Bio-Manipulation Adept Edge

Proposed Change to House Rules Proposal (Remember only GM Accounts may vote)

Approved (All Approved House Rules Are Subject to Play Pesting)
33%
Approved (For Limited Play Testing Only, Approval Required for Each Character)
No votes
Needs Work
33%
Disapproved
17%
Abstain
17%

Total votes: 6

Freemage
Savage Senior

Bio-Manipulation Adept Edge

Post by Freemage »

Please hold for final version
Out with the Old
Bio-Manipulation Adept [Professional]
Requirements: Danger Sense, Major Psionics, Psionics d8, Notice d8, Novice
Your character has become attuned to his inner might, able to use it to enhance his physiology at the speed of thought. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but may be activated as a free action: armor*, boost Trait, darksight, deflection, environmental protection, farsight, healing or warrior's gift. *If the armor Power is selected, it does not stack with worn Body Armor, but would stack with the sorts of armor Powers that do stack with Body Armor. The psychic must have the power to begin with, and this does not allow him to activate the power more than once in a round. This Edge affects both the regular and the Mega-Version of the selected Power, if the character has access to the Mega-Version.

Thanks to Soren for this one. I literally just included language from the Adept edge where he referenced it. I love it and want it. I have wanted this for a LONG time.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Tribe of One

Re: Bio-Manipulation Adept Edge

Post by Tribe of One »

This is 95 percent of the way there for me. I think the broader range of powers to choose from is fine, since you don't get the Adept ability to add AP to unarmed attacks. Normally I'd balk at allowing both armor and deflection -- both Adept and Cyber-Knights get one or the other, and we've continued that trend with things like the Psi-Slinger and Apok -- but the limitation that armor be trapped as physical, and not stack with worn body armor, reels it back in.

The only thing I'd do is add an "Edge tax" into the prerequisites, like Adept requires the (sort of suboptimal, but fluffy) Martial Artist Edge. Something related to knowledge of/connection to the body, perhaps, like Healer (which itself requires Spirit d8, which seems appropriate).
GM Bennies: 7/7
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Normal Adept requires: Novice, Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+, Fighting d8+

The Major Psionic requirement IS an Edge Tax for this variant, replacing the Fighting d8+ that is required for the regular version. Note that MjP is a Seasoned Edge--so if you don't take it at Creation, you have to take it at S1. That means you'd have to wait to take BioAdept until S2--and thereby, miss out on the Novice use of the Edge. So if you're not a Burster or Mind Melter, and you want full value, you have to throw down and use your two Hindrance Edges to get there (oh, and you'll need a d8+ Spirit and d6+ Smarts, to-boot). The only other exception is the PCO build where you get to drop a total of 4 initial Edges (and even then, you need to start with Spirit d8+).

I'm totally fine with the Mind Melter getting that love. And the Burster getting a ride-along is a price I'd be willing to pay.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote:Normal Adept requires: Novice, Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+, Fighting d8+

The Major Psionic requirement IS an Edge Tax for this variant, replacing the Fighting d8+ that is required for the regular version. Note that MjP is a Seasoned Edge--so if you don't take it at Creation, you have to take it at S1. That means you'd have to wait to take BioAdept until S2--and thereby, miss out on the Novice use of the Edge. So if you're not a Burster or Mind Melter, and you want full value, you have to throw down and use your two Hindrance Edges to get there (oh, and you'll need a d8+ Spirit and d6+ Smarts, to-boot). The only other exception is the PCO build where you get to drop a total of 4 initial Edges (and even then, you need to start with Spirit d8+).

I'm totally fine with the Mind Melter getting that love. And the Burster getting a ride-along is a price I'd be willing to pay.
Adept also requires Martial Arts. So there is already a Edge and Skill tax that needs to be maintained for constancy.

Also Adept can be taken at novice if you finagle the build. But you still do not get a free action until Seasoned.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I'd almost rather remove Major Psionic and add Healer instead. That makes it more accessible to non-Seasoned characters, but also requires a little diversification of ability that is appropriate to the theme. Major Psionic is an automatic selection for any psionic character (and many start with it as standard, anyway), so not really much of a tax.
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

I know this isn't an actual rule but I think it's just wrong to have an Edge where a pre-req is a higher rank than the edge it qualifies you for. If Major Psionics is a pre-req then this edge should at least be Seasoned as well. That is just too much metagaming for my liking. I saw this in the Psi Adept edge too which I hadn't noticed before. The Psi-Blade (a Seasoned Edge that has a pre-req of ANOTHER Seasoned edge) is the pre-req for Psi-Adept which is a Novice Edge. That's just using Born a Hero for the hard edges which makes this one a softball. Nope. That's just borked. I can't find an edge chain in any setting that follows this pattern.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Radecliffe wrote:I know this isn't an actual rule but I think it's just wrong to have an Edge where a pre-req is a higher rank than the edge it qualifies you for. If Major Psionics is a pre-req then this edge should at least be Seasoned as well. That is just too much metagaming for my liking. I saw this in the Psi Adept edge too which I hadn't noticed before. The Psi-Blade (a Seasoned Edge that has a pre-req of ANOTHER Seasoned edge) is the pre-req for Psi-Adept which is a Novice Edge. That's just using Born a Hero for the hard edges which makes this one a softball. Nope. That's just borked. I can't find an edge chain in any setting that follows this pattern.
I think you have a valid point.

PS: I do not think Major Psionic needs to be a requirement. Because Major and Master are about power, while this is about finesse.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

This edge is about learning the same kind of abilities that a cyber knight learns regarding the mind-body link just without all the other trappings, benefits and complications.
Radecliffe

Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Radecliffe wrote:I know this isn't an actual rule but I think it's just wrong to have an Edge where a pre-req is a higher rank than the edge it qualifies you for. If Major Psionics is a pre-req then this edge should at least be Seasoned as well. That is just too much metagaming for my liking. I saw this in the Psi Adept edge too which I hadn't noticed before. The Psi-Blade (a Seasoned Edge that has a pre-req of ANOTHER Seasoned edge) is the pre-req for Psi-Adept which is a Novice Edge. That's just using Born a Hero for the hard edges which makes this one a softball. Nope. That's just borked. I can't find an edge chain in any setting that follows this pattern.
I don't think anyone brought up that particular point then, but the reasons for doing it that way were two-fold: One, to fit the fluff (being able to manifest a Psi-Blade is part of being a Psi-Warrior, so it was a natural prerequisite, even though there's no balance reason to require a Seasoned prerequisite, as Adept is only Novice). Two, there was a conscious decision to make it available to novice Mind Melters, who at the time had nothing going for them but easy early access to Psi-Blade due to starting with Master Psionic.

For the Psi-Warrior MARS package, the rank doesn't really matter, since they get it as part of the package. But I understand the inconsistency that's bothering you. I don't think making it a Seasoned Edge would hurt anything, considering Mind Melters are getting a boost and don't need the favor.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

RFT wrote:
Freemage wrote:Normal Adept requires: Novice, Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+, Fighting d8+

Adept also requires Martial Arts. So there is already a Edge and Skill tax that needs to be maintained for constancy.

Also Adept can be taken at novice if you finagle the build. But you still do not get a free action until Seasoned.
SWD Pg 38-39 wrote: Adept
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Miracles),
Faith d8+, Fighting d8+
Adepts are holy warriors who have trained themselves to be
living weapons. Some do so to be ultimate warriors; others
do it in the service of a cause or deity.
Their unarmed attacks do Str+d4 damage, and they are
always considered armed for purposes of the Unarmed
Defender rule.
In addition, upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank,
they may choose to change the trappings of one of the
following powers to work only on themselves but be activated
as a free action: boost/lower trait, deflection, healing, smite, or
speed. The Adept must have the power to begin with, and this
does not allow him to activate more than one power in a round.
It doesn't require Martial Arts--it REPLACES it, unless you also want to take Imp. Martial Arts and Martial Arts Master.

As for the Rank discrepancy, it's odd, I admit, but the idea is that IFs that start as Major Psi can get there at any point out of the gate, while those who do not have to build to it, either by dropping everything to get there at Creation, or by going the long way round to get it at Seasoned.

That said, this issue is actually based on what's there, and I do comprehend it, and with Born A Hero, making it Seasoned wouldn't really impinge on Mind Melters and Bursters who want to go there, anyway.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

This must be a PDF errata thing. Both my physical copy and my pdf have martial arts.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180130-202835.jpg
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

It IS an errata--and yours is the correct version. My apologies. Glad I didn't dump snark into that post.... :oops:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg- ... Errata.pdf
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Don't feel bad. I got pretty close to calling Pender bad names one time because we were trying to quote page numbers at each other and one of us had the pocket edition and the other full-sized version of SWD, which apparently have different layouts.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote:Don't feel bad. I got pretty close to calling Pender bad names one time because we were trying to quote page numbers at each other and one of us had the pocket edition and the other full-sized version of SWD, which apparently have different layouts.
Good times.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

All that said, I still think that the hoops on this are high enough, and I feel Major Psi is an appropriate Edge Tax. What would you alter, Rob?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

But Major Psionics and Psionics d8 aren't hoops -- they're desirable Edges that every psionics user is going to want (if they don't have them when they start). With the standard Adept Edge, you've got a couple of requirements (Martial Artist and Fighting d8) that aren't part of the standard uber-caster progression, but are fluffy and useful for a character that ventures outside that box a bit. For a Bio-Manipulation Adept, they ought to know something about how the body works, which is why I really favor Healer -- again, fluffy, useful, but a little bit of a side trek from the psionic powerhouse progression.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe of One wrote:But Major Psionics and Psionics d8 aren't hoops -- they're desirable Edges that every psionics user is going to want (if they don't have them when they start). With the standard Adept Edge, you've got a couple of requirements (Martial Artist and Fighting d8) that aren't part of the standard uber-caster progression, but are fluffy and useful for a character that ventures outside that box a bit. For a Bio-Manipulation Adept, they ought to know something about how the body works, which is why I really favor Healer -- again, fluffy, useful, but a little bit of a side trek from the psionic powerhouse progression.
Except the Adept requirements play very directly into the Adept's function--turning a Miracles caster into a hand-to-hand combatant. That's what the Powers selected are meant for--enhancing your melee effectiveness. If you're not planning on doing that, there's not a lot of point to the Adept Edge at all.

I don't see Healer playing to this Edge's strengths in that way--it's a full-on diversion, not a natural progression.

In fact, the nature of this Edge (self-only fast powers) undercuts the usefulness of Healer--you can no longer help out allies with the healing Power, just yourself, so the best function of that +2 (overcoming your allies' injuries when healing them) is pretty much gone.

Looking at the Power list I came up with, here, honestly the best function for this character is ranged combat--Farsight and Darksight eliminate penalties, WG lets them Edge-up on those handy shooting Edges, and so on. Melee combat could get boosted to a lesser extent, though lacking smite from the fast power list makes it less useful than vanilla Adept in close quarters. If I were going to pick an Edge that fills a similar role to Martial Artist, here, I'd say Marksman, going off the whole 'zen archer' concept--but that is also Seasoned, and even less available than Major Psionic for the characters that this is supposed to be meant for...

How about Danger Sense, representing your readiness for instant action? That would unlock it for the new Mind Melter directly.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I do not mound which it is, but it should be two edges and two skills.
Perhaps...

Requirements: Danger Sense, Major Psionic, Psionics d8, Healing d8
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

RFT wrote:I do not mound which it is, but it should be two edges and two skills.
Perhaps...

Well, the direct parallel with Adept would then be Danger Sense, AB: Psionics, Psionics d8, Notice d8. Both skills tied to the two required Edges.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I like it. Also tracks with the new Mind Melter. Which makes me happier.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote:
RFT wrote:I do not mound which it is, but it should be two edges and two skills.
Perhaps...

Well, the direct parallel with Adept would then be Danger Sense, AB: Psionics, Psionics d8, Notice d8. Both skills tied to the two required Edges.
This seems rational. I could do it that.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I left it at Major Psionic because it intimates a greater connection to your psionics than simply having them. OP updated. As for the supposed disparity, it's Rifts. :P Besides, as was mentioned above, Major Psionics is a highly desirable edge for any psychic.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

So it's a mild Skill tax for the new MM, and a major investment in individually useful components for most other Psychics. Seems about right.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Still say the rank should at least be the same as the highest pre-req edge. Seasoned in this case.
Radecliffe

Skills

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

But Danger Sense and AB Psionics are both novice edges?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

RFT wrote:But Danger Sense and AB Psionics are both novice edges?
I think he referring to Major Psionics.

Given the gymnastics made possible by born a hero I don't get too fussed about rank requirements anymore.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Oh, I see put it back up to Major Psionic.

Well Pat is wrong and now I will vote against it.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

AB Psionics seems a better choice anyway and it does not offend my rank hierarchy sensibilities. Honestly though if rank requirements are not a concern then they should not be a concern at all. Always a Hero FTW!
Radecliffe

Skills

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Radecliffe wrote:Honestly though if rank requirements are not a concern then they should not be a concern at all. Always a Hero FTW!
I remain concerned. Just not as deeply given if you really want an edge at creation you can do what you got to do to get it.

Having a novice edge with a seasoned edge as a requirement doesn't make logical sense.

VV
Signature
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Radecliffe wrote:Honestly though if rank requirements are not a concern then they should not be a concern at all. Always a Hero FTW!
I remain concerned. Just not as deeply given if you really want an edge at creation you can do what you got to do to get it.

Having a novice edge with a seasoned edge as a requirement doesn't make logical sense.

VV
Ack! That was my whole point! It's probably a little OCD but allowing that bugs the living crap out of me.

For the record I would prefer not having Always a Hero as a setting rule. Unless, of course, we keep wanting to do end arounds by ignoring rank hierarchy like with the Psi Warrior edges.
Radecliffe

Skills

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

How does being observant and having a preternatural sense for danger relate to being expertly attuned to the biomechanics of one's own body?

I can certainly see Notice and Danger Sense being fine prerequisites for some version of an Adept clone, but not one with fluff based on mastery of one's physical processes. If that's what we're going for with this particular power list, the prereq ought to reflect it, or the name and fluff should change to reflect the mechanics.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Tribe of One wrote:How does being observant and having a preternatural sense for danger relate to being expertly attuned to the biomechanics of one's own body?

I can certainly see Notice and Danger Sense being fine prerequisites for some version of an Adept clone, but not one with fluff based on mastery of one's physical processes. If that's what we're going for with this particular power list, the prereq ought to reflect it, or the name and fluff should change to reflect the mechanics.
heck if I know. But as ong as it makes people happy.

(That is why I thought healing d8 was the logical choice on this one. But then it create a concept tax if you do not envision yourself as a bio-mancer type and instead see yourself as a psi-warrior.)
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

There's a Rifts psychic power called "Intuitive Combat" that is more based on precognition sensing next moves etc.

Maybe that works as a title and explains the skill/edge requirement

VV
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Venatus Vinco wrote:There's a Rifts psychic power called "Intuitive Combat" that is more based on precognition sensing next moves etc.

Maybe that works as a title and explains the skill/edge requirement

VV
Yeah, that could work with a flavor text change, but it doesn't really jive with the power list.

EDIT: What if instead of anatomical knowledge, we focused on physiological mastery for the prereqs, so super fit like a yogi:

Bio-Manipulation Adept [Professional]
Requirements: Brawny, AB: Psionics, Psionics d8, Vigor d8, Novice
Your character has become attuned to his inner might, able to use it to enhance his physiology at the speed of thought. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but may be activated as a free action: armor*, boost Trait, darksight, deflection, environmental protection, farsight, healing or warrior's gift. *If the armor Power is selected, it does not stack with worn Body Armor, but would stack with the sorts of armor Powers that do stack with Body Armor. The psychic must have the power to begin with, and this does not allow him to activate the power more than once in a round. This Edge affects both the regular and the Mega-Version of the selected Power, if the character has access to the Mega-Version.
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Fizzwaite Zipwidget »

Meditation would work since this is something of a zen ability in the same way that Adept is. But that hasn't been approved yet either.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I'd be fine with Brawny/Vigor d8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Retrapped for psionic self mastery. Also, made it seasoned

Psionic Self Mastery [Weird]
Requirements: Danger Sense, Major Psionics, Psionics d8, Notice d8, Seasoned
Your character has become attuned to his own inner strength, able to summon it to enhance his physiology at the speed of thought. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but may be activated as a free action: armor*, boost Trait, darksight, deflection, environmental protection, farsight, healing or warrior's gift. *If the armor Power is selected, it does not stack with worn Body Armor, but would stack with the sorts of armor Powers that do stack with Body Armor. The psychic must have the power to begin with, and this does not allow him to activate the power more than once in a round. This Edge affects both the regular and the Mega-Version of the selected Power, if the character has access to the Mega-Version.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

I can see why in core SW and other SW setting that armor would not stack with worn armor because 2/4 points of armor is pretty good but can the same be said for the SR setting? Even the 5/10 from the mega version isn't THAT awesome against the AP that many weapons have. Not sure if the limitation should actually be changed but I figured the question should be asked.
Radecliffe

Skills

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

High Command wrote:Retrapped for psionic self mastery. Also, made it seasoned

Psionic Self Mastery [Weird]
Requirements: Danger Sense, Major Psionics, Psionics d8, Notice d8, Seasoned
Your character has become attuned to his own inner strength, able to summon it to enhance his physiology at the speed of thought. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but may be activated as a free action: armor*, boost Trait, darksight, deflection, environmental protection, farsight, healing or warrior's gift. *If the armor Power is selected, it does not stack with worn Body Armor, but would stack with the sorts of armor Powers that do stack with Body Armor. The psychic must have the power to begin with, and this does not allow him to activate the power more than once in a round. This Edge affects both the regular and the Mega-Version of the selected Power, if the character has access to the Mega-Version.
Is this the final version we are voting on? I was originally Need's work, but think I am ready to change my vote. (I think the Healing and Vigor, or Brawny and Vigor make more sense, but honestly would be okay with this version.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

It's an option, I was looking for feedback. To see if this fit the bill for folks. I don't care for Brawny as this is basically your yogi or meditation master type character - control of the body is the point, not big and brawny.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote:It's an option, I was looking for feedback. To see if this fit the bill for folks. I don't care for Brawny as this is basically your yogi or meditation master type character - control of the body is the point, not big and brawny.
Brawny doesn't have to be big: "Your bruiser is very large or perhaps just very fit." I've had several Str d6 characters with Brawny.

I prefer Brawny, Vigor d8 and the original Bio-Manipulation Adept name and fluff, because I think it fits better with the power list (including the limit on armor, which in this case involves the user hardening/manipulating his own body, rather than summoning force field or something.

The Psionic Self-Mastery name and fluff could work -- I could live with it -- but it falls somewhat flat for me and I think connecting it to the power list is more of a stretch. I also don't particularly love that a Mind Melter essentially qualifies automatically (d8 Notice is kind of an auto-buy). This is supposed to be a specialist, which ought to require at least a tiny bit of out-of-the-box advancing, even if it's really useful (a net +2 Toughness and more carrying capacity is great for a MM).
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

[insert rant about not letting MM actually have SOMETHING]

Sure, Brawny, whatever works. As I said, it's an option, not a straight jacket. Someone please put up what we're voting on. I nominate Soren, since this was his idea anyway
Tales of the 17th SOG
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Radecliffe wrote:I can see why in core SW and other SW setting that armor would not stack with worn armor because 2/4 points of armor is pretty good but can the same be said for the SR setting? Even the 5/10 from the mega version isn't THAT awesome against the AP that many weapons have. Not sure if the limitation should actually be changed but I figured the question should be asked.
Normally, the armor Power creates a field of energy--that's why it stacks with worn armor. This, however, has a specific trapping making it purely physical (essentially, like the racial armor trait)--which does not stack with worn armor. But an ally who casts a more typical armor spell on a user of this armor WOULD stack. Similarly, this would stack with an SFC Force Field Generator.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

This has been superceded by the Psi-Warrior Adept Edge, and thus can be safely locked and archived.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Return to “Archived Discussions”