MARS Street Level Super Hero

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

MARS Street Level Super Hero

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Thoughts in this MARS variant from Dustin Smit on Savage Rifts Google Plus page?
Savage Intern wrote:M.A.R.S. Street Level Super Hero
Anti-Heroes, unlucky clods, and friendly neighborhood defenders these supers aren't demigods.
While experienced Four Color Supers are glorious powerhouses of a bygone era these flawed characters provide both a gritty backstory and a flexible power set.

Hero's Journey: 3 rolls on any tables, except Magic & Mysticism and Psionics. Unless the power-points edge is taken during creation Techno-Wizard equipment is unusable due to a lack of PPE and or ISP.

M.A.R.S. fortune and Glory Table: 3 rolls

Seasoned: begin play at Seasoned Rank with 4 advances as a normal M.A.R.S. character.

Innate Power: In conjunction with being a M.A.R.S. character the Player Character gains the Arcane Background Super Powers from the Super Powers Companion. The character is Street Fighter Power Point Build, starting with 30 Power Points and a Power Limit of 10.

Anti-Heroes: Street Level Heroes aren't paragons of virtue, they have to make hard choices and people get hurt. Characters do not have access to the Super Karma rule.

Comic Book Backstory: Super heroes can take the edges and hindrances from the Super Powers Companion, such as The Best There Is, Team Player, and Terminally Ill.

Mystically Flexible: Supers cannot use traditional magic or psionics based powers, but may take the Point-points edge during character creation in order to utilize Techno-Wizard devices.

Simplified Aesthetics: Supers can be any race, but they must be Human for purposes of character creation. To simplify, consider taking the Alien Form or Distinct Appearance during creation.

Cybernetics Edge: Street Level Supers can get cybernetics installed as normal and are subject to the strain penalties of a regular human. They may not take the Upgradable Edge or Beyond the Limit

Gear: Choose one gear package from any other Iconic Framework (including other M.A.R.S. packages).
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: MARS Street Level Super Hero

Post by Ndreare »

I would say if stacking on-top of the Normal MARS I would only give 15/5 power points.

With 30/10 you are making this a little too powerful i think and going the opposite of the already used on site Super Powers which is 45/15 with no HJ rolls, no F&G rolls and no Exp.

That having been said, I would totally want to play one of these. I love super hero types and would jump in a minute on the opportunity.

ValhallaGH had a balanced and well written but simple Super Hero framework. Although it was not street level.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

RFT wrote: ValhallaGH had a balanced and well written but simple Super Hero framework. Although it was not street level.
Can you link to it?

I agree with the downward point adjustment. There's something about the gritty street fighter that feels more "Rifts" to me than a straight up 45 point full colour hero.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Venatus Vinco wrote:
RFT wrote: ValhallaGH had a balanced and well written but simple Super Hero framework. Although it was not street level.
Can you link to it?

I agree with the downward point adjustment. There's something about the gritty street fighter that feels more "Rifts" to me than a straight up 45 point full colour hero.

VV
http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 63#p455963
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

My comments from Hangouts:

30/10 is way too much of they’re keeping the MARS xp, HJ and F&G. The best MARS packages are only worth about 10 points, so I’d do 10/5, or 15/5 with the addition of a drawback or two. I also probably would not allow them to take Power Points to use TW, and cybernetic strain should reduce their available points for powers.

After thinking about it a bit, I think I’d allow individual powers to go up to 10 or even 15, so you could have characters with one decent power instead of several minor ones. Altogether, I think it would be a nice option alongside our existing 40/45 pt superhero framework and ARES.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

How about making them Street Fighters with the Rising Stars rule? They start at 10 SPCPP (Super Power Companion Power Points), but could theoretically dump all their Points into one Power at the start if they want to throw down on a single area of expertise. Then they'd be eligible to take the SPC Power Points Edge, once per Rank, to gain additional super powers (but no single Power could ever be over 10 points, or 15 w/ Best There Is).

One of the big issues with Supers vs. other characters is that they're very front-loaded--they get all their boom up-front, but then they don't have a whole lot of development afterwards. Rising Stars addresses both halves of that issue. It sets them balanced against the other MARS frameworks at start, but then allows them to progress from that point if they wish, in a manner at least similar to other ABs.

However, I also wouldn't let them take the 'normal' Power Points Edge. They could theoretically use some TW gear, but it would need an internal supply of PPE to charge or use Powers, and would need to use a non-Arcane skill to activate any Powers.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

You could allow them to use Super Sorcery to build up a PPE pool for a few powers.

The other alternative is to go the Burster method where not every upgrade option is baked in. Allow them a PP pool and they can keep some as a PPE pool and upgrade on the fly with a few issues. I'll sketch this out more clearly later, but that may be enough to inspire some folks.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote:How about making them Street Fighters with the Rising Stars rule? They start at 10 SPCPP (Super Power Companion Power Points), but could theoretically dump all their Points into one Power at the start if they want to throw down on a single area of expertise. Then they'd be eligible to take the SPC Power Points Edge, once per Rank, to gain additional super powers (but no single Power could ever be over 10 points, or 15 w/ Best There Is).

One of the big issues with Supers vs. other characters is that they're very front-loaded--they get all their boom up-front, but then they don't have a whole lot of development afterwards. Rising Stars addresses both halves of that issue. It sets them balanced against the other MARS frameworks at start, but then allows them to progress from that point if they wish, in a manner at least similar to other ABs.

However, I also wouldn't let them take the 'normal' Power Points Edge. They could theoretically use some TW gear, but it would need an internal supply of PPE to charge or use Powers, and would need to use a non-Arcane skill to activate any Powers.
I think this is a really good idea and another one I would love to play.

High Command wrote:You could allow them to use Super Sorcery to build up a PPE pool for a few powers.
!!! I thought you hated SS?
I would allow it.
Heck I would allow an Edge called "Arcane Training" that allows non-AB characters to use TW devices.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Oooo, yeah, +1 to Soren's idea RE Street Fighters/Rising Stars.
GM Bennies: 7/7
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

RFT wrote:
High Command wrote:You could allow them to use Super Sorcery to build up a PPE pool for a few powers.
!!! I thought you hated SS?
I would allow it.
Heck I would allow an Edge called "Arcane Training" that allows non-AB characters to use TW devices.
Nah, I think it's needlessly complex, but as a means of allowing a pool of powers and PPE to power them (and TW gear), I'm okay with someone else having to figure it out. In general I think the core ABs are better designed.

but the more I'm looking at the Burster style option, I think a certain amount of points for powers, and a certain amount for PPE. You spend that PPE modifying the power. Adding MD to a Ranged attack costs PPE equal to the SPCPP modifier.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I say rebuild this with Soren's idea and put it up in the house Rules for voting.

I would be 100% approve today and then begging to make one.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

I'm not making any house rules.

Although I am attempting to build one in supporting cast...one thing I am finding with the SPC is you have to have a concept or you'll get lost in all the options.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Venatus Vinco wrote:I'm not making any house rules.

Although I am attempting to build one in supporting cast...one thing I am finding with the SPC is you have to have a concept or you'll get lost in all the options.

VV
Go read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

PS: Ken and Robin Talk About stuff actually talk about this is game design not to long ago and I think it is the thing that kills Hero System. Players get so tired in character creation they do not want to keep going. When i introduce people I give them pre-gens and run from there. Then they love it.
Games
Games provide a microcosm for decision-making where there can be adversaries, hidden or missing information, random events, complex options, and consequences. In this context, analysis paralysis denotes a state where a player is so overwhelmed by aspects of the decision tree that he or she faces that the player's turn takes an inordinate amount of time. This can be compounded in a losing position where the player is exhaustively searching for a win or purposely stalling to prevent officially losing the game. The connotation is often pejorative, implying that the slowing of the game diminished the enjoyment by other players.[17] Some games explicitly add time deadlines (e.g. with a chess clock or egg timer). In chess this slowing of play is referred to as Kotov Syndrome and, in timed chess matches, can result in time trouble. Good game design can reduce the likelihood of analysis paralysis in gameplay.[18] Game design itself can also be susceptible to analysis paralysis.[19]
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Found the Ken & Robin on it.

It is the third "Hut" or third spot in the four spot show.
http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.co ... ter-death/
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades