Play Testers: Final Framework
@Venatus Vinco are you okay with this going up for a Vote?
Savage Rifts Superhero
Super Powered Heroes of Rifts Earth and Beyond!
Power. Super Power. Whether exposure to cosmic rays that grant amazing abilities or access to ultra powerful alien technology these heroes have extraordinary abilities that make them larger than life. In the inter-dimensional melting pot of Rifts Earth beings with extraordinary power arrive daily through random Rifts while others are born in our midst imbued with powers through mutation, scientific manipulation, or genetic experimentation. Regardless of the source of their powers these heroes can’t avoid center stage for long. After all, with great power comes...well you know the rest.
HERO’S JOURNEY (FIVE ROLLS)
Savage Rifts Superheroes gain three rolls on any of Education, Experience & Wisdom, Training, or Underworld & Black Ops. Plus, two rolls on any tables, except those dealing with Cybernetics, Magic and Psionics.
HEROES WITHOUT EQUAL
One of only two ways of bringing the pure fury and power of Superheroes into your Savage Rifts game, the Savage Rifts Superhero is a powerhouse on par with any character in the Tomorrow Legion.
WITH POWER, LIMITS
Due to the incredible power, Savage Rifts Superheroes limitations based on them by karma, happenstance, and the circumstances of their empowerment. These characters will choose from the options in Complications to define precisely what it is about them that complicates their lives.
SUPERHERO ABILITIES AND BONUSES
- Awesome Power: Gain the Arcane Background (Super Powers - SPC). The character starts with 30 Power Points and a Power Limit of 15. Superheroes also have access to the The Best There Is, Mastery, and Dynamic Duo edges from the Super Hero Companion. The edge 'The Best There Is' raises the power point limit to 23, as defined by the edge.
- Extreme Power: The Knockback, Synergy, Power Stunt, and Power Trick setting rules from the Super Hero Companion apply to this character. Superhero characters can synergize with non-super characters with GM permission - depending on the circumstances.
- Rising Stars: Super Heroes may take the Power Points Edge (no more than once per Rank as usual) to add 5 additional points to their existing abilities, or new ones (there is no New Power Edge).
- Achilles Heel: Even the most powerful heroes have weaknesses, quirks, and foibles. Choose 1 Additional Major or 2 Minor Hindrances not already listed above. Alternately, the GM may allow a character to choose negative racial abilities of 1 or 2 points instead - useful when emulating a specific race.
You may also utilize those listed below:
- Allergy (Major/Minor) Your character suffers an aversion to a common condition or substance, such as water, fire, cold, sunlight, etc. Exposure to that substance (generally within six feet of it) inflicts a –2 penalty to all your character’s Trait rolls as a Minor Hindrance. As a Major Hindrance, your hero suffers a –4 penalty to all Trait rolls and his Pace is halved. This continues while exposed and for 2d6 rounds after the substance is removed or shielded somehow.
- Dependency (Major): The creature must consume or have contact with some sort of relatively common substance. Creatures from water-based worlds, for example, might need to immerse themselves in water one hour out of every 24; plant people might need an hour of sunlight a day. If they don’t have the required contact, they become automatically Fatigued each day until they’re Incapacitated. A day after that, they perish. Each hour spent recovering with the appropriate substance restores a level of Fatigue.
- Weakness (Major/Minor): Your character is more susceptible to a specific Power Trapping (see below), such as ice and cold, fire and heat, radiation, magic, darkness, light, air, sound, and so on. He suffers +4 damage when hit by an attack of that type, or –4 to resist other types of effects. As a Major Hindrance, the hero or villain is incredibly vulnerable to the Power Type and should avoid it at all costs. He still resists at –4 but damage is doubled.
Energy: Cold, Darkness, Electricity, Fire/Heat, Kinetic, Light, Magnetism, Mental, Radiation, Sound, Wind.
Matter: Air, Biological (Animal/Human tissue), Earth/Stone, Force or Solid Light, Metal, Plant, Water.
- Dimensional Restrictions: Supers can be any race story-wise, but they must be Human for purposes of character creation mechanics. Use super powers and hindrances to represent a specific race.
- Enemies Everywhere!: The Coalition States and Dunscon's Federation of Magic see these beings as dangerous aberrations at best and off-world scum at worst. Regardless, no matter how human looking or how magical their abilities, these beings with great and mysterious powers are dangerous and to be destroyed or studied - in a lab. This counts as the Wanted (Minor) hindrance with each organization.
- Restricted Paths: Supers cannot take any other Arcane Background, nor can they select Super Sorcery or Mentalist powers. As mentioned in the edge's description, cybernetics are simply not a good option for a Super Powered character, as they interfere too much with his powers. If circumstances force a bionic addition, each point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty to any activation trait test or to the use of a skill with a power (such as shooting with a ranged attack). Cyber-Psychic Alignment can overcome this limitation to a degree.
- Super Karma: Super powered characters are larger than life, with faults and responsibilities as great as their miraculous powers. For this reason, supers may take one additional Major Hindrance from the list bellow during character creation. This can be used normally, or to grant them 10 extra Power Points. These bonus points do not increase the character’s Power Limit.
- Begin with the starting gear from any Iconic Framework.
Inner Reservoir (1/level)
You have a pool of mystical or psionic energy that you can use to power techno-wizard or Arcane items. Each level of this power gives you 5 PPE or ISP (choose one) that can only be used to activate and power TW/Arcane devices. These PPE or ISP regenerate at the rate of 1 per hour.