Once More Into The Dust

Post Reply
User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 10th 1880 11:10 AM
Fear Level: 2


At a small watering hole that’s only about two steps from a mud pit, Sutter warns there isn’t likely to be much water for the next week or two. He has the trail cook fill his water barrels, but even so, there isn’t enough water for full rations for the crew.

Over the next three days, the reduced water rations mean you can suffer from dehydration
Thirst
Make a Vigor roll to resist the effects of thirst. Any who fail suffer a Fatigue level. Due to the severe conditions, even a successful Survival roll does not completely offset this effect, as any efforts amount to little more than collecting morning dew. Instead, success provides a +2 to one character’s Vigor roll (or all of you on a raise).
On the third day, the herd arrives at the first watering hole on the route. The water in question is found in a small well at an abandoned homestead and barn located in a stretch of God-forsaken wilderness. Fortunately, this keeps the cattle and horses from fouling it by wading into the source, but it also makes getting sufficient water from the well for the entire herd and crew a time-consuming task. Sutton details the crew to shifts lifting the water out of the well in buckets. The water level is approximately 50 feet below the surface, so this quickly becomes an arduous job and takes the better part of a day to accomplish. When you are not on shift hauling the bucket up, you alternate between riding the fringe of the herd and free time to do as you will.

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Notice 5
Notice 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Thirst 4
Vigor 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
As the terrain increasingly gave way to desert, Archibald was reminded of the harsh African summer and yearned more for dear old England. Regardless he was still thankful for his time in Africa as his experiences there helped him to manage his water rations with care. He suspected that he wasn't going to be the only one glad to leave the desert behind as they journeyed northwards. As ever, he keep a log of their progress in his journal and had built up a small collection of letters to be posted at the first decent town they found.

After doing his turn drawing water from the well, the engineer in him got busy with figuring out how to make the task easier and less time consuming. The idea he hit upon was simple; tie the rope from the well to one of the horses and use the animal to do the hard work. He offered this suggestion to the ranch hands, explaining the principle of it and his hopes that it would help with their current water problems. He then went to find a spot to do some more work on his journal, but ran into one of his fellow party members.

"Ah, Miss Hope." He said, doffing his pith helmet. "Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to ask you something please?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:40 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Thirst
Vigor 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Ok, I am not seeing any advantage to this ride. Heat, Dirt, lack of water, long hours. Yes, I definately need to find a nice sized town and set up shop. I have been cleaning guns every day on this ride due to the amount of dust. I could be making a fortune if I was in a shop, instead, I am doing this for free. Where did I go wrong...oh yeah, Matilda. Why did I let things progress so far? Oh, yeah, her business only husband and her lonely neglected wife attitude. That was a fun couple months, oh well, guess this is my punishment.

Jack jumps at the opprotunity to lug up the water. He figures if he can work the well, ride the line, he will then have an opprotunity to sit back and relax. After his work shifts, Jack sits down and realizes he is almost out of tobacco for his pipe, this could get bad.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:32 pm

notice
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 2: 2

Thirst
1d8 = 2: 2
1d6 = 1: 1 +2=4


Survival
1d6+2 = 4: 2
1d6+2 = 5: 3

Working hard, John almost forgot to drink enough water, until he was on his second rota of running a route around the cattle.

If my head wasn't attached. Finding that his canteen wasn't as full as he needed it to be, he spent a few minutes hunting around for a cactus. Taking his bowie knife, he sliced open part of the cactus and drained some of the water into his canteen.

That should keep me going for a while.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 am

Vigor 4
Vigor 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope sagged in the saddle a bit, wishing for water. She wasn’t doing too bad, though, and soon enough they reached the watering hole, though it was going to be a lot of work to get the water up for all these cattle, and they were set into shifts.

Hope took her turn at pulling, though some of the trail hands felt a lady like her shouldn’t have to do such work, and she was more than happy to let a kindly hand take her shift. She wandered off to try and find some shade -- after filling her own canteen first, of course.

With her hat off, Hope leaned in what little shade was provided by a scraggly tree, wiping her sleeve across her forehead. Another shadow fell across her and she looked up to see Archibald standing over her.

"Ah, Miss Hope," Archibald said, doffing his pith helmet. "Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to ask you something please?"

“I guess that depends on what you are wanting to ask,” Hope said with a bit of a mischievous grin. “But please, go on.” She patted the hard-packed dirt next to her. “Join me and ask your questions.”
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Notice 10
Notice 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 2: 2
"Thank you Miss Hope." Archibald smiled before sitting down the ground, though keeping a respectable distance. "There is a matter that I am hoping that you can help me with."

"Miss Morton, a lovely and very friendly girl is she not?" Said Archibald, nodding in Abby's direction. "Though I am not certain where I stand with her."

"I must confess that I do not know the fairer sex all that well and I do not wish to go forward on false pretences. I was wondering whether you'd be so kind and speak to her to gauge her interest please Miss Hope."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Bishop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Vigor 7
Vigor 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Bishop is able to avoid dehydration, though just being around all the gritty dust the cattle and horses kick up is enough to make anyone’s throat scratchy and dry. This stretch of the drive is boring so far but she’s grateful for a break from fighting for the moment. Hopefully we’ll outpace any folks from Bayou Vermillion still out for our blood.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope blinked and looked over at Archibald. “Me?” she asked. Most women didn’t tolerate Hope -- well, if they knew what she had been. Hope guessed Abby didn’t, so there was some possibility of friendship -- with her and Bishop. Archibald obviously didn’t know about Hope’s former career. No one did out here, really.

“I guess I could try, Mr. Ellsworth,” Hope said. “She is lovely and friendly, if a bit green. Though I am fairly green out here myself,” Hope had to admit with a chuckle.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 am

Notice 6
Notice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4
"Thank you Miss Hope." Replied Archibald, then agreed with Hope's sentiment. "I believe most of use are out of their element here."

"Though if you'll excuse me, something seems damn odd about this place." Archibald, getting up to walk round the homestead in order to find what was bothering him about the place.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 am

Jack, riding his last shift around the herd for the day, sees John up ahead. He figures this would be a good time to talk so rides up to him.

"John, mind if I ask you a few questions? First though, I wish to apologize for not believing your report of the walking dead, I just couldn't grasp my mind around the fact that they existed.

First question I have is what else lies out here in the far west? You seem to have a competent knowledge of the area and the creatures that dwell here.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:30 pm

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope got up with Archibald and replaced her hat atop her red braids.

“Let’s not be going off by our lonesome,” she warned him. Then she paused. “Unless you are out to use the privy.” She paused. “If you are, let me know and I won’t go with,” she said with a chuckle.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Jack wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 am
Jack, riding his last shift around the herd for the day, sees John up ahead. He figures this would be a good time to talk so rides up to him.

"John, mind if I ask you a few questions? First though, I wish to apologize for not believing your report of the walking dead, I just couldn't grasp my mind around the fact that they existed.

First question I have is what else lies out here in the far west? You seem to have a competent knowledge of the area and the creatures that dwell here.
John finishes emptying the water from the cactus into his canteen as Jack approaches.

"Not the first, probably won't be the last," John shrugs, who was used to the response, "there's a lot of weird things out there. I didn't believe my father after he returned from Gettysburg. Thought he was making up tall tales or just plain crazy. Really should have listened to him."

As for what else is out there? This isn't territory I've actually worked before. When we hit Denver, I'll know the area, so anything peculiar to round here, I don't really know.

Some I've seen, a lot I've heard about. Some of it is very human. Take that Injun that's been plaguing us. He can pull off more than one little trick. The other night he was there, but some of the time, he didn't look like you or me."


John wasn't sure what Jack could handle; the dead walking was one thing; a man turning into a bird was something else. He offers Jack a drink from the canteen.

"You missed the giant spiders back during the roundup and then there is the matter of our companions. What is your handle on what the ladies can do?"
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
It was a moment or two before Archibald replied. "Ah...no, nothing like that. Something seems most decisively odd about this place and I wish to ascertain what it is."

"Though given the forces that have already been arrayed against us, it might be prudent not to venture anywhere alone." Continued Archibald. "Likewise, it might be worthwhile informing Miss Bishop and Mr Baxter in case we find something that is...disagreeable."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 pm

"Well, I know Hope can do something to prevent water from hitting her during the rain and probably even more. Sort of like those sleight of hand tricks charlatans use to pull in Dodge. Difference this time is it isn't sleight of hand. I was thinking, and with what we encountered is the norm out here, maybe I could modify a weapon or two to be much more effective. What can you tell me about the walking dead? Do you know what harms them more or what they are resistance they may have?

Jack stood there for a moment looking at the ground before proceeding.
"I'm not much of a gunfighter. Oh, I know how to break a weapon down, clean it and reassemble it in the blink of an eye but, I'm not much on shooting people or things. Mostly that's why I carry the weapons I do. Nice to be able to stop trouble before it happens. Now, I'm not saying I'll back out of a fight or I won't have any of our backs but, I just want ot know as much as possible so I am an asset and not a liability.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 am

Notice 10
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 10: 4
In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope pulled a bit of a face at the mention of John Baxter. “I suppose you are right,” she had to admit. “I haven’t noticed anything off, but then I haven’t been paying much attention,” she admitted. She looked around and studied the old, abandoned homestead. “Maybe there’s coyotes nesting here or something.”
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Bishop » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Notice 9
Notice 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 3: 3
Bishop joins Hope and Archibald in their searching once she notices what they’re doing.
”You two seem to be on edge as well. What is going on? I can’t see anything amiss but my teeth are on edge and I’ve got hairs standing up.”
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope looked over at Bishop as the other woman joined her and Archibald. “I don’t know. Archie has a feeling,” Hope said. “I just didn’t want him wandering off alone. Figure it can’t hurt to have a look around this place, make sure there isn’t something that decided to make this place home.”
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 am

Jack wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 pm
"Well, I know Hope can do something to prevent water from hitting her during the rain and probably even more. Sort of like those sleight of hand tricks charlatans use to pull in Dodge. Difference this time is it isn't sleight of hand. I was thinking, and with what we encountered is the norm out here, maybe I could modify a weapon or two to be much more effective. What can you tell me about the walking dead? Do you know what harms them more or what they are resistance they may have?

Jack stood there for a moment looking at the ground before proceeding.
"I'm not much of a gunfighter. Oh, I know how to break a weapon down, clean it and reassemble it in the blink of an eye but, I'm not much on shooting people or things. Mostly that's why I carry the weapons I do. Nice to be able to stop trouble before it happens. Now, I'm not saying I'll back out of a fight or I won't have any of our backs but, I just want ot know as much as possible so I am an asset and not a liability.

John raises an eyebrow

"Judging by the other night, I think you do yourself a disservice," John tells the gunsmith, "though if you define yourself against those gunfighters you read about in the dime books, then none of us really are. Even my foray into that was by more luck than skill." John's schoolmarm mother filtered through into his speech.

"You do right wanting to know more. How much you want to know depends on deep into the wilderness you want to go. I don't hold to know everything; far too many weird things in the west and where they came from eludes me for now.

"As for those walking dead, they may move sorta like a human, but they aren't any longer. A shot to the heart will have no more effect than shooting them in the stomach, they don't bleed out and will drag themselves along even if they've lost their legs. Won't even notice they lost an arm.

knowledge occult 8
OOC Comments
1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 2: 2
wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Away from my books when I write this, so will check later
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 10th 1880 3:10 PM
Fear Level: 2


While it is a long and tiresome day, at the end of it all the animals are able to slake their thirsts adequately. The Lazy S cowboys and you all can also drink their your fill and refill their canteens. The bad news is it’s who knows how long until the next water…

While the other cowhands take no interest in the abandoned homestead, Archibald, Bishop, and Hope do. There is indeed something strange is afoot at the isolated farm. The door is barred from the inside and all the windows are shuttered. There is no response to knocks or yelling. Forcing the door is beyond the three’s ability, but a kick from Devil Eyes breaks it down and gets John and jack’s attention as well.

The interior and contents of the small two-room house seem virtually untouched. Several items of sentimental value and some monetary worth remain, including a small box of jewelry (worth a total of $50 if sold), a loaded and unfired Evans Old Model Sporter rifle, and $32 in Confederate bills. The barn, though filled with the usual tools and accoutrements of a small farm, is empty of any animals and all the stalls are closed and latched. The inside of the house is covered by a layer of dust and, prior to your entry, unmarred by any tracks. More puzzlingly, there are two plates set on a small table in the main room—complete with the desiccated remains of a meal long uneaten. You’d have to assess further but it looks like the house has sat undisturbed for months. There is no sign of the inhabitants or what became of them.

Sutter, he is mildly puzzled but not overly concerned when you inform him. After all, he says, the farm is days from any other civilization and well into Comanche territory. But you see nothing that would indicate the farmstead was raided by Indians; in fact, every bit of evidence seems to indicate no one has been to the farm since its inhabitants left, but Sutter remains unconcerned. He does order his crew to salvage what tools and supplies they can from the barn.

After that, he tells everyone to get some chow and rest up. He has decided to travel at night to reduce the effect of thirst on the animals. However, the additional distance offsets the gains for the trail hands, as water rations have to be further reduced.
Thirst
Vigor rolls needed as before. Survival can provide a bonus as well
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Jack turns suddenly at the sound of the crashing door. Seeing those crash the front door of the house in, Jack starts walking straight to the door curious as to why they broke it open.
Walking up to the door, Jack looks in and sees the others looking around and starts to look himself. Looking on the left wall, Jack sees a dusty Evans Sporter Rifle. He walks over, takes it down and examines the rifle completely.
OOC Comments
Jack will look the rifle over for condition, if it has been used, if it is loaded, value. Also check for ammunition.
Vigor
Vigor 1d8+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:44 am

Notice 7
1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 4: 4

As he and jack hear the splintering of wood, he joined in the investigation.

He searches the error for sign of what might have happen to the residents, paying particularly close attention for any small thin trails in the dust.


Haven't used my bonus from survival on my vigour roll, so if anybody needs the bonus, feel free to take it.
OOC Comments
tracking 5
1d8+2 = 5: 3
1d6+2 = 5: 3

survival 4
1d6+2 = 4: 2
1d6+2 = 4: 2

Vigour 7
1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 2: 2
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
"By jove!" Cried Archibald once the penny dropped and he realised what was bothering him about the homestead; the fact that it might have not been as abandoned as what was first thought.

After gaining entry to the house via Devil Eyes' help, Archibald drew his sword and insisted he went in before Hope and Bishop. Seeing no abomination ready to attack them, Archibald sheathed his sword and glanced round at the interior of the house. "Most peculiar...almost like the Mary Celeste."

Thirst 9
Vigor 1d6 = 6: 6
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Vigor Explodes 1d6 = 3: 3
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:06 am

Survival 3
Survival 1d4-2 = 2: 4
Wild 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Vigor 8
Vigor 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 7: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 8: 2
In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

“Good boy,” Hope encouraged Devil Eyes, pulling out a bit of carrot she kept for him.

Once they get into the house and poke around, the mystery of the farmstead grows even deeper. “Where did they go?” Hope wondered. “There isn’t anything disturbed.” She admired the jewelry they found, reminded of the nice pieces she used to wear that she had to sell to pay off her debt to her brothel to get free to leave. They took the rifle and Confederate notes as well, as it didn’t look like anyone needed them. She stuffed the notes in with the jewelry, telling herself it wasn’t stealing. Who knew if they were even alive? She left a note, just in case, however.

“What’s the Mary Celeste?” Hope asked Archibald curiously.

They continued on through the desert, this time at night. It was a little better, but it was taking longer. Hope managed to tame her thirst, however, easier without the sun beating on her.
To Do
Have the talk with Abby.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle
$32 Confederate
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:43 am

Rolls carried

"It was a ship found deserted with no clues as to what happened to its crew." Archibald answered. "It was widely reported on in the newsheets back in dear old England....though the penny dreadfuls also picked up the story."

"If I recall there were many theories brought forward ranging from foul play through to piracy and supposedly a sea monster, though it remains a mystery. I suspect that it will be true of this little homestead and so the best we can do is try to find some clue of whom the occupiers were, then inform the authorities when we get the chance to do so."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:40 am

rolls carried

"And here I thought Mary Celeste was a former love of the good captain." Its not entirely clear whether John is being entirely forthright with that comment or just winding up Archibald.

"However, considering the things you are starting to see, I wouldn't rule out that sea monster."

As he continues looking about the farm, he plays a little ditty on his harmonica.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 10th 1880 4:10 PM
Fear Level: 2


As you all search about the homestead, things get even more peculiar. The Evan’s sportert that Jack picks up is indeed loaded, unfired, and oiled….without a speck of dust.

Hope examines the jewelry and gets the sudden feeling of loss. Not with regards to taking the jewelry but as if there wasn’t a need to wear it anymore. The feeling passes quickly and is replaced by one of content.

Bishop still in the doorway hears the whinney of horses behind her. Turning to make sure Devil Eyes isn’t going to bite her..as he will tend to do to anyone but Hope...she finds he has gone back with the other horses ...well over 75 yards away.

John confirms that it has been well over six months since the place had been occupied. Perplexed he pulls out his harmonica and begins to play. Almost immediately he hears Hope humming along behind him. Smiling to himself and thinking things might be getting better he turns to find that she is in the bedroom…..

Archibald, sword drawn, paces about the kitchen. Was that sizzling pork fat he smelled? Javier had served beans and beef...again...and the Englishmen had not had a proper rasher of bacon in who knows how long.

All of your heads spin as you try and figure out what is going on. All of a sudden there is a man sitting at the table. One moment there was no one and now there he sits. Looking just as perplexed as you. He is well dressed and clean...which is odd considering the amount of dust in this part of the country.

Jeff
You make your way west with a mind to see California. So far it has been an adventure and yet again your gut tells you it’s time to leave a small town outside of Fort Smith Arkansas. You worked your way into a poker game with a judge and a lawyer extorting the local businesses and took them for every penny they stole and then some. Most of it you anonymously gave back to those cheated, but you kept some for yourself as well.

Luckily you skipped town before anyone was the wiser. But that is where your luck ended as the sky opens up and it begins to rain. It’s coming down in sheets and visibility is not much farther than your reach. Up ahead, however, is what appears to be a wagon that has gone off the road. A figure is desperately trying to get the back right wheel properly up on the road. As you approach to try and help, the figure whips around and a woman dressed in work clothes drenched to the bone points an Evan’s Sporter at your nose.

“Who are you and what do you want? I’m not afraid to give you an extra hole in that head of yours!”

Throwing your hands up and professing you are just trying to help. The woman lowers the rifle and between the two of you, you manage to get the wagon back on the road. The woman insists you come to her ranch house and get out of this weather. While you initially decline, the thought of getting dry is appealing.

Although the rain does not let up, within a quarter of an hour you come upon the homestead. Even in the rain, you can tell it has seen better days. You and the woman quickly get inside and she sets about stoking a fire. She brings you some clothes and from a back room you hear a baby cry.

“Momma’s comin’, Abigail. Those clothes were my husband’s. He went missin’ a few months ago. Sheriff says he run off with some painted whore, but I know my Maynard. Somethin’ out… there...oh..enough of my problems. You get out of those wet clothes while I go put Abigail back to bed.”

After a few minutes the woman returns, also in dry clothes, and you can tell that she was once beautiful but the years and settler life have not been kind. She wipes down the Evan’s lovingly and then sets to making some biscuits and bacon. It’s obvious the woman does not have much but she insists that you at least deserve a hot meal for your trouble.

The food is delicious but the woman sits across from you and just smiles sadly. It’s almost uncomfortable and you start to ask what is wrong but she cuts you off.

“I’ll be fine, don’t you worry. I think my brother William could use a man like you…”

You then find yourself in a dusty old homestead. The food in front of you is rotten and covered in dust. Five very capable individuals are staring at you with a look of bewilderment on their faces
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am

Survival/Thirst
Survival 1d4 = 2: 2 -2
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2 -2

Vigor 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Notice
Notice 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
"Who's .." Jeff starts to respond, then looks up, startled. He looks at each of you quickly, one hand dropping to his hip. "Who are you folk, and where did you come from?" his town is more bewildered than angry. "There was a women, and a babe..."

semi-OOC: Jeff is a young man in his early 20s with the tanned skin and rough hands of a man who is no stranger to hard work. He clothing looks like the sort of homespun you'd find on a farmer or ranch hand, but his gun belt with cut-down holster, balanced with a Bowie knife on his left hip, belies that peaceful first impression. Leaning on the wall behind him is a Winchester which looks brand new, not a scratch on it.
question for the Marshal
Did I ever get her name?
status
PP10
Chips: WWR
Wounds:0
Fatigue:0

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
How...odd Archibald mused to himself as he noticed the smell, but couldn't find any source for it. When the man suddenly appeared at the table, Archibald let out a curse least expected from the normally well-mannered Englishman. When he'd recovered his wits, he replied. "I would ask the same of you sir."

"We'd came across this homstead, seemingly deserted, and you just appeared...like magic." Continued Archibald. "So pray tell my good man, what sort of conveyance brought you here and why?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Notice 4
OOC Comments
1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 2: 2
"Its strange," John mused, as he ran his hand gently over the dust, feeling for patterns without disturbing too much that might tell him something, "nothing has been here in six months judging by the dust and the lack of anything being disturbed. its odd that the rifle is still there. No sign of anything taking....
Muskrat Jack wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 am
John confirms that it has been well over six months since the place had been occupied. Perplexed he pulls out his harmonica and begins to play. Almost immediately he hears Hope humming along behind him. Smiling to himself and thinking things might be getting better he turns to find that she is in the bedroom…..
What the ... but I could hear you right...
Muskrat Jack wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 am
All of your heads spin as you try and figure out what is going on. All of a sudden there is a man sitting at the table. One moment there was no one and now there he sits. Looking just as perplexed as you. He is well dressed and clean...which is odd considering the amount of dust in this part of the country.
Jeff Milton wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am
"Who's .." Jeff starts to respond, then looks up, startled. He looks at each of you quickly, one hand dropping to his hip. "Who are you folk, and where did you come from?" his town is more bewildered than angry. "There was a women, and a babe..."
John had left his rifle with his horse so when Jeff appears, his hand drops to his pistol.

"What do you mean where did we come from?" John eyes up the new arrival, "We've been here hours. Surely the herd of cattle outside was a bit of a giveaway."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Jeff frowned. "Cattle? Weren't no cattle when I rode up. Course with all the rain couldn't see if they was in a distant field." he answers John.

To Archibald, he replies, "I don't know about no con-veyance, but I rode m'horse" He glanced out the door, then back at Archibald. "It was a helluva storm last night, and I stopped t'help a lady with her wagon. She invited me back here, give me some dry clothes and some dinner." And how are you all so dry? "And suddenly she was gone and you folk were here."

Jeff rises and picks up his rifle. "I need to make sure my horse didn't wander off, excuse me" His eyes fall on Hope and stops, blushes, nods, and moves to the door and stops. "It don' make no sense. It was pouring rain not five minutes ago.". He glances back on the rotten food at the table. "And that was the finests biscuits and bacon I'd had in a while..." He shakes his head and steps out, looking for his horse.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:31 pm

roll carried

"Rain, we should be so lucky," John snorted, but at the same time intrigued. There was something strange going on here

"If you are looking for your horse, there was no such animal here when we arrived."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Jeff kicks the dry dust in disgust. "Well don't that beat all. Looks like I'm ridin' shanks mare. 'Less you boys are hirin'?" he asks hopefully. "I've worked cattle a time or two, no expert, but... and you say there was no women, or babe here when you arrived? Or me for that matter? I wasn't, I don't know, sleeping at the table or some foolishness like that?"

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 am

Interesting, not a speck of dust. How exactly is that possbile?

Jack turns as he suddenly hears a strange voice talking. Where did he come from? Jack listens, then when he goes out to check on his horse...

"I don't know about the rest of you but, John, this seems like one of those things you said happens out here. I think it best we leave."

Jack walks out (still carrying the rifle) and stops by Jeff

"If you don't mind me asking, what is the date?
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 am

Jeff Milton wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:05 pm
Jeff kicks the dry dust in disgust. "Well don't that beat all. Looks like I'm ridin' shanks mare. 'Less you boys are hirin'?" he asks hopefully. "I've worked cattle a time or two, no expert, but... and you say there was no women, or babe here when you arrived? Or me for that matter? I wasn't, I don't know, sleeping at the table or some foolishness like that?"

"Not my drive, so you'd have to speak to Mr Sutter about hiring on,"
John shrugs, still a little wary after Jeff's sudden appearance, "not unless you've been sleeping here for the past six months and you don't look even a mite dusty."
Jack wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 am
"I don't know about the rest of you but, John, this seems like one of those things you said happens out here. I think it best we leave."
"I know I said strange things happen out, but people appearing out of thin air is strange even for what I've seen. John keeps an eye on Jeff, "might be best to keep a close eye on him just in case."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:09 am

John Baxter wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 am

"Not my drive, so you'd have to speak to Mr Sutter about hiring on,"
John shrugs, still a little wary after Jeff's sudden appearance, "not unless you've been sleeping here for the past six months and you don't look even a mite dusty."
"So I wasn't at the table when you came in? I didn't see you come in, you were just ... there." Jeff shakes his head. "I suppose I'd best be seeing your Mr. Sutter. Could you kindly lead me to him?"
Jack wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 am

"If you don't mind me asking, what is the date?
Jeff responds with the date."Is that not right?" when Jack confirms (I assume you do), he shakes his head. "Well, that's a relief"

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:04 pm

"I say my dear fellow." Archibald addresses Jeff. "I do not know whence you came, but where I hail from it is considered polite to properly introduce oneself."

"So my good man, could you please explain who you are?"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Jeff flushes slightly. "My appologies. My mother raised me better than that. Jeff Milton, late of Round Top, Texas. More recently, Fort Smith."

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 pm

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth." Replied Archibald. "Of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers."

"Along with these fellows, and ladies, I have been travelling with a cattle drive with the intent of reaching Canada after touring the Confederacy."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:10 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

“Sounds like a frightening story,” Hope commented. She looked around the homestead. “A bit like this place now,” she admitted, suddenly glad they weren’t staying the night. Though a night drive would be difficult and just as dangerous, even if it did get them out of the heat.

“I’ll look through the personal belonging again, see what I can find about the family that lived here.”

Hope handled the jewelry again, feeling a sudden spike of sadness and loss, a lack of need for the jewelry anymore. She frowned, considering, as the feeling soothed away to contentment.

And then a stranger’s voice spoke and Hope stepped out of the bedroom and looked with surprise on a man sitting at the table.

He seemed just as surprised as his hand went to the gun at his hip. Hope tensed, reaching for her own sidearm. She held out her other hand. “Hold on!”

He seemed to calm slightly, and Hope flashed him a smile when he looked at her. That caused him to blush, and the smile turned into a bit of a smirk as she eased her hand away from her Colt.

Hope didn’t know what to make of all this, but she figured being friendly wouldn’t make the situation worse. “Hope,” she introduced herself, offering her hand to Jeff. “We left shorthanded, so I’m sure Mr. Sutter wouldn’t mind the extra help. Certainly will make our lives easier.” She smiled again, canting a hip just so. “We got plenty of horses if you need one. Just watch out for Devil Eyes. He’s liable to bite you. You can’t miss him. He’s the biggest horse, with red eyes.”
To Do
Have the talk with Abby.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Jeff tips his hat at the armed beauty. "Ma'am, if you are not otherwise engaged, could you introduce me to your Mr. Sutter? You can make sure I avoid your devil-horse"

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 am

Jack walks up to John as Hope takes Jeff to see MR. Sutter.

"John, maybe you know more or maybe I should ask Hope but, shouldn't we keep a very close eye on this Jeff person? I mean he just appears out of nowhere and is fully ready to join us. Could this be a trick by that Indian Medicine Man? He did bring walking dead what's there to stop him from making a walking living?

Jack thinks about that last statement. Walking Living? Really Jack, could you have said anything else more embarrassing?
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope nodded. “Of course. Right this way. We’re camped over around the well while the cattle water.” She moved to the door. “Don’t forget your rifle.”

To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am

OOC: rifle's been in my hand since I stepped out of the cabin.

Jeff nods his thanks and follows hope, looking around and hoping to spy out his horse. Somewhat awkwardly, he strikes up a conversation. "So, ma'am, that there feren fella's headin' for Canada. I had the notion of heading out to the Great Maze. You a ah, rancher by trade or are you just on the way somewheres?" As he walks he checks his rife to make sure that it was in working order, them tasty biscuits were foul, don't need that happening to my guns, he things to himself. Once satisfied that the rifle's firing mechanism isn't gummed up, Jeff tucks it under his arm and checks his pistol.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:06 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 10th 1880 5:03 PM
Fear Level: 2


The homesteads return to eerie silence begins to unnerve everyone so the thought of going to see Sutter and getting out of there is welcomed by all.

Sutter is talking Javier about the best way to ration water for the next part of the journey. The late afternoon sun is hot and the rest of the hands are either lazing about in what little shade they can find, getting as much rest as they can before dark when Sutter will roust them to get moving again.

At Hope’s introduction, Sutter is silent for a minute looking Jeff up and down. The look on his face is one of obvious suspicion.

“You sure he ain’t one of Bayou Vermillion’s men we run off come crawlin’ back cause he can’t survive out here? Don’t look like one...but….well..we did plan for one more on this drive, though I ‘spect that plan ain’t gonna matter much in this early season heat. Well Miss Hope, if you all gonna vouch for him, I guess he’s hired. It ain’t in me to leave a man to die out here, anyway. But if you cross me or mine, son, I will leave you cut you down and leave you lyin’ in this damned dust.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Sutter’s blessing, Hope and Jeff and whoever wants to go with them make their way over to Abby and the horses. Abby is brushing down one of them when you get there and cheerily greets you all. Her brow furrows at the appearance of Jeff and she becomes a little guarded.

“Hey Miss Hope, come to check on Devil Eyes? I’m just brushin’ down these horses that those ambushers left. Stangest thing, I coulda swore there were four horses we picked up from those evil men, but now there is five. This one ain’t been treated poorly like the others either. Mud...wet mud...all up his legs too…..

“Oh...hello...sir….I...umm...I’m Abby Morton. I take care of the horse for uncle...I mean, Mr. Sutter.”

Jeff
Despite the afternoon heat, a chill goes through you. At first you are elated as the horse the girl is brushing is yours. As you begin to wonder how in God’s creation it got here, you get a good look at the girl. She is the spitting image of the woman from last night maybe twenty years younger.
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 am

notice
1d8 = 2: 2
1d6 = 4: 4
Jack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 am
Jack walks up to John as Hope takes Jeff to see MR. Sutter.

"John, maybe you know more or maybe I should ask Hope but, shouldn't we keep a very close eye on this Jeff person? I mean he just appears out of nowhere and is fully ready to join us. Could this be a trick by that Indian Medicine Man? He did bring walking dead what's there to stop him from making a walking living?
John looks at Jack and raises his right eyebrow.

"Do you see any of us leaving him alone? he asks the gunsmith, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer, until we decide which one he is. That Indian can certainly shapechange, but considering this individual appeared out of nowhere, I think this might be something else even stranger."

"And seriously, the best way to refer to the walking dead is zombie. Its shorter, punchier and less inclined to make what you say sound weird."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Bishop » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:29 pm

The sudden appearance of Jeff unsettles Bishop, especially given the general creepiness of the house and her inexperience with time traveling, which seems to be involved. She holds her peace though, figuring if the crew can accept her and her magic than she owes nothing less to the newest member of their drive. Not to mention, he seems just as shaken and confused about the situation as anyone else.
”Are you alright? She asks Abby when she sees her reaction to Jeff.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Muskrat Jack wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:06 am

“Hey Miss Hope, come to check on Devil Eyes? I’m just brushin’ down these horses that those ambushers left. Stangest thing, I coulda swore there were four horses we picked up from those evil men, but now there is five. This one ain’t been treated poorly like the others either. Mud...wet mud...all up his legs too…..

“Oh...hello...sir….I...umm...I’m Abby Morton. I take care of the horse for uncle...I mean, Mr. Sutter.”
Jeff looks a bit startled when he first sees Abby, but tips his hat polietly to her. "I'm fairly sure that'uns, mine, ma'am. The one with the mud I mean. I ah, ran into some mud on the way here. If you'll allow me...?" Unless Abby objects, he'll check the horse, it's brand, and nod. "Yep, that my paint all right. I thank you kindly for taken care of him, not sure how he got away." Jeff set's down his saddle and pulls a brush out of his saddle bags and starts cleaning the mud off.

"Ma'am, pardon me for askin', but did you or your kin evern get around Rock Creek way? You look mighty familiar"

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope looked over at Jeff and shook her head, her red braids moving. “Not a rancher,” she said. “Signed on for some cash and the safety of comp’ny in travel. Ain’t decided where the good Lord’s leadin’ me yet,” she said, touching the cross that hung above the nice cleavage revealed by the open collar of her work shirt, more skin than a normal woman showed, though she was dressed like a typical cow hand.

To Sutter’s suspicions, Hope said, “I will keep an eye on him.” She glanced at Jeff with a look that told him not to give her a reason to regret that. It was better than being left out here in the desert on his own.

They headed over to Abby to get Jeff a horse, and she mentioned there was an extra.

“Extra horse?” Hope said warily. “And wet mud? In the desert?” She went over to Devil Eyes. “What do you think, boy?”

But the horse seemed to belong to the new man Jeff, so Hope let her wariness relax slightly as he struck up a conversation with Abby. Hope tried to get a read on the two, on the girl. She needed to talk to her about Archibald yet, like she promised. Maybe tonight. The women slept separate from the men, to not cause trouble, and to give them a bit more privacy.
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:21 am

After stowing the rifle on his horse and talking with John, Jack made his way over to Hope.

"Pardon me Hope, I was hoping I could ask you a few questions. I was talking with John and he explained a few things for me but, I still have a couple questions. I was mostly asking John about the walking dead and my idea to make a weapon to counter those creatures. Then I asked about other things out here. He explained some but, I noticed your abilities and was hoping you could help fill in the many blanks I have or at least try."
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Notice 3
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Archibald agreed with the idea of keeping a close eye on the newest addition to the party, even commented. "Even I can't deny the manner of the fellow's arrival was highly unusual...almost like something out of a Jules Verne novel."

"We'll have to organise our watch details with care."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hopes attention was pulled by Jack as he approached her. She listened to him and blushed slightly. So he’d noticed. She usually tried to be a bit more...discrete. Maybe she was slipping.

“Well, I’m willing to try and help, Mr. Wagner,” Hope said. “But I would wager John knows far more about such things.”
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 am

"Miss Hope, I don't mean to sound rude but, I have noticed a lot about you. I'm sorry for stating the obvious but, you are a very attractive and dangerous woman and when I was right next to you with that Umbrella well, it wasn't hard to figure it out after our run in with the walking dead.
I would really like to make a weapon to help combat those dead or any dead things so, any information would be of great help.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:02 am

In a Desert/Watering hole
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope blushed a bit. Not at the attractive part -- plenty of men told her that -- but at being caught out with her powers. “I know my way around a gun, yes,” she admitted. “I was shooting the Bayou boys though, not at those undead. But…” She thought for a moment. “I noticed they were pretty slow. Also shooting them in the head seemed particularly effective. And they seemed to need someone to lead them. When that Injun disappeared, they weren’t as...coordinated, I guess? They didn’t seem to fear that fire, either. Just sort of walked right through it, even if it burned them. They didn’t seem particularly bright. Honestly, I think the best weapon might just be the biggest gun you can bring to the fight.”
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:36 am

Jack watches Hope blush a bit and what she has to say.

Sorry if I embarrassed you a bit, that wasn't my intention. Maybe I didn't phrase my question the proper way. Do you know of any... He pauses for a moment looking for the correct word/words. for lack of a better word due to my limited knowledge in this area, power that could be attached to a weapon to help? I could make a very large weapon or even modify one but, the ability to make it much more effective is where I am stuck. If you happen to think of something please let me know.

Jack tips his hat and walks off thinking of possibly a way to upgrade his shotguns.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 14th 1880 5:53 AM
Fear Level: 2


Abby’s sunburnt skin goes a few shades paler.

“I think I was born there. My Ma got swept away in a flood when I was just a babe and Uncle Bill took me in and raised me. Not sure how you would have known that, mister, but I’ll leave you to your horse now. Uhh...welcome to the drive.”

Abby hurries away obviously shaken.

Jeff doesn’t have too much time with his horse before he is ‘recruited’ for kitchen duty. It’s miserable work since Javier hasn’t had much water to work with up until now. Chiseling stone off of a mountain would be easier than getting the dried food off the plates, but since you have the water here at the homestead it’s time to make the most of it and get all the cookware clean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As promised Sutter decides to travel at night to reduce the effect of thirst on the animals. however, the additional distance offsets the gains for everyone, as water rations remain in effect. After four more nights of travel, you reaches the headwaters of a tributary of the Colorado River. The lead Longhorns smell the water long before the crew can see it and the cows become restless.

Once again you all find yourself in a situation where the cattle need to be controlled or they will injure and maybe kill themselves pushing towards the water.
What you need to do
Step 1: Give me a Notice check that covers the 4 days of travel. We’ll say this is the average of those few days. Narrate as appropriate the ride during the night.
Step 2: Vigor roll for thirst the day the cattle smell the water. As usual, a successful Survival roll can provide a +2. Failure means you are fatigued when its time to control the cattle.
Step 3: Ride check to contain the cattle---OR a Smarts/appropriate knowledge check at -2. Succeed at the latter and come up with a clever idea, give yourself a Benny. Get a raise and you also might just get promoted out of riding Drag.

Half of you need to succeed or we are looking at another stampede
What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Thirst 5
Survival 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 4: 4
Survival Total: 10

Vigor 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Archibald could see the logic of travelling during the night and then resting up during the heat of the day, particularly as they were making good progress. His time in the army had put him in good stead for it, though he would be glad when water wasn't a problem and they didn't have to be on such short rations. On the fourth day he noticed some of the herd starting to get restless with some of the leading cattle quickening their pace, worried that their might be a stampede about to happen Archibald rode to try and help keep the herd under control.

Riding 7
Riding 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5

Spending RED BENNY 1d6 = 2: 2
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am

Notice = 9
Notice
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 6: 6
explody
1d6 = 3: 3
Vigor = 4
Survival
1d4-2 = 0: 2
1d6-2 = 2: 4
Vigor
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 1: 1
Smarts-2 = 9
Smarts
1d8-2 = -1: 1
1d6-2 = 4: 6
explody
1d6 = 5: 5

Jeff doesn't mind washing up, it almost reminds him of doing it when he was just a yonker. And as a homesteader, he was no stranger to hard work. He'd been drifting the west long enough to know the new guy would get scut work. Still, after washing up, riding drag seemed almost a promotion.

When the herd starts getting antsy, Jeff frowns, and stands up his saddle, trying to see if it's anything unusual. Hell, they're so damn thirsty, this could get ugly quick. He tries to remember what happened at the old Sutter Place in that thunderstorm...
Jeff spurs his horse up the flank of the herd, trying to get to the front. If they could head off the lead steer, that should slow the herd to a controlled pace.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Notice 5
OOC Comments
1d8 = 2: 2
1d6 = 5: 5

Survival 7
OOC Comments
1d6+2 = 7: 5
1d6+2 = 6: 4

Vigour 12
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8 ace 1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 1: 1
Ride 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 4: 4
John spent the next 4 nights keeping an eye on the new arrival as they rode drag. Long rides through hostile terrain didn't bother John and he was used to conserving his water and energy, but he kept himself awake with brief tunes on his harmonica.

As the cattle could smell the water, John sighs.

"Time to round them up again." he says to the others, kicking his horse into a gallop to get ahead of the cattle
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Bishop » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Notice 2, Vigor 4, Survival 4
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Vigor 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Survival 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Riding 3
Riding 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Bishop falls into a bit of a fog as they travel. The switch between daytime action and nighttime riding has thrown her off her game and she finds herself becoming complacent and zoning out while riding. This costs her when the cattle start getting restless as she reacts just a hair too slow in trying to help contain them.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 am

Notice 2
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Survival 3
Survival 1d4-2 = 0: 2
Wild 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Vigor 4
Vigor 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Benny to reroll
Vigor 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Riding 4
Riding 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
In a Desert/River
Afternoon
Round 0

“Wait,” Hope told Jack, putting a hand on his arm before he left. “Sorry for being forward,” she apologized. A decent man like him wouldn’t want to be touched by a woman of ill repute like herself. “I do know a...prayer that can give your gun some extra...oomph,” she told him. “We could try it out sometime.”

***

Hope settled into the night drive. It was difficult, trying not to fall asleep in the saddle, fall of the horse, get trampled by the herd. Fortunately Devil Eyes was looking out for her, though she was rather bruised and sore from when he would bang her against something to wake her up.

A few days later the herd started to get restless, Hope perked up as the whistles and calls went around the riders. She kicked her heels into Devil Eyes. “C’mon, boy. Let’s keep these beeves in line,” she told her horse, stroking his neck as she moved along the edge, keeping the herd contained and calm.
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:02 am

Hope Monaghan wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 am

“Wait,” Hope told Jack, putting a hand on his arm before he left. “Sorry for being forward,” she apologized. A decent man like him wouldn’t want to be touched by a woman of ill repute like herself. “I do know a...prayer that can give your gun some extra...oomph,” she told him. “We could try it out sometime.”
notice
1d6 = 6: 6
1d6 = 2: 2
Exploded 1d6 = 6: 6
Exploded 1d6 = 5: 5
Notice=17
Vigor
1d8 = 8: 8
1d6 = 5: 5
Exploded 1d8 = 4: 4
Vigor=12
Ride
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 3: 3
White_Bennie 1d8 = 2: 2
Ride=3
Jack looked down at Hope's hand as she placed it on his arm, looked back and smiled. He took his other hand and gently placed it over hers

No need to Apologize Miss Hope. I like it when people do not beat around the barrel. Yes, that sounds like a good idea, next time we run into trouble, I wil come to you for that prayer.

He smiles again, holds her hand for a moment then sets off to his hourse to get ready for the night drive.

During the next 4 days, Jack seems extra attentive and the water rations don't seem to be affecting him. Seems I'm getting use to this rough climate. That is just scarry.

Upon the 4th day, Jack notices the cattle becoming restless and the riders starting to move towards the front to calm them. Jack starts to move also but, for some reason he seems to be fighting his own horse and unable to move up and assist. He tries patting him, brushing him but, nothing he does manages him to control his horse as needed.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
Muskrat Jack
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Muskrat Jack » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 pm

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
May 14th 1880 10:23 AM
Fear Level: 2

During the trip to the headwaters, Jack spots what appears to be a lone wolf or coyote shadowing the herd at a distance. Pointing it out just causes it to disappear into the wilderness, seemingly without a trace. By the time it looks to be a recurrence, the task of keeping the herd in check garners all of your attention. It’s takes everyone at their best, but eventually you and the hands are able to manage the herd to water in an orderly fashion.

The water is shallow enough that getting the herd across isn’t too much effort. The cattle don’t balk at entering it, thanks to their thirst, and the river is little more than a stream with delusions of grandeur at this point. As a result, Sutter sets the everyone to simply shepherd the animals across, rather than actually driving them. Everyone also takes the opportunity to refill canteens,
the chuck wagon’s water barrels, and water their horses.

Things are going smoothly until about halfway through the crossing. Jeff is pulling the back of the drag when the water starts to roil around him. Suddenly he is surrounded by snakes. A lot of snakes.

Map

What are you doing?
OOC Comments
GM Bennies

5/5

3 white, 2 blue

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 am

Notice 6
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Archibald had reached the other side of the stream when he heard a cry from behind him. Turning round, he saw the water surrounding Jeff being trashed about. A glimpse told him all he needed to know: Snakes.

"Hold on my dear fellow!" Called out Archibald as he wades back through the water, drawing his sword as he does so.

Actions
Move to the square south-west/left and below of Jack, draw sabre whilst moving and then attempt to attack the snakes.

Fighting 1d8 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2

Spend RED BENNY to re-roll.

Fighting 1d8 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jeff Milton » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am

Riding = 7 with RC
Trying to jump past/over the snakes
Riding 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2

Red 1d6 = 4: 4
Jeff flinches at the roiling snakes, and thinking quickly, put's his heels into his horse's flanks. "Hee-yah!, UP!"

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 am

Beast Friend 11; Raise, so control for 20 minutes
-2 Novice power
Faith 1d10 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
White Fate Chip to reroll
Faith 1d10+2 = 12: 10
Ace 1d10+10 = 11: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4
In a Desert/River
Afternoon
Round 0
OOC Comments
Something familiar about snakes in the river. Didn’t that happen in Lonesome Dove? I never saw the entire miniseries, but I seem to recall them crossing the river and there being a roiling nest of cottonmouths they stirred up and killed a guy.
Devil Eyes pulled up and Hope hung on as the snakes roiled around Jeff.

“Must have stirred up a nest!” she exclaimed. She clutched at the silver cross necklace she wore and started to pray for Jeff’s safety.

Hope extended her hand toward the snakes, and suddenly sibillent hisses started to come from her mouth, the effect quite unnerving.
Beast Friend
I don’t know if these snakes are swarms or individual. She can control either for 20 minutes. She will try and convince them they are no danger and will not harm them and they should move on downstream away from the cattle and them.
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
Party loot
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo)
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo)
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo)
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Small box of jewelry ($50)(Hope)
Evans Old Model Sporter rifle (Jack)
$32 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: W
Adventure Card:
  • Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Jack hears the sudden commotion behind him and turns quickly to see a sudden outbreak of snakes around Jeff in the river. He moves up next to the water.
Hope Monaghan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 am
“Must have stirred up a nest!” she exclaimed. She clutched at the silver cross necklace she wore and started to pray for Jeff’s safety.
I don't believe we upset a nest Miss Hope. I have tried to point out a lone wolf that has been following us and every time I try to get someones attention, it disappears.
I'm thinking that Indian that was with the walking dead may have something to do with this.


Jack draws his shotgun, and aims at the snakes furthest from Jeff. If the snakes move away (either on their own, due to current or from Hope) I will not fire. If not I will open fire.
Shooting
Shooting 1d8+2 = 8: 6
Explosion 1d8 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Shooting=12
Damage 3d6 = 10: 2, 2, 6
Raise_DMG 1d6 = 1: 1
Exploded_DMG_die 1d6 = 5: 5
Damage=16
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Jack: Cutting the Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Once More Into The Dust

Post by John Baxter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:36 am

Notice 5
OOC Comments
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 5: 5
"Keep the snakes away from the cattle and keep gunfire to a minimum" he shouts, "we don't want to spook the cattle."


Considering most of the crew were dealing with the snakes, in case the cattle spooked, he was ready to keep them from running amok.

Riding 15
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8 ace 1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 4: 4
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”