Savage Rifts Writing Contest, Plague Stimulus Edition

A place for fan fiction and site wide contests!
Imperator

Savage Rifts Writing Contest, Plague Stimulus Edition

Post by Imperator »

Wow, has it been a tough year so far. Hope everyone is healthy and safe.

One upside has been that between the self distancing and the incredible new Rifts books the site has had an influx of new players. So to say thank you all for joining and adding your voices to our group tales of daring do, we're doing a writing contest!!!

Rules of the contest:
  • Open to players with 3 or fewer character slots "unlocked". Sorry my fellow vets, this one is for the new comers.
  • Story should be a minimum of 2,000 words (measured by me using copy and paste in to MS Word).
  • Story should include one of your player character from the site. (Edit: Active, inactive, or dead are all acceptable, also despite the name so are characters from non Rifts games. But must have been actually played in a game. ) If you use or reference someone else's characters let them ok the representation before final posting. Seeing your characters in another's story can either be fun and flattering if they're done right. But if they're not it can be a source of drama and trouble and no one wants that here. :)
  • Story should include either hindrances, tragedy, loss or defeat for the character. (Does not have to be the end result, but let's show the mortality as well as the awesome.)
  • Story must be completed by Friday June 26th 11:59 PM CST(US)
  • Questions can go here, but the STORIES MUST BE SUBMITTED AT THE FOLLOWING LINK: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5196

Rewards
  • 1st place will receive 5 EP and a $20 coupon for DrivethruRPG.com or RPGnow.com
  • 2nd Place will receive 3 EP and a $10 coupon for DrivethruRPG.com or RPGnow.com
  • 3rd Place will receive 2 EP and a $10 coupon for DrivethruRPG.com or RPGnow.com
  • All qualified participants will receive 1 EP. (See above for minimum requirements.)
Judging
Judging will be done by site voting using primary accounts. Each site primary account will be allowed 3 votes. The top five entries will then be selected and I will award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place from those. Voting will open on June 27th, 12:00 AM and close at June 31st at 12:00 PM. I will try to have the final decision posted that evening.
GM bennies

Characters Imperator (GM account)Action Stan, Antipas, Xiang,
Makenna Griggs

Re: Savage Rifts Writing Contest, Plague Stimulus Edition

Post by Makenna Griggs »

Is there a theme that I'm missing? Since it's called "Plague Stimulus Edition", does the story have to revolve around a plague in some way?
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Pace: d10 (10); Parry: 7; Toughness: 15(6); Strain: 0

Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Bennies: 4/3
Drake
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Drake »

I think you could read it as the "stuck at home cos COVID, here's something to spend your time on" edition rather than having a plague theme. That's certainly how I took it.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Makenna Griggs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm Is there a theme that I'm missing? Since it's called "Plague Stimulus Edition", does the story have to revolve around a plague in some way?
No plague theme required - we can read about that anywhere these days.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Makenna Griggs

Post by Makenna Griggs »

Venatus Vinco wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:14 am
No plague theme required - we can read about that anywhere these days.

VV
So basically I can just write whatever, as long as it's about a character on these forums?
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Pace: d10 (10); Parry: 7; Toughness: 15(6); Strain: 0

Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Bennies: 4/3
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Makenna Griggs wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 am So basically I can just write whatever, as long as it's about a character on these forums?
Seems that way to me.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Jesse (Graunk)

Post by Jesse (Graunk) »

are you saying that there are actually people who are willing to read 2000 words about my characters adventures, and willing to discuss and eventually vote on the merits of the story?...remarkable! well I for one can't wait to read all the admissions... so many cool character stories out there. this Is a great idea! Too bad I'm not much of a writer, more of a stare out the window for hours while watching RPG adventuring dreams dancing around in my head.
Graunk- Orc Vampire Slayer
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Makenna Griggs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm Is there a theme that I'm missing? Since it's called "Plague Stimulus Edition", does the story have to revolve around a plague in some way?
Yeah, no theme required. Just a poor attempt at topical humor since the point of the contest is a "stimulus" for the new players. :)
GM bennies

Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Jesse m wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:50 am are you saying that there are actually people who are willing to read 2000 words about my characters adventures, and willing to discuss and eventually vote on the merits of the story?...remarkable! well I for one can't wait to read all the admissions... so many cool character stories out there. this Is a great idea! Too bad I'm not much of a writer, more of a stare out the window for hours while watching RPG adventuring dreams dancing around in my head.
Yeah, I've read the adventures of groups I don't even play in because I liked the characters and plot in em. For me anyway this is as much about reading other cool characters as writing about mine.

I do that to a lot too, or tab surf :) The head stories are often set to music that I then post to the group. The writing them out gets a bit easier as you go.
GM bennies

Drake
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Drake »

Can we enter more than once?
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Drake wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:00 pm Can we enter more than once?
No.
GM bennies

Dr. Asterisk
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Dr. Asterisk »

Hmm.

I'm a newcomer but haven't actually played in a game yet, so I guess I'll wait for the next one.

Dr. Asterisk

Bennies: 3/3

Current Wealth: 19,480 Universal Credits
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

duhtroll wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 pm Hmm.

I'm a newcomer but haven't actually played in a game yet, so I guess I'll wait for the next one.
If you have a character in a game that's starting up soon that qualifies as well.
I should have included that I suppose.
GM bennies

Return to “Fan Fiction and Contests”