Hopeful Encounters (RP Thread)

KahlessNestor

Hopeful Encounters (RP Thread)

Post by KahlessNestor »

OOC: This is an open RP thread for the 101st Trailblazers. This is for scenes that might need more time than what can be allowed in a main adventure that needs to progress, or just hanging out with each other. Currently there is no set "scene", so if you could include a header with some brief information when posting, that will help people keep coordinated.

For example:

Where: Castle Refuge Mess Hall
When: During two week prep before mission

It doesn't need to be super-specific. Just so we are able to approximate where in the team's timeline and location it is taking place. Everyone please respect the STATUS. Open means anyone on the team can jump in and participate. CLOSED means only those characters listed should be involved. This respects a player's desire to get something specific done and not constantly be interrupted when they are trying to woo the beautiful android leading the mercenary company ;) If you think a character should be involved in a CLOSED scene, feel free to PM the participants and ask, then update the status for the new character.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Thomas

Re: Hopeful Encounters (RP Thread)

Post by Thomas »

When: During two week prep before mission

Sitting down in the mess hall Thom looks at the food served up. This must be the cheapest way to provide calories, because they sure did not bother wasting cash on flavor. "I don't suppose one of you want to go out and find something in the market. This stuff cannot possibly be good for us and it taste like cardboard." The words where spoken at a volume ensuring the hard working people who actually serve and prepare the food would not hear.
"We can call it my treat. Maybe then we can chat and get to know a little something about each other."
Thomas (Rob T) status and conditions
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Staff: 10/10
Personal: 20/20*
Bran and Lana Bind the Summons Frost Pixies
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Pace: 4; Parry: 5*; Toughness: 3
Hindrances: Clueless, Impulsive
Edges: Very Attractive
Special Abilities:
„ Flight: Even the wingless Pixies possess a flying Pace of 12.
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

When: During two-week prep before the mission

Leo pokes listlessly at the mess-hall special sitting before him, letting out a deep sigh he drifts off into thought. . .

I'm not even sure what to make of the outside world. . . I'm not sure if the team is crazy, or it's just me! Perhaps it's both. . . I just pray they're not the death of me, maker forbid. . .

Staring even more intently into the plate before him he squints as he grabs a piece of stale bread off his plate -- sniffing at it, he seems somewhat revulsed before dropping the petrified chunk back onto his plate with an audible crash. . . it was certainly loud enough to draw the heads of several other legionnaires. Leo grins awkwardly trying to shrug off his gaff before listening to Thomas pipe up.

Anything would be a marked improvement over week-old rations. . .

Swallowing his apprehensiveness, Leo responds. "Ummm, the market sounds good -- something, anything that won't shatter my teeth is worth the walk. . . I wouldn't be surprised if this kitchen is cutting their baking powder with mega-crete."

Blinking awkwardly, Leo stands and tidies his space as he prepares to leave.
Leo IV

Bennies: 5/3

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • ISP: 20/30
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Ash looked up at Thomas' offer, a little torn. On the one hand, she didn't like being in the debt of strangers. On the other, it WOULD be nice to get some better food. Gah, what was she worried about? What was he going to do, hold a lunch over her head?! Get a grip.

With a shrug she said, "Sure, I'm in. Where's good around here?"
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"There is a pretty good place just outside the wall called Spider's Pub. The food is much better, and the burgers taste like they have meat in them.
"Let's get out of here. "

Looking around the table to see who else is in the mood for food that taste good.
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Special Abilities:
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

As the team contemplates better food, a server walks by with a tray topped with two large, steaming, fresh from the grill steaks. These were prime cuts, not the stringy stuff the cafeteria called "steak". Twice baked potatoes with all the fixings, fresh asparagus in garlic butter, and a bottle of fine wine.

The server exited out to a balcony, where a highly attractive young man with dirty blonde hair sat in a nice suit at a candlelit table beneath the ley line and stars with a dark-haired, green-eyed young woman in a little black dress.

[Heh. Couldn't resist ;)]
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Vik

Post by Vik »

KahlessNestor wrote:The server exited out to a balcony, where a highly attractive young man with dirty blonde hair sat in a nice suit at a candlelit table beneath the ley line and stars with a dark-haired, green-eyed young woman in a little black dress.
The romantic dinner appears to be going swimmingly, until a drunken Vik stumbles out of the kitchen clutching a half-eaten turkey leg and a bottle of cooking sherry.

"Waddya mean beans ain't proper breakfast victuals? Are you barbarians? Wanking wankers? Fah!" he says, before stumbling into the table where the blond man and his date are dining.

"Oh, 'scuse me noble sir, I appear to have interrupted ... oh my ruddy starving savior. Jesus J. Martin. You're the Maverick! I've seen you! They play those security tapes in all the little peep shows in El Paso. You know, the ones as was recorded when you were shagging that red-headed bird in the security booth. And the brunette later on the balcony. I heard you got friendly with a robot, once, some Terminator-type, all soft on the outside, titanium-alloy on the inside. What was that like? I reckon she had some, ah, mechanical improvements, eh? Like vibrations and stuff? Sex-bots! Man, the Maverick! Myth, legend, man-whoring across the rugged wastes like an avenging angel of mercy. Ever do mercy sex, like with some old bird, like geriatric? I've often wondered about whether, you know, experience, would make it like ... oh, you're having the steak. Mmmm, not sure I would, after seeing the raw materials. I'm all for aged beef, but when it gets to wriggling, even fire ain't gonna fix that. Stick with the chicken, or turkey. Turkey-bird? Is that what the knife-man called it? Terror-bird, that's it. Terror-bird legs for days and days ... oh, 'scuse me. Where's my manners. Name's Vik. Big, big fan of the Maverick. Oh, don't mind that, just a little grease from the chicken. Bird. Terror chicken. Aye. And you are a very lovely lady. I hope Mr. Maverick is treating you right. Eh, wink wink. Already treated you, I'd wager, and now you're getting a bite before Round 2. Is that a stain on your dress? You naughty girl. Oof, I'm feeling a mite spinny, I admit. This sherry is doing a little pirouette in my guts ... just going to step over to the balcony ... ooomp ... hagh ... geurghl ... Ah, s'right. Say, ever considered adding a third?"
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

The blonde man didn’t look too pleased at the crude interruption.

“I’m sorry, Tatiana,” he said, standing up. He grabbed the back of Vik’s collar and hauled the man up from the balcony, careful not to get any residual vomit on his nice suit. “Sorry, mate, but I think you’ve had a bit much to drink and should sleep it off.” He helped Vik back to his seat. “And I don’t typically kiss and tell, but yes, mercy sex. Your mother.”

Brushing his hands up, the handsome man locked eyes with Ashley. He gave her a brilliant, knee-melting smile.

“You have charming friends, my dear,” the Maverick said, taking Ashley’s hand and lifting it to his lips. “I wish I had time to get to know you. But, alas…” He glanced over at the dark-haired Russian waiting for him. “Perhaps another time.”
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"Okay, well that was awkward. Let's get a move on shall we?"

As he gathers up the others coming Thomas heads out to Spider's.

"This place is great, many of the heroes come here to hang out and enjoy them selves. But more importantly we can have food that taste delicious, without having to be a legend ourselves." Thinking to himself he would still like to know how they acquired a good tasting steak in that dreadful castles mess hall.

After the food is ordered and everyone has a nice drink in their hand Thomas starts the conversation. "So, what brought you to Castle Refuge?"
OOC Comments
He would ask whomever is paying attention, for the conversation. So which ever player is will to chat works great.
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Caught by surprise, Ashley didn't have time to try to avoid having her hand taken, so she let it happen rather than be rude and snatch it away. His eyes boring into hers were unexpectedly terrifying and fascinating; she couldn't look away.

"Uh...sure, okay," she replied dazedly, stealing a glimpse at the other girl. "Another time."

As she left the place with Thomas a few minutes later she was cursing herself in her mind. Stupid...stupid...stupid...

Fortunately the restaurant had a sort of friendly, upbeat vibe to it that did a lot to lift Ash's spirits. She took a drink from her glass of water and decided to go first.

"I was just getting tired of being on my own," she said. "Always having to watch my back, always wondering if this job was actually going to pay or not. I guess there's a kind of freedom to it, but..."

The burster shrugged.

"I wanted something different. But, you know, most places that are hiring bursters..." She trailed off for a moment, trying to find a diplomatic way to put it. "...I mean, I know what I am. I just wanted some control over who I get pointed at. The Legion seemed like I'd have that."
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

The haste of the impromptu exchange between the Vik and the anonymous individual unbeknownst to himself was something akin to background noise as Leo was just about prepared to shove off -- what really snatched his attention happened to be the prime steaks. . . and edible fixings! Leo double takes as the aromatic cutlets waft by his person and he once again looks in bewildered confusion as to how exactly he was expected to digest what he could only assume was actual mortar. All the while something of an argument regarding somebodies mother. . .

Their mother?!

Leo raises an eyebrow in surprise having essentially absorbed nothing of the conversation up to that point. Sighing he dusts his hands off as he makes his way out of the mess hall and towards this mysterious eatery -- unfortunately for Leo, in transit, he caught the slightest hint of memory that nearly toppled him mid-stride. Barely able to catch himself, he tries to catch his breath before shaking his head. Turning his head to look back timidly, Leo loses his mettle and just as quickly whips it back, hurrying his pace.

As everyone enters Spider's Leo sits, no, almost falls down in his seat before shakily downing a glass of water, his eyes planted firmly in his empty cup. If he weren't covered in a velvety plush, Leo would be flushed red.

I nearly forgot. . .

Anxiously tapping his fingers on the glass, Leo turns to Ashley as she begins to speak -- although listening has done little to calm his nerves, he quickly found himself empathizing with Ashley's situation. . .

I've only been on my own for a few months. . . I couldn't imagine what would've happened if I had. . . if she hadn't helped us escape the magi.

Leo's chest was still pounding, but at least he had something to take his mind off it -- while ruminating over a response, a curious piece of rock manages to find its way into Leo's hand. Clearing his throat, "Yeah. . . I was on my own before. . . I know how that feels. . ." His eyebrows pip-up as he realizes he might have been a touch too vague, "Not that I know who's hiring bursters, that. . . that would be absurd, I just fix things. . . yup. . . just an engineer." Staring back into his cup, he forces a laugh.

Having his thoughts distracted was making an already uncomfortable task immeasurably worse. . . he realized he was babbling essentially, but he couldn't help but over-clarify. Tacitly he wasn't sure how comfortable people were with dog-boys (not that he was either), let alone those with his unique talents. Not to mention, her. . .

Forcing a smile Leo tags a waiter, "The largest, choice bovine steak you have sir, rrrrouugh!" Leo couldn't keep a coarse bark from escaping every now and again, especially when he was flustered. "Sous vide if you please." Attempting to play off the already awkward moment, he figures he can move past the bark if he tries to contribute to the conversation.

Attempting to wear as earnest a face he can muster, Leo pips up, "I, uh, sorta came here after I encountered Dunscon's minions prowling the country-side. . . I can't really go back home, so I figured I might as well try to help if I can. The Legion seemed like an honorable cause. . . especially after they saved those people."
Last edited by Leonard IV on Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo IV

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Ash leaned forward a bit as the questions circling her mind pressed to the forefront again.

"So...you've really never been in a Coalition State? You weren't in a Dog Pack, or...any of that? How is that even..."

She trailed off abruptly with realization.

"Sorry. This is probably kind of personal. You don't really have to answer any of that."
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

At this point, Leo looks almost as if he'd completely settled down from whatever event spooked him on the way to the bar. This was nearly the first actual conversation he'd had since he'd been at Castle Refuge. . . Looking somewhat lost at the mention of the Coalition he shrugs.

"Never, I honestly hadn't even heard of the CS (he struggles a bit with the C) until just over a month or so ago. . ." He frowns a bit at the mention of a Dog Pack, "Um, well, no. I hate to sound foolish, but I'm not even really sure what that is. . . is that a type of gang or something? I assure you, I've never been in any trouble with any law!" Looking rather sheepish, he stumbles over his words, clearly guessing at the myriad of possibilities and associations being attached to the term.

Dog pack. . . is that derogatory? Is that how errant Canis sapiens organize themselves. . .

Truthfully, he was a bit unsure of how to respond. Ashley had him at a cultural disadvantage, so to speak. Hesitantly, Leo more obviously beings fiddling with the small piece of quartz in his hand as he works up a response. "Oh it's uh, not too personal, I suppose -- I mean is it odd? To not be in a Dog Pack, that is? I apologize for my ignorance, I just didn't realize how different my upbringing was. . . see we're monster hunters. . . well, not me personally. . . but my brothers, and my family, as it were. . ." realizing he's bumbling somewhat, Leo purses his lips and wracks his brain for any speck of relative experience he can conjure to better explain the world he took for granted. Struken by a flash of Eureka, Leo's eyes brighten, "Glitterboys! That's what everybody calls them right? I could've sworn I heard some Legionnaires refer to them by that name -- right, well my kin are Glitterboy pilots! We have been since before the time of darkness, or at least that's what's recorded in the archives."

Only half pleased with himself, Leo recalls the particular incident that led to his self-imposed exile.

Maybe I can tell her about my powers, or whatever it is. . . although, she seems somewhat skittish around me -- is it all "dog-boys" I wonder. Probably safer not too. . .

Clearly lost in his own mind at this point, a deluge of various fire and plasma related injuries race through his head.
Leo IV

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sensing the concerns and noticing the look in the dog boys face Thomas smiles and says. "Dog Packs are what the Coalition dog boys call them selves when they are organized in units. Most of the people like my self are terrified of them, because they tend to be highly efficient at hunting us down and killing us.
"No offense was meant we are only showing interest."
Sputtering a tiny bit from his tea going down the wrong path Thomas is shocked. The potential of an entire unit of Glitter Boys all with the genetically engineered loyalty of dog boys Thomas wishes he had met Leonard's family before now. "A whole unit of Glitter Boy pilots. I imagine you never really had much trouble growing up with passing bandits.
"So does your family still protect that area. Strange to leave a place of such safety to come here with the Legion."
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

Rather taken aback at the revelation, an admixture of both abhorrence and embarrassment, that he didn't make the correlation between the Coalition and these Dog Packs earlier. In a tone betwixt somber bewilderment and stunned pragmatism, Leo acknowledges Thomas's information, "Oh, I see . . ."

Staring intently into his glass again, he furrows his brow at the notion of such unabashed brutality -- suddenly his trepidatious reception at the hands of Tolkeen refugees seemed a bit less arbitrary. Thus far, having never crossed paths with the Coalition, Leo considered himself fortunate indeed, not that it made the associations with such an organization any more tolerable.

I couldn't imagine hunting magicians down like animals, or psychics . . . not that there ever was a psychic Schparklebutt . . .

Leo's stream of consciousness managed to keep pace with Thomas's next inquiry regarding his home, forcing a laugh, he wasn't sure how exactly he should broach the topic. "Hrmm, well yes, the USA-G10 does have impressive firepower, legendary, really -- we never had any problems with bandits, although there were many, many false allies and trojan horses that would try to sneak in to get their hands on a suit. All that considered, I suppose it never really occurred to me how different it was outside the bunker. As to why I left . . ."

Leo dons a morose candor, running a finger along the circumference of his glass, "Well it wasn't by choice . . .", then suddenly forcing a laugh as if the memory were embarrassing rather than painful -- which to an extent it was. "Well, I was out surveying some of the external utilities of the bunker when a magical storm of some kind broke loose. I, uh, got lost in the chaos and was disoriented for what seemed like days. I can't really describe how nauseous I was. Honestly, I've never felt anything like that before . . . but when I finally gathered my senses, well . . ." At this point, Leo pauses, his face flushing nearly through his silvered coat. "Ermm, it's rather embarrassing really. We don't hide our bunker, but, the thing is . . . you see . . . I managed to drive quite a ways in the storm . . . and I can't . . ." Clearing his throat, Leo's voice hits something of a low rasp, "Find my way home . . ." Tapping the ends of his index fingers together, Leo looks rather sheepish at having finally admitted, albeit somewhat censored, the reason for his eventual enlistment with the Legion.

Coughing hesitantly, to change the subject, Leo feels emboldened to perhaps inquire a bit more about "Dog Boys" given that little parcel of information regarding the Coalition, "So are there no Dog Boys, as you call them, outside of the CS? I just find it hard to believe there aren't more groups like my own . . ." pausing a bit, Leo recounts several key stories -legends even- about the dark ages and the near destruction of the Earth as a whole, ". . . well, maybe it isn't outlandish for us to be an extraordinary exception."

Although thankful for the conversation, Leo is perturbed by what he was hearing regarding the nature of foreign Dog Boys -- as there was certainly no correlation between his ilk and the Coalition. Not that the lack of camaraderie was of any concern, but the stigma it afforded him seemed questionable. Sure he had seen proper humans, and a myriad of other strange sapient beings before, but they were always travelers, or guests, naturally they were pleasant folk. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made it past the guardians. He just never thought of himself being seen as an animal, let alone an attack dog . . . present company excluded, but it certainly gave new light to certain comments he had received.
Leo IV

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"There are plenty of dog boys outside the CS. But most of them where created in Lone Star or another CS facility and escaped. I do not know that I have ever heard of another group like yourself living free as they all should be.
"It is truly a good thing to know they are out there and free somewhere."
Thinking on Leo's story a bit Thomas says. "I wonder if you where actually lost. Perhaps you went through rift or a dimensional flux from a ley line storm. I have never known one of your kind to actually get lost."
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

Leo meditates on the information imparted by Thomas, or more specifically, he recalls this having been the second time he's heard of Lone Star.

Lone Star, isn't that where Ashely is from? It's probably best not to ask...

Shaking his head, Leo questions the probability of his elders having imparted almost no knowledge of the CS, and more importantly their vast influence over Dog Boys. Thomas's answers seemed to only stoke the fires of Leo's curiosity, apparently, the archives back home were woefully out of date. . . but that would carry distressing implications regarding the emergence of Dog Boys, thoughts best left for a later time, perhaps.

Leo trips over a response as Thomas inquires about the specifics, "I honestly hadn't considered that." Rubbing his temples in anxious worry at the notion of being trapped in a parallel universe, "No, I don't think so, maybe? No, regardless I never really had much geographic or terrestrial training -- sure, I'm perfectly capable of following a trail, but it wasn't really my function to have a workable sense of direction. Not to mention, I, well -- I may have lost consciousness during that miserable storm. My head felt like it was going to burst, I could barely keep my eyes open. . . Oh, I should've stayed inside."

Hesitant to reveal his status as essentially a runaway, Leo was lost, but he wasn't sure just how welcome he would be back home to make searching in earnest worthwhile. . .

And then, before Leo could properly finish his train of thought, he turned dreadfully wide-eyed and dropped the piece of rock quartz grasped firmly in his hand. "Is it just me or did it get suddenly very warm in here?"

Just as suddenly, the piece of rock begins to hover, orbiting his head at a jovial pace -- albeit beyond Leo's notice.

A raucous shout echoes through the bar in a thick Chicano accent, "Hey, has anyone seen a little perrito in here!!!" With precious little time between the initial question, a rather tall, dusky woman pushes her way through the bar, several endearing colloquialisms accenting each shove until she gregariously leans on the bar just inches away from Leo "¿Cómo estás, precioso? I've been looking all over for you, mi amado."

If it was difficult to tell that Leo was blushed before, he's essentially a beacon of red at this point. "H-how are you?" All but paralyzed in unadulterated awkwardness, Leo sort of stares at the woman; a tightly wound bun, accented with a myriad of glowing, neon ribbons making her extremely visible.

Noticing the hovering rock, the woman grabs it and then hands it to Leo before squeezing him in a large hug. Smiling, the woman does something of a squee before booping Leo on the nose with a polished nail. "You're too much when you're nervous, papi!" Getting up to leave, this mysterious woman flashes a look over her shoulder towards the still stunned Leo. "Just came to tell you that I worked out a contract with your boss -- you'll be seeing a lot more of me, Leonardo", and with that she makes her way back out of the bar, shoving several more patrons as she forces her way out of the bar. "Out of my way, Gringo!"

At this point, Leo begins to shimmer an iridescent blue, as if composed of translucent fractals for the faintest moment before falling through his stool to the ground, squarely landing on his rump. "B-bye, Guadalupe. . ." sitting on the ground, poor Leo is dazed and can't really lift himself up for a spell. After a while, Leo sits back on his stool, giving his meal the thousand-yard stare.
Leo IV

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Ashley breaks into a grin at all that.

"So...some history there? With Guadalupe?" she presses. "Who is she?"
Marvin
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Marvin »

I don’t normally do this, but I hear the castle councilors say this is a good experience. I like experience it helps me get better. Usually at killing, not that these sweet things need to know.
Mr. Marvin grabs a plate of steaming wet mush and a cold glass of milk. His hand shakes whdn he sits down.
Suppose it has been a day or so. He smiles at Ashly and Thomas.
Wow, I really do need experience. Sounds like they are talking about Guadalupe.
Bennies
Bennies: 2/3
Leonard IV

Post by Leonard IV »

Leo stammers in response to Ashley, still largely befuddled by the whole exchange, "W-well, yes -- I suppose an explanation is in order. She, G-guadalupe that is, saved me and some refugees, as it were." Throwing his head back, resting betwixt his interwoven hands, Leo stares off towards the ceiling as if watching the memory (or trauma) play out, "She's from the Pecos Empire, I think -- she doesn't talk about it, really. I only overheard that much from some of her associates, something about *robbing* hovertrains." Leo mumbles regarding that particular verbiage, seemingly embarrassed by the notion. "Honestly, I, um. Well you see, I've never really asked what she does. Officially, that is."

Well, she never expressly said she robs anyone -- that gentleman only tacitly implied that she does. Completely circumstantial.

Half-lying to himself, Leo again staggers the conversation with an errant course of thought -- only to snap back, with a look of mild dread across his face. "No need for the whole story, right? That would just be superfluous -- certainly, so."

In his anxious befuddlement, Leo doesn't notice Marvin slip into the bar -- he seems woefully preoccupied with his own conceptions of what constitutes social impropriety among humans.
Leo IV

Golden Bennie 1/1

Quick-Stats
  • Parry 5
  • Tougness 11(5)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

listening in on the conversation Thomas is interested now. A romantic interest Leo is embarrassed by could be amazing if he needed to get the guy into helping him latter. He could offer to help her out of a tight spot or do work for her in ways that would never motivate the dog boy if he offered to him directly. "Of course not. You know it is stuff like this, talking and sharing our personal stories that helps a team get to know each other. I may not be one the inside like the rest of you with all the military experience. But i know that health bonding is important in any team."
Patting Leo on the should her finishes. "I would love to hear more. But if you are uncomfortable with it I don't want to pressure you. To tell the truth, I feel like I am learning so much from all of you and you are turning out to have such rich experiences in life that I feel like I have been missing out."
Then Thomas thinks to himself. Really these guys seem pretty cool, if none of them try to kill him, then he could really get used to these guys. Heck, maybe they could really turn into friends, as long as they don't act like family.
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Time: Dinner

Charlemagne wanders into the dining area. Claiming a table with many seats, he sits. "A vegetable medley, and a wine in red. Wine, which cheereth God and man, as the Holy Bible says." He ponders the events of the days before, with special focus on the combat with the rhino-buffalo and stirges. On a pad of paper, he scribes notes to himself about combat resource management, team member strengths and weaknesses, and an evaluation of the command structure. Thomas shows a lack of initiative. Good in reserve, but cannot be relied on for front-line combat. Must instill a genuine concern for the members of his team. Appeal to self-preservation.

A sip of pinot noir, and additional notes. Marvin is bold, perhaps too bold. His prowess in battle leads him to overconfidence, and a tendency to charge out ahead of reinforcement. Light restraint should be exerted to prevent overextension of personnel.

He looks around the dining room. Truly, he never seems to take his eyes off of the surrounding people. Vik...Almighty, grant me understanding. How can I command him when I struggle to understand the words he speaks? Are those even words? Still, he is bold and has no concern for his own body, as evidenced by some of his stories of excessive drunkenness.

A faint smile crosses his lips. Karsk...he is a valuable asset. Verbosity can be mistaken for intellect and wisdom, while silence is thought to be dimness. Not here. There is impact in his words, and little embellishment. It is good to have a second who does not bloviate. His talents are formidable.

A bite of broccoli, and additional musing. Ashley is raw power. Her ability to accurately direct such amazing displays of carnage is awesome. As artillery is protected by the infantry, so must she be protected. Dare I say, she could stand in the flames of hell and not break a sweat.

He allows himself a laugh. Leo...Schparkle-Butt. He is a delight to have. Such innocence is seldom found in a world such as this. Sadly, logistics are just one facet of a many-faced assignment. We shall have to see what comes of exposure to more combat. Until he proves himself, keep him in reserve.

He continues making other tactical notes while enjoying his glass of wine.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Bennies: 4
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks
Toughness: 22 (12) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 30 / 30
Active Powers: cyber armor
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Charlemagne spots the professor, and calls them over. "Professor! Come, join me! I was just enjoying this fine grape. Please, sit." The professor obliges, and the two talk of history, both distant past and very recent. The professor shares several insights from other generals throughout history. Napoleon, Hannibal, Genghis Khan. Charlemagne muses. "Those tactics might be thought cowardly, but in the correct terrain, are devastatingly effective. You must discover the enemy's strength and be able to counter it."
The professor replies. "This is true, but no army of manageable size can counter every tactic. You must focus."
Charlemagne nods, but opines. "Focus, true. However, basic military tactics should be within the scope of any moderately trained fighting unit. Speed flanking maneuvers have been a part of military history since the beginning of time. The advance - volley - retreat was something unheard of at that time. If you cannot defend against the flank, you are helpless against the specialized maneuvers."
The two end up disposing of another bottle of wine between them before their night ends. Charlemagne bids the professor a good evening, then retires to his quarters, having completed his analysis of his own team, and pondered the tactics and strategy of history's greats. One can never cease study. Wisdom and discernment can be found unabridged if you are willing to look back far enough. Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Barinthasheer
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Barinthasheer »

As the Trailblazers enjoy their much deserved relaxation a large reptilian form glides over the town wall from the west. Invisible but for a faint outline it lands near the trees behind the convent and collapses into the form of an humanoid child. Seeing no one around the boy becomes visible and begins to head to the sounds of people. Looking somewhere between 8 and 10 years of age the bot has dark red hair with layers of gold weaving thru it like the grain in well stained wood. He wears only an adult sized tunic that is beginning to fray along the hem. The children of the various refugees and residents being children treat the whole ordeal like a big picnic have found a ball and invented a game and the newcomer gravitates twords them. He doesn't stand on the sidelines long before a couple of the kids come over to greet him.

"Hi, I'm Tammy Farnsworth. This is my brother Will. … You have pretty red eyes, they sparkle. Wanna play bumble ball?" The older of the two says after a moment of intense study.

A smile breaks on the face of the new boy where previously he had looked apprehensive. "I'm Barinthasheer. Yes please, but I know not the hows."

"It's ok, rules are always changin anyways."

The children run off to play happily until the late dinner is served, the sibling proud to introduce their new friend to the other kids and teach what they could of the chaotic game. Dinner time came and when the other children went to eat with their families Barinthasheer found himself alone. Squire Reynolds noticing the lone ragged child brings the boy a plate and bids him so sit with him. Much more reserved around the older and armed squire it takes some coaxing, somewhat grasping the root of the boys fear the squire tells of his orders respect for all good peoples as well as their many and varied allies. This relaxes Barinthasheer some and he sits sampling the offered food but then setting it aside. "Would you like something else perhaps? I just loaded the plate with whatever."

"No, that's fine Mr. almost-knight, I'm not hungry."

The teens grins, "It's squire, but I guess that's technically right. Do you have any people here kiddo? Parents or family?"

"No they left, I came here by myself. Is that where the other younglings went?"

"Yes, since you're alone maybe you should stay here tonight. We'll get you some clean clothes, a bath, and a safe room for the night. Then tomorrow we'll figure out what to do with you, because it's almost my turn on the wall."

The dragon hatchling follows the squire to get new clothes and try his first bath, excited to spend the night somewhere he won't be harried by vampires. It was even nicer to be accepted, not attacked or chased off. Not knowing how long he could stay human he was determined to find out.
Barinthasheer
Pace: 6/12 flying; Parry: 7 Toughness: 50 (30)/10 in human
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/5; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: ISP 13/20; PPE 9/10
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Cards

• Characters Imperator (GM account), Barinthasheer, Aggelos, Xiang, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Kyrin Brand[/ooc]
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Notice [dice:2q2nrmuh]42345:0[/dice:2q2nrmuh] wild [dice:2q2nrmuh]42345:1[/dice:2q2nrmuh]
Nazo soaks quietly in a long tub with warm water. Her ever constant wide brimmed black hat drawn over her face. Next to the tub four bottles of Sake lay strewn across the floor and one is standing upright full of the precious liquid. In her hand an ordinary looking dagger roatates across her knuckles with drunken finesse.
Magdalena’s are nice to bath... A demon greaaaattttt! Nazo slay this oni, Nazo slay that oni. Nazo the body is more important than the soul. You can’t feed the soul chicken soup. Really do tell? What can you feed the soul oh mighty leader? Seems small for a demon...
With speech not from this realm and a bit on the slurred side Nazo greets the supernatural child, ”Akuma no tame ni mijikai”
Combat info
Toughness: 18(7), Parry: 7, Pace: 13 (1)
Active Edges: Sixth Sense, Brave, Elan, quick, -2 to be hit
Isp: 20/20
Active Powers:
Loosing it (Str and Agility increase by two die types, fearless, beserk)

Weapons:
Main hand: celestial blade
Off hand: soul forged dagger
Wrists: altaran blasters
Back: staff of life
Pack: mental incapacitator

Bennies: 4/3
+1 for taking worst rolls
Barinthasheer
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Barinthasheer »

Leading Bari to the bathhouse squire Reynolds stops to greet a magdellena acolyte.

"Uh, hey Nara you on the wall tonight? Yeah me too, I'm just showing Barintha... Barin here the bathhouse and I'll be right there. He's an orphan that came in with the refugees." Barin notices the lad talks in an entirely different tone to the young woman than he does either himself or the elder male, Simon who confirmed the squires invitation on meeting the young wyrm.

"Hello Barin, I hope you like it here." Briefly glancing at the squire with a slight blush, "I have to go now, see you on the wall Reynolds."

"Hello Nara, people here are very nice. I am very much looking forward to trying this bath." Barinthasheer beams at the teen acolyte and waving enthusiastically as she turns.

Reynolds leads the child towards the bath house a few more feet before he abdicates hospitality for hormones. "So that's the bath house there. There are towels and soap, here are your new clothes. Just head back to the room I showed you when you're done, OK? I gotta run buddy, guard duty and all." The team turns and jogs after his paramour, calling for her to wait.

Shrugging the boy heads into the nearest door on the bathhouse, on rounding the corner inside he finds himself in the open doorway of a bathing room its tub inhabited by one of the heroes. A wide hat adorns her head even in the tub and a dagger twirls in her fingers. ”Akuma no tame ni mijikai”

"Um, hello hero lady. I am sorry I do not know those words. You have a very nice hat."[/b] Barin replies nervously, something in her tone and the dagger making him anxious.

In a alcove further down one of the acolytes over hears their exchange. "There better not be a boy in here or the elder sisters will tan his hide.." she intones loudly.

"I'm sorry, miss. I did not know there was different sides. Please don't have me tanned." Barin squeaks as he quickly retreats from the womens baths."
Separate baths and tanning people for getting it wrong?? Is that why the hat lady looked scary? Humans are strange. Heading around the to the other side of the building to take his bath he wonders what other strange new things he will learn today.
Barinthasheer
Pace: 6/12 flying; Parry: 7 Toughness: 50 (30)/10 in human
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/5; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: ISP 13/20; PPE 9/10
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Cards

• Characters Imperator (GM account), Barinthasheer, Aggelos, Xiang, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Kyrin Brand[/ooc]
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Quick for a little demon aren’t you? I’ll hunt you in a sec. Nazo could have cast Magic net, could have leaped out and stabbed her soul forged dagger twirling in her hands into the demon’s chest. But instead she grabbed the nearly full bottle of Sake standing upright among the four other wayward and emptied bottles. Holding out to the little demon she says, ”Kore o nonde, watashitachiha tatakau”. While perhaps her words were slurred and from a far off realm her meaning to stay and drink was perhaps clear enough. She slid deeper into the sud filled tub drawing her hat closer to her face while danggling the bottle in-front of the demon child.
Combat info
Toughness: 18(7), Parry: 7, Pace: 13 (1)
Active Edges: Sixth Sense, Brave, Elan, quick, -2 to be hit
Isp: 20/20
Active Powers:
Loosing it (Str and Agility increase by two die types, fearless, beserk)

Weapons:
Main hand: celestial blade
Off hand: soul forged dagger
Wrists: altaran blasters
Back: staff of life
Pack: mental incapacitator

Bennies: 4/3
+1 for taking worst rolls
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Having had more than one beer after Charlemagne's generous offer, Ryder finally staggered back to the Aeon Cassowary sometime in the wee hours. Thirteen Hells, what am you thinking, Ryder? It's one thing to not pass by folks in need, Ryder, but this... A town surrounded by Vampires? I got no business here. Okay, so I did the Good Samaritan thing, got everyone here safe and sound, and got paid in a nice case of Malort. He looked over at the as-yet-untouched wormwood liquor. Time to call it a good deal. Come morning, I can head out of here, while the getting's good. He removed his armor almost by rote, making sure it was placed for easy access, and shut down the interior lights before laying down on the cot.

His last thought before unconsciousness was simply, Pity. They seem like a good crew. An' Ashley made a decent co-driver...
Ryder
Veteran Trimadore MARS Operator
OOC Comments
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4 (d12+1 w/armor), Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6 (8 in Armor); Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (6) MDC; Strain: 4; Reach: 1; Starting Bennies: 8
Skills:
Athletics d4 (+1 Urban Climbing); Fighting d6; Shooting d8 (+1 w/ Calibrated weapons)
Boating d4; Driving d12; Piloting d4 (All get +2 with Vehicle Interface, ignore 2 points penalty)
Electronics d8 (Free Reroll); Hacking d6; Repair (Sm) d8+2 (Free Reroll, +2)
Thievery d8+1; Stealth: d6 (+1 Urban); Persuasion d4; Common Knowledge d4
Notice d8+4 (+2/Free Reroll vs. Surprise, +2 to spot ambushes/explosive traps, +2 Visual, ignore illumination)
Edges:
Ace, Alertness, Brave, Combat Ace, Connections (Black Market), Demolitionist, Elan, Field Intel, Gearhead, McGuyver, Mr. Fix-it, Reliable, Steady Hands, Thief
Hindrances: Alien Physiology, Big-Boned, Major D-Bee, Major Wanted (FedMagic). Quirk, Stubborn
Cybernetics: Expanded Detection & Security Array, Vehicle Interface Package, Core Electronics Package
Gear:
NG-EX10 Gladius Exoskeleton EBA (+4 vs. Environmental Hazards, immune disease/airborne poison) w/Multi-Optics Helmet
Solar Wyrm Rifle: Range 24/48/96; 60 Shots; RoF 4/3/3 (1/5/10/20); 4d6 AP 4; Heavy Pulse (RoF 1, MD, Snapfire, 3 Shots, +1 Shooting/+3 Damage); Enhanced Targeting (Total Shooting d10+3 before Pulse); Solar Trapping
Grenade Launcher (RoF 1, Damage by Grenade, 18/36/72, Shots 12, Load cycles: AP, Frag, HEx, Plasma)
Impact Maul (2-Handed, +4 to Break Things, Str+2d8+4 MD)
Assorted Grenades and Explosives
Aeon Cassowary
Size: 7 (Large); Toughness: 40 (20) MDC
Handling: +1; Top Speed: 120 MPH
Crew: 2+8
ATV; ECC; STS (Ignore Illumination; +2 Notice w/ Sensors; Ignore 2 points Range/MAP, no Unstable Platform for mounted weapons)
Mini Rail Gun (50/100/200; Damage: 2d10+2 MD AP 6; RoF: 4 (1/5/10/20); Shots: 30; Anti-Personnel, Reaction Fire in Chases)
"Helios" Solar Cannon (150/300/600; RoF: 4/3/3; Shots: N/A; 3d10 MD, AP 20; Solar Trapping; Enhanced Targeting gives total Shooting d10+3
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Ashley was having trouble getting to sleep. Maybe the commotion over in the bathhouse was part of it...she could hear someone yammering something about a boy dimly through her window. But mostly it was just trepidation about vampires, lingering worries about them getting into her head, and just...adjusting to the whole situation around here.

It'd been fun driving around, even if she kind of regretted asking what a 'cassowary' was. More than that, it'd been fun sitting in a cab with someone who didn't seem worried about melting into slag. Even if he maybe should have been. She'd served on more than one merc team, but most of them gave her a wide berth after seeing her in action. These guys were different, and it was nice.

But all those thoughts crashing around made her head too noisy to sleep, so she got up and went over to the well to lean on the railing and look down into the barely-visible water down below, and listen to the weird blind girl singing drunkenly...or was it talking? Drunk anyway.

At the sound of footsteps behind her, Ashley whirled without thinking, suddenly feeling horribly exposed in her striped pajama pants borrowed from the sisters, and her black T shirt.

It wasn't a vampire there though, but Charlemagne peering down at her.

Ash forced herself to swallow and give him a nod. He was alien, but seemed like a decent person aside from that.

"Hey."
Last edited by Ashley Logan on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

"Ashley, friend, what has you up this morning? I've heard rumblings. It may be time to wake even before the dawn. Are you troubled?" The Lyn-Srial knew the value of the girl standing in front of him from a strategic nature, but those under his command are always more than their strategic and tactical benefits. You must speak to a person's soul to electrify them to fight for something greater than themselves. In order to speak to their soul, you had to know it. To learn it. This one had been difficult to gauge. "I hope the spirits I've given you haven't made you ill. The bottle holds a fleeting joy until the morning comes. Then, all must pay the price." He chuckles, knowing even he let his guard down in partaking of the fruit of the vine.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness