Into The Nations

Post Reply
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Into The Nations

Post by stormwell »

Sioux Nations

Fear Level 4
The Old Ways:
Everyone inside the Sioux Nations has the All Thumbs Hindrance when using manufactured goods.

The drive eventually leaves the Overland Trail and crosses a portion of the Sioux Nations, a prospect that has Sutter looking particularly anxious. It is well-known that the Indians are highly protective of their lands, though there is talk of them supposedly being protected by the 'Old Ways'. Some of the hands snort and chuckle at such a notion, though Sutter's face is deadly serious when he hears it.

Bill tells everyone that he hopes to skedaddle across the corner of the Nations and get into Wind River Canyon before the Sioux even know you’re there. But the herd is just too large. The second day after crossing into the Nations, a roving Sioux patrol catches sight of the Lazy S herd.

The Indian warriors keep their distance but don’t remain unseen. They shadow you from a distance, clearly visible and always watching. If anyone attempts to approach them, they quickly ride off into the wilderness only to return sometime later.

Bill warns the crew not to engage: “They’re gonna tail us. Keep us honest and movin’. Some of the younger ones might even try to slip in at night and count coup or take a horse or steer as toll for our crossing. If you see ’em, get in their way, but for God’s sake, don’t attack. First off, we’re on their land and that wouldn’t be right. Second, there’s a whole lot more of ’em then there are us. However many you see tailin’ us remember there’s a dozen villages within a few hours ride of us. Comprende, muchachos?”

Bill waits for everyone to signal that they clearly understand before getting the herd moving again. That night, the watches are strengthened with everyone being expected to pull a stint standing guard over the drive during the hours of darkness.

Note to Players

Going to need a Notice roll from each of you, this will be at -4 due to darkness.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 5 Danger Sense
-4 darkness
Notice 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Benny to reroll
Notice 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Sioux Nations
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Warm
Fear Level 4
The Old Ways: Everyone inside the Sioux Nations has the All Thumbs Hindrance when using manufactured goods.

Hope listened as Sutter explained the Sioux Nation to them. She had only heard of the place, never been. She watched the native warriors as they watched the herd. She hoped they understood that they just needed to cross this small corner of their territory and meant no harm.

Hope took her turn on watch, cupping a hot cup of coffee away from the fire to preserve her night vision as she watched the area around camp. She wondered what it would be like to meet a Sioux. Did they talk normally, like an American?

Hope cradled her shotgun and sipped her coffee, eying the stars and the darkness.

***

Weapon: Shotgun
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 7 (+1 armor legs)
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun 2/2; 16); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 44); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 2/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing, Protection, Relief
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Concentration: Double duration of powers and maintenance
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.


Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka weighs in, "Listen to the boss man on this; he knows what he's talking about. If any of them do get close enough to talk, come get me. I'm not welcome everywhere in the Nation, but I do have friends here."
Notice Fail
Notice 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[2] = 4 - 4 for darkness and it's not even close
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 14
Notice 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!-2: [16!!]-2 = 14
"I say." Archibald comments upon sighting the tailing warriors for the first time. "Those Sioux fellows remind, rather uncomfortably I might add, of the Zulus in Africa."

"Those were a nasty bunch to be facing down and if these Sioux chaps are anything like them, the less trouble we attract the better."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka smirks. "I have heard a little of these Zulus. Not much, but a little. I don't know how alike we are, but maybe we see outsiders similarly."
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"The Zulus are a fierce warrior people." Archibald replied. "Lord knows they routed a modern army, armed with rifle and cannon, with nought but spears."

"I was...fortunate to have missed that battle as fate had other ideas, others I knew less so." He added with a hint of dismay and regret in his voice.
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by stormwell »

Three days pass with the Sioux shadowing the herd, every so often a lone warrior sneaks up close under the cover of darkness to test you. They take particular interest in Tashunka, though only give a few terse words regarding what they thought of his 'employment' with the white men. Despite the chance for trouble, things remain peaceful if a little tense as you continue on your way.

The North Platte River, near the Oregon Trail, comes into view as it seems you might just avoid trouble...

Note to Players

Whoever, or even all of you, is riding point I need a Notice roll at -2 please.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 3 Danger Sense, if needed
-2 difficulty
Notice 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Benny to reroll
Notice 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny to reroll
Notice 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Sioux Nations
Mid-Day
Round 0
Conditions: Warm
Fear Level 4
The Old Ways: Everyone inside the Sioux Nations has the All Thumbs Hindrance when using manufactured goods.

The Sioux seemed content to just shadow the herd and occasionally ride up to prove their bravery. Hope felt a bit bad for Tashunka, the way they treated him.

“Don’t listen to them,” she reassured the man, putting her hand lightly on his arm and favoring him with her beautiful smile. While still very attractive, the redhead was no longer the lily white cathouse girl that had first joined this expedition, the sun and weather having darkened her skin and given her more freckles scattered across her nose.

Later, she was riding out on point, keeping her green eyes scanning the horizon.

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 7 (+1 armor legs)
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun 2/2; 16); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 44); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 0/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing, Protection, Relief
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Concentration: Double duration of powers and maintenance
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.


Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka smiles back at @Hope Monaghan. "Thank you, Miss Hope. I'm used to that and a lot worse, really. You should meet my grandmother sometime! She could teach a curse or three to these young ones who follow us now and think themselves tough."

Notice Fail to Support Hope
Notice 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[2] = 4
He keeps his eyes open but doesn't see anything of note.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 1
Notice 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Archibald rode along, though his horse determining the course rather than the rider. For his part, Archibald's mind was elsewhere as he reflected upon the memories of his time in Africa that had recently been jolted to the forefront of his mind.
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by stormwell »

As you approach the river bank, Archibald's horse suddenly finds the ground giving away underneath it as it starts sinking into the ground having come across a patch of quicksand. Couple of the longhorns also bumble into the quicksand before anyone can stop them, sending up a chorus of noise.

Quicksand

Archibald, his horse and couple of the cattle are slowly sinking into the mud of the river bank. Having, belatedly, been warned of the danger you can see that the pool is around twelve feet in diameter.

Any creature caught in the mud sinks completely within three rounds, Archibald gets an extra two rounds if his horse perishes.

Freeing a victim requires a Strength roll, either from the victim themselves or somebody else but each may Support the other normally.

Critical Failure means the poor sod goes straight under, a success means they don't sink any further that round and a raise means they're free. Support rolls for the horse and cattle are at -2 due to their mass.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Faith support roll 13
-2 difficulty
Faith 1d10!!-2: [15!!]-2 = 13
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Sioux Nations
Mid-Day
Round 0
Conditions: Warm
Fear Level 4
The Old Ways: Everyone inside the Sioux Nations has the All Thumbs Hindrance when using manufactured goods.

Hope gasped as Archibald and some of the cattle got stuck in quicksand. She wheeled Devil Eyes around and touched the silver cross at her throat. She wasn’t very strong, so she did what she could, saying a prayer that the others could get them out.

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 7 (+1 armor legs)
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun 2/2; 16); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 44); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 0/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing, Protection, Relief
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Concentration: Double duration of powers and maintenance
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.


Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
Dice rolls
1d10!!: [3] = 3
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Archie Strength 1 Crit Fail
Strength 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Archie's Horse 10
Strength 1d12!!: [10] = 10

Somehow upon falling into the pool of quicksand, horse and rider became separated as Archibald found himself being deserted in his hour of need by his erstwhile faithful mount. As traitorous beast staggered free from the treacherous earth, Archibald found his world going black as he was sucked under.
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Tashunka »

GM posting for Tashunka

Strength 13
Strength 1d6!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Seeing Archibald in trouble, Tashunka rushes to the aid of his fellow posse member. The Sioux Horseman shoves his arm into the quicksand, managing to grab hold of the stricken British officer and pull him back up to the surface.
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by stormwell »

Once Archibald and the pair of longhorns were rescued, the drive got underway again skirting round the quicksand before fording the North Platte River. On the opposite bank you crest a rise and get your first look at the Oregon Trail, though it's less than awe-inspiring consisting of wide-open prairie and deeply rutted wagon wheel tracks. More awe-inspiring is the large contingent of Sioux (a hundred or more) on the opposite side of the ruts that blocks the herd’s progress north. Upon seeing this array of warriors, Sutter mutters;

"I reckon they want us to follow the trail. Maybe that’s how they want folks passin’ through?"

The drive comes to a halt as some of the other cowpokes crest the rise and spy the Sioux warriors whom, from what you can see, outnumber the Lazy S crew by more than five to one. Even the more gung ho of the hands are too hesitant to even consider reaching for their guns.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Into The Nations

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Sioux Nations
Mid-Day
Round 0
Conditions: Warm
Fear Level 4
The Old Ways: Everyone inside the Sioux Nations has the All Thumbs Hindrance when using manufactured goods.

“Does the Trail go the way we want to go?” Hope asked Sutton. “Is there any reason not to follow it? At least a little way to show our good intentions? Not sure we can fight all of them.” She eyed the Sioux warriors. “Do you want me to go up and try and talk to them?” she asked with a bit of trepidation. She’d never been this close to an Injun. Well, Tashunka not included. But she’d heard all the stories of what they did to pretty young white women.

***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 7 (+1 armor legs)
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun 2/2; 16); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 44); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing, Protection, Relief
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Concentration: Double duration of powers and maintenance
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.


Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”