Day 8: The Widening Gyre

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Rill and Blurre leave for the ley line as dawn breaks, accompanied by Alesmai and two of the Marronite men, who gently place Aector's linen-wrapped body in the Sky Siren. The trip takes just under two hours; when you disembark beneath the blue light of the ley line, the last of the morning dew has evaporated, and the day is bright and dry as old bones.

Laying Aector's body on the dusty ground, Rill kneels. He keeps his prayer simple, and direct: He asks only that his Lord hear his plea, and consider giving this man, his family and his community some portion of the life that had been taken.

Outwardly, all is silence and stillness. There is no thunderbolt, no voice from on high. But Rill is struck by a piercing cold, a throbbing pain, a crackling fire, as something passes through him, emptying him, only to be refilled by the energy of the ley line. There is darkness, and light, and then ... peace.

A stray breeze sends a swirl of spinning dust over Aector's body, scattering his linens. With a sudden, wracking cough his corpse seems to inhale the cyclone. Then he sits straight up, eyes flying open as his blood-crusted tunic falls open, revealing unmarked flesh where there had been only ruin.

His eyes fall on Alesmai and he smiles.

"I have found you, my wife," he says. "I walked in a vale of shadow, surrounded by rock and wind with no heat. And then a shepherd came, robed in light, and led me through the dark places to return to you."

He looks around, spotting Rill, and reaches a hand out to touch the preacher. "I know your voice, healer, even though you do not speak, and I am grateful for your call. You have shared your faith with me, and I will do the same. When we return, I will lead you into our sacred place, so you can see what it is that sustains us, and holds us to that place."

"Well now, that there is, technically, a weapon ... I, uh, suppose," Jack says, inspecting the battered ion pistol the Marronite child holds so proudly. "I reckon it's held together with spit and wishful thinking, but it'll shoot ... probably."

The rest of the weapons salvaged from the Blue Hand barracks aren't much better, though there are e-clips aplenty. Combined with the spare weaponry stashed in the back of the Sky Siren, and the shooters they'd taken off of Dutch's gang, Jack reckons there's enough guns to arm one in five of the Marronites.

He smiles and pats the boy on the head. "Now you scoot and mind your mama, and we'll commence to shooting this afternoon. Just a little practice, and y'all be pulling triggers like you'd had sixguns in the womb."

He keeps the smile on his face until the boy is out of sight, then lets it fall. The kids had proved the easiest to talk to, having picked up a mite more American than the adults. They'd had a habit of sneaking, too, and counting the low-down snakes that had been oppressing them these past months.

What they had to share hadn't done much to lift his spirits, though. Seems like those Blue Hand Raiders weren't fond of walking, so everyone to the last was mounted in some way, lots of 'em on robot horses or hovercycles, but just as many in big wheeled war-buggies tricked out with guns and blades and flame-throwing buzzsaws. The kids said they also had a fair few power armors like the one worn by dear departed Oso, but only a half dozen or so capable of flight. And if he and the kid were on the same page, sounded like the Blue Hand had themselves a giant walking robot or two, as well.

Orrin and Kim turn up less depressing news. Kim's inventory of the town's defenses shows that the four turrets -- each one mounting dual-linked light rail guns, with ammo to spare -- could be easily enough to slave to the control deck in the barracks. Alternatively, she could patch them into the skelebot sensor system strung around the walls, then program some simple target-recognition protocols to automate them altogether. Either way she's looking at half a days work. And that's on top of the 50 or so explosive charges she's salvaged from the bomb-collars, which could be used as crude grenades or even land mines.

Orrin, meanwhile, determines that while the Marronites' radioactive metabolism seems to have no practical use in combat, a dozen or so youngsters seem to have an affinity for traditional magic. With a little time, he should be able to train them to assist with ritual magic in the event of the Blue Hand's arrival.

Duncan, meanwhile, mounts up early in the morning, accompanied by Severianna, who lays claim to Keegan's old hovercycle in exchange for the Siren.

"I ain't leavin' ya to twist in the wind, I promise. But I can't sit around, waiting for them Blue Hand bastards, neither. Them Lin-Cereals live a ways out west of here, in this city they call Truth-Sally. It's in the Grand Canyon, leastways what used to be the Grand Canyon, only it looks pretty different since all the 'issuing forth' got started. It's a four day ride, but me and Sev is gonna try to make it in three, and bring back some of the Lin-Cereal to help. I promise we will, cross my heart and pinkie swear."

On the way back to Marron, Rill pulls his hat low and leans back in his seat in the Sky Siren, the smooth pulse of the hover-jets vibrating softly beneath him. As he does, he lets his thoughts for another prayer, this time for guidance, and vision of their enemy's approach.

Slowly, his mind's eye is filled with images. He sees vultures circling over sand dunes to the north, thermals rising off ground in visible waves. The birds make no sound, but suddenly dispersed, alarmed as a vast form stirs below.

A rough, lion-like beast rises from the sand, shaped of basalt and shadow. Its vast head turns south and it begins to walk, gathering speed. The sun spins overhead, plunging Rill's view into darkness, then back to light once, twice ... 10 times, it goes around, before the monstrous thing approaches Marron from the north ... as it does, Rill sees it reach one black claw to the ley line, siphoning its power. As it reaches Marron's walls, he sees that within the shadows stretched over the beasts frame are men, snarling and screaming. Men with blue hands stamped on their faces and hearts, riding metal chariots of war. At their head, an armored man with the eyes of a serpent, and a woman, clad in black armor.

Ten days, a voice whispers in his mind. Ten days, my son, before death comes to Marron.

Lots to chew on there. Next post will be a journey into the Marronites' sanctum, if you wish to go, as well as a chance for you to plot out how you use your time leading up to the Blue Hands' arrival.

In the meantime, let's do an Interlude! Go ahead and narrate any reactions or follow-ups to what is above, plus include an interaction your character has with one or more of the Marronites. You can roll for theme if you want (Clubs-Tragedy; Spades-Victory; Hearts-Love; Diamonds-Desire) but don't have to. Once done, give yourself 1 XP and either a Benny or an extra Adventure Card draw.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Day 8: The Widening Gyre

Post by Kim Black »

Notice 4
Combat Mage Armor +2, Machine Maestro +4
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 2
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Kim had found an old garage she could claim as a workshop. She moved the Sky Siren inside and spread out all the salvage and parts she had to work with so she could see it all. She sat cross-legged on a stool, just staring at it, her eyes slightly unfocused. Her mother taught her that techno-wizardry wasn’t so much a science but an art. Envision what you wanted to do, take inventory of what you had, and let your mind make connections and leaps. Fill in the gaps with magic.

They were up against tall odds. This was going to be a tough fight. Robot armor. Power armor. Vehicles. They needed to even the odds somehow.

Kim leapt up. She grabbed her tools and some parts and headed out to the turrets. She studied the dual-linked light rail guns. At least they wouldn’t have to worry too much about ammo. There seemed to be plenty. These Blue Hands sure liked to stock up.

Kim started stringing wiring. She worked along the wall, linking the skelebot heads together with the turrets. After about two hours’ work she stopped and looked up. One of the Marronites was watching her, a girl of about twelve, in a grey slip of a dress.

“Hey,” Kim greeted with a smile. “What’s your name?”

“Inala,” the girl said quietly. She brushed back her hair. “What are you doing?”

Kim looked down at the skelebot head she held in her hand and realized it might be frightening. “I’m going to create a targeting link between these and the guns,” she said, indicating the nearby turret. “I’ll write a target recognition program so it can run automatically, leaving me free to run about and plug holes in the dam.”

“We don’t have a dam,” Inala said.

Kim smiled. “Sorry. Figure of speech,” she explained. When the girl didn’t say anything back, just stared at her, Kim went back to work. She pried open the skelebot skull and sighed. This one was shorted out. She dug around in her tools. “Shazbot!” she cursed when she couldn’t find the tool and part she needed.

A small hand entered Kim’s vision, holding the parts and the necessary tool. Kim looked up at Inala.

“Microspanner,” the girl said.

“That’s right,” Kim said. “You know how to fix things?”

Inala shrugged her slim shoulders.

“You want to help?”

Inala smiled shyly.

Kim patted the wall next to her and pulled up another skelebot head, settling it into the girl’s lap. “So here’s what you need to do…”

Inala proved a quick study. She knew a fair bit about basic repairs, and if Kim had to teach her something, she had a smart mind and only needed to be told once. They got the turrets rigged up in half a day, and then Kim had Inala work on the bomb collars, building some simple pressure plates so they could use them as land mines along the road into Marron while Kim wrote the program for the turrets. Then Kim moved on to fixing the Desert Fox.

On the second day, with no other instructions from Orrin, Kim started working on Sky Siren. She installed the light rail gun. With Severiana gone off to get reinforcements, they had lost the only one who could pilot the Sky Siren well, so Kim decided to get to work on converting the Sky Siren to techno-wizardry. She wanted to be able to give it a good magical autopilot to help whoever ended up behind the wheel.

To this point, all the work had been standard mechanics and repair, but when Kim yanked out the nuclear engine and dumped out a bunch of crystals and arcanite wiring, Inala picked up one of the gems and studied it.

“I’m not sure you can help with this,” Kim said. “This involves magic.”

“I know,” Inala said. “But I know radiation.” She nodded to the reactor. “It is not so different. Unseen forces.”

Kim raised an eyebrow. The girl was quite perceptive. She reminded Kim of herself at that age when she had been learning with her mom. Kim had been quite a bit younger when she started playing around with crystal and arcanite, however.

“Okay, I’ll teach you some basics, see how you do.”

Inala actually proved to have some magical talent. She seemed to grasp the fundamental concepts of techno-wizardry. Kim wished she had more time to teach the girl, but they had work to do. It took them four days to convert the Sky Siren, but when it was done, it was actually better than Kim had expected, allowing her to eke out a bit better piloting from the existing system.

Kim straightened up, stretching her back and wiping arcanite dust from her forehead. She looked at Inala, who had come out of her shell during their days together and was grinning proudly, grease covering her overalls and face.

Kim laughed. “Okay, let’s call it a day and get cleaned up,” Kim said. “We won’t be able to think if we exhaust ourselves. Then you can go and talk to that Ikimi boy you like,” she teased.

Inala blushed. “I do not!” she said. Ikimi was one of the boys working with Orrin on magic.

“Sure,” Kim chuckled.

“Well, Tazden likes you,” Inala said.

It was Kim’s turn to blush. Tazden was working with Jack on learning how to shoot and was more Kim’s age. During breaks, Kim had often gone to watch the gunslinger.shoot and noticed the young Marronite.

“Well, I’ll talk to Tazden if you talk to Ikimi,” Kim dared.

“Okay!” Inala said, beaming.

Kim blinked. “Now what have I gotten myself into?” she asked, tossing down a spanner and throwing her arm around Inala’s thin shoulders as the headed out of the garage for the mess hall.
Interlude Reward
I will take a Benny and +1 XP
Proposed Work schedule
This is what Kim is doing for the first few days. The next bit of work on the Sky Siren requires 8 days, so I will need to see if partial work can be done or if I need a full 8 day block. Or other jobs can be assigned to the later days. This is just what was on my to-do list.
Day 1: Rig up auto-fire and targeting on the turrets/skelebots (half day); bomb collar land mines/grenades (time?); fix Desert Fox (2 hours)
Day 2: Mount light rail gun on Sky Siren. Convert Sky Siren to TW.
Day 3: Convert Sky Siren to TW.
Day 4: Convert Sky Siren to TW.
Day 5: Convert Sky Siren to TW.
Day 6:
Day 7:
Day 8:
Day 9:
Day 10:
Actions
Conditions
Parry: 5 Toughness: 13 (7)
PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 4/3
Arcane Machinist (6/6): armor, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, clairvoyance, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fly, havoc, healing, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, pummel, quickness, slumber, smite, speak language, speed, stun, succor, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker, warrior’s gift.

Backpack of Shooting Stars
  • 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
UEMC (10 charges)
Adventure Cards
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
  • Cutting in Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

To Do
Add TW Piloting upgrades to Sky Siren
Equipment
This should be about at her load limit of 30 lb.
  • Backpack of Shooting Stars
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • Multitool: +1 Repair
  • 2 x One way recording radio transmitter (Blue Hands)

Vehicles
Northern Gun Sky Siren (Mountaineer w/ hover)(TW)
Ostensibly designed as a civilian vehicle, the NG Sky Siren is a rugged, but agile, hover transport with plenty of room for combat upgrades. The nuclear engine provides near limitless range, while the powerful hoverjets give it a max altitude of about 20 feet, although it is capable of handling drops of up to 100 feet.
  • Light Missile Launcher (turret)
    • Damage: 5d6 MBT MD AP 13 (anti-vehicle missiles)
    • Range: 150/300/600
    • Shots: 8
    • Reload: 3000/missile/total=24k credits
  • Light Rail Gun (forward mounted)
    • Damage: 2d10+4, ROF 3, AP 10
    • Range: 100/200/400
    • Shots: 45
    • Reload: 10,000 credits
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Remaining Mods: 1
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • TW Minor Mod: +1 Piloting
Desert Fox Hovercycle (stats of NG-150): Combining solar cells and a powerful electric engine, the Desert Fox has a range of 600 miles and a max ceiling of 20 feet, before it needs a night’s recharge. (153,000 credits)
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • Damage: 3d10
    • Range: 24/48/96
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Notes: Exposed Crew, Handling 3, Hover
Police Hovercycle (Speedster hovercycle)
  • Mini Rail Gun
    • Damage: 2d8+4, ROF 4, AP6
    • Range: 75/150/300
    • Shots: 32
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • ACC/TS: 15/80
  • Size 2
  • Crew: 1
  • Exposed Crew, Hover

Mission Loot
550,000 credits in salvage/misc gear and cyberwear
A pair of pearl-handled TX-26 Particle Beam Pistols previously owned by Dutch (Range 10/20/40, Damage 2d8+3, RoF 1, AP 2, Semiauto)
A pair of Infernal Sixguns made of smoking black iron, previously "owned" by Hex (Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d8, RoF 1, AP 4, +2d Shooting, gain Vow: Serve the Devil).
A TW shard pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 2d8+1, RoF 3, AP 1, 3RB, lower trait (Vigor) activated by Shooting)
A vehicular Light Rail Gun salvaged from Oso's otherwise-scrapped power armor (Range 100/200/400, Damage 2d10+4, RoF 3, AP 10, Mega Damage)
A cyber-eye system with Built-In TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle (Range 12/24/48, Damage 1-3d8, RoF 3, Semi-Auto, 3RB) (Claimed by Silver)
Chain greatsword (Str+2d10, AP 2, Mega Damage, -2 Parry) with integrated heavy flamer (Range Cone or MBT 18", Damage 3d12, may set targets on fire, affect least armored area, Mega Damage) (Claimed by Silver)
Bandit IP-44 Super Ion Pistols (as NG-59, Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d6, RoF 1, plus single-shot grenade launcher loaded with plasma, Range 12/24/48, Damage 3d10, ignores all but sealed armor, SBT), ammo belt includes 6 spare plasma grenades
5 Plasma
4 High Explosive
4 Armor Piercing
4 Frag
Character Tracking
Kim Black Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (7)
PPE: 14/20
Bennies: 2/3
Arcane Machinist (5/6): armor, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, clairvoyance, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fly, havoc, healing, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, pummel, quickness, slumber, smite, speak language, speed, stun, succor, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker, warrior’s gift.
Ace: May make Soak rolls for vehicles at -2

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
Device: Boost Trait (Shooting)
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards
  • Theme Song: It’s one of those “inspiring music movie moments” when the heroes get their second wind! You and all allies who can see your signal or hear your voice (walkie-talkies count) recover automatically from Shaken status and any Fear effects, due to your inspiring words.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un-Shaken now as well.
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.

Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • UEMC

Vehicles
Ostensibly designed as a civilian vehicle, the NG Sky Siren is a rugged, but agile, hover transport with plenty of room for combat upgrades. The nuclear engine provides near limitless range, while the powerful hoverjets give it a max altitude of about 20 feet, although it is capable of handling drops of up to 100 feet.
      • 1 reload of 8 shots (anti-vehicle)
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • TW Minor Mods: +2 Piloting
  • TW Major Mods: +4 die types to Piloting
  • Cantrip: Purple flame light on the front grill
Desert Fox Hovercycle (stats of NG-150): Combining solar cells and a powerful electric engine, the Desert Fox has a range of 600 miles and a max ceiling of 20 feet, before it needs a night’s recharge. (153,000 credits)
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
Big Boss ATV (space girl has it currently)
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
  • Notes: All-Terrain, M.D.C. Armor
Mission Loot
494,000 credits in salvage/misc gear and cyberwear
A pair of pearl-handled TX-26 Particle Beam Pistols previously owned by Dutch (Range 10/20/40, Damage 2d8+3, RoF 1, AP 2, Semiauto)
A pair of Infernal Sixguns made of smoking black iron, previously "owned" by Hex (Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d8, RoF 1, AP 4, +2d Shooting, gain Vow: Serve the Devil).
A TW shard pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 2d8+1, RoF 3, AP 1, 3RB, lower trait (Vigor) activated by Shooting)
A vehicular Light Rail Gun salvaged from Oso's otherwise-scrapped power armor (Range 100/200/400, Damage 2d10+4, RoF 3, AP 10, Mega Damage)
Bandit IP-44 Super Ion Pistols (as NG-59, Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d6, RoF 1, plus single-shot grenade launcher loaded with plasma, Range 12/24/48, Damage 3d10, ignores all but sealed armor, SBT), ammo belt includes 6 spare plasma grenades
5 Plasma grenades
4 High Explosive grenades
4 Armor Piercing grenades
4 Frag grenades
Sir Blurre
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sir Blurre »

OOC Comments
Translator Education: [dice]0[/dice]
Gets a d4 in "Marronite" on day 3, and builds up to a d12 by the 10th day, if there are no interruptions.

Taking 1 XP and a Bennie. *Sniff*

There's nothing more distractable than a bored Quickflex, especially one who is worthless at mechanical tasks and who has no capacity for siege warfare, but for whom 'pacing' is done at Olympic speeds. Sir Blurre thus spends most of his time fretting and worrying. His main activity is to take long, casual scouting runs around the territory outside the town, trying to spot vantage points that might be used by artillery-style units, especially. All the preparation in the world won't help if they don't have some way of shutting down long-range missile fire. In theory, the Blue Hand need the Marronites alive, but after the first battle, they may just want revenge for the fallen. In particular, he paces out the ranges from the nearest bluffs and cliffs (especially those that have a route a vehicle or Robot Armor could take to ascend to the top) to the walls, and then reports these numbers back to Orrin (whom he's falling into the habit of calling "Sir" more often than not).

He even does this the first couple of evenings, seeing how the lights of the town affect visibility from the perches. But eventually, he has all the data he needs, especially at night, and so he ends up assisting in caring for the children, while the adults are training for martial conflict.

One thing he ends up doing is telling stories, mostly those remembered from his days as an orphan. It's the usual oral tradition blend of first-hand accounts, full-blown fairy tales, and semi-fictionalized historical tales. He also uses the time to teach his pocket-translator their native language, having them repeat some of the stories to him, or to each other. The children, having been confined to Marron since the group's arrival, are avid listeners as he describes the grand vistas of the New West, the nobility of Lord Coake and the Cyber-Knights, a reasonably sanitized version of the Fall of Tolkeen, and the founding of the Tomorrow Legion. Many of the kids take to 'playing Cyber-Knight' during this time.

It takes a few days for Blurre to realize that one or two of the children stop showing up to storytime, though. He eventually does, and inquires of their peers if they are okay.

"Callister and Mallie and Synjer can't come any more. Their folks say so."

Discomfited by this, Blurre eventually approaches the parent of Synjer--who was one of the most ardent fans of the stories, often picking up the thread of the tale being told and acting it out in silent pantomime, or suggesting ways the story could be made 'better'. Synjer's mother, Felice, is slender, and on slightly above average height for the Marronites. She gives Blurre a melancholy smile as he approaches her, while the children are in the mess hall.

"Think I know, you reason come," she begins, but he smiles back and activates the translator, permitting clearer communication between the two of them. She nods as she realizes its function, and then continues. "Please, understand, I appreciate the attention you have shown the children; we all do. During this time of trouble, it is good that they are entertained. But while most hear your stories as simple fun, some take them more deeply to heart. Synjer and the others have a new desire, one there is no word for it in our language and I do not know if there is one in yours, but he describes it as a 'heartfelt wish to see what lies beyond the horizon'."

The Cyber-Knight blinks, giving her the American word for it. "Wanderlust?"

Felice nods, sadly. "But there is no means for him to wander in this world; even if we move to another location, as some of you have suggested, we would be as confined there as we are here, bound to whatever new sacred site we might come to." She tilts her head. "You see? Your stories, for him, create a hunger that can never be sated. It is my hope, and that of the parents of Callister and Mallie, that this will fade in time, but it must not be stoked, for their sake." She sets a gentle hand on his arm. "Again, please do not think we are anything but grateful, and do not stop your tales for the other children, who need the distraction they provide."

Blurre nods to her. "I understand, and thank you for your candor."

With that, he goes to his room and lays down, but sleep is hard in coming that night. What in Heaven's name are we doing, here?
Sir Blurre
Quick Stats
Quick-Flex Cyber-Knight
Agility d10, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d12+1 (+3), Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Psionics d6; Fighting d12; Shooting d6; Streetwise d6+2; Intimidate d6+2; Taunt d6+2; Notice d4; Survival d4+2; Persuasion d4; Investigation d4; Common Knowledge d6-1
Charisma: +2; Pace: 14/d12+1;
Shield: Parry: 11 (-2 to be hit by tech); Toughness: 14 (4) melee, 18 (8) range; +2 vs. Evil
No Shield: Parry: 9 (-2 to be hit by tech); Toughness: 14 (4); +2 vs. Evil
Hindrances: Overconfident, Vow, Code of Honor, All Thumbs, Poverty
Notice d4, Common Knowledge d6+1, Intimidation d6+2, Persuasion d4+2, Taunt d6+2
Edges: Elan, Champion, Charge/Overrun, Ambidextrous/Two-Fisted, Common Bond, Well-Traveled (+2 CK rolls for people/geography in NorthAmerica); Master Psi-Sword
Powers: Speed, Deflection, Quickness, Wall-Walker

Bennies: 4/5
ISP: 19/20 (To recharge, must let armor go uncharged for an hour)

[list]Q2/19 Adventure cards:
Contact - Your hero sees an old friend or acquaintance who might help him in his current quest somehow. Of course, he may also ask for a favor in return.
Arcane Inspiration - When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Inspiration - Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.[/list]
Rill
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Rill »

Notice 7, CK 9
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Common Knowledge [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Tribe of One wrote:Rill and Blurre leave for the ley line as dawn breaks, accompanied by Alesmai and two of the Marronite men, who gently place Aector's linen-wrapped body in the Sky Siren. The trip takes just under two hours; when you disembark beneath the blue light of the ley line, the last of the morning dew has evaporated, and the day is bright and dry as old bones.

Laying Aector's body on the dusty ground, Rill kneels. He keeps his prayer simple, and direct: He asks only that his Lord hear his plea, and consider giving this man, his family and his community some portion of the life that had been taken.

Outwardly, all is silence and stillness. There is no thunderbolt, no voice from on high. But Rill is struck by a piercing cold, a throbbing pain, a crackling fire, as something passes through him, emptying him, only to be refilled by the energy of the ley line. There is darkness, and light, and then ... peace.

A stray breeze sends a swirl of spinning dust over Aector's body, scattering his linens. With a sudden, wracking cough his corpse seems to inhale the cyclone. Then he sits straight up, eyes flying open as his blood-crusted tunic falls open, revealing unmarked flesh where there had been only ruin.

His eyes fall on Alesmai and he smiles.

"I have found you, my wife," he says. "I walked in a vale of shadow, surrounded by rock and wind with no heat. And then a shepherd came, robed in light, and led me through the dark places to return to you."

He looks around, spotting Rill, and reaches a hand out to touch the preacher. "I know your voice, healer, even though you do not speak, and I am grateful for your call. You have shared your faith with me, and I will do the same. When we return, I will lead you into our sacred place, so you can see what it is that sustains us, and holds us to that place."
Rill smiles, exhaustion creeping in at the edges of his vision and nods his head. ”It would be my great honor, ieffe,” attempting the Marronite word for “elder.” ”I am pleased the Lord saw fit to make you sound and return you to us. As you must know, there is much work to be done, amd many hearts to heal.”

Ril tries not to intrude on their way back, wanting to give the couple what paltry amount of privacy was possible in a shared passenger compartment. In fact, after the healing is completed, he draws upon the ley line again to fully recharge, finds his seat, and promptly dozes off, his body and spirit both spent as a result of his exertions.

When he wakes, one of the other Marronites is sitting in the seat next to Rill, looking intently at the Fennodi preacher’s face. ”Can I help you, son?” Rill asks.

The Marronite man, Raelon, if Rill remembers his name correctly, nods when be sees Rill awake and asks simply, ”Why?”

Rill gives a small smile. ”That is quite the question, son. One of the biggest out there, I think. You may need to be a bit more specific, though.”

Raelon clarified, ”Why would your god heal our ieffe , I mean? He does not belong to this god. He does not belong to this world. So why heal him? Why care?”

Rill answers, ”Ah, well that is a good question, and the answer may surprise you. The short version is this: God does not particularly care where you are from. His children are everywhere, spread across untold worlds, worshipping him under untold names. He counts all sentient life as belonging to His family, which includes you, and it includes Aector, whether you know His name or not. And as His emissary, it is my job to act the way He would were He here, and I think he would’ve healed your ieffe if He were here.”

The answer seems a satisfactory one, and Rill and Raelon chat amiably for a time, a mutual respect growing between them.
Tribe of One wrote:On the way back to Marron, Rill pulls his hat low and leans back in his seat in the Sky Siren, the smooth pulse of the hover-jets vibrating softly beneath him. As he does, he lets his thoughts for another prayer, this time for guidance, and vision of their enemy's approach.

Slowly, his mind's eye is filled with images. He sees vultures circling over sand dunes to the north, thermals rising off ground in visible waves. The birds make no sound, but suddenly dispersed, alarmed as a vast form stirs below.

A rough, lion-like beast rises from the sand, shaped of basalt and shadow. Its vast head turns south and it begins to walk, gathering speed. The sun spins overhead, plunging Rill's view into darkness, then back to light once, twice ... 10 times, it goes around, before the monstrous thing approaches Marron from the north ... as it does, Rill sees it reach one black claw to the ley line, siphoning its power. As it reaches Marron's walls, he sees that within the shadows stretched over the beasts frame are men, snarling and screaming. Men with blue hands stamped on their faces and hearts, riding metal chariots of war. At their head, an armored man with the eyes of a serpent, and a woman, clad in black armor.

Ten days, a voice whispers in his mind. Ten days, my son, before death comes to Marron.

In stark contrast to his pleasant conversation with Raelon, the vision impacts Rill with a tangible sense of dread. Ten days! Father, what can we do against so much evil in such a short time?

Once in range, Rill gets on the radio to break the bad news. ”Team, this is Rill. The ceremony went better than expected, but we need to talk. I’ve seen a vision, and we have only about ten days to prepare...
Character Sheet
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Orrin Truthseeker »

With Jack's help petitioning, and many promises of relative safety, Orrin is able to convince a number of Marronite couples to allow their arcanely gifted children to study with Orrin. Though the children initially can barely contain their excitement, they are dismayed when the entire first day is almost completely lectures and actual studying. They learn quickly though, and by the second day are ready to work on some practical applications.

He separates the children into groups of 3, enough to amplify their powers, but not so many that coordination everyone gets difficult. He selects a leader from each group, the one who will direct the magic. It most groups there is an obvious individual who stands out as a leader, but one it particular doesn't have anyone particularly outgoing.

Seole, you'll lead this team" Orrin says, pointing to a young boy who had showed a lot of enthusiasm and promise during yesterdays fundamentals of magic lectures.

"Me?!?" Seole says incredulously, and from the looks on the faces of the other children they are just as surprised as Seole is at Orrin's choice. "But I can't...

"Yes you can" Orrin says forcefully. "As soon as you doubt yourself, you rob yourself of any ability to control arcane energies. I know you can do this Seole. Trust me if you can't trust yourself" Orrin smiles reassuringly and moves on to the next group.

Orrin doesn't have much time to train the children, and since they only have a few days, they will only have time to master one or two spells. Orrin starts them off with the most basic spell he can think of, one that causes the target to hear a cacophony of sound and see a blaze of colored lights, confusing and disorienting them. Orrin has the children target him for all of their spells, that way he can gauge how well they are coming along.

The first day yields no results, but that doesnt surprise Orrin. Except for the most prodigious pupils, almost no-one is successful in casting spells on their first day. The second day yields more promise however, and all of the groups manage to create bursts of sounds and light, although not particularly distracting ones. Well, all groups but one.

Orrin walks up to Seole's group as they make another attempt to cast the ritual spell. He flicks on his magical sight, and sees quite clearly that it isnt a lack of power stopping the spell. Magic surrounds the group, but dissipates before being properly directed.

"Come on Seole!" one of the group members whines, and Seole's face scrunches tighter in concentration. After another few seconds, Seole grunts wordlessly and kicks at the wall, and the other members of the group disperse for a break.

"I just cant do it!" Seole shouts when Orrin puts a hand on his shoulder. "Pick someone else."

"No Seoloe. Orrin says calmly despite his student's anger, "You CAN do this. You demonstrated a better understanding of the basics of how the arcane arts work than any of the other children yesterday. You have a sharp mind, and that is very important in magic. But so is confidence and patience. You need be centered. You are so worried about what they think" Orrin waves an arm, indicating the rest of the students, "that more of your focus in on them, and what they will think if you fail, and not on the spell."

Orrin pulls Seole aside away from the rest of the students. "I want you to try again, except this time, it will be just you and me in the circle. No ones else to worry about."

"Well of course it will work with you, you know how to cast tons of spells.." Seole starts.

"No, once the head of a circle is established, no-one else in the circle can cast a spell. I'll just be providing the power, It will still be you casting."

Hesitantly Seole starts the ritual. after a few minutes they reach part where the spell unleashes, and Orrin subtly guides the power as Seole tries to finish the casting, causing a burst of sound and light louder and brighter than any of the other groups had accomplished. Seole's face light's up with ecstatic joy.

"Did you see that?!?! That was HUGE!!" Seole run's out of the side room and quickly gathers the other students in his group to tell them about the spell. Not surprisingly they don't believe him, but Seole insists that he can prove it.

Orrin leans against a well and watches as they perform the ritual. He holds his breath as they come to the end of the ritual where the powers are released.

Come on Seole...

A bright blast of light accompanied by an small thunderclap appears over the group. It's not nearly as big as the one Orrin created, but it was better than anything any of the other groups had managed to produce.

Orrin lets out a sigh of relief. He had been worried that Seole wouldn't have gained enough confidence from Orrin's deception to be able to cast the spell.

But then again, if it worked on me, It'll probably work on anyone....

It had been 6 years before Orrin had learned that other people COULD still cast spell while they were part of a circle, though it took great focus. When he confronted Crassus about it, he had just laughed and pounded Orrin on the back.

Of course, that had been throwing fireballs at targets rather than creating bright lights and loud noises....But it's better if the children don't hurt anyone directly. Being in the coming battle will be hard enough on them without having to deal with the horror of taking another's life...
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; PPE: 15/35; Staff PPE: 10/10; Armor PPE: 10/10

Parry: 4+1
Pace: 5+2
Toughness: 16 (6)
Active Effects Staff:, Spellcasting +1, Parry +1; Armor: Spellcasting +1, Kn Arc +2;

Notable Edges: LL Rejuvination; Common Bond; Wizard; Marksman; Metal Skin; Elan; Investigator (armor)
Powers: Beast Friend; Waking Dream (Illusion); Fireball (Bolt); Chakra Surge/Syphon (Boost/Lower Trait); Nature’s Gift (Warrior’s Gift); Mystical Sight (Detect Arcana); Arcane Severance (Dispel); Shadow Guard (Deflection); Adrenaline (Quickness); Armor

Bennies: 1/3
-1 Bennie - advancing through the train
-1 Bennie to unshake after backlash
-1 Bennie gifted to Blurr through common bond
+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist
-1 reroll puppet breakout

Aventure Cards:
Inspiration: Friendly characters (including yourhero) add +2 to all trait rolls for therest of this round.

Spill the Beans:
The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.

Update Signature
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Silver is at his observation post in the early evening as Rill, Blurre, and the Marronites pull out in the Sky Siren heading for the Ley Line 30 minutes away. Duncan and Sev had left an hour earlier and Silver had the feeling of drifting in a large body of water, as nothing was in his control. Looking once more after the most recently departing group, Silver noted the solemn natures of the Marronites.The past few hours had been traumatic.

The Sky Siren grew smaller as it drew into the sunset. Silver sat up from his perch and dialed in Toto's frequency. Typing in a greeting, "Are the Rains Down in Africa?" Sitting back in his perch he waited for his friend to respond.

The evening was in full dark by the time the lights of the Sky Siren were seen coming through the gloom. Rill and Blurre are in the front and where there were three Marronites sitting in the back, there are now four. Well that went well. As the Sky Siren passed him, Silver's computer chirped to life. A message began coming across the screen, "Welcome to the Dark Side of the Moon."

"The Hole is Secure. When will you be riding in?"

"In five or less, unless I need to put my horse down."

"They Call the Wind Maria."

"I've Been Everywhere Man."

The computer screen goes dark and Silver sits silently for a few minutes. Pushing his throat mic for the squad's short range radio freq, "Orrin, Toto can be here in five days. Out."

Putting his hands on his knees, Silver stands up. He stands up and stretches, with flesh and metal and stretching in sync. The moon shone down from the dark sky and illuminated the entire open landscape. The moon shines down and calls for Silver.

Silver begins wandering the wastes away from the city of Marron. Time slips away from him and darkness envelopes his silvery form. He follows the moonlight with only his feet finding the way. Into a rocky crevace where a depression holds a pool of water that reflects the moon does Silver's feet finally stop.

Looking into the water Silver sees his reflection. It has been many months since he gazed on his reflection. Everything feels as is it should when he stares at the empty eye socket and he notices the red burning ember buried deep within. Well that can't be good.

Staring at the moon in the water, Silver realizes that a moon beam has concentrated itself in the water at his feet. Looking up into the sky, Silver sees the moon dressed in a satiny gown of black bejewelled with stars. The stars even radiate from the tresses of her flowing hair. As if cued by his awe and wonder the moon beam grows increasingly brighter asa pulse of moonlight descends from the sky.

Silver feels his head being pulled down and recognizes the soft but firm touch. Following the direction, Silver lowers his head from the sky to the figure before him. He stands head and shoulders above a black furred female wolfen with shining jewels in her fur. She Who Must Not Be Named.

She apparently hears Silver's thoughts and responds in kind Moon Raiser, Guardian of the Sky.

They hold each other. "Do you remember when we first met?" she asks.

"It was a long time ago. But yes, I remember that night."

Silver's vision fills with a moment and then a memory, as he stands in a hidden grotto at the edge of a pool of water. He had first met her in that grotto at the edge of the pool. He had pledged himself to her, as her defender and protector. To finalize the pact he had made he carved his name in symbols into a standing stone. The she wolfen is holding Silver's face once more, "The Standing Stone is why you have not returned. It is no longer in the grotto where you carved it."

"With how long I have been here on Earth, it would make sense that the stone is here."

The she-wolfen nods, "I feel that it is here as well. Find it. And return home."

Looking to the sky and the moon's position in it, the she-wolfen holds Silver's face in her hands. Touching the empty eye socket she sighs. "The machinery will not allow me to heal you. Earth is not like our home. Go easy with the Preacher Rill and understand that magic, like might, comes in many forms."

She presses her muzzle to Silver's then steps into his embrace and holds him close. As the moon changes position in the sky, the reflection in the pool begins to disappear. Soon Silver is standing with empty arms and a dark pool. Till the next time My Heart.

The Standing Stone.

Several floors down in the dragon's antiquities resides a room more secure and secret and the other secure and secret rooms. The ceiling is twelve or so feet and has an apature designed to relfect the moonlight into a particular corner for at least two hours of the night. The moonlight falls upon the rough carved stone of a wolfen holding up the moon.

Over the years the stone work has changed to include silver claws protruding from the wolfen's claws and now there is a black hole where his eye once was.

But the standing stone is not the only item in this room. On a pedastal sits a battered red and white helmet, scarred by heat, fire, and impact. In another alcove stands a terracota warrior who wears a jade green sash that reflects star light.

If Silver could find the location of his Standing Stone, he might be able to return.

Last edited by Silverclaws on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Veteran Wolfen MARS Techno-Warrior
Charisma: 0 || Pace: 8 (1d8) || Parry: 8 (9 with claws) || Toughness: 23 (6) || Size: +1 || Strain: 19/22
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges:
  • Level-Headed Edge: Draw two initiative cards and take the best.
  • Danger Sense Edge: Notice roll -2 before being suprised or ambushed.
Relevant Edges:
Bennies: 4/4
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • JA-9 Variable Laser Rifle
  • Chain Greatsword
  • Silvered Vibro-Blade Vembraces
Adventure Cards _
  • (46) Renown: Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Jack 'Bullet' Jones »

"Naw, Tazden. Try it again. Yer close. But yer flinchin'. Ain't but a little bitty noise, but yer expectin' the blast."

Jack reaches out to the young Marronite. He could be a teenager, or he could be three years old. Who knows how these people age? He takes the pistol from the boy's hands. "Lemme check somethin'." He extends the pistol, squeezes the trigger, and drills the rock that had been set up as the target. "Thing shoots straighter'n anything ah had back home. Yer just pullin' yer shot. Hang on. Reckon ah can tweak it ta level out."

He had spent hours upon hours with the Marronite men. Most of them managed to pick up the art of the trigger squeeze, though their aim wasn't perfect. Long as they ain't tryin' ta clip a fly off a horse's ear, they'll get the job done. The young Tazden, however, seemed distracted. Unfocused. Reluctant.

Then Jack figured out why. He caught the Marronite boy throwing glances at Kim. He grinned inside himself, though his face betrayed nothing but warm reassurance that this...child...would learn proper violence.

He played with the laser pistol and the e-clip. His paw had used this trick on his brother Henry who had a similar flinch.

"There. Ah fixed it. Give her a squeeze now. Slow, straight back."

"Mr. Jones, sir. Will this save us? What will happen if it doesn't? What will happen if you can't?" Tazden's question got straight to the heart of the matter, didn't it? There's a very real likelihood that this is their last week alive. Maybe Jack's too, if the town can't mount a suitable defense. The young man turns to focus on his grip, stance, sight picture, and sight alignment.

Jack's face doesn't break. "Kid, ah ain't gonna lie. If'n ah had my druthers, ah'd just pick y'all up and move ya over outta the way a' these Blue Hand bugs. Lord knows, fightin' don't always get ya where you wanna go. An' these no-count varmints, they're good at it. But the world don't always leave you a choice. There ain't no 'live and let live' with bugs. And these folk who've been starvin' y'all, hurtin' ya when they feel like it, they ain't nothin' but bugs. Sometimes, only way ta get clear is ta kill the bug. But once yer clear...peace, son. Peace ta live yer life how ya see fit. Peace ta grow, find a woman, make a family. Make a life. Can't have it if yer livin' under someone's whip." He casually head-bobs towards Kim, as she passes by with Inala. Tazden betrays his emotions, and rushes the trigger press. The gun twists wildly with the pull of the trigger finger; no laser blast springs forth from the muzzle. Tazden reacts. "The weapon is broken!"

Jack just laughs. "Naw, son, ah emptied the chamber. Shows up yer flinch. See? Now hit that ta charge the pistol..." The Marronite presses the button, sending energy into the weapon again. "An' squeeze. Slow, steady, straight back. Don't rush. If'n yer in a gunfight, one way or another, you got all the time left in the world to make that trigger press count. Do it right rather'n quick."

Tazden exhales, slowly squeezes the trigger, and blasts the stone he was aiming at. Overcome with joy, he twists towards Jack to see if his teacher had seen the blast. The Marronite's finger was still on the trigger of the laser pistol, now being unconsciously directed towards Jack's head. Instinctively and quickly, Jack reaches out with his mind and stops the weapon's travel. "Easy, fella! Downrange at all times!" The exuberant Marronite checks his excitement, then reorients the pistol towards the backstop. "I did it, Mr. Jones!"

Jack smiles a true, happy smile. "Sure did, Tazden. Squeeze off the last three outta that clip, then go back an' see what Kim and that other girl are up to. Ya done good, kid." Eagerly, Tazden sends a few more shots downrange, pegging his intended target each time. Satisfied with his performance, he leaves the pistol with Jack, then does as instructed, eventually tracking down Kim and Inala.

Ah sure hope we ain't gettin' these folk killed fer nothin'. Damn sad a kid that age is gonna have to fight a real life or death fight just ta be able ta eat an' have a home. Ah don't care 'bout fair, but ah sure think they didn't get a fair deal outta this draw. Lord, ah hope we win, fer this kid's sake. He deserves ta grow up without some no good thief stealin' his life an' time an' energy.

Jack's poker face can cover many problems, even the very serious problem of skewed odds, and the ineffectiveness of walls against flying marauders. Still, his mind is working, trying to think of any way to even the odds, or ground the enemy. He turns and watches as Tazden strikes up a conversation with Kim. There ya go, boy. Keep livin' like y'ain't got an army a' pissed off banditos 'bout a week away from turnin' this whole area into a real wasteland.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 5
Toughness: 14 (6)
ISP: 38 / 50
Active Powers: Greater Boost Trait - Shooting (+2 die types); Greater Smite (PHC, silver, raise); Greater Deflection (raise, -6 to hit)
Pace: 6
Pertinent Edges: Master Psionic, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Strong Willed, Ambidextrous, Two Fisted, Quick, Elan
Armor: TW Lucky Devil's Duster
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
  • Armor, Quickness, Invisibility powers
Weapon(s) in holster:
Right hand: PHC
Left hand: Hellfire Hand Cannon
Telekinesis: inactive
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

The sun is hanging just above Marron's western wall when the Sky Siren returns. Marronites drop what they're doing and gather around the vehicle. When Aector emerges, silence falls over the crowd, followed by a jubilant cry from one of the ieffe's daughters, who runs forward and wraps long arms around her father.

Word of the resurrection at the ley line spreads quickly, and as Rill and the others disembark, Marronites come forward to lay hands on the preacher -- a gesture he sees as both respect and welcoming him into their community.

Raelon says something to the other Marronite adults in their own tongue, then gestures to Rill and the gathered members of the COT.

"Come, and we will show you the sacred place below. You have earned a place among us, and it is the time of gathering nourishment to be shared as the darkness comes," he says.

Aector nods, and gestures for the group to go along without him. "I will resume my place when the darkness recedes, but for now I would be with my family," he says, before being carried along in a crowd to the dining hall.

Raelon waits for any who wish to go below, then leads the way to the worn, blocky building at Marron's heart. It resembles an ancient hangar or warehouse, although desert winds have scoured away any markings, and debris and sand lie piled in the corners, obscuring the shapeless hulks of rusted equipment.

In one corner, a doorless entry leads into a wide stairwell, and Raelon leads the way down with a glow-rod in hand. If Silver is with you, his cybernetic Geiger counter ticks slowly, registering the presence of low levels of radiation that, while slightly above the norm, are well within the tolerable range. Three flights down, you come to a sealed hatch in the floor. Through a scratched porthole, you can make out what appears to be an airlock and another hatch below. Radiation levels tick up significantly here, but drop into the undetectable range when the circle of Marronites closes.

"From here on, you must stay near to us. Within arms' length of one of us, you are safe, but beyond that the heat is death for your kind," Raelon says.

In groups of five, you take turns descending into the airlock, then out the door in its side into a metal-walled hallway flaking with iridescent rust. As you regroup and move further on, the corrosion grows heavier and stranger, deposits of rainbow-hued calcification and crystalline growths sprouting in geometric shapes.
The Tunnels
radioactive cave.jpg
After several more minutes traversing the tunnel, you emerge into a chamber that is almost unrecognizable as something man-made. The Marronites around you begin to glow fiercely, and while the radiation levels within the circle remain undetectable, you can still feel the heat pouring off the cracked and glowing "boulder" in a shallow pit at the center.

"This, my friends, is the heart of our people. Before we found it, we wandered starving in the desert. With it, we remain strangers marooned in your land, but need not worry that our children, and children's children, will be without a home," Raelon says.

The Marronites spend another minute gathering the radiation rolling off of the ancient reactor, then motion for you to turn and go. Rather than returning the way you came, they lead you down other tunnels and up a series of stairs where the radioactive corrosion is less widespread.

"The reavers of the Blue Hand do not care about our needs, and so see the sacred place as only an inconvenience. They want only to plunder the treasures of the ancients, but we have not allowed it. We have brought up small things -- there were many of the batteries you call e-clips, which we have learned to recharge. But we lack the knowledge to recover any other wonders," he says, as he opens a heavy door marked with a faded eagle.

Inside, you are surprised to find a large room filled with dust-covered banks of computers and electronic equipment, as well as a table-sized holo-console similar to the one you found in the police station in Kenton-that-was. Here and there, an ancient LED blinks, proof that at least some of the equipment is still drawing power. On the walls, you can make out more of the faded eagle designs, and four letters that elicit a shiver: N.E.M.A.

"The ancients left many strange things," Raelon says, before pointing to a door in one wall labeled "ARMORY." "Doubtless more lie in the chamber beyond, but we have never been able to open it. Even the ancients' guardian has given in to the eternal quiet."

With that, he draws your attention to a wide, open doorway on the far side of the room. Beyond, at first you see only darkness, but as the glowing Marronites move in, you see it is a vast garage or hangar -- in the center of which looms a giant suit of robot armor!
NEMA Super-Mastiff
SuperMastiff.JPG
NEMA Super-Mastiff: Size 8, Crew 2+2, Strength d12+6, Toughness 44 (22), Pace 10 (5)
Notes: MDC Armor; Damaged Leg
Weapons:
  • 2 × Medium Missile Launchers (chest) Range 200/400/800; 8d6; AP 15; ROF 1; Shots 4 ea.; MBT (Empty)
  • 2 × Light Missile Launchers (chest) Range 150/300/600; 6d6; AP 8; ROF 1; Shots 8 ea.; MBT (Empty)
  • 2 × Mini-Missile Launchers (legs) Range 100/200/400; 5d6; AP 6; ROF 1; Shots 12 ea.; SBT (Empty)
  • Medium Laser (belly turret) Range 150/300/600; 3d10; AP 10; ROF 1; Shots unlimited
The missile launchers are all empty, and the only spares nearby are for the mini-missile launcher: There's a crate of 12 smoke missiles and 12 loaded with fire retardant that may or may not still be functional.
The robot, of an unfamiliar design, is as large as a Titan and emblazoned with more NEMA insignia. One leg is battle-damaged, and several missile pods have been removed from its chest, apparently for repairs that were never completed.

[Getting the NEMA robot armor running, then repairing the lift to bring it to the surface is possible as a special task, which you can read more about below. If successful, it will provide a +2 bonus in the upcoming battle, +4 if you can find some ammunition for the missile launchers.]
Assuming you try to get the armory door open ... because of course you do.
A quick inspection of the computer equipment shows that, while some data might be salvageable, most of the consoles are riddled with ruined parts and corroded wiring that would have to be replaced before anything could be accessed. One station near the armory door appears to have held up through the centuries in somewhat better condition ... with any luck, it could be used to over-ride the ancient locking mechanism blocking access to the armory.

As soon as the console is booted up, emergency lights begin to flash and flicker and a garbled voice begins counting off seemingly nonsensical names and phrases.

<<... Echo Charlie Six, attempting digital handshake ... no response ... Farmer Indigo Twenty Five, attempting digital handshake ... no response ... NORAD Central Command, attempting digital handshake ... accepted. Updating connection status ... error, failure to authenticate geospatial coordinates, updating database ... failure. ... Cyberworks Aerospace Networks Lunar Laboratory, attempting digital handshake ... accepted. Updating connection status ... A.R.C.H.I.E Four is offline ... query received from A.R.C.H.I.E. Seven ... credentials not found, connection severed ... Bravo Sierra Twelve, attempting ...>>

The digital chant is abruptly cut off as a scrambled, out-of-focus hologram is projected from the machine and a female voice calls out:
b<<Who is this? Sergei, are you seeing this? Where the hell ... holy shit! Is that NORAD? Did it just ping NORAD? Put the call out, we've got to get everyone to the docks and try to get to the dropships. I don't care if the life support still needs work. They can wear their suits, and the kill-sats are gonna punch holes in half of them before they even make burn. Now get moving and let me see if I can extract that coordinate data ... >>

As abruptly as it appeared, the signal cuts out, replaced with a plume of ozone-scented smoke billowing from the console.
To open the door, succeed at Repair, Kn: Computers or Kn: Electronics at -6 (or -2 if you have at least two of the three skills)
You get enough juice running into the armory door to over-ride the lock and trigger the emergency hydraulics. It only opens about six inches before it gets stuck, but you're able to shove it open the rest of the way manually. Inside, you've found a gold mine: Crates containing dozens of suits of NEMA armor like the ones you scavenged in Kenton-that-was, as well as pistols, rifles and support weapons which, strangely enough, appear almost identical to Coalition standard issue. All will take some checking over and refurbishing, but with some tools, time and elbow grease, you'll have more than enough to arm the remainder of the Marronite volunteers. [If someone dedicates a three-day period to readying the weapons and armor, they automatically get the raise effect of a +2 bonus in the upcoming battle.]

The Hours Count Down

That was a lot to take in! And you've got a potentially suicidal battle to prepare for.

We'll use a modification of the travel rules I posted earlier to determine the results of the time you spend preparing for the Blue Hand. We'll figure one day passed while you were resurrecting Aector, organizing and training recruits and then exploring the Marronites' sacred space. For your next post, we'll cover Day 2 to Day 4 (so three days worth of effort).

Each player has a chance to do something productive during the three-day period. Make an appropriate Trait roll and incorporate it into your post with a description of how you took some action to prepare for the upcoming battle -- perhaps you spent the day training townsfolk (Shooting, Persuasion, Kn: Arcana, etc.), preparing booby-traps, repairing weapons or strengthening defenses (Repair, Kn: Engineering or similar). Maybe you organize a triage center or plan supply chains (Healing, Kn: Battle). Alternatively, you can go out searching the surrounding area for something worthwhile, like a good ambush site, useful salvage or helpful neighbors (Notice, Survival, etc.). This is meant to be pretty free-form, so if you have an idea that isn't covered, just ask.

A success lets you choose one of the following benefits (which are cumulative). A raise grants the noted bonus:
  • Your efforts to train the Marronites, refurbish weapons and armor or strengthen the town's defenses pay off. Your side gets a +1 bonus in the upcoming mass battle. On a raise, the bonus increases to +2.
  • You've prepared some sort of contingency for the battle ahead that could save lives. When a Marronite unit is killed, you can trigger the plan to gain a 50 percent chance to save the unit. On a raise, you can save one unit, once, automatically.
  • You went searching, and found either trouble or something terrific! Draw an event card (see below) and narrate an appropriate event. On a raise, you can draw two cards and choose which one to keep.
  • Your careful work avoids disaster or turns a minor find into a major one! You can shift one card draw (yours or another player's) up or down by one suit. On a raise you can shift up or down two suits.
  • You complete a special task (such as getting the Super-Mastiff running) or do something else that doesn't directly translate to a mass battle bonus, like working on a TW conversion, getting cyberware installed or repaired, etc.

Event Cards
  • Clubs - Some sort of disaster strikes. Maybe it's a dust storm, or an alien whale falls from the sky. Maybe a rift opens and a horde of demons falls through ... whatever it is, it's no good for you or Marron. Subtract 1d6 from the town's accumulated bonuses. Alternatively, you can take 1d3 Wounds, each of which takes 1 day to recover.
  • Spades - You've run into a potential trap, whether natural or man-made. Maybe it's an ambush, or a caravan of con artists, or perhaps a deceptively appealing shortcut. Make an appropriate Trait check at -2. On a failure, subtract 1d4 from the town's accumulated bonuses. If you succeed with a raise, you manage to find some sort of silver lining, eking out a +1 bonus to the war effort.
  • Hearts - You find a potential ally or other form of help. Make a Persuasion roll or other appropriate Trait roll. On a success you gain one token of extra troops. On a raise you gain two.
  • Diamonds - Riches are right in front of you! You've found a stash of weapons, e-clips or other useful supplies. Add +1d4 to the war effort.

TL,DR: React to the tour below Marron, try to get into the armory if you'd like, then make one Trait roll of choice to determine how your preparation efforts pay off over the next three days, and narrate to suit.
Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kim Black »

Notice 10
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 4
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Kim followed the others down into the depths of the facility below. As the Geiger counter tipped up, she sealed up her armor.

“We should be safe if we keep sealed,” Kim told Raelon, though, of course, Silver didn’t have protective armor. “But we will stay close nonetheless. Our armor will still be contaminated, and we will need to be deconned when we get back to the surface.”

It was a long walk down the corroded tunnel, but then they came upon an old, severely leaking reactor. Kim flinched a bit, even though the Marronites were sucking up all the radiation. “Wow, this is old,” Kim murmured, studying the reactor, though still a bit fearful of getting two close. After all, she and Jack wanted to have kids someday. She glanced at Jack and then down to his nether regions before moving to stand between him and the reactor. You know, just in case.

They were led past the reactor and into a less decrepit tunnel, stopping before a door with a familiar eagle on it. “Holy cow…” Kim murmured as they stepped inside, gazing around at the ancient computers and even a holo-table. They even had some sort of power draw. “N.E.M.A. again,” Kim noted.

And then she stopped gobsmacked as the giant robot armor was revealed. “Oh, my gosh!” Kim rushed over, already evaluating the armor. The leg was damaged and would have to be repaired. And it was decidedly low on ammunition. But it wasn’t in too bad of shape.

Then Kim went over to the computers. Most would need replacement parts before they could operate, but one console was working. When she booted it up, though, an alert sounded, with a nonsense warning. Then a holo activated with another message before the console smoked into silence.

“What the hell is a norad?” Kim wondered.

Kim went over to the armory door and studied it. It didn’t appear too badly damaged. She pulled out her tools and the UEMC and crouched in front of the panel. Plans and schematics flashed through her mind, tracing the circuitry. She set to work, using the Energy-Matter converter to create what repair patches she needed.
Repair 11
-2 difficulty for having all three necessary skills, +2 UEMC, +1 multitool, +2 Machine Maestro
Repair [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]
In almost no time, Kim had the door working. “Easy peasy!” she said, chipper, as she straightened up and holstered her UEMC inside her duster. She slapped the controls and the door came up -- six inches.

Kim frowned. “Okay…” she said, embarrassed.

Silver easily shoved the door up the rest of the way.

Kim gave a low whistle at the piles of armor and weaponry. “Oh, yeah. Now at least the Marronites won’t fall over at the first sneeze.” She blushed and looked over at Raelon. “No offense.”
Repair 9; Raise
+2 UEMC, +1 multitool, +2 Machine Maestro
Repair [dice]7[/dice]
Wild [dice]8[/dice]
Kim spent the next three days making repairs to the NEMA Super-Mastiff and the lift so they could bring it to the surface. Once it was fixed and she had gotten it topside, she took some of the missiles from the Sky Siren to load it.

“Um, who is driving this thing?” Kim asked.
Proposed Work schedule
This is what Kim is doing for the first few days. The next bit of work on the Sky Siren requires 8 days, so I will need to see if partial work can be done or if I need a full 8 day block. Or other jobs can be assigned to the later days. This is just what was on my to-do list.
Day 1: Rig up auto-fire and targeting on the turrets/skelebots (half day); bomb collar land mines/grenades (time?); fix Desert Fox (2 hours)
Day 2: Mount light rail gun on Sky Siren. Convert Sky Siren to TW. Fix NEMA Super-Mastiff.
Day 3: Convert Sky Siren to TW. Fix NEMA Super-Mastiff.
Day 4: Convert Sky Siren to TW. Fix NEMA Super-Mastiff.
Day 5: Convert Sky Siren to TW.
Day 6:
Day 7:
Day 8:
Day 9:
Day 10:
Actions
Conditions
Parry: 5 Toughness: 13 (7)
Bennies: 5/3
Arcane Machinist (6/6): armor, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, clairvoyance, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fly, havoc, healing, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, pummel, quickness, slumber, smite, speak language, speed, stun, succor, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker, warrior’s gift.

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
UEMC (10 charges)
Adventure Cards
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.

To Do
Add TW Piloting upgrades to Sky Siren
Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover

Mission Loot
A cyber-eye system with Built-In TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle (Range 12/24/48, Damage 1-3d8, RoF 3, Semi-Auto, 3RB) (Claimed by Silver)
Chain greatsword (Str+2d10, AP 2, Mega Damage, -2 Parry) with integrated heavy flamer (Range Cone or MBT 18", Damage 3d12, may set targets on fire, affect least armored area, Mega Damage) (Claimed by Silver)
5 Plasma
4 High Explosive
4 Armor Piercing
4 Frag
Character Tracking
Arcane Machinist (5/6): armor, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, clairvoyance, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fly, havoc, healing, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, pummel, quickness, slumber, smite, speak language, speed, stun, succor, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker, warrior’s gift.

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards
  • Theme Song: It’s one of those “inspiring music movie moments” when the heroes get their second wind! You and all allies who can see your signal or hear your voice (walkie-talkies count) recover automatically from Shaken status and any Fear effects, due to your inspiring words.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un-Shaken now as well.
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.

Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • UEMC

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
Mission Loot
5 Plasma grenades
4 Frag grenades
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Silver returned from his moonlight rendezvous and found that preparations were being made to visit the "Sacred Place". Before going down, he made certain that the Geiger Counter built into his systems was operational. Tuned and active Silver joined everyone heading into the heart of Marron.

Walking with Orrin on the way down he leans down and asks, "Those Magma Worms. Are there more of them?"

Silver walks with the groups and notes at various places when his systems beep and ping. He has a depth guage reading off meters below the surface and evaluating the amount of rads being produced. Silver comes across a thought as they descend. To no one in general, "How long could a portion of the core be kept before the radiation is gone? Also could a containment suit be made that would utilize the core and feed an enclosed Marronite?"

For the rest of the trip below Silver is silent, just noting the surroundings and other features of a world falling in on itself.
Map Reading
Possible towns that might have a cyber doc near Marron?
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Charisma: 0 || Pace: 8 (1d8) || Parry: 8 (9 with claws) || Toughness: 23 (6) || Size: +1 || Strain: 19/22
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
  • (46) Renown: Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Rolls
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Teaching Spellcasting (+2 from powered armor):
Knowledge Arcana [dice]2[/dice]
[dice][/dice]Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Orrin joins the throng to greet the party returning from the Ley line, though after a quick greeting and hand shake allows the Marronites the space they need to enjoy the return of their leader.

He restlessly awaits their decent into the "sacred place". When they finally do make the trip, Orrin runs circles around the groups bouncing from one piece of ancient technology to the next, frequently needing to be pulled along with the group, lest he be left behind as the bubble of safety that the Marronites exhibit moves forward.

He pesters a couple of Marronites as he uses a hand held Geiger counter to measure and plot the effective of distance on the radiation negation they exhibit. He measures the radiation around the Marronites from every imaginable angle and distance, at least as far way as they are willing to let him get. At one point he even manages to get a Marronite to allow him to take a measurement with the counter from inside his mouth.

"Well that's interesting... He says, while he holds the measurement probe against the Marronites tongue. He takes the probe out and ask "I don't supposed youd be willing to let me get a measurement from..." Orrin stops short as the Marronite glares at him. "Never Mind!"

Some people are so sensitive... Orrin thinks turning away

"It appears to be a logarithmic deterioration of the incoming radiation, proportional to the distance from a Marronite. And it seems.... " Orrin pushes two Marronites together and then watches the Geiger counter as he takes measure steps away from the pair "Yep! It scales proportionally with the number of Marronites in an area...Say, Orrin turns to a Marronite "Does your species have a name? 'Marronite' does quite roll of the tongue... If not, I can come up with one for you!" Orrin exclaims eagerly.

By the end of the long trek, Orrin has mostly regained his focus.
Silverclaws wrote: Walking with Orrin on the way down he leans down and asks, "Those Magma Worms. Are there more of them?"
"I'm sure there is plenty around. This radiation explains why they are here. Some species are drawn to it, and absorb it in a fashion similar to the way the...hm... caldorabbibes? yeah... heat drinkers... kinda rolls of the tongue doesn't it?" Orrin hesitates for a second, the realizes Silver is still waiting for an answer.

"Yes, there are definitely more somewhere around here. In fact, that gives me an idea. We could use them to dig undetectable pitfalls for the hand when they show up! Of course, I won't put the poor creatures in the fight, but we could ask them to help us prepare. Good idea Silver!"

When they sight of the NEMA Mastif brings him back completion into legionnaire captain mode.

"Kim, I don't think I need to say this, but I need you get that thing working ASAP."

The intial boot up sequence doesn't surprise Orrin, as it is typical of most golden age technology sites that he has visited, but the he focuses intently when the Hologram launches. When it ends he looks at the rest of the team.

"Anyone have any idea what that was?!?" He turns to Kim, "Can you get the smoking wreckage up and running again? That didn't look like a recording, and it sounded like someone picked up that we activated this place and are planning on coming here. If we get through the next few days, something tells me we aren't going to be able to handle another fight any time soon"

Unable to get the Comm system up and running, Orrin returns to the surface with the rest of the group when they go up.

"There is a lot of gear down there, we should go through it and divvy it out to the villagers to use when the Hand arrives. Who wants to be the unofficial quartermaster?" Orrin says to the group, not particularly interested in telling everyone exactly what to do.

"We've only got another 9 days before the hand gets here, and from the sound of Rill's vision, we have a lot of preparation to do. You know your abilities better than I do, so I'll leave the decision to you to how to use your time, but make it worth while. Except for you Kim... I want the NEMA suit operational."

Glancing at Rill, Orirn adds "And no ambushes or booby traps that will trigger unless they are definitely attacking the town. If we can avoid this fight we should, and I don't want to provoke them until we know they wont be convinced otherwise."

Turning to Rill, Orrin speaks more softly, "Preacher, if you are willing, we could use your help in staying focused on our tasks. We likely wont be getting much sleep over the next few days if you could help out with that." Addressing the whole group he adds "But I want everyone to get a full nights sleep the last two days before they are supposed to arrive. No sense in handicapping ourselves if something happens to the preacher."

Orrin spends the next few days working with his magic sensitive students. After a couple more days, each group has the basics of 2 or 3 ritual spells down well enough to be able to practice in their groups without Orrin's assistance.
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker

Active Effects Staff:, Spellcasting +1, Parry +1; Armor: Spellcasting +1, Kn Arc +2;

Notable Edges: LL Rejuvination; Common Bond; Wizard; Marksman; Metal Skin; Elan; Investigator (armor)
Powers: Beast Friend; Waking Dream (Illusion); Fireball (Bolt); Chakra Surge/Syphon (Boost/Lower Trait); Nature’s Gift (Warrior’s Gift); Mystical Sight (Detect Arcana); Arcane Severance (Dispel); Shadow Guard (Deflection); Adrenaline (Quickness); Armor

+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist

Aventure Cards:
Inspiration: Friendly characters (including yourhero) add +2 to all trait rolls for therest of this round.

Spill the Beans:
The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

Update Signature
Sir Blurre
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sir Blurre »

Persuasion 18
Training Marrionites:

Persuasion [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Persuasion [dice]1[/dice]
Extra Effort Benny Running Total [dice]2[/dice]
ACE Running Total [dice]3[/dice]
ACE Running Total [dice]4[/dice]

3 Raises: Auto-save a Token. May be used twice.

Sir Blurre is mostly in silent awe as they descend to the tunnel. When the NEMA Robot is revealed, though, and Kim starts to bolt for it, the Quick-Flex reacts with his race's customary speed, pulling her back. "Remember, you can't go too far from our guides, down here. You'll make an easy target if you're glowing in the dark by the time the Blue Hand arrives." Once he's convinced she'll go to the bot in the company of a radiation-absorbing Marrionite, he leaves her to her work with a chuckle.

Once they dismissed to begin preparations, the Cyber-Knight begins to instruct those townsfolk who have opted to learn how to conduct war. Oh, he helps them with their basic weapons training, particularly hand-to-hand combat. But he also focuses on teaching them how to fight with honor. In particular, he stresses that it is more important to save the life of a comrade than to strike down an enemy. He trains with them on how to withdraw in an orderly fashion, while leaving no one behind. How not to panic or lose resolve when the fighting gets most grim.

"Remember--we will have both medicine and magical healing. And those who are not able to fight can be taken down into the tunnels to rest in the warmth--but none of this will do them any good if they are left where they fall."
Sir Blurre
Quick Stats
Quick-Flex Cyber-Knight
Skills: Psionics d6; Fighting d12; Shooting d6; Streetwise d6+2; Intimidate d6+2; Taunt d6+2; Notice d4; Survival d4+2; Persuasion d4; Investigation d4; Common Knowledge d6-1
Shield: Parry: 11 (-2 to be hit by tech); Toughness: 14 (4) melee, 18 (8) range; +2 vs. Evil
Notice d4, Common Knowledge d6+1, Intimidation d6+2, Persuasion d4+2, Taunt d6+2
Edges: Elan, Champion, Charge/Overrun, Ambidextrous/Two-Fisted, Common Bond, Well-Traveled (+2 CK rolls for people/geography in NorthAmerica); Master Psi-Sword

Contact - Your hero sees an old friend or acquaintance who might help him in his current quest somehow. Of course, he may also ask for a favor in return.
Arcane Inspiration - When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Inspiration - Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.[/list]
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Silver has no problems being among the radiation. Though he is concerned, he does not think that a huge cyber wolf is likely to find a she-wolfen in this country any time soon. The nannites should restore and heal any issues aas long as Silver does not stay down below for an hour or more.

"If you need things moved up and out. Heavy items. Let me know."

Silver heads up to the surface and begins using his digital capabilties to figure out the nearest cities to Marron. "If I find any other towns in the area. Should we send a call out for help after we scrub them for Blue Hand?"

Continuing with his searching and studying of the land round about he looks for any significant landmarks and features that could be turned against the Blue Hand. His searches start close to Marron and work their way to maybe a mile or so out. Any plausible location he marks with a stone cairne of eight or so stones.
Notice 7, 9
  • Notice [dice]0[/dice] (+2)
  • Wild [dice]1[/dice] (+2)
Survival 7
  • Survival [dice]2[/dice]
  • Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Shooting - training the trigger finger
Shooting
[dice]0[/dice]

WD Shooting
[dice]1[/dice]

Benny EE Shooting with prior and Elan
[dice]2[/dice]
"Naw naw. Y'all's fingers work right. Ah saw it. Tazden can pick the flea off a dog's pucker at twenny paces! Straight back! Squeeze, don't pull!"

Bullet Jones walks the firing line, tweaking the grip and sight alignment of the assembled Marronites. "Ah'll shoot yer guns for ya. Just pay attention." He makes sure they're dialed in, then inserts his own finger into the trigger guard, pressing the Marronites' fingers straight to the rear. The gunslinger is firm when the shots go wide, but flips a switch and becomes gregarious and celebratory when each Marronite in front of him "gets it" and hits what they're aiming at. "See? Ah done told ya you'd get it! Just don't forget ta breathe, but not right as yer squeezin'." He jokes with them all, making light of putting holes in whatever serves for targets there; glass bottles, cracked mess hall plates, anything that will react and let them know their shot was true. And, despite their predilection for pacifism, they acclimate themselves quickly to the trigger.
To further distract them from the reckoning heading their way in just a few days' time, he organizes a shooting competition between the best of the Marronites. The winner has a shoot-off with Jack Jones himself, and in the upcoming battle, gets to use one of Bullet Jones' prized weapons. "Heck, this thing practically aims by itself. Just get yer eyeball there in the ol' peeper, and yer good to hit a long ways off." He pats his "Longshot" rifle, then passes it off to Tazden. "Take good care of her."
Anything ta keep their minds offa this damn apocalypse ridin' down on our heads.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
Active Powers: Greater Boost Trait - Shooting (+2 die types); Greater Smite (PHC, silver, raise); Greater Deflection (raise, -6 to hit)
Pertinent Edges: Master Psionic, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Strong Willed, Ambidextrous, Two Fisted, Quick, Elan
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
Weapon(s) in holster:
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Tribe of One

Re: Day 11: The Widening Gyre

Post by Tribe of One »

Rill's rolls
Mysticism [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Three days pass in a blur as your talents and elbow grease are spent preparing the town for war.

While Jack sees to training the Marron militia to shoot, Sir Blurre teaches them to care for the wounded. Equally concerned for the villagers' well-being, Rill sets up triage centers where he'll be able to tend to the wounded if the worst should happen.

Orrin, meanwhile, busies himself with teaching some of the more talented youngsters enough ritual magic for them to contribute in the battle ahead, even if it's just limited to distractions and misdirection. Fortified by Rill's prayers, Kim hardly leaves the garage, refurbishing the NEMA Super-Mastiff while working on the arcane conversion of the Sky Siren in her spare time.

Silver wanders the nearby hills, marking ambush spots and areas where rocks or deadfalls could be used to slow the Blue Hand's advance.

Late on the third day, he spots a familiar, chicken-legged robot trundling through the desert, followed by a beat-up old Big Boss hauling an armored trailer. Once within hailing distance, Toto the Texas Tech sends his greetings.

<<Hola, me amigo. I told ya I'd be along, and I brought another new friend along. Cyber-doc here with me, name of Ulysses. Says he's tight with a preacher that you and yours done rescued from some bandits. Preacher figured he'd be better in a fight, or after, than a man of the cloth. Heck, you might even be able to get yourself some new legs, like old Waylon here!>>

After following Silver back to town, Toto pops open the hatch on the Gunwolf and whistles appreciatively after spotting the Super-Mastiff.

"That shore is a beaut, even if she is old enough to be Waylon's great-great-grandma. Where did y'all find this one? She's in top shape, just too bad she ain't carrying a full load. You know ... well, it's probably too dangerous to even waste your brain cells thinking of it, but there's rumors that one a them Coalition transports, the big Death's Heads, went down about 10 miles from here in a place called Tesla's Canyon. Ain't no one ever recovered it, so might be it's still got some useful munitions aboard. A'course, the reasons no one's ever recovered it is cause the whole canyon'd try to kill 'em. Place is covered in some sorta alien rock that amplifies electric energy. Even a whiff of some static electricity'll get bolts of lightning sparking and bouncing around the whole place, 'til it finds some way to ground. And that ain't even considerin' the giga worms ... I reckon it'd be suicide to even get close to the place, but it'd shore be nice to get hands on some of them missiles ..."

[As a Special Task, someone(s) can spend a prep period trying to recover the ammunition, supplies and salvageable weapon systems from the wrecked Death's Head transport in Tesla's Canyon. Make your check with a -4 penalty. Success gets you enough missiles to load the Super-Mastiff (doubling its bonus to +4) as well the Riches card draw result below. On a raise, the benefit from Riches is maxed out, to +4.]

Ulysses, a middle-aged, clean-shaven man whose left arm has been replaced by a pair of tentacle-like machine appendages, introduces himself, as well, before unloading the portable clinic he tows behind his Big Boss.

"Name's Ulysses, pleasure to make your acquaintance," he says, doffing his head with one of the strange cyber-limbs. "Preacher Jones is a friend of mine, asked that I come out and lend my assistance in any way I could. Sounds like you've got some serious trouble on the way ... whenever it comes, I can help to patch up the wounded, or even install some improvements beforehand, if you're so inclined."

Preparations and resources so far:
  • 5 tokens of Marronite militia, low quality (1d4 skill) = 5
  • Skelebot alarm system + turrets = +2
  • Functional Super-Mastiff = +2
  • Orrin teaches spells to kids = +2
  • Blurre teaches rescue drills = Automatically save 2 tokens worth of casualties
  • Silver scouts ambush locations = +1
  • Jack trains shooters = +2
  • Rill sets up triage centers = 50 percent chance to save 1 token worth of casualties
  • Toto the Texas Tech = +2 bonus in battle and he can provide a +2 bonus to a Repair or training-related roll each prep period.
  • Ulysses, the Cyber-Doc = Automatically save 1 token worth of casualties and can install/repair cyberware

The Hours Count Down, Again

You now have another three-day period in which to prepare, covering Days 5 to 7.

Each player has a chance to do something productive during the three-day period. Make an appropriate Trait roll and incorporate it into your post with a description of how you took some action to prepare for the upcoming battle -- perhaps you spent the day training townsfolk (Shooting, Persuasion, Kn: Arcana, etc.), preparing booby-traps, repairing weapons or strengthening defenses (Repair, Kn: Engineering or similar). Maybe you organize a triage center or plan supply chains (Healing, Kn: Battle). Alternatively, you can go out searching the surrounding area for something worthwhile, like a good ambush site, useful salvage or helpful neighbors (Notice, Survival, etc.). This is meant to be pretty free-form, so if you have an idea that isn't covered, just ask.

If you use the same skill you used in the previous period, you suffer a -2 to your roll.

A success lets you choose one of the following benefits (which are cumulative). A raise grants the noted bonus:
  • Your efforts to train the Marronites, refurbish weapons and armor or strengthen the town's defenses pay off. Your side gets a +1 bonus in the upcoming mass battle. On a raise, the bonus increases to +2.
  • You've prepared some sort of contingency for the battle ahead that could save lives. When a Marronite unit is killed, you can trigger the plan to gain a 50 percent chance to save the unit. On a raise, you can save one unit, once, automatically.
  • You went searching, and found either trouble or something terrific! Draw an event card (see below) and narrate an appropriate event. On a raise, you can draw two cards and choose which one to keep.
  • Your careful work avoids disaster or turns a minor find into a major one! You can shift one card draw (yours or another player's) up or down by one suit. On a raise you can shift up or down two suits.
  • You complete a special task (such as getting the Super-Mastiff running) or do something else that doesn't directly translate to a mass battle bonus, like working on a TW conversion, getting cyberware installed or repaired, etc.

Event Cards
  • Clubs - Some sort of disaster strikes. Maybe it's a dust storm, or an alien whale falls from the sky. Maybe a rift opens and a horde of demons falls through ... whatever it is, it's no good for you or Marron. Subtract 1d6 from the town's accumulated bonuses. Alternatively, you can take 1d3 Wounds, each of which takes 1 day to recover.
  • Spades - You've run into a potential trap, whether natural or man-made. Maybe it's an ambush, or a caravan of con artists, or perhaps a deceptively appealing shortcut. Make an appropriate Trait check at -2. On a failure, subtract 1d4 from the town's accumulated bonuses. If you succeed with a raise, you manage to find some sort of silver lining, eking out a +1 bonus to the war effort.
  • Hearts - You find a potential ally or other form of help. Make a Persuasion roll or other appropriate Trait roll. On a success you gain one token of extra troops. On a raise you gain two.
  • Diamonds - Riches are right in front of you! You've found a stash of weapons, e-clips or other useful supplies. Add +1d4 to the war effort.

TL,DR: Toto's in town, along with a new cyber-doc. Interact with them as you like, then make one Trait roll of choice to determine how your preparation efforts pay off over the next three days, and narrate to suit.
Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kim Black »

Notice 9
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 11
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]

Sitting at dinner with the others and reviewing the work they had done so far, Kim was a bit jazzed from being up three days straight thanks to Rill, working on preparations for the battle and converting the Sky Siren to techno-wizardry. She still had a lot of work to do to upgrade it fully how she wanted, and likely not enough time to do it before the Blue Hands got here.

Kim listened to Toto and then cracked her knuckles. “Guess I’m going on a trip, then,” she said. “I’ll take Inala and the Sky Siren out to that canyon and see what I can get from the Death’s Head. It’s too good to pass up. Those heavy weapons could make a lot of difference.”

Kim actually got a night’s rest that night before she pulled out of town at sunrise. It barely took any time to drive out to this Tesla’s Canyon. Kim parked the Sky Siren under a rocky overhang that had a good view of the canyon floor, and she and Inala got out to survey the crashed ship.

“Definitely a Death’s Head,” Kim said, eyeing the massive transport. There were bodies of Dead Boys lying about, as well as other salvage. “This is going to be tricky. Let’s have breakfast.”

The two girls sat on the hood of the Sky Siren munching on sandwiches as Kim started to outline the idea of a plan. Inala was still barely a techno-wizard, but she was still good to bounce ideas off of. Talking them through helped clarify Kim’s thinking. And Inala even made a few good observations. Finally Kim settled on a plan. She whipped up a drone device to let her see inside of the Death’s Head and anywhere in the valley. This allowed her to scout out where everything was that was valuable and she could get out. A teleportation belt and intangibility bracelet would allow her to move around in the valley with minimal exposure to the hazards of the electricity and the worms. A couple anti-grav gems would also make it difficult for the worms to detect her, and hopefully allow her to get heavy items out and up to the rim of the canyon where Inala could load them into the Sky Siren.

“Wish me luck,” Kim said. “Stay inside the Sky Siren and monitor comms. I’ll be radio silent unless I’m in trouble. If that happens, head back to town and get help.” She pulled down her goggles and then jumped off the canyon wall into danger.
Techno-Wizardry 13
-4 difficulty, +4 Machine Maestro
TW [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Ace [dice]8[/dice]
Extra Effort [dice]7[/dice]
Kim knew where she was going, so she headed right for the Death’s Head armory, flying in low over the transport. She landed on the broken frame and held still, watching electricity spark around the canyon, though none got close to her yet. She saw a worm rise up out of the ground, tentacle whiskers seeking, but it didn’t seem to notice her.

Kim made her way inside the transport and teleported into the armory. It was safer inside, though she was still careful. The door opened from this side to prevent anyone from being trapped, so she could haul out the crates. Luckily most of her gear ran on magic and not electricity, as much as she could, though it was more difficult to construct.

Soon Kim had crates of missiles and ammunition teleporting and floating up to the Sky Siren. It took Kim three days, needing to pack the Sky Siren full, make the run back to town, and then out to the ley line to recharge her batteries, but she got it done, bringing in quite the haul, and plenty of ammunition for the Super-Mastiff.
Results
Kim gets the Mastiff to the full +4 and Riches to a full +4
Proposed Work schedule
Day 2: Mount light rail gun on Sky Siren. Convert Sky Siren to TW. Fix NEMA Super-Mastiff.
Day 5: Convert Sky Siren to TW. Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 6: Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 7: Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 8:
Day 9:
Day 10:
Actions
Character Tracking
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13 (7)

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
UEMC (10 charges)
Adventure Cards

To Do
Add TW Piloting upgrades to Sky Siren. Convert Desert Fox and add TW piloting
Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover

Mission Loot
5 Plasma
4 High Explosive
4 Armor Piercing
4 Frag
Character Tracking

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards

Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • UEMC

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
Mission Loot
5 Plasma grenades
4 Frag grenades
Sir Blurre
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sir Blurre »

Searching; Survival 17 (choice of 2 draws); Hearts (potential ally); Persuasion 12; +2 Tokens
Searching
Survival [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Survival [dice]1[/dice]
Ace [dice]9[/dice]

Draw! [dice]4[/dice] Hearts! Potential Ally!

Persuasion [dice]5[/dice] Ace Running Total [dice]7[/dice]
Wild Persuasion [dice]6[/dice] Ace Running Total [dice]8[/dice]

Ally quality: [dice]2[/dice]
1 Seasoned
1 Veteran
Sir Blurre decides to go searching through the territory surrounding Marron, looking for something--anything--that will help with the upcoming battle. The Marronites are brave and passionate, but they are so ill-equipped and untrained....

One the second day out from town, the Cyber-Knight comes across tracks--orderly, patterned, despite being the tracks of great beasts. There is no deviation, like you would expect with wild animals foraging. He continues to follow the trail, and eventually comes to the aftermath of a small battle--three hovercycles (smashed beyond repair), with blue hands stamped on the sides, and a single cairn. Suspicions raised, he pulls back one stone, just enough to see the Simvan underneath, and replaces it reverently. A little more looking around, and he finds the remnants of the cycle's riders--a hand here, an ear there, with tooth-marks at the edges.

Just as he finishes his examination, he hears a shout, and looks up to the ridge--There they are. A large band of Simvan, with an eclectic mix of weapons, has formed on the ridge, and is looking down at the Quick-Flex. Not looking away, he calmly and coolly takes a seat on the ground, his legs folded in such a way as to make standing quickly unlikely, and then waves in a gesture of greeting and respect, putting his translator on his lap, and then waits. After five very long minutes, one of the riders motions for him to stay where he his, and begins riding down; the other Simvan raise their weapons, making it clear that trying to run will just mean that Blurre dies tired.

When the spokesman gets down to him, he cautiously activates the translator.

"You do not bear the mark of the Blue Paw."

Blurre shakes his head. "I do not. I am their enemy." He gestures at the carnage. "In this, at least, we are in agreement?"

The Simvan nods, lip curling up in a vicious snarl. "The cowards try to stalk us when in our territory. They try to stay high, so we cannot reach them. If they cannot kill us from the sky, they fly away and come back later." The spokesim makes a contemptuous snort. "When we can, we catch them when they rest on the ground."

Blurre nods. "There will soon be a battle with the Blue Paws. They seek to reclaim the town adjacent to the mesa a day's stride west of here. Do you know it?"

The Simvan nods. "The Eternal Flame Mountain. Yes, we know it well. Our people regard the mesa itself as taboo, because those who enter the caves grow sick and die. WHen the town formed there, we expected the people would also get sick and die, but the town seemed to survive. We assumed it was a sign of favor for them, and as they do not ride out to challenge our land, we do not bother them."

Blurre nods again. "The town is called Marron. And yes, the people there can stand in the caves without harm--and indeed, they feed on the energy that makes others sick. But the Blue Paws are greedy, seeking to force them to remove artifacts from the caves. Thus far, they have not done so, and now, I and my friends have come from our own people, the Tomorrow Legion, to help them, and to to scatter the Blue Paws and break their band. We are teaching the Marronites to fight, but they have more courage than skill." He takes a deep breath. "They would benefit greatly from honorable allies who have both."

The Simvan laughs. "And our clan gains what from this?"

Sir Blurre tilts his head. "All the Blue Paws in one place, where they will try to stay and fight, and not fly off in the sky at the first sign of resistance. A town willing to trade with you, fairly, and respect your claim to your lands. They cannot easily or long leave the mesa, which is sacred to them, so they will always be good neighbors."

The Simvan nods. "These are things we value, yes. Very well, we will fight with you, and end these Blue Paws once and for all. We will crack their bones and taste their marrow."

Sir Blurre manages to not react to the grisly vow of cannibalism. "There is one other thing--a matter of personal honor. There is one among the Blue Paws--a female, of my kind." He gestures at the nostril slits on his face, to emphasize his meaning. "If I am right, she is my sister, in need of correction, which I have sworn an oath to perform. I would ask only that you do not slay her--instead, if she is whom I believe, I will face her myself."

The Simvan considers this unorthodox plea. After another long pause, he nods. "Very well, Red-Cloak. We will spare your sister. But know this--if you fall in battle, she, too, will be fair game."

The Quick-Flex, realizing this is the best deal he is going to get, nods and smiles. "Then we are in agreement." He looks up to the ridge. "You have, what, 10 riders up there? This will be a welcome addition to our forces."

At this, the Simvan tilts his head back, and laughs. He brings a skull to his lips, and blows into the nasal cavity, creating a loud 'SQWANK' noise. Immediately, another ten riders, and twice as many additional Simvan, on foot, come up on other sides--they had Blurre surrounded, and if he had fled, he would have run smack into one of the other groups. He blinks, twice, and then joins his new friend--whom he learns is called Kavil Rendclaw--in laughing, long and hard.

Needless to say, there's a bit of a stir at sunset the next day, when Sir Blurre returns to Marron, leading a band of twoscore Simvan, half of them mounted on great beasts. He serves to make initial introductions, and the Simvan, being who they are, opt to make camp just outside the wall. The Marronites are surprised by their willingness to help, but the two groups intermingle surprisingly smoothly.
Sir Blurre
Quick Stats
Quick-Flex Cyber-Knight

Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Jack Goes Wandering
Notice
[dice]0[/dice]

Benny EE Notice with prior and Elan
[dice]2[/dice]

Ace EE with prior
[dice]3[/dice]

2nd Ace with prior
[dice]4[/dice]

WD Notice
[dice]1[/dice]

RICHES!
[dice]5[/dice]
Jack rides out on the morning of the 5th day. The thought of bolting crosses his mind, but is quickly put down. He's not the kind to pick a fight and then back down. There's gotta be somethin' in this godforsaken place that'll give us an edge, least make it so's it ain't all one-sided. He spends the next day riding straight away south, figuring no one is going to come near the Blue Hand's town, and the raiders are likely to have picked the area next to the town clean.

Partway through day 6 and the wastes haven't given up their secrets. The gambler's seen his share of bad deals, but this ride doesn't look like it's getting turned around. He begins riding for Marron by a different path. However, as luck would have it, the ride back wasn't as barren as the ride out. Towards evening, he comes upon a caravan making camp for the night. He whistles loudly as he rides in, hat tipped back so his face shows, and hands empty. "Well, ah'll be dogged. Y'all're the first thing ah've seen the last two days that ain't sand and scrub. Jack Jones." He dismounts and begins gladhanding several of the occupants of the camp, each of them at first surprised to see a stranger ride into camp past the guards, but soon won over by a warm personality and a refreshing sense of humor. Soon, he's invited to put up a tent inside the perimeter.

As night closes in, he makes a few rounds through the camp, chatting up the folk and generally making himself well liked. Eventually, he is introduced to the caravan leader, by the name of Annie Cousins.
gunslinger girl.jpg
Hot damn, Jones. Jackpot.

The gambler flashes a warm smile. "Ma'am, a pleasure." He tips his hat to her...then proceeds to ignore her in favor of talking to the rest of her crew. As the night wears on, he eventually explains his purpose for riding this area alone. "Well, truth be told, ah'm lookin' fer help. We got a bit of a hole in the fence, if'n you get my meaning. Town up north, Marron, it's called, been henpecked by a whole pack of Blue Hand bastards. Normally, ah ain't the type ta dig up more snakes'n ah can kill. Them folk that live there can't go nowhere else. They feed off some kinda radiation in the town. Them Blue Hands strolled in like they owned the place, and since them Marronites don't normally take to violence, the Blue Hands took over and run roughshod over them folks." Most of the camp is gathered around listening, at this point. Annie Cousins is staring daggers at Jack.

"Well, ah can't stand ta see good folk taken advantage of, and ah sure as shootin' can't stand them Blue Hands. They're meaner'n a shitshow snake. Ah mean it. The lot of 'em make a hornet look cuddly. Ah've dealt with a few. Ain't a one of 'em can stand losin' to a better poker player. 'course, usually after, they can't stand, neither." He chuckles, and the rest of the crew laughs. Got 'em all. Annie Cousins, however, still won't take her steely gaze off him.

He continues jabbering, reeling them in even further. "Well, we managed a few good steps, but ah ain't gonna pretend we're ready fer the lot of 'em. Them Marronites are pickin' up gunplay a little, but we ain't got enough guns 'tween all of 'em. Got some other tricks up our sleeves, but only two things're gonna see this through. Bullets and bodies. And we ain't got enough of either."

Annie Cousins finally pipes up. "We ain't helpin' you. We ain't gettin' mixed up with the Blue Hand, win or lose."

Jack smiles and nods. "Much obliged at least fer a safe night's sleep." If he's disappointed, it doesn't show. Just the smile is all she sees.

The beautiful blonde shakes her head. "Ain't riskin' my life or my boys' for yours. But that don't mean we can't work somethin' else out. See, we might'a just come into a whole load of NG hardware. We sure ain't got enough hands to use it all. I reckon we might be able to part with some of it if the price is right."

He thinks it over, then shrugs. "Ain't got much in the way of credit on me. Ah reckon, though, ah got a few other things ah can put up fer a stake if'n yer feelin' a game?"

The cards are dealt. Annie and a couple of her best sit down, each trying to clean out the gambler. But Bullet Jones hasn't lost a game in a coon's age. One by one, his opponents end up with their stacks in his kitty, until at last it's down to Annie and Jack. He has been goading her all night, niggling information and tells out of her as hand after hand is dealt.

Her poker face is solid, but the advantage is all on Jones. The last hand is dealt. Bullet Jones has been laying this trap all night. He pushes all in. Annie looks him dead in the eye, trying to get a read, but coming up empty. Finally, her poker face breaks, and a devilish grin spreads across her face. "I'll call you, Jones, and I know I've got you beat."

The corners of Jack's mouth turn up. Ah'll bet you do. He turns over a full house, Queens over Jacks. She smiles and turns over four Kings and a Queen. Jack lost it all. He plays incredulity. "Ah'll be...ah didn't see that one comin'. Guess you got me fair and square. Ah'll start walkin' in the mornin'. Take good care of Comet for me." He pushes the chips towards Annie. Her hands come down on his, trapping him as he leans across the table. She whispers as she pulls him closer. "I'm not interested in your horse or your gear. That was never the price...but I'll bet you know that, don't you, Jack?"
He grins and winks at her. "Ah reckon ah had a hunch."

The gorgeous gangleader pulls him from the table towards her tent. She says to him as she leads, "I wanna find out why they call you Bullet Jones."

The next morning, Jack walks out of Annie's tent, stretches, and adjusts his rig. He bounds up into Comet's saddle. He's towing a wealth of NG weaponry, e-clips, and some armor. He tips his hat as he passes the perimeter watch, headed straight for Marron.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
Weapon(s) in holster:
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Pitfall digging with Magma worms - raise for +2 bonus
Spellcasting (+1 from staff, +1 from armor)
Spellcasting [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Orrin greets Toto when he sees him outside the mess hall on the evening of his arrival.

"It's good to see you Toto" He says, trying not to stare at the Trimadore's ridiculous sombrero. "I hope Silver filled you in before you made the trip out here?" he asks.

Orrin takes time to fill the robot pilot in on the events since their meeting in the desert. He hides nothing about their dire situation, including the overwhelming numbers of Blue hand members the children counted and the ominous nature of Rill's vision.

"So that's where we stand" Orrin finishes somberly, "6 more days until the horde arrives. I'll admit that the odds are stacked against us and we could direly use your help, but we'd understand if it's too risky for you to stick around. It wasn't much for us to lend you some uranium, and certainly isn't equal to you risking your life by staying here."

Inspired by Silver's question, Orrin heads down into the drain tunnels they used to first access the town. It takes a couple hours, but he eventually triggers another magma worm attack. However, this time he tames the entire maze.
OOC Comments
A group of magma worms is referred to a maze, due to the crisscrossing holes they leave in the ground they travel through.
He spends the rest of the day working with the worms to dig pitfalls across the open field approaching of the town walls. He designs them not to be deadly, as he doesn't want to leave an untriggered trap for some poor caldorabibe...I really hope that catches on... to be killed by years after this fight is over, but they should be effective at trapping small bands of fighters with no way to get out unless their fellow fighters stop to assist. He focuses the pitfalls outside of the city walls, but builds a few at various choke points inside the city also, making sure to have a magma worm mark each with a scorch mark on the wall so that the any allies in the area will know to watch for it.

It takes a few days to do the work, and each day Orrin ventures back into the tunnels to find another maze of worms. On the last day, Orrin finishes early and takes the worms up to where the groups of children he taught ritual magic are practicing.

Though weary from their practice, the children laugh in delight as the worms fly out of the ground of the practice yard and do aerial tricks before plummeting back to the ground to sink deep into the earth as though it were made of water. Their laughter makes Orrin smile.

Its good for them to know that magic isn't only for fighting.... and good to remind myself every once and a while too...
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker

+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist

Aventure Cards:

Spill the Beans:

Update Signature
Rill
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Rill »

Fighting 10, +2 for our side
Fighting [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice] [/dice] + [dice]2[/dice](Ace!)

Rill stands among a circle of Marronite volunteers, his staff in hand and his pack and other gear off to one side. The Marronites wear unfamiliar armor and shuffle to and fro hefting vibro-weapons they clearly never touched before today.

Without preamble, Rill begins, ”The martial arts are about more than killing; much more. Practicing with a sword or staff or even with your bare hands can calm the mind and bring focus when you most need it. As we prepare for what is coming, I want you to become familiar with the weapons you now hold. They are to be your constant companions; eat with them on your belts, sleep with them beside your beds, and never be more than an arms-length away from them. We will start with your feet.”

Rill shows the volunteers how to stand, how to place their feet. He makes them practice stances for hours before letting them draw their blades, and then he runs them through katas, and then he just runs them around the town. Though kind, he is unrelenting as a teacher, and he pushes his students to the point of exhaustion before casting Sustain on them and pushing them some more.

By the third day, his group are carrying themselves with more confidence, and they no longer need the magic after training. He emphasizes the defensive advantages of proper technique, but acknowledges that his students will almost certainly be called on to kill, too.

What a strange thing to be training men to live by killing. Lord, let this all be unnecessary and let the Blue Hand turn from their path. He doesn’t expect this prayer to be answered, though, and so shouts, ”Again!” as the volunteer warriors finish their exercise.
Character Sheet
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Event:Riches
  • [dice]0[/dice]
With the arrival of Toto and Ulysses, Silver finds time to relax. He takes advantage of the Cyber Doc's services literally the first day pulling Rill into the consultation.

"Look Preacher something does not feel right with my eye. I know the ocular and visual components are gone but something burns, itches and aches inside. Please take the time you need to study this with the Doc here."

Holding open his massive paw, Silver hands the Cyber Doc both the ion implant and the wilderness scout package upgrade.

"Please my first priority is to get the internal damage fixed. If there is time then installing these should not take long."

Uncertain of what happens around him when his cyber frame is powered down, Silver does find himself dreaming once more.

The moon waxes full in his dream and the shadows in the night are long and whispy as the moonlight cuts through their weak tangibility. Standing on an outcropping near Marron, Silver looks up into the sky as heavenly orb touches the atmosphere and ignites as it streaks towards the Earth.

With a light much brighter than the moon that trails blue and white streamers, this meteor rapidly approaches the ground. Burning the flames blaze from yellow to red to blue to white but the meteor never changes in size. Silver's cyber eye shield's itself to avoid damage from the flare up but Silver tracks the trajectory across the moonlit sky to a location he judges to be nearly a day away from Marron.

His personal computer in the middle of reporting vital signs and system diagnostics, splashes a repeated message for nearly a minute.
LARGE. ASTRAL. BODY. DAY. WEST. MARRON.
Tracking 5
  • Tracking [dice]1[/dice]
  • Wild [dice]2[/dice]
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kim Black »

Kim and Inali were unloading another load of loot from the crashed Death’s Head when Jack rode back into town. Kim wiped the sweat from her forehead and beamed as the gunslinger dragged the Northern Gun supplies into the center of town.

“Jack!” Kim greeted enthusiastically, running up to him as he dismounted. She pulled up in front of him, looking up into his handsome face and smiling. “You’re back safe!”

Then Kim frowned. “Wait, are you hurt? What’s that on your collar?” She leaned in and tugged at his collar. “No, that isn’t blood. Is that...lipstick?” the teen asked, her eyes widening. She looked at Jack, tears building. “Oh, Jack! How could you!”

Kim turned and ran for the bunkhouse, rubbing at her eyes, trying not to cry. Not in front of Jack.
Character Tracking

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards

Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • UEMC

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
Mission Loot
5 Plasma grenades
4 Frag grenades
Tribe of One

Re: Day 14: The Widening Gyre

Post by Tribe of One »

The work goes even faster with Toto and Ulysses around. The former is a fair hand in the garage, and manages to get a couple of Marronites trained up to pilot the Super-Mastiff at something resembling a proficient level. The cyber-doc, meanwhile, gets his own clinic set up before going to work on Silver's mangled eye.

Leaving the general maintenance to Toto, Kim and her apprentice Inala head out of town to track down the wrecked Death's Head which, despite the fearsome reputation of Tesla Canyon, proves no real hurdle to the techno-wizard. After several trips, Kim manages to fully load the Super-Mastiff with missiles, while also recovering several crates of small arms and an intact heavy laser turret, which goes up on the wall alongside the rail guns.

Others have equally good luck. Sir Blurre encounters a tribe of Simvan raiders, led by Kavil Rendclaw, who are sworn enemies of the Blue Hand. Promising them the chance to battle their hated foe, and cultivate friendship with the Marronites, he leads 40 of the tribesman -- half of them mounted on fearsome dinosaurs -- back to the town.

Jack makes some friends -- one in particular -- of a more cultured variety. After a long night of playing cards (and other games) with caravan leader Annie Cousins, Bullet Jones returns to Marron with a veritable bounty of Northern Gun weaponry to add to the Marronites already impressive arsenal.

Those that stay behind in Marron make good use of their time, as well. Summoning a mess (or rather a maze) of magma worms, Orrin seeds the approach to the town with pitfalls and other traps, hoping to slow the Blue Hand's approach and sow confusion. Rill, meanwhile, takes up his staff and teaches his adopted flock to defend themselves from the wolves at their gates, imparting a sense of strength and self-assurance to the Marronite militia -- and finding a measure of peace for himself, as well.

Silverclaws, meanwhile, goes under the knife. In a daylong surgery, Ulysses manages to replace the wolfen's damaged cyber-eye with the pulse-firing optic implant salvaged from the 'borg Piotr. He can't quite get at the infernal bullet lodged in Silver's reinforced cranium, however, so leaves it be and sets to installing a wilderness sensory upgrade. [Technical Difficulties repaired (Devil's Sight ability remains), Wilderness Scout Package and Implanted Ion Pulse Rifle added.

As the wolfen recovers, dreaming in a medically-induced coma, the industrious preparations are interrupted by a strange occurrence in the catacombs beneath Marron. Quickly, several Marronite adults emerge and summon the available COT members below, taking them quickly to the NEMA command center, which has been scrubbed of radiation but remains largely derelict.

The centuries-old equipment is not completely lifeless, however. This time, it is the holo-console at the center of the room that has awoken, projecting ghostly images in the air. At its base, a topographical map glows an ectoplasmic green, the rise and fall of the mountains and nearby plains dotted with glowing symbols with names like "CIMARRON FOB-23," "LOS ALAMO EC-6," and, even farther afield, buried in ethereal mountains, "NORAD CC1."

Above the false geography, telemetric data flashes and disappears in static. Far above, near the ceiling, dots of light move to and fro, bearing designations like "Unidentified Spacecraft A-5." Other, stationary dots bear names like "SAT-Q5" and "SAT-T18." The stationary objects flash aggressively, and one by one, the unidentified craft blink out.

A radio transmission cuts in and out through it all, the female voice on the other end the same as the one you heard when opening the armory activated an earlier connection.

<<... watch that kill-sat Jensen, no don't ... frag, no not there ... retry connection, again, Yes! again! ... NORAD Central Command, does anyone read, NORAD Central Command ... try it again, I said ... no! Reroute power to the aft thrusters, full burn ... Shit! There's goes atmosphere ... suits holding ... keep it together ... fuck you, you big blue bastard, I'm coming ...>>

A single unidentified craft emerges from the cloud of satellites, moving erratically as it continues its fall toward the ground. Warnings flash as the craft apparently exceeds various critical thresholds, blinks in and out then crashes to the holographic ground, in a mountainous region west of Marron marked "Angel Fire." (Map)

The transmission goes dead.

[With a Knowledge: Electronics check at -4, an observer could capture the telemetric data and maps with minimal corruption.]

Traveling to the crash site takes about a day, due to the mountainous terrain, so getting there, looking around and then coming back counts as a Special Task for the period. If anyone wants to try it, let me know and I'll PM the details once you've made your Trait roll.

Preparations and resources so far:
  • 5 tokens of Marronite militia, low quality (+1 each) = 5
  • Skelebot alarm system + light railgun turrets = +2
  • Functional Super-Mastiff w/full load of missiles = +4
  • Orrin teaches spells to kids = +2
  • Blurre teaches rescue drills = Automatically save 2 tokens worth of casualties
  • Silver scouts ambush locations = +1
  • Jack trains shooters = +2
  • Rill sets up triage centers = 50 percent chance to save 1 token worth of casualties
  • Toto the Texas Tech = +2 bonus in battle and he can provide a +2 bonus to a Repair or training-related roll each prep period.
  • Ulysses, the Cyber-Doc = Automatically save 1 token worth of casualties and can install/repair cyberware
  • Kim salvages Coalition wargear and rigs up a heavy laser turret = +4
  • Sir Blurre recruits one token of mounted Simvan (+3) and one token of Simvan on foot (+2)
  • Jack gets a whole bunch of NG weapons and armor for the militia (+3)
  • Orrin uses magma worms to dig pit traps (+2)
  • Rill trains Marronites in self-defense (+2)
  • Silver undergoes cyber-surgery

A Plague Approaches

You now have a final three-day period in which to prepare, covering Days 8 to 10.

If you use the same skill you used in the previous period, you suffer a -2 to your roll.

• You complete a special task or do something else that doesn't directly translate to a mass battle bonus, like working on a TW conversion, getting cyberware installed or repaired, etc. Special Tasks available this period including refurbishing the NEMA weapons recovered from the facility below Marron (no one's done it yet, automatic +2 if someone does it) or investigating the crash site in Angel Fire.

Event Cards

TL,DR: Three days left, and something just crashed into the mountains west of town ... Make one more Trait roll of choice to determine how your preparation efforts pay off over the next three days, and narrate to suit.
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

With all the radiation and dirt and dust and such things, the cleanest place to operate on Silver was in the recently cleaned NEMA vault. Needing a secondary source of power, Silver's personal data jack was plugged into the only working databank in the vault. Power connected, Silver was powered down and put into minimal life support.

Because he was jacked into the databank, when the system alert came through, information began downloading into his personal computer (PIPBOY 3000). Silver's speakers began relaying the information as soon as NORAD uploaded. With telemetrics that began displaying, Silver's security array did its best to analyze the data and locations and the surrounding areas for location infromation.
Unskilled Hacker, K/Electronics 14, success, 2 raises
  • K/Electronics [dice]3[/dice]
  • Wild [dice]4[/dice]
  • Aced Wild [dice]5[/dice]
  • Expanded Detection and Security Array: Radar, sonar and motion detectors grant 360 degree awareness of surroundings; +2 to Notice checks
  • Core Electronics Package: Mini-computer and interface jack, radio with 20 mile range; +4 to appropriate Repair checks and Common Knowledge rolls
  • Optics Package: +2 to sight-based Notice checks
Silver may not know K/Electronics but he could certainly store the data, even if the images were a bit grainy.
Would consider the K/Electronics (unskilled) 1d4-2.
The above cyber would grant a 1d4+6.
Tracking 6
  • Tracking [dice]0[/dice]
  • Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Event Card
[dice]2[/dice]
Clubs - Some sort of disaster strikes. Maybe it's a dust storm, or an alien whale falls from the sky. Maybe a rift opens and a horde of demons falls through ... whatever it is, it's no good for you or Marron. Subtract 1d6 from the town's accumulated bonuses. Alternatively, you can take 1d3 Wounds, each of which takes 1 day to recover.
Silver pays little attention to anyone else in Marron as he heads his way out into the desert.

As he departs the air is acrid as the wind seems to be blowing in from the direction of the crash. Armed for survival, Silver takes the day long trek to the crash site. His Pip Boy 3000 continues tick of distances to the crash site.

Deep in thought, Silver approaches the rim of the crash site crater. A mile to the center of impact Silver can make out the odd shape of a buried box car. At least it looks like a box car from where he is.

Silver decides to sit down on the rim of the site. Sitting he realizes that the lip where he sits is made of hardened lava or at least super heated sand. The area disturbed by the crash is sandy and appears to have nothing in common with the hard surface Silver is sitting on.

Silver stares across to the crashed cargo container, which is still in pretty good condition, at least from what he can see.
Last edited by Silverclaws on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
Sir Blurre
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sir Blurre »

OOC Comments
Training Drills:

Fighting [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Fighting [dice]1[/dice]
Ace Fighting [dice]2[/dice]

In addition to the above, playing an Adventure Card to gain a d6 for the remainder of the session in Knowledge: Battle.
Sir Blurre looks over the preparations that have been made so far, and sighs heavily. We have gears, and allies, now, and I'm sure the others will get more. And yet, I doubt it will be enough. Still, he hesitates. He knows they need training, close-combat training to deal with a siege perpetrated by those who can fly over the walls. But that type of fighting can be ugly and brutal, and it weighs on his heart to think he must teach peaceful people how to kill.

On the evening of the 7th day, he sits on a mesa, looking to the setting sun. Are we doing the right thing, here? Should we have tried to pack up and run when we still might have had a chance?

He decides to sleep on it, and get a new perspective in the morning.

He stands upon a pillar of white marble, in a deep river valley. Others stand nearby, on pillars of their own. Few are as high or as gleaming as his. On the horizon, as seen along one end of the valley, a dark storm brews; lightning flashes between towering thunderheads, to be followed moments later by great, rolling booms that echo through the valley. Seeing his companions quail, especially those on the lowest pillars, he calls out words of encouragement. "Stay strong! Trust in your pillar to keep you safe!"

The scent of the rain is on the wind, now, whipping through the valley, lashing at everyone, but still they stay strong, and brave, every last one of them heeding his words. They stay on their pillars, some even fastening bondings to keep from being blown off, or crouching down to hold on better. He smiles at their courage.

A tremble passes through the valley. No thunder, this, but a tremor, low and ominous, coming up through the soil. And mere breaths later, the first of the waters comes, turgid and violent, ripping through the vale.

The first waters are clear, a river that has overflown its banks. And when some of the lowest pillars are beset, and seem in danger of being submerged, he leaps down to them, boosting the occupants to their higher neighbors. "Trust the pillars. Remain true!"

Then, the waters begin to change--mud and silt darken the flood, making it foul and unclean. He leaps back to his pillar, staying above the vile torment. He pauses to rescue someone, and is appalled when his shining white cloak is spattered with befouled waters coming over the top of the pillar. He jumps again, depositing them on a nearby pedestal as he goes, and back to his own roost. Secure, he stands above the river as it grows more and more dense, almost seeming to resemble a mudslide more than a proper flood.

And the waters change again; he realizes that they are fouled, not merely with mud and dirt, but with waste, and blood. It is now a combination of sewage and offal. THe stench is overwhelming. He hears cries, but he cannot get to those who need help, without falling into the muck and mire himself. He holds on, standing above it all, remaining clean, even as the valley is deluged. At one point, he sees a figure, like him yet unlike, swimming in the flood. He tries desperately to reach her, but he cannot, not without entering the waters himself, and soon she passes by.

Soon, the storm passes, as all storms must. The valley is devastated; most of the pillars were not tall enough to remain above the vile tide; many were not strong enough to remain upright, and were swept away with their occupants. The carnage is horrific.

The sun, hot and bright, dries the soil below, and he descends to the valley floor. It is littered with the corpses of those he vowed to save.

A voice speaks from behind him.

"Really, it's as much my fault, as anyone's. I should have taken you to Tokeen."

Looking around at the dead and maimed, he shakes his head in confusion. "You said you couldn't. You needed us to remain behind, to do your duties."

A soft chuff. "No. I left you and your sister behind because I was too protective. I wanted you to be safe, clean. But that meant I failed to teach you one of the most important lessons." There is a pause, and the voice continues. "Your sister failed to learn how to handle getting dirty without diving in. And you failed to understand that sometimes, you must enter the waters, lest others drown. That pedestal was not your salvation, Sir Blurre. It was your prison."

He wakes with a sharp cry, and curls up for a moment, sobbing from the intensity of the dream.

Then he goes down to the town, and calls forth those who have volunteered for militia duty. "I have taught you, as best I can, how to fight with honor, and defensively. But sometimes... sometimes, we must get our hands dirty. For the next three days, I will train you all in close-quarters fighting. It is a brutal form of warfare, where it is easy to lose yourself in the flood of adrenaline and rage. It is a frightening thing, to be faced with the prospect of losing yourself, and it is natural to recoil from it--but you cannot let that fear keep you from acting, or those you love will pay the price."

And so the drills begin. He works with the Simvan, asking them for advice on how best to simulate real combat conditions without actually injuring the trainees. "Think of them as Simvan youth, being prepared for their rites of passage." The Simvan laugh at that notion, but come up with useful ideas--a mud-puddle, a smoky bonfire, unstable wooden piles they must stand on to fight. Confounding and confusing the trainees' senses, making it harder for them to keep in mind this is just an exercise, and that there is no real danger.

Eventually, he introduces sharp sticks to their training--not sturdy enough to truly stab deeply, but enough to leave a scar or a mark if they strike. And so the Marronites learn the lessons that only pain can bring--why you can't just boldly charge without seeing to your own defense, but also why you cannot just hang back and let your opponent jab endlessly until they score a hit. And by the time he's done, a few of the Marronites are able to actually hold their own against an unmounted Simvan in a one-on-one duel. No small feat, that (even if he cannot help but note that these tend to be the smallest of the reptilians).
Sir Blurre
Quick Stats
Quick-Flex Cyber-Knight

Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kim Black »

New Mexico/Marron
Many days
Round 0

Kim sighed, looking over the NEMA armory. She glanced at Toto. “You ready to go to work?” Kim asked.

“Ayup,” the robot jock said.

Inala started organizing the dozen or so Marronites that had volunteered to help, those showing the most promise with repair work. They cleared some central tables of all but tools.

“Okay. We’re going to be field stripping all of these weapons,” Kim said as Toto wheeled in a crate of old NEMA hardware. “Make sure all the energy contacts are cleaned and the exhaust ports cleared. Make sure all the e-cells are charged.”

With that, Kim got everyone to work.
Special task: Refurbishing NEMA weapons 13; 2 Raises
+2 Machine Maestro, +2 Toto, +1 Multi-Tool, +2 UEMC
Repair [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Work schedule
Day 5: Convert Sky Siren to TW. Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 6: Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 7: Salvaging the Death’s Head
Day 8: Refurbishing NEMA weapons
Day 9: Refurbishing NEMA weapons
Day 10: Refurbishing NEMA weapons
Actions
Character Tracking
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13 (7)

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
UEMC (10 charges)
Adventure Cards

To Do
Add TW Piloting upgrades to Sky Siren. Convert Desert Fox and add TW piloting
Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover

Mission Loot
5 Plasma
4 High Explosive
4 Armor Piercing
4 Frag
Character Tracking

• 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards

Equipment
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • UEMC

Vehicles
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Mini Rail Gun
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • Size 2
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
Mission Loot
5 Plasma grenades
4 Frag grenades
Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Intimidation and Persuasion
Intimidation
[dice]0[/dice]

WD Intimidation
[dice]1[/dice]

Card shifts to Hearts from Clubs
Persuasion to talk them into joining the fight
[dice]2[/dice]

Ace Persuasion with prior
[dice]4[/dice]

2nd Ace Persuasion with prior
[dice]5[/dice]

WD Persuasion
[dice]3[/dice]
Jack smiles as Kim welcomes him back. He tips his hat to her. "Howdy, darlin'." The discovery of Annie Cousins' calling card on his collar went as well as you might expect. "Aw, shucks, darlin', that was a..." but she's already run off. He sighs. Better that she get the idea. Can't mess where ya eat, Jones. Still...what in tarnation were you thinkin'? You usually check yerself over better'n that.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
Weapon(s) in holster:
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Rill
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Rill »

Psionics 6
Psionics [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Benny to reroll
Psionics [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Rill sits cross-legged, staff resting across his knees and head bowed as if in prayer. He focuses his mind on the task ahead; the Almighty had given him a vision of the coming of their foes, but that had been days ago. Now, in order to properly place the city's defenses, they need more information.

And so he begins to cast his consciousness out into the sky, pushing himself farther and farther up and farther and farther away, looking and listening for any sign of their attackers. He checks the ley line first, running up and down its length, remembering that his vision foretold that the Blue Hand would draw from it. He then checks the desert round about, "running" for miles in every direction, alert for dust clouds, tracks, or anything else that might signal the passage of a large force. Even if they had mages aplenty, it would be practically impossible for the Blue Hand to hide so many fighters at once, and Rill decides to count this as a small mercy.

He burns through his inner ISP, and then through his PPE, before catching a ride with a group of his students, heading out to the ley line to recharge, and then setting right back to the task at hand. Every bit of information I can learn could save the life of one of our allies, or even the life of one of our attackers, if we can dissuade them or scare them off. He channels a little miracle to chase away his own fatigue, and he continues his watch. He would be of use in the coming conflict, one way or another.
Character Sheet
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Knowledge History 12
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Knowledge History [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
EE [dice]4[/dice] (Forgot Elan, so 12)

-1Bennie
Orrin itches to join Silver and Jack as they investigate what he can only assume is the crash site of whoever sent those recent transmissions. However, something has been bothering him for the last few days that he has to resolved.

'If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame'....

Orrin interrupts Blurrs training and pulls the cyber knight aside.

"It's fairly obvious that you are the obvious choice to lead the battle once the fighting starts," Orrin says, waving away any of the quick-flex's modest denials "You are definitely most suited to giving battle commands. But we are going to have to figure out how you are going to give those commands. We don't have enough radios to effectively command our entire force, and they wouldn't be secure even if we did."

Many different peoples had developed effective and creative ways of communicating during large scale conflict, but they had a limited amount of time to train everyone, so Orrin honed in on two specific modes. He works with Blurr the rest of the afternoon to develop what basic commands they should be able to communicate, and then spends the next couple of days training a small corps of field communication specialists, which is a fancy term for flag wavers and drum beaters.

"Good, Tawyn" Orrin says, nodding to the middle-aged caldorabibe. No one else had started using the term yet, but Orrin was sure that if he used it enough it would become common-place outside of Marron. "Now, sound the retreat for calvary unit 3". The deep base of the drum beat Tawyn was maintaining, quickens and the pattern changes subtly. Orrin looks down the practice field to see the communication specialist there flick his flags in quick but distinct series of motions.

"Calvary....Unit 3... retreat...." Orrin mutters as the flags swing up and down.

Looks like he understood the order... This might actually work! Orrin thinks, breaking into a smile. And to think my federation class mates teased me for reading a book about "Art"...
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker

+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist

Aventure Cards:

Spill the Beans:

Update Signature
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Still in a crouch, "Wondered how long it would take before some showed up."

Silver does not look up but hears Jack dismount. "Interesting object to fall from the sky. Heard somewhere that there are actually floating sky cities out where we can not see them. Wonder if that metal container was dropped or if it fell on its own."

As Jack approaches the break between onyx rock and desert sands, Silver reaches up and stops the man. With one finger from his paw held up as a sign to wait, Silver picks up a sizeable chunk of rock from nearby and hurls it about halfway between them and the container. No sooner does the rock plunk into the sand than two massive creatures come rocketing out of the sand and fall onto the rock.

"Pretty effiecent guard dogs, don't you think?"

Standing up Silver walks along the black glassy surface to a spot roughly twenty feet counter clockwise. "What we are looking for made those tracks. Without disturbing the Sand Sharks."
Attachments
Sand Sharks of Athas.jpg
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _
Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Rolls held from prior post

On a lark, or maybe it was curiosity, Jack decides to ride out after Silver. Something about that crash piqued his interest. Rather than intrude on the wolfen's solitude, Jack held back a few hundred yards, just enough to keep him in sight. He was sure Silver still knew he was there, but if the massive wolf man needed some alone time, Jack wasn't about to interrupt it.
He rode on until the crash site started to come into view. Patting his robot horse on the neck, he dismounted, still giving Silver a wide berth.
Guess he don't need the solitude no more. he thinks, as Silver gestures him forward. Jack is momentarily taken aback by the appearance of the sand sharks. Don't recollect ever seein' somethin' like that. This world ain't nasty enough without damn sand sharks?
Jack's musings are cut short, however, by an alarm going off in his head. He leaps clear, telekinetically pulling Silver away from his perch, just as two more sharks leap from the earth. "The sam hill?! Quit throwin' rocks at the wildlife, Silver!"
Jack sets the wolfen down next to him, trying to think of a way out of their predicament. Two fins jab up out of the ground, circling the stranded heroes. "Shucks, Silver. Ah don't reckon it'll do us any good to tell 'em you ain't gonna taste good what with all that metal in ya?"

Jack's been in enough high stakes poker games to know when a hint gets picked up, even when the poker face is all teeth. He'd swear one of the sharks peeked out of the ground at him. Or maybe at Silver. Well, ah'll be a monkey's... "And ah'll be damned if that woman didn't give me a case a' the creepin' crud. Ah'm gonna get ate by sand sharks after pullin' some kinda disease. Guess these varmints're gonna get a case of ol' Monty's Revenge. Whaddya reckon, Silver? Think sand sharks can catch a case a' the screamin' shits from eatin' someone with some kinda critter in his crotch?"

Two more of the creatures have joined the circle, but for whatever reason, they're not closing. "Well, come on then. Dinner's served! Even the big'un here ain't gonna fill the whole pack. Might as well get ta nibblin', then get a move on fer the next meal. Lord knows yer gonna need it. Heck, 'tween the...damn, a dozen of ya? The two of us ain't even gonna do more'n whet yer appetite. Silver here's more metal'n meat anyway." He holds a hand up to stifle any comment the wolfen might make. "Too bad, too. We were gonna leave us a whole feast in the sands out near that town, but ah guess the birds'll get 'em instead."

One of the sharks peeks its head above the sand, eyes locked on the gambler. They don't stop swimming. They never stop swimming. But, in confirmation of Jack's suspicion, the sand shark speaks. "You're a liar."
Jack grins. "You known yer food ta lie 'fore it gets et?"
The beast peeks its head above...sand, again. "What feast?"

Jack proceeds to explain the situation. 200 some bodies, some in metal skins, but plenty of meat on the inside, and all of them fair game, except one. Forgoing this meal and tiding themselves over on random desert creatures until a couple days from now nets them a smorgasbord that'll feed the whole frenzy of sand sharks for days. "And if ya find a metal skin, holler. Ah'm sure Silver or ah'll be willin' ta peel the meaty bits outta there."

The creature responds in as sinister a voice as you could imagine a shark having, if sharks had voices. "And if we eat you right now?"
Jack, as relaxed as if he's negotiating how many strips of bacon he's getting with his breakfast, chuckles. "Karka, it's a big wide world out here. You like yer odds findin' this feast in the next two days 'fore the buzzards get the juicy stuff? Go on ahead. Ah've made my peace. Spent time with a real sweet lady couple days ago. Ain't got no regrets." The gambler places the biggest bet of his life so far. "Get eatin'. Ah ain't goin' peaceful-like, but ah ain't fendin' off yer whole pack. Ah count 30 fins, and y'all just keep poppin' up. How'd ya say you're gonna share these two morsels? One a' yer boys gonna get cross if he breaks a tooth on the metal one here? Go on." And with that, Jack strolls out in the midst of the swarming sharks. One or two swim real close, but no moves are made and no nips are taken. "Come on now! Ah done said my prayers. Y'all gonna eat?"

Karka, the lead shark, glares Jack in the eye. "This feast better be worth it."

Bullet Jones grins again. They ain't gonna believe what we're bringin' back.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
Weapon(s) in holster:
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Silverclaws
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Silverclaws »

Silver smiles as Jack talks some sense into the Shark frenzy noting a shiver going through the entire gathering as he mentions two hundred juicy, mostly juicy bodies.

"Well now that you have sweat talked the lot of them, it is time to direct them."

Silver stands up and pulls out the JA-11 rifle out of its traveling sheath. Walking back the way they had come he heads about a hundred feet and fires a solid round into the ground. "Jack, let Karka know to follow the concusion blast as we walk back. We will need to put them in an area maybe a few miles out from Marron."

"Thanks for following me out and having my back. I am sure they could have taken me down eventually. But talking them down was better all the way around."

"Maybe Karka can tell us where the passenger went from the pod."

Silver waits until Jack gives the signal and Silver makes his way through the surroundings back to Marron using the rifle blast to direct the Shark Frenzy to a new feeding ground.

"Jack these sharks may prove to be valued long term security for Marron."
Silverclaws
Quick Stats _
Combat Edges:
Relevant Edges:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Chain Greatsword
Adventure Cards _

Return to “Adventure Archive”