Fort Hope: Orders and Interludes

KahlessNestor

Fort Hope: Orders and Interludes

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: September 4, 109 PA
Time: 0610
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, heavy rain
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
  • Light: Dim -1 (ley line is quite bright)
  • Visibility: -2 from the rain
Round 0

The soldiers help clear the brodkil bodies away. Burning them proves difficult in the heavy rain, until Ashley comes over to help. Luckily the light wind sends the smoke away from the fort.

Despite the rain, Lt. Winston is more than happy to give Charlemagne and anyone else the tour of the fort. The camp is surrounded by earthworks dug up from the local soil, leaving a six foot dry moat -- though with the rain it is mostly mud -- around the fort, and about a six foot wall of earth, twelve feet with the moat. There is no gate in the earthworks, so the soldiers let down some ramps and ladders for the team to climb inside. The mercenaries and laborers are left out on the beach or the surrounding grasslands as the barge crew unloads the Trailblazers’ supplies.

Two campfires burn low, with two-man tents spaced around them for the two Legion squads. A command tent and tents for the technical squad sit near the east side of the fort near a tarp-covered supply dump. There is maybe just enough room for the Trailblazers to fit their own tents inside the west end of the fort, but no way they are going to fit in everyone. Four cottonwoods within the walls of the earthworks provide makeshift spotter and sniper nests. It is clear this operation is very bare bones at the moment.

Lt. Winston leads the team into the command tent where they can get out of the rain. There is a cot set up along the back side of the large tent with a table filled with maps and paperwork taking up the majority. He orders some strong coffee for the group. It is nearly dawn.

“As you can see, we weren’t set up to handle this many people,” Lt. Winston said, lighting a cigar and pouring himself a brandy. “I didn’t have much to work with when I was given my orders to post up here, just my men and our standard issue gear. But you seem to have brought a lot of supplies that will be helpful.”

Winston looked to Charlemagne. “I was given clear orders that, despite the fact that I outrank you, we are separate chains of command, and I am to follow your orders when you are available. My men and I are here primarily for the defense of the fort, but use as as you see fit. We have been doing standard patrols around the fort within the five mile radius of our comms, except for across the river into Coalition territory. We only have visual on the far bank.”

Winston produced a map showing where they had scouted.

Captain Norris ducked into the tent with the team, wringing rainwater out of his hat. “I’m about to set off again soon,” he said. “Anything you want relayed back to the Legion offices in Baldur’s Ferry?” He held out a recording device so that Charlemagne could make sure his order got in properly.
Orders
Here is where you can start giving orders for how you want to develop Fort Hope. Take a look at the Resource Tracker and the Fort Hope details to see what you have to work with. We will use the SPC Headquarters Building rules.

Things to include:
  • Give your laborers orders on what you wish done.
  • Give Winston orders beyond his basic (protect fort, patrol zone).
  • Give Captain Norris an order before he leaves
    • Resource Requisition: Ask Castle Refuge for resources
      • Charlemagne roll Persuasion to make your case. Ask for what you’d like. Your number of successes will determine how much of it you get. You may ask for priority, otherwise it will be randomly determined.
      • You may ask for Resource Points (Supplies, Build, Military, Labor, or Legionnaires). Or you may ask for something specific (a vehicle, a specific weapon, a piece of gear, NGR chocolate, maybe a building like a comm tower).
    • Trade: Send Resources you have with Norris to get an equal number of some other resource back.
      • A Persuasion roll may be made to give +1 per success to Captain Norris’ rolls. Raises on his rolls get you extra Resources in the trade.

EVERYONE: Write an Interlude.
  • Your Contacts are obviously going to want things. Write a scene with them coming to you with their requests.
  • Include in your interlude what your character will do to help out in the near future. Some possibilities:
    • Make an appropriate Trait roll to help in whatever orders are given (to build, to forage for food, to do reconnaissance, etc). You will be considered “taking the lead” in the task, and the NPC Contacts can Aid you.
    • Search for resources: Make a Survival roll (as above). A Success, roll 1d8 on the following options. A Raise, either roll for each success, or choose a specific option:
      • 1) You found some Salvage. Roll 1d6 Raw resources, 1d6 Supplies, or 1d6 Military
      • 2) You found a Food source, either a herd of animals, a stand of fruit trees, or a good fishing hole. Roll 1d6 Supplies. This resource can be used to establish a Farm later.
      • 3) You found a small Wood or stand of trees. Roll 1d6 Build Resources. This can be used to establish a logging camp later.
      • 4) You find a source of Stone. Roll 1d6 Build resources. This can be used to establish a quarry later.
      • 5) You find a vein of ore or gems. Roll 1d6 Build resources or 1d6 Raw resources. This can be used later to establish a Mine.
      • 6) You find a group of refugees. Roll 1d6 Labor
      • 7) You find a tribal trading post or a small village. Roll 1d6 of any resource you choose. A successful Persuasion roll can establish a trade relationship with Fort Hope.
      • 8) Your choice of above.
  • When you are done, take a benny or an Adventure Card and +1 XP.

Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Charlemagne (Cyberkinetic -2)
Thomas
Brianna
Nazo (Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick)
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
Map
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/7
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Karsk

Re: Fort Hope: Orders and Interludes

Post by Karsk »

Survival 10
OOC Comments
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
benny reroll

[dice]2[/dice]+2
[dice]3[/dice] Ace [dice]4[/dice]+2
[dice]5[/dice] You find a vein of ore or gems. Roll 1d6 Build resources or 1d6 Raw resources. This can be used later to establish a Mine. [dice]7[/dice] build resources
[dice]6[/dice] choice - You found a Food source, either a herd of animals, a stand of fruit trees, or a good fishing hole. Roll 1d6 Supplies. This resource can be used to establish a Farm later. - good fishing hole [dice]8[/dice]

Bill Sandyman assist [dice]9[/dice]

WIP
OOC Comments
"Karsk know places to look," the Simvan tells Captain Norris, "will find place to feed all these people."

As Karsk waited for Toad to finish eating the last of the Brodkil parts, Bill Sandyman nervously approaches.
"Excuse me, but you were Marvin's friend were you not?"

"Karsk friends with Lunch yes." karsk replies, brushing down Toad.

Bill looked a little unsure with that response, but after a few seconds hesitation pressed on.

"I overheard you say you know the area. I'm a famer by trade. Now, we expected that Marvin would be showing us what he needed us to do, but with his passing, I was wondering if you would be able to find someplace suitable."

As Toad chomped down

Here you go, Karsk like farming fish

"That wasn't exactly what I had in mind

Karsk reached out with his mind, causing the water to churn for a moment before

"Karsk's people not ones for growing things in the ground. We Hunt!" Karsk slaps his chest
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Trade 12 (3 resources),
Persuasion for Trades and Negotiations
Persuasion [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Extra Effort [dice]5[/dice]

Streetwise to ensure domestic peace by controlling or stopping undermining rumors and keep people loyal.
This is a stretch and may be vetoed.
Streetwise [dice]2[/dice] + Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Wild die [dice]3[/dice]
Lt. Winston must be new to the game if he has not learned to delegate yet. But that is okay everyone is new at some point and hopefully this means he will not have a bunch of hangups that need fixed. Thomas does what he can for getting Winston set up for the some good trades and makes a few calls. But his mind was really on other things. Butterbars here most likely does not understand the risk presented by the men under him, or worse the population.

With that in mind Thomas checks in secures his stuff and begins preparing himself. He was going to have to put some time in the streets and down town making sure people know the benefits of working with the Legion and himself.

All it really takes is smoothing over some hurt feeling here, perhaps buying a drink or two there. In the end people are happy to trust the Legion once they begin to identify the security, safety and benefits available.

This was the kind of ground work that most leaders never knew about or recognized. Only those from the streets themselves ever really understood the value of the population and common soldier. But Thomas was looking to the big picture and his best chances of success where to ensure the security of the Legion structure at this outpost.
Condition
Charisma +4 (Persuasion d8+4)
Parry 5 (1)
Armor 15 (10)

Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Personal PPE: 20/20
Staff PPE: 10/10
Amulet PPE: 10/10

Active Effects
  • Elemental Mastery
Bennies 4
  • 3 Reset of Quarter
    +1 Post rate
    -1 Extra Effort on Trade Roll for Fort Hope.
    +1 Benny for this post in progress here
Thomas (Rob T) status and conditions
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Staff: 10/10
Personal: 20/20*
Bran and Lana Bind the Summons Frost Pixies
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Pace: 4; Parry: 5*; Toughness: 3
Hindrances: Clueless, Impulsive
Edges: Very Attractive
Special Abilities:
„ Flight: Even the wingless Pixies possess a flying Pace of 12.
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
Vik

Post by Vik »

"Right. Well, there's your problem, for what, I mean, I bring you all these perfectly functionin' thermonucular reactors, I mean drag 'em clear down the rolling shivers on a floating bit of alu-minium, braving like inbred sea-lizards and them vomit-faced bro-demons, but you ain't got nuffin' to plug 'em into. I mean, bloody nuns'-nappies, man, you're still taking a shite inna hole inna ground. This just ain't, like, professional."

Vik's exasperation has reached new heights, what with the dirt and mud, and lack of anything very interesting or even vaguely technological. Charlize, a bottle of whiskey and a tent had been rather entertaining for the first 24 hours or so, but then the whiskey ran out and he'd made a comment about her eyes, or lack thereof, and been forcibly reminded why they always kept separate rooms whenever traveling together before.

" ... Needs her ruddy space, she says, like I'm not even the one what shot her and got her free from the slugs, I mean not just the little one that was freezing her brain or whatever, but like one a them big ugly ones all plugged into one a them barges, like, more snail-ish really but we still call 'em slugs cause what's the ruddy difference, I mean, still a buggering huge slime-shite tosser. But she ain't not right about it neither, place is all crowded and not a decent place to cut a bit of steel, you know, so we ain't sitting round churning muddy shite with our heels when it rains, you know, and no Gameboys or nothing just Marsha-Marsha-Marsha-marching round the circle and staring at each other for days and days and not a bloody still for miles. So Charlie, she says she needs space, so's we're gonna 'spansion this whole bit, over here, move it on a bit out to that glowing ley line, so's to tap into a bit of the blue juice. Make it easier to work a bit of the finger-wiggling tinker-tink, you know, if I can find meself some crystals and a bit of orichalcum wire. So's enough of that, right quick, we'll chopper ourselves a bitty chop-shop, we will, if you noble souls will just follow me right smart and bring some shovels, cause boys I b'lieve I have a plan."

With the ley line within spitting distance, Vik makes liberal use of his View-Master of Mastery as he sketches out surprisingly professional plans for a workshop and enclosed garage running northwest from the earthworks toward the ley line. In the short-term, the facilities will provide a dry roof and space to strip down and repurpose any salvage the crews come up, and longer-term will provide a place to manufacture, repair and upgrade all manner of equipment, magical and mundane. And, of course, providing a little room for quarreling couples to avoid each other is just icing on the cake.

"Right, you, yeah you laddy, I'm not flapping my yap so's you get a breeze, now dig that bit a little deeper, so's we got room to run the wires without leaving the floor all lumpy. Leave it lumpy and I'll never hear an end, like my old nan used to whinge 'bout the tatties not being smoove enough. Oy, and careful wif them reactors, mate, less you wanna be the one going 'round checking everyone for growing new bits and bobs and third testes 'cause of some leaky-winky radiation."
Knowledge: Engineering 19
With the ley line right there, I'm assuming I can keep boost trait going pretty much continually while planning and executing the work.
Techno-Wizardry to activate View-Master of Mastery [dice]0[/dice] = Ace! [dice]2[/dice] = Success with a Raise, +4d Kn: Engineering
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Knowledge: Engineering [dice]3[/dice]
Wild [dice]4[/dice]
Spend a Benny for Extra Effort = [dice]5[/dice] = Ace! [dice]6[/dice] = Ace! [dice]7[/dice]
Vik will oversee the construction of a Workshop and Garage extending to the northwest of the existing earthworks, with the Workshop close enough to the ley line to draw on its power. He'll commandeer as many Laborers and Build resources as he can/as are needed, and put in a request for more Build supplies with Charlemagne. His Knowledge: Engineering roll resulted in Success with 3 Raises.
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Persuasion - Requisition
Persuasion to requisition
[dice]0[/dice]

Benny EE with prior and Elan
[dice]4[/dice]

Ace EE with prior
[dice]5[/dice]

WD Persuasion - requisition
[dice]1[/dice]

Persuasion to trade resources
[dice]2[/dice]

WD persuasion - resources
[dice]3[/dice]
Charlemagne nods to Lt. Winston. "I will respect the chain of command, though I will confine my supercession to the building of our outpost. I believe it is best, at this time, to maintain your patrols and defenses as before. If you wish, you may bolster your service rotations with mercenaries. Whether you can double patrols, or add rotations to give the men extra rest when able, I leave to your judgment. You know this area best and can best utilize those resources."

He turns to Captain Norris. "Yes, Captain, I do have a request. I believe it will be of great utility to arrange for a techno-wizard's energy field generator. But I believe we can make good use of a larger, specifically built one. I would like to make use of the ley line at our doorstep, as Vik has suggested. Let us power both our daily needs and our attempts at expansion with the nigh-limitless power of the ley line." He ends the recording, but continues speaking to Captain Norris.

"Captain, I wish to send some of our newfound plunder back to the castle. I'd like, however, an exchange of building material. We have many souls and minimal shelter. I would like tools and building materials to construct suitable lodgings. I also believe Vik makes a good deal of sense. An engineering section, located near my desired energy field generator, and shrouded with a bunker, will allow us to expand rapidly. Make whatever trades you need with some of the weapons and ammunition we've found, and let us find timber, stone, and metals with which to build a home for those who will reside here." He bows to Captain Norris. "I bid you godspeed, captain. May the current speed you safely to your destination, and back to us again at your leisure."

Turning to Vik, Charlemagne smiles. "I will apportion whatever labor you need to construct both your workshop and earthworks with which to enclose it from outside attack." He grabs an aide. "Whatever is not assigned to Donnager, I want enclosing the path to the docks. When Captain Norris returns, I wish him to dock and unload in safety. There will be no more brodkil ambushes at landfall." Charlemagne exits to begin an aerial review of the fort.
Survival
Survival
[dice]6[/dice]

WD Survival
[dice]7[/dice]

Benny EE Survival with Elan and prior
[dice]8[/dice]

Success and raise - 2 rolls
[dice]9[/dice] -- refugees: [dice]11[/dice] Labor
[dice]10[/dice] -- food source (fruit trees): [dice]12[/dice] Supplies
Before he can take wing, Professor Zacra Daeli flags him down. "Charlemagne, my friend. I do not wish to disturb you as you are getting accustomed to this new challenge. However, I would like to suggest that, in your near-future plannings, an information room, of sorts, can be set aside? Collecting and collating data about our surroundings, analyzing encounter patterns, and even communications can be housed there, but I believe it to be of a high priority."
Charlemagne nods to his friend. "Of course, Professor. I shall see to it as quickly as possible. Verily, I have already requested additional building materials with which to more suitably build this place. I shall see to it that you and your offspring are housed comfortably, in the meantime. Even if it means that I sleep outdoors." With a gracious smile and a deep bow, Charlemagne bids his goodbyes to the professor and takes flight, examining the layout of the fort and the disposition of the nearby lands.

In his wanderings, he comes across and notes a grove of apple trees. Not too far away. This can be added to our count, for certain. He also notes a group of raggedy looking individuals picking a few of the apples from the trees. Landing in their midst, he addresses them. "Greetings! I am Charlemagne, of the Hol...Tomorrow Legion. We have established ourselves at Fort Hope, not terribly far from here. Pray tell, is this your apple grove?"
The leader replies, timidly. "Begging your leave, sir...no. We just wandered across it. We have been fleeing the fall of Tolkeen...we're starving."
Charlemagne's face falls. "Pick your fill, then follow me. We can house you and feed you. If you need security while preparing for your next journey in life, we can provide that. Should you decide to stay, you would be welcome." The cyber-knight introduces himself to each of the refugees, offering words of encouragement and smiles.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Bennies: 4
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks
Toughness: 22 (12) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 30 / 30
Active Powers: cyber armor
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection