Date: Saturday, 22 February 2020
Time: 5:00 PM
Weather: Normal for season (cold); no wind; light snow
Scene Modifiers
  • Light: Dusk; Dim -2 (outside)
  • Visibility: Clear
Round 0

For those following the FBI lead.

Special Agent Annika Whitaker sat in a back booth at the diner, staring out the window at the light snow that had started to fall, dusting the Chicago streets. Long, delicate fingers wrapped around a cup of coffee, and she sipped it. She was tall and slender in her government black suit, though her blouse was scarlet. Her long black hair was pulled back into a ponytail and her blue eyes scanned the fading sun outside. She returned her attention to the book she was reading, The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane, the means by which The Professor’s agent would identify her.
Leads
West side neighborhood hardware store. (Tres Reyes territory)
Warehouse (Tres Reyes territory)
Bomber at The Block - might be difficult to get on site permission, but could possibly try and find the report of what happened
Null - contact in the Chicago FBI field office

Team:
Cailean Blythe/Highlander
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Katherine “Kat” Wilhelm/Hexx
Constance Abels/Chance
Shanice Walker/Winger
David Stevedores/Sir Real

GM Bennies: 6/6
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Buffy Laskaris

Re: 2.32 The FBI

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Constance spotted the book as she glanced around the diner, so she went over to the table and slid in across from the woman seated there.

"Hey," she said, nodding. "Nice book. What's your favorite part?"

"I think I like when Henry...teams up to find a dangerous outlaw." She waggled her eyebrows.
David “Sir Real”

Post by David “Sir Real” »

David followed up behind Constance before sitting besides her and placing his briefcase upon the table. “I can’t imagine that’s in reference to us is it?” He said before he opened the case to pull out a note pad and pencil. “I’m the new guy by the way so I hope you don’t mind me taking notes...”
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Spirit 5
Spirit [dice:2h8gur5k]66304:0[/dice:2h8gur5k]
Wild [dice:2h8gur5k]66304:1[/dice:2h8gur5k]
Time: 5:05 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

Annika smiled across the table at the two teenagers. “Yes, he teams up to fight crime,” she replied to Constance. “And feel free to take some notes, David. Though this meeting is just about two students at my high school alma mater wanting some career advice on how to get into law enforcement.” She put the book down. “I am Special Agent Annika Whitaker,” she introduced herself. “What do you want to know?”

[Each of you needs to make a Spirit roll TN 5, or you feel your powers inaccessible.]
Leads
Bomber at The Block - might be difficult to get on site permission, but could possibly try and find the report of what happened

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance
Shanice Walker/Winger

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

Spirit [dice:1vkc2bk8]66323:0[/dice:1vkc2bk8]
Wild [dice:1vkc2bk8]66323:1[/dice:1vkc2bk8]

David clutched his chest as he could no longer feel his peace maker and it sent him into a slight panic. Always being able to feel it made it seem even more apart of him than it already was, like an arm or leg, and suddenly not feeling it was comparable to his arm suddenly not being attached to his body. He looked up at the two of him before he forced his hand back down and tried to put the thought out of his head “sorry...peace maker...” He hoped to focus on the briefing to distract him self, and reserved him self to let the more experienced one lead. However he also lined up the standard small talk questions. Like “I got it after I got struck by lighting” or “no I can’t live without it” or even the occasional “no this is not a devil worshiping machine, what’s wrong with you?”
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Chance's eyes narrowed, and she glanced around the room quickly. This wasn't her first time on the other end of something suppressing her powers, and sad to say she had a bit of experience trying to push past it. The feeling was like having weights tied to her brain, but after a moment of concentration she could feel herself starting to compensate.

"Okay, not off to a great start," she said. "What gives, I thought you were on our side?"

She reached out to put a hand on David's shoulder.

"Look, we're after the bastard who tried to bomb the assembly, okay? I know you guys are after him too. I figured we could help each other out. Unofficially, of course. But whatever...thing you're doing to mess with us, stop it. You're making us sitting ducks."

Of course, she wasn't...Chance was pretty sure she could still use her powers...but there was no reason to let her know that little detail. Not until it was clearer just what she was up to.

Rolls
Spirit 1d6!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6+1: [6]+1 = 7
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 5:30 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

“Ease up. If I wasn’t on your side, I wouldn’t be here,” Agent Whitaker said. “You going to be okay?” she asked David.

Annika turned her attention back to Constance. “I apologize, but I can’t turn it off,” she said. “It’s what I do, though my ability isn’t as flashy as yours likely are.” She took in the two teenagers.

“We are, of course, after the bomber,” Whitaker admitted. “What do you want to know?”
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance
Shanice Walker/Winger

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

David nodded after he was sure he was going to be ok. He hadn’t fainted at least so, something must be still right. “I should be fine, also I’m just now entering the investigation so sorry if I have any stupid questions”
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 5:40 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

“I should be fine,” David said. “Also, I’m just now entering the investigation, so sorry if I have any stupid questions.”

“No stupid questions,” Annika said. “Only questions you don’t have answers for yet. So what questions did you have?” She looked at Constance and David expectantly.
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Bennies: 5/5
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

“Do you have any ideas about the make of the bomb. For example any tell tale design features that stand out among other bombs?”
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Constance nods at that and says, "That's a good start but...here's the thing. We found a few leads nosing around, but we don't really know what to ask for yet. In fact, here..."

She holds out a manilla folder with some papers in it.

"One of your guys left this in the backroom of a club. I think it's photocopied from the actual report, but still... The point is that I'm not just looking for tips here. I want to actually work together. We let you in on the leads we found, keep you in the loop, all that kind of thing, and in return you let us in on what you know, what you're following up on. Heck, we can probably help. I can get in and out of places without anyone ever even seeing me."

"What do you say?"
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 5:45 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 1

“Do you have any ideas about the make of the bomb. For example any tell tale design features that stand out among other bombs?” David asked.

“Other than the symbol of Mask stamped onto it?” Annika asked. “You were there at the video. It wasn’t exactly...subtle.”

"One of your guys left this in the backroom of a club. I think it's photocopied from the actual report, but still... The point is that I'm not just looking for tips here. I want to actually work together. We let you in on the leads we found, keep you in the loop, all that kind of thing, and in return you let us in on what you know, what you're following up on. Heck, we can probably help. I can get in and out of places without anyone ever even seeing me," Constance said.

Annika raised an eyebrow and took the folder. “This could get someone in a lot of trouble,” she said, flipping through the contents. She looked up at Constance and David. “You’re just kids, and I know you’re...special, but putting kids in danger…” She shook her head.
Instructions
Let’s do a Social Conflict here, too! You can review the rules on page 145 of SWADE. You have 3 rounds to gain Influence Tokens. Rolls are made at +1 for Agent Whitaker being associated with the Academy.

Tokens earned: 0
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

Wild and common knowledge dice 2d6: [2, 4] = 6

“I also doubt you expect us to just sit by and let preventable things happen. To live with the guilt of knowing we could have done something but didn’t? Some people can live with that but I can’t”

Persuasion/wild die
2d6: [2, 4] = 6
Dice rolls
2d6: [5, 2] = 7
Last edited by David “Sir Real” on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"We're already in danger," Constance points out, pouncing on Null's indecision. "That bomb was sent to us, remember? I mean, not us PERSONALLY, but still...kids are on the front line right now and you can't change that. All you can do is give us the edge we need to get through this. Besides, you know we can help. Heck, this thing I found could mean you've got a mole. Someone had to leak those reports."

Rolls: Persuasion 6
Persuasion 1d6!!+1: [5]+1 = 6 Wild 1d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 5:55 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 2

Annika considered what Constance and David said. “How long have you been at the school?” she asked. “How much training have you gotten? I want to make sure you’re at least competent. To sooth my conscience, if I give you this information.” She seemed to be coming around a little.
Instructions
Round 2 of the Social Conflict. You can review the rules on page 145 of SWADE. You have 3 rounds to gain Influence Tokens. Rolls are made at +1 for Annika’s ties to the Academy.

Tokens earned: 4
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

Wild (forgot +1) 1d6: [2] = 2
Persuasion 1d6+1: [4]+1 = 5
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"Ahh, okay, well...we can ask Nexus about how competent I am," Constance replied, sitting back in her seat a little. "Considering that I had to fight my way out of one of their bases to even get to the school in the first place."

"So, no I haven't been enrolled long, but it was a hell of an entrance exam. Look, even kept the graduation photos."

She dug out her cellphone and flipped across to the images she'd taken in the Nexus facility, then showed them to Annika.

"We're not going to not look for this guy if you don't tell us," Constance goes on. "Anything you can give us will make us more safe, not less."

Rolls: Persuasion 10 (might be 11 if Sir Real's roll was support)
Persuasion 1d6!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

David taps chance’s shoulder before leaning over “do I have to take an exam like that as well or is the current situation too important to divert resources?”
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 6:00 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 3

Annika looked a bit surprised, and swiped through the photos Constance shared. She seemed impressed. “So maybe you can take care of yourselves,” the FBI agent said. “Whare was that facility?” she queried. “Nexus is legal, so there isn’t much we can do about it, but I like to keep tabs on them,” she admitted.

((Last round for Social Combat. Take a +2 this round for showing the photos.))
Instructions
Round 3 of the Social Conflict. You can review the rules on page 145 of SWADE. You have 3 rounds to gain Influence Tokens. Rolls are made at +1 for Annika’s ties to the Academy.

Tokens earned: 6
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Bennies: 4/4
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

“I understand the talk and references but actions speak louder. We could commit a few simulated ops or do a few joint ops to prove our place. If you would like” although he immediately looks to the senior member as he wonders if he said something stupid without realizing

1d6+2: [6]+2 = 8
1d6+2: [1]+2 = 3
Ace
1d6+8: [3]+8 = 11
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 6:10 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

“No need to put yourselves in any more danger,” Special Agent Annika Whitaker told David. She pulled out a folder and slid it across the table to the two teenagers.

“To summarize, the Masked Hacker seems to be relatively new to the scene. We’re still trying to cross reference his details to any previous unsolved bombings. He seems to be working for Mask, so perhaps this is a new persona for an old hand. He seems to be running a Mad Hatter - Alice in Wonderland theme. But it means he earned some notoriety if Mask picked him up. It seems pretty clear that the attack on Guardian Tower was a distraction -- or perhaps opportunistic -- for the nearly simultaneous attack at The Block. That attack seems to have been meant to compromise security and allow the Masked Hacker access to the security system. We haven’t yet been able to tell the motive. Could have been a breakout, or could have just been meant to cause chaos. Either way, it succeeded. A number of enhanced individuals escaped The Block. Until things get more controlled there, we won’t have a final tally of just who.”

Annika paused in case they had any questions.
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

David wasn’t sure how he could continue as waited for the senior of them to lead. He did pull out his brief case and opened it in order to store the file if needed.
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Constance had her phone out quickly and took pictures of each page in the folder, unless of course Annika stopped her.

"And Mask...he's a pretty big deal, right? As terrorists go? I mean, I'm no expert but this whole thing feels like it's pretty complicated just to 'cause chaos.' There had to be something they were after. Or maybe someone."

She leaned back, eye still on the folder but not really seeing it as her brain worked. Breaking powered people out of superjail. If there'd been someone specific inside that they'd wanted, that was a pretty easy motive. Was it too easy? What else might they have been after in the Block's computers?

"Is The Block anything besides a super-prison?" Chance asked.
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 6:15 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

Annika didn’t move to stop Constance, though she did warn her she might not want to be caught with those pictures on her camera.

"And Mask...he's a pretty big deal, right? As terrorists go? I mean, I'm no expert but this whole thing feels like it's pretty complicated just to 'cause chaos.' There had to be something they were after. Or maybe someone."

“That is what we are thinking,” Annika allowed. “Mask is a serious international threat,” she told Constance. “They’re on everyone’s radar. The Guardians, the Peacers, everyone has dealt with them at one point or another. They want to burn the world down so they can build a new one on the ashes.”
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

David rose an eyebrow “burn the world? Any motivation we know about for why they think that’s a good idea”
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Constance sat back in her seat and rubbed her temple. Her thoughts were starting to circle around, end where they started without passing through new ground. Was she overthinking this?

"Okay. Lets say it's Mask. I...don't know where to go from there. I mean, what can we do that the Guardians or Peacers not do? Do you have anything we can use, or are we on our own?"
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Time: 6:20 PM
Scene Modifiers
Round 0

Annika leaned back in her seat and sipped her coffee. “The Guardians are busy with the fallout from The Block,” she said. “Lots of metas escaped. They’re going to have their hands full tracking them down. I’m sure they’ll look into the bombing at Guardian Tower, but they’re going to be distracted. This Masked Hacker is small fish compared to some of those in The Block, and we don’t have any leads on where he is at yet. I would say don’t sweat the big picture. Focus on what you have, on what you can do. You have a name. No reason you can’t try and find him.”
Leads

Team:
Samuel Franklin/Probe
Constance Abels/Chance

GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

David “Sir Real”

“Speaking of finding him. What are the parts of the bomb like? Chemical composition?” He thinks for a moment “I swear if it has trace nitroglycerin and there’s a local mine I’m going to punch him for the down the rabbit hole schtick.”

Return to “Adventure Forum”