4.3 Fort Sioux

Post Reply
User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: November 29, 109 PA
Mission: Day 5
Time: 1000
Weather: Normal for season (chilly); no wind; light snow
Location: Wilderness
Ley Line: No
Scene modifiers:
  • Light: Normal
Round 0

The refugees with Ellenar and Ryk were a large enough band, and you were only two days out from Fort Hope, that they could be sent on ahead to meet a small team of Legionnaires from the fort, leaving Elennar and Ryk able to join the party, along with the odd Dr. Asterisk.

Having had your night interrupted, the first day after the fight with the Coalition forces was a bit tiring, but the next couple days were uneventful, aside from the light snow that persisted. The morning of the fifth day out from Fort Hope, Ryder slowed the vehicle. They were reaching the vicinity of Fort Sioux, the fortified western extent of Coalition territory, and one of the mobilizing bases for forays into the new CS Minnesota, as well as west into former Nebraska and South Dakota. They would need to get past the fort without being noticed.
Instructions: Interlude and Journey Task (TLFG p. 17)
  • Get to know the new members! Write an Interlude set during the couple days of travel. If you need inspiration, use the chart on p. 130 of SWADE. Roll a 1d4 and then a 1d3 to choose your interlude prompt. Take a Benny!
  • Make a Journey role. See the rules on p. 17 of the TLFG. Pick someone to take one of the four rolls. The others may support. ALL ROLLS ARE AT -2 DIFFICULTY FOR COALITION PATROLS, THE SNOW, AND THE WOODED, HILLY TERRAIN OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY.
    • Navigator (make first, a critical action): Make a Survival check to make sure the party goes in the right direction.
    • Lookout: Make a Notice roll to spot threats
    • Pilot (Ryder): Make a Piloting check.
    • Scout: Make a Stealth check.

[/list]

Loot
Combat Notes

Initiative:

Vik
Ryder (Danger Sense)
Thomas (Monologuer)
Barinthasheer
Ashley
Dr. Asterisk
Ryk (Danger Sense, Quick)
Elennar


Enemies

***
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 8/8
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8

User avatar
duhtroll
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by duhtroll »

After the last day of silence from the diminutive construct, you almost had forgotten it was there, sitting off in the corner, finding sunlight where possible. You weren’t really sure if it was dormant or if it was staring at you, the mirrored eyes not giving anything away. Indirect references to its origin had gone unheeded.

“It’s Samuelsson, by the way, or it used to be” from the corner, completely out of context to whatever references were being made. “The bizarro-stormtroopers called me Doctor Asterisk and I had no idea why until I saw the manifest. The guy processing me only got part-way through my name. I had said I am Dr. Ernst Samuelsson, at which point he laughed and put an asterisk next to the abbreviation “Dr.” on the pad as if to mock me. He didn’t get to finish as a grenade interrupted his work, ending him and apparently cementing my fugitive title. I was recaptured and called all sorts of names during the past few weeks but officially, to them I am Dr. Asterisk. I’d spell it, but whatever. I found it was much easier to pretend I was a maintenance bot, child’s toy…anything but a real person.

“Don’t ask me how I got here…I mean, from my perspective, you and everything else came here and not the other way around. I woke up in my lab a couple months ago and this --- was all wrong. Since no one has been able to give me a straight answer I can only guess I am from the past. Sucks that the future has no Netflix… wouldn’t have called that. Thing that bothers is me is where “we” went. The people. I mean, y’all are nice but “my” people seem to be the angry ones chasing everyone else around and that makes me a little nervous. We *had* those but they were in the minority where I was. They act like they have a calling but I know fear when I see it. I am waiting to find out just what the hell happened to this planet because even their locked servers don’t have much on history.

“I can help out, now that I see you’re much like me in that everyone is looking for things to calm down, one way or another. Well, almost everyone, anyway.”
(fixed eye sockets still giving away nothing) “At least there’s way fewer skulls here. Talk about overcompensation.”

“I’ve found I’m not as good at some things I used to do, and better at some things too. This model is a research and repair bot – really good at getting into places, finding or fixing stuff, and getting back out with no one being the wiser. Unfortunately the flight pack is still literally sitting on my work table if it isn’t in the hands of the gestapo out there, so I walk for now. I put the most advanced sensor system I could find in this chassis so if you need a scanner, I can do that. I’m good with computers and can fix just about anything. I don’t need much but eventually I’d like to be able to get off the ground or make something bigger – can’t see much from down here.

“I’ve met our large friend here, well kinda, but I’d be interested to know who I’m riding with, and specifically that you aren’t planning on taking me apart in the near future. We would disagree on that.

“Oh, and where are we? Anyone got a map I can load?”


Dr. Asterisk

Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d12, Vigor d10

Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8+2, Common Knowledge d4+2, Electronics d10+2, Fighting d4, Hacking d4+4, Language ('Murican) d8, Language (Chinese) d6, Language (Dragonese) d6, Language (Euro) d6, Language (Japanese) d6, Language (Spanish) d6, Notice d8+4, Persuasion d4, Repair d10+6, Research d6+2, Science d6, Shooting d6, Spellcasting d6, Stealth d10+4, Survival d6, Thievery d4

Pace: 10; Running Die: d8; Parry: 4; Toughness: 26 (12)
Strain: 8/8

Hindrances: Curious, Delusional (minor, sometimes thinks he is back in Pre-Rifts Earth), Outsider (major), Pacifist (minor), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (minor), Vow (major, Preserve knowledge, whether object or being, unless for self-preservation), Wanted (major, Coalition wants him back)

Edges: Arcane Background, Filthy Rich, Mr. Fix It, Rich, Synthetic Immortality

Armor: Arzno TWA-1600 Exterminator EBA (Armor 8)

Weapons: Melee (-2 to all melee attacks except with laser torch because of feature lock)
Wilk’s Laser Torch (Range Melee, Damage 4d4+4, AP 16, M.D.C.)
Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str)

Weapons: Ranged (-2 to all ranged attacks except for energizers/electrical weapons because of feature lock)
Portable energizer (Stun Gun) (Range 5/10/20, Damage 2d4, ROF 1) (Vigor at -2 or Stun until end of next turn), Stun = fall prone or to their knees, can't move or take any actions, don't count toward Gang Up, are subject to the Drop. After next round, if makes a Vigor roll= no longer stunned but remains distracted and is now vulnerable until the end of next turn. On a raise=remove all effects.

3x Smoke Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), obscure
6x Stun Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), stun
Wilk’s 320 Laser Pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 3d6, ROF 1, AP 2) +1 shooting

Gear: Lock Pick Release Gun, Repair Kit, Field

Languages: 'Murican (native, d8), Chinese (d6), Dragonese (d6), Euro (d6), Japanese (d6), Spanish (d6)

Current Wealth: 8,850 universal credits

Arcane Background: Magic (Rifts® TLPG, p120)
PPE: 10

Powers: Boost Trait (SWADE pp156; Limitations: One Aspect), Confusion (SWADE pp157), Deflection (SWADE pp157-158; Limitations: One Aspect), Invisibility (SWADE pp164; Limitations: Self (limited)), Speed (SWADE pp167; Limitations: One Aspect, Self (limited))


User avatar
Barinthasheer
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Barinthasheer »

Elennar wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm
Reflexively, she startles a little at the dragon's landing. In Elven, she addresses Barinthasheer. "Great One...I am delighted to find that we are not enemies. I am called Elennar, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. We would be happy to follow you to your transport."
At the sound of someone speaking Elven/Draconic the hatchling beams and replies in kind. "A pleasure to meet you as well Elennar. I am Barinthasheer but most people call me Barry." Noting the forms of the refugees in the woods he realizes that his natural form may not be a good idea. "I should probably take my human form though, so all your friends in the woods do not run away..."

His form shrinks and shifts into that of a young human boy wearing a ridiculous looking TW helmet only a young boy could love. A flaming eyeball adorns the antennae.
Bari.jpg
"You have a robot and a plant person as friends? That is very neat. I have never met either before..." He talks the newcomers ears off on the walk to the Aeon Cassoway and it quickly becomes apparent that this dragon is very young but bright and friendly.


Survival 1d4!!-2: [5!!]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Benny to reroll
Reroll Survival 1d4!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5
Reroll Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

duhtroll wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 pm
After the last day of silence from the diminutive construct, you almost had forgotten it was there, sitting off in the corner, finding sunlight where possible. You weren’t really sure if it was dormant or if it was staring at you, the mirrored eyes not giving anything away. Indirect references to its origin had gone unheeded.

“It’s Samuelsson, by the way, or it used to be” from the corner, completely out of context to whatever references were being made. “The bizarro-stormtroopers called me Doctor Asterisk and I had no idea why until I saw the manifest. The guy processing me only got part-way through my name. I had said I am Dr. Ernst Samuelsson, at which point he laughed and put an asterisk next to the abbreviation “Dr.” on the pad as if to mock me. He didn’t get to finish as a grenade interrupted his work, ending him and apparently cementing my fugitive title. I was recaptured and called all sorts of names during the past few weeks but officially, to them I am Dr. Asterisk. I’d spell it, but whatever. I found it was much easier to pretend I was a maintenance bot, child’s toy…anything but a real person.

“Don’t ask me how I got here…I mean, from my perspective, you and everything else came here and not the other way around. I woke up in my lab a couple months ago and this --- was all wrong. Since no one has been able to give me a straight answer I can only guess I am from the past. Sucks that the future has no Netflix… wouldn’t have called that. Thing that bothers is me is where “we” went. The people. I mean, y’all are nice but “my” people seem to be the angry ones chasing everyone else around and that makes me a little nervous. We *had* those but they were in the minority where I was. They act like they have a calling but I know fear when I see it. I am waiting to find out just what the hell happened to this planet because even their locked servers don’t have much on history.
He looks at Dr. A funny, "Your people? Wait, there are more robot people and they are chasing people around? That does not sound good at all. If they are as small as you though... well unless there was an army of them all scampering around." He giggles at the though of an army of tiny Dr. Asterisks chasing people around the countryside.

Flying scout above the team Bari spots out a couple places where there would be trouble passing and finds alternate routes. He was grateful for the new woman's aid and insight as she seemed to know her way around the wilderness pretty well. When Vik popped up to give him a peak thru the viewfinder. "They seem nice, I hope they can fight though. We seem to meet many hostile beings."
Barinthasheer
Barinthasheer
Pace: 6/12 flying; Parry: 7 Toughness: 40 (22)/6 in human
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: ISP 20/20; PPE 10/10
Bennies: 5/3
Adventure Cards
  • Edit Signature

    Characters Imperator (GM account), Barinthasheer, Aggelos, Xiang, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Kyrin Brand

User avatar
Ashley Logan
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Ashley Logan »

In the aftermath of the confrontation with the Coalition, Ashley made herself scarce. A lot. With her armor she had a relatively easy time staying out of sight, and used that to range ahead and spot dangers before the vehicles blundered into them. It meant she had a lot of alone time, which for her was a big bonus.

Even when she had rejoined the group, Ash kept to herself most of the time. It wasn't for several days that she offered much insight into why.

Ashley finally came over to where the team was huddled around a fire and took a seat close enough to take part in the conversation.

"I'm Ash," she said, taking off her helmet and scrubbing her fingers over her short, black hair. "I figure...I feel like I owe you guys a little explanation. About why I've been...you know. Kind of..." she made a gesture, shoving a hand away from herself as if pushing someone. "It's not you guys. I mean...not... Ugh, okay. Basically, I used to be in the Coalition, and I felt like I might get caught back there and...I kind of freaked out and closed up. And I'm still sometimes having trouble adjusting." Ashley coughed. "And I feel bad about it."

Hefting her helmet and sticking it under her arm, Ash went on. "I don't really want attention or anything. I just didn't want anyone to feel like it was because I have something against you, or I was mad at you or anything. It's not that. It just...brought back some bad memories. Really bad."

Throughout the speech, one of the longer ones the usually terse psychic had made, Ashley kept her eyes down, usually focused on the fire itself.

"I don't know if this is the right place for me. The Coalition is...it's active around here. And I'm...if I'm unreliable if they show up, then...I feel like you might be better off without me. There's places I can go where they're far away from. I don't know. I just..."

For a second her wooden tone started to crack, and she quickly shook her head at herself. "Anyway. Sorry. That's probably all I should have said."

She turned away and stalked off, desperately hoping to preserve some shred of dignity.

Roll: Stealth 23
Stealth (-2 circumstance, +2 armor) 1d6!!: [3] = 3 Wild (-2 circumstance, +2 armor) 1d6!!: [23!!] = 23

User avatar
duhtroll
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by duhtroll »

Notice 1d8!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild 1d6!!+2: [10!!]+2 = 12


Dr. Asterisk

Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d12, Vigor d10

Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8+2, Common Knowledge d4+2, Electronics d10+2, Fighting d4, Hacking d4+4, Language ('Murican) d8, Language (Chinese) d6, Language (Dragonese) d6, Language (Euro) d6, Language (Japanese) d6, Language (Spanish) d6, Notice d8+4, Persuasion d4, Repair d10+6, Research d6+2, Science d6, Shooting d6, Spellcasting d6, Stealth d10+4, Survival d6, Thievery d4

Pace: 10; Running Die: d8; Parry: 4; Toughness: 26 (12)
Strain: 8/8

Hindrances: Curious, Delusional (minor, sometimes thinks he is back in Pre-Rifts Earth), Outsider (major), Pacifist (minor), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (minor), Vow (major, Preserve knowledge, whether object or being, unless for self-preservation), Wanted (major, Coalition wants him back)

Edges: Arcane Background, Filthy Rich, Mr. Fix It, Rich, Synthetic Immortality

Armor: Arzno TWA-1600 Exterminator EBA (Armor 8)

Weapons: Melee (-2 to all melee attacks except with laser torch because of feature lock)
Wilk’s Laser Torch (Range Melee, Damage 4d4+4, AP 16, M.D.C.)
Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str)

Weapons: Ranged (-2 to all ranged attacks except for energizers/electrical weapons because of feature lock)
Portable energizer (Stun Gun) (Range 5/10/20, Damage 2d4, ROF 1) (Vigor at -2 or Stun until end of next turn), Stun = fall prone or to their knees, can't move or take any actions, don't count toward Gang Up, are subject to the Drop. After next round, if makes a Vigor roll= no longer stunned but remains distracted and is now vulnerable until the end of next turn. On a raise=remove all effects.

3x Smoke Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), obscure
6x Stun Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), stun
Wilk’s 320 Laser Pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 3d6, ROF 1, AP 2) +1 shooting

Gear: Lock Pick Release Gun, Repair Kit, Field

Languages: 'Murican (native, d8), Chinese (d6), Dragonese (d6), Euro (d6), Japanese (d6), Spanish (d6)

Current Wealth: 8,850 universal credits

Arcane Background: Magic (Rifts® TLPG, p120)
PPE: 10

Powers: Boost Trait (SWADE pp156; Limitations: One Aspect), Confusion (SWADE pp157), Deflection (SWADE pp157-158; Limitations: One Aspect), Invisibility (SWADE pp164; Limitations: Self (limited)), Speed (SWADE pp167; Limitations: One Aspect, Self (limited))


User avatar
Ryder
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 am

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Ryder »

OOC Comments
Interlude
Card Flip 1d4: [4] = 4 : Spades
Trek: A difficult obstacle the group negotiated
along the way.

Driving: Base d12+2, counter 2 points of penalties, Scene Penalty -2, Handling +1. Net roll 1d12+3.
Driving 1d12!!+3: [4]+3 = 7
Wild Driving 1d6!!+3: [4]+3 = 7
Ryder, hearing the Bot's tale, nods. "Having a second set of eyes on the road, or the off-road for that matter, is always a good thing, Dr. A. If you need to patch into the Cassowary's systems to scan outside without riding on top, by all means, go ahead. And the comp's got all the map intel we've got so far--scouting's been a fair bit of our mission, to this point, so some areas are still terra incognita."

Later, after Ash's 'confession', he talks to her while she's in the co-pilot's seat. "I was a smuggler for a long time, Ashley. I admit, there's a lot more Cee-Ess in the area than suits my tastes. But one thing I learned in the field--safety ain't about where your enemies are; it's about where your friends are. This crew... something happens to you, we'll run through hell and high water to get you back if we have to. Go someplace the Cee-Ess ain't, and you can't guarantee there'll be anyone who has your back when trouble does come. Just somethin' for you to chew on."

With Bari spotting the route and Dr. Asterisk scanning the area around them for trouble, they start making excellent time, even with the snow--at least, until they come to a small crevice that had been completely filled with snow, making it look like flat terrain. The Aeon Cassowary's weight was just enough to crush the snow, causing them to sink deep into it. A less experienced Operator might've panicked, but Ryder stayed calm and cool throughout, trusting the Cassowary to be able to handle plowing through the snow as he turned to run them along the trench, using it for extra cover rather than trying to get out immediately. "Besides, if we get really stuck, well, we got a Dragon."
Ryder
Veteran Trimadore MARS Operator
OOC Comments
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4 (d12+1 w/armor), Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6 (8 in Armor); Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (6) MDC; Strain: 4; Reach: 1; Starting Bennies: 8
Skills:
Athletics d4 (+1 Urban Climbing); Fighting d6; Shooting d8 (+1 w/ Calibrated weapons)
Boating d4; Driving d12; Piloting d4 (All get +2 with Vehicle Interface, ignore 2 points penalty)
Electronics d8 (Free Reroll); Hacking d6; Repair (Sm) d8+2 (Free Reroll, +2)
Thievery d8+1; Stealth: d6 (+1 Urban); Persuasion d4; Common Knowledge d4
Notice d8+4 (+2/Free Reroll vs. Surprise, +2 to spot ambushes/explosive traps, +2 Visual, ignore illumination)
Edges:
Ace, Alertness, Brave, Combat Ace, Connections (Black Market), Demolitionist, Elan, Field Intel, Gearhead, McGuyver, Mr. Fix-it, Reliable, Steady Hands, Thief
Hindrances: Alien Physiology, Big-Boned, Major D-Bee, Major Wanted (FedMagic). Quirk, Stubborn
Cybernetics: Expanded Detection & Security Array, Vehicle Interface Package, Core Electronics Package
Gear:
NG-EX10 Gladius Exoskeleton EBA (+4 vs. Environmental Hazards, immune disease/airborne poison) w/Multi-Optics Helmet
Solar Wyrm Rifle: Range 24/48/96; 60 Shots; RoF 4/3/3 (1/5/10/20); 4d6 AP 4; Heavy Pulse (RoF 1, MD, Snapfire, 3 Shots, +1 Shooting/+3 Damage); Enhanced Targeting (Total Shooting d10+3 before Pulse); Solar Trapping
Grenade Launcher (RoF 1, Damage by Grenade, 18/36/72, Shots 12, Load cycles: AP, Frag, HEx, Plasma)
Impact Maul (2-Handed, +4 to Break Things, Str+2d8+4 MD)
Assorted Grenades and Explosives
Aeon Cassowary
Size: 7 (Large); Toughness: 40 (20) MDC
Handling: +1; Top Speed: 120 MPH
Crew: 2+8
ATV; ECC; STS (Ignore Illumination; +2 Notice w/ Sensors; Ignore 2 points Range/MAP, no Unstable Platform for mounted weapons)
Mini Rail Gun (50/100/200; Damage: 2d10+2 MD AP 6; RoF: 4 (1/5/10/20); Shots: 30; Anti-Personnel, Reaction Fire in Chases)
"Helios" Solar Cannon (150/300/600; RoF: 4/3/3; Shots: N/A; 3d10 MD, AP 20; Solar Trapping; Enhanced Targeting gives total Shooting d10+3

User avatar
Elennar
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Elennar »

Common Knowledge - +1 Support Navigation
CK: 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
WD CK: 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny with Elan
CK: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
WD CK: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
"That vale has no exit. I have walked it. Veer southward."
The elf maiden's voice is like the music of a gentle forest stream, yet there is no mistaking the authority with which she speaks. Beneath the music is the force of a raging waterfall.
Elennar's recent experience with the immediate area helps guide @Barinthasheer on a good path that skirts CS fort patrol routes. She doesn't speak much during her shifts of aiding in navigation. She mostly listens, though Dr. Asterisk's story does provoke some conversation. "A curious thing, you are. Machines are a necessity in this world, it seems, but you have bonded with one? Fascinating." As @Ryder finishes encouraging @Ashley Logan, Elennar speaks up. "Even in your conflicted state, you have value. Growth is rarely painless. It takes courage to face such situations. You will be stronger for your struggle."
As Dr. Asterisk had inquired regarding his new traveling companions, Elennar offers a tidbit about herself. "I am called Elennar. I am a servant of the Hunter, Orome. I am the daughter of kings and heiress to the throne. Alas, my people are hexed, doomed to expire at the passing of time. I am their last hope for deliverance from the curse of a demon lord. Somewhere in this place, I hope to find a means of defeating this curse and helping The Hunter tear down our tormentor." The fervency in her voice stirs your blood.
"I am versed in matters of war and military administration, and with my bow, I have no equal in ranged combat. The last message @Ryk and I received, we were tasked with bringing our refugees to Fort Hope to unite with you. Unless we receive other directives, we shall remain." She looks over the faces of the Trailblazers. "I have not been apprised of the command structure of this assemblage. Shall I assume that responsibility? Judging by the smell of this one -" - her eyes wander to @Vik - "- he is unsuited for leadership. The dragon seems eager, but...inexperienced? And you..." she arches her eyebrow at @Thomas "...strike me as soft. Unless I am mistaken?"
Elennar, The Huntress
Elennar, The Huntress
Pace: 6; Parry: 8
Toughness: 16 (8)
Armor: Retrapped NE-C20 Camouflage Variable EBA with overcoat/cloak
Pertinent Edges: Improved Trademark Weapon,
Command edges]Command, Command Presence, Inspire, Natural Leader, Tactician, Hold the Line!
, Elan, Soldier,
Total +2 to hit or ignore 4 points penalties
, Take 'Em Down
Current Status Post

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Thomas »


1d4 and then again 1d3: [1]+[2] = 3
Trek: A difficult obstacle the group negotiated along the way.



Thomas scoffs at @Elennar as she assumes she should be in command. "While I appreciate your Machiavellian reach for power and am not immediately going to out you for being selfish or evil. That is not how assignments are made in the Legion. We have a command structure and they are the ones who assign people to authority."

Then looking at her in a wholly inappropriate way for a brief moment he finishes. "And I assure you I am not soft."

Returning his attentions back to the mission at hand Thomas maintained his effort to keep the men motivated and encouraged. It does not take a lot to help them, just some encouraging words here and there when he sees someone getting tired, perhaps taking the shame on himself from a failure to help them keep going.

Charisma and Reliable Persuasion 1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

First free reroll Charisma and Reliable Persuasion 1d8!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
First free reroll Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4

Second free reroll Charisma and Reliable Persuasion 1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Second free reroll Wild 1d6!!+2: [7!!]+2 = 9
Thomas (Rob T) status and conditions
Bennies 3
  • 3 Reset of Quarter

PPE
Staff: 10/10
Personal: 20/20*
Bran and Lana Bind the Summons Frost Pixies
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Pace: 4; Parry: 5*; Toughness: 3
Hindrances: Clueless, Impulsive
Edges: Very Attractive
Special Abilities:
„ Flight: Even the wingless Pixies possess a flying Pace of 12.
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
[/inline]

User avatar
Vik
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Vik »

Vik practices listening with his eyes closed as the others introduce themselves, hoping to catch a little shut-eye after the earlier excitement with the Coalition wankers. He makes a mental note not to try to disassemble the wee little droid without asking permission first, and getting it signed and witnessed, most like, lest he be accused of non-consensual tinkering. He's about to drift off into dreamland when the half-blind elven bird starts in with the cheap shots at personal hygiene and the like.

"Oy there, cyclopean Karen. I'll have you know what that's a very expensive 'Lantean rum what's airing out of my pores, not to mention I've somehow attained a relative senior ranking in this company, leastwise above lippy stowaways what can't even afford a decent shooter and has to run around wif' bows and arrows in the woodlands-like."

He jerks a thumb at Thomas. "Sides, ol' Tom's the leader, and got the 'pretty and prissy' role right covered, as well, so you might reconsider what trite shite y'choose to dribble from betwixt your curling lips."

He gives Elennar a quick up-and-down and decides he prefers his eyeless Altaran bombshell to the one-eyed waif look. Friends then, he reckons, and extends a hand. "'Course, I can understand the confusion. Getting shot at by them skull-buggering Cee-Ess loonies is like to turn one round a bit and have a dampenin' effect on manners. Name's Vik, and I'm happy to share a nip if you've a thirst for one, but right now I think I'll head up top to see about offering aid to ol' Barry boy, who if you haven't noticed is a great honking dragon child what looks up to me like a dear-old-uncle what comes to see his mum when she's down and needs a cuddle of a weeknight."

Content to let bygones be bygones, Vik heads topside, where he lets Barry have a peak at his View-Master of Mastery in an attempt to improve the lad's navigational abilities.

Techno-Wizardry to support Barry = 12, for a +2 bonus
TW 1d12!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild 1d6!!+2: [10!!]+2 = 12
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 4/3 + 0/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (five times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 14/20
Active Effects: +2d Shooting with reroll 1/action; Pace 16, ignore Run penalty; Ignore all MAP; Imp. Take 'Em Down and Imp. Trademark Weapon

User avatar
Ryk
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:23 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Ryk »

While walking to the Cassoway with @Elennar and @Barinthasheer , Ryk communicates to Barry, "Apologies, I have not gotten a chance to formerly introduce my self. My name is Rykszxiwviszt Crghszt, though for some reason people tend to find that difficult to pronounce; even Elennar finds it hard, so most refer to me as Ryk instead. I used to live in a place that people supposedly used to call 'Texas', but after uncovering some nasty things about this big, bad world, I joined the Legion."

You could tell at the word "uncovering" that Ryk gloomily slumped forward a little, though the voice transmitted to Barry's mind did not stutter in melancholy like it would have if spoken aloud. Ryk's transmission to Barry paused, then continued; "Before when I first came into this odd world, one of the other Clszymllxbrrxxyfwrr said they had spotted a dragon... at the time I laughed it off as a work of fiction. And look at me now, walking aside one as an friend, or at least I would hope."

Later on, after Dr. Asterisk's speech, Ryk attempted to communicate with him and -to Ryk's shock- succeeded in doing so. "Sweet Mother-o'-mercy, you really are alive! You see, I am unable to talk with most robots due to my lack of a maw, but it appears there are exceptions." Ryk then turns to Elennar, but continues talking to Dr. Asterisk, "She outta be thankful, too. I was gonna force her into translating if said communication really did exist."

After Elennar is done talking to Ashley, Ryk walks over to her and sits down close to her. He then communicates, "You wanna know the main reason I joined the league in the first place? I used to live by a place that used to be called... El Paso, was it? Anyhow, I discovered in my home town that the governor was selling out my people for riches and status, capturing us and taking my neighbors off to be crushed for their blood or sold to the Simvan... which is worse is a decision I don't dare to dwell on much. I saw the Legion as a beacon of light in a world of darkness, horror, and confusion. My wish is to put an end to what the governor -Czywvry, is his name- is doing to my neighbors and family, and prevent such terrible deeds from being executed elsewhere if possible." Ryk then stands and says before walking off again, "Hope, determination, and perseverance... those are fuel for the soul; they keep you moving even when against all odds, and with that kind of fuel, you will prevail."

User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: December 5, 109 PA
Mission: Day 11
Time: 0925
Weather: 20 degrees colder than normal (very cold); no wind; heavy snow
Location: Wilderness
Ley Line: No
Scene modifiers:
  • Light/Visibility: -4 for the snowfall and ley line storm
Round 1

The combined awareness of Dr. Asterisk and the scouting of Ashley allowed Barinthasheer to guide Ryder through the forests, hills, and valleys, making a wide sweep west of Fort Sioux. With advanced warning, they could take cover under the trees from any of the SAMAS patrols from the Coalition fort, and avoid any of the foot patrols. By the end of the day, they felt satisfied they had safely passed the fort unnoticed.

The next six days pass uneventfully as the party enjoys the travel through untrammelled wilderness. On the morning of the sixth day, a few hours after setting out, the party comes across a colossal ley line running east to west in their path, stretching out to the horizon. As best they can tell, it’s two miles wide and three miles tall, and the ends are out of sight. Just as Ryder takes the Cassowary into the ley line to cross it, the sky turns a sickly green and purple-green energy starts to spark as the air grows dark and cold and the wind picks up, and the clouds grow dark.

A ley line storm is upon you!

Wind slams against the Cassowary, and Thomas feels a chill down his spine. Vik’s techno-wizard gadgets all start beeping warnings as their magic goes dead. A few minutes into the storm, Elennar feels a warming in her chest, and her gaze is pulled forward. A silver ring of energy seems to open in the storm, and a twelve foot tall rift opens in the ley line. Clear as a window or an open door, green, rolling hills of thick forest beneath a glorious sunset can be seen. In the distance is a large log hunting cabin, an inviting plume of smoke coming from a stone chimney. She feels drawn to the place.

Ryk, Barinthasheer, and Ashley feel like their skulls are about to split open.
Ryk, Bari, Ashley
Take an automatic level of fatigue for being psionics. It will pass 10 minutes after the storm.
Ley Line Storm
While in the grips of a ley line storm, any rolls to use electrical equipment suffer a −2 penalty, while trying to use Techno-Wizard items incurs a −4 penalty. No one, including Ley Line Walkers, can tap into the extra PPE of a ley line while a storm is raging. Ley line communication and travel is impossible.

Any attempt at using magic or mystical powers while in a ley line storm risks wild, unexpected side effects. Each use of a power or arcane ability (including those from items) while in a storm requires a roll on the Ley Lines Storm Effect on Magic table. (GM Handbook p. 86

Psionics are not immune to the effects of a ley line storm. While in the area of effect, they suffer −2 to all Psionics skill rolls, as well as an overall Fatigue level due to constant headaches. The headaches go away within 10 minutes after the storm ends or they leave the area.

Storm Effect on Magic: Negation: PPE is spent, but nothing happens as the storm consumes the effect.
Instructions
This will be a series of Quick Encounters as the storm changes around you over time. Decide what your character will do to help everyone survive the storm. Or possibly your character wants to investigate the rift that just opened. Choose a skill and apply the following:
  • Difficulty -2 (all skills and supporting rolls)
  • Visibility -4 (any skill requiring you to see through a blizzard)
  • Storm Effect on Magic: Negation: PPE is spent, but nothing happens as the storm consumes the effect.
Dangerous Encounter: If a character fails his roll he takes a Wound (or d4 Wounds with a Critical Failure). If he’s the driver of a vehicle, it takes a Wound (or d4 with a Critical Failure). Wounds may be Soaked as usual. Success means the hero emerges with only Bumps & Bruises (page 125), and a raise means he escapes unscathed.
Loot
Combat Notes

Initiative:

Vik
Ryder (Danger Sense)
Thomas (Monologuer)
Barinthasheer
Ashley
Dr. Asterisk
Ryk (Danger Sense, Quick)
Elennar


Enemies

***
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 8/8
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8

User avatar
Elennar
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by Elennar »

Battle, success and raise
Battle; -2 scene, +2 Scholar: 1d10!!: [3] = 3
WD Battle: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Benny for fun with Elan: 1d10!!+2: [8]+2 = 10
WD Battle: 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
"...so you see, logistics and administration are as important to large scale military operations as soldiers. An archer without arrows becomes little more than a lesser trained foot soldier...HEAVENS!" The first clap of thunder cuts short Elennar's soliloquy on supply logistics. The green skies cast the world in strange hues that play havoc with her sight. Amidst calls to buckle up and assessing her companions' statuses, she feels a strange magnetism within her. She peers forward through the windshield of the Cassowary and spies the rift. "Look ahead! @Ryder, make for that portal. This storm will be the end of our mentalists if we do nothing. We can shelter in that cabin, or in the woods if the inhabitant is unwilling to house us. Hurry!"
Elennar, The Huntress
Elennar, The Huntress
Pace: 6; Parry: 8
Toughness: 16 (8)
Armor: Retrapped NE-C20 Camouflage Variable EBA with overcoat/cloak
Pertinent Edges: Improved Trademark Weapon,
Command edges]Command, Command Presence, Inspire, Natural Leader, Tactician, Hold the Line!
, Elan, Soldier,
Total +2 to hit or ignore 4 points penalties
, Take 'Em Down
Current Status Post

User avatar
duhtroll
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Re: 4.3 Fort Sioux

Post by duhtroll »

"Uhh...this can't be good for...well, anyone." (spins) @Elennar "You want to go where? Oh, looks peaceful in there now, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming. I don't know what your experience has been with portals but I've never met a friendly anything from one. But I'm not driving and it looks like I'm going wherever the vehicle goes."

(spins) @Ryder "We are only a few hundred feet inside this line. Can't we just like, back up or something until this blows over? I'll check the sensors for the shortest route "out" but they seem very angry at the moment."
Dice rolls
Electronics 1d10!!: [26!!] = 26
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2


Dr. Asterisk

Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d12, Vigor d10

Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8+2, Common Knowledge d4+2, Electronics d10+2, Fighting d4, Hacking d4+4, Language ('Murican) d8, Language (Chinese) d6, Language (Dragonese) d6, Language (Euro) d6, Language (Japanese) d6, Language (Spanish) d6, Notice d8+4, Persuasion d4, Repair d10+6, Research d6+2, Science d6, Shooting d6, Spellcasting d6, Stealth d10+4, Survival d6, Thievery d4

Pace: 10; Running Die: d8; Parry: 4; Toughness: 26 (12)
Strain: 8/8

Hindrances: Curious, Delusional (minor, sometimes thinks he is back in Pre-Rifts Earth), Outsider (major), Pacifist (minor), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (minor), Vow (major, Preserve knowledge, whether object or being, unless for self-preservation), Wanted (major, Coalition wants him back)

Edges: Arcane Background, Filthy Rich, Mr. Fix It, Rich, Synthetic Immortality

Armor: Arzno TWA-1600 Exterminator EBA (Armor 8)

Weapons: Melee (-2 to all melee attacks except with laser torch because of feature lock)
Wilk’s Laser Torch (Range Melee, Damage 4d4+4, AP 16, M.D.C.)
Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str)

Weapons: Ranged (-2 to all ranged attacks except for energizers/electrical weapons because of feature lock)
Portable energizer (Stun Gun) (Range 5/10/20, Damage 2d4, ROF 1) (Vigor at -2 or Stun until end of next turn), Stun = fall prone or to their knees, can't move or take any actions, don't count toward Gang Up, are subject to the Drop. After next round, if makes a Vigor roll= no longer stunned but remains distracted and is now vulnerable until the end of next turn. On a raise=remove all effects.

3x Smoke Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), obscure
6x Stun Grenades (Range 5/10/20, Damage -, ROF 1), stun
Wilk’s 320 Laser Pistol (Range 15/30/60, Damage 3d6, ROF 1, AP 2) +1 shooting

Gear: Lock Pick Release Gun, Repair Kit, Field

Languages: 'Murican (native, d8), Chinese (d6), Dragonese (d6), Euro (d6), Japanese (d6), Spanish (d6)

Current Wealth: 8,850 universal credits

Arcane Background: Magic (Rifts® TLPG, p120)
PPE: 10

Powers: Boost Trait (SWADE pp156; Limitations: One Aspect), Confusion (SWADE pp157), Deflection (SWADE pp157-158; Limitations: One Aspect), Invisibility (SWADE pp164; Limitations: Self (limited)), Speed (SWADE pp167; Limitations: One Aspect, Self (limited))


Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”