Home Sweet... Home?

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Ndreare »

One of the advantages of being an astral mage is the ability to get around. As soon as she encountered the place between @Triessa knew not only what it was, but how to use the exits.

The advantages of one of those exits going directly to Chicago meant that she could easily make it from her house to home in no time. So when Triessa arrived at the old farm she used to spend her summers at hoping to see her grandparents and touch base with them she was surprised to find them not there.

She had just talked to them on the phone less than an hour ago, they knew she was coming and yet no one was home. Walking around she knew how to get in the back door. It was always open, but then she saw it. The door laying on its side, split nearly in half and the damage to the floor all made it obvious. Hounds had been here, it looks like quite a few of them.

Running in and prepared for any traps left behind @Triessa found her grandfathers remains. Somehow she found four bodies of her grandfather, each with enough of him for there to be no doubt it was a mostly whole body. They had obviously gone down fighting, carrying a sword and covered with multiple hits, each time he was slain he had taken many wounds fighting first. But her grandmother was missing. The door leading down to the basement was torn open, and it was at that moment Triessa realized she had never even known her grandparents had a basement. She could feel the residual wards on the door that must have protected it.

Slowly going down into the basement she sees a large study, several wards and glyphs written on surfaces destroyed and the room itself had been burned out. How it was possible to burn what must have been hundreds, maybe even a thousand books without the whole house catching fire she did not know.

She needed to find her grandmother, she needed to find out who took her, and why would they take her alive? But one thing she did know is, if there where hounds involved she would need help from her friends.

Calling up the others she tells them she needs them to meet here in The Place Between. From there she can get them to her grandparents farmhouse easily.

INSTRUCTIONS
Time to call your friends for help.
While you are at it make a Notice roll, if you still have investigator add that bonus.

Traveling through the astral to the gate here in Chicago that connects to The Place Between will take you about 20 minutes. From there you can reach any point The Place Between touches.

You can of course call up your friends and have them waiting for you. Then bring them across here in Chicago.


Everyone else is just arriving on scene after Triessa brought you here.

Make a Notice roll

We are all in the scene and have had the opportunity to taste a little of Triessa's special power.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Triessa
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Triessa »

Nearly an hour passed from the moment Triessa arrived at her grandparents' farm to when she finally dialed Gravely. It took a surprising amount of time for one's world to disintegrate. From the violence inside the house, to the hollow dread of her missing grandmother, to the inarticulate loss of...of whatever had been down there that had been burned, something just broke inside of her. Everything just jammed, and all she could do was go outside and sit on the ol' sittin' log...as her grandpa used to call it. A flattened and polished stump under a much larger sister tree that had the tire swing dangling from a branch on the other side. Triessa sat on it, feeling an inexorable sense of pressure building up, but absolutely unable to do anything about it.

It took just under half an hour for her breathing to hitch, and the first tear to fall from her eye...and like a tiny hole suddenly blowing out an entire bulkhead in an explosive decompression event, that was all it took. Her next breath was a scream. The one after was also a scream, but sort of choking because she was trying to cry at the same time.

Another half an hour later Triessa's sobs ground to a halt not because the pain had lessened, but because the flesh was too weak to sustain it. Her eyes felt like they were going to fall out of her face, and her face itself felt almost numb in the cheeks and forehead. Her whole body prickled and felt numb, and there was a ringing in her ears. She'd already thrown up into the grass under the swing tree.

Dimly, somehow, a flicker of actual thought managed to push its way through the grief as she sat in the eye of the hurricane. She couldn't call the police for this. She needed help.

When Gravely got the call, the person on the other end sounded like a long-time cigarette addict who had a really bad cold. If she hadn't identified herself as Triessa, he would never have guessed it. He started to ask what was wrong but Triessa interrupted him, saying, "Just...get everyone together in the Place Between. I'll explain...I'll meet you there. I can't talk right now. I can't." And then she hung up.

When Triessa met them in the Place Between, even her sunglasses couldn't hide that she'd been crying. It went way beyond just her eyes being puffy...it seemed like half her face was. Her nose was still shiny. Her cheeks stained bright red.

"I know, most of you don't really know me much," she started off, and her voice was creaky like wagon wheels in an old western. "This isn't...official business, so nobody has to come, but..." Triessa broke off for a second and furiously shook her head, trying to recover. "Anyone who's willing to come help me, it's just a farm my family owns."

No one opted out, and Triessa seemed genuinely grateful at that as she had everyone link hands...then guided them through the strange hallways of the Place Between, navigating them as if they weren't all impossible to tell apart from one another. Finally they came to the distinctive ladder and door that marked one of the entrances, and Triessa climbed up first. One by one, each of the others followed.

From the manhole in the road that it opened into, it was a pretty short walk to Triessa's farm, and she pointed at the house there.

"I, uh...there's been murders. Inside. And...arson, or something. I need you guys' help to find out what happened, and...and..." she shook her head, seemingly fighting for breath for a second. "I'll go in too. In a minute. I just need a minute."

Rolls: Notice 6
Notice 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2 Wild 1d6!!+1: [5]+1 = 6

User avatar
Tania
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Tania »

Tania walks over to Triessa and open her arms, if the other girl needs a shoulder to cry on, hers is available. Later she can try to see if she can find out anything, but the clues should still be here then, Triessa needs help now.

Tania says, "I do not have many friends, but I am loyal to the ones I have, if you need me I am there. One thing you may not know, Bloodhounds have little on Hyenas when it comes to tracking, there is a good chance I will be able to follow whoever did this, if can do it in Morphus."

While she says it to help comfort the other girl, it is still true, she may not be as good as a real animal at tracking yet, she does have the senses for it.
Morphus Form: Charisma -4, Pace 6, Parry 8, Toughness: 10
Current wounds = 0
current bennies = 4

User avatar
Morri
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Morri »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
"Erm, hate ta spoil the moment....but where are we?" Morri asked out loud. "Kansas?"

"Sorry, just trying ta get me head round the whole teleportation thing."

As she spoke, Morri took the opportunity to glance round and see whether anything stood out to her.

User avatar
Sam
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Sam »

Sam takes in the grisly scene
Notice 1d8!+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Wild 1d6!+2: [6!, 5]+2 = 13

Occult 1d6!: [4] = 4 , Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
, hoping something will jump out at him.

”We’ll help figure this out, @Triessa. And everything I do is sanctioned, so no worries there. You’re not alone right now.”

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Peter »

Notice 9
Notice
1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9

Wild Die
1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Hearing the news, Peter heads over immediately. When he sees Treissa he nods grimly, but doesn't go to comfort her. His experience as a trained psychologist informs he m that she needs her space, but he offers to lend an ear if she needs it.

"We will do whatever it takes to find her, no matter where she is."

User avatar
Sam
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Sam »

Sam’s hand starts to tremble ever so slightly while looking around. This is sick, man. No one should have to deal with this with their own family.

His mind starts to wander, and he wonders where they will be crashing tonight, even as he tries to keep his head in the grisly game in front of them. Hopefully, it’s somewhere with at least a little bit of privacy.

User avatar
Alexis
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Alexis »

As the rest of the group comforts Triessa, Alex stands off to one side, giving them their space. He idly wonders what it must be like to have a home. Even the foster families that weren't horrible were never home.

His introspection comes to an abrupt halt as the group arrives at the farm. Taking his cue from the others, he watches them move out before following suit. Stopping to stare at the bodies on the floor, he slowly asks to no one in particular,"Her family had quadruplets?'

Notice 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Last edited by Alexis on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gravely
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Home Sweet... Home?

Post by Gravely »

The last one to exit the manhole cover, Gravely stands up straight and stretches. He then turns around and looks at what @Triessa had been waiting a few minutes to introduce everyone to. Her other grandparents farm house.

Before approaching the farmhouse, Gravely visually checked on Triessa, making sure she had not been injured by being a bystander. She did not favor a leg or hold an arm. She seemed to stand fairly straight though her shoulders were hunched forward. Her looking at the ground instead of into people's faces, meant that she was really struggling with the scene.

"I know you are dealing with some grief and shock. Don't rush things."

"I can get the team focused and teach them how to move through a crime scene."

"We focus on what is evident first and then we will come back to conclusions and theories."

He helps Triessa to a tree stump near the road by the farmhouse. Handing her a couple of bottles of water and a ziploc bag with wet wipes. "Gather yourself together. Freshen up as well. You will be fine without makeup."

Making sure she has her phone, Gravely waves his at her. "Call me before you move. Or if anything comes to mind."

Approaching the rest of the team, he gives
Just the Facts (Cautious) & Seen from Every Angle (Hesitant)
Calculating & Reliable Edges
Common Knowledge (Support) 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Free Reroll on Support (Reliable)
Common Knowledge (Support) 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
for conducting a search through a crime scene.

Satisifed that the team will be able to handle themselves,
Danger Sense & Alertness
Notice 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Gravely
Quick Stat _
Rank 7 Seasoned Human Mortal Champion
Pace: 6 / 1d6 || Parry: 5 || Toughness: 5 [0 /4] ||
Wounds: 0 of 3 || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense
    Alertness
    Calculating
    Marksman
Relevant Edges:
  • Command
    Natural Leader
    Inspire
Bennies: 5/5
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • M4
    Glock
    Brass Knuckles
    Switchblade

Post Reply

Return to “City of Chicago”