonus to Notice checks made to detect potential ambushes or similar dangers. Additionally, the character may spend a Benny once per round to place himself in the way of any attack (Fighting, Shooting or Throwing) against a person within 5”.
All Fighting rolls are then made against his Parry, and he suffers the effect of any successful attacks. This can be done at any time, regardless of the bodyguard’s Initiative, and counts as a free action; any other actions must be taken on his own initiative card.
Krozog, Paladin of Light
Krozog, Ogre Paladin
Pace: 7; Parry: 8(2)
Toughness: 10(0)
  • +2 vs Ranged
  • +2 vs Creatures of Darkness and Flame and their servants.
  • +1 vs damage causing arcane powers.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Bad Eyes: Ogres suffer a -2 on all Trait rolls dealing with anything more than 5” away.
    Battle Hardened: +2 to Soak rolls.
    Big Target: Attackers gain +1 to attack rolls made against Ogres.
    Champion: +2 to damage and +2 to Toughness vs Supernaturally Evil creatures.
    Magical Resistance: +1 Armor vs Damaging magic, +1 to resist opposed magic (friendly spells subtract this modifier)
    Reach: Ogres have Reach 1
    Size +2: Ogres are Size+2
    Thermal Vision: Ogres have the Infravision Monstrous Ability
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Essence: 5/10
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Cards
Edit Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Bodyguard Edge

Post by High Command »

I'd probably allow it if it fit the character concept.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Corrigon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Corrigon »

It doesn't look broken to me and is circumstantially helpful, so I would be alright with it.
GM bennies 6/8
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Kidemonas needs this.

Afterall his name is literally guardian.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Krozog

Post by Krozog »

I'm not planning on taking it. Yet? Maybe at some point, but no plans. This just looked like a cool edge that could work for Savage Rifts for the right character(s).
Krozog, Paladin of Light
Krozog, Ogre Paladin
Pace: 7; Parry: 8(2)
Toughness: 10(0)
  • +2 vs Ranged
  • +2 vs Creatures of Darkness and Flame and their servants.
  • +1 vs damage causing arcane powers.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Bad Eyes: Ogres suffer a -2 on all Trait rolls dealing with anything more than 5” away.
    Battle Hardened: +2 to Soak rolls.
    Big Target: Attackers gain +1 to attack rolls made against Ogres.
    Champion: +2 to damage and +2 to Toughness vs Supernaturally Evil creatures.
    Magical Resistance: +1 Armor vs Damaging magic, +1 to resist opposed magic (friendly spells subtract this modifier)
    Reach: Ogres have Reach 1
    Size +2: Ogres are Size+2
    Thermal Vision: Ogres have the Infravision Monstrous Ability
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Essence: 5/10
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Cards
Edit Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I have two characters that are protectors by nature and could easily see it on them.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Thought I would chime in.

1st here is the slip stream version:

GuARdIAN
Requirements: Novice, Agility d8+, Fighting d6+, Notice d6+
This character might be a professional body-guard or just intensely devoted, but in either case he can jump in front of attacks intended for another. A character with this Edge must declare whom he is guarding at the beginning of any combat. As long as the guardian stays within 1” of the chosen person, any attack aimed at that person is automatically rolled against the guard-ian instead. A guardian can switch charges during a battle, but doing so requires an action as the guardian re–focuses his attention. The character receives a benny each time he takes a wound (not Shaken) while defending another character (Extra or Wild Card) during a specific encounter.

2nd) I would allow either to be chosen if the character came from that setting.

3rd) I would need to see the flavor text of the palladium concept in order to savage it for rifts. Like is this an OCC ability, or RCC ability? A rule in Rifts or Palladium?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

How about a basic trope of fiction? Seriously, why does it have to be Rifts specific to put it in Rifts? That makes no sense. It is not unique to Slip Stream or any setting to have a bodyguard.

I mean I can probably lay my hands on something quickly if pressed, but I don't see a need.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: 3rd) I would need to see the flavor text of the palladium concept in order to savage it for rifts. Like is this an OCC ability, or RCC ability? A rule in Rifts or Palladium?
Palladium simply did not address stuff like this in any way ever.

The system is so different any efforts like this where handled with GM fiat. for example I used to allow my warrior types to use their automatic parry to defend adjacent allies, but in Palladium there was no rule for adjacent as the system did not use maps.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Thought I would chime in.

1st here is the slip stream version:

GuARdIAN
Requirements: Novice, Agility d8+, Fighting d6+, Notice d6+
This character might be a professional body-guard or just intensely devoted, but in either case he can jump in front of attacks intended for another. A character with this Edge must declare whom he is guarding at the beginning of any combat. As long as the guardian stays within 1” of the chosen person, any attack aimed at that person is automatically rolled against the guard-ian instead. A guardian can switch charges during a battle, but doing so requires an action as the guardian re–focuses his attention. The character receives a benny each time he takes a wound (not Shaken) while defending another character (Extra or Wild Card) during a specific encounter.

2nd) I would allow either to be chosen if the character came from that setting.

3rd) I would need to see the flavor text of the palladium concept in order to savage it for rifts. Like is this an OCC ability, or RCC ability? A rule in Rifts or Palladium?
Since a player has requested this in my game, I'm obliged to chime in as well. I don't object to the concept. I like parts of both the original and Pender's suggestions. I'd propose:

Bodyguard
Bodyguards make their living by protecting someone else. This means they not only have to be aware of any potential dangers, but must be able to act quickly and effectively to prevent any harm from coming to their charge.
A character with this Edge gains a +2 bonus to Notice checks made to detect potential ambushes or similar dangers. Additionally, the character may spend a Benny once per round to place himself in the way of any attack (Fighting, Shooting or Throwing) against a person within 1”.
All Fighting rolls are then made against his Parry, and he suffers the effect of any successful attacks. This can be done at any time, regardless of the bodyguard’s Initiative. This costs the Bodyguard their action for the round; any other actions (including fighting, shooting, spellcasting, etc.) incur a MAP, and must be done on their initiative card. If the Bodyguard has already acted for the round, they lose their option to dive in front of the attack.

I don't think it should cost an action to "switch" who they're protecting. I do think it should cost them their action for the round. (Diving in front of a bullet may leave them prone and they have to get back up, etc.) I think it should apply to anyone of their choice within (at most) 2", but I prefer Pender's 1" limitation. 5" is 30 feet. That's a LONG run to dive into the way of a sword thrust or a speeding bullet, and even in a game where dragons can polymorph into house cats and people use magic to fly, is beyond any sense of realism as far as how combat works. 6' is a more realistic limit. You don't see Secret Service agents from 30' away running to stop a bullet. Their charge has already been hit by the time they get there.

I don't think using the edge should grant them a benny. I'd prefer it cost them a benny as in the original post, or at least an Agility check to successfully intervene.
I think the edge can be fine tuned, but I'd be open to it.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I would like any of the three versions. I obviously would prefer the version that does not cost a benny to represent the guy standing over your should always only a small distance away. However they get refined both Kidemonas and Curatrix are protectors by nature. (Especially as their names literally mean Guardian and Protector).

If it is okay i will add it to Curatrix and use whatever version you finalize. (Kidemonas needs to buy up agility before hand.)
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

RFT wrote:I would like any of the three versions. I obviously would prefer the version that does not cost a benny to represent the guy standing over your should always only a small distance away. However they get refined both Kidemonas and Curatrix are protectors by nature. (Especially as their names literally mean Guardian and Protector).

If it is okay i will add it to Curatrix and use whatever version you finalize. (Kidemonas needs to buy up agility before hand.)
I think a successful Agility or Notice roll is reasonable, and we can leave out the cost of a benny. I just don't like the idea of awarding bennies for taking wounds. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
In the interest of expedience, go ahead and add it to his sheet. It fits the concept and purpose of Curatrix. We will find a version that works for me and you.
Not to get too far into the weeds, but if a sniper is taking a shot at Gill from 40+" away, does it make sense to make it a successful Notice roll instead of Agility? The bodyguard has to see the attack coming in order to make the dive. Should it be Notice altogether, ignoring Agility? Both?
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Snake Eyes wrote:
RFT wrote:I would like any of the three versions. I obviously would prefer the version that does not cost a benny to represent the guy standing over your should always only a small distance away. However they get refined both Kidemonas and Curatrix are protectors by nature. (Especially as their names literally mean Guardian and Protector).

I think a successful Agility or Notice roll is reasonable, and we can leave out the cost of a benny. I just don't like the idea of awarding bennies for taking wounds. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
In the interest of expedience, go ahead and add it to his sheet. It fits the concept and purpose of Curatrix. We will find a version that works for me and you.
Not to get too far into the weeds, but if a sniper is taking a shot at Gill from 40+" away, does it make sense to make it a successful Notice roll instead of Agility? The bodyguard has to see the attack coming in order to make the dive. Should it be Notice altogether, ignoring Agility? Both?
That sounds like a Surprise attack so notice -4 or if the target has Danger sense Notice -2. (I do plan on giving it Danger Sense)

PS: Thank you
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Notice fits the bodyguard trope. Reaction time is implicit to the agility requirement.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

BodyGaurd:
Welcome to Rifts Earth where everthing is out to get everyone else. Really only the dedicated or insane sign up to protect those that cannot protect themselves. But the good thing is you do it better than anyone else.
Requirments: Agility d8, Vigor d8, Notice d6, Alertness, novice,
You can dedicate a 2” radius to be your protective zone, any attacks that occur with in that area against allies or civilians go against you. Sadly you have not figured out how to completely protect against area attacks although your presence gives those in the area your radius in armor vs area effect attacks.
You may spend a benny to soak normally if so desired.

Agile Body Gaurd:
Requirments: D10 Agility, D8 Notice, Body Gaurd, Seasoned
Wow, you can seemingly be anywhere at anytime. Increase your protective radius to 5”.

The Legendary BodyGaurd:
Requirments: D12 Vigor, Legendary
You have not survived this long without knowing who to gaurd and how to best gaurd them. Your services require top dollar and you are a true body gaurd that cannot be stopped.
Everytime you successfully soak all the wounds from an attack you gain the benny back you spent on soaking in the first place.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I’d allow either the IZ 2.0 version in the OP or the Slip Stream version Pender posted. They take different approaches to the concept but both appear balanced. I would not mix the two.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:BodyGaurd:
Welcome to Rifts Earth where everthing is out to get everyone else. Really only the dedicated or insane sign up to protect those that cannot protect themselves. But the good thing is you do it better than anyone else.
You can dedicate a 2” radius to be your protective zone, any attacks that occur with in that area against allies or civilians go against you. Sadly you have not figured out how to completely protect against area attacks although your presence gives those in the area your radius in armor vs area effect attacks.

Agile Body Gaurd:
Wow, you can seemingly be anywhere at anytime. Increase your protective radius to 5”.

The Legendary BodyGaurd:
You have not survived this long without knowing who to gaurd and how to best gaurd them. Your services require top dollar and you are a true body gaurd that cannot be stopped.
Everytime you successfully soak all the wounds from an attack you gain the benny back you spent on soaking in the first place.
I actually like the increased requirements of the base Bodyguard. Alertness or Danger Sense makes sense. The original Fighting requirement is superfluous, and can be chopped. I can be persuaded on the 2" range, but I'd still prefer to leave it closer to one guarded target rather than everyone in that range. I'd still like to see an active Notice / Agility roll to successfully intervene. Just because you see the threat coming doesn't mean you can get there in time.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Snake Eyes wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:BodyGaurd:

Agile Body Gaurd:

The Legendary BodyGaurd:
I actually like the increased requirements of the base Bodyguard. Alertness or Danger Sense makes sense. The original Fighting requirement is superfluous, and can be chopped. I can be persuaded on the 2" range, but I'd still prefer to leave it closer to one guarded target rather than everyone in that range. I'd still like to see an active Notice / Agility roll to successfully intervene. Just because you see the threat coming doesn't mean you can get there in time.
Maybe make it opposed rolls?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Lots of thoughts. Many of these came up when I was working on stuff, so I've been editing it for a bit, now. And of course, a monster post happened during that time. *Sigh*

I think it should be Agility to intercept attacks 'that you are aware of'. So that addresses the sniper in the weeds situation in the first place, because the Bodyguard should've already gotten a Notice roll to spot him (with all the usual modifiers, including the +2 from this Edge). If he succeeded in that, then he can make the Agility roll to intercept; if not, then the attacker gets the shot in. This is WHY people use snipers to go after protected targets.
I disagree with Vigor being needed, but have no issue with it requiring Alertness. Fighting as a stand-in for your ability to move in combat still makes sense to me.
Also, I added a bit in below about grenades, because that's a thing anyway.
The Edge should be 'typed'--I'd say as a Professional Edge, by the way it's structured.
Using the Edge should cancel the benefit of Uncanny Reflexes for the Bodyguard, since those work the exact opposite way as this does. Deflection and similar effects are still valid, though.
While I am fine with the idea of 'switching' charges as a free action, I think you do need a declared charge who is the person you're protecting at that time. Conceptually, you just can't be watching in 8 directions at once and be ready to jump in on all of them as needed.
Finally, the one posted above is a bit strange in how it allows for a multi-action if you haven't gone yet, but not if you have. I think that discrepancy should be eliminated, frankly--the Edge uses an action for the round. I'm putting in an option for the character to suffer a MAP, but it also affects the Agility roll for this action.

Bodyguard (Professional Edge)
Whether an oath-sworn defender of a single person (be they a king or just a beloved relative) or a professional bodyguard hired for a gig, the character has trained in the art of intercepting attacks against their charge. This means they not only have to be aware of any potential dangers, but must be able to act quickly and effectively to prevent any harm from coming to their charge.
A character with this Edge gains a +2 bonus to Notice checks made to detect potential ambushes or similar dangers.
Additionally, the character may designate one other character present and adjacent to themselves as their charge when they are first dealt in on initiative (or first go on Hold due to Danger Sense or the like). The character may use their action for the round to make an Agility roll to swap positions with their charge in the case of any attack (Fighting, Shooting or Throwing) they are aware of against their charge. Alternately, they can use this to gain +2 to any attempt to intercept and re-throw a grenade that would catch their charge in the area of effect. (See SWD Page 51.)
All attacks are then resolved normally as if the Bodyguard were the intended target (using his Parry and any appropriate modifiers, but Uncanny Reflexes do NOT apply to the Bodyguard's defense), and they suffer the effect of any successful attacks. This can be done at any time, regardless of the bodyguard’s Initiative.
Using this Edge to intercept an attack is an action. If the Bodyguard wishes to retain the right to use this option later in the round, they must accept a MAP on any other actions they take on their card, and the Agility roll suffers the MAP as well. Likewise, if they use this Edge before their initiative card comes up, they must declare then how severe a MAP they wish to accept for all actions that turn--even if, when their card comes up, they wind up not wishing to take that many actions after all, they still suffer the full MAP on all actions.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Freemage wrote:Lots of thoughts. Many of these came up when I was working on stuff, so I've been editing it for a bit, now. And of course, a monster post happened during that time. *Sigh*

I think it should be Agility to intercept attacks 'that you are aware of'. So that addresses the sniper in the weeds situation in the first place, because the Bodyguard should've already gotten a Notice roll to spot him (with all the usual modifiers, including the +2 from this Edge). If he succeeded in that, then he can make the Agility roll to intercept; if not, then the attacker gets the shot in. This is WHY people use snipers to go after protected targets.
I disagree with Vigor being needed, but have no issue with it requiring Alertness. Fighting as a stand-in for your ability to move in combat still makes sense to me.
Also, I added a bit in below about grenades, because that's a thing anyway.
The Edge should be 'typed'--I'd say as a Professional Edge, by the way it's structured.
Using the Edge should cancel the benefit of Uncanny Reflexes for the Bodyguard, since those work the exact opposite way as this does. Deflection and similar effects are still valid, though.
While I am fine with the idea of 'switching' charges as a free action, I think you do need a declared charge who is the person you're protecting at that time. Conceptually, you just can't be watching in 8 directions at once and be ready to jump in on all of them as needed.
Finally, the one posted above is a bit strange in how it allows for a multi-action if you haven't gone yet, but not if you have. I think that discrepancy should be eliminated, frankly--the Edge uses an action for the round. I'm putting in an option for the character to suffer a MAP, but it also affects the Agility roll for this action.

Bodyguard (Professional Edge)
Whether an oath-sworn defender of a single person (be they a king or just a beloved relative) or a professional bodyguard hired for a gig, the character has trained in the art of intercepting attacks against their charge. This means they not only have to be aware of any potential dangers, but must be able to act quickly and effectively to prevent any harm from coming to their charge.
A character with this Edge gains a +2 bonus to Notice checks made to detect potential ambushes or similar dangers.
Additionally, the character may designate one other character present and adjacent to themselves as their charge when they are first dealt in on initiative (or first go on Hold due to Danger Sense or the like). The character may use their action for the round to make an Agility roll to swap positions with their charge in the case of any attack (Fighting, Shooting or Throwing) they are aware of against their charge. Alternately, they can use this to gain +2 to any attempt to intercept and re-throw a grenade that would catch their charge in the area of effect. (See SWD Page 51.)
All attacks are then resolved normally as if the Bodyguard were the intended target (using his Parry and any appropriate modifiers, but Uncanny Reflexes do NOT apply to the Bodyguard's defense), and they suffer the effect of any successful attacks. This can be done at any time, regardless of the bodyguard’s Initiative.
Using this Edge to intercept an attack is an action. If the Bodyguard wishes to retain the right to use this option later in the round, they must accept a MAP on any other actions they take on their card, and the Agility roll suffers the MAP as well. Likewise, if they use this Edge before their initiative card comes up, they must declare then how severe a MAP they wish to accept for all actions that turn--even if, when their card comes up, they wind up not wishing to take that many actions after all, they still suffer the full MAP on all actions.
Though I worded it poorly, your last paragraph about MAPs is what I was trying to get across. You phrased it MUCH better than I did.
Declaring a charge / switching a charge makes sense. That's why I wasn't in favor of all attacks in a 2" or greater range automatically targeting the Bodyguard instead. Free action to switch is fine by me.
I think this looks pretty good and I'd approve it for use in my game. Only thing I'd even think about adding is the Alertness edge as a requirement.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies: