Vices as Hindrances?

Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Vices as Hindrances?

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Blades in the Dark wrote:Choose your vice
Every scoundrel is in thrall to some vice or another, which they indulge to deal
with stress. Choose a vice from the list, and describe it on the line above with
the specific details and the name and location of your vice purveyor in the city.
For example, you might choose Gambling, then write Spogg’s dice game, Crow’s
Foot. You can create a vice purveyor or ask the GM to tell you about a couple
likely options for your vice. See a detailed list of vice purveyors on page 299.
Faith: You’re dedicated to an unseen power, forgotten god, ancestor, etc.
Gambling: You crave games of chance, betting on sporting events, etc.
Luxury: Expensive or ostentatious displays of opulence.
Obligation: You’re devoted to a family, a cause, an organization, a charity, etc.
Pleasure: Gratification from lovers, food, drink, drugs, art, theater, etc.
Stupor: You seek oblivion in the abuse of drugs, drinking to excess, getting
beaten to a pulp in the fighting pits, etc.
Weird: You experiment with strange essences, consort with rogue spirits,
observe bizarre rituals or taboos, etc.
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Re: Vices as Hindrances?

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

I am loking to use Vices in my Black Market campaigns. I need to find valid equivelant hindrances.
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Hindrance (Vice) - can be Major or Minor. Choose one of these seven (Arcane, Faith, Gambling, Luxury, Obligation, Pleasure, and Stupor). This vice is how the character deals with stress. Describe the vice and the purveyor of your vice.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Seems like a Habit or Quirk to me? I mean you can define a variation on a Vow even. I mean don't get me wrong, because of that, this is wholly viable, but it seems to lack any teeth. Even Quirk can affect Charisma in the right circumstance.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Oh the is definite consequences.

for example if you have a gambling vice people will not trust you with cash. And your wealth will frequently fluctuate (usually down).

I can see these as minor or major depending on how they end up.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

High Command wrote:Seems like a Habit or Quirk to me? I mean you can define a variation on a Vow even. I mean don't get me wrong, because of that, this is wholly viable, but it seems to lack any teeth. Even Quirk can affect Charisma in the right circumstance.
I thought the same thing, initially. I guess getting to the "teethy" part is where it needs to go next.
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

RFT wrote:Oh the is definite consequences.

for example if you have a gambling vice people will not trust you with cash. And your wealth will frequently fluctuate (usually down).

I can see these as minor or major depending on how they end up.
Vices would be both narrative and mechanical. They generally occur in the downtime and as a way to left of steam and relax. Easily usable in interlude situations.

One thing about a vice, is if it is not taken care off regularly, a player can lose their character because of it. Vices can be worked through and over come. Vices can get worse.

Vices as Hindrances become a lot more realistic, imho, than normal hindrances, which may or may not have an impact on a PC during the life ofthe character.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I dunno, I tend to roleplay my hindrances in damn near every post. Getting a Benny for them is hyper rare. Bennies from other sources, sure (in abundance) - but actually from Hindrances, nah.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

High Command wrote:I dunno, I tend to roleplay my hindrances in damn near every post. Getting a Benny for them is hyper rare. Bennies from other sources, sure (in abundance) - but actually from Hindrances, nah.
Seems at least one of your GMs just dumped a pile of bennies in your lap for your hindrence role play.

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... 692#p39175
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Well you're also an awesome GM :P It's not anyone's fault. Hell I complain about it, but I do the EXACT SAME THING. A good writer will work it in - because they've chosen it. but we GMs see it so often, we don't think to award it for that. Why, we can do things like push them to expand the story (Make up a NPC to add to the fray was awesome btw) or give everyone an equal chance, that way we're not having to do the hard work of literally addressing a group full of good roleplayers who are all addressing their hindrances well.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Appreciate the views and thoughts.

Return to “Archive”