Head 'Em Up

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 26th 1880 2:45 AM
Fear Level: 2

John and Archibald manage to get the dead steer field dressed and somewhat quartered. Most of the neck and left shoulder is discarded as the area around the bite has already turned. Being on the safe side, you all end up with three quarters which are easily spread out amongst the horses. With no salt and a healthy unwillingness to hang the meat to dry given what you just went through, things get a little messy, but the early spring night air is cool enough that things shouldn’t spoil barring any further encounters.

The sun goes down much quicker than expected in the grove, slipping behind the mountains in the distance. You begin to worry if you will be able to navigate in the dark but the cattle and even the horses know the way home. You find out quickly it's just best to keep the animals in a tight group and let them lead the way.

As the night wears on, you balance pushing the herd a little faster against taking it slow enough to avoid injury. Your experience has you jumping at every little thing that results in just the regular nightlife on the prairie. A bobcat screams from not too far away and weapons leap from holsters and sheaths. A good nervous laugh is had once you realize what it is, but the moment is soon gone as not too long after a feeling of ‘wrongness’ settles in. Sounds are muted and the air becomes oppressive. To say the hairs are standing up on the back of your neck, is an understatement.

It becomes obvious something is watching but it is so dark at this point, that you can’t tell from what direction or how far away this real or perceived danger is. That’s when the howling starts. At first, you are all relieved as you had seen a few coyotes. But then it settles in that these are not the yips and barks of coyotes, they are long drawn out howls eerie and beautiful at the same time. They are wolves and they are getting closer. The smell of the steer must have lured them down out of the high pines. Something to worry about to be sure, but there is some relief in the fact that it’s still the ‘natural’ world.

The pack continues to get closer and the uneasy feeling becomes more and more oppressive. And then the reason why echoes from what seems like all around you. This howl is different, it's definitely communicating with the wolves but it has an almost human quality….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iag8d1ENKgk

Devil Eyes attempts to whinny in defiance and Hope hugs his neck to keep him quiet. Jackson, Archibald, and John risk a look over the shoulder and each will swear later that they saw something although none will be able to agree on what. Bishop keeps her eyes on the trail and up ahead she sees flickering lights. It’s the ranch! She gives her horse the freedom it wants after hearing the howl and it breaks into a gallop. The steers and other horses follow suit and it's a mad dash towards the Lazy S. The next ten minutes feel like hours and despite all rational concerns, you let the horses push themselves across the last couple of miles. As you get closer more lights come on as you realize all of you are whooping and yelling to keep the steers moving with you.

And then out of nowhere, Luke and the rest of the hands are around you calming the herd down and taking the reins from your horses. You made it. As you dismount, you see Bill leaning in the doorway with a man in a derby hat. His expression shows nothing as he lights a cigarette.

“Good work. That’s not as much as I hoped, but it's enough. Get some rest. Luke and the boys will take care of the horses. We’ll talk in the morning.”

He turns and goes back inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hard cots in the bunkhouses feel like fine feather beds and breakfast the next morning, more corned beef hash and biscuits, tastes like the finest food around. Even better, it seems you are all getting used to the ranch life as the soreness and stiffness doesn’t feel so bad this morning.
All
No penalty on the daily Vigor roles
Luke gave you all an extra half hour so you take breakfast with Bill and the man with the derby from the night before. The rest of the hands are already up and at the work to prepare for the drive.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 am

Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
wild dice 1d6 = 1: 1
As the group travelled through the wilderness back towards the ramp, when they heard the howling, John almost jumps out of his skin. John felt apprehensive, looking around into the night, hoping for a glimpse.

It couldn't have followed me all this way could it? The rest of the way back, John has his rifle out, not wanting to take any chances, but taking the rear to protect everyone as they raced towards the ranch.

Arriving back, John takes a second to play a quick tune on his harmonica to calm himself before getting off his horse.

"Take good care of him," he tells the ranch hands, "all the horses have been through a bit whilst we were out. and the meat needs taking in.

I wonder who this guy is. John ponders as he limps over to the ranch owner.

"Mr Sutter, I am afraid to report that you have some nasty critters living around here. We took care of some of them on the way back, but it sounds like we might have a wolf problem. Potentially quite a nasty one.

Next day

vigour 7
OOC Comments
1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 1: 1
wild dice 1d6 = 2: 2
John was up nice and early, being one of the first in for breakfast. He'd slept well, probably due to tiredness and thankfully no dreams. He noticed the man with a bowler hat as he waited for someone to say grace. He scratched his leg; it was irritating him a bit. Hearing that howl last night bothered him. Surely it wasn't the same creature; he could taste that nice to it.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:45 am

Notice
Notice= 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild= 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace= 1d6 = 4: 4
While passing through Sutter's Flats, the stranger had heard about a Rancher looking for hands on a drive. This would be perfect to get away for awhile. Sure they will need someone to look after their weapons as well as help with watch. He followed the directions to the ranch and that afternoon had a long talk with his new boss. He was hired for a mere $35 a month with meals included. Not what he was use to making at the store but, these were different times and couldn't pass up the company especially since they WEREN'T going to Dodge.
Almost all of the ranch hands looked at the stranger with amusement. Here he was, a young attractive gentleman in a nicely tailored suit and a derby hat. What really caught their attention besides his form of dress were 2 items. First, the stranger rode in on a Mule. Second, instead of a Six Gun, the stranger had an enlarged holster with a sawed off shotgun in the holster. The barrel was shaved way down and the stock was trimmed into a pistol grip.

Jack watched the riders coming in. These must be the new hands Mr. Sutter mentioned when he hired me. One of the riders limps up to the Boss and mentions wolves and critters. The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".
Vigor
Vigor 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace= 1d6 = 2: 2
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am

rolls carried
Jack wrote:The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".
John realises he's still carrying his rifle. Guess I'm still worried about what's out there. Switching it to the other hand, he shakes Jack's hand firmly.

"John, John Baxter. Archibald over there has one of the creatures we encountered and had to put down. The wolves, we heard on the way back in. Thankfully, we were close to the ranch, so they didn't get chance to attack us."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Notice 7, Vigor 4
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1

Vigor 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Jackson takes a few deep breaths to steady himself. Oh, the West is full of adventure, all right. I'm liable to adventure myself right into an early grave.

He dismounts and then gives Hope a respectful tip of his bowler. "Miss Hope, I neglected to thank you out there for patching me up. I don't know about 'magic', but science teaches us to observe the world around us, and you certainly did something back there. You, too, Miss Bishop. I should be very interested to hear how the two of you do what it is you do."
Jack wrote: Almost all of the ranch hands looked at the stranger with amusement. Here he was, a young attractive gentleman in a nicely tailored suit and a derby hat. What really caught their attention besides his form of dress were 2 items. First, the stranger rode in on a Mule. Second, instead of a Six Gun, the stranger had an enlarged holster with a sawed off shotgun in the holster. The barrel was shaved way down and the stock was trimmed into a pistol grip.

Jack watched the riders coming in. These must be the new hands Mr. Sutter mentioned when he hired me. One of the riders limps up to the Boss and mentions wolves and critters. The stranger extended his hand to the cowpoke..." Greetings, I'm Jack, Mr. Sutter just hired me on to join you. Could you explain 'Critters'".
Not too far behind John, Jackson limps up to the newcomer, giving his kit a curious look.

Still not one for social graces, he declares, "That's quite the piece you've got there, Jack. Seems like it might be a handful to draw." Still, he admires the weapon openly.

Jackson spits some of the grit out of his mouth. How very cowboy of me, he thinks idly. "By 'critters' he means spiders the size of horses and housecats. Not exactly a pleasant jaunt back there. Oh, I'm Jackson, by the way. Pleased to make your acquaintance, and all."
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Notice and Vigor
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Vigor 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
”Smart animals,” Bishop remarks when they arrive at the ranch; ”I was worried we’d have a tougher time finding our way back, not to mention keeping together in a group. What in the Sam Hill was that howling though? Not the wolves, the...whatever was communicating with them.” She shivers as she remembers the chilling sound.

When Jackson asks about how she does her Hexslinging she can’t help but grin. ”I’d be happy to tell you all about it and even teach you if you find yourself having an interest. My aunt teaching me to Hexsling is the best thing to ever happen to me and I’m always willing to pass that forward.”

At breakfast she introduces herself to Jack, having been too exhausted the night before to bother with anything other than the necessities. Well, having another person around can only help. Especially if last night’s adventures are going to be the norm. I just hope he’s not a magic hater, though if he is that’s not an attitude that will find much traction in this crew thankfully.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Rolls
Notice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 3: 3

Vigor 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Ah, an American gentlemen. Muses Archibald when he meets the newest addition to their group. Wonder whether he's one of those gentlemen adventurer types? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald says, extending a hand. "How do you do sir?"

"Sorry, but I'm afraid that I have to correct you regarding the creatures Mr Baxter." Archibald continues. "I merely drew some sketches and took measurements of the carcasses. Though I feel we should keep talk of the creatures among ourselves, I fear Mr Sutter's workers are the type to get easily spooked."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue May 01, 2018 2:54 am

Notice 2
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
***

Hope kept her shotgun out for the mad dash to the ranch, unsure what was out there in the dark. But they made it safely, and she fell from her saddle into Luke’s arms. She gave him a grateful smile that turned a bit coy.

"Miss Hope, I neglected to thank you out there for patching me up. I don't know about 'magic', but science teaches us to observe the world around us, and you certainly did something back there. You, too, Miss Bishop. I should be very interested to hear how the two of you do what it is you do," Jackson said.

Hope turned to Jackson and smiled. “Just a bit o’ prayer, Mr. Hartway,” she said. “Think nothing of it. Just try not ta let more spiders bite ya.” She gave the young greenhorn a wink.

Unfortunately, Devil Eyes would have nothing to do with Luke or anyone else, so while the others fell into their bunks, Hope headed to the stable to properly put the horse down.

“You can’t be just a little more cooperative when I’m dog tired?” Hope asked him as she brushed the wild horse down, listening the bellows of his lungs and the strong, solid beat of his heart, the heady smell of his coat.

“More with the lay of the coat,” Luke said as he stepped into the stall.

Hope smiled at the hand. “Show me?”

He stepped up close behind her, taking her hand with the brush in his, easing it along Devil Eyes’ flank. Hope leaned back against his strong chest, and his other hand came around her waist, pressing against her flat stomach. She turned her head up, looking deeply into his blue eyes. The brush trailed down, forgotten, and Devil Eyes snorted and rolled his eyes as Hope’s lips met Luke’s.

***

Hope snuck into the bunkhouse hours later, her work shirt loose and pulled out of her jeans, pulling straw from her red hair. The other women were asleep, thank the Lord, as Hope undressed and fell with contented exhaustion into her bunk.

***
Vigor 1
Vigor 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Hope woke up with pounding head and exhaustion, sore from the hard riding. She groaned and stares up at the ceiling, listening to the whispering and bustle of the other women in the bunkhouse. She heard her name a few times. She was used to proper folk talking about her behind her back. It didn’t make it any less unpleasant, however.

When the bunkhouse finally cleared, Hope finally forced herself to roll out of bed. She pumped some cold water to wash up with. Her silver cross glistened in the morning sunlight where it dangled between her breasts, and she touched it guiltily. She touched a purpling bruise on her neck left by Luke’s passionate kisses last night during their tumble in the hay.

“Ah’m tryin’, Lord,” Hope said quietly, closing her eyes.
Succor 5 (-2 Novice, -1 Fatigue)
Faith 1d10-1 = 5: 6
Wild 1d6-1 = 3: 4
Hope smiled with relief as she felt a warmth flow through her, washing away her tiredness, soreness, and fatigue.

“Thank ya,” she said, picking up the towel and drying off. She dressed in clean clothes, leaving the others for the washerwomen, and headed toward the mess hall.

It appeared Hope was the last to arrive. John and the others were gathered around some dandy in a bowler with some kind of fancy, weird shotgun. Hope didn’t usually walk around the ranch so armed, so she only had her knife. Gun belts tended to catch on things when doing ranch work.

“Who’s the dandy?” Hope asked with a smile. He was certainly attractive! She held out her hand, still delicate, though starting to develop the calluses of hard work. “Hope Monaghan, mister,” she introduced herself, tossing her red braids out of the way, looking fresher and perkier than she had any right to be after last night.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 1R/3
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 am

Vigor
Vigor carried over from last night. Didn't think we would be having a breakfast post.
Jack stood and shook hands with the others as they entered.

"Ah a Captain in the Royal Army. That must be very invigorating." Jack shakes his outstretched hand. "How do you wish to be addressed? Captain, Archibald?"

"Bishop you say, pleased to meet you." Wow, no one told me there were women so attractive outside of Dodge. This could be an exciting adventure. Jack slightly bows, takes her hand and gently kisses it like a true gentlemen.

"Jackson, is that your full name or just what you want others to call you? It is nice to meet your acquaintance." He seems kinda young. Wonder what he has seen?

"Mr. Baxter was it, John? Nice to meet you." The look. I've seen it many a time, he has killed and will kill again if need be.

Just before he was going to tell about himself, in walks Hope. Two very attractive women on this ride? I thought Dodge was trouble, this may be even harder. Jack takes her outstretched hand and as before with Bishop, slightly bows, takes her hand and kisses it lightly. "Jack Wagner ma'am, at your service." He stares into her eyes for a moment then straightens and address the lot of them.

"Nice to meet all of you. Since I came on late, I seem to have missed some of the fun. I have been traveling for a bit after leaving my former employer in Dodge City. I am a Gunsmith by trade and currently out of work so, when Mr. Sutter offered to have me join, I took him up on it. Glad to meet you all and look forward to some interesting days ahead."
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

Bishop wrote: When Jackson asks about how she does her Hexslinging she can’t help but grin. ”I’d be happy to tell you all about it and even teach you if you find yourself having an interest. My aunt teaching me to Hexsling is the best thing to ever happen to me and I’m always willing to pass that forward.”
Hexslinging? Is that what she calls it? "Well, I would be much obliged, at your convenience, Miss Bishop."
Jack wrote: "Jackson, is that your full name or just what you want others to call you? It is nice to meet your acquaintance." He seems kinda young. Wonder what he has seen?
...

"Nice to meet all of you. Since I came on late, I seem to have missed some of the fun. I have been traveling for a bit after leaving my former employer in Dodge City. I am a Gunsmith by trade and currently out of work so, when Mr. Sutter offered to have me join, I took him up on it. Glad to meet you all and look forward to some interesting days ahead."
Jackson's eyes shoot up and a grin spreads across his face. A professional gunsmith!

"Jackson is my given name, and I've never really known anyone to call me anything else," he says. "A gunsmith by trade, you say? I'm a bit of a gunmetal enthusiast myself. I built the Problem Solver here from scratch," he pats the butt of his pistol "and I would be fascinated to hear about your work."
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am

Jackson wrote:
"Jackson is my given name, and I've never really known anyone to call me anything else," he says. "A gunsmith by trade, you say? I'm a bit of a gunmetal enthusiast myself. I built the Problem Solver here from scratch," he pats the butt of his pistol "and I would be fascinated to hear about your work."

"Jackson it is. That looks like a nice weapon. I haven't really built a signature weapon yet from scratch. I have taken many weapons and modified them for their owners to assist where their skills lack. Take my sidearm here." I pull my Modified Double Barrel from its holster. "I'm not one to get into a drawn out gunfight or a duel. If I get into that situation, I aim to end it quickly. To help in that endeavour, I have modified this Double Barrel shotgun into basically a Double Barrel Pistol. I shrank the Barrel as short as possible then filed down the stock into a comfortable pistol grip. I modified the firing mechanism so one triger, one pull, double shot. I may have to reload often if pinned down however, my first shot should stop almost everything."
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Fri May 04, 2018 3:34 am

Hope met Jack Wagner’s gaze with her own green eyes, a boldness there more akin to those of the ladies in the saloons and brothels of Dodge than a church girl. She flashed him a melting smile.

“Charmed,” Hope said when he bent over and kissed her hand.

And then the conversation went into the boys and their toys, and Hope’s interest faded. She glanced at Bishop. “Should we get us some breakfast?” she asked the other woman.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sat May 05, 2018 7:06 am

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 27th 1880 7:45 AM
Fear Level: 2


Sutter allows the idle chat at the table. He grunts a few times at the mention of the ‘critters’ but otherwise shovels hash or pours coffee into his gullet. When he’s finished, he pushes himself back from the table and stands to address you.

“Look, the Captain is right. Ain’t no sense gettin’ the hands riled up on what you saw and heard out there. They all will be seein’ it firsthand soon enough when we get on the trail. And make no mistake, I aim to make that drive come hell or high water”

For a moment the tough as nails rancher looks like an old man as sudden pain grips him. It’s brief and he slaps his right thigh, winces, and grunts again. Like you all the man has looked into the Abyss at some point but he quickly returns to his gruff self and you wonder if you witnessed anything at all.

“Now you all had a long night so I’m sendin’ you into town today with my niece Abby to pick up some supplies. She’s greener in the saddle than you all and I figure between all of ya, you might stay out of trouble….and not distract my hands.”

Sutter glances at Hope before he continues.

“Jack here will be part of your posse ridin’ drag on the trail. Like the rest of you, I’m thinkin’ he’ll be better at that than wranglin’ the cattle. Now get goin’, Abby has the wagon ready and I expect you back…..”

“YOU BETTER COME OUT HERE, BOSS!”

Luke’s yell gets you all moving and you follow Bill out onto the porch of the ranch house. Sutter reaches behind the door and pulls out a shotgun as you all see a small group of riders approaches the ranch. There are six rather surly looking gunmen following a better dressed
man sporting a pair of shiny Colt revolvers. Off to one side rides the fifth member of the band, an older Indian dressed in a threadbare Confederate jacket decorated with a smattering of bangles and fetishes.

The well-dressed gunman calls out to Sutter,, currently pointing the shotgun at the ground, but in the general direction of the new arrivals.

“Good day to you, Mr. Sutter. My name is Bartholomew Phelps and I’m here as a representative of Bayou Vermilion. I’m authorized to purchase your cattle at the agreed-upon price of $5 per head.”

“Like I told them other fellers from your railroad, you can pound sand. That ain’t half what they’re worth on the open market!”


“Ah, but this isn’t an open market. I understand no one hereabouts will purchase cattle with your brand and I’m afraid my employer’s stock cars are booked up for the foreseeable future. I’d recommend you take the offer before prices drop further.”

“Prices ain’t the only thing about to be droppin’ around here, if’n you and your lot don’t head out—pronto!”

With that, Sutter thumbs back both hammers on his shotgun. Phelps looks around at the growing crowd of ranch hands drawn to the argument. You and Sutter’s men outnumber the Bayou Vermilion riders. The gunman calmly tips his hat, turns his horse, and begins to lead
his gang out.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 am

“Now you all had a long night so I’m sendin’ you into town today with my niece Abby to pick up some supplies. She’s greener in the saddle than you all and I figure between all of ya, you might stay out of trouble….and not distract my hands.”

Great, he has a Niece. How much more can trouble tempt me?

“YOU BETTER COME OUT HERE, BOSS!”

As the warning is yelled in, Jack draws his sidearm and heads out the back door. He makes his way around the side of the house and up to the corner and waits.
Streetwise
Streetwise check to see if I have ever heard the name Bartholomew Phelps during my time working in Dodge City.
Streetwise 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
After the men ride out, Jack comes out from around the corner of the house, holsters his weapon and approaches Sutter.

"Mr. Sutter, exactly how much trouble have you had with this Mr. Vermilion and exactly how much danger is there?"
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 am

Notice 4
OOC Comments
1d8 = 4: 4
Wild dice 1d6 = 2: 2
"Back into town it is," and protecting your neice. A heavy burden John doffs his hat to Mr Sutter.

As Luke calls out, John goes with the others to investigate. Noting the tense situation,
John has his pistol out, having left his rifle in his room as there wasn't the need for heavy firepower at breakfast. He keeps a discreet position out of sight.

"Nobody shoot first," he whispers to anybody close by, "they'd be stupid to start anything this heavily outnumbered."

Bayou Vermilion, not had a run with them for a couple of years.

He notices the Indian over to one side and something tickled him about how he was dressed.

Knowledge occult 4
OOC Comments
1d6 = 4: 4
wild dice 1d6 = 1: 1
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Archibald was about to say something when the ranch-hand Luke called for everyone's attention. Quickly grabbing his pith helmet from beside his seat, Archibald joins the stampede out of the ranch house to see what the problem was. He spots the riders and listens to the exchange between Mr Sutter and the well-dressed gunman, though Archibald's attention is drawn to the old Indian. The bangles and fetishes reminded him of some of the tribals he'd seen in Africa, ones that were suppose to be the tribe's equivalent to a priest.

"Mr Baxter." Archibald says quietly to the former bounty hunter. "You probably have the greater knowledge here, but something...bothers me about that native man."

Archibald then turns to Bill and says. "I hope you forgive the prying Mr Sutter, I take it you've had trouble from those fellows before?"

"And just out of interest, how much would you normally expect your cattle to fetch per head?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am

Notice 8
Notice 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 2: 2
Well, that was odd. No wonder he wants to get this drive started as soon as possible.

Aloud, Jackson says, "Does this sort of thing happen often? I may need to come up with something that would dissuade people from shooting at us..." He trails off, lost in thought.
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am

Notice 7
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1
It’s odd that he doesn’t want the hands forewarned about the critters out there, Bishop thinks during breakfast. Is there a risk they’ll desert if they know? We’ll need to be sure not to rely on them acting in times of danger. Or on Sutter being fully honest about risks.

Upon hearing that no one in the area will buy cattle with Sutter’s brand she realizes she was right to be wary of him hiding information. ”Why won’t anyone buy cattle with your brand? Has this group tried anything more than veiled threats to get to you?” She asks, not confident any of them will have their questions answered.

Then she turns to her fellow employees ”do any of y’all know if there’s a way these folks could have had a hand in those critters going after Mr. Sutter’s cattle?”
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 am

Notice 2
Notice 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
***

Hope gives Sutter a look of concern when he winces in pain. Maybe she should talk to him about that, see if she could help some. She gives him a pleasant, innocent smile when he mentions distracting his hands.

When the commotion begins outside, Hope follows. Great. She hadn’t thought she would need to be carrying while on the ranch, and all her things were in the bunkhouse. Fortunately, the situation resolved itself.

“Seems someone doesn’t want you taking all these cattle,” Hope mused. “And five a head seems awful cheap. What’s this Bayou Vermillion, and are we gonna have trouble with them? They came loaded.”

With the situation calmer for the moment, Hope went and retrieved her gear. She found a package for her on the bed and smiled. It was from an old client. He must have heard she had signed up with Sutter. Inside was a very nice duster, and it looked to be lined with some light metal plates and padding. Interesting. It also had a lot of little pockets and hooks inside for securing things for quick access. She tried it on, and it fit perfect.

Walking back out, Hope smiled at Abby and jumped up into the shotgun position on the wagon. Let the boys ride in back. “Good mornin’,” she greeted the girl, not having met her before. She reached up to secure her red hair and put on her cowboy hat.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 1R/3
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun May 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 27th 1880 8:00 AM
Fear Level: 2


Sutter eases the hammers back down on his coach gun and the tenseness seems to ease out of the man as well.

“Bayou Vermilion is the railroad some of ya’ all rode in on. They squeezed every other rancher so hard by forcein’ ‘em to use their line to transport cattle to Chicago, that they packed up and moved on. I’m the only one left holdin’ out and I aim to beat them by takin’ my cattle myself to the markets. The price they are offerin’ would be fair per hundred weight, not per head. That’s why I don’t trust those Vermilion varmints as far as I can throw myself. I figure if we sit too long, they’ll cut our herd—or worse...I doub’t they had anything to do with your run in with those spiders, though. Still, I’m gatherin’ what we’ve got on hand and we’re headin’ north in three days.”

Sutter looks over to John and nods knowingly.

“Yer right to be eyein’ that Injun. His name is Black Dog. He’s an old Comanche raider from hereabouts and me and him got a little history. I was part of the posse that ran him to ground back in ’73. I heard he signed on with the Confederacy for clemency, but they cut him loose before too long. No doubt Vermilion hired him on ’cause he knows the area…and ain’t likely to balk at pointin’ the business end of a gun at any of the locals.”

John
Black Dog, or To’sarre, is a renegade Comanche shaman. For years, he raided settlers in and around Sutter’s Flats until the rancher and a posse of locals hunted him down. He signed on with the Confederate Army in exchange for a pardon, but was drummed out within less than a year for killing several Union soldiers under a flag of truce. Recently, the shaman found a home with Bayou Vermilion when the railroad was laying track through western Texas and New Mexico.You are not sure, but Sutter may be the last surviving member of the posse that captured Black Dog.
Jack
Phelps is dangerous to be sure, but he isn’t someone you have heard of having that much of a reputation. Likely Bayou Vermilion hires this type to ‘persuade’ townsfolk along their rail line. Deadly enough to keep folks in check, but expendable as well---because there are a lot more like him.
Sutter nods to you all and heads back in the ranch house as a girl about eighteen years old pulls up in a buckboard. She has some trouble getting the horses to stop where she wants, but has the look of a seasoned hand in dress and sunburnt skin. When the wagon comes to a stop (and she is sure the horses are not going to defy her any longer), the girl takes off her stetson and attempts to beat some of the ever present dust out of it while running a hand through unkempt sandy blonde hair. A Colt Navy rides in a cross draw holster on her left hip and a lariat is coiled on her right. An 1873 rifle rests in a notch in the buckboard beside her. She smiles at each of you, maybe a little longer at Jackson, and maybe a little shorter at Hope, but her demeanor and greeting are genuine.

“My name is Abby and Uncle Bill...I mean Boss Sutter… said you all were comin’ to town with me. Not sure why I need all of ya, to be honest, I can handle myself. Anyhoo, if yer ready, we can get to know each other on the ride in.”


What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Sun May 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Notice 13
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1
Jackson Sees
Did Jackson see anything of note with 2 raises?


Jackson, ever oblivious to social cues, hops up in the wagon and gives the girl a tip of his hat. ”Miss Abby, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. My name is Jackson Hartway... say, is that a Navy service revolver? I bet there's a story there.”
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon May 14, 2018 12:22 am

Notice 10
Notice 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 10: 4
***

Hope frowned. “That just don’t make any business sense,” the girl said. “I mean, if they drive everyone off, they won’t have any customers and won’t make any money transporting anything. What is their game?”

Heading out to the wagon, Hope said some soothing words to the horses before climbing onto the wagon beside Abby. “Good morning, Abby,” the redhead greeted. “We’re just along if ya need a hand,” she assured the girl. “I’m Hope Monaghan.” She offered her hand to Abby. She wanted to make a decent first impression, before the girl heard the rumors about her past from the other ranch ladies.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 1R/3
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 am

After the riders head off, Jack walks to the bunk house and retrieves his shotgun. Checking that both the barrel and firing mechanism were clear, he loads both barrels and places extra rounds in his pockets and gun belt. He then retrieves his pipe and tobacco.

Well, no time to change into work clothes. Guess I'll just dust off my suit quick and ride the wagon.

After dusting off his suit and adjusting his hat, he walks out, stops and lights his pipe. Well, looks like it will be an interesting ride.
Walking up to the wagon, Jack climbs in and greets the Ladies.

"Morning Miss Abby, I'm Jack Wagner.", turns to Hope and smiles a friendly smile "Morning Miss Hope, hope you ladies are ready for a wonderful morning."

Jack then turns and sits behind Hope with his shotgun across his lap enjoying his pipe.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6

Notice explodes 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild explodes 1d6 = 2: 2
"Madam." Archibald says to young Miss Abby, doffing his pith helmet as he does so. "Captain Archibald Ellsworth, at your service."

"Let us be away chaps, and ladies, before even more trouble has us in its sights!" Called out Archibald as he goes and mounts his horse.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 am

notice
1d8 = 6: 6
wild dice 1d6 = 3: 3
Archibald Ellsworth wrote:"Mr Baxter." Archibald says quietly to the former bounty hunter. "You probably have the greater knowledge here, but something...bothers me about that native man."
John turns to Archibald and adjusts his hat.
“Yeah, that one is making my hairs standing on edge. If I’m right, he can do things not unlike Hope and Miss Bishop."

John moves to a different position to watch them leave, making sure none of them slip away to cause any trouble. After they leave, he returns to where Sutter and the others are stood
Muskrat Jack wrote:Sutter looks over to John and nods knowingly. “Yer right to be eyein’ that Injun. His name is Black Dog. He’s an old Comanche raider from hereabouts and me and him got a little history. I was part of the posse that ran him to ground back in ’73. I heard he signed on with the Confederacy for clemency, but they cut him loose before too long. No doubt Vermilion hired him on ’cause he knows the area…and ain’t likely to balk at pointin’ the business end of a gun at any of the locals.”
“Well, it’s certainly no coincidence that he’s here then. If any of those hired guns is going to cause the biggest problem, it will be that one.”

Hope Monaghan wrote:Hope frowned. “That just don’t make any business sense,” the girl said. “I mean, if they drive everyone off, they won’t have any customers and won’t make any money transporting anything. What is their game?”
“More controlling the demand, making any ranchers be dependent on them and woe betide anyone who doesn’t fall in line. If they control the prices and demand, they can control their profit. Having seen them on the other side in the Rail Wars, this sort of shady nonsense is just the beginning."
Muskrat Jack wrote: “My name is Abby and Uncle Bill...I mean Boss Sutter… said you all were comin’ to town with me. Not sure why I need all of ya, to be honest, I can handle myself. Anyhoo, if yer ready, we can get to know each other on the ride in.”
Well, at least she looks the part if nuthin else. John doffs his hat to her
“Ma’am. John Baxter, outrider"

Looking around at the others and considering the way the new hand was looking at Hope and now Sutter’s niece, perhaps he'd be better off riding with him, rather than the wagon.

“Jack, let’s get better acquainted if we are working together. Let's see how well you ride."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 am

Bradon wrote: Looking around at the others and considering the way the new hand was looking at Hope and now Sutter’s niece, perhaps he'd be better off riding with him, rather than the wagon.

“Jack, let’s get better acquainted if we are working together. Let's see how well you ride."
I think about that for a moment, getting me away from the ladies would be a good idea. Less chance of me getting into trouble but, that Hope lady is like none I have ever seen before. She intrigues me and not just with her beauty but, the way she handles herself.

As I climb out of the wagon and head for the stables, "Why that is the best idea I have heard this morning".

I walk to the stables and saddle my Mule. After double checking the straps I ride on out with my shotgun hooked to the saddle right across my lap for easy access. I ride up next to John. "So what brings you to these parts?"
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Notice 11
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1

Notice explodes 1d6 = 3: 3
Bradon wrote:John turns to Archibald and adjusts his hat.
“Yeah, that one is making my hairs standing on edge. If I’m right, he can do things not unlike Hope and Miss Bishop."

John moves to a different position to watch them leave, making sure none of them slip away to cause any trouble. After they leave, he returns to where Sutter and the others are stood.
"Reminded me of the tribal medicine men in Africa." Remarked Archibald. "Though I severely doubt the fellow is as benevolent."

"Do you think Mr Phelps and his band of ruffians will attempt to waylay us as we escort Mr Sutter's niece?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2


Bishop hops up in the wagon, her bow in hand. Seeing the armament on the newcomer and knowing what her other companions are carrying, she thinks, at least we'll be well prepared for trouble.
She greets her fellow workers and Abby. Wonder what her issue with Hope is. She’s allowed to dislike her I guess, but she’d better not treat her poorly or try to start anything.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm

On the way back to Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 1:45 PM
Fear Level: 2


The dryness of the road makes you feel every bump and pothole on the way back into town. Abby doesn’t do a good job in avoiding anything either. It’s soon apparent that she is fairly green driving the wagon. It’s also pretty obvious that the girl doesn’t so much dislike Hope, it’s that she is a little intimidated and in awe of her and Bishop as well. The ‘Taming of Devil Eyes’ is a tale that has made it around the Lazy S as well as the mystique of Bishop’s bow and what she could do with it.

The awkwardness wears off once the wagon is down the road and the girl warms up to conversation.

“Yes, Mr. Hartway, it was my Pa’s cap and ball that Uncle Bill had converted to cartridge for me. I know most prefer the Peacemaker’s nowadays but if this gun was good enough for my Pa and Wild Bill, it’s good enough for me.

“Truth be told, I ain’t never shot anything bigger than a rattlesnake with it. I ain’t afraid to, though. If it comes to it, I can be depended on, make no mistake. Don’t want you all to think I can’t hold my own, cause I can…”


Jackson, while very much wanting to keep the conversation going with Abby, very much wants to tell the rest of the group what he noticed about Black Dog. it was fairly obvious to everyone that the Comanche was staring daggers at Bill but there was something else as well.
Jackson
John is right, not just about Bayou Vermilion, but about Black Dog. You notice Black Dog touch one of his fetishes as he stares down Bill and there is a brief flare of something you catch. You are not familiar with the mystical powers of Native American Shaman, but you get the distinct feeling that Black Dog is very well versed in them, particularly the darker arts
The rest of the trip into town passes uneventfully. Once there, Abby produces a list of supplies and heads to the general store, pulling Jackson along with her to help with the load. Jackson quickly finds himself standing idly by as Abby waits for the shopkeep to fill his list.

After Abby and Jackson have been in the store about five minutes, Phelps and a band of Bayou Vermilion gunhands converge on the front of the store from all around. Phelps confronts the rest of you outside, announcing in a mocking tone,

“I commend you folk on your stubbornness, if not your common sense. Most would have cleared out ahead of the storm that is coming. Instead, you chose to leave the Lazy S where you held, at least for the moment, a numerical advantage.”

You all notice right away that Black Dog isn’t around. Still, Phelps has eight thugs with him and while they all may not be experienced gunfighters, you are out in the open at close range.

Phelps smiles as he sees that you all are realizing the situation as turned to be in his favor. His arrogance and apparent desire to be famous cause him to wave his henchman back.

“You there. You look like you may know what you are doing with that .44. Union boy are you? I whistle Dixie myself. What say you and I settle this like gentlemen. I’m callin’ you out, right here, right now. What say you?”[/b]

Phelps walks out into the street and squares off, loosening his pistol in its holster as he does so.

“Englishman, I’m assuming you’re English by how ridiculous you look. Better take those womenfolk and step on back. Boys, if that dandy in a derby makes a move for his street howitzer, you all cut him down.

“You ready, Blue Boy?”

All
We can try out the Duel rules with John or you can formulate another way to handle Phelps and his men

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat May 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4

Notice explodes 1d6 = 2: 2
"Thats Captain to you sir." Archibald says a little coldly and making little attempt to move. "An officer in Her Majesty's British Army I'll have you know, so kindly show a little respect."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sun May 20, 2018 8:30 am

notice 1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 3: 3
Archibald Ellsworth wrote:"Reminded me of the tribal medicine men in Africa." Remarked Archibald. "Though I severely doubt the fellow is as benevolent."

"Do you think Mr Phelps and his band of ruffians will attempt to waylay us as we escort Mr Sutter's niece?"
"Considering his past with Sutter, I would very much doubt he's not going to be trouble." John adjusted his hat as they talk, "Sutter's niece would be a prime target for them, so keep your eyes out."

Jack wrote:As I climb out of the wagon and head for the stables, "Why that is the best idea I have heard this morning".

I walk to the stables and saddle my Mule. After double checking the straps I ride on out with my shotgun hooked to the saddle right across my lap for easy access. I ride up next to John. "So what brings you to these parts?"
Jack sees John limp up to his horse, favouring his right leg.
"I disagreed with something that tried to eat me." he taps his left leg, before climbing up onto his horse without too much difficulty. "After that, I needed some money and this job seemed a nice one compared to some I've had. Looking at the departed railroad thugs, he sighed, "though I'm beginning to reconsider that idea. By the way, we have spare horses if you want to use one, rather than the mule" He reaches into a saddle bag and pulls out a duster, putting in on. Inside the bag, you see the gleam of a large pistol.

"I keep this in case of trouble," he explains, pulling out the pistol and placing it inside the duster, "ammo is expensive so I use it sparingly."
OOC Comments
patreon items - equalizer pistol and the duster
He rode ahead with Jack into town and helped collect the supplies when he spied Phelps and his goons.

"We have trouble incoming," he called to the others
Muskrat Jack wrote:“You there. You look like you may know what you are doing with that .44. Union boy are you? I whistle Dixie myself. What say you and I settle this like gentlemen. I’m callin’ you out, right here, right now. What say you?”
John tapped his pistol and nodded.

"Since you bushwhackers think its fair game to ambush women, I'm happy to show you why the Union holds moral superiority over scum like you. I will be there in a moment to put you out of our misery."

He turned to talk to Jackson, Hope and Bishop
"Anything you three can do to help me out here. Easier to take this guy down than all the others. If Benny was here, he's the one who be doing this. As it is, I'm not adversed to a bit of help evening the odds here."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
***

Hope was more than happy to chat with Abby on the ride in. She glanced at John, raising an eyebrow, as he dragged the attractive Jack off to ride with him. She gave John a smirk and a wink.

At the store, Hope got herself a soda pop and lounged outside with the others as she sipped it, getting a few looks from passing townies, mostly interested stares from the menfolk, despite her work clothes, and glares from the womenfolk.

When Phelps and his eight lackeys sauntered up, Hope stiffened and put down her drink, standing slowly. He called John out, and she scowled when he accepted.

“What are you doing, you idiot?” Hope hissed at John.

Of course, they were outnumbered.

Hope took a breath and closed her eyes. She leaned into John. “Go with God’s blessing,” she said, kissing him lightly as she prayed over him.
Buffing
There was no limit given on how many buffs a Blessed could do, so I’ll put down a bunch of Faith rolls in the order she wants and the Marshal can tell me how many John gets.

Boost Taunt 7 Success +1d
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Spending last red benny as a normal benny to reroll
Faith 1d10 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5

Boost Shooting 5 Success +1d
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5

Deflection 2 Fail
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1

Armor 1 Fail
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d10 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2

Smite 9 Raise +4 damage, double duration
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction, -2 Fatigue
Faith 1d10 = 9: 9
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 11: 5
Exhausted, Hope stepped back against the building, staring down Phelps and his men. She would have tried to curse Phelps, but she was so tired.

***
Conditions
-2 Fatigue (3 hours quiet contemplation/Fatigue or good night’s sleep)
Bennies: 0/3
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 am

Muskrat Jack wrote:
Boys, if that dandy in a derby makes a move for his street howitzer, you all cut him down.
Notice
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
I've seen boys like this before. Thinking they are big shot gunfighters but, when you get them alone or in a sticky situation, they crumble.

"That's right 'BOYS', you watch the Dandy in the Derby. Think about it. At this close range, with both barrels, This Dandy will either kill 2 of you before you can draw, or I will put both barrels into one individual and make it so his next of Kin won't even recognize him. So while you watch me, we also have several guns inside the store behind me watching you. That's right 'BOYS' watch the Dandy."
Intimidate
Intimidate unskilled (total of 5)
Intimidate 1d4-2 = 2: 4
Wild 1d6-2 = 4: 6
Explosion 1d6 = 1: 1
I watch the couple in front of me and ignore the main attraction.
Last edited by Jack on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm

WIP
Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 1: 1
Smarts 8
OOC Comments
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 6: 6 1d6 = 2: 2
Reaching into his saddle bag, he pulls out a large pistol and holster. John switches pistols over, strapping on the Equalizer

"I use this for such an occasion."
OOC Comments
use adventure card to gain taunt d6 for the quad
after Hope's blessings, taunt d8+4 (from EP), shooting d10+1, quick draw
Waiting on Muskrat jack
1d8+4 = 8: 4
1d6+4 = 7: 3
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Notice 5
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Bishop pulls out her bow once Phelps and his band show up. Honestly, what is he even hoping to achieve here? Idiot. Who brags about superior numbers then tries to show off on their own? He’ll be eaten alive sooner or later in this world with that attitude and it’s looking like it’ll be sooner.
She’s grateful, if also a bit irritated, for the opportunity Phelps discounting her and Hope as threats gives. She’s not quite sure what Hope had done to help John, but it had clearly been something. Bishop just hoped she’d be able to contribute as well, while she waited, bow at the ready, for someone to make the first move.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 am

Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4


Jackson is just donning a handsome new coat he’d found for sale in the store when he hears the ruckus start.
Patron Item
Patron duster (re-trapped slightly to a 3/4 length coat), but no item yet for him.


Jackson watches the proceedings through the window, and he draws his Problem Solver, holding it below the duelists' line-of-sight.

John is going to draw with that psycho! he thinks, excitedly.

To Abby, he says, "Miss, it looks like the shooting is about to start outside. You may want to draw that Navy piece and keep your head down; it looks like John is in a duel with the leader of those thugs from the ranch."

Jackson keeps an eye on the proceedings, prepared to intervene at the first sign of foul play by Phelps.
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

On the way back to Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 1:55 PM
Fear Level: 2

Jack’s proclamation unsettles the thugs on the wooden walkway outside of Pettinger’s. Two visibly step away from the group trying to distance themselves from what might be a deadly blast from his double barrel. It’s obvious some of the others are thinking the same way, but they make no move yet. Only one that either has real sand or is just stupid sneers and spits a wad of tobacco in the dirt.
Jack
Two are visibly shaken and you have a +2 on them and five others this round
Phelps eyes widen at the sight of the pistol John straps to his hip. It adds to what appears to be some confusion as whatever the redhead did, just turned what was supposed to be an easy mark for the Bayou Vermilion gunman into a deadly showdown.

“Your fancy toy and sweet pillow talk from that witch of yours isn’t going to work. When your lying in the dust, choking on your blood, maybe she’ll be my witch. ‘Course maybe she’s more suited to be given to my men…

The taunt is empty and hollow and doesn’t hide the fact that Phelp’s hand goes for his gun.
John
John, you beat him in the Face Off phase and you are quicker on the draw. Phelps goes for his weapon. You both have Quick Draw, but you get an additional +2 to shooting and +1d6 damage from winning the Test of Wills. He also has Marksman and aced his shooting roll so you are going to get hit, but I will resolve that once you post

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 am

Notice 3
OOC Comments
1d8 = 1: 1
wild dice 1d6 = 3: 3
"Hope would eat you alive," John give Phelps a slight smirk, "a Dixie whistler like you just couldn't cope."
He certainly wasn't going to let Hope or any of the ladies fall into this scum's hands.
His gun was out of the holster quicker than Phelps and with unerring precision, puts a bullet into Phelps chest, completely focused on the man in front of him.

Shooting 12 Damage 16 (presuming both raises) AP2
OOC Comments
1d10+2 = 9: 7 +1 from Equalizer and +2 from marksman
1d6+2 = 6: 4

2d8 = 9: 5, 4
1d6 = 3: 3
1d6 = 4: 4

Special: If hit, whether damaged or not, the target of the attack rolls Strength versus the shooting roll of the attacker. If the target fails, they are knocked prone, or pushed 1" and knocked prone if the shooter gets a raise on the roll. This does not affect targets size 3 or greater. If they hit an obstacle while being pushed, they can be Shaken, as per the Push Maneuver on SWD p. 85. The same page also has information on the effects of Prone.
Toughness is currently 6 due to the duster he's wearing
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Archibald kept a wary eye on the street as John and Phelps faced off, his hands twitching as the tension filled the air. Fortunately the seasoned ex-army scout proved to be quicker on the draw and fired a shot that Phelps wouldn't be forgetting about anytime soon. In anticipation of things escalating, Archibald pulls out his sword but keeps it lowered as he eyes Phelps' men to determine what they would do next.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
***

Hope glared at Phelps. “You couldn’t afford me even if you could get it up,” she scoffed at him.
OOC Comments
If there’s going to be a shoot ‘em up now, I’ll play my Adventure Card to give them all MAP. If not, I will save it.
As both men drew, and John put one in Phelps’ chest, Hope was already moving and praying.
Deflection 7 Success
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
***
Conditions
Deflection -2 to hit (3r)
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Card: Say something crazy or distracting to cause all foes to suffer a -2 multi-action penalty for one round.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 pm

On the way back to Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 2:05 PM
Fear Level: 2


Phelps goes for his gun, but John proves to be quicker. John’s shot blows the Bayou Vermillion gunman back a good two yards where he lands dead amidst the wagon ruts and horse droppings of the dusty street. Still, two shots distinctly rang out and John staggers. His bad leg nearly gives out on him but he’s able to make it to a hitching post. Perhaps Smith and Robards have something in this new duster or perhaps it was intervention from somewhere else, but John, although hurt, will live.
John
11 damage
The rest of the thugs put there hands where all can see and slowly back away and slink off into the alleys. Before long the streets are eerily quiet again. Sutter’s Flats is back to the nearly forgotten town somewhere off the BV Line.
Bishop and Archibald
You catch movement up on a ridge behind the buildings of the town. It’s brief but you are sure there was someone up there watching
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Tue May 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Notice 9
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 3: 3


Jackson is amazed by just how fast the gunfight is over. That's kind of the point, of course, but the stories all make them sound longer, somehow. Like there should be more drama, more wind up, just... more.

He watches as the rest of the toughs slink away, and he re-holsters his Problem Solver.

"Well, Miss Abby, it seems the excitement was short lived. John is lightning with that hand-cannon of his."

Jackson heads outside to check on his companion, trying hard not to appear too awed at what he'd just witnessed. He's relieved to see John still on his feet.

"Mr. Baxter," Jackson says, "I've seen rattlesnakes that would be jealous of that draw." He hasn't really seen many rattlesnakes, of course; that is just a line from an old story Jackson has read. But nobody needs to know that, he thinks.
If John Does Not Soak The Damage
As he gets near the cowboy, Jackson notices the blood. His eyes go a bit wide, and he turns to Hope. Miss Hope! He’s bleeding!
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
***

Hope flinched as the guns went off. But only one man was still standing. Phelps was lying in the dirt, and his rabble were slinking off.

“That’s right! Run off to your rat nest!” Hope yelled at them, brandishing her shotgun menacingly.

Then she turned to John. “Are you okay?”
If needed
Hope pressed her hand to John’s injury, praying quietly as she stood close to John, the faint scent of her perfume wafting the air as her hand glowed with a golden light and warmth.
Healing 10-Wounds, so should heal at least 1, maybe 2
-2 Novice, +2 Conviction
Faith 1d10 = 9: 9
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 10: 4
***
Conditions
Deflection -2 to hit (2r)
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Card: Say something crazy or distracting to cause all foes to suffer a -2 multi-action penalty for one round.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 am

Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 4: 4
Despite his bravado, this was the first time he'd ever been in a showdown like this. These generally happened in those dime books, not in real life. Still the more people who read, the more idiots you get calling people out. Dammit Benny, this is the sort of thing you were supposed to do. Still, not going to let him attack the others if I can help it.

John was quicker than he'd ever been, the pistol practically leaping into his hand, as Phelps was sent flying backwards.

He felt rather than heard the other shot, causing him to stumble
OOC Comments
shaken and 1 wound Benny to soak
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 4: 4
John reached down and felt where the impact had hit him.

"Got to say, I do like this coat," he smiled, holding up a flattened bullet, "I'm alright." It feels strange Hope showing concern about me.
He looked around at the rapidly disappearing thugs "I guess that they don't want any part of this anymore."

He smiled at Jackson for the support, holstering his pistol.
"Surprised at how well that went myself."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed May 30, 2018 2:46 am

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
"I say," Archibald calls out, still with sword to hand. "Could have sworn that I spied movement on that ridge just now, our Indian friend perhaps?"

"I mean, he wasn't with the rest of these scoundrels and I'd be surprised if he wasn't close by."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Wed May 30, 2018 3:15 am

rolls carried
Archibald Ellsworth wrote:"I say," Archibald calls out, still with sword to hand. "Could have sworn that I spied movement on that ridge just now, our Indian friend perhaps?"

"I mean, he wasn't with the rest of these scoundrels and I'd be surprised if he wasn't close by."
John looks around for any sign of the Indian

"Wouldn't surprise me either, but with Phelps down and the rest fleeing, he probably decided to try another day..

He stops holding onto the hitching post and dusts himself down.

"Best to be gone from here. I don't know what the law is like around here, but if they are in the employ of Bayou Vermillion, then they could cause us trouble."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed May 30, 2018 4:23 am

Rolls carried.

"Yes." Nods Archibald as he sheaths his sword. "I can prescribe to that theory Mr Baxter and we have been charged with the safety of Mr Sutter's niece."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am

Notice
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
As the rest of the Bandits slowly start backing away, I turn the Shotgun towards them and pull back both hammers...

"Hold it Boys. Now, you came to the Ranch looking for trouble, you tried to take us here in town as well. Now, I don't wish to get ambushed on the way back to the ranch so, all of you undo those gun belts, let them drop where you stand then, walk away. We won't touch 'em and after we leave town, you can come back and get 'em. I spent many years in Dodge so, I know how people get thinking about revenge. Lets call this the end between us and no hard feelings."
OOC Comments
If they drop their gun belts, I will ease up both hammers and point the gun towards the ground. "Good day Gentlemen."
If they refuse to drop the gun belts, I will keep the gun trained on them as they walk away. "So be it. Next time, I won't be so nice.
Last edited by Jack on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Wed May 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Bishop is relieved to see John win, though the figure who had been watching the duel doesn’t bode well. Was this just a test of some sort? Either way, Phelps is dead and there’s one less fool out to mess with Sutter and us as his employees.
She’s grateful she’d also picked up a duster at the shops after seeing how well John’s had protected him. ”Congratulations,” she says to him, ”that was some impressive shooting!”
Bishop keeps her bow up and ready as they wait to see whether or not the goons will drop their weaponry.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:20 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
***

At seeing the flattened bullet, Hope nods and seems to get awkward. She straightens up and lifts her pert little nose a bit. “Well, don’t go doing such fool things again, Mr. Baxter,” she scolded him, turning away in what would have been a right flurry of skirts if she’d been in a dress, but the effect was rather lost in the men’s clothes she wore.

Hope went to the body of Phelps and knelt down. She gently closed his eyes with her fingers and pulled the small black book out of her coat pocket, opening to the Psalms and reading out the Twenty-third in respect for the dead.

“Someone should get the coroner. And the sheriff.”

***
Conditions
Deflection -2 to hit (1r)
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Card: Say something crazy or distracting to cause all foes to suffer a -2 multi-action penalty for one round.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:07 pm

"John, that was some mighty fine shootin, glad to have you on our side. Now, you won the gun fight fair and square so by rights, I believe his gun and belt are yours. As for call'in the town Marshall, I'm sure he has heard by now. I think we should get going before more trouble."

I then get up and head over to our mounts, check my saddle and straps, then mount up.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 3:05 PM
Fear Level: 2


The thugs do as they are told and drop their gunbelts. The lone one with sand (or just plain dumb) smiles and tips his hat.

“No trouble here, none at all.”

It’s obvious its all crocodile teeth, though. Still, they melt into the alleys of the few buildings.


Pettinger comes out of his store and looks you all over. It’s hard to tell if the greedy shopkeep is on your side or not, or maybe he’s seen this a few times to often as his mood is best described as annoyed apathy.

“Town ain’t big enough to warrant a sheriff anymore. Local Marshall be through in another week or so. Doc Sheppard is the town coroner and doctor….also the vet. Hopefully the shots woke him up...though I doubt it. Never seen a man drink rotgut the way he does.”

As if on cue, a man that is about as wide as he was tall waddles out into the street. He’s sweating profusely and reeks of stale booze.

“I’m here, I’m here. Are you alright, son? Look to be. Can’t say the same for the scoundrel on his back. I’ll need statements from each of you. You can write them yourselves or dictate them to me and just put our mark on what I write down. We’ll give it to the Marshall when he passes through. Should be all that is needed as I can corroborate the fact that it was in self defense. I’d write a statement myself but I’ll be busy getting this man off the street, prepared for burial, in a box….”

As the man goes on and on about what it takes to prepare a body, it becomes obvious he is looking for help getting Phelps off the street.

Abby has not said a word since seeing the showdown and is doing her best impression of a goldfish, wide-eyed and opening and closing her mouth. It’s obvious she is greener than she let on.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Notice 6
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
"Yes, of course doctor." Archibald nods. "Though if you'll just excuse me just for a moment sir..."

Archibald walks over to Abby, places his pith helmet under his arm and asks. "Miss Sutter, are you alright? Do you require anything?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
***

“Thank you, Doctor,” Hope said, putting a hand on Doc Sheppard’s arm. “I’ll write up a statement and we will all sign it,” she promised, looking back at the others. It would give them time to get everything they needed and hopefully get out of here before there was more trouble.

Hope mounted the steps to the store again, nodding approvingly to Archibald as he handled Abby Sutter.

“Mr. Pettinger, if I could trouble you for some paper, pen, and ink,” she requested with a bright, flirtatious smile.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Card: Say something crazy or distracting to cause all foes to suffer a -2 multi-action penalty for one round.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am

Notice
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 4: 4
Jack wrote:"John, that was some mighty fine shootin, glad to have you on our side. Now, you won the gun fight fair and square so by rights, I believe his gun and belt are yours. As for call'in the town Marshall, I'm sure he has heard by now. I think we should get going before more trouble."
John rubs his side where the bullet struck

"Thank you, but lets not try to do that again."
Muskrat Jack wrote:“I’m here, I’m here. Are you alright, son? Look to be. Can’t say the same for the scoundrel on his back. I’ll need statements from each of you. You can write them yourselves or dictate them to me and just put our mark on what I write down. We’ll give it to the Marshall when he passes through. Should be all that is needed as I can corroborate the fact that it was in self defense. I’d write a statement myself but I’ll be busy getting this man off the street, prepared for burial, in a box….”

As the man goes on and on about what it takes to prepare a body, it becomes obvious he is looking for help getting Phelps off the street.
"Let me help you and I'll write up the statement." John reaches down to take off the gunbelt before helping him pick up the body.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Bishop joins the good captain and Abby. ”Is this the first death you’ve witnessed? When we get back to camp I’ll try to rustle you up something warm and sweet. That’s what my aunt did for me a few years back and it helped.” She tries to help Captain Ellsworth comfort the shaken girl, remembering how she had felt after watching her aunt and mentor kill a man in self defense.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Notice 3
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1


Not knowing how else to assist, Jackson removes a few tools and what look like a beat-up old pair of goggles. "This will only be a moment," he says, getting to work.
Time to Create Gadget: 1 Minute
Time to create 1d20 = 1: 1minutes.
Jackson carefully applies a thin coating of Ghost Rock to the lenses and makes a few adjustments before ultimately nodding to himself.

"Okay, these should let me see if anything spectrally anomalous is about. Our shaman friend may have already left, but with these I might be able to see if he's left any traces behind."
Weird Science for Detect Arcana 5
Weird Science 1d8 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 am

Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 5:15 PM
Fear Level: 2


John and Jack help Doc Sheppard with Phelps’ body. The man is tall and thin so it's more difficult to get him situated in a pine box than it is to lift him. Once that business is done, Doc Sheppard shoos them away so he can work.

“Seems like you all have a bit of education so just drop the statements off when you finish them. I’ll take care of this poor scallywag here.”

Meeting back up at Pettinger’s, Abby is doing a little better. Archibald has made some of his tea and Bishop has made it so it is more sugar than anything else, although a good measure of brandy was added as well.

Hope has organized the statements and has made sure everyone did their civic duty, including Pettinger, who busies himself to provide whatever help he can in a way that is overly generous--quite different from the last time you met.

“A day or so after you folks left, Phelps set up in the ‘Crow. No one’s come to open the place back up after Jeb left, but they took it over like they owned it themselves. They also ran up a tab here in my shop, too. Told me Bayou Vermilion would pay me. I doubt that will ever happen though. If Sutter is headed out for a drive, I don’t know how I will stay in business. Really just me and Doc and a few folks that either aren’t able to work as a ranch hand or can’t stay sober long enough to do so.”

Pettinger will go on with his troubles and the troubles of the dying town as long as anyone will listen.

Jackson busies himself with a set of goggles and walks out of the store to scan the mountains and ridges where movement was detected that afternoon. Nothing natural or supernatural appears to be up there now. For a brief instant, if Jackson squints hard enough, there is a slight glow but its fleeting and it could have been after images from straining his eyes. If it was some sort of mystic energy its long gone now. Two things are discovered however, and those are the sun is setting behind the mountains and you have not eaten since breakfast at the ranch.


What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
After seeing to Abby, Archibald tracks down John and asks him "Mr Baxter, do you think we'll be able to reach the ranch before nightfall?"

"Given what we've already encountered and a possible foe laying in wait, I don't particularly fancy our chances out in the wilderness at night."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 am

Notice
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
Notice 7
Notice Original post: 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild Original post: 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Explosion 1d6 = 6: 6
After seeing to Abby, Archibald tracks down John and asks him "Mr Baxter, do you think we'll be able to reach the ranch before nightfall?"

"Given what we've already encountered and a possible foe laying in wait, I don't particularly fancy our chances out in the wilderness at night."
Standing next to John, I overhear Archie ask the question on everybody's mind.

"You bring up a valid point Sir. Yes, it is getting late and the odds of us running into trouble on the way back to the ranch is high. Several things we need to consider.

First, is the safety of Mr. Sutters Niece. The whole reason we came to town was to escort her so that is our number one priority.

Second thing we need to think about, how worried will Mr. Sutter be when we don't return tonight with his niece. Will he mount up riders and come looking or trust us to look after her?

Third, as Mr. Pettinger has said, Phelps and his boys set up shop in the Crow. That means the town is their territory so, finding a safe place may be difficult.

Just a few things we need to think about and think about them quickly. I say we set up shop in the store and pay Mr. Pettinger some money to do so. It seems he may need the cash as I doubt that Mr. Vermilion will settle the debt created by his boys."


I stand there with the other two looking over the area and thinking to myself as to the best course of action. And the more I think about it, the more I feel the store is our best option.
1d6 = 1: 1
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:24 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
***

Hope listened to Pettinger as he talked about his troubles. As a working girl, she’d learned a lot of what men wanted was a listening ear. As the sun sets, she shares the others’ concern. She didn’t look forward to making it back to the ranch before dark. Nor did she particularly like the prospect of camping out on the general store floor. She wanted a bed, even if it was an uncomfortable bunk in the bunkhouse.

“Might be just as dangerous to stay here as head back,” Hope allowed. “If Bayou Vermillion decides to play for a little revenge, we might want to fortify up.” There was always the possibility Vermillion might hit them on the way home too.

“There any place we can get some dinner here in town?” Hope asked.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Card: Say something crazy or distracting to cause all foes to suffer a -2 multi-action penalty for one round.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:39 am

Notice

1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 2: 2

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:After seeing to Abby, Archibald tracks down John and asks him "Mr Baxter, do you think we'll be able to reach the ranch before nightfall?""Given what we've already encountered and a possible foe laying in wait, I don't particularly fancy our chances out in the wilderness at night."
Jack wrote:"You bring up a valid point Sir. Yes, it is getting late and the odds of us running into trouble on the way back to the ranch is high. Several things we need to consider. First, is the safety of Mr. Sutters Niece. The whole reason we came to town was to escort her so that is our number one priority. Second thing we need to think about, how worried will Mr. Sutter be when we don't return tonight with his niece. Will he mount up riders and come looking or trust us to look after her?Third, as Mr. Pettinger has said, Phelps and his boys set up shop in the Crow. That means the town is their territory so, finding a safe place may be difficult. Just a few things we need to think about and think about them quickly. I say we set up shop in the store and pay Mr. Pettinger some money to do so. It seems he may need the cash as I doubt that Mr. Vermilion will settle the debt created by his boys."
John looks around and thinks wait, did I just get put in charge?

"With Phelps down, I suspect they'll be running for whomever he reported to. We are a lot safer at the ranch than here. Have a talk with the locals, it might be possible to convince them to come with us. If this town is about to become like some of them mining towns, we might be the last chance for many of them to get out."


OOC Comments
What time is sun down and how long does it take to get to the ranch from here?
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jackson
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jackson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:08 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6


Jackson tries to ignore the rumbling of his stomach, but even with the excitement of the day, a guy's gotta eat.

As they make preparations, Jackson can't help but ponder on the day's events. He'd finally seen a real gunfight, and he was... disappointed. Numb, somehow. They had always seemed so exciting in the stories, but in reality the duel itself had been almost too fast to track and had left Jackson with an uncomfortable knot in his stomach.

On top of all that, something the shopkeep said sticks with Jackson. How will this town survive? With the way things are going, and no one here to stand up for the people, Sutter's Flats doesn't seem long for this world. He finds himself idly wondering if there might be some kind of opportunity for him here in town, perhaps a place to start a workshop? The economics of it don't make any sense, of course, but there is a stop on the railroad to bring in supplies, at least. And he can think of dozens of ways in which the new science could benefit the people here in town... so he let's himself daydream while they work.
Character Summary
Jackson Hartway, III a New Scientist
Charisma: 0
Parry: 4
Pace: 4, d4 to run
Toughness: 5
Notable Edges: Gadgeteer
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Shooting d6, Riding d4, Notice d6, Weird Science d8, Repair d8, Knowledge (Engineering) d6, Knowledge (Science) d6, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: bolt gizmo, tool kit
Wounds: 1/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Fate Chips: 3/3 (1 red, 2 white)
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:40 am

John Baxter wrote: "With Phelps down, I suspect they'll be running for whomever he reported to. We are a lot safer at the ranch than here. Have a talk with the locals, it might be possible to convince them to come with us. If this town is about to become like some of them mining towns, we might be the last chance for many of them to get out."
"Well, in that case we better get ready. Everyone, check your weapons and make sure they are fully loaded and the actions aren't jammed. Jackson, if you don't mind, check the store and see if we can get some grub to eat for now and some extra to take with us. I'll get the horses and wagon ready to go. John, I'm not sure how you want to convince the residents to go so, you may want to talk to them with Hope's help. I'm not so sure on taking them with us is the best idea but, I haven't been out this far west so, you would know better about this type of situation than I do."

I walk over to the horses and check the saddles, reins and shoes. I also check the wagon wheels and ensure the horses are hitched correctly. Then, I ensure both guns are loaded and the hammers/triggers are clean.
OOC Comments
I figure the amount of time to talk to the residents and gather supplies would be enough time to check our mounts and my weaopns. Repair check to ensure all in working order and basic Notice check to see what's happening.
Notice
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Repair
Repair 1d8 = 8: 8
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Explosion 1d8 = 3: 3
11 Total repair check
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
As irritating as some of Pettinger’s prattling is, it gives Bishop a better idea of the type of people they’re up against. She’d been hoping some of the heat would die down once they left town and were out in the wilderness but that’s looking less and less likely.
Once the topic of whether to stay or go comes up, Bishop is torn. ”I like the sound of being at camp where it’s our territory and we have reinforcements if necessary but if we’re going to be taking town folk with us I have some concerns. Are they going to be able to face critters like those giant spiders without panicking and getting themselves injured? We may want to set up a perimeter of sorts with those who can’t fight on the inside just in case.”
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Sutter’s Flats, Texas
March 27th 1880 6:15 PM
Fear Level: 2


Pettinger offers up some dried and cured foods he has in the store. There is plenty of it, but it’s obvious Pettinger isn’t much of a cook as there is not much in the way of means to better to prepare it other than eating it as is.

Abby seems to be ok, and goes about making sure the supplies that you all came for are packed into the wagon. She is quieter than normal but otherwise seems no worse for wear.

As you finish up supper and check your gear, Jackson talks to Pettinger in low tones on the other side of the store. At the end of the conversation, they shake hands and both seem to be pleased at whatever they were discussing.

Jackson approaches and it’s obvious he wants to say something, but he continues to play with his hands and shuffle his feet. Finally, the your scientist blurts it out.

“I’m staying. Mr. Pettinger has said he will put me in contact with his Smith and Robards distributor and that there is a good chance I might be able to start my own field office. Tell Mr. Sutter I appreciate the opportunity. Pettinger has agreed to give the supplies at a discount to cover what’s left of my advance and then some. I wish you all the best of luck on the drive. Stop back in when you get back.”

Although his speech is a little rushed, the determination is there so its obvious Jackson is committed. Abby hugs him tightly, maybe a second or two longer than appropriate and kisses him on the cheek.

“Best of luck to you, Mr. Hartway. We’ll miss you.”

Jackson turns as red as the setting sun, and as Abby steps away, he shoves a weird device into her hands.

“Here, take this. It will help mask your trail on the way back.”

With the wagon loaded up and no sign of any activity, it’s time to set out. And as if the trip back couldn't get any worse, the sky turns a cobalt gray and the first fat drops of rain begin to fall.


What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Notice 5
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Common Knowledge 9
Smarts 1d4 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 9: 3
***

Hope looked up as the rain started. “Oh, he--eck,” she said, catching herself. She pulled her hat down low and the collar of her duster up high. “Great. And me without a parasol.” Hope paused a moment, touching the cross at her throat.
Environmental Protection 6; Success, 1 hour
Novice -2
Faith 1d10 = 6: 6
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
The rain spattered at Hope, but seemed to bounce off just shy of hitting her. She looked up at the sky and smiled. “Thank you.”

Climbing up onto the wagon, she settled in for the ride back to the ranch.

***
Conditions
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Notice_11
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Explosion 1d4 = 4: 4
Explosion 1d4 = 3: 3
Just as I was getting ready to mount up, I could feel the first few rain drops start to fall. I see Hope get up into the wagon and look at the sky, not too happy. I walk into Pettinger's and look for something and after only a minute I see one behind the counter and purchase it.
I walk out to the wagon as more rain is starting to fall and approach Hope.

"Her you go My Lady," I hand up the parasol I just purchased "I wouldn't want to see you get all soaking wet in this weather"
As I hand it up, I notice the rain not quite touching her. For some reason it seems to be bouncing away before even hitting her.

No, that can't be, I must be much more tired than I thought. I haven't been drinking, my tobacco is normal, not laced with anything, I need to get some shut eye but, I have never Hallucinated before when I got tired or if I have been drinking. I look back up and the rain is just avoiding her, I turn my head and go back towards my mount and mount up. I put a few cartridges in my pockets with the flaps closed so they remain dry and keep my shotgun draped across my saddle for quick action.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
"I bid you farewell and good fortune in your future ventures Mr Jackson." Archibald says, shaking the young man's hand. "I shall see if a correspondence could be kept."

After saying his goodbyes to Jackson, Archibald helps load the wagon but keeps an eye to see how Abby is bearing up. When the heavens opened and rain began to fall, he follows suit after Jack and sees about acquiring cloaks from Pettinger's store for the rest of the womenfolk in the party. He then presents the cloaks to both Abby and Bishop. "M'ladies, these should hopefully offer some protection from the elements."

Once the cloaks had been handed over, Archibald goes to his horse and unties the rolled-up oilskin cape from the back of the saddle.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:48 am

“Thank you kindly,” Hope told Jackson when he brought her a parasol, and Archibald got cloaks for Bishop and Abby. “But might be you need it more.” She smiled and pulled the collar of her duster up, even though the rain wasn’t hitting her anymore.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 am

Bishop has no clue how Jackson made the device that would supposedly mask their trail but she’s certainly grateful for it. The rain also seems like a good omen; it’ll hopefully dampen their scents against any wild critters that may decide their group looks like a tasty meal.

She thanks Archibald for his consideration in getting get her and Abby cloaks. ”Thank you good sir. That was very kind of you, especially after the shock Abby went through.”

Hope’s complete avoidance of the rain is amazing. She sure can do a lot with her faith. I’m fond of my bow and would never give it up, but she sure does make me wonder where life would have taken me if I’d had that conversion.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Lazy S Ranch, Texas
March 28th 1880 4:15 AM
Fear Level: 2


It’s a long slow ride in a rain that is just shy of a downpour. Luckily, the horses know the way home as Abby most definitely does not. Still a t risk of bogging the wagon down or a horse slipping off the track in the dark, you can’t give them their full head and so it's another long night on the trail.

But other than a wet ride that seemed to last forever, you make it back to the ranch no worse for where. Sutter is on the porch of the ranch house, and although there is an empty bottle of whisky by his side, he is fully alert and awake. The look he has on his face would cause a rattlesnake to slink back into its hole, but it softens considerably when Abby jumps down and runs to give him a hug. You can’t hear what is said between them, but the hard look returns and he shoos her inside to dry out and get some rest.

He invites you up out of the rain on the porch and produces another bottle. There are enough chairs and tree stumps turned stools for all of you, but it's almost preferable to stand after the long ride.

“Ok, let’s have it. I wanna know everything that happened and what I need to be worrying about on this drive.”
Interludes
Those who posted go ahead and give yourself the extra 1 XP and a Benny--good stuff!. Those who have not, you still have the opportunity to do so!
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
"Well, we escorted your niece into town as requested." Said Archibald. "That cad Phelps came upon us and challenged Mr Baxter, though ultimately he didn't get long to ponder his regrets."

"With Phelps indisposed, his ruffians turned tail and fled giving us no further trouble. Though what bothers me is that we saw neither hide nor hair of that Indian fellow, though I'd bet a gold sovereign that he was somewhere close by during the affair."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Notice 1d8 = 2: 2
1d6 = 2: 2

John shook Jackson's hand and wished him good luck with his future endeavours, before getting back in the saddle.

During the long trip back, John was out front making sure there was
Muskrat Jack wrote:“Ok, let’s have it. I wanna know everything that happened and what I need to be worrying about on this drive.”
"As the Captain said, Phelps and a bunch of his goons turned up. If I hadn't taken him down, we'd have ended up with a gunfight in the streets where your niece might have been wounded."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Notice 19
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 12: 6
Ace 1d6+12 = 18: 6
Ace 1d6+18 = 19: 1
Common Knowledge 3
Smarts 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
***

“It was quite an impressive bit of shooting John did,” Hope told Mr. Sutter. “Phelps didn’t even clear the holster. I’m not sure he even knows he’s dead yet,” the redhead said with a chuckle. “But I doubt we’ve made any friends with the Bayou Vermillions. We might want to be gone before too long, if we can manage it. We’re safe out here, more or less, but I can’t say the same if anyone went into town again.”
OOC Comments
And cue the Harrowed Phelps :/
***
Conditions
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Notice
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
"While John there took up the challenge, I covered the others. I believe most of them are all talk. I could see it in their eyes how they really didn't have it in them but, were acting big due to that Phelps guy and one other. I watched them closely as the duel went down and only one other looked like he might be trouble so, I would think if they strike again, there may only be a small handful we really need to worry about and then the others will flee.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am

Bishop can’t believe they got home safely and without a fight. Someone here must have exceptionally good luck. Either that or someone’s looking out for us.

She listens as the others fill their boss in and then chimes in, ”they pretty much covered it all. Jackson stayed so he won’t be on the trail with us but you may have already known that. Anything interesting happen while we were gone?”
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:07 pm

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
April 21st 1880 2:15 PM
Fear Level: 2


Following the dust-up at Pettinger’s Supply, Sutter is more determined than ever to get the herd on the trail. The next few weeks are spent on final preparations, both for the herd and the cowboys themselves. For safety reasons, Sutter keeps all his hands close to the ranch. Once the herd rolls out, everyone on the ranch is given a specific job on the drive. Sutter makes all the major decisions, but Luke, as the most knowledgeable on the route, is the trail boss. His job is not only to find the best trail for the herd, but also to ride out ahead and locate watering holes and campsites.

What it looks like

Swing, Flank, and Drag
The Lazy S riders are split between riding point, swing, and flank. The point riders are the most experienced hands outside the trail boss. They have the coveted spot at the head of the herd and keep the lead steers headed in the right direction. They also set the pace for the drive. Luke Canton is almost always assigned to one of the point positions. Swing men ride in pairs, one on each side about a third of the way back along the herd, and keep things moving. The flank riders are usually positioned in a pair about two-thirds of the way back and are responsible for wrangling in cattle that drift off to one side or the other of the main body. As the least experienced (at least at the Lazy S), you all are given the job of “riding drag” on the drive— which means they follow directly behind it. Drag riders are responsible for picking up any stragglers and driving the slower cattle at the herd’s pace. They also get to breathe the dust and flatulence of several thousand cows and beeves, so it’s pretty much the bottom of the totem pole on the drive. There’s another reason Sutter places you in the drag position. It’s the most likely direction for Indian raiders, rustlers, or outlaws to strike the herd, as they can often get in and back out before the rest of the crew even realizes an attack is underway. Sutter’s hands may know cattle, but they’re not necessarily seasoned gunhands, in the Almighty’s good graces, or attuned to the arcane.

The Remuda
Abby is given the job of tending the crew’s collection of riding horses, known as its remuda. She’s responsible for keeping the animals together during the drive. During the day, she usually keeps the remuda fairly close to the chuck wagon and at night she ties them off in a rope corral near the campsite. Each trail hand has a group of five or six horses known as his “string.” It’s fairly common for a rider to have horses that he favors for certain jobs: a hardy animal for daily riding, a swift one for round-up purposes, and a surefoot, canny mount for riding night watch. All told, this amounts to several dozen horses under her care. You all each have your favored horse (or mule) plus three other mounts in the string.

Chuck Wagon
The heart—and more importantly, stomach—of the trail crew is the chuck wagon. The chuck wagon is the sole responsibility of Javier Ortega, a former Mexican soldier who guards that authority closely. No one is allowed to touch the wagon or its contents without his approval—and
usually his close supervision as well. The wagon carries not only the foodstuffs for the trail, but also any gear too bulky to fit on the cowboys’ mounts, such as bedrolls, tarps for bad weather, and the like. A water barrel is strapped to one side of the wagon and what looks like an upright cabinet is affixed to the rear. The cabinet is Ortega’s rolling kitchen. A hinged lid lets down to form a work table, exposing an array of drawers and cubbies holding everything from salt and lard to tobacco and castor oil. Underneath the wagon, another box—called the boot—holds the skillets, pots, pans, and Ortega’s prized dutch oven. Ortega doesn’t pull night watch, but still has the longest working day of anyone on the drive. He’s up in time to prepare an early hot breakfast in the mornings and typically doesn’t bed down until after the last hand settles in for the night. His last job each night is to point the tongue of the wagon toward the North Star to orient the herd the next day in case the morning sky is overcast. The chuck wagon normally rides ahead of the herd to give Ortega time to set up camp and prepare dinner in time for the crew’s arrival.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first few days of the drive are rather humdrum. Most of your time is likely spent just figuring out exactly what they’re supposed to be doing besides learning to breathe dust and swatting flies. On the third afternoon out of the Lazy S, Hope sees a dust cloud off in the distance and behind the drive. It’s there for a second and then it's gone, lost in the late afternoon haze. Earlier in the day, Sutter and Luke rode out ahead of the herd to scout for the next day’s watering hole. They have not returned yet, but Sutter warned the crew ahead of time that they would likely not be back before the next morning. Four Lazy S cowboys are also currently out of wrangling up some stragglers at the far edges of the herd.
Who’s Who
Here’s a handy list to help keep track of the various cowboys and workers on the Lazy S drive.
Bill Sutter: Owner of the Lazy S herd and head honcho of the cattle drive.
Abigail “Abby” Morton: Bill’s headstrong niece, and youngest member of the crew.
Luke Canton: Sutter’s most trusted employee, Luke is trail boss for this crew. He’s a leathery old cowboy who’s seen it all and takes no guff.
Javier Ortega: A former Mexican soldier, Javier cooks food for the crew and drives the chuck wagon.
Lazy S Cowboys: An additional 14 cowboys are employed on the cattle drive.
Interludes
Good job on the rest of the interludes. Go ahead and take the xp and Benny
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5

Explodes 1d6 = 2: 2
Each day since leaving the Lazy S range Archibald kept, as best he could, a log in his journal detailing the progress of the drive. Lacking time and the equipment to conduct a proper survey, he settled for noting down details and sketching various landmarks in case they needed to backtrack. Periodically he consulted his pocket-watch and made further notes in his journal, doing his best to keep track of how far they'd traveled. He vowed to himself that some point in the future he would get hold of a map and see if he could retrace the route of the drive.

When he wasn't keeping a record of the herd's progress, Archibald kept half an eye on Bill's niece Abigail. For Archibald it was a sense of duty, after all he and the others had been charged with her protection by Bill himself and Archibald felt that responsibility had not ended upon their return from town. In a way, Archibald felt a small measure of pity for the girl has she'd been out of her depth and shaken by the encounter with Phelps back in Sutter's Flats. Regardless he kept his distance from the girl and exchanged polite words whenever their paths crossed.

Additionally, when they'd camped for the night he tried getting in a bit of practice with his sword. Ideally improving his marksmanship would've been the better idea, but he didn't want to cause alarm or spook the herd. His other worry was that gunshots would draw unwanted attention out here, away from civilization. No, sparring practice with his sabre was a happy compromise...particularly when a bemused cowboy obliged him.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:27 am

Notice
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Explosion 1d4 = 4: 4
DBL Explosion 1d4 = 3: 3
This isn't exactly what I thought I had signed up for. I had seen ranch hands come into town before dirty but, this was too much. Now I know why there are not as many experienced hands, after riding drag for a drive most probably quit.
The drive hasn't been so bad. Riding in the drag position, I have been able to improve my riding skills as I chase down those few cattle who try and escape and as such, I am actually lassoing the strays a little easier.
One reason for that is at night, after we settle down, I pull out my cleaning supplies and ensure my weapons are in top condition for the next day. Well, word must have gotten around that I am a Gunsmith by trade and the other riders have been asking me to clean their weapons of all the dust and dirt of the day as well. I have used that to my advantage in a couple of ways. First, I have asked a few to help me with my lassoing, they have given me some great pointers which have helped me greatly. Second, I am now known around camp and have proven that even though I am green at cattle driving, I can be depended on for other tasks and have actually become friendly with the others to the point that I am only picked on about my hat once in a while instead of a few times a day.

One evening after cleaning the weapons and camp being set up, I was just lounging by the wagon with some of the others smoking my pipe. After we finish this drive, I don't think there will be a bath big enough to clean all this grime off. So, when this is over, what plans do you all have? I'm thinking of finding a decent sized town and opening up my own shop with all the newest tools so I can make and repair any weapon brought in. Might be nice to actually find someone who can stay by my side instead of me wandering. Hmmm, might be nice at that.
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:09 am

Notice 13
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8 ace 1d8 = 5: 5
1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 6: 6 1d6 = 1: 1
John was far more used to riding as a pathfinder, so being stuck in Drag position didn't sit entirely well with him. Of course, being considered one of the best shots in the trail crew meant he was expected to take care of most of the trouble that might come their way.

He kept his eye out for trouble as they travelled along; they would attract the attention of predators, mostly animal, but no doubt a few humans were looking to cause trouble.

When they stopped for the night, he'd clean his horses and equipment as best he could. If there was something he couldn't do anything about, he'd ask Jack for help.

Whilst he was a knife man, he could still put up a fight with the Captain, keeping both of their skills sharp

Otherwise, he'd entertain people as best he could on the Harmonica. If anybody had any new tunes to teach him, he'd take them up on that to expand his repertoire.

At night, he would take up one of the watches. He seemed to be able to cope with late nights better than the others.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:55 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Common Knowledge 14
Smarts 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 12: 6
Ace 1d6+12 = 14: 2
***

Not for the first time, Hope coughed. She maneuvered Devil Eyes out of that particular cloud of dust and tugged the bandana covering her face up a bit tighter. Her red hair was reduced to a vague beige from the dust, along with her clothes. It was hot, too, sweat cutting rivulets through the dust on her face, green eyes tearing up occasionally to clear the dust away. She swatted at the flies as she turned back to glance behind.

Hope was turning back forward when she paused and looked back again. Was that a dust cloud behind them? She peered closer, seeing it only briefly, and then it was lost in the afternoon haze.

As one of the only woman on the trail besides Abby, Hope got to bunk with the young Sutter girl and Bishop. They had been given strict orders not to “cause trouble with the boys”, though Hope wasn’t sure Abby knew how to “cause trouble” that way. Hope had also been told to keep an eye on Abby in camp at night. Again, no trouble. Fair enough. They got along together nice enough, both new to this trail thing, though Abby didn’t have to eat dust all day.

Hope sent Devil Eyes cantering a bit and tugged down her bandana when she was out of the direct dust cloud and into a breeze. She gave a sharp whistle toward John Baxter, who had sort of become the lead drag man.

“I don’t know, Baxter, but I thought I saw something behind us,” Hope told John. There was still a bit of tension between them, but Hope hadn’t made any more attempts to kill him after he had sort of not explained things back at the ranch. “A dust cloud. Just saw it for a second, so I’m not sure if it’s anything.”

Hope glanced back again. “Should I go check it out?”

***
Conditions
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:49 am

Rolls carried
Hope Monaghan wrote:Hope sent Devil Eyes cantering a bit and tugged down her bandana when she was out of the direct dust cloud and into a breeze. She gave a sharp whistle toward John Baxter, who had sort of become the lead drag man.“I don’t know, Baxter, but I thought I saw something behind us,” Hope told John. There was still a bit of tension between them, but Hope hadn’t made any more attempts to kill him after he had sort of not explained things back at the ranch. “A dust cloud. Just saw it for a second, so I’m not sure if it’s anything.” Hope glanced back again. “Should I go check it out?”
John looks behind him towards where Hope pointed out the dust cloud

"If something is back there, it might be nothing; might be a predator looking for a stray cattle .. or person," John adjusts his hat, brow furrowed, "or Bayou Vermillion looking to ambush us."

He looks around at his fellow drag riders

"If its nothing, no harm, but if it is something, we are better off sneaking up on it. Better to catch whatever or whomever it is in the act. You any good at sneaking around?" he asks Hope, something in his tone suggesting that he suspected not.
OOC Comments
for the record, only Bishop and John have stealth
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Notice 6
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
"Pardon my interruption," Said Archibald. "But may I weigh in on the discussion?"

"I agree it sounds like something that should be checked out, even if to put everyone at ease. Though I'd be wary of splitting our force, if you'll forgive that term, too much." Archibald stated. "I say send a couple of riders on fast horses, that way if it proves to malignant then its double the chances of somebody getting back to warn the rest of us. Also we won't weaken our strength too much."

"Though I'll be the first to admit that I'm no scout, though I can see about making sure the rest of the men are ready in case it does turn out to be trouble."
OOC Comments
Doing both Knowledge (Battle) and Knowledge (Geography) to determine whether any of the local terrain could be used as natural defenses in case of hostile action.

Knowledge (Battle) 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2

Knowledge (Geography) 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 1: 1
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
April 21st 1880 4:15 PM
Fear Level: 2


Without Sutter or Luke, you all are on your own as to what to do. Although, Hope can’t see it anymore, John, Jack, and Archibald do see what looks like something kicking up the Texas dirt behind the drive.

On one hand, it's far enough away that there isn’t any real threat at the moment. On the other hand, it is your job to protect the herd from rustlers-which this may likely be. The cowboys will look to you to decide. Javier shrugs and simply indicates that if you miss chow, you’ll go hungry. Abby, although she will not admit it, feels safer with you all around.

It will be getting dark in a few hours, about the amount of time it would take to go check it out and come back.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
While Bishop’s not thrilled to be riding in a cloud of what must be a million farts, she is pretty happy with the companionship. Between John’s harmonica and the other riders at the back being in the same crummy position as her, it doesn’t seem so bad. She is grateful though when it looks like the opportunity for some more action has come up with Hope spotting a dust cloud in the distance.

”If we’re looking for someone for sneaking, I’m half decent. I’m not the stealthiest person in the world but I’m better than average,” she volunteers. ”I’d be happy to be one of the riders going to check it out. And that way whoever or whatever it is will be taken care of before we’d be having to potentially fight in the dark.”
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 am

Listening to the others, Jack decides to chim in a bit.

Well, if it is vermin looking for a stray we shouldn't really worry about it but, keep an eye out. If it is our friend looking for ambush, then I suggest we don't send anyone back at all. I'm sure he knows how a drive works beter than we do.
If I was setting up an ambush, I would create a deversion in the rear to draw riders back to investigate and thin the numbers a bit. I would have the main ambush up ahead waiting for the drive to pass then spring the trap. As much as we need to know what's back there, I think it would be a mistake to go. Maybe scout out the sides a bit more and up ahead so we are all still in close proximity of the herd and able to respond to an attack much faster. Of course, this is my first drive and also, unlike Archibald I am not versed in combat as he is so, this is all just my opinion.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 am

rolls carried

"Could easily be what you say Jack." John blew a couple of notes on his harmonica, collecting his thoughts, for some reason, everyone is looking to me."but considering what they have been up to so far, catching one of them is of benefit to the drive's success. This is why I suggest only two of us go and it be the ones who are actually good at sneaking around to catch the drop on them."


He looks at Archibald, Hope and Jack. "You three are better here, Bishop and I can sneak and if there is something out there that requires a special touch, Bishop has the ability to hurt it. The Captain is best suited to organising everyone here and if it goes the way you think Jack, then its his skills that will be the most important."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Jack » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 pm

"That works for me, as I definately am not one to sneak around and I am still learning what is and isn't normal out here. Make sure your back by nightfall and if anything does happen around here, I'm sure you'll hear about it.

I turn my attention to Archibald.

"So Captain, how do you want to proceed while they head out? If this is an ambush, they most certainly will try to take out the spare horses and Supply Wagon.

While the ones with knowledge decide, I pull out my pipe, stuff in some tobacco and start smoking.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Notice 11
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 3: 3
"Agreed, probably in our best interests to move our spare horses and the wagons closer to the herd so that they're covered by the ring of riders." Replied Archibald. "In addition to making sure those same riders are aware there might be trouble, though it'll be worth finding out if any of them have keen eyes or the like."

"I shall see if the fellows on...ah...point wouldn't mind a an extra pair of eyes."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:19 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4+4 = 5: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Common Knowledge 5
Smarts 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
***

Hope shrugged. “Sneakin’ outta me pa’s house to dally with boys count?” Hope asked John. “I can try. Maybe get a bit of help?” Her green eyes drifted up to the sky a moment, then back to John. “Bishop seems pretty sneaky. Maybe see if she wants to go.”

Archibald cantered up to comment, as well, and the others came over, too.

John and Bishop seemed to agree they would be best.

“I’ll ride up the left side and let the riders know to be extra alert. Then I’ll talk to Abbey before falling back here,” Hope said. “Send up a shot if you need help, John,” she told Baxter. “Some kind of signal. We’ll come as fast as we can.”

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
April 21st 1880 4:25 PM
Fear Level: 2


You figure that if whoever or whatever is following you is far enough away that you all can only see the ocasional dust cloud, then it is probably the say for them and two riders breaking off the herd is not going to be noticed.

Bishop and John break off, slowing down to let drive continue on ahead. The two guide their horses down into a dried up creek bed that cuts line of sight and quickly realize that it's probably easier to take it slow and just wait for it/them to catch up.
John, Bishop
You are in a decent hiding place in the creek bed, but it will soon branch away from the path of the drive if you continue to follow it--in other words, you are in a good spot to stop and wait. I will need stealth rolls for when those following you get closer. If you choose to continue to head towards them you need to cross some open ground where you will likely be spotted.
Hope rides up and informs the hands riding swing and flank and then continues on to talk with Abby. It takes some time but Devil Eyes is adept at navigating around the herd but, before too long, word has been passed around about the situation and sidearms are loosened in their holsters just in case.

Abby smiles as Hope approaches and is genuinely happy to have someone to talk to.

“Hello Miss Hope, what brings you up here? Don’t tell me ol’ Devil Eyes is tuckered out.”

Jack and Archibald continue to ride in the drag position, taking a look over their shoulders every once and awhile to make sure the mysterious dust cloud can still be seen.


What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:40 am

Notice 7
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 1: 1
Stealth 7
OOC Comments
1d6+2 = 7: 5
1d6+2 = 6: 4
"Best thing to do when tracking somebody is to make them come to you." John spits into the river. He really wanted to play on his harmonica right at this moment, but that would likely give away their position.

"We set up there," he points to a rock over looking the river, "Prime place is over there to ambush any following person, but here they will stop to check it out."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Common Knowledge 5
Smarts 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
***

Hope smiled at Abby. “No, this horse seems damn near tireless,” she told the young woman. “Just rode up to let you know. Seems we got some followers coming up behind us. They’re a ways back. John and Bishop dropped back to check them out, but I’m just letting everyone know in case there’s trouble. You can shoot?” she asked Abby. “Just keep your eyes and ears open.”

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Archibald kept stopping to look back so often that he'd had to gallop to catch up with the others, the problem was that they had no way to communicate with Bishop and John. He found himself missing Jackson, he was sure that the young mad scientist could've produced some sort of device to allow those with the drive to speak to the pair effectively forming a rearguard.

Still, everyone else was alert and Archibald hoped that would prove to be enough.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Bishop » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Notice 3, Stealth 7
Notice 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Stealth 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Bishop settles in by the rock John had indicated, bow at the ready. She’s not sure what or who created the dustcloud but the options seem limited to a big critter or humans following them and looking for trouble. Either way her cautious nature leaves her inclined to restrain first and then find out motives. She has no desire to be eaten or ambushed, though she’d be quite happy to be the one doing the ambushing.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
April 21st 1880 4:55 PM
Fear Level: 2


Abby stiffens a little and nods. It’s hard to tell from the sunburn, but she may have paled a little.

“I can shoot Ms. Hope, and I won’t hesitate either if it comes to it. You best let the other cowboys know and I’ll make sure Javier knows, too.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like an eternity, but its really only about half an hour of waiting for John and Bishop. Eventually though, it becomes clear that there is a group following you. You count nine on horseback out front leading seven others on foot followed by another single rider. That’s seventeen total and as the wind shifts, John picks up bits of their conversation.

“....never know what hit them….”

“....gonna be tonight….”

“...wait until they see what we have in store….”


It’s obvious they are talking about the Sutter drive and you are pretty sure its some of the same BV thugs from Sutter’s Flats. As the group passes, again incredibly slow which is very strange, John and Bishop sneak a peak and see the lone rider in the back is Black Dog. Luckily the riders and the shaman did not notice you due to the setting sun behind them.
As you watch them creep ever closer to the drive, you figure out why they are moving so slow. Seems they have a small herd of their own and to your horror, you realize it consists of the walking dead!
John and Bishop
I need Fear checks. Subtract the Fear Level of 2 and add in any Grit you have.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 am

Notice 7
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4+4 = 7: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Common Knowledge 9
Smarts 1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4+4 = 8: 4
Ace 1d4+8 = 9: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
***

Hope nodded to Abby. “Get to cover, if you can,” she said. “If it’s bad trouble, maybe we can circle the wagons.” She reached out and squeezed the girl’s hand. “And pray. Prayin’ never hurts.”

Hope rode off to continue the circuit around the herd to warn the others before heading to the rear again.

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W/3
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by John Baxter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:39 am

Notice 12
1d8 = 8: 8 ace 1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 5: 5

Fear 7
Grit 2, fear level 2 - no modifier
1d6 = 6: 6 1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 3: 3

John watches as the small army of Bayou Vermillion cantered past. He knew his numbers and letters, which was one of the reasons he was able to be a good scout. The other one was a strong stomach, which stood him in good stead for the strange walking dead sauntering past. Not the first time he'd seen the like. You cross the Bayou in the rail Wars, some bad shit normally came your way. Not that a lot of people believed him when he told them that it was corpses digging railroads. You got strange looks or fired for that sort of comment.

“Not good, not good at all.” John really wanted to play on his harmonica to keep calm, but he knew if he did that, they would probably here and then they would be fleeing for their lives, “I guess we're aren't going to be able to ambush them." he said wryly to Bishop, looking over the walking dead and considering the situation.

“We need to warn the others there is a small army incoming,” he speaks to Bishop in a whisper as to keep quiet, “If I thought we could get away with it, we could try to bushwhack that damnable Indian. I bet you a month's wages that he's the one controlling those corpsified folks. Taking him down would make our lives easier."

Loads of dice rolls
OOC Comments
Survival 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild dice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Stealth 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild dice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Tracking 1d8+2 = 6: 4
Wild dice 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Knowledge occult 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild dice 1d6 = 6: 6 Ace 1d6 = 2: 2
As he finished counting the numbers, he sighed.
“However, we are completely outnumbered and outgunned. The only thing we can do right now is try to sneak past them and catch up with the drive. Well, unless there is a local Indian war party we can bring into the fight. Don't imagine they'd cotton too much to a bunch of corpses walking around." John speaks as if this sort of thing happened all the time. he thought back along their route and possible alternative routes back which would allow them to beat this group there. Speed with the corpses shouldn't be a problem, but not being shot by 17 people, that was a different thing.
OOC Comments
Are any of the corpses armed?
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 5 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Notice 11
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 3: 3
Archibald rides over to Abby and Hope, doffing his pith helmet and saying. "Miss Morton, hope everything's fine for you."

Miss Hope, wondered if we could briefly talk please?" He then said, turning to Hope. "I've noticed that you have certain...gifts, though I mean the sort of gifts that could be useful in battle. I was wondering whether there was some sort of protection that you could conjure up?"
Main Account: stormwell

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”