01 Welcome to The Game

Ndreare
Savage Siri

01 Welcome to The Game

Post by Ndreare »

As the strangers get to know each other, the lycanthropes notice the door handle is somehow repaired as if it was never destroyed.

The sense of another nightbane comes to Signal’s and Bioden’s awareness as a Michael Peterson steps out from the shadows against the wall near the door holding a lit cigarette in his hands. Strange as there was no smell of cigarettes only moments ago. But now everyone can smell them. “Glad to see so many of you came.” As he looks around the room he offers out his pack of Marlboro Red 100’s seeing if anyone else needs a smoke. “Any of you need one of these?”

After getting the niceties out of the way he says. “A real bummer I was hoping Sammy would have come. Can never have too many of us in the team.” Walking over to the corner from the wall he leans against it and nods at everyone his left hand holding his cigarette while his right hand fidgets with a lighter. “So each of you is here because you have a reason to hate the Night Lords and because you are badass in your own right.

“I am hoping we can skip the macho and get straight to work, if that will not work for you let me know now and I can get you to the railroad where you can take it easy while we fight these bastards.” Taking another pull from his cigarette he waits to make sure you are all interested in the Resistance.

“Okay good then. So here is how it works. We communicate primarily through Mary, she is a dream walker and can send us the messages we need so that we do not all need to constantly risk each other meeting up.

“This place here is a little bit special and those cases have all the gear your cell should need for starting off. The way this will work is Mary or I will communicate missions to you. Then your team figures out how to do the mission. If anyone other than Mary or I ever communicate a mission to you, assume you have been compromised and it is a trap. These assholes are smart, deceptive, and powerful. So you can take it that if one of us can do it, then they have a way of doing the same thing.” He pauses again long enough to light a new cigarette off of his old one before snuffing it out.

“We work in a few ways. We will give you names, leads or specific missions to help the cause. Sometimes we will ask you to be ready for a mission and take you there. But most of the time we will assume you are hunting on your own and taking care of stuff. When you need my help say so and if I am free I will come along, but remember the other cells are just as busy as you, so we won't be able to hold your hands. You are about to spend the rest of your lives in hiding or on the run, and you will need to know who to trust.

“Right now I need you guys to get to know each other a little bit and figure out if you can trust each other, and who can give orders when crap hits the fan. Because when you leave here, and your ready I have your first mission here. But first do you have any questions?”
His words done he goes back to smoking his cigarette and enjoys a few pulls while you guys get your questions out of the way.

You notice somewhere in the conversation he had pulled out a manila envelope that looks nearly empty. Most likely that will be the first mission he would like you to investigate once everything is handled.
OOC Comments
This is your question to ask Michael any questions that may come up or you may have.

His first mission will send you guys on a little drive to central Washington.
I have it ready, when your team it ready.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Mel Richter

Re: 01 Welcome to The Game

Post by Mel Richter »

Triessa took a deep breath and organized her thoughts.

"Alright. Questions. Yeah, I have some."

She started ticking off fingers.

"First, what's the codeword? So we know it's you or Mary in the dream. Anyone can look like anything in a dream, so if they can do it too, they can imitate you. We'd need to know for sure how to recognize you."

"Second, what kind of support can we expect from the Resistance? You have stuff in the boxes here, which is great but what about moving forward? You say if we need help, say so...but how do we get in touch? These dream meetings happen at your convenience, not ours."

"Third, what kind of information can you give us? Some of us are working with half-truths, or theories or conjecture. Recognizing you may not have the whole picture either, I think it's a fair bet you have pieces of the puzzle the rest of us don't."

"Fourth...what's the railroad thing you mentioned? Not that it sounds appealing to me, but just as a point of interest."
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Triessa wrote:Triessa took a deep breath and organized her thoughts.

"Alright. Questions. Yeah, I have some."

She started ticking off fingers.

"First, what's the codeword? So we know it's you or Mary in the dream. Anyone can look like anything in a dream, so if they can do it too, they can imitate you. We'd need to know for sure how to recognize you."

"Second, what kind of support can we expect from the Resistance? You have stuff in the boxes here, which is great but what about moving forward? You say if we need help, say so...but how do we get in touch? These dream meetings happen at your convenience, not ours."

"Third, what kind of information can you give us? Some of us are working with half-truths, or theories or conjecture. Recognizing you may not have the whole picture either, I think it's a fair bet you have pieces of the puzzle the rest of us don't."

"Fourth...what's the railroad thing you mentioned? Not that it sounds appealing to me, but just as a point of interest."
Seeing Triessa ticking her fingers off Michael's eyes narrow as he decides if she is genuinely curious or if she is patronizing him. "I do not have a code word for your interactions with Mary. You will have to ask her for one when you interact with her this weekend.

"The support you get with the resistance is whatever we can afford. Normally weapons armor, safe houses, and medical supplies. We also have secondary contacts. The is a ground up movement, we are not a government so likewise you are expected to share your resources when called on. I will give you a few one time use emails, and a couple burner numbers, but they are getting better at tracking phones with similar call profiles. The best way to contact me is to come here. I can tell when people come and go from here.

"I do not think anyone has the whole picture, but I will be honest with you about any information not related to other cells I have worked with. The big picture is 17 year ago some old god like beings that had been trapped in the nightlands finally found a way through to this side. They came through in secret and have replaced many key and powerful people with psychic clones of themselves called avatars or with doppelgangers. They are in league with some bug like monsters who create what we call the Hollow Men and through them run many branches of the governments of the world, especially law enforcement and military. We believe in The Resistance the best way to protect people is to actively and aggressively hunt down and kill everyone of these being and those who work with them. the innocent people of this world need our help and they do not even know it. We are the saviors they will fear and hunt as we hunt those who are enslaving them.

"The underground Railroad is another faction that specializes in running and hiding from the Night Lords. Their plan is apparently to hide long enough for the Night Lords to finish taking over the word so they can be hunted down and killed one at a time."
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Clayton Hodge
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Clayton Hodge »

Clayton tips his hat and takes the offered cigarette and says, "Grahcias amigo. Red hunnerds, real nice."

He listens to Michael's introduction and asks, "Ah reckon I do have ah couple questions. First, how's tha glowstick we rescued doin'? Ah'd hate to thank Ah went through all that trouble fer nothing."

Clayton pauses to light the cigarette and take a puff before continuing, "Ah'd also find it mighty useful tah have a reliable procurer of goods. Goods of the magical varieteh. Ah don't suppose yah got somethin' lahk that lined up fer us, do yah?"

"Besides that, Ah'm mighty interested in this mission. Ah owe yah one fer the sewers. Man wades through the shit and stink to save a feller, he oughta return the favor. If this arrangement works out well, Ah might just get cozy with yah," Clayton says. He takes another drag on his cigarette and waits for Michael's response.
Clayton Hodge
Clayton "Snakebite" Hodge, Snake Lycanthrope
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 9(3); Toughness: 7(2*)
  • Kevlar Vest reduces damage from bullets by 4 before applying any AP
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Against the Odds:+2 to any Trait roll when spending a Benny, stacks with Elan.
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore off hand penalty, Weapon Parry bonuses stack.
  • First Strike: Free attack vs first enemy to enter reach.
  • Invulnerability: Lycanthropes can only be shaken by most attacks and weapons. Only silver, magic and the supernatural can wound a Lycanthrope such as rune/artifacts weapons, cursed weapons, and the tooth and claws of other Lycanthropes can wound a Lycanthrope. Note Psionics cannot wound a Lycanthrope. In addition the Lycanthrope regenerates, making a natural healing roll every hour from any injury and cannot suffer permanent injuries unless the wound is inflicted by silver.
  • Two-Fisted: If a character makes a Fighting attack with one action and another from a different hand in a later action, the second attack doesn’t inflict a Multi-Action penalty.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 3/15
Light Bennies: 1; Golden Bennies: 0/1
Edit Signature
Raphael
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Raphael »

Raphael simply watches, his light blue eyes taking in every word, not appearing to blink at all. When Michael is finished speaking, Raphael simply nods. "I have no questions."
Raphael, Guardian http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=2711
Pace: 6; Parry: 5 Toughness: 5
Champion, Danger Sense
Bennies: 4/3; Golden Benny: 1/1 Blue/Rambo Benny 1/1
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Clayton Hodge wrote:Clayton tips his hat and takes the offered cigarette and says, "Grahcias amigo. Red hunnerds, real nice."

He listens to Michael's introduction and asks, "Ah reckon I do have ah couple questions. First, how's tha glowstick we rescued doin'? Ah'd hate to thank Ah went through all that trouble fer nothing."
Michael laughs. "Glow-stick eh. Yeah, he is fine, doing real good and looking to help in the fight."
Clayton Hodge wrote:Clayton pauses to light the cigarette and take a puff before continuing, "Ah'd also find it mighty useful tah have a reliable procurer of goods. Goods of the magical varieteh. Ah don't suppose yah got somethin' lahk that lined up fer us, do yah?"
Michael nods. "Guns and weapons we can do. But all the magic gear I know of comes in two ways. Bonded magic that only works for the people they chose and require bonding. Ain't none of those left laying around waiting for people to buy em. Then there's the little fetishes, talismans and boons type. Those things ain't cheap, but every now and then we find someone who can help with them. But the magic in them tends to stop working for whatever mysterious reasons they have and to unreliable to be worth much to me. if you find someone who makes stuff like that, i suggest being careful.

"If you find someone who makes them and they actually work, then I suggest you become real close friends with whoever he is."

Clayton Hodge wrote:"Besides that, Ah'm mighty interested in this mission. Ah owe yah one fer the sewers. Man wades through the shit and stink to save a feller, he oughta return the favor. If this arrangement works out well, Ah might just get cozy with yah," Clayton says. He takes another drag on his cigarette and waits for Michael's response.
"Well that's good.

"This first mission may not be what you consider ideal, but it will be the most important thing you ever do."

Raphael wrote:Raphael simply watches, his light blue eyes taking in every word, not appearing to blink at all. When Michael is finished speaking, Raphael simply nods. "I have no questions."
Turning his head to the Guardian Michael nods. "Glad you chose to work with us. I hope your bosses let you stay long enough to make it worth it."

Then looking around the room he seems a little disappointed. "I was expecting a couple of other fellows to pop down here. Maybe I will leave the 6th street gate open a while longer just in case."
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Catie

Post by Catie »

”You and the others have covered most of my questions but I would like to ask about funding for our missions. Will that be provided by the resistance? Are we expected to contribute money of our own to the resistance? ...That’s all I have. Wait! One more question. Will we work with other teams and if so, how often?”

It seems as though they won’t be able to contact Michael that often and Catie is a bit frustrated that she isn’t thinking up more pertinent questions. Oh well, I guess I can always ask Mary if more questions pop up later. I’ll just have to remember them for the times she contacts us.
Signal

Post by Signal »

RFT wrote: "I do not think anyone has the whole picture, but I will be honest with you about any information not related to other cells I have worked with. The big picture is 17 year ago some old god like beings that had been trapped in the nightlands finally found a way through to this side. They came through in secret and have replaced many key and powerful people with psychic clones of themselves called avatars or with doppelgangers. They are in league with some bug like monsters who create what we call the Hollow Men and through them run many branches of the governments of the world, especially law enforcement and military.

"The underground Railroad is another faction that specializes in running and hiding from the Night Lords. Their plan is apparently to hide long enough for the Night Lords to finish taking over the word so they can be hunted down and killed one at a time."[/b]
Manny ignores the dig at the Underground Railroad; while he's grateful for the help they offered him when he went on the run months ago, he's become used to Michael's dismissive manner toward Manny's former faction. Some bad blood there.

Instead, Manny's mind latches on to one thing Michael says, pushing everything else to the back burner: He said law enforcement!

"Michael, law enforcement. These 'Hollow Men' have infiltrated the top, you say. How far down does that go? Do they bother with beat cops and detectives? Or do they stick to the brass?" Could his dad have worked with these things without realizing it?
Signal
Signal
Parry: 5 facade | 6 morphus; Toughness: 4 facade, 6(2) w/kevlar | 7 morphus, 9(2) w/kevlar
Character Sheet
Mel Richter

Post by Mel Richter »

"If you find someone who makes them and they actually work, then I suggest you become real close friends with whoever he is."

Triessa rolls her eyes and mutters, "Or she."

"Michael, law enforcement. These 'Hollow Men' have infiltrated the top, you say. How far down does that go? Do they bother with beat cops and detectives? Or do they stick to the brass?"

Now that did click a few things together for Triessa. Normally an investigator had a sort of peculiar relationship with police. Cops regarded PI's as 'wannabes' who could be helpful but mostly just got in the way, usually. Lately though that had taken a turn for the worse, particularly in cases related to supernatural situations...Triessa's specialty.

"From what I've seen, mostly top-down," the sorceress offered. "Though there's a few specific officers that always handle certain kinds of cases who are also...well, they're either in on it, or are hand-picked to be assholes about it."
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Catie wrote:”You and the others have covered most of my questions but I would like to ask about funding for our missions. Will that be provided by the resistance? Are we expected to contribute money of our own to the resistance? ...That’s all I have. Wait! One more question. Will we work with other teams and if so, how often?”
"To prevent compromise we will usually be working with your own cell. However we often do have missions requiring multiple cells. My suggestion in those situations is do whatever you can to hide your facade or mortal identity from the others."
Signal wrote:Manny's mind latches on to one thing Michael says, pushing everything else to the back burner: He said law enforcement!

"Michael, law enforcement. These 'Hollow Men' have infiltrated the top, you say. How far down does that go? Do they bother with beat cops and detectives? Or do they stick to the brass?" Could his dad have worked with these things without realizing it?
Triessa wrote:"From what I've seen, mostly top-down," the sorceress offered. "Though there's a few specific officers that always handle certain kinds of cases who are also...well, they're either in on it, or are hand-picked to be assholes about it."
Nodding at Triessa's response Michael says. "I think Triessa has the right of it. One thing we have in our advantage is humans outnumber the enemy tens of thousands to one. But that still means there are thousands in Seattle alone."

"If you are ready then the instructions to the training grounds where we can assess your strengths and weaknesses are in that envelope. Your first test is to show up together."

Opening the envelope the group finds inside is a single page printed out map with a cover letter reading as follows.
Report to Eastern Washington Training Camp for skills evaluation and gap closure.

Your Trainor Mary will be there
The map is printed saying it is a 5-1/2 hour drive followed by a brief hike to this off the grid location.

OOC Comments
Players who care can find the training ground on the map.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

You may post more here or go to the Training Grounds

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... 820#p39762
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Signal

Post by Signal »

RFT wrote:
"If you are ready then the instructions to the training grounds where we can assess your strengths and weaknesses are in that envelope. Your first test is to show up together."
If Manny had a brow to furrow, he would furrow it. He's still getting used to this whole "Morphus" thing, but people have told him that his mask, though hard to read, does convey emotion somehow. He doesn't understand it himself, but he takes people's word for it.
Inspired by Spider-man
I'm imagining something to the effect of how Spider-man's mask manages to show his emotions clear as day despite covering his entire face. The artists certainly take liberties (making his eyes much bigger or smaller is a common one), and I always find it amusing. Manny has some of that going on, to a lesser extent. Hit up Google with a "spider-man angry" or "spider-man [insert emotion here]" search string and you'll see what I mean. Todd McFarlane, especially, made extensive use of this particular style.
The first task is to arrive together. Great. I could be there in a fraction of the time on my own. This had better not be some stupid bonding exercise.
Angst
Teenagers, am I right?!
Signal
Signal
Parry: 5 facade | 6 morphus; Toughness: 4 facade, 6(2) w/kevlar | 7 morphus, 9(2) w/kevlar
Character Sheet
Clayton Hodge
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Clayton Hodge »

"Ah, ahem, reckon Ah might need ah ride. Ah drift around a lot, but Ah ain't evah had need for mah own mode ah transport. Not even back in the olden days..Horses ain't too keen on folks like me. The invention of tha automahbile was a gift from tha good lord above. They don't tend tah shy away from tha driver, an' they're mighty easy to sneak into if yah play yer cards right," Clayton says.

He blushes ever so slightly and admits, "An' Ah never, uh, picked up tha knack for operatin' automahbiles mahself. Ah don't need much room, though. Hell, Ah could fit right up under the front windah an' save someun else a seat if'n we all need to hit tha trail together."

Then he smiles and claps his hands once, rubbing them together excitedly and says, "Why, this venture sounds like ah great idea! Ain't no better way tah get tah know one another than holin' up in tight quarters! Sharin' stories on tha trail and feelin' each other out. This takes me way back to tha good parts ah the olden days! Youngn's nowadays jus ain't got a good understandin' of how people're meant to get along any more. Alla yer facememin' an' the googles an' electronic letters! Electronic letters! A man don't even got to hold a pen and put 'is personal touch to a message any more. They're too busy snatchstorying an' timing their faces on their mobeel devihces. We had our share of social woes in mah day, but a man knew how to talk to a man, or woman, in mah time."
Clayton Hodge
  • Against the Odds:+2 to any Trait roll when spending a Benny, stacks with Elan.
  • Invulnerability: Lycanthropes can only be shaken by most attacks and weapons. Only silver, magic and the supernatural can wound a Lycanthrope such as rune/artifacts weapons, cursed weapons, and the tooth and claws of other Lycanthropes can wound a Lycanthrope. Note Psionics cannot wound a Lycanthrope. In addition the Lycanthrope regenerates, making a natural healing roll every hour from any injury and cannot suffer permanent injuries unless the wound is inflicted by silver.
  • Two-Fisted: If a character makes a Fighting attack with one action and another from a different hand in a later action, the second attack doesn’t inflict a Multi-Action penalty.
Edit Signature
Raphael
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Raphael »

Raphael responds to Michael "I will be here as long as I am meant to be."

Raphael waits patiently for the rest of the speech. Does he even blink? After the part about the training grounds is said, he stands (floats?) and looks toward the group. "Do any of you have a mode of transportation? If not, I can arrange one." He simply looks at them, awaiting an answer, his face a perfect blank mask.
Champion, Danger Sense
Mel Richter

Post by Mel Richter »

Triessa looked from face to face, stomach sinking. Of course they didn't have cars. Why would they have cars?

Goddamnit, she did not show up at this lovefest to become a chauffeur for a bunch of well-intentioned monsters.

...but then, here she was.

With a long-suffering sigh, she waved an arm for them to follow her.

"C'mon. Lets see how many people we can stack into a Honda compact. If anyone's got a smaller shape they can take, now's the time."

She headed on out to street level where her somewhat weatherbeaten 2005 Honda Civic waited to convey the team in luxurious style to the site of their testing.
Gravely

Post by Gravely »

When the crazy stuff had become reality ten years ago, Gravely had wanted to leave the PAB then to join the resistence. Micheal had spent the better part of an evening talking Gravely into being an informant and a plant within the government agencies of Seattle. Gravely had access to information, locations, materials, equipment, transportation, even assignments simply by accessing individuals minds.

Gravely stayed and worked with the PAB and then the underground agency, Spook Squad. In the back of his mind, he was always planning his escape. Micheal he trusted. The PAB was blind and the Spook Squad was paranoid. Gravely wanted to be in the action.

For years he kept his psychic abilities secret. No one knew and that was fine and better that way. A chance encounter with Hound triggered an awakening of Gravely's magical skills. In contact with Micheal, Gravely expressed his concerns that the Spook Squad would physically terminate him for his arcane/magical abilities.

So it was, on the evening that the rest of the new resistance was leaving for East Washington, Gravely had a dreaming. Micheal addressed him directly, "Meet at the roundabout for the Needle. Bring your car and your gear."

And later that night Gravely sat in the empty Space Needle roundabout driveway. Sense on alert. Looking over his shoulder at every sound. Certain that the Hounds would be upon him. Wondering if his two week notice would be honored by the Spook Squad before they began the man hunt for him. It was during one of his wandering thoughts that he noticed Micheal in the passenger seat.

Gravely jumped out of his seat and seatbelt and nearly fell out the rolled down window. Micheal grabbed Gravely by the belt and hauled him back into the Chevy Tahoe. "Micheal that never triggers my awareness. Why?"

Micheal tapped the wheel and motioned for Gravely to drive. At the question, Micheal just smiles. "Someday it will."

Though the drive was audibly silent, the two psychics conversed the entire trip out to the Training Grounds.

The only time conversation broke was for fuel, food, and the bathroom. Just as quickly as it had ended the conversation would pick up within minutes right where it had left off.

Micheal relayed the info on each of the team members. What to expect. And also a warning of how they might take a mortal. Gravely was told that they needed help training. Learning to work together. And how to identify the Nightlords and their minions.

Gravely was processing the information as they pulled up to the compound.

"Micheal, this looks like one of the krolyk kletka found in Chernobyl. Should be expecting packs of radiated dogs to greet me when getting out?"

Micheal just shook his head and pointed to the statue not to far from where they are parked. "Go talk to Mary."

Gravely looked at the statue and turned back to an empty passenger seat. "You certainly do get around."

A voice retorted back in seconds, "I do don't I!?"

Gravely shook his head. Climbed out of the Tahoe. Grabbing his go bag, a large hockey bag, Gravely approached Mary.
Mis Rolled
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
Last edited by Gravely on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gravely
Quick Stat _
Rank 7 Seasoned Human Mortal Champion
Pace: 6 / 1d6 || Parry: 5 || Toughness: 5 [0 /4] ||
Wounds: 0 of 3 || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense
    Alertness
    Calculating
    Marksman
Relevant Edges:
  • Command
    Natural Leader
    Inspire
Bennies: 5/5
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • M4
    Glock
    Brass Knuckles
    Switchblade
Clayton Hodge
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Clayton Hodge »

Clayton grins at Triessa and says, "Well, alrighty then li'l lady!"

Clayton walks over to Jack and turns into his snake form. He slithers quickly up the nightbane's leg, around his torso, and settles in around the kid's neck. He playfully rattles his tail next to Jack's ear a couple times and settles in until the team gets into the car.

When they get in the car Clayton drops off the kid's shoulders and crawls across the rear floorboards and under the driver's seat. He quickly slithers up Triessa's leg and onto the center console. He coils himself up as if to strike, and launches himself from the center console onto the dashboard. He slithers into the corner of the passenger's side windowshield and coils up in a tight ball. He rattles his tail a couple times as if to say, "I'm ready!"
Clayton Hodge
Edit Signature
Catie

Post by Catie »

”I know what you mean. Being a predator doesn’t get you a lot of friends among prey animals. I’ll take it over being seen as prey myself though.” Catie says when the snake shifter mentions horses not being too keen on him. Being around others who aren’t human and/or know she’s a shifter is just as nice as Catie thought it would be. Hiding half her nature is a pain in the butt, not to mention frustrating in its necessity.

She struggles not to just hug the angsty looking nightbane and squish his face between her hands. With a teenaged younger sister she’s more than used to dealing with grumps from that age group and can’t help but find it a little adorable as she thinks of her family at home. He reminds me so much of Kara. Although he seems not to have gone in the goth direction with his teenage angst... Does anyone escape puberty without needing to cringe at pictures of themselves from then? Ooh, road trip!

As excited as she is for a road trip, Catie is even more excited for training. Training should mean fighting and there wasn’t much that was more fun than hunting someone (or thing) down and pouncing.
Mel Richter

Post by Mel Richter »

"Okay!" Triessa said loudly, suppressing a minor freak-out when the snake slithered up her leg. "Some road rules!"

"Rule one: Boundaries exist. It's a small car, it's going to be cozy, but don't be an ass about it. Clayton, no more climbing up people."

"Rule two: The car has a radio. When it's on, no talking. This is for your driver's sanity." She pointed at herself. "I have a limited capacity to deal with people, just warning everyone up front. When I turn on the radio, it means that capacity has been exceeded, and I need everyone to pretend they're not there for a few minutes. So, radio on means no talk."

Triessa got into the car's driver seat. "Rule three is more of a guideline: Think ahead. A lot of this trip is through the literal ass-end of nowhere. If you see a place to grab a drink, or go to the bathroom, don't ask yourself if you want that right then...ask if you'll want it two hours from then. If yes, ask for a stop. My sympathy will only be measurable by quantum mechanics if you don't practice this life hack."

She grimaced and worked her head around in a little circle, popping her neck a little.

"Lets just have fun with this."
Clayton Hodge
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Clayton Hodge »

Clayton was happy as he could be soaking up the rays from the sun on the dashboard of Triessa's car. He was a little disappointed that he wasn't able to partake in the banter on the trail, but the cramped quarters made it necessary for him to remain in snake form except when they stopped for gas or food. Triessa pulled into a gas station about halfway through the trip for gas.

Only one of the four pumps was available when some jackass in a new corvette whipped in front of Triessa as she was pulling up to it and took her spot. Clayton heard Triessa mumble like "assclown" under her breath as she backed up and waited for a pump to free up. A moment later, a car pulled out and Triessa pulled up beside the free pump.

Clayton watched the man in the corvette. He was wearing a well-fitting suit, so he knew that he paid some money for it. It wasn't straight off of a rack, and Clayton believed it was likely desiginer. Suit headed into the store and asked the attendant a question. Then he headed outside and around the corner. Clayton knew what that meant, so he slithered out of the car as soon as the door opened.

The side of the building was where external access to the public restrooms was. The door was locked with a key, but the gap underneath the door was just enough for a wily snake to squish himself through. Clayton got through and quickly scanned the room for Suit. It was a one stall, one urinal style men's restroom, and Suit wasn't at the urinal so Clayton slithered over to the stall, thinking, "Perfect. Ah'm gunna scare tha shit outta this cabrón...if there's any left in there."

Snakes were well known for being quiet, and Clayton himself was well trained in stealth tactics. He waited for the man to reach over for some toilet paper before rushing into position behind the toilet. Once Suit had preoccupied himself with using the toilet paper, Clayton coiled up between the toilet bowl and the wall and underneath the toilet paper roll. Then he waited for Suit to make a move.

Suit reached down for his pants, and Clayton immediately began rattling his tail. The man froze and his face immediately drained of color. He turned his head ever so slightly towards the toilet paper roll and looked down at the floor from the corner of his eyes. He whispered so softly that Clayton could barely hear Suit saying, "Shit, shit, shit!"

If Clayton was in human form, he would be gasping for breath from laughing so hard at this jackass. However, he wasn't, so he waited patiently for the man to make another move. It took Suit a good 2-3 minutes to figure out his next move, and Clayton was ready for him. Suit very, very slowly and steadily reached towards the lock on the door and unlocked it. Then the man bunched his body up as much as he could without moving any part of his body towards the rattlesnake. Then he jumped with all his might towards the closed door from his seat on the toilet, shouting, "HELP! SNAKE! SOMEONE....."

In his panic, Suit had forgotten that the stall door opened inwards and not out, so he hit his head hard against the door and fell back to the ground. This wasn't exactly what Clayton had in mind. He needed the guy gone, but in a frenzied panic, so he mentally sighed and bit the guy on his ass. Fortunately for suit, it was a dry bite and would only injure the man's pride. It was exactly what Clayton needed, though. Suit quickly crawled out of the stall, kicking the pants which were restricting his movement off in the process.

Suit ran to the door, manhood flapping proudly in the wind, opened the door, and ran out shouting, "Help! Someone help me! Call an ambulance; I've been bitten by a rattlesnake! Oh my god, I'm going to die. HELP!!"

When Suit was out of the bathroom, Clayton transformed and let out all the laughter that he couldn't in snake form. He gasped for breath as he mumbled between laughs, "All...mah years...an'Ah I ain't never...seen anyone...not even ah city slicker...react to ah snake that way!"

Clayton wanted to be out of the bathroom before anyone came back, so he checked Suit's pants pockets. He had a wallet with several hundred dollars of various denominations in the back pocket. Clayton stole a twenty out of it and several other small bills figuring they probably wouldn't be missed whereas $100-200 or more would be. Clayton folded up $37 into a tight little square and shifted back into snake form.

He took the small square into his mouth and cautiously slithered out of the bathroom. The door was the type that wasn't aligned quite right, so it hadn't automatically closed fully when Suit had rushed out. He was able to get a quick look before exiting the bathroom and rounding the corner towards the back of the gas station. He made it around to the other side of the gas station, opposite from the bathroom, without any trouble.

When he approached the front of the gas station, Clayton noticed that everyone's attention was focused on the half naked man and the direction of the bathroom, so Clayton slithered back to the car and hopped into one of the doors left open for him. He dropped the $37 in Triessa's lap and purposefully avoided crawling up anyone while making his way back to his corner of the windshield. He rattled his tail again once more as if to say, "Ready when y'all are!"
Clayton Hodge
Edit Signature
Signal

Post by Signal »

They reach the gas station and Manny is too relieved to see some sign of civilization (by a very, very generous definition) to notice or care when the snake guy slithers off.

Finally, he thinks, and he opens the door almost as soon as the car comes to a stop. His legs hurt, hit butt hurts, his back hurts... Road trips suck.

He makes a bee line for the little convenience-mart thing attached to the gas station and starts stocking up. Tiny donuts, beef jerky and jalapeño chips: truly the snacks of champions. He also grabs a small bottle of water, because soda just doesn't seem like a good idea in a cramped car with very few bathroom breaks, and heads to the register.

Now, this is the tricky part. If the register at this po-dunk station has an NFC reader, he’s golden. If not… well, if not, he may need to look for an accommodating phone line to make his exit. He stands in line a bit more nervously than he would like, but stealing information is easier than stealing things; bits don’t make your pockets bulge.

The woman behind the counter eyes him warily, and Manny guesses a teenager in a hoodie looking nervous is probably a pretty big red flag, so he tries a smile. He is not great at smiles, and the cashier’s mood does not seem to improve.

”Hi,” he tries, and gets a scowl for his efforts. Okay, so not the talkative type. She rings him up and puts his haul in a plastic bag so thin he can read the label on the tiny donuts right through it, no problem. There is an awkward pause as she waits for payment, and Manny pulls out his phone, hoping.

He swipes it in front of the card reader and, miraculously, it beeps! An NFC reader in the middle of freaking nowhere! The payment processes wirelessly… to a randomized account number that changes every twenty minutes. The chip in the card reader doesn’t know that, though, and it gets the all-clear code from Manny’s phone letting it know the transaction has gone through. ”Thanks,” he tells the woman before grabbing his bag and walking away.

He’s one step from the door when he hears her call, ”Wait!” His blood goes cold… Oh, come on! There’s no way that shouldn’t have worked!

He briefly debates making a run for it, but decides the better of it. Better to play it off as an innocent mistake, and maybe she won’t call the cops?

So Manny turns around and tries on his best innocent face. ”Uh, yes ma’am?”

She’s still scowling (Maybe her face is stuck like that?) and she thrusts out a small slip of paper at him.

”You forgot your receipt.”

Manny tries not to laugh when he takes it from her. ”Oh, uh, thank you.” Of course. A receipt. His shoulders relax and he makes his way back over toward the car, eagerly unwrapping a donut when he hears someone scream about a snake from around the other side of the building.

What now…?
Signal
Signal
Character Sheet
Raphael
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Raphael »

Raphael simply sits there. He responds politely if spoken to, but seems to have no desire to initiate conversation. Half the time you forget here's there, the other half you mistake him for a statue.
Champion, Danger Sense
Catie

Post by Catie »

Catie sleeps through much of the road trip. Something about being in a moving vehicle always makes her tired, though thankfully not while she is the one at the wheel.

After watching Clayton go after the parking spot thieving jerk she decides to do her part in paying him back. She checks for the angle of surveillance cameras and shifts into her hybrid form before scratching up the paint on his nice shiny car. Maybe this gas station stop will make him listen to his conscience a little better. What can I say? I love to give. I’m a helper. Now whether he sees it that way is another matter, but karma always wins out.

After smugly shifting back Catie goes in to get some snacks. Carbs and meat. Perfect. when they get back in the car she offers some of her food to Raphael, hoping to be in good terms with all of her new compatriots sooner rather than later.
Raphael
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Raphael »

Raphael holds up a hand and shakes his head. "That's very considerate of you, but no thank you. I'm not hungry."
Champion, Danger Sense

Return to “Nightbane Adventures”