12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4106
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Ndreare »

Kalaetheryan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:17 pm Kal assumes an average humanoid form for the meeting, not wishing to betray his draconic nature (assuming their contact doesn't already know who they are). As Reynard finishes relaying the details of the job, Kal begins grilling the coordinator. "Who is this Pyrrvyn? Why is he such a target that they have both poisoned him and kidnapped his descendant? Are there any other descendants that may have conspired against the granddaughter? Or perhaps they conspired with the granddaughter. Is Pyrrvyn's wealth substantial enough to pay the fees proposed, up to and including all bonuses? Tell me about the granddaughter. She is powerful? What kind of power? Is she jealous of her grandfather's wealth? What could she gain from her own kidnapping? Has the ear been verified to be hers?"
With that, he leans in closer, his eyes searching for weakness in Reynard. "Why have you come to us with this job? How do you know Fiona? What do you get from this liaison?"
As Kal begins calling out the potential employer, he seems to handle it better than most would. With a bit of a nervous laugh he replies. “Wow, that’s a lot of questions. Well I guess I will try and answer them all one at a time.”

“Pyrrvyn is a sort of organizer and leader who helps interface between various governments and griminals to ensure the criminals stay in line and do not involve to many civilians.

“As to why they would poison him? That is a good question. He is supposed to be descended from demonic lineage and would have though he was impervious to such a form of attack. Most supernatural beings are. Strange they found a poison that could so incapacitate him.

“As to the powers of Rayna as I understand it she has inherited some of the demonic power from her grandfather and is accomplished in magic of her own.

“I do not think she is jealous, so much as stifled. You know how children get, as soon as they hatch they want to be in charge and forget they are still so young.”

Before he can continue answering Fiona answers for him and he nods.
Fiona Gladbrooke wrote: "Reynard and I go back decades, the hows and whens are irrelevant but my last bit of business with him was to arrange the purchase of this ship."[/b]

Looking to the screen she addresses Reynard. "This sounds up our alley so we probably will take it. We'll need the clients intel on the grand-daughter and her associates. I think you're dead on about the victim and about this being more than a simple kidnapping so any heads up we can glean will be useful."
Delivery = 7 success
-4 Penalty
5 Rolled by Sa’Maku
+2 Support from Numbus
+2 Support from Kal
+1 Support from Zil
+1 Support from Mal
Follow the Robot 5 Tokens, success
3 from Flynn with a 13
2 from Death Otter with a 8

No roll from Fiona or Mal, however both players have had personal items come up.
The move through Center was not nearly as dangerous for the crew as it has been for so many others. Sa’Maku’s movement was trouble free, with the unseen aid of his allies. As they encounter small bits of trouble here and there. They find their own power and confidence is more than enough to ensure their safety.

Kal was able to detect some hoodlums ready to ambush Sa’Maku which could have lead to the delivery being endangered.But his mind overpowered the leader and sent them scrambling. Then the delivery was nearly spoiled by Zil as he revealed his draconic nature while still close to Sa’Maku, but after being revealed Sa’Maku was able to break away from him.

Mal in a position of over watch was able to ensure problems resolved did not come back later to haunt them. keeping cleared paths clear.

As Flynn and Death Otter begin tracking the Robot the rest of the team follows their queues heading back towards the ship, only to find their default direction was a more direct way of going where the Android was going through an indirect route. The electronic tracing of the android showed it going to the space ports and as soon as its shuttle left. Reaching out to the new unnamed Ship the team finds tracking the shuttle remotely from through Death Otter’s psionic connection to the ship to was a simple task of creating a basic routine and letting it run while the crew made their way to the ship themselves.

As the crew watches video of the shuttle leaving Phase World it heads up past the inner ring of space stations surrounding the planet to the outer rings where larger ships usually waited while doing business or sending smaller shuttles and transports. The shuttle finally boards what appears to be a pair of modified Dwarven Iron Ships. The two hulls joined along the long axis by a bridging deck, with what appears to be a small medieval castle sitting in the center.

The ship is obviously not of standard UWW construction as it has been reinforced several times for additional armaments at the sacrifice of any chance to evade or escape a smaller ship. Strange, there is no way this could be a regular bandits ship, the thing would require a minimum crew of hundreds, and likely four or five for a full complement.

Something about the ship seems familiar to the crew.
A Battle roll will reveal some of its name history.


The ship however does not leave and the crew as they watch it floating in space has a large amount of time to think about what could be their next move.

What could be going on, onboard that ship? Is it possible Rayna is this close?



INSTRUCTIONS: Just need a little RP and for you to declare if you are going to try and sneak aboard the ship somehow, or if you are going to wait and follow it to see where it goes or who it communicates with.

I need an electronics roll from whoever is operating the sensors watching the ship.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players

,

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list]see Cards in Rob's games bellow for exact card.[/list][/color][/b]

,
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Death Otter
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Death Otter »

Death Otter broke into a derisive giggle when she saw the ship that the robot had finally made its way onto, and muttered "...castle in space..." A moment later though, the strange human hacker shook her head.

"Stupid design or not, that thing is packing a lot of firepower. Definitely don't want any kind of firefight or we'll lose our new starship before the 'new starship' smell is worked out."

Her eyes narrowed slightly as she stared at the sensor readouts showing a hovering 3D model of the ship. Without looking, she tapped out a rapid-fire set of commands on the panel on the left arm of the captain's seat, calling up a set of holographic screens.

"Huh, okay then. Keep eyes on it, collect info. We're going to need to plan a heist so lets case that space castle up."

Rolls:Battle 5, Support Electronics 8 (+2 to lead roll)
Lead roll on Battle to recognize 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Support on Electronics for Sensor operations 1d8!! +1: [7] = 7
Wild 1d6!! +1: [1] = 1
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kalaetheryan grins. "A plan. My specialty." He takes a particular interest in as much data as @Death Otter can display, searching for any vulnerabilities in the layout or defenses.
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Flynn
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Flynn »

As Rabid Rabbit started issuing commands Flynn thought I need to really learn her name if she is the captain. For now I will just address her as Cap'tn.

She needed data on the ship so Flynn interfaced with the ship and began processing the data. First he brought up all the data he could on Dwarven ships and their registries.
Common knowledge d8+2: [4]+2 = 6 CK wild 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
.

While he was searching this data he split his Positronic Net so it could be gin scanning the ship.
Electronics 1d10+4+2: [6]+4+2 = 12 Elec wild 1d6!!+4+2: [1]+4+2 = 7
Damn he was truly impressed by the ship but he also knew that Cozy Kitty and himself could crack open their systems like an egg. HE toyed with that very idea but decide to wait for the Cap'tn's orders.

"Scanning report coming in now. Putting it up on the main display."
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4106
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Ndreare »

Combined information form Electronics & Battle Rolls

You identify the ship as a custom design made by taking two destroyers and bridging them together into a single pleasure craft. It is one of three such battle cruisers owned by a Dwarf named "Inglix The Mad". He is a terrible villain within the UWW, with a reputation for crossing the lines, cruelty and unrestrained pursuit of power.
There are hundreds, or even thousands of rumors about Inglix from all the creatures he has victimized. But it is hard to know what is true. This particular ship has hundreds of names and is known to change them as needed. But the real name is "Hand of The Avatar" and is rumored to be used as a personal vehicle for one of Inglix's lieutenants and demonic apprentices named "Galbranix".

(Original source for Inglix is Dimension Book 3)
As they look over the potential schematics of the flying monstrosity the absurdity of it all comes to them. The twin submarine like hulls would inherently move slower when forced to be bridged by a joining platform. The castle itself in the middle, likewise to square and boxy to make sense at all, and the whole ship appears to be made of iron and stone as if drawn by a child.

But the weapons and shields on the ship must be incredible. The size of the ship would require hundreds of crew to work and maintain, if they plan to resist piracy of any sort it would require at least double that number. The castle as it stands, does not even have a barrier covering the top, as the open courtyard can be seen into where dwarves are seen wondering about at work.

Worst of all, is trying to identify how the ship would be controlled. Is it a single point on the castle that sends commands to both the command bridges letting them operate as one vessel, or is it two separate vessel working to move enough in synchronism that the stresses do not rip the ships apart.

Basic engineering says the design would only lead to complications.

Castle floor plans can vary quite a bit from one to another, but one thing they almost always have in common is the great doors at the end of the courtyard will like lead into an antechamber that directly connects to a great hall and a throne, where the demon dwarf would receive guests.


Vague example of submarine layout
Vague example of dwarven castle floor plan

I NEED A VOTE: Are you watching and following, or are you planning to try and get on board before they go through a Rift? I can make the next post based on that. You may and are encouraged to RP here if you want. Once I have 5 votes I will move forward.
VOTE HERE: viewtopic.php?f=179&t=5944

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players

,

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list]see Cards in Rob's games bellow for exact card.[/list][/color][/b]

,
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kalaetheryan ponders the situation for awhile before speaking. "This is hardly an easy entry. However, if this vessel vacates the area, we begin to add complications to any plans to board. I suggest allowing me to formulate a plan of attack before they depart."
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Death Otter
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Death Otter »

Death Otter burst into cackles of mirth several times as she examined the sensor readings and the computer-modeled plans as estimated from the information therein. But of course, more than once she also seemed almost personally offended by it, slapping a hand through the hologram and muttering profanity under her breath. Of course, for her, these things could have meant anything...she could have been going over her grocery list in her head and having the same responses.

Finally she nodded and said, "Yeah, we should hit it now while we know where it is. Once it slips away, it could be with a dozen or more of it's friends and that makes everything just...so much worse. Speed is KEY."

Otter rotated the image around a few times, then said, "We'll see if we can find and approach along a sensor blind spot...try to minimize the amount of time the dropship is exposed...insert a team along one of these wall sections that don't have any energy sigs, and hope it's not a bedroom or something. They'll probably have her in a secure location near the center of mass, so we head inward and downward, staying out of sight as long as possible. If it goes wrong and we have to bounce, we blow out a wall and get evac from the dropship."
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kal glances at @Death Otter. "Is it possible to alter the dropship's signal in such a way as to make the enemy ship believe it is supposed to be where it is? Perhaps it is making a delivery, or is otherwise normal traffic. At least as a fallback to pure stealth." He squints at the holograms. "Perhaps, too, we could make arrangements to...acquire...a crewman from their ship and convince them to open a gap in the sensors." He grins menacingly at the thought. "I am quite certain I could convince them with little fanfare."
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Sa’Maku
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Sa’Maku »

Sa'Maku growls as the plan comes together, boarding a ship was what he trained for most of his career. The fact it was a castle made it even more interesting.

"It is possible we could schedule a legitimate job with another nearby ship and make the crossing unseen. This may allow us to get close without any suspicious activity."
User avatar
Flynn
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Flynn »

Kalaetheryan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 am Kal glances at @Death Otter. "Is it possible to alter the dropship's signal in such a way as to make the enemy ship believe it is supposed to be where it is? Perhaps it is making a delivery, or is otherwise normal traffic. At least as a fallback to pure stealth." He squints at the holograms. "Perhaps, too, we could make arrangements to...acquire...a crewman from their ship and convince them to open a gap in the sensors." He grins menacingly at the thought. "I am quite certain I could convince them with little fanfare."
Flynn looked up quickly and the said "Yes I can alter the sensor signature Formosa gives off but if the look out a porthole they will see her for what she really is. No way to cover up all the armorment and I don't relish going in with no weapons or armor."

Going over the idea in his he head, he quickly formulates a plan to make the senor signature of Formosa look like a plain shuttle. Hopefully she would forgive him for this. She could be temperamental at times. Standing up he looks at captain laughing puppy and said "I'll head down to flight deck and begin the modifications to the senor and drive outputs. Once we have a full plan you can brief me in flight."

Not used to working in a crew Flynn does not wait for a response but gets up and heads down to the flight deck. Sitting in his chair where he was the captain he interfaces for Formosa and begins tell her about the plan and what he is doing. He alters the drive signature, sensor outputs, and then goes through a list of other options for masking her. Selecting a few he implements them but rejects most as he does not want to hamper any of Formosa's capabilities. They may have to go tacital quickly and he want her at her best.
User avatar
Malaetheryan
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:14 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Malaetheryan »

Malaethryn considers the matter, and the proposals being given. He then glances at @Kalaetheryan

"I doubt we'll have time to grab a crewman, right now, brother, before we enter the vessel--but I do suspect your knack for... persuasion will be useful once we are on board. After all, our target could be held anywhere on board, and as we were warned, could even be there voluntarily, which would mean she might be in the throne room itself. I think we will need to gather considerable intelligence once we have entered the ship."

Then he turns to @Death Otter. "I don't suppose there is any possibility that we can formulate an escape plan before getting on board in the first place? Assuming we acquire the package without raising the alarms, we may very well be able to depart before our presence is noticed, but will we be able to separate from this behemoth if they are ready to vaporize us as soon as we reach a point where their weapons can be brought to bear?"
Malaethryan
Seasoned Celestial Dragon Hatchling
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d6, Strength d12+3, Vigor d10
Pace: 6"/Fly 12"; Parry: 4; Toughness: Dragon: 36 (18)/Oni: 21 (7); Size: Dragon: 6 (+2)/Oni 1 (0)
Skills:
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Notice d6; Persuasion d4; Stealth d4; Psionics d8; Spellcasting d10; Fighting d4; Occult d8
Edges:
AB: Magic/Psionics, Master of Magic, Dragon Psychic Master, Adept, Concentration, Twin Soul
Hindrances: Tongue-tied, Thin-Skinned, Loyal, Curious, Major Outsider
Natural Weapons/Attacks (Dragon Form):
Claws: Str+3d4 MD, AP 10
Bite: Str+3d4 MD, AP 6, Reach 1
Gear (Oni Form):
Juicer Titan Plate Heavy Armor Multi-Optics Helm, +1 Shooting, +2 Notice, Integrated Naruni Medium Force Field
TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle: Range: 20/40/80; Damage: 1–3d10; RoF: 3; Shots: 50
Notes: Heavy Pulse (+1 Shooting/+3 Damage, 3 Shots); Shotgun Rules (+2 to hit)
Auracles of Spineas: +2 Visual Notice, farsight, darksight, exalted detect arcana
Powers:
Psionic (Adept): boost Trait (Auto-Raise); mind link; speak language; speed
Magic: dispel, growth/shrink, elemental manipulation, puppet, stun
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Kal nods at his brother @Malaetheryan. "You are quite right. Time works against us, here." He listens to the suggestion of an escape plan. "There is a risk of taking on too great a task for a crew this size, but I am certain we could obtain access either to the bridge itself or an engine room if given the chance. Between @Death Otter and @Flynn, one or the other could make enough havoc with their systems so as to facilitate our escape."
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Zilaetheryan
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Zilaetheryan »

Zil, scratching at his chin with one of the almost comically large blades on his FIWS, says, "Can we not simply 'kick in the door,' as you humanoids say? I am happy to go out and draw their ire. I am mighty, and I doubt even their iron fortress will prove more than an annoyance."
Zilaetheryan
Humanoid Form Pace: 6; Parry: 7, 9 w/FIWS; Toughness: 22(11)
Dragon Form Pace: 6; Flight Pace: 18; Parry: 7; Toughness: 38(18) MDC; Size: 6
Notes: Causes Fear checks (in dragon form); Resistant to fire and cold (-4) (in dragon form); Enemies (human supremacists)
Zil
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4106
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Ndreare »

Support - A False Schedule:

The idea of scheduling maintenance on another ship and being allowed to fly close seems to be practical. All it will take is a little fast talking with another ship in the area and heading over.
  • Make a Persuasion or Repair roll: Each succes and raise will grant +1 to Stealth/Piloting rolls to approach.


Support - Modifying Formosa:

As Flynn sets about modifying the Formosa he finds there are compromises he could make, but most of them will sacrifice one thing for the benefits of another.
  • Make a Repair roll: Each success or raise can be used to sacrifice -2 armor, or -1 to weapons accuracy in exchange for a +1 to Piloting/Stealth rolls to approach the ship.


Support - A Capturing a Crew Man:

It seems there is not enough time to wait for a crew man to go down or leave the ship and be captured. But that does not spoil the idea all together. Afterall once on board there will be plenty of crew men for capturing and interviewing.
  • Make an Intimidation roll at +2: Interrogation is handy, each success will grant +1 to the Battle roll to navigate the ship and find the target.


Support - Making an Escape Plan:

Well everyone likes to think the job is done once they save the princess. But a few of you know better. Making an escape plan is a good idea and one that can pay off.
  • Make a Battle roll: each success or raise will grant a dynamic +1 that can be used to support any rolls called for in the next GM post after the granddaughter is found until returning to the ship or center. Up to +2 can be used at a time reactively being added after the dice are rolled.



Getting on Board
To get to the ship will take some time and energy. But you have it in you and know what it will take. After making your plans and setting things in order. Once the plan is made the crew sets about tackling the job they each fall into their roll.
In the end the objective can be broken down into a few easy steps;
  • 1) Get on the ship.
    2) Incapacitate or Kill anyone in the way.
    3) Navigate through it to find Rayna.
    4) Get her off the ship...
1) Get to The Ship

The first objective being to get to the ship without being noticed by the crew or blown out of the sky is difficult to say the least. Narrate your mission and how you get there, including any challenging calls from the dwarven/demon crew.
Landing in the court yard simply will not be an option, so there are dangers of getting close enough and getting through the arcane shields of the vessel.
  • Select Someone to Roll the lower of Piloting -6 or Stealth -2: This is a dangerous encounter. The results are applied to the whole crew (soak rolls allowed versus wounds or fatigue incurred). A critical failure adds a -2 to all other rolls.


2) Incapacitate or Kill anyone in the way (Everyone)

Once you are on board the ship you find the dwarven techno wizard crew is a mixed bag of undead, slaves, and their demon overseers. It turns out among this demonic and undead crew blending in can be harder than expected.
This will be a dangerous quick encounter as the crew makes it through navigating their way to the end, where even a dragon's tough hide may not be enough to save them.
  • EVERY ONE - Roll one of the following at +0 Athletics, Fighting, Power, Shooting, or Vigor: Narrate your roles and actions as you make your way through the crew.
    Every raise after the first can be used to add a +1 reactively to another characters roll if you narrate how you helped them.


3) Navigate through it to find Rayna

Getting on the ship was difficult, and staying alive while swarmed by obstacles can be hard, but finding a single person deliberately hidden from you on a ship with more in common to ancient layouts than modern ones is the hard part.
Question, ask, navigate or whatever is needed to find the girl and help her get out. When you find her, she is locked in a room as a prisoner, and is obviously not here of her own choice. She begins to help you navigate out, the whole time chatting like this was a sunday stroll. INCLUDE HEADING FOR EXIT, BUT NOT LEAVING, there will be an fight
  • Select Roll Battle -2: This will be a roll of Battle -2, failure will be another round of step two as you look for her. Sa’Maku may roll Common Knowledge (if higher) for this roll based on his character background.





YOU MAY PARTICIPATE IN ONE SUPPORT ROLL ABOVE WITHOUT A MAP FOR THE MISSION ROLL.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players

,

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list]see Cards in Rob's games bellow for exact card.[/list][/color][/b]

,
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Technospawn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Technospawn »

Flynn was modifying Formosa and got bored. Sometimes things were just too easy so he partitioned off his positronic net and started creating multiple false schedules for maintenance craft need near the dwarf monstrosity. Flynn hate ugly ships. Ships were meant to be graceful and have lines. Snapping back to the coding he was doing on Formosa, he realized he went too far and compromised the weapons systems, so be removed some of the code.
Probability matrix to boost repair 1d8+4: [5]+4 = 9 Schedule repair 1d12+5: [4]+5 = 9 Modifying repair 1d12+5: [9]+5 = 14


When he was done he went back the bridge and let captain squishy eel know that he and the ship were ready. When the planning was done he grabbed his gear and headed to Formosa. Once everyone was onboard he eased out of the hangar bay and followed the flight path of the faked ship perfectly. He was next to the dwarf ship before anyone noticed. He linked to the AI and then everyone stormed the castle.
piloting to the ship 1d12+2: [10]+2 = 12 Pilot wild 1d10: [6] = 6


While making their way to the girl Flynn tried to thing where the pinch points would be. Where would he try to ambush the invades. He relayed this info to the Seljuk. Man he really needed to learn the crews' names. It may have not been much help but it did keep them from getting trapped a few times.
Finding the girl 1d6-2: [2]-2 = 0 Wild girl 1d6-2: [6]-2 = 4


But the march done to the dungeon and back was a hard pressed fight. Flynn was not a front line fighter like most of the crew but it was lethal with ol' Bessie. Everytime a dwarf would try to flank around the crew, Flynn would fill the dwarf full of holes. There were a couple close calls were a dwarf got passed the crew and close to Flynn but then a halberd would cut the dwarf in half so Flynn could keep firing away. Suddenly they were surrounded and one of the crew, Flynn was not sure which one was getting overwhelmed. Letting go of his conscious mind Flynn let instinct take over. Firing Bessie as fast as he could when he dumped the e-clip and look around he had killed dozens of dwarves and the crew was safe.
Killing it softly 1d10++5: [2] = 2 Killing wild 1d6+5: [2]+5 = 7 Benny to kill it again 1d10+7: [1]+7 = 8 Benny wild 1d6+7: [5]+7 = 12


Got an extra raise on Kill Everyone, so anyone that needs the assist can have it.
GM Stuff
Initiative

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000] Initiative[/b]
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions. Ties can be broken by an athletics roll.
[list][*][b]Lowest card goes first[/b]
[*][b]Quick rerolls 41 or higher[/b]
[*]1, 2, 3, 4 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 4 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Savage Realms Bennies
GM = 7/7 Jarierth = 0/2
User avatar
Sa’Maku
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Sa’Maku »

Intimidation 16
Support - Intimidation 1d10!! / 1d6!!: [1]+[2] = 3 Benny

Benny Support Intimidation 1d10!! / 1d6!!: [5]+[16!!] = 21
Dealing with the captured crew member is no problem, two dragons and a massive Seljuk can be extremely persuasive. Sa lets the dragons do their thing, before leaning in close starting softly as if to play good cop, then goes to worse cop.

"Funny thing, dragons like to cook their food. You know burn people with flaming breath before eating them. Me, I like my food raw and squirming. Imagine being eaten alive, you feel everything and it takes a while. Makes for exciting eating, for me anyway."
Mission 2:8, 3:11
Mission 2 - Fighting 1d12!! / 1d6!!: [8]+[4] = 12

Mission 3 - Common Knowledge 1d6!! / 1d6!!: [11!!]+[5] = 16
Aboard the ship Sa'Maku shows what a trained space marine can do. His power armor clanks along the floor and ceilings as his massive power halberd cuts down crewman after crewman with professional precision. He clears corridors, holds junctions, and secures each room with clinical coldness.

He maps their route on his HUD as they go making it easier to avoid trouble when it comes time to exit.
User avatar
Death Otter
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Death Otter »

Death Otter started off by contacting one of the many haulers and scows that trawled space around the station. It was luck more than skill that the two captains hit it off over a shared interest in Universal Havokkk 3: Even Moar Havokkk. After sharing some hot tips, and sending him a cracked copy of the latest expansion, Otter had secured a bit of a course change from a passenger transit barge that would take it at the perfect trajectory to block out some of the Formosa's approach.

Once in the ship, she left the blasting to those on the team who were best at it. Otter focused on intel gathering. The dwarf ship was wizard garbagetech, but her time on the Peacekeeper had not been spent idly. She understood how to interface with that junk much better than she once had. There would always be crystals and jars full of weird creatures, and pages covered in runes hooked in that she couldn't do anything with...but it was wired into computers and electronics that she very much could.

And fortunately, among the things she could access were cameras; internal sensors. It was much easier to blast when you knew who was coming, how many, and from what direction.

Rolls: False Schedule 17, Incapcitate/Kill 11
Support: Persuasion 1d4!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Benny? Pesuasion 1d4!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [17!!] = 17

I'm not counting any situational bonuses or penalties here, so final score may need tweaking.
Kill everyone: Psionics 1d12!!: [7] = 7 Psi Reroll 1d12!!: [11] = 11 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
User avatar
Kalaetheryan
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Kalaetheryan »

Capturing crewman raise
Psionics for capturing a crewman: 1d10!!+2: [6]+2 = 8
WD Psionics: 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
"It's frightening, isn't it?" Kalaetheryan leans into @Sa'Maku's performance. "Being eaten alive is hardly a delightful prospect, but when he puts it like that..." The dwarven form Kal assumed shudders to emphasize the horror of witnessing yourself being devoured. "Well, let's not dwell on that, shall we? Let's talk of better things. Tell me..." He stares into the eyes of the dwarven crewman the brothers and the Seljuk took. "Where is Rayna? The new acquisition. Where is she? And please..." He looks back at Sa'Maku before addressing the crewman again. "Be specific. Or I will leave my associate to indulge his appetites."
As a parting instruction, the crewman is directed both to conceal what had just happened, and also to divert his comrades to the opposite ends of the ship as soon as the alarms are sounded, hopefully minimizing the opposing force for their eventual exit.
Successful killing everyone
Vigor for Killing Everyone: 1d10!!: [1] = 1
WD Vigor: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Kal, having assumed his full hulking size, takes an almost masochistic delight in absorbing the worst of the defenders' onslaught. Lasers register as less than a pinprick. Even railguns and heavy weaponry give him little pause and only serve to stoke his fury. He even dives in front of a missile aimed at Sa'Maku. A direct hit opens a gaping wound on the dragon's chest. Those among the castle's defenders who thought they'd scored a decisive blow against the titanic lizard watch in horror as the wound mends in moments. His howls of pain melt into roars of unbridled rage. He returns in kind the violence he withstands, throwing chunks of the ship, running down and stomping, rending, and biting his foes, and tormenting their minds with horrible illusions hand-crafted to match the target's worst fears.
Kalaetheryan
Kalaetheryan
Current Status Post
Parry: 5; Toughness 42 (22)
User avatar
Zilaetheryan
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Zilaetheryan »

If it's still needed, that's an auto +1 on Intimidation for being in dragon form while Sa does his interrogation.
when @@Sa’Maku finishes the interrogation. Sometimes, his diminutive form just feels more... appropriate to the task at hand.

Fighting 10, Raise on Murdering the Opposition
Fighting 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[1] = 3
Reroll Fighting 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [9]+[2] = 11 +1 from martial artist
When it comes time to fight, Zil is a blur. The claws on his FIWS paint the corridors of the iron castle with gore as he tears through the enemy fighters. "Come on! COME ON! Bring me a challenge!" he screams, the adrenaline of battle driving him to attempt flashier and flashier maneuvers and leaving him vulnerable to counterattacks. None of the defenders are quick enough to take advantage of Zil's showiness, however, and he scythes through them like wheat.
Zilaetheryan
Humanoid Form Pace: 6; Parry: 7, 9 w/FIWS; Toughness: 22(11)
Dragon Form Pace: 6; Flight Pace: 18; Parry: 7; Toughness: 38(18) MDC; Size: 6
Notes: Causes Fear checks (in dragon form); Resistant to fire and cold (-4) (in dragon form); Enemies (human supremacists)
Zil
User avatar
Malaetheryan
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:14 am

Re: 12.1 - A Castle of Iron

Post by Malaetheryan »

+1 Support Action, +1 Support to task 1, Success on Task 2, Fail Support Task 3
Support action: Free Intimidation success from Dragonfear


Task 1: Roll Occult as Support to determine likely magical defenses on the obviously enchanted spacecraft
Occult 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild Occult 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

Task 2: Spellcasting to participate in combat
Spellcasting 1d12!!: [4] = 4
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Task 3: Psionics to get everyone moving faster
Psionics 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild Psionics 1d6!!: [2] = 2
As they approach the ship, Malaethryan spots several potential occult warning systems, directing the pilot to likely blind spots. Once inside, being a dragon makes interrogation a naturally easy thing, at least with those crewmen who are subject to the dragonfear. He puts his mystical might to good use, as well, occasionally either misdirecting a potential obstacle with a well-placed illusion, or simply obscuring the group from view briefly.

His attempts to hustle the group along with a Tachyon Distortion Field during their escape, however, doesn't so much help get them out faster as it does eliminate a few potential delays. Wrong turns simply are overcome by getting everyone moving doubletime for a bit. Still, they manage to get close to getting out of the ship.
Malaethryan
Seasoned Celestial Dragon Hatchling
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d6, Strength d12+3, Vigor d10
Pace: 6"/Fly 12"; Parry: 4; Toughness: Dragon: 36 (18)/Oni: 21 (7); Size: Dragon: 6 (+2)/Oni 1 (0)
Skills:
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Notice d6; Persuasion d4; Stealth d4; Psionics d8; Spellcasting d10; Fighting d4; Occult d8
Edges:
AB: Magic/Psionics, Master of Magic, Dragon Psychic Master, Adept, Concentration, Twin Soul
Hindrances: Tongue-tied, Thin-Skinned, Loyal, Curious, Major Outsider
Natural Weapons/Attacks (Dragon Form):
Claws: Str+3d4 MD, AP 10
Bite: Str+3d4 MD, AP 6, Reach 1
Gear (Oni Form):
Juicer Titan Plate Heavy Armor Multi-Optics Helm, +1 Shooting, +2 Notice, Integrated Naruni Medium Force Field
TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle: Range: 20/40/80; Damage: 1–3d10; RoF: 3; Shots: 50
Notes: Heavy Pulse (+1 Shooting/+3 Damage, 3 Shots); Shotgun Rules (+2 to hit)
Auracles of Spineas: +2 Visual Notice, farsight, darksight, exalted detect arcana
Powers:
Psionic (Adept): boost Trait (Auto-Raise); mind link; speak language; speed
Magic: dispel, growth/shrink, elemental manipulation, puppet, stun
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World On the Job”