Head 'Em Up

Hope Monaghan

Re: Head 'Em Up

Post by Hope Monaghan »

On the Trail
Approaching Evening
Round 0

Hope paused as Archibald rode up to her and Abby.

“I...know a few prayers of protection,” Hope told Archibald. “I am certainly willing to pray for you, or any of us. If that is trouble back there, our best bet might be to get the herd to move on ahead and us to fall back, rejoin with John and Bishop. You served with the British military, right? Could you maybe find a good place for an ambush?”

Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
  • Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
Jack

Post by Jack »

After riding his side of the herd, Jack headed over to the others.

I'm thinking that the cloud was something more than just innocent animals. If it was nothing, they would have been back by now I believe. I warned the riders on my side of the herd and asked them to double check the actions of their weapons. Can you think of anything else we should be doing? I'm not exactly well versed in these matters.

While talking with the others, Jack transfers shells to the pockets of his duster for ease of access and ensures that his gun belt is fully loaded as well. He checks the actions of both guns and ensures they are clear of dirt, takes a big swig from his canteen and refills it.

Miss, Abby. Since there will probably be trouble, would you mind keeping this up in the wagon with you? I don't wish fo ranything to happen to it.

Jack takes off his derby hat, brushes it off and hands it to her.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

On the Drive, Somewhere in Texas
April 21st 1880 7:15 PM
Fear Level: 2

The next hour back at the herd seems like an eternity. Sutter and Luke are still not back and neither are Bishop and John. Weapons are checked and rechecked and everyone is jumping at shadows--which seem to be growing at a rate in direct contradiction to the perceived slowing of time.

Finally, John and Bishop make it back. Both of them are pale and their horses are sweating and skittish and after they inform you of what they encountered, it is easy to see why. Whether you believe what they tell you or not, something they saw unnerved them. As they tell the tale, Archibald notices that Black Dog must have been planning this for a while. The Lazy S cowboys have lead the herd into a canyon to or the night perfect for an ambush. Maybe two or three cows can get through the other end abreast of each other. Not a problem with the cowboys managing the herd, but what would happen if the shooting started?
All
I still need that fear check from Bishop. Some of you might not believe what John and Bishop have to say, depending on your character. I’ll let you RP that out but the fact is, Black Dog and the group he is leading will attack tonight. Map below on layout. Javier and Abby should be obvious and there are three cowboys out rounding up stray cattle for the evening. You all have some time, but the attack will likely come once the sun sets from the south. Map
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Fear check
Spirit[dice]0[/dice]-2 +1 grit
Wild[dice]1[/dice]-2 +1 grit
Ugh. Zombies. This is a little more dangerous than the lone spy I had thought we’d find. This may be our chance to get Black Dog out of the picture early on in the drive though. I don’t like having him after us.

”An ambush would definitely be difficult. If they find out we’re here I can help by creating darkness around them or shooting a hail of arrows that would hopefully cull their numbers some,” Bishop answers.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jack listens to the report from John and Bishop quietly. Zombies? Walking dead? Obviously the heat, dust and foul smell of cattle has gotten to them. I have heard of people becoming not right in the head after longs periods in the sun but, I didn't think they were out for too long, I mean I have been out for just as long. Maybe the sun glinting off the desert floor has had some effect....wait. back in town, I had imagined seeing rain drops bouncing off of Hope. Hmmm, maybe there is something in the water out here or maybe we have been drugged.

I don't mean to sound rude and please, that is not how I am trying to explain this but, I think we may have all been drugged or maybe the water is contaminated. Our last time in town when it started to rain, I purchased a parasol for Miss Hope here and as I gave it to her, I thought I saw the rain drops bouncing away from her. We all know that's not possible and now, you have reported back that there are dead people walking with Bayou Vermillion's men. I think we may have been poisoned and may need some medicine. With those bandits closing in behind us, we had better think of something to protect ourselves.
Signature
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.
Archibald Ellsworth

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 6
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Hope Monaghan wrote:“I...know a few prayers of protection,” Hope told Archibald. “I am certainly willing to pray for you, or any of us. If that is trouble back there, our best bet might be to get the herd to move on ahead and us to fall back, rejoin with John and Bishop. You served with the British military, right? Could you maybe find a good place for an ambush?”
"Whatever you think will help protect the herd and the other riders." Replied Archibald. "Admittedly I was a glorified mapmaker in Her Majesty's British Army, but I was trained as a soldier first."

Archibald turns to the others after Bishop and John return, listening carefully to what they had to say as as well Jack's input. "I'll be the first to admit that it sounds like something straight out of a Penny Dreadful back in dear old England, but I did serve in Africa and so I wouldn't dismiss the notion entirely."

"But the basic fact stands; we have a hostile force presently on its way to launch an assault on our location."

"We know they're coming and therefore I can fight them on a battlefield of our choosing, though we're against the clock when it comes to making preparations." Archibald said. "I suggest gathering lantern oil and the like to spread across the canyon to the south, then set it alight when they attack to create a firetrap. Mr Baxter, if you have any skill with traps could you place a few additional surprises please?"

"What concerns me if whether theres another path to get round to the northern end of the canyon, though as I said the clock is against us and so we're going to need to post a lookout." Archibald continued. "Then see whether there is any sharpshooters among the riders and see whether we can form a skirmish line with them."
For the GM
Knowledge (Battle) roll to prepare defences, etc.

K/Battle [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Wild Explodes [dice]4[/dice]
Second Explodes [dice]5[/dice]

Total: 16
Main Account: stormwell
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice
[dice]0[/dice]
wild dice [dice]1[/dice]
Bishop wrote:”An ambush would definitely be difficult. If they find out we’re here I can help by creating darkness around them or shooting a hail of arrows that would hopefully cull their numbers some,” Bishop answers.
“Too much risk of getting caught and not being able to warn the others. No good being able to take out that injun and getting gunned down by the others. The others will still walk into an ambush. No, our best bet is to get back to the drive and take advantage of our greater numbers, but keep it ready in case they catch us.”

John knew his trade and managed to bring the two of them back ahead the hunting party, his steed exhausted from the speed he’d forced her to gallop.

“Well, we certainly have not made any friends. Bayou Vermillion has sent a small army to intercept us, replete with the Walking Dead.” he explains what they had seen back there.
Jack wrote:I don't mean to sound rude and please, that is not how I am trying to explain this but, I think we may have all been drugged or maybe the water is contaminated. Our last time in town when it started to rain, I purchased a parasol for Miss Hope here and as I gave it to her, I thought I saw the rain drops bouncing away from her. We all know that's not possible and now, you have reported back that there are dead people walking with Bayou Vermillion's men. I think we may have been poisoned and may need some medicine. With those bandits closing in behind us, we had better think of something to protect ourselves.
He looked around at incredulous faces and rolls his eyes.
“Believe me, don’t believe me, you’ll meet them soon enough. Just listen to me when I tell you the best ways to kill them."

Knowledge occult
OOC Comments
[dice]2[/dice]
wild dice [dice]3[/dice]

Best way to kill a zombie
Thinking about the route ahead; now a stampede would have worked to force the herd through the zombies. Any panic would have increased their speed. However, with that opening only wide enough to allow two or three abreast, that would be a meat grinder. They would be trapped, part of the herd lost and at the mercy of the Rail Baron’s forces.

“We don’t have the numbers to take them head on, not if we want a trail crew to actually be able to look after the herd. Again, I think Bishop and I should sneak up on their flank. If we can get that Injun, I think we can disrupt their control of the zombies, unless anybody has any better ideas?"
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 0

“Not sure there is much we can do but wait,” Hope told Jack. “Wait and pray.”

The hour passed interminably, but finally Jack and Bishop returned and told their tale.

“Zombies? Really?” she asked credulously. “Is that even real?”

Jack expressed skepticism, as well, and Hope blushed a little. “You were not hallucinating about the rain, Jack,” the redhead said, putting a hand on his arm. If she could do the things she did, maybe someone could make...zombies?

Hope looked around the canyon where they were setting up camp. “Can we maybe get some folk up there?” she asked, indicating the ledge above them. “And these boulders would provide good cover and some high ground to shoot from. We should probably try and shoot that Black Dog Injun first.”

John seemed to agree, and was volunteering himself and Bishop for that mission. “If you think it best,” Hope said. “Make sure you can get away, though.”

Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Adventure Card:
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hope Monaghan wrote:In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 0
Jack expressed skepticism, as well, and Hope blushed a little. “You were not hallucinating about the rain, Jack,”
Jack stood there looking at Hope for a moment wondering if she was pulling one over on him or not. He couldn't read her expression to well due to the light and the fact they were all a little worked up with the upcoming fight.

There is a small opening between this large boulder and the canyon wall on the other side. I can set up over there and with both of my shotguns I should be able to hold off a large number of them. Firing in tight quarters, I should be able to hold, maybe one other with me if we have the man...sorry ladies, people power to cover all the spots.
Signature
Archibald Ellsworth

Rolls carried

"Sorry to sound a little brash, but if we've got a plan then it needs to be put into action post haste!" Archibald said to the group. "I for one, do not like how long those shadows are getting."

"Regardless, from the sound of things the plan is to engage the ruffians at range...we're going to need something to make sure they stay at range. So unless there are any objections, I wish to put the impromptu fire pit part of my proposals into practice."
Archie's Plan
Using lantern oil, etc to create a fire barrier across the southern (??) end of the canyon. It'll be set alight when enemies get close to it.
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

”A fire barrier sounds great to me. I think John’s got a good plan as well, with his suggestion to take out Black Dog. I think the rest of the group will fall apart and be easier to pick off once he’s taken care of. Is there a way we could distract him?”

In regards to what she saw not being real, Bishop figures it’s better to be safe than sorry. If it’s real then they’ll eliminate the threat and be safer going forwards, if not then they’ve lost some time and worried unnecessarily. Better to gamble with time than with lives. Although what if this is a ploy to distract us while another attack is carried out? Sometimes I get why some people don’t like magic.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:15 PM

The sun isn’t waiting and continues to sink below the peaks of the mountains off to the west. The shadows lengthen quickly in the valley and its soon dark. Still, you have enough time to put your plan into action.

Archibald convinces Javier of the need for the oil. It’s not easy, the cook is slow to part with anything and grumbles that it will be the Englishman’s fault if they survive this just to suffer any number of calamities due to inadequate supplies a month down the road.

The Lazy S hands are noticeably shaken by John and Bishop’s account. Three of them ‘volunteer’ to guard the western flank immediately, which is the obvious safe bet and provides an easy escape into the mountains should things go bad. The most senior one and second to Luke, gathers three of the most experienced hands and positions themselves in front of the herd. This is away from where the fight will occur, but a death sentence if the cattle decide to stampede. It’s obvious this isn’t the first drive for these four and they stoically accept the responsibility. The two left are a little green and perhaps are more interested in impressing Abby than anything else. Although it's obvious they are scared out of their minds, they stay to fight if need be.

Still, no sign of Bill and Luke or the three riders rounding up strays.

Jack positions himself in the boulders and John and Bishop ride up to the small ridge. Hope stays by the fire with Abby, Javier, and the two hands. The cook pulls out an old Sharp’s single shot and loads up a massive .50-110 cartridge. It’s the only action that he takes outside of his normal supper preparations.

Before too long, although you can’t quite see them, you hear Black Dog and the Bayou Vermilion gunmen approaching. They are quiet and not talking but it's hard to muffle the sound of that many on horseback and on foot. Snorts, stray whinnies, and the clop and thud of hooves and boots let you know they are coming.
All
They do not know you all know they are coming, so you do have a chance to get an action in before action cards are dealt.

Conditions: Darkness appliesa -2 penalty and those of you that are beyond 5 (10’) squares can’t see them.

Archibald: You can make them out and with a successful Notice check, you will need to make a Guts check as you will see the zombies. Fear level is still 2.

Bishop: I should have told you a Fear check is a Guts check in Deadlands. You aced and I am not one to waste those so we’ll keep it. You will need a raise on a Notice check to see them.
Hope: From your standpoint, its noises in the night putting everyone around the fire on edge. Javier continues to prepare supper (it smells delicious) but Abby and the two hands are pale and visibly nervous.

Jack: With a successful Notice, you see them as well. With a raise, you will see the walking dead so I will need a Guts check.

John: Same as Bishop, you’ll need a raise on a Notice to make anything out at this distance.

All: I think I got the placement right but let me know and we can adjust.
Map

What are you doing?
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice [dice]0[/dice] forgot -2, so fail anyway
[dice]1[/dice]

In the darkness, John couldn't see anything, so he lines up his rifle waiting for a shot.

"Keep your shooting calm. There are so many of them that hitting something shouldn't be a problem."
OOC Comments
Aim action in that direction, waiting for the flames.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 10
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Wild Explodes [dice]2[/dice]
Guts 6
Guts [dice]3[/dice]
Wild [dice]4[/dice]
Archibald was crouched down rifle ready by the large boulder, using it as cover, he was comforted by Jack covering the other side of the boulder. He'd made a shallow channel across the mouth of the canyon and poured the oil he was able to get hold off, though he'd promised Javier that he would replenish the cook's stocks when they reached another settlement. As the sun begins to dip below the horizon, the approach of the railroad thugs could be heard. Archibald could make out some shapes in the gloom, he stints his eyes for a better look and soon wished he hadn't.

"Lord above..." He curses as he spies the charges that the ruffians are herding, proving that John and Bishop most certainly hadn't been telling tall tales. He takes aim with his rifle, lining up on the nearest rider, and squeezes the trigger.
Actions & Rolls
Archie will fire his rifle at the nearest rider.

Shooting [dice]5[/dice]
Wild [dice]6[/dice]

Spending Benny for re-roll
Shooting re-roll [dice]7[/dice]
Wild re-roll [dice]8[/dice]
Wild explodes [dice]9[/dice]

Total: 5

Damage [dice]10[/dice]

Damage Total: 6

Winchester '73 24/48/96, 2d8, RoF 1, Shots 15, AP 2, Min Str d6
Jack

Post by Jack »

Notice
Notice[dice]0[/dice]
Wild[dice]1[/dice]
Jack can just see the riders on this side of the group. He knows there are more from the description from John and Bishop but, he only needs to worry about these. They are still a ways out and his guns work best up close so he holds his fire. He is leaning against the far left of the canyon wall just behind some rocks, hoping that will give him enough cover against the return fire and possibly hide him even more in the dark. While he has grown up around guns, built, repaired and fired guns, this was his first gun battle. He knew what was expected and how things played out but, he has never been in one due to his weapons of choice. No one likes to go up against shotguns especially a modified one as a pistol.
With these weapons, he knows his best bet is to wait. After the others open fire and Archibald lights the flame trap, some will head for this little path and when he opens up, he will certainly catch at least 2 right off the bat then fire his second gun for 2 more. He has no visions of being a great gun fighter but, he will stop them from getting through this pass. He readies his weapon and waits for the shooting to start.
Comment
No raise on notice so no guts check yet. Thankfully.
Signature
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 0

Hope couldn’t see much past the light of the cookfire. She said some comforting words to Abby and the two hands.

“The Lord is with us. Have faith,” she tried to reassure them. She set out her Winchester rifle, double barrelled shotgun, and Colt Peacemaker in easy reach, along with boxes of ammo.

Quietly Hope said her own prayers.
Deflection 11; Raise, -4 to hit, +4 Armor vs AOE
-2 Novice spell
Faith [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Ace [dice]2[/dice]
Character Tracker
Deflection: -4 to hit, +4 Armor vs. AOE
Adventure Card:
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Notice and Guts
Notice[dice]0[/dice]
Ace[dice]2[/dice]
Wild[dice]1[/dice]
Guts[dice]3[/dice]
Wild[dice]4[/dice]
Bishop can see the bad guys again and is a little glad for confirmation she hadn’t hallucinated them. Though she can see them she still decides against aiming for individuals until their numbers are culled a little. Good thing she’s got her magic bow to send a burst of arrows and hopefully take out a few at once.
Shooting and Hexslinging
Shooting[dice]5[/dice]
Wild[dice]6[/dice]
Hexslinging[dice]7[/dice]
Wild[dice]8[/dice]
Damage[dice]9[/dice] with 2AP
3PP used
She pumps her arm in success when she sees some of the arrows connect. Hopefully they’ll come out of this encounter without too much damage to her side.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:45 PM

Javier continues to busy himself with dinner. Outside the crackle of the fire there isn’t much to be seen or heard. Still, guns are checked and rechecked by Abby and the hands. Hope attempts to calm them down and after a few minutes begins to succeed. The night is quite beautiful when you stop to look. There is a bit of a chill in the spring air but the fire keeps it at bay. Perhaps John and Bishop did get a case of too much sun…

BANG-CRACK!

A gunshot splits the night air and any sense of calm dissipates as those around the campfire are immediately on edge. Javier goes for his rifle and the ranch hands eyes get as big as saucers. A horse whinnies and instinct takes over with Abby as she leaps up to keep them calm. At that moment Hope realizes the danger they are in if the other hands around the herd can’t keep the cattle contained once the shooting gets going.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those waiting in ambush strain their eyes the best they can to see the Bayou Vermilion ambushers trudging closer. Jack can’t see how many but determine there are a lot. More than enough to do the job if they had been taken by surprise. Still, he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary except that some of them were on foot. BV probably didn’t want to waste money on horses for everyone.

Archibald likewise does his best to will his eyes to pierce the darkness. The one in front on foot looks a bit odd….and just at that moment the moon begins to make its appearance revealing rags and rotting flesh! The Englishmen fights down the rising bile and panic, his time in Africa teaching him to deal with the issue at hand and worry about the unknown later. Looking away, Archibald looks down the barrel of his rifle just as a rider steps in front of his iron sights.

BANG-CRACK!

John was beginning to second guess his vantage point as he couldn’t see a thing. He knew Bishop was there and attempted to offer some guidance, not knowing if the woman with the bow had faced such odds before.

"Keep your shooting calm. There are so many of them that hitting something shouldn't be a problem."

No sooner had John whispered those words, when Archibald’s shot split the night. It didn’t matter, though, Bishop ignored both. She knew what she saw and didn’t care if anyone believed her. She also knew that the world was a better place without them. Focusing her mind, she felt arcane power course through her bow. Bishop rose and drew back all in one motion never taking her eyes off the ambushers. When the string reached her cheek, the arrow was released without a second thought. In flight the barbed shaft split into a hail of death raining down on the riders and zombies.

Archibald’s shot struck the rider but the man stayed in the saddle. He grunted and then the darkness hissed as Bishop’s arrows cut down the rider next to him along with the three lead zombies.

“What the hell! They are on to us boys!”
All
Map updated with dead or dead again bodies. The one with the red dot is the one Archibald shot. He did not go down. Only one rider and his horse coincidentally escaped Bishop’s burst. Same conditions as before: -2 penalty due to darkness and you need a raise to see them at all outside of 5 squares and a raise to pick them out to be zombies within 5 squares. That will obviously change when the oil is lit.
Map

Action Cards
Abby: AS
Archibald: 5H
Black Doge: 8S
Bishop: Joker!
Hope: 9D
Jack: JH
Javier: AH
John: 10C
Outlaw Riders: 10D
Ranch Hands: 4C
Zombies: 2H

What are you doing?
Archibald Ellsworth

Initial Action & Notice 5
Playing Adventure Card, +2 to all trait rolls.

Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
"By George, we have them checked!" Archibald cries, seeing the devastation wrought by Bishop's attack. "We shall have them routed before the night is through! Tally ho!"

Archibald then lines up for another shot on the rider and squeezes the trigger once more.
Action & Rolls
Archie will fire again at the same rider he fired at on the previous round.

Shooting [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Shooting Explodes [dice]4[/dice]

Shooting Total: 8

Damage [dice]5[/dice]+[dice]6[/dice]
Damage Die Explodes [dice]7[/dice]

Damage Total: 15

Winchester '73 24/48/96, 2d8, RoF 1, Shots 15, AP 2, Min Str d6
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 3 or 5 if Jokers affects us too
OOC Comments
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
John was starting to get a complex; he could hear the gunshots and see the flashes in the dark, but for the life of him, he could not see what was going on. He maintained his position ready to open fire when he could see something

Aim action with marksman and holding action

Agility check
OOC Comments
[dice]2[/dice]
wild dice [dice]3[/dice]
Shooting if it becomes relevant
OOC Comments
[dice]4[/dice] +2 for marksman, -2 for darkness
[dice]5[/dice]
OOC Comments

Lame

Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 1
Notice 3
Notice [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
As the shot rang out, Hope still couldn’t see the enemy, so she continued to pray for protection.
Faith 9 Raise
-2 Novice
Faith [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Character Tracker
Deflection: -4 to hit, +4 Armor vs. AOE (2r)
Armor (Raise): +4 Toughness (now 10)(3r)
Adventure Card:
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Notice 5
Notice[dice]0[/dice]-2
Wild[dice]1[/dice]-2
Bishop has trouble making out the enemy through the darkness. Her cautious nature prevents her from shooting again without being able to see what she’s aiming at. ”Can we get some light going?” She asks, hoping that she hasn’t given away their fire plan.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
Jack

Post by Jack »

jack watches in the dark, just making out the nearest riders. They are heading for the oil, as soon as it is lit, they will try and come around towards me and I will be waiting.

Jack nestles down behind the rock, pulls the butt of the shotgun up to his shoulder, rests his other arm on the rock for better balance and aim, braces his back leg and props his front leg in a way to push him back farther against the rocks after he fires. Jack watches and waits for the riders to come and aims at the closest rider all the while.
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:45 PM

Bishop goes to draw another arrow and its either the gunsmoke from Archibald’s shot or the moon ducked behind a wisp of cloud. Either way, she loses sight of the ambusher’s below.

“Can we get some light!” She calls out but now it seems the fight has been joined fully and either her allies are not listening or they are now fully engaged.

John grimaces. He cannot see anything either. Where was Archibald with that oil?

No sooner as the thought enters his head, than bullets start zipping by. The outlaws can’t see John and Bishop either but its not keeping them from firing blindly. At some point one of them might just get lucky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abby leaps up and does her best to calm the horses when the shot goes off. It’s all she can do to keep them from running. Luckily Devil Eyes is made of sterner stuff and trots around the makeshift corral keeping the other horses contained.

Javier looks down his rifle and curses.

“No puedo ver una maldita cosa!”

He kicks over his stool and kneels down behind it, resting the barrel on the upturned leg preparing to fire at anything that breaches the light of the fire. He doesn’t have to wait too long as the outlaws come charging in. The fire a beacon for them to ride towards.

The cook’s massive rifle goes off. The massive round goes through the horse’s head and into the outlaw’s guts, taking them both out. Javier might be onto to something as shooting the rider would have caused the horse to continue right into the herd.

The other riders pull up short and begin firing on those around the campfire. Bullets whiz past and kick up dust and splinters but it seems that no one was struck in this volley.

Hope prays for protection and deliverance from what could likely be her and her companions demise. Her words carry over the gunfire and keep the two hands from fleeing. One of them aims his pistol and shoots a rider from his saddle. The other is a little shaky and nearly shoots his own foot off as he fires his pistol into the ground at his feet.

From behind the campfire the other hands can be heard barking orders and cajoling the herd into staying put.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archibald fires again and the rider slumps and falls from his saddle. The Englishman makes the mistake of thinking the battle is in hand as his gunfire and shouts have drawn the walking dead right to him. He is able to fend off two of the zombies but the last one is able to claw Archibald before he can get his rifle up to parry.
Archibald
8 Damage so you are Shaken
Jack readies his shotgun. The street howitzer ready to cut down anything that comes within range. To his horror however, what comes out of the dark is what nightmares are made of, it’ not possible...they are dead...yet they are about to overrun Archibald!
Jack
Need a Guts check Area Fear Level 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All
For clarification. You can see anything right on top of you but still suffer the -2 darkness penalty to trait rolls. Within 5 squares you need a notice check (do not apply darkness penalty) to see it but suffer the -2 darkness penalty to subsequent trait rolls. Anything further requires a raise on Notice (again no penalty) with the darkness penalty on subsequent trait rolls if you succeed. The red circle is the light cast by the campfire. No penalty within it.
Map

Action Cards
Abby: 10D
Archibald: KD
Black Dog: KC
Bishop: QH
Hope: 2D
Jack: 8S
Javier: 6D
John: 9H
Outlaw Riders: JD
Ranch Hands: 3H
Zombies: 3C

What are you doing?
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 2

The fight was engaged. The fire line didn’t go off for some reason, and Hope was a bit worried about Archibald and Jack because of it. But those at the fire had their own problems. Hope dropped prone for a bit of extra protection besides the blessings she had on her. She leveled her shotgun at the outlaw nearest Abby and the horses and fired.
Shooting 8; Raise
+2 shotgun
Shooting [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Damage 21
[dice]2[/dice]
Ace [dice]3[/dice]
Character Tracker
Prone: -2 cover
Deflection: -4 to hit, +4 Armor vs. AOE (1r)
Armor (Raise): +4 Toughness (now 10)(2r)
Ammo: Shotgun (1/2; 20); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 4W 1R/3
Adventure Card:
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

notice
[dice]0[/dice]
wild dice [dice]1[/dice]

As the fire finally erupted, John scanned the area as best he could for the Injun, but could see nothing. As such, his first thought was to protect those retreating from the fire if anybody got close. If that wasn't a problem, then he would put down a rider, hopefully in such a way to block some of the zombies and maybe distract them with something to eat.
OOC Comments
Assuming with a roll like that, unless the Injun was right in the main group, John doesn't spot Black Dog

Shooting
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice] AP 2
Raise [dice]5[/dice]
OOC Comments

Lame

Jack

Post by Jack »

notice
Notice[dice]0[/dice]
WIld[dice]1[/dice]
Guts
Guts[dice]2[/dice]
Wild[dice]3[/dice]
Blue_Chip[dice]10[/dice]
Where is that fire? What is Archibald waiting on? What was that, shots form camp, they are past the oil, I need to....What is that? There really are walking dead, it wasn't a story and they are swarming Archibald.

Jack shakes off the momentary shock of seeing a dead person walking and acts. Archibald is in trouble so Jack moves beside Archibald and fires into the closest "Thing".
As Jack fires off his one Barrell, he blasts torso of the Thing into oblivion.

(I will move to the square just above Archibald and fire at the the top undead.)
Shooting
Shooting[dice]4[/dice]
Wild[dice]5[/dice]
Explosion[dice]7[/dice]
Damage[dice]6[/dice]
Exploded_Damage_Die[dice]8[/dice]
Bonus_Dmg_Die_Raise[dice]9[/dice]
16 to hit 22 damage
Last edited by Jack on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature
Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 4
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
"Blast!" Archibald curses as the animate deceased close on him, thankfully only one of the corpses land a hit on him and even then it more winded the British officer than hurt. He blames the flash from his rifle half-blinding him and thus resulted in not noticing just how close their foes were getting. Thankfully the walking dead were in his firetrap, so he threw his lit pipe towards it and retreated back to the camp fire. He called to his comrade lurking on the other side of the boulder. "Jack! Fall-back!"

He slings his rifle over his shoulder and readies himself to draw his sabre.
Actions
Spending a White Benny to remove Shaken.

Throw lit pipe at the oil, not sure if I need Throwing or not...doing so just in case.

Throwing (untrained) [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

White Benny to re-roll.

Throwing [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]

White Benny to re-roll.

Throwing [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]7[/dice]

Wild Explodes [dice]8[/dice]

TOTAL: 7

Archie will take the most direct route to the camp fire, switching weapons from rifle to sword as he does so.
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Notice
Notice[dice]0[/dice]
Ace[dice]2[/dice]
Ace[dice]4[/dice]
Wild[dice]1[/dice]
Ace[dice]3[/dice]
This time Bishop can see the bad guys in front of her and swiftly pulls back her bowstring to send out another burst of arrows.
Shooting and Hexslinging
Shooting[dice]5[/dice]
Wild[dice]6[/dice]
Hexslinging[dice]7[/dice]
Wild[dice]8[/dice]
Damage[dice]9[/dice]
She sees some connect and gets a vicious grin. She doesn’t enjoy killing but knows that every bit of damage she does means her friends and their coworkers and cattle are a little bit safer.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:47 PM

Archibald manages to extract himself from the zombies. Tossing his pipe in an attempt to light the oil, Archibald misses and throws it right into one of the walking dead. Fortunately, being dead affects your reasoning and the zombie brushes the pipe aside right into the pool of oil. The wall of fire goes up and immolates him, but the burning walking dead stumbles out of the flames now on fire.

The Englishman then tries to retreat from the walking dead but one of them connects with a wild swing and causes Archibald to stumble.
Archibald
One of the zombies connected while you were retreating and you are shaken

The gunfire reveals the outlaws’ position to Bishop and she draws her bow again infusing it with arcane power. As the arrow flies, it bursts in a rain of death peppering the outlaws just as the light from the burning oil illuminates the area and showing the grisly results. Three of the horses and two of the riders are immediately cut down. The third rider manages to come through unscathed but he is unable to control his horse as it rears up and topples on top of him. One thousand pounds of equine finishing the job.

The remaining riders behind the wall of flames fire another volley before turning tail and riding off into the darkness. Most of the shots zip by Johna and Bishop with one managing to graze Bishop but causing no damage.

‘We’re beat boys! Vermillion ain’t payin’ us enough for this!”

The outlaws around the fire again at the Lazy S cowboys and Hope. The shots seem to bend around Hope but the hands are not so lucky. Both are cut down by the hail of fire.

Abby continues to do what she can to keep the horses under control. Devil Eyes is now getting restless, especially seeing his rider get fired upon. All of the horses are now trotting in a circle in the small corral.

John searches for the shaman but he is nowhere to be found once the are is lit up. Oddly enough, an owl flies over the box canyon. While owls are common in the area, one flying over during a gunfight is highly unusual. John refocuses and shoots one of the outlaws still attacking those around the cookfire. The outlaw doubles over on his horse but does not go down.

Jack swallows the fear that wells up inside him. He has no idea what the heck is wrong with these men. Could John have been right? Is it the dead come back? Whatever it was, it does not survive the blast from the shotgun. The thing is blasted all over the prairie.

Javier smoothly ejects the massive .45-110 shell and loads another. Firing the rifle again takes out another outlaw.

The hands still on the herd are also doing their best to keep things under control. The cattle are mooing and starting to get restless and their is a hint of fear and desperation.

The flaming zombie lurches forward and stumbles forward into the cookfire light. Abby is too busy with the horses and does not notice the flaming dead. Javier gasps but keeps it together.

Santa madre de Cristo!”
Hope
Hope I need a Guts check ast -2 for the Fear Level

Hope sees the flaming...man?...enter the firelight but is able to squeezes both triggers on the shotgun cutting down both rider and horse with a spray of buckshot.

The remaining zombie growls and focuses on Jack. It staggers forward with ragged fingernails that might as well be claws but is unable to connect with the gunsmith.
All
Everything within a red circle is illuminated.

Map

Action Cards
Abby: 10S
Archibald: JC
Black Dog: QD
Bishop: 5H
Hope:Joker!
Jack: KD
Javier: KC
John: 10D
Outlaw Rider: QH
Ranch Hands: 2D
Zombies: 8S

What are you doing?
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 8
OOC Comments
Wild dice 1 ace 4
John sees the owl flying overhead, seemingly unbothered, but after a little bit of thought, that did not seem right. He'd heard tell of various tales involving animals and a lot of those were not good.

Knowledge occult 8
OOC Comments
benny Extra effort 5
"Bishop, ignore those running away. Take down anything near the herd and our people, then concentrate on any remaining zombies." John half orders, half suggests to Bishop

Tracking the movements of the Owl, he raises his rifle and fires; my apologies Bird if you are not a problem.

Shooting 10 Damage 8 or 11 with raise
OOC Comments
7 Ace 9 - roll has not taken into account
8 AP2
Raise damage if applicable 10
OOC Comments

Lame

Jack

Post by Jack »

Shooting
Shooting0
Wild1
Damage2
Shooting_5_Damage_8
Jack, just barely dodging the attack of the "Thing", raises his Shotgun and lets loose with the other barrel striking "it" in the chest.

After firing off the last cartridge, Jack drops the gun and draws his Mini Shotgun.
Signature
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 3

Hope sees the shambling undead. It is odd. She should feel revulsion, even fear, but all she feels is a calm inner peace as she fires the second barrel of her shotgun into the remaining Vermillion boy just inside the ring of firelight from the campfire.

Guts 15
-2 Fear level
Guts [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:0[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Wild [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:1[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Ace [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:2[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Ace [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:3[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Shooting 10; Raise
+2 shotgun, Joker +2
Shooting [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:4[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Wild [dice:oa6dme4y]42281:5[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Damage 12
+1d6 Raise, +2 Joker
[dice:oa6dme4y]42281:6[/dice:oa6dme4y]
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Notice 4
Notice[dice:zx85w8ho]42380:0[/dice:zx85w8ho]
Wild[dice:zx85w8ho]42380:1[/dice:zx85w8ho]
Bishop sees the last undead go down and surveys her surroundings, looking for more threats. I’d say we did pretty darn well in this tussle. Zombies sneaking around after dark and we still came out on top. I hope we didn’t lose anyone though. I’ve been so focused on shooting I don’t actually know for sure what losses we may have sustained.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jack surveys the area and reloads his gun. Not seeing anymore threats, he heads out to the dead cowboys and begins gathering weapons, ammunition and searches the dead bodies for identification, money, letters of employment. (hoping for evidence to use against their employer).

After searching the dead Humans, he will take everything he finds and head back to the campfire.

Well, it is very obvious that my double barrel will be useless in this wide open land, hopefully, one of these cowboys has a decent rifle I can have.
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:49 PM

Hope ignores the flaming man??..undead?... and unloads into the last outlaw and he goes down for good. Her shot is followed up by another that leaves her ears ringing as Javier takes down the flaming zombie.

Jack fires at the zombie still facing him and Archibald and the thing does not go down! After taking a load of buckshot to the chest, the thing is still coming! But then Archibald recovers and steps in to viciously hack the thing down.

John’s instincts prove right as he takes aim at the owl, it transforms into Black Dog and the shaman begins chanting. Whatever he is doing isn’t good and John’s bullet catches him in the shoulder. The indian grunts and ends his chant with a savage cry. He turns and the look he gives John is one of pure hatred. He then smiles and steps into the shadows and a few seconds later a coyote can be heard yipping in the darkness.

Unfortunately whatever he did has had an effect. Five of the hands are screaming in terror and two others are doing what they can to get spooked mounts under control. Worse yet, the herd is panicked as well. The remaining hands can’t keep the cattle under control and they begin to stampede.

Bishop looks down in horror to what was a moment ago a clear victory, but now is deadly chaos.
All
We’ll let Archibald get in an action before the herd stampedes and then I’ll post a ‘quick combat/chase’ scene where you all can try and get the herd back under control.
What are you doing?
Archibald Ellsworth

"Taste British steel fiend!" Archibald cries after drawing his sword and taking a swing with it, hoping that it connects and strikes down the abomination.
Actions
Doing Fighting attack with Sabre.

Fighting [dice:295x5rwu]42426:0[/dice:295x5rwu]
Wild [dice:295x5rwu]42426:1[/dice:295x5rwu]

Spending RED benny to re-roll.

Fighting [dice:295x5rwu]42426:2[/dice:295x5rwu]
Wild [dice:295x5rwu]42426:3[/dice:295x5rwu]

Damage [dice:295x5rwu]42426:4[/dice:295x5rwu]

Damage Explodes [dice:295x5rwu]42426:5[/dice:295x5rwu]

Total: 20
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:50 PM

The Situation: Black Dog did something to spook the herd and the horses and they are going to stampede. Whatever it was also caused all but two ranch hands that survived the gunfight still desperately trying to keep the herd under control.

Dramatic Task: Help get things under control with as little loss as possible to both yourselves, the hands, Abby, Javier, the horses and the herd.

The herd will kill themselves trying to force through the narrow opening at the north end of the canyon so will turn and try to go the other way where they will see fire, bodies, spooked horses and you. This will cause them to turn back around and head north once again...until they get clogged up and turn around again. In essence, you have 5 rounds before they just run around in the canyon trampling everything. An action card of clubs causes a complication.

You have three options:
  1. You can get up to where John and Bishop are and do nothing, letting them run around destroying the supply wagon and most likely injure and kill each other along with the horses. You’ll live, and maybe you will salvage something but you’d likely need to turn around and declare the drive a bust. This requires an agility check at a -2 for Hope, Jack, and Archibald and requires just one success. A failure on this Agility check means you cannot make it to safety that round. Maybe Javier, Abby, and the cowboys will make it too…..
  1. Put out the fire. This will cause the herd to bolt out of the canyon and you’ll spend the rest of the spring rounding them up across the prairie. Again the drive will be a bust. This requires 7 successful Vigor checks at a -2 as you fight smoke inhalation and the heat of the flames. Each raise on the check counts as an additional success. Everyone besides Jack and Archibald needs an Agility check (this is part of a move so you can still take the action to put out the fire) at a -2 on the first round to get to the fire. A failure on the Agility check means you cannot get to the fire that round.
  1. Mount up and ride around the herd until they tire and calm down. This requires 8 successful Spirit (you can use Persuasion and Intimidate as well) checks (2 for each side of a square) at -2 to with each raise also counting as a success. Everyone besides John and Bishop have horses near by. John and Bishop need to make the Agility checks at -2 to get to the horses as part of their move. Failure means you cannot get to them that round.

Action cards (only for complications):
Abby 7C - Abby falls amongst the horses and will be trampled next round unless someone uses their action (John and Bishop still need the Agility check to get to her) to help her--just Rping this is a success.
Archibald 3H
Bishop 5H
Hands Kh
Hope 7S
Jack KC Jack is at an additional -2 this round. A roll of a one on his check means he will be battered by stampeding cows.
Javier KD
John 10D

What are you doing?
Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 15
Notice [dice:28lgudnz]42858:0[/dice:28lgudnz]
Wild [dice:28lgudnz]42858:1[/dice:28lgudnz]

Notice Explodes [dice:28lgudnz]42858:2[/dice:28lgudnz]
Wild Explodes [dice:28lgudnz]42858:3[/dice:28lgudnz]

Notice Explodes Again [dice:28lgudnz]42858:4[/dice:28lgudnz]
"Mr Wagner!" Archibald calls out to Jack as he makes for the horses. "Keep a sharp eye out! I'll help with the herd!"

As he draws near to the horses, he could see that they were beginning to panic...somebody lying on the ground amidst them!

"Whoa! Whoa! Easy now!" He calls to the horses, hoping the phrase he'd heard from the ranch hands was enough to help calm them now. He then lies who it is lying on the ground groaning. "Miss Morton!"

Putting his own safety to one side, he dashes in to help Abby to her feet and half-carries her away from the spooked horses. Once they'd reached a safe spot, he asks her. "Miss Morton, are you hurt? Is there anything else I can do?"
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Agility
Agility[dice:lepbouom]42867:0[/dice:lepbouom]
Wild[dice:lepbouom]42867:1[/dice:lepbouom]
Bishop can’t get to a horse in the chaos and curses up a blue streak. She’s thankful at least to see that the good captain has rescued Abby. After her premature celebration of victory she’s even more on edge that she would be otherwise and couldn’t stand to see a friend get trampled.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 1

Hope jammed new rounds into her shotgun as the heard started to stampede. She gave a sharp whistle and Devil Eyes cantered up. “We need to get this herd under control,” Hope told her horse, pulling on the reins to go galloping up one side of the herd.

“Ho now! Calm!” Hope called, offering a bit of prayer for help as she worked.
Persuasion 15; 3 successes
-2 difficulty
Persuasion [dice:87b6seie]43104:0[/dice:87b6seie]
Wild [dice:87b6seie]43104:1[/dice:87b6seie]
Ace [dice:87b6seie]43104:2[/dice:87b6seie]
Ace [dice:87b6seie]43104:3[/dice:87b6seie]
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Archibald Ellsworth wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:57 am
"Mr Wagner!" Archibald calls out to Jack as he makes for the horses. "Keep a sharp eye out! I'll help with the herd!"
Notice
Notice[dice:v58miwz1]43325:0[/dice:v58miwz1]
Wild[dice:v58miwz1]43325:1[/dice:v58miwz1]
Exploded_Wild[dice:v58miwz1]43325:3[/dice:v58miwz1]
Exploded_Wild[dice:v58miwz1]43325:5[/dice:v58miwz1]
Notice_15
Jack turns and sees Archibald making for his horse.

Oh, this ought to be fun. Fire, rocks and me, lovely targets for them.

Jack turns and mounts his horse, and rides around the rock hoping not to get stampeded by the herd. He will ready his lasso in case the herd breaks through the gap and hope to catch the leader to turn them around.
Riding
Riding[dice:v58miwz1]43325:2[/dice:v58miwz1]
WIld[dice:v58miwz1]43325:4[/dice:v58miwz1]
Exploded_Wild[dice:v58miwz1]43325:6[/dice:v58miwz1]
Riding_10
Signature
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 3
OOC Comments
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:0[/dice:3mt8qzey]
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:1[/dice:3mt8qzey]
Oblivious to the danger he was placing himself into, John was not going to abandon anybody.
His horse was amongst the animals starting to panic by getting caught up in the situation and starting to move towards the fire. With his leg the way it was, there was no way that he was going to be able to run down and catch her. However, being up high, he had an idea.

Agility 17
OOC Comments
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:2[/dice:3mt8qzey]
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:3[/dice:3mt8qzey] ace [dice:3mt8qzey]43337:4[/dice:3mt8qzey] ace [dice:3mt8qzey]43337:7[/dice:3mt8qzey] ace [dice:3mt8qzey]43337:8[/dice:3mt8qzey]

He dropped deftly onto his horse as if he was just sitting down to eat and pulled her up.
"Whoa girl, lets go round up these cattle."

This wasn't John's first rodeo as he rode around, getting the cattle to follow him, keeping the circle wide enough to prevent the cattle from crushing each other.

Spirit 12 3 successes
OOC Comments
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:5[/dice:3mt8qzey]
[dice:3mt8qzey]43337:6[/dice:3mt8qzey]
benny for extra effort [dice:3mt8qzey]43337:9[/dice:3mt8qzey] ace [dice:3mt8qzey]43337:10[/dice:3mt8qzey]
Just hit veteran so raised my spirit to d8
OOC Comments

Lame

MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 8:52 PM

Archibald gets to Abby and helps her up. Everyone going for horses helps in making sure neither of them get kicked or stomped. Abby is a little battered but appears no worse for wear.

“Thank you, sir. We gotta get this under control. It’s all my uncle has...we can’t let him down…”

Devil Eyes cuts through the chaos and gallops up to Hope. he snorts in seemingly annoyance at the situation and lets her climb up bareback. It’s uncertain whether its the Divine influence the red-haired woman wields or the possible demon possessing that horse that gets the job done, but the two manage to secure the east flank and part of the north one as well.

John moves like a seasoned cowboy with skills you only read about in the dime novels. He leaps down from the rocky ledge onto his horse and immediately gets the west and the rest of the north flank under control.

Bishop isn’t so lucky. Her horse does not oblige her and it will take a little more effort to get to him. The hexslinger manages to scrabble down from the ledge but the herd keeps her from going any further.

Jack manages to grab an outlaw’s abandoned and wandering horse. Mounting up, he rides to see what he can do to help. As the smoke clears, it looks like John and Hope with a little help from the hands have three of the four sides of the herd under control. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the side not under control is the one he is on.

Action cards (only for complications):
Abby H
Archibald D
Bishop S
Hands D
Hope H
Jack D
Javier R
John H

No complications this round!

What are you doing?
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 6
OOC Comments
[dice:2us0r9we]43448:0[/dice:2us0r9we]
[dice:2us0r9we]43448:1[/dice:2us0r9we]
Noticing that some of the cattle were still errant, John increased his circle to include more cattle to take up the slack.

Spirit 5 1 success
OOC Comments
[dice:2us0r9we]43448:2[/dice:2us0r9we]
[dice:2us0r9we]43448:3[/dice:2us0r9we]
OOC Comments

Lame

Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 5
Notice [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:0[/dice:2jp0b82z]
Wild [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:1[/dice:2jp0b82z]
Muskrat Jack wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 amArchibald gets to Abby and helps her up. Everyone going for horses helps in making sure neither of them get kicked or stomped. Abby is a little battered but appears no worse for wear.

“Thank you, sir. We gotta get this under control. It’s all my uncle has...we can’t let him down…”
"My pleasure Miss Morton." Archibald said as he handed Abby the reins of one of the horses. "Then it sounds like we have some work to do, shall we?"

He mounts his own horse and then rides to give Jack some assistance with the south flank of the herd.
Spirit 6, 1 success
Spirit [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:2[/dice:2jp0b82z]
Wild [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:3[/dice:2jp0b82z]

Spend Benny to reroll.

Spirit [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:4[/dice:2jp0b82z]
Wild [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:5[/dice:2jp0b82z] Wild Aces [dice:2jp0b82z]43514:6[/dice:2jp0b82z]
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

April 21st 1880 11:10 PM

John wonders how long they can keep this up when a couple of the lost hands decide to finally show up and take over getting the herd back under control. John eases his horse down to a trot and gets out of their way.

Hope looks out at the surging mass of cattle. Her control on the east flank tenuous at best. With Archibald and John on the other side, she was the lone rider keeping the herd from stampeding in her direction.

“Hah! Yah!”

Out of the dust, smoke, and darkness as rider bolts past Hope. Devil Eyes whinnies in annoyance and remains calm but the red-haired woman still nearly falls awkwardly saving herself by wrapping her arms and legs around the massive horse’s neck. A glimpse at the rider’s broad shoulders told her everything. Luke had returned. Relief, however, is quickly replaced by embarrassment and annoyance as his waiting to yell until he was right behind her was probably on purpose.

Jack sees the herd coming for him, but John and Archibald cross in front of him and divert the herd. He trots back and forth on the outlaw’s horse getting the animal used to him when from behind comes a familiar voice.

“Looks like you all had some trouble while we were gone. Interested to hear about it.”

Bill rides up alongside the gunsmith and the two watch as Luke gets the herd...and the hands under control.

After a while, things are calm enough for everyone to gather around Javier and the wagon. Somehow, the cook has managed to whip up a pot of coffee (and tea for Archibald) and some stew.

Bill lets each of you have a moment of respite Before he looks at all of you expectantly to tell him what happened.
All
Last post of this thread. Respond as you wish and also see the interlude opportunity for +1XP!
What are you doing?
Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 5
Notice [dice:btcg0k1z]43869:0[/dice:btcg0k1z]
Wild [dice:btcg0k1z]43869:1[/dice:btcg0k1z]
"Mr Ortega, much appreciated." Archibald says when he learns that Javier had whipped up a cup of tea, though it turned out to be too weak for the Englishman's liking. However, Archibald suspected that the Mexican cook harboured some resentment for the oil that Archibald had requisitioned for the fire pit despite a vow to replenish the cook's stock. So Archibald drank the tea anyway.

Turning to bill, Archibald replied. "Yes, we did have a spot of bother."

"Those railway ruffians sought to do us some mischief, but thanks to Miss Bishop and Mr Baxter here we were able to catch the scoundrels unawares."
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

In a Canyon
Approaching Evening
Round 0

Hope gave Luke a bit of a scowl at the start, but managed to remain seated atop Devil Eyes. “Good boy,” she praised the horse, patting his neck. She dug around in her bag and found a carrot to feed him after she dismounted, letting Luke and the hands deal with the herd. She rejoined the others at the fire after securing the horse, gratefully taking the coffee.

“Zombies,” Hope told Bill angrily. “That damn Indian had undead bolstering those railway men!”
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice
[dice:8fsdy0d6]43897:0[/dice:8fsdy0d6]
[dice:8fsdy0d6]43897:1[/dice:8fsdy0d6]

"Mr Sutter, welcome back in just the knick of time I would say." John calls over as he lets the hands take over.

"We spotted something trailing us, so Miss Bishop and I went to check it out and found we were being followed by Bayou Vermillion forces, a mixture of hired guns, the walking dead and your old acquaintance Black Dog . We were able to hightail back here in time to warn everyone that an ambush was planned at this location it turns out. We were able to defeat this ambush and with your timely return, prevent the cattle from panicking and disappearing across the land."
OOC Comments

Lame

Jack

Post by Jack »

Jack pauses after the herd is all calmed down. Wow, I have never thought there could be this much excitement or danger. Jack rides over and gather up as many Rifles then Pistols as he can. Then he rides over tothe wagon with the weapons. Jack thinks to himself. While he gets down off his mount at the Wagon, he pulls out his pipe and lights it up. He stands there for a few moments enjoying the aroma of his freshly lit pipe and enjoying himself for a few minutes.

"Well, that was interesting. Now that we know we are definately being followed, and in danger, do we change our plans at all or continue as planned.
OOC Comments
How many and what kinds of weapons were able to be retrieved? How much ammunition?
Signature
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by MJH »

You manage to gather 6 Colt Peacemakers (Double Action). The rest either fled with the outlaws or were trampled by the herd.

You also manage to get two double barrel shotguns and three '76 rifles. Those are from the dead horses or horses you managed to corral before they fled.

Jack notes very quickly that it is all El Cheapo gear, however. Still, good for parts and there is roughly 300 rounds of .45 colt ammunition to be had from gun belts and saddle bags.
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bishop »

Bishop drinks her coffee quietly and wonders what other horrors they will face on this drive. So far there have been bad men, an evil shaman, and zombies. And that’s before really even getting going too far. It’s a relief to know her plan to use the drive as an opportunity to train up her skills seems like it will work and that she’s surrounded by people who seem to know what they’re doing.
OOC Comments
Sorry if this doesn’t make sense. I’m running on no sleep and doped up on meds so while I think this is cohesive it might not be.

No worries at all! It's in character since Bishop did not get much sleep either!
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Action Cards:
Character Sheet
Signature

Return to “Adventure Forum”