12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4103
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Ndreare »

Having satisfied themselves with the shake down of the new ship, the former crew of the Remorseless only have two small tasks left to do. They need to name their new ship, updating the AI to reflect the new name. Then they need to find a new job.

But as they consider their options, and establish parts and materials for travel they find they are in luck as a call comes over the communication network. The comm ID masked well enough, with a foux ID from Center, that she cannot help but note the skill involved in the dead end spoofing. Instinctively answering the call Death Otter sees an attractive humanoid with light teal skin looking at her. “Ah Death Otter,

“Howdy, I’m Reynard, a friend of Fiona’s. I was hoping to be able to get hold of her, or whoever books jobs for your team. I have an opportunity for you, that pays pretty well. Assuming you are up for it.”

Taking a sip from a cup of some unseen liquid, he finishes. “So is she available, or whoever is handling your client interfacing?”

Pausing a bit as the relevant representatives are gathered and then waiting for the appropriate introductions to be made, he lays out the job.

  • MierLeothan Rayna was just kidnapped.
  • In the process her grandfather Leothan Pyrrvyn was gravely injured.
  • Pyrrvyn wants her brought home safe and unharmed.
  • Pyrrvyn will pay the 5,000,000 being asked for ransom to you, if you can bring her safely home.
  • He will pay double (an extra 5,000,000) bounty for the corpse of her kidnappers.
  • He will pay another 5,000,000 if you can bring a sample of whatever was used on him, that has affected him and keeps reinfecting him.


As Reynard begins talking it takes him about five minutes to outline the basics of the job...

Leothan Pyrrvyn’s granddaughter was kidnapped this morning. Normally he would go after her himself, but in the process they infected him with some sort of agent that has incapacitated him and the healers have not been able to keep him awake for more than a couple hours at a time.

They sent him a ransom message with her ear asking for five million TGC. But after consulting with some advisors, he feels that if he pays they will just ask for more, and then they will likely kill her in the end anyways.

He wants his granddaughter back, as safely as possible, and hopefully not traumatized from the experience. He is willing to pay you the five million being asked for ransom if you can track down the kidnappers and bring Rayna home safely. If you bring the corpses of her kidnappers he will double the payment.

Whether he lives or dies, he wants to know she is home and safe so he has already put the payment into escrow, in case he passes before she is saved.

But there is another opportunity here. If you can find out what they infected him with and bring a sample of it back with you he will pay another five million. He hopes the doctors can examine it and figure out what was so powerful it shut him down.

But there is a problem. You see, I think she is working with them. Pyrrvyn is a pretty powerful being, not just politically, but also arcanely. I do not think a team skilled enough to take him out, would resort to mid level kidnapping.

So I am guessing that when you find her, she may not want to come back. Rayna is a tricky girl, she inherited some of her grandfather's power, and all of her mothers guile. She can talk a human out of its oxygen, to put it simply, so you will need to watch out for her.

After informing you of the basics, he begins outlining the details. The funds are to be sent via a private organic courier who does not have supernatural powers and delivered to an android at a location in the slug section of level 4 in four standard hours. After that the droid will make the needed transfers. In a situation like this the droid is normally programmed with only the basics and then wiped, so we were hoping if you could get there in time before the droid is wiped, maybe your techno-path could get some information on the transfer or on who programmed the droid.

So what do you say, are you up for the job?



INSTRUCTIONS, Chose one task to roll on
Assuming you take the job; Instructions
This is a lot of money for what should be a brief job. When the money is that high it also means it will be a dangerous and difficult mission.
If what he says is true about the girl working with the kidnappers then it could be pretty hard to bring her back unharmed.

RP and discuss what you are doing then begin making plans. Once you are ready here is the task.

You have three simple task to accomplish the first part of the mission.

Deliver the Credits
The credits must be delivered to a representative in a very dangerous area of Center. Brute force and raw power alone will not keep you safe in a city populated by beings who crush tanks with their bare hands.
Roll Intimidation -4 or Stealth -6;
  • Critical Failure: The character is spotted, and harassed by the residents of the splugorth sector, as the potential life of a future slave becomes possible. Once they see you injured they smell blood in the water and form a large assault. She is Distracted, takes 1d4 wounds, and must roll Notice, failure means the credits are stolen somewhere along the path.
  • Failure: The character is spotted, and harassed by the residents of the splugorth sector, as the potential life of a future slave becomes possible. She is Distracted and takes 1 wound.
  • Success: It is a Dangerous place, but you fit in, showing no signs of fear. (She does not take fatigue.)
  • Raise: Making is through was easy as pie for you. You even came across an unrelated battle that had nothing to do with you. Roll Notice, on a success you managed to find either a medium personal Force Field, or an Amulet or Invulnerability (3 times per day may activate Protection providing +4 Heavy Armor, no roll is needed)

Support the Delivery - (No Limit to Support)
The delivery will be dangerous, and he will need support. You provide overwatch from the shadows, helping a little here or there to keep things out of his path.
This roll can happen before or after the Delivery roll is made, and there is no limit to the amount of support possible.
Roll Intimidation -2, Notice -2 or Stealth -2;
  • Critical Failure: You tried to help, but ended up in trouble yourself, forcing the Delivery person to interrupt their mission and help you. They suffer -1 to their roll, and you are jumped as someone decides you would make a great arena slave. You take 1d4 wounds.
  • Failure: You tried to help, but unfortunately it was all you could do to keep yourself safe. They receive no modifier to their roll and you take 1 wound.
  • Success: Nice, you are able to divert some troublemakers from interfering with the Delivery agent. They receive +1 to the delivery roll. (You do not take fatigue.)
  • Raise: Awesomeness is your bread an butter. You manage to divert a whole group of troublemakers or perhaps multiple individuals from interfering. They receive +2 to the delivery roll and Gain the same reward!
Follow the Android
The Kitani styled android is old and damaged looking. Once it takes possession of the credit sticks, it scans them and transfers them onto its own onboard computer.
Then it leaves, deliberately moving through hostile areas and cutting through small ducts a Size 0 being could not fit through.
3 Tokens are required to follow the android
Roll Athletics -4, Electronics -2, Intimidation -2, or Stealth -2;
  • Critical Failure: You messed things up and even obstructed the others trying to help. The team loses 1 token.
    Even worse you find yourself in a Dangerous Quick Encounter rolling at -2.
  • Failure: Following this robot was nearly impossible. You lost track the first time, and even when others tried to help could not get back on track. You receive no tokens.
  • Success: Nice, following this thing was not so hard, and even when it ditched you, your team work allowed you to relay the information allowing your team to get back on track. You gain 1 token.
  • Raise: Awesomeness each raise grants an additional token as your contribution to following the android unnoticed proves your value to the team.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players

,

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list]see Cards in Rob's games bellow for exact card.[/list][/color][/b]

,
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kal assumes an average humanoid form for the meeting, not wishing to betray his draconic nature (assuming their contact doesn't already know who they are). As Reynard finishes relaying the details of the job, Kal begins grilling the coordinator. "Who is this Pyrrvyn? Why is he such a target that they have both poisoned him and kidnapped his descendant? Are there any other descendants that may have conspired against the granddaughter? Or perhaps they conspired with the granddaughter. Is Pyrrvyn's wealth substantial enough to pay the fees proposed, up to and including all bonuses? Tell me about the granddaughter. She is powerful? What kind of power? Is she jealous of her grandfather's wealth? What could she gain from her own kidnapping? Has the ear been verified to be hers?"
With that, he leans in closer, his eyes searching for weakness in Reynard. "Why have you come to us with this job? How do you know Fiona? What do you get from this liaison?"
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Zilaetheryan
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Zilaetheryan »

Zil listens carefully (for him) begin speaking up.

Once the job is taken, he says,“It seems to me that the delivery of the credits will be the most difficult step in getting this job of the ground, yes? Surely, then, I will assist there.”
Zilaetheryan
Humanoid Form Pace: 6; Parry: 7, 9 w/FIWS; Toughness: 22(11)
Dragon Form Pace: 6; Flight Pace: 18; Parry: 7; Toughness: 38(18) MDC; Size: 6
Notes: Causes Fear checks (in dragon form); Resistant to fire and cold (-4) (in dragon form); Enemies (human supremacists)
Zil
User avatar
Sa’Maku
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Sa’Maku »

Zilaetheryan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:02 pm Zil listens carefully (for him) begin speaking up.

Once the job is taken, he says,“It seems to me that the delivery of the credits will be the most difficult step in getting this job of the ground, yes? Surely, then, I will assist there.”
While not one who needs assistance in matters of force, even Sa'Maku gives respect to the might of dragons. "Yes, there are many beings with little honour in that area. Yet, even they respect dragons and give them a wide berth. Your help is most appreciated."

Walking through the Splugorth controlled area makes Sa'Maku enraged. The slave pens go against everything his people believe, and yet, nothing can be done. His impotence in the face of such injustice puts a scowl on his face, exposing rows of sharp teeth. His eyes narrow like a predator, staring down anyone who steps in his path with the not-so-implicit threat of consumption by the angry lizard-man. Of course, in the bizzare worlds of the Splugorth there is awalys something that could eat you as well. Warily, Sa'Maku presses on.

Intimidation 1d10!! / 1d6!! (plus support): [3]+[1] = 4
Benny Intimidation 1d10!! / 1d6!! (plus support): [4]+[1] = 5
MOAR Benny 1d10!! 1d6!!: [5]+[1] = 6
User avatar
Fiona Gladbrooke
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Fiona Gladbrooke »

Kalaetheryan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:17 pm
With that, he leans in closer, his eyes searching for weakness in Reynard. "Why have you come to us with this job? How do you know Fiona? What do you get from this liaison?"
Chuckling at the wyrmlings mistrust Fi speaks up. "Reynard and I go back decades, the hows and whens are irrelevant but my last bit of business with him was to arrange the purchase of this ship."

Looking to the screen she addresses Reynard. "This sounds up our alley so we probably will take it. We'll need the clients intel on the grand-daughter and her associates. I think you're dead on about the victim and about this being more than a simple kidnapping so any heads up we can glean will be useful."
Fiona Quick stats
[https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=4214]Fiona Gladbrooke[/url]
Pace: 6; Parry: 6/8 Toughness: 10 base, 24 (11) in full kit
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: XX/XX
Bennies: 3/3
Edit Signature
Characters Imperator (GM account), Barinthasheer, Aggelos, Xiang, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Kyrin Brand
User avatar
Nimbus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Nimbus »

OOC Comments

Spellcasting 1d10: [9] = 9
Spellcasting Wild Die 1d6!!: [3] = 3
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kalaetheryan nods at @Fiona Gladbrooke, satisfied (at least apparently) with her history and knowledge of Reynard. "Very well, Fiona. If you say so." He sits and listens to any additional discussion of the job, mulling over the appropriate paths and plans, with a backup plan in case the backup plan goes wrong.

At the appointed day and time, he assumes an appropriate form for @Sa'Maku's walk through the Splugorth district. He remains a good distance away, intent on not being tied to the courier or giving would-be bandits the idea that the Seljuk is accompanied.
Kal's

Notice: 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
WD Notice: 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny Notice: 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
WD Benny Notice: 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
2nd Benny Notice: 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
2nd WD Benny: 1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
when he spots a crew of ruffians of a mingling of races clearly eyeballing Sa'Maku from an alley.

Before he reaches the fateful intersection, Kal makes an appearance behind the gang, having assumed a relatively non-threatening form. "Excuse me. I am lost. Perhaps you can assist me?"
The hoods jump almost in unison, clearly not expecting anyone at their backs. "Get gone or get gutted!" The leader points back down the dead end alley, expecting Kal to simply melt through the walls.
"Gutted? That sounds unpleasant. Let's try this instead. YOU get gone, or I'll have your friends empty your entrails through your eyes." The dragon, still in an innocuous form, begins to exert his psionic control over the lead tough. The brute's eyes glaze over, and he nods emphatically. "Yeah. You're right. We don't need this anyway. Let's go!" The leader strolls casually out of the alley and down the street past Sa'Maku. The rest of the gang exchanges confused looks, but eventually follows their boss, though they aren't as casual about their departure. After their exit from the area, Kal notices an object dropped by the leader as he left.
"What's this...it's mine now." He pockets the newly-discovered force field unit and moves on about his business.

Satisfied with a benevolent avoidance of violence (why draw attention to their plan?) Kal resumes his vigilance over the delivery.
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Flynn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Flynn »

Flynn was told to help follow the bot once the exchanged happened. He was paired with the human, but no one had properly introduced them so he had only caught her name once or twice when used by the other drew. He thought it might be something like Fluffy squirrel or something close to that. Humans were so weird. He was following her closely when the bot suddenly dived down a very tight tunnel and the human just stopped and started staring off into space. Damn humans were very weird. Flynn brought up his data pad and began hacking into all the data pads, sensor networks, and security cameras he could find. He was barely getting a signal so he moved a couple yards away from Sleepy Racoon and the signal increased greatly. In a few seconds he picked up the bot again and took off in that direction. He radioed back to Plush Bunny that the bot was headed into the warren and hoped she would catch up. The bot made several twists and turns and even double back past the pick up spot trying to lose any pursuit, but Flynn could not be shaken loose that easy. He did stay back a ways incase the bot was being watched. While he was hacked into a really hard and high level security system he did notice some very interesting code. He download the code to take a look at later.

Electronics 1d10+4-2: [3]+4-2 = 5 Wild 1d6+4-2: [3]+4-2 = 5 Benny with Elan 1d10+4: [2]+4 = 6 Wild with elan 1d6+4: [2]+4 = 6 Another benny 1d10+4: [9]+4 = 13 Another wild 1d6+4: [5]+4 = 9
User avatar
Zilaetheryan
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Zilaetheryan »

Zil accompanies @Kalaetheryan and @Sa’Maku into the Slugorth part of town. Zil is unimpressed, though he does feel a certain sympathy towards the slave creatures, which is new for him.

Once Sa has the package, Zil abandons all subtly and takes his true form, wings extended and wisps of power leaking from between his teeth and from his nose.

”If anyone is fool enough to assault us now, they deserve their fate,” he growls.

+1 Support
Per GM, Zil’s assumption of dragon form counts as a success on Intimidation.
Zilaetheryan
Humanoid Form Pace: 6; Parry: 7, 9 w/FIWS; Toughness: 22(11)
Dragon Form Pace: 6; Flight Pace: 18; Parry: 7; Toughness: 38(18) MDC; Size: 6
Notes: Causes Fear checks (in dragon form); Resistant to fire and cold (-4) (in dragon form); Enemies (human supremacists)
Zil
User avatar
Death Otter
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 12 - These Are Never Easy Jobs...

Post by Death Otter »

When the robot suddenly scuttled away, like a little ratling, Death Otter cursed under her breath and ran over to the duct it had escaped into. There was no following it, not for her. But maybe she didn't need to.

Closing her eyes for a moment, Otter focused on the electromagnetic 'echoes' in her head. The robot was one of those sparks, discernable for its movement and speed and location. She focused in, then said, "Follow me!"

And then they were off. The robot was fiendishly fast, but wasn't trying to outrun them so much as take a course that would be impossible to predict. The path looped back on itself, hopping from duct to sewer, to maintenance corridor, but it never quite got too far from Death Otter to be sensed.

(pending item choice to add 'finding narrative')

Rolls: Psionics 8, ISP 18
Psionics (+4 ISP for +2 to roll)
Psionics 1d12!!: [8] = 8 Mind Meltah Reroll 1d12!!: [8] = 8 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
ISP 3d6: [4, 6, 4] = 14
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World On the Job”