05 - Gearing Up For Vampires

Ndreare
Savage Siri

05 - Gearing Up For Vampires

Post by Ndreare »

Vampires are some of the most dangerous of foes. Nearly impossible to kill, and naturally armed with the strength to bend steel with their bare hands a vampire is terrifying. However the intelligence and cunning used by the vampire in charge of the greater Seattle area make them even more deadly. Peter even has even encountered more than one with arcane skills on par with the leaders of the Seekers.

As the cell packs up the gear they think they may need for fighting vampires, they see most of it is provided in the Place Between. There are plenty of things in here that can injure them, but it seems killing them will have to happen the hard way.

Special Weapons & Instructions
Please Make a Networking -2 roll. If you are a Nocturn then roll without penalty.

You may roll Occult -2, Demon & Monsters -2, or Vampires +2 to know more accurate information on how I am handling vampires. To keep their horror elements strong i am not using the write up from the book.
  • Success informs you that while Silver cannot kill one of these creatures, it can harm them in ways that can take hours to recover from.
Please indicate in your post, your character’s load out and be aware of encumbrance. In addition to the gear in the main book, the following can be had.

Wooden Stake
Melee weapons ready for paralyzing the monsters. Can be used in conjunction with a called shot to the heart (-4). Str+d4, weight 2 lbs, Str min d4. Cost: $5

Silver Bullets
Silver bullets are effective against lycanthropes and other creatures susceptible to silver (bypassing their invulnerability), but are softer than regular bullets. Subtract 1 from the weapon’s AP value to a minimum of 0. Cost: *3

Silver Lined Melee Weapons
Melee weapons can be coated with silver. The coating when done correctly is normally enough to last a battle or two before needing renewed and allows the weapons to damage vampires and lycanthropes. (adds only 10% to the weight of a weapon). Cost: *5

Type - Weight - Cost
Crucifix/religious symbol 1/5 $20
Ghost trap 5 $200
gopro camera, still 0.5 $260
Nightvision goggles 2 $1400
Pocket Mirror 2 $25
Motion tracker 4 $650
Gorget, leather 1 $30
Gorget, metal 3 $120
Warding materials (requires faith) 1 $5

Remember the actual gear is provided by Michael for now. So it costs you nothing.

A follow post of your investigation will happen tomorrow.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Thrand

Re: 05 - Gearing Up For Vampires

Post by Thrand »

Networking 3, Demons & Monsters 0
Persuasion: [dice:v2sa3jt3]61855:0[/dice:v2sa3jt3]
Wild: [dice:v2sa3jt3]61855:1[/dice:v2sa3jt3]

D&M: [dice:v2sa3jt3]61855:2[/dice:v2sa3jt3]
Wild: [dice:v2sa3jt3]61855:3[/dice:v2sa3jt3]

Loadout [80/80]
The Hönd ór Týr dangling from his right hand - 4 lbs.
Backpack - 2 lbs
Armor stashed neatly into the backpack - 60 lbs
Shield secured to the backpack - 8 lbs
Stake hidden behind his back- 2 lbs
Glock loaded with vampire rounds (If someone both makes their roll and reminds Thrand who isn't used to bothering with firearms) - 4 lbs
Seenig this new team gear up and prepare to move out, Thrand himself picks through a few boxes before settling on only taking a wooden stake. He shoves it into his waistline behind his back then grabs his bag off the floor. He reaches to unzip it to put his armor on, but then thinks better of it. It could take a while to find their targets, and it might be easier searching in plain clothes.

"I'm going to start looking. Give me a call if you find them before I do," Thrand says as he sets out to look for the vampires alone.

Usually wandering and chance see Thrand to where he needs to be. Most of the time it just works out. Tonight is not one of those times. Thrand's efforts thus far have put him in the dark alley behind a seedy nightclub on one of the bad sides of town, and...
Thrand Ulfbjornson
Thrand Ulfbjornson, Artifact Bearer
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 10(4); Toughness: 11(4)
  • Head/Torso reduce damage from bullets by 4. Apply AP only to Armor Value.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Arcane Resistance:+2 to any Trait roll when spending a Benny, stacks with Elan.
  • Berserk: Immediately after suffering a Wound or a Shaken result (from physical damage only), your hero must make a Smarts roll or go Berserk. She can voluntarily fail this check if she likes
    Berkerking
    Going Berserk has the following effects:
    • FURY: The character’s Strength increases a die type and every melee attack must be a Wild Attack (see page 109). She cannot use any skills that require wit or concentration (GM’s call). She may scream out threats and use Intimidation, for example.
    • ENRAGED: Adrenaline and rage fuel the berserker’s muscles, adding +2 to Toughness. She ignores one level of Wound penalties (this stacks with any other abilities that reduce Wound penalties).
    • RECKLESS ABANDON: Anytime a berserker rolls a Critical Failure on a Fighting check, she hits a random target within range of her attack (not the intended target), friend or foe. If there are no applicable targets, the blow simply misses, smashes nearby objects, etc.
    After five consecutive rounds of berserk fury, the hero takes a level of Fatigue. At ten rounds, she takes another level of Fatigue and the rage ends. She may also choose to end her rage at any time by making a Smarts −2 roll (as a free action; possibly avoiding Fatigue if she manages to end her rage before it’s incurred!). Start the count anew if she goes berserk again, even in the same battle.
  • Brave: +2 to Fear checks and –2 to rolls on the Fear Table.
  • Brawny: Size +1
  • Brute: The character may also resist Athletics Tests with Strength if she chooses.
  • Frenzy: A character with Frenzy rolls a second Fighting die with any one of his Fighting attacks for the turn. The extra die may be allocated to the same or different targets as he sees fit. Resolve each separately.
  • Iron Will: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests. The bonus also applies to resisting and recovery from powers.
  • Spooky Bastard: our character was trained by the best monster hunters out there and knows the vulnerabilities of the foes he battles. Your character may spend a Benny to remember training in resisting the enemy and receive +2 to Trait rolls versus any effect from a supernatural enemy, including soak rolls, for the remainder of the encounter.
  • Trademark Weapon, Improved: +2 to Athletics (throwing), Fighting, or Shooting total with a specific weapon; +2 Parry while weapon is readied.
  • Wisdom of the Ages: The Artifact is sentient and communicates with the bearer. In addition, it has been around and seen hundreds or even thousands of years of experiences. It is able to share many of those experiences with the wielder allowing them to learn faster and perform tasks they have never tried before. The wielder can ignore all unskilled penalties except those related to electronics and computers.
Wounds: 3/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Light Bennies: 1/2; Dark Bennies: 0/1; Golden Bennies: 0/1
Edit Signature
Mikhail Peterov

Post by Mikhail Peterov »

OOC Comments
Networking (As a Nocturn then roll without penalty) [dice:3ofauirg]62053:0[/dice:3ofauirg]
Wild [dice:3ofauirg]62053:1[/dice:3ofauirg]
Ace: [dice:3ofauirg]62053:4[/dice:3ofauirg]

Occult [dice:3ofauirg]62053:2[/dice:3ofauirg]
Wild [dice:3ofauirg]62053:3[/dice:3ofauirg]
Mikhail Stays in hid young facade form while the others load up. He stands there perplexed as he thinks to himself ” I am used to beating things with my hands and feet. What do I grab?” He will wait a bit more. He will look for a moment when one of the more experienced members has a second to talk. Mikhail will approach and make a small cough sound. ”*cough* Excuse me? Hi, I am Mikhail. I am new to this style mission. What is a good load to carry? Usually, my hands and feet are enough. Can you help me?”
Light Bennies: 2
Dark Bennies:
Tania

Post by Tania »

Tania frowns, there are many things she is woefully under-educated about, including the real monsters of the world. Still, she tries to consider what she does know:
OOC Comments
Networking (nocturne) - Persuasion: [dice:2iobtm2q]62074:0[/dice:2iobtm2q], Wild Persuade [dice:2iobtm2q]62074:1[/dice:2iobtm2q] Persuade Ace [dice:2iobtm2q]62074:2[/dice:2iobtm2q], WP Ace [dice:2iobtm2q]62074:3[/dice:2iobtm2q] PA2 [dice:2iobtm2q]62074:4[/dice:2iobtm2q], total 10, 1 raise
Fortunately, the other Nocturnes in the Dojo where she now practices her Martial Arts are willing to brag about what they know to her, so she learns a bit.

She agrees with the newcomer, "I rarely use anything by hands and feet either, but I seem to recall a few things about Vampires I have overheard. I think that silver plated brass knuckles could be used to make our fists effective without impairing our skills. Not necessarily deadly, but it will hurt them."
Morphus Form: Charisma -4, Pace 6, Parry 8, Toughness: 10
Current wounds = 0
current bennies = 4
Gravely

Post by Gravely »

Vampires 4 _
Scene Modifier: +2
[*] Vampires (1d4) [dice:2p0to3ze]62077:0[/dice:2p0to3ze]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:2p0to3ze]62077:1[/dice:2p0to3ze]
Gravely acquires 2 full clips of silvered rounds for his M4 Carbine and his Glock. Gravely Gear He also grabs one Wooden Stake, just in case he has to get up close and personal with a vampire.

He is actively regearing himself when the information comes back from the recon.
Gravely
Quick Stat _
Rank 7 Seasoned Human Mortal Champion
Pace: 6 / 1d6 || Parry: 5 || Toughness: 5 [0 /4] ||
Wounds: 0 of 3 || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense
    Alertness
    Calculating
    Marksman
Relevant Edges:
  • Command
    Natural Leader
    Inspire
Bennies: 5/5
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • M4
    Glock
    Brass Knuckles
    Switchblade
Mel Richter

Post by Mel Richter »

Triessa hasn't studied vampires, and in fact hadn't really been aware of them as being real until one of them (well, someone affected by them) had joined the team. How hard could they be though? Movies were pretty clear on how to get rid of them. Garlic...check, hammer and stakes...just the stakes, she'd use magic as a hammer, and of course a nice cross hung around her neck. That one felt a little weird. Triessa had never set foot in a church in her life, other than that one case involving a deacon...

The neck armor seemed potentially good as well. Almost as weird to wear as a cross, but she just made sure to wear her coat with the big collar to help hide it. And then...yeah, nightvision goggles. That was just cool. Of course they were expensive items to risk her magic blowing them out, but she might need an ace up her sleeve. She'd just have to be careful. There was a lot of silver floating around, but that was for werewolves, wasn't it?

Rolls: Networking: Crit fail, Occult 0
Networking: Persuasion (-2) [dice:10yl9lzd]62234:0[/dice:10yl9lzd] or [dice:10yl9lzd]62234:1[/dice:10yl9lzd]
Occult [dice:10yl9lzd]62234:2[/dice:10yl9lzd] or [dice:10yl9lzd]62234:3[/dice:10yl9lzd]

So:
Nightvision goggles, which her hindrance will limit the use of:
5 wooden stakes
Leather gorget
I figure with those craptastic rolls, she has no idea silver's of any use...hopefully someone can set her straight before we get too far in. :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

WIP
Networking

Persuasion [dice:999d0cnr]62257:0[/dice:999d0cnr]
Wild Die [dice:999d0cnr]62257:1[/dice:999d0cnr]

Occult [dice:999d0cnr]62257:2[/dice:999d0cnr]
Wild Die [dice:999d0cnr]62257:3[/dice:999d0cnr]
Ace [dice:999d0cnr]62257:4[/dice:999d0cnr]
Unclear as to whether it's nerves or excitement, Peter paces as he talks. "Vampires. They're tough, sure, but..." he grins, showing the tip of his fangs "not completely impossible to hurt."

He holds up a finger for each point he makes.
"Number 1, holy symbols. If you have a cross, they hate them. I've heard before that holy faith alone will be enough to repel them but, well, that's in short supply since the Dark Day.

Number 2, Water. They find it uncomfortable. If you drop one into a lake, it could dissolve them, but even some holy water is enough to really give them a bad day.

3, Silver. I've heard you can kill one with a silver weapon. Haven't done it personally, but I do know some hunters to bring silver.

4. A stake through the heart can do it. At least, it can put them out of comission. Of course, decapitation and burning the head and body separate is the only sure way to kill them.

I propose we bring holy water, something to set them on fire, and really Teissa, your sorcery is probably our most potent weapon. If we can find their lair and take the battle to them during the day, it shouldn't be as difficult. Of course, I'm not a big fan of sunlight myself, but I can handle it long enough, I hope."
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Character Name: Peter
Player name on discord: Mike (Stoic)
Key and Initiative edges: Alertness, Dark Tidings

Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
ISP: 15 of 15
Morri

Post by Morri »

Networking 0
Persuasion [dice:1zyxsbam]62260:0[/dice:1zyxsbam]
Wild [dice:1zyxsbam]62260:1[/dice:1zyxsbam]
Occult 3
Occult [dice:1zyxsbam]62260:2[/dice:1zyxsbam]
Wild [dice:1zyxsbam]62260:3[/dice:1zyxsbam]
Perhaps it was because she was new in town and thus still unknown to everyone, Morri found it difficult to ask for the relevant information that she needed. It looked like she was going to have to figure this one out on her own, trying to recall various horror films she'd seen and books she'd read. Granted those were works of fiction, but surely they had some useful information.

Holy symbols were suppose to be useful, thanks to her Catholic faith she normally wore a silver crucifix on a chain round her neck but figured it couldn't hurt to carry a larger one. A wooden stake was a classic trope in vampire fiction, so it seemed like a good choice. What else? Oh yes, vampires supposedly didn't have a reflection and she nabbed a pocket mirror to boot.

That seemed like a decent selection, though she couldn't help think she was missing something.

Gear
Crucifix
Wooden Stake
Pocket Mirror
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Peter

Post by Peter »

"I'll go iside. I probably have the most experience with the blood suckers. Who wants to come with?"
Character Name: Peter
Player name on discord: Mike (Stoic)
Key and Initiative edges: Alertness, Dark Tidings

Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
ISP: 15 of 15
Tania

Post by Tania »

Tania quickly volunteers, "I may not have much experience with vampires, but if you need someone who can handle themselves in a fight, that is my specialty. Especially if I wear heavy silver rings on my hands so I can pound he vamps and they will feel it. I get the impression wearing jewelry inside will not look that strange."

Nightbane in human form are hard to detect, and if she needs to she can morph to her ghoulish form and put the hurt on...though she is not sure whether silver hurts her in that form...she better check.

"I need to check if silver hurts ME if I touch it in my other form...the matter has not come up yet," Tania says.

She takes the heavy silver rings she was considering wearing and holds them in her hands (not wears them) when she transforms.
Morphus Form: Charisma -4, Pace 6, Parry 8, Toughness: 10
Current wounds = 0
current bennies = 4

Return to “Nightbane Adventures”