Savage Mind Bleeder

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Savage Mind Bleeder

Post by Venatus Vinco »

COMMENTARY
So the Mind Bleeder has been on my mind for a while, mostly because they make worthy bad guys and enforcers. Like many psychic races in Rifts they are more like a race-plus, thus requiring a full racial Iconic Framework (similar to a dragon but not as powerful) to jam in all the powers and abilities. As a rule of thumb, I am seeing that if a “race” in Palladium Rifts cannot take an OCC then it is most likely requires a racial Iconic Framework, as opposed to using positive and negative racial abilities.

In the source material Mind Bleeders introduced a new power set called “Mind Bleeder Powers”. Reading through them most can be accomplished by appropriate trappings on Savage Worlds Powers or Mega Powers. However, to give some of the unique feel I added some Iconic Edges that give some focus and mastery to mental manipulation and memory alteration. Most of these edges are simply options from Mind Control or Mind Reading in the Super Powers Companion. Thus, they function similarly to the Psi-Blade and Telemechanics edges that add to or alter the use of an existing power.

To Savage the Mind Bleeder I used the Mind Melter as a base template. One advantage to the Mind Melter is that it is so vanilla that it makes a great basic framework for powerful psychics with lots of room to add flavour and unique abilities (which probably means a Mind Melter needs some flavour and unique abilities to be truly an “iconic” framework).

The biggest departure is in draining I.S.P. I gave the bleeder the ability to not only drain and retain power points (TLPG page 121) but to do so in the same manner and at the same rate as a magic user on a ley line (TLPG 119). Meaning they can drain and store a lot of I.S.P. for a much longer period.
MIND BLEEDER
Originally seen in the Mediterranean and Africa, Mind Bleeders are a race of powerful psychic d-bees known for their ability to manipulate the human mind. While almost completely human looking, with tan complexion and dark features, they can be easily spotted once they begin using their abilities. When using powers a network of deep blue veins on their forehead, temples, and face begin to pulsate and throb. Scientific studies have shown microscopic hemorrhaging of blood vessels in the brain of those who have been in mental contact with a bleeder, given literal credence to their name.

CAN I PICK YOUR BRAIN?
Mind Bleeders are renowned for their ability to retrieve information and manipulate minds. Unscrupulous bleeders are used by criminal organizations, the Splugorth, and the Federation of Magic as spies, enforcers, and assassins. Even Triax and the NGR have been known to contract Mind Bleeders for espionage operations. For many Mind Bleeders this is perfectly natural as they are raised in small family clans and villages that teach them to use their powers instinctively for gain over others. They do maintain a certain level of respect for other members of their race and will not work against each other unless provoked. Blood feuds between Mind Bleeders can be vicious affairs.

As a result of their nature most people view Mind Bleeders with suspicion and fear akin to Mind Melters. In the psychic community they are considered parasites and are shunned. Even those who try to live a better calling still face the stigma associated with their race. However, these well intentioned individuals can be a powerful force for good. Their ability to heal brain injury, restore memory, and lessen the impact of trauma give the them opportunity to be healers. Then again, even the good guys sometimes need to get information and having a Mind Bleeder around is preferable to torture.

Mind Bleeders have the following list of powers for the Psionics Arcane Background:
armor, barrier, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, clairvoyance, conceal arcana, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, disguise, dispel, divination, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fear, fly, havoc, healing, illusion, intangibility, invisibility, mind reading, pummel, puppet, slow, slumber, smite, speak language, stun, telekinesis, telepathy, teleport, warrior’s gift.

HERO’S JOURNEY (FOUR ROLLS)
Mind Bleeders get three rolls on any of the following tables: Enchanted Items & Mystic Gadgets, Experience & Wisdom, or Psionics. They also get one additional roll on any table except Cybernetics or Magic & Mysticism.

MIND BLEEDER ABILITIES & BONUSES
  • Arcane Background (Psionics): Mind Bleeders are powerful psychics. They begin with five powers from the list above, 20 ISP, and a d8 Psionics skill.
  • Expanded Awareness: Mind Bleeders can use detect arcana at will, as a free action for no I.S.P. cost.
  • Major Psionic: Mind Bleeders have the Major Psionic Edge and can spend 2 ISP to gain a +1 with any Psionic skill roll, or 4 ISP for a +2 (paid before the roll is made). These effects are doubled when on a ley line. Each time they take the Power Points Edge, they gain +10 ISP (instead of 5).
  • Mind Bleed: Mind Bleeders can drain I.S.P. from others psychics as an action. The bleeder can drain victims from a distance up to their Smarts die using a Psionics roll versus the target’s Spirit. With a success, the bleeder drains the result of her Psionics roll from the target. Drained ISP are added to the bleeder’s total. The Mind Bleeder can add drained I.S.P. to her pool up to twice her normal amount - like a magic user at a ley line! This stolen I.S.P. dissipates at a rate of one per hour. This only works for I.S.P. not P.P.E.
  • Master Manipulators: Mind Bleeders are masters of mind control. Their frequent toying with human minds gives them a +2 on any opposed Psionics roll, whether they are using their powers against a foe or are trying to defend against a rival psychic (does not stack with Mentalist edge).
MIND BLEEDER COMPLICATIONS
  • Cybernetics: Simply not a good option for a Mind Bleeder, as they interfere too much with his powers. If circumstances force a bionic addition, each point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty to the Psionics skill.
  • Social Stigma: The Coalition considers Mind Bleeders to be extremely dangerous and are to be destroyed on sight. People are generally paranoid around a Mind Bleeder and they suffer -2 Charisma when their nature is known. Additionally, Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys see the Mind Bleeder as a natural enemy and are instinctively suspicious and aggressive toward them. Mind Bleeders suffer -4 Charisma (total) when dealing with either of these two races.
  • Flamboyant: Mind Bleeders see themselves as superior to other races and psychics. They can’t help but flaunt their abilities and use them to gain an advantage whenever possible. This penchant for the dramatic often means they will make a scene even when subtly is preferred.
  • Dimensional Being: Mind Bleeders are a race of psychics from another dimension and they do not choose a race
TO SURVIVE AND THRIVE - THE MIND BLEEDER
  • Your hero is a master manipulator. Take advantage of the specializations available in order to influence the outcome of a situation before a fight ever occurs.
  • Mind Bleeders are not front line combatants and prefer to “pull the strings” of others to do their dirty work. Confusion, chaos, and subterfuge will help you win the day.
  • Draining I.S.P. is a quick way to take other psychics out of the fight. Take advantage of this powerful ability to shut down and neutralize psychic opponents - then use their I.S.P. against them!
ICONIC EDGES
Mind Bond
Requirements: Seasoned, Psionics d10, telepathy or puppet
While using telepathy or puppet (choose one) the Mind Bleeder can spend 3 I.S.P. to see, hear, taste, touch, and feel through the senses of someone she’s in contact with. This requires absolute concentration, so no other actions are possible while doing so. This edge can be taken twice, once for telepathy and once for puppet.

Bleed Aura
Requirements: Seasoned, Psionics d8, conceal arcana
When using conceal arcana the Mind Bleeder can spend 2 I.S.P. to steal the aura of another person or creature making the bleeder appear to have those abilities and qualities when seen with detect arcana. To bleed an aura the Mind Bleeder makes an opposed Psionics roll against the victim’s Spirit.

Bleed Memory
Requirements: Veteran, Psionics d10, puppet
For an additional 2 I.S.P., the bleeder can manipulate the victim’s memory so he cannot remember what he did while under the influence of puppet. For 4 I.S.P., the bleeder can alter the target’s memories so he believes he did something else entirely during that time. Altering memory requires an opposed Psionics rolls versus the victim’s Smarts.

Memory Manipulation
Requirements: Heroic, Psionics d12, Master Psionics, mind reading
When using the mind reading power the mind bleeder can not only read memories but also alter and repair them by spending an additional 3 I.S.P. This requires an opposed Smarts roll. If successful, the character can remove a short memory. With a raise the bleeder can completely change the memory or remove a longer memory (up to an hour).

If repairing a memory (one changed due to this power, mind control, or perhaps lost to trauma), the mind bleeder recovers a short memory or a part of a longer one (5 minutes maximum again) on a success, or the entire lost memory on a raise.

If the memory was altered by someone else, the mind bleeder is opposed by the Smarts of the one who changed it. The target may roll his own Smarts as a Cooperative Roll to either side of the contest (depending on whether he wants to reveal or keep the original memory hidden).
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Savage Mind Bleeder

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Martino “The Greek” Markides
Race: Mind Bleeder
Iconic Framework: Mind Bleeder
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d10, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -2*; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (3); Strain: 0
*-4 with Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys

Skills:
  • Psionics d10
  • Intimidation d10
  • Streetwise d8
  • Taunt d8
  • Notice d6
  • Driving d6
  • Fighting d6

Hindrances & Complications
  • Overconfident (Major): Firmly believes abilities and cunning will protect him.
  • Wanted (Minor): NGR Intelligence has an active file open on him.
  • Enemy (Minor): There is the matter of that Splugorth High Lord who didn’t like having his mind controlled
  • Cybernetics: Each point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty to the Psionics skill.
  • Social Stigma: The Coalition considers Mind Bleeders to be extremely dangerous and are to be destroyed on sight. Even most people are paranoid around a Mind Bleeder and they suffer -2 Charisma when their nature is known. Additionally, Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys see the Mind Bleeder as a natural enemy and are instinctively suspicious and aggressive toward them. Mind Bleeders suffer -4 Charisma (total) when dealing with either of these two races.
  • Flamboyant: Mind Bleeders see themselves as superior to other races and psychics. They can’t help but flaunt their abilities and use them to gain an advantage whenever possible. This penchant for the dramatic often means they will make a scene even when subtly is preferred.
  • Dimensional Being: Mind Bleeders are a race of psychics from another dimension and they do not choose a race

Edges & Abilities
  • Expanded Awareness: detect arcana as a free action for no I.S.P. cost.
  • Major Psionic: Spend 2 ISP to gain a +1 with any Psionic skill roll, or 4 ISP for a +2 (paid before the roll is made). These effects are doubled when on a ley line. Each time they take the Power Points Edge, they gain +10 ISP (instead of 5)
  • Mind Bleed: Mind Bleeders can drain I.S.P. from others psychics as an action. The bleeder can drain victims from a distance up to their Smarts die using a Psionics roll versus the target’s Spirit. With a success, the bleeder drains the result of her Psionics roll from the target. Drained ISP are added to the bleeder’s total. The Mind Bleeder can add drained I.S.P. to her pool up to twice her normal amount - like a magic user at a ley line! This stolen I.S.P. dissipates at a rate of one per hour. This only works for I.S.P. not P.P.E.
  • Master Manipulator: Mind Bleeders are masters of mind control. Their frequent toying with human minds gives them a +2 on any opposed Psionics roll, whether they are using their powers against a foe or are trying to defend against a rival psychic (does not stack with Mentalist edge).
  • Danger Sense: Notice -2 to detect danger and start on Hold.
  • Empathy: Can determine the general emotional state of another being within Smarts range by making an opposed Spirit check. On a raise, she can tell if another character is lying or being evasive in a conversation
  • Empathic Transmission: +2 on all Intimidation and Persuasion checks, as well as +2 when using fear power.
  • Master Psionic: Access to Mega powers.
  • Mind Bond: +3 I.S.P. to see, hear, taste, touch, and feel through the senses of someone she’s in telepathic contact with
  • Elan: +2 when using a benny to re-roll a Trait roll
Powers
Arcane Background: Psionics
PPE/ISP: 20 Recovery: 1/hour
Opposed Rolls
Opposed Psionics rolls are +2 due to Master Manipulator ability. If using ISP to boost this goes up to +3 (2 ISP) or +4 (4 ISP). If on a ley line this goes to +4/+6. If using a benny (Elan) increases to +5/+6 (+6/+8 on a ley line)
Mind Control [Puppet] (3) [Veteran]
  • Range: Smarts
  • Duration: 3 (1/round)
  • Trapping: Bulging blue veins on head when using powers.
  • Effect:Take control of another person (Psionics vs. Spirit)

Telepathy [Telepathy] (2) [Novice]
  • Range: 1 mile
  • Trapping:Bulging blue veins on head when using powers.
  • Effect: Communicate mentally with others (if opposed then Psionics vs. Spirit)

Brain Scan [Mind Reading] (3) [Novice]
  • Duration: 1
  • Trapping: Bulging blue veins on head when using powers.
  • Effect: Gain one truthful answer (Opposed roll Psionics vs. Smarts)

Bio-Manipulation [Boost/Lower Trait] (2) [Novice]
  • Trapping:
  • Effect: Raise Trait by 1 die type, 2 with a raise or reduce attribute by 1 die type, 2 with a raise (Opposed roll Psionics vs. Spirit). +1 I.S.P. per additional target (max 5)

Brain Bleed [Bolt] (1 per bolt) [Novice]
  • Range: 12/24/48
  • Duration: Instant
  • Trapping: This bolts attack the mind as well as the body. On a raise the target has to make a Vigor roll or suffer a sharp painful headache and be at –2 Parry until his next action.
  • Effect: 2d6 bolt, +2 ISP to create a 3d5 bolt. 3 bolts can be fired for 3 ISP.

Voices in Your Head [Fear] (2) [Novice]
  • Range: Smarts x 2
  • Duration: Instant
  • Trapping: Target hears disturbing voices and messages in their head. No one else can hear what they hear. At its worst this power can literally scare someone to death! If the target is Shaken, the voices seem so loud the target suffers a -2 penalty to hearing-based Notice rolls for the target until they unshake.
  • Effect: Large burst template must make a fear check, -2 on a raise. Wild Cards roll on Fear table, extras become panicked.
  • Note: +2 to Psionics roll when using this power
Background
Information is power. At least is is for Martino Markides. Having grown up in the Mediterranean region of Rifts Earth Martino made a living working as an information broker peddling secrets between the NGR and the Phoenix Empire. Of course, when you play both sides you eventually get burned. After narrowly escaping an NGR Intelligence sting in Cyprus, where he is still wanted for questioning by authorities, Markides paid his way onto a Horune pirate ship heading for Atlantis. Proving himself an able pirate, and an even better interrogator, the Mind Bleeder disembarked at the city of Splynn with his past behind him and money in his pocket, until his Horune buddies tried selling him to the Splugorth as a slave. It was only by bending a High Lord to his will that Martino was able to avoid a life of slavery, and not without ruffling a few feathers. Having burned every bridge on three continents, North America seemed like the only safe play. With his knowledge of the world, and unique abilities, Martino easily got a job doing a little work on the side for the Chicago Network arm of the Black Market.

Markides has slowly been working his way up the ranks of the Black Market and was tapped with a chance to be part of a new expansion into Arkansas. Now Martino serves as the right hand man of Gilbert Fairchild, Captain of the Razorback Crew. In this role her ferrets out moles, spies on the Coalition in Fort Eldorado and the Tomorrow Legion at Castle Refuge. Through Intimidation, extortion, mind control, and many other dirty tricks he maintains a network of spies and informants throughout the Arkansas territory.
Gear
  • TW Shadow Cloak
  • Ley Line Walker Light Armor
  • Communications Band
  • Draining Blade
  • NG-S2 Survival Kit
Advances

Hero’s Journey
  • Psionics (19): Many psionics develop a powerful presence that aids them in influencing and unnerving others. Your hero gains +2 on all Intimidation and Persuasion checks. As well, if he has the fear power, he gains +2 when using it. (Empathic Transmission)
  • Experience & Wisdom (7): She always gets a strange tingling in the back of her neck when things are about to go all pear-shaped. She’s seen enough trouble to know when it’s coming. Your character has the Danger Sense Edge.
  • Table (19): Psychic awareness leads many to the ability to sense the feelings of others. This empathy allows your psionic to determine the general emotional state of another being within Smarts range by making an opposed Spirit check. On a raise, she can tell if another character is lying or being evasive in a conversation. (Empathy)
  • Training (6): Part of your character’s extensive training including full understanding of a particular occupation or area of focus. You may give her one Professional Edge, ignoring requirements, subject to the GM’s approval (Master Psionic).

Advances
  • Initial Advances: (From Hindrances): Bleed Memory, +1 Smarts
  • Novice 1 Advance: Fear
  • Novice 2 Advance: +1 Spirit
  • Novice 3 Advance: +1 Intimidation, +1 Streetwise
  • Seasoned 1 Advance: Mind Bond (telepathy)
  • Seasoned 2 Advance: Elan
  • Seasoned 3 Advance:
  • Seasoned 4 Advance:
  • Veteran 1 Advance:
  • Veteran 2 Advance:
  • Veteran 3 Advance:
  • Veteran 4 Advance:
  • Heroic 1 Advance:
  • Heroic 2 Advance:
  • Heroic 3 Advance:
  • Heroic 4 Advance:
  • Legendary 1 Advance:
  • Legendary 2 Advance:
  • Legendary 3 Advance:
  • Legendary 4 Advance:
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Savage Mind Bleeder

Post by Ndreare »

Cool
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades