A Wishing Well in the West: Interludes

Tribe of One

A Wishing Well in the West: Interludes

Post by Tribe of One »

A week after the battle, Marron remains a hive of activity. Traders from Springer and Laughlin have come, ready to barter tools and water filters and dry goods for weapons and scrap. Rebuilding continues, as walls are rebuilt and reinforced, stronger than before in case the Blue Hand, or someone like them, should ever return.

All that activity makes the scene by the water tanks that much more noteworthy, half a dozen Marronite teens gathered around Ulysses in confused stillness as the cyber-doc passes around a handful of battered coins, each one stamped with the face of some southern warlord.

"No, no. It's not that the coin's have any particular use, beyond bartering. You just use them to trade for other things, like say you had a laser-knife, Kave, and I wanted it, so I'd give you like 20 of these coins and you'd give me the laser-knife."

The kid, Kave, screws up his face.

"But why would I trade my laser-knife for these metal things? They don't do anything. If I had a laser-knife, I could cut steel or carve stone, or use it to start a fire to cook with. That is value. What value do the metal discs have?"

"Well, it's whatever value you put on them ...," Ulysses starts, then gives up. "Aw, hell, you know what these are really good for, is making wishes."

The cyber-doc flips one of the coins in to the stock tank, which had been set up to water the simvan tribes' monstrous mounts.

"See, it's a little like magic. You hold one of these between your fingers, like so, and you think real hard about something you want, maybe a nice new laser-knife, or maybe something like, you want to return home someday, or grow wings and fly in the air like Seswarick. It can be anything, just so long as it's something you really truly want. You fix that wish in your mind and you flip your coin into the well here, and it's supposed to come true, someday."

"And what do you wish for, Doctor U?" one girl asks.

The cyber-doc stares into the west with a wistful look on his face.

"Used to be I'd dream of getting rich, or having a big lab full of Golden Age equipment ... but these days I find myself thinking about a woman I knew down in Houstown, wishing I'd made some different choices. Wishing I'd stuck around, or maybe had a shot at a second chance."

Spotting you, he smiles gratefully, needing some backup.

"How about you? Big damn heroes always carry some big hopes in their saddlebags. Any big hopes or regrets or tasks undone that have you wishing on a star while out on the trail?"
well-330x330.jpg
well-330x330.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 6622 times

Interlude opportunity! Spin a tale about a wish or goal your character has that you'd me to work into the next campaign arc. It could be something from your backstory or an earlier encounter you'd like to see developed or resolved, or a piece of gear your character is dying to acquire. When you're done, take 1 XP and add it to your total, along with a Red Benny (which when used acts like a normal Benny, but also adds +1d6 to the roll) that can be used to further that goal in some way.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Kim Black
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: A Wishing Well in the West: Interludes

Post by Kim Black »

New Mexico/Marron
Morning
Round 0

Kim listened to Doc’s question with a wistful smile. She took one of the coins, turning it in her grease-stained fingers. “Does this really work?” she asked Doc, both amused and sad as memories came to her. She looked down, touching the chest plate of the combat mage armor she wore. “This belonged to my mom,” she said. “I wish...well, I wish she were still alive, so I could tell her I love her, so we could work on that old red wagon together.” Kim rubbed the coin. “She used to teach me about techno-wizardry. Those were some of the best times of my life.” Kim took a breath. “I miss her. I miss my dad. Aunt Sara, even though I never really met her. I guess this team is my family now.”

Kim kissed the coin and flipped it into the well.
Character Tracking
Kim Black Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (7)
PPE: 14/20
Bennies: 2/3
Arcane Machinist (5/6): armor, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, clairvoyance, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fly, havoc, healing, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, pummel, quickness, slumber, smite, speak language, speed, stun, succor, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker, warrior’s gift.
Ace: May make Soak rolls for vehicles at -2

Backpack of Shooting Stars
  • 42/42 shots
  • PPE 10/10
Device: Boost Trait (Shooting)
  • PPE 13/17
Hellfire Sword
  • PPE 10/10
Jammer Pistol
  • 10/10 shots
UEMC (10 charges/e-clip)
Adventure Cards
  • Theme Song: It’s one of those “inspiring music movie moments” when the heroes get their second wind! You and all allies who can see your signal or hear your voice (walkie-talkies count) recover automatically from Shaken status and any Fear effects, due to your inspiring words.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un-Shaken now as well.
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.

Equipment
This should be about at her load limit of 30 lb.
  • Backpack of Shooting Stars
  • Combat Mage Armor
  • TK Revolver
  • Hellfire Sword
  • Tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Survival knife
  • Wooden cross
  • Canteen
  • Rations
  • Multitool: +1 Repair
  • UEMC

Vehicles
Northern Gun Sky Siren (Mountaineer w/ hover)(TW)
Ostensibly designed as a civilian vehicle, the NG Sky Siren is a rugged, but agile, hover transport with plenty of room for combat upgrades. The nuclear engine provides near limitless range, while the powerful hoverjets give it a max altitude of about 20 feet, although it is capable of handling drops of up to 100 feet.
  • Light Missile Launcher (turret)
    • Damage: 5d6 MBT MD AP 13 (anti-vehicle missiles)
    • Range: 150/300/600
    • Shots: 8
      • 1 reload of 8 shots (anti-vehicle)
    • Reload: 3000/missile/total=24k credits
  • Light Rail Gun (forward mounted)
    • Damage: 2d10+4, ROF 3, AP 10
    • Range: 100/200/400
    • Shots: 45
    • Reload: 10,000 credits
  • Size 5
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Toughness 25 (14)
  • Crew 1+5
  • Remaining Mods: 1
  • Handling 1
  • Hover
  • Environmental systems
  • MDC Armor
  • Sensor suite
  • TW Minor Mods: +2 Piloting
  • TW Major Mods: +4 die types to Piloting
  • Cantrip: Purple flame light on the front grill
Desert Fox Hovercycle (stats of NG-150): Combining solar cells and a powerful electric engine, the Desert Fox has a range of 600 miles and a max ceiling of 20 feet, before it needs a night’s recharge. (153,000 credits)
  • NG-E4 Plasma Ejector
    • Damage: 3d10
    • Range: 24/48/96
    • ROF 1
  • Size 2
  • Acc/TS 12/60
  • Toughness 11 (4)
  • Crew 1+1
  • Remaining Mods 1
  • Notes: Exposed Crew, Handling 3, Hover
Police Hovercycle (Speedster hovercycle)
  • Mini Rail Gun
    • Damage: 2d8+4, ROF 4, AP6
    • Range: 75/150/300
    • Shots: 32
  • Toughness 17 (8)
  • ACC/TS: 15/80
  • Size 2
  • Crew: 1
  • Exposed Crew, Hover
Big Boss ATV (space girl has it currently)
  • Toughness 23 (12)
  • Acc/TS 15/60
  • Size 4
  • Crew 1+3
  • Remaining Mods 2
  • Notes: All-Terrain, M.D.C. Armor
Mission Loot
494,000 credits in salvage/misc gear and cyberwear
A pair of pearl-handled TX-26 Particle Beam Pistols previously owned by Dutch (Range 10/20/40, Damage 2d8+3, RoF 1, AP 2, Semiauto)
A pair of Infernal Sixguns made of smoking black iron, previously "owned" by Hex (Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d8, RoF 1, AP 4, +2d Shooting, gain Vow: Serve the Devil).
A TW shard pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 2d8+1, RoF 3, AP 1, 3RB, lower trait (Vigor) activated by Shooting)
A vehicular Light Rail Gun salvaged from Oso's otherwise-scrapped power armor (Range 100/200/400, Damage 2d10+4, RoF 3, AP 10, Mega Damage)
Bandit IP-44 Super Ion Pistols (as NG-59, Range 10/20/40, Damage 1-3d6, RoF 1, plus single-shot grenade launcher loaded with plasma, Range 12/24/48, Damage 3d10, ignores all but sealed armor, SBT), ammo belt includes 6 spare plasma grenades
5 Plasma grenades
4 High Explosive grenades
4 Armor Piercing grenades
4 Frag grenades
Tito

Post by Tito »

Tito looks at the coin and shouts, "Whooa! BADASS! This well grants wishes?!"

His face scrunches up and he thinks for a minute before saying, "I don't know, man. I get free food and you guys seem nice. I have Whomper and Whoop-ass, and I'm such a badass, so I don't really think I need anything else...You know what would be nice, though? If I knew Rocko was ok, man."

"Rocko is my friend. He's a dog boy like me! He's not badass like me, but he is a really good dog boy. He's the one who made sure my armor fits. Oh, and Whoop-Ass too. He's really good with guns and stuff. We split up, so I don't know where he's at or if he's OK. I'm not around to protect him any more, and he isn't good at much but playing with machines. I hope he found a place with nice people like you guys," Tito says with a bit of melancholy to his tone.

Tito takes a coin from the doc and flips it into the well. He waits a moment and says, "I really hope your wish well works, Doc. I miss Rocko, he was one of my only friends before I came here."
Tito, Chihuagoyle Dog boy
Tito, Dog Boy Super Soldier
Pace: 6; Parry: 8 Toughness: 17(5)/20(5)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Battle Hardened: +2 to Soak rolls
    Berserk: Smarts roll when wounded or go berserk. Parry -1; +2 Fighting/Strength/Melee Damage/Toughness. Ignore all wound modifiers, but cannot use skills, Edges, or maneuvers requiring concentration, including Shooting/taunt but not Intimidation. Fighting die of 1 = hit random adjacent target, including friends. No adjacent on a 1 = attack misses.
    Death from Above: If combined with a Fighting attack, the leaper may add his level [+4] to any damage caused at the end of his jump.
    Elan: +2 to the final total of any Trait rerolled with a Benny.
    Frenzy: Make two attacks with one weapon. Fighting -2.
    Quick: Redraw initiative 5 or less until higher than 5. Stacks with (I)LH.
    Level Headed: Draw an additional initiative card.
    Rock and roll!: If no movement during round, ignore full auto penalty.
    Size -1/+1: Size -1/+1
    Strong Willed: +2 to Taunt/Intimidate; +2 Smarts/Spirit vs Tests of Will.
Wounds: 3/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Cards
  • Spill the Beans: The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.
Edit Signature
Seswarick
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Seswarick »

Examining the coin with a thoughtful look, "We have a similar custom back home, but we paint our desire on a small, flat stone and fling it from the balcony of the city into canyon below. As a child my wish was most often to do exactly this." He motions to encompass the CoT. "Traveling with others of a like mind, aiding those in need. I would listen to the stories of returning Skyknights and dream of being one myself. However those with my particular gifts traditionally stay near home, we Stormborn are few and by far Tryth-Sals most potent defense against technological foes. So instead I flew with patrols the hewed closer to home.

His face becomes serious, "I would like to solve a matter that is both personal and a possible security issue for my people. On patrol nearly a year ago we were decieved and ambushed by some slavers. They captured us briefly but we won free and, I am ashamed to admit, killed most of them. From the survivors we learned their master, a black market slaver named Mr. Gone, had been hired by an outside source specifically to capture Lyn-Srial. I would like very much to find out who, why, and convince them to stop." He looks reverently to the sky for a moment and then flips the coin into the well.
Active Effects:
  • Time Twister belt:(when activated) -2 to ranged attacks against wearer, +2 to wearers parry, 4x pace
    Stormheart: +4 to armor of Electric Aura power, +2 die type to vigor, and gain Dodge edge when active. Cost 2 ISP/hr
Exalted deflection -6 to be hit
[/list]
Seswarick
Seswarick
Pace: 4/12 flying, 16/48 w belt; Parry: 5/7 w belt Toughness: 5 regular 11(6) w aura 17(10) w aura & Stormheart
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities:
    Elan: When you spend a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls), add +2 to the final total.
    Time Twister belt:(when activated) -2 to ranged attacks against wearer, +2 to wearers parry, 4x pace
    Stormheart: +4 to armor of Electric Aura power, +2 die type to vigor, and gain Dodge edge when active. Cost 2 ISP/hr
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 11/40
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Cards
  • #: Card - Effect
    10 Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Edit Signature

Characters Seswarick (Main Acc), Barinthasheer, Antipas, Harris LaVode, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Madok The Restless
Jack 'Bullet' Jones
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Jack 'Bullet' Jones »

Jack watches the goings-on with a note of distaste. Tetched in the head is what this is. Hare-brained, throwin' coins at wells. Of course, it would take a powerful psychic to read what's underneath the stone poker face. He simply looks on as Ulysses tries to convey the meaning behind the superstition. He puts on his best, jovial smile when the doc asks him about his hopes. Tipping his hat back, he rambles a little. "Shucks, ah'm a simple fella. Don't need a whole lot in life. A lady, someday, fer good. Don't rightly know whether ma and paw got any grandkids outta them brothers a' mine...well..." The gambler trails off, then looks down at the coin Ulysses handed him.
Wonder if ah'll ever find out...
He stares down into his palm, as if the coin in his hand showed the mysteries of the future on its face. With a slight tremble in his voice, uncharacteristic for the control he normally has over his emotions, he offers a concern. "Ah reckon...ah got a fella who thinks ah done him wrong. On my honor, ah didn't do what he said. Sure as shootin' didn't do worse'n what he was doin' ta me. Well, he's got a burr under his saddle fer me. Even spotted one a' his hired hands mixed up in the fight at the gate here. Gave me fits."
His eyes are glued to the coin. He probes it around in his hands, lets the coin roll across his fingers, and finally clamps his hand shut. "Ah ain't been home since ah got taken outta there. It's been long enough, ah don't know if ma and paw would recognize me, or even wanna see me after takin' off. They ain't got no way of knowin' that ah didn't run away. And ah ain't got no way of knowin' if...they're alright."
The gambler looks up at the cyber-doc. "Ah'm sure ah could go home any old time. There's enough folk that can fiddle with the lines and rifts to where they might could send me back. Ah'm scared, though. Ah don't know if Samedi might'a found 'em an' gone after 'em fer payback, or if ah went back, that might be a tell he'd use 'gainst me. Ah ain't gonna go off all half-cocked and lead that hoodoo sumbitch right to my family."
The gambler's eyes mist up...just a little. "Reckon, pardner, if ah had one wish ah could chuck inta the well here, ah'd wanna know if'n they're alright. Maybe...maybe let them know ah didn't run off, an' that ah'm okay, an' ah'm doin' right by folk."
He looks back down at the coin, willing his wish onto the face of it. Then, with the practiced hand of a gambler who has cast many a chip into a pot with a wish for a win, he flicks his thumb, sending the coin tumbling end-over-end into the well. "Doc." He straightens up, tips his hat to the crowd near the well, and moves off to see to preparing Comet for the road.
Bullet Jones
Jack "Bullet" Jones
Current Status Post
Bennies: 2/3
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 5
Toughness: 14 (6)
ISP: 38 / 50
Active Powers: Greater Boost Trait - Shooting (+2 die types); Greater Smite (PHC, silver, raise); Greater Deflection (raise, -6 to hit)
Pace: 6
Pertinent Edges: Master Psionic, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Strong Willed, Ambidextrous, Two Fisted, Quick, Elan
Armor: TW Lucky Devil's Duster
  • +6 Armor
  • +1 Toughness
  • FEP
  • +2 Gambling
  • Armor, Quickness, Invisibility powers
Weapon(s) in holster:
Right hand: PHC
Left hand: Hellfire Hand Cannon
Telekinesis: inactive
Adventure Cards:
  • none drawn yet
Edit Signature
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Orrin Truthseeker »

Orrin is able to suppress a derisive snort - barely - as Ulysses hands out the coins. Orrin knows how magic truly works, and the only wish that will come true from tossing coins into a well is to be poor.

As various members of the legion open up though, Orrin finds his heart softening. As each member of team voices their desires, he finds himself idly rolling the coin over in his hand. His mind wanders to the night the Coalition States had attacked Black Mesa. It seemed like ages ago, but it had only been, what, 2 weeks? He thinks on the images of Stella, as seen through his arcane sight. A mystic figure of both beauty and power, emanating a light that was both fearsome and soothing at the same time.

What was she? he thinks.

He focuses on that thought as one by one the others toss their coin into the well. Before he realizes it, they've all left, wandering back to their tasks, preparing to leave in search of NORAD.

Orrin looks down at his coin one more time, and with a shrug, tosses it into the well before turning back toward the town.
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; PPE: 15/35; Staff PPE: 10/10; Armor PPE: 10/10

Parry: 4+1
Pace: 5+2
Toughness: 16 (6)
Active Effects Staff:, Spellcasting +1, Parry +1; Armor: Spellcasting +1, Kn Arc +2;

Notable Edges: LL Rejuvination; Common Bond; Wizard; Marksman; Metal Skin; Elan; Investigator (armor)
Powers: Beast Friend; Waking Dream (Illusion); Fireball (Bolt); Chakra Surge/Syphon (Boost/Lower Trait); Nature’s Gift (Warrior’s Gift); Mystical Sight (Detect Arcana); Arcane Severance (Dispel); Shadow Guard (Deflection); Adrenaline (Quickness); Armor

Bennies: 1/3
-1 Bennie - advancing through the train
-1 Bennie to unshake after backlash
-1 Bennie gifted to Blurr through common bond
+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist
-1 reroll puppet breakout

Aventure Cards:
Inspiration: Friendly characters (including yourhero) add +2 to all trait rolls for therest of this round.

Spill the Beans:
The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.

Update Signature
Sir Blurre
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sir Blurre »

Blurre catches Orrin's expression, and murmurs to him, "Think of it not as an act of magic, but one of faith--a belief that we are not alone, and that expressing your fervent desire to the cosmos will result in being answered benevolently."

Then he turns to the well, a thoughtful expression on his face as he stares at the coin. "The obvious wish, of course, would be to rescue my sister and bring her back to the Light. But I have faith enough that with you all by my side, that will happen sooner or later, so I have no need for that particular wish." He shakes his head, with an infrequent air of melancholy. "No. My wish is that, in doing so, I do not accidentally fall, myself. Though I would willingly--even eagerly--sacrifice my life to save her soul, the Light gains nothing in an even trade of spirits. I wish to resist the call of Darkness, even as I travel in shadows." A flick of the coin sends it splashing into the well, right near the center, where it sends ripples out to the edges and back; by the time they reach the point where the coin fell, he has turned from the Well and is walking away, his step lighter than it has been perhaps in weeks.
Sir Blurre
Quick Stats
Quick-Flex Cyber-Knight
Agility d10, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d12+1 (+3), Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Psionics d6; Fighting d12; Shooting d6; Streetwise d6+2; Intimidate d6+2; Taunt d6+2; Notice d4; Survival d4+2; Persuasion d4; Investigation d4; Common Knowledge d6-1
Charisma: +2; Pace: 14/d12+1;
Shield: Parry: 11 (-2 to be hit by tech); Toughness: 14 (4) melee, 18 (8) range; +2 vs. Evil
No Shield: Parry: 9 (-2 to be hit by tech); Toughness: 14 (4); +2 vs. Evil
Hindrances: Overconfident, Vow, Code of Honor, All Thumbs, Poverty
Notice d4, Common Knowledge d6+1, Intimidation d6+2, Persuasion d4+2, Taunt d6+2
Edges: Elan, Champion, Charge/Overrun, Ambidextrous/Two-Fisted, Common Bond, Well-Traveled (+2 CK rolls for people/geography in NorthAmerica); Master Psi-Sword
Powers: Speed, Deflection, Quickness, Wall-Walker

Bennies: 4/5
ISP: 19/20 (To recharge, must let armor go uncharged for an hour)

[list]Q2/19 Adventure cards:
Contact - Your hero sees an old friend or acquaintance who might help him in his current quest somehow. Of course, he may also ask for a favor in return.
Arcane Inspiration - When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Inspiration - Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.[/list]

Return to “Adventure Archive”