2-01 No one said life would be dull

Ndreare
Savage Siri

2-01 No one said life would be dull

Post by Ndreare »

Jobs are not always easy to find. But this time things were working out. It seemed like Vinghab knew someone in every sector of space, and this time out here at the edge of Kregor territory seemed no different.

Galied was an old friend and when he heard Vinghab was in the area actually reached out on his own to contact him. The holo popping to life. He began explaining how much fun he had been having as a bounty hunter himself over the last ten years until this last job. Here he was halfway across the Corkscrew when his ship was stolen and he was left with an anger that would not stop. Galied was not one to bring things up lightly, but he felt like he was still owed one for the events on Durian 9 and if Vinghab and his crew could help him chase down the pirates who stole his ship. Just long enough for him to get on it. The Galied would take care of the rest. Once he had his ship he would be more than happy to pay you guys half a million credits for the time and fuel.

Vinghab read
Vinghab you owe him big time. Not just once but a couple times Galied has done something making this a matter of honor to help him out. Tell us what it was for a Conviction.

Galied never met a challenge he would not accept, but being separated from his ship was enough to piss off anyone. Unfortunately he had a tendency to space people who angered him, so once he had his ship it would be no surprise if those who stole learned if they were space worthy.

Instructions:
Interact and help the warrior out. He will need help getting off planet and help finding who took his ship.

Quick Encounter: One player will lead and post their efforts but not roll the dice as they Research to scroll through the data bases looking for information on who took the ship and where they went.
This can be supported (no combined limit) with Networking +0 (Persuasion/Intimidation), or Research -2.
After all players have rolled their support, or one week the lead character may make a post with just their Research -6 roll modified by the bonuses from support.
Critical Failure: False path and Vinghab gains an increased debt to his friend.
Failure: Nothing, you have no idea.
Success: Ha, we know what they look like and generally where they are headed.
Raise: Jackpot, we know exactly who they are, the planet they are heading to, and who they must be planning on seeing!
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Death Otter

Re: No one said life would be dull

Post by Death Otter »

Long before she'd crewed a starship of ragtag renegades, Death Otter had scratched out a living haunting datavaults and filching files amidst the topless towers of Center. Hunting down rogue data was like riding a bicycle for her. Except not literally because she'd never ridden a bike in her life. Figuratively. It was like riding a bike...if she was someone who'd learned how to ride a bike so comprehensively that it was practically a reflex.

As soon as the ship was in range of the planet's network, she went on the prowl; linking mentally with the wireless signals and sending her consciousness to swim in pure data, looking through buffers and logs for any hint of the stolen starship. The fact was that it wasn't easy to hide a whole ship for any length of time. Any vessel with no filed flight plan, or lacking a transponder, would be flagged by local traffic control. They might or might not investigate further, but the incident would be logged. Otter knew the make and model she was looking for. It was only a matter of time.

Rolls: Research 16
I'll take lead on Research with 1d6+2 and a free reroll. Waiting on Support results to roll
+6 total bonus, including 4 from support!
Research 1d6!! 1d6!!: [10!!]+[1] = 11
Reroll 1d6!! 1d6!!: [2]+[1] = 3
Last edited by Death Otter on Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grazz

Post by Grazz »

Grazz hated to adopt humanoid form but it only complained about it for an hour this time. In his Kydian form Grazz heads to the underbelly of Center. It took him a few stops at some very rough bars but he finally found Drev. Approaching him Grazz was certain of only one thing Drev would sell out anyone or anything for a price. Grazz just had to find the right price. Drev flinched and started looking for an exit when he saw Grazz across the bar. Grazz cut him off near the back door and Drev stopped running and started talking very fast.

Grazz hissed at him to shut up and listen. "Grazz don't have time for games today. Tell Grazz what Grazz want and I will pay you well."

Drev's eye glittered for a moment "how well?"

"Very well. I will pay you with your life. See you tell Grazz what Grazz needs to know and you get your life back?'"

Drev blanched a little "back?"

Grazz nodded "when Grazz walked in here Grazz was hungry. So Grazz decided he would eat you. See that means your life is gone. You no longer own it. But if your tell Grazz info, then Grazz pay you with 1 life. Fair trade for all."

Drev squirmed but he told Grazz he did not know where the ship was but he knew that some of the crew had been spending a lot of money around town especially in brothels. Grazz was growing tired of this form and this talking. No one was dying. He dropped Drev to the floor, mumble something about enjoy the new life, and then got back to the ship as fast as he could. He opened the comms and relayed the info to @Death Otter. Once there he reverted back to his true form and laid down in the cargo hold to nap.

Persuasion d4!!: [5!!] = 5
Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
Lawrence Benson

Post by Lawrence Benson »

Lawrence adjusted his tux in the mirror. What he and Dee were doing was risky, but that was part of the fun. He didn't know what the gala they were attending was even for, but he knew it was put on by one of the military governors of some strategically important planet. He believed the governor was a Silhouette, but wasn't sure. Might have been a good idea to find that out before he bribed that Catyr fixer for the invitations.

At least Dee looked good--as usual. Hopefully she could keep heads on a swivel while he found out what they needed. He hated talking with anyone, especially these stuck imperialists, but at least it was free food and drinks.

One last look to make sure the tie was straight..."Dee, you ready?"

The Deevil sighed and rolled her eyes. She could change her appearance with a thought. Of course she was ready.

"Well don't say I don't take you anywhere."

--------------------------------------

These governors of the Kreeghor Empire really could throw a party. This job wasn't half bad. Lawrence and Dee mingled and chatted posing as a vid-star and her director here or a trust-fund heir and his fiancée there, it didn't matter as every cover story included them wanting to be part of the endless entourage to the Royal Family. Eventually they
Persuasion 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [4] = 4 Free Charismatic reroll 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 -1 =10 raise
out what they wanted and then some. Satisfied, they slipped out, Dee filling her purse with as many hors d'oeuvres that it would hold, with none the wiser.

OCC: Raise to Support
Lawrence
Bennies: 4/4
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (7)
Wounds 0/3
PPE: 21/35 +10 from Mystic Staff
Fatigue 0/2
Boon
Daniel (Lars)
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Boon »

Persuasion d8+1…
1d8!!+1: [3]+1 = 4 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Nah bro. Bennie.
B 1d8!!+1: [2]+1 = 3 B 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Meh.

Boon Stood outside the CCW Government Center. The Consortium had hundreds of thousands of employees here. As a former Consortium Armed Forces Commando Boon, real name retired Captain Mace Bo Ferric aka “Boondoggle” or just Boon technically had an ID card and could access limited areas of the massive center. Until now he had only once utilized the access to shop at a commissary and that had gone poorly. Some sap had recognized him and hassled him about being turned down by the Forge.

Now. Here he was. Sighing heavily he walked into the entryway guard gate and presented his ID.

Looking up from a metal desk the guard eyed the card (retinal scanning it) and grunted.

”Purpose of visit Captain Ferric…. You that Ferric?”

Bitting his lip Boon mentally retorted several foul responses than out loud stated: ”I need to visit my brother. Major Nash Ro Ferric.”

Frowning the guard just tapped on a holo keyboard then got a far away look in his eyes as he used his internal comms to call the GSA.

A moment later he said to Boon: ”Galactic Security Agency reception says no. You may not visit. However the Major will come out and talk to you here. Go wait in cell 6 until he arrives.”

Looking away from Boon he was obviously done talking to the former Captain.

———

Twenty minutes later Boons brother entered the cell detention and waiting room.

”This better be important Mace. What?”

Boon explained that he and a crew were trying to track down a bunch of pirates and stolen ships. He emphasized that the pirates were pretty nasty and the whole CCW would be better off if they were caught. Boon asked for help tracking them. Providing a transponder code and description of the stolen ship. GSA had nodes, trackers, and other ways of keeping their eyes on the coming and going of space travel.

His brother just looked at him for a moment.

”Look brother I don’t hate you but it’s super suspicious that the Forge turned you away. Why? Still don’t want to say huh. Fine. If you’d been accepted you would be a bonded deputy of the CCW as a Cosmo Knight. But. You’re just a exCAF commando selling your service to bounty hunters? If I find anything I’ll direct beam it. I gotta go.”

———

An hour later a small data pack arrived on Boons computer.

It was heavily redacted obviously and only had a little helpful information on last know locations on the stolen ship.

It was something at least. Boon gave the information to Death 0tter.

1 Success.
Accounts

Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Savage Rifts Player Characters
  • Niki NEMA Peacekeeper / Commando
    Adventures Inc. GM - Venatus Vinco
  • Mercer Mercenary Exiled RCSG
    Mercy Six GM - Pender Lumkiss
  • Boon Psychic & Mechanic
    Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
  • Blackfish Combat Mage / Ogre
    Tomorrow Legion 12th AAT GM - Snake Eyes
  • Player Account 6 Unlocked & Unused.
Vinghab

Post by Vinghab »

"Who in their right mind would steal Galied's ship? They might as well have starshot themselves and saved him the effort." Vinghab muses out loud (as he usually does - unspoken thoughts do not foster conversation). He swirls a drink in his hand as he mulls the location in his mind. "They either aren't in their right mind...or they don't know him. Wonder if we have some rookies trying to make a name?" He points a finger upward. "Ah! Yasha. He would know something." For the next hour or two, Vinghab sends a message to Yasha, a
crime lord
in that part of the Corkscrew.
Yasha's initial reaction was less than warm.
In his native language (which nobody else recognizes) the "merchant" berates Vinghab for a deal he had negotiated. Universal translators spit out the following snippets: "I can't believe you talked me into that. That creature destroyed my house!"
Vinghab shrugs. "Yasha, you asked for an animal that would convey your status. You didn't specify 'tame'! It put the fear of deities into your opposition in those discussions though! Which, I might add, I helped pave the way for."
Before long, Yasha's cold demeanor is

Support - Persuasion: 1d12!!+3: [8]+3 = 11
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!+3: [4]+3 = 7
with the appropriate reminders, compliments, and the occasional threat. "Yes, I'm sure Galied will give you a deal next time...as long as this helps! Thank you, Yasha. I'll see about a partial refund on that sickle-horned gack. YES, partial refund. You asked for that thing!" In exchange for a good word and an attempt at a refund, Yasha relays several contacts who have heard about new or desperate ship-thieves in the region.

Durian 9
WIP
Vinghab
Vinghab
Pace: 7; Parry: 2
Toughness: 19 (8)
Pertinent Edges: Charismatic, Elan, Hard to Kill, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Mentalist
Current Status Post
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: 2-01 No one said life would be dull

Post by Ndreare »

Player Clarity: You were not on Center, you are on the edge of Kregor space halfway across the Corkscrew Galaxy from Center.

The images @Death Otter pulled up initially and sent down with @Grazz was enough that he had something to work with. The Galaxy was a huge place and not everyone could know everyone. But @Grazz knew what it took to get people to admit when they did know something. Sometimes all it took was letting them live. As Drev pleaded for his life. “Wait please. I heard about a ship like this. Marked up as The Lady there was word it was being offered for sale. I don’t know who, but maybe you can look into Black Market types?” He offered as he begged for his life.

@Lawrence Benson’s events at the ball proved more than useful as word of The Lady went around. A few gossiping tidbits here and there. “Oh, The Lady, isn’t that the ship based on Machine People technology?” and “I heard Bren Forgefinder wanted that ship.” and other tidbits dropped. Usually without the people sharing the information even knowing they were doing so.

@Boon’s efforts did not yeld any information on the were abouts of the people who stole the ship or the people who wanted the ship. But what it did yield was information about the people who took the ship. This was no ragtag crew picking up on opportunity. This was the the crew of Retribution’s Fury. This team was skilled, made up of a team of former Splugorth arena slaves these guys liked to take real dangerous jobs, and took extra pleasure in leaving corpses behind them.

Yasha having been temporarily calmed shares some important information about who could be acting as a broker for a ship like The Lady. “Not a lot of people can afford a ship like that. The effort to rewrite its AI would be remarkable, and could get ten ships for the same price. Custom jobs like that in this sector..."[/b] he shakes his head knowing that @Vinghab would already know this means The Harrow and everyone would have to watch their back on any job that takes them there.

As @Death Otter works with all the information being shared with her and runs through the network of databases the problem was often an ocean of information and needing the right keys to home in on the correct information. But with the help of the crew she easily narrows down to exactly the information needed. It was as if no effort was being made to hide themselves from her. Well, no effort that could possibly matter.

The Lady was stolen by Retribution’s Fury on contract for delivery to a fence known as The Harrow. Once he has it, the word is Bren Forgefinder a dwarf from Asgard is lined up to purchase the ship, where he will figure out how it was made and start converting/creating more of the ships.

The Crew knows where the Harrow is, located on a network of Asteroids not too far from where you are know at the border of UWW and Kregor space. It is a pretty standard den of villainy right out of a holo-vid. However if Retribution’s Fury is still there then it could be a pretty dangerous fight. Those guys are some heavy hitters...

As you begin telling Galied this you can see his determination hardens. “Get me there before they sell my ship. I want vengeance on these nobodies who stole my ship! I will pay double if you can do it!” Well he may want vengeance, but it was only luck that had you here so soon and with a 16 standard hour lead on you, the Remorseless would have to break the laws of physics to get their first...

INSTRUCTIONS: Develop a plan, what are you going to do and how are you going to get there?
Getting there before Retribution's Fury would require piloting skills from out of this work, and a roll of 20.
However if you just head there and RP a little on the way no roll is needed. There may be other options, however. Lawrence Benson has the Dimensional Portal edge, which while risky could get you there at least a day before the ship arrives. Finding a Nexus and securing its use may be a little effort, but heh that is how life goes.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Sabrick_Vek
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Sabrick_Vek »

Sabrick is new to the crew, but goes into ops mode as soon as a plan is needed. But planning or thinking for that matter has never been his strongest skill set. Sabrick stating the obvious, while assuming there is no way they can get there in time.
“If we can’t get there faster then our only option is to find a way to make sure that any sell is delayed until we get there. Unfortunately, I am not the best when it comes to plans. Now the vengeance part I am more than capable of. Thievery like this must not go unpunished.”
He beams with pride in his ability to relate the obvious while feeling like he is contributing, while also bragging about his ability to mete out vengeance to these ruffians. He then waits for someone who can plan to actually give him a job.
Signature
Sabrick Vek, The Remorseless
Grudge Hagen, The Tomorrow Legion
Lawrence Benson

Post by Lawrence Benson »

Lawrence kicks his feat up on the table in the ops room and leans back. The chair he's in nearly tips over but rights itself at the last second. It is almost as if his shadow caught him and prevented him from falling over.

"You get me close to enough magical energy and I can get us there faster than a T'Zee amped up on Kreegorhian meth. But...New Guy has a good point. Thievery should not go unpunished, and the best way to punish it is by stealing what is stolen. All we need to do is get close, no need to engage. I can teleport a team onto the Lady. The Retribution's crew will be split between the two ships, likely with a skeleton crew piloting the Lady.
We just need to overwhelm them and make a break for it. The question is who can fly a ship other than Death Otter."
Lawrence
Bennies: 4/4
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (7)
Wounds 0/3
PPE: 21/35 +10 from Mystic Staff
Fatigue 0/2
Vinghab

Post by Vinghab »

Vinghab raises his hand in response to @Lawrence Benson's question. "I mean, I've never taken lessons. But I've seen enough pilots, not to mention our own esteemed @Death Otter, do what they do in order to pick up enough to be dangerous. Get me on the ship and I can make it work."
He
Common Knowledge: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
WD Common Knowledge: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny CK: 1d6!!+2: [14!!]+2 = 16
WD Benny CK: 1d6!!+2: [10!!]+2 = 12
to think of any nearby nexuses that may serve Lawrence's needs. As he ponders, a smile breaks across his face as Galied's temper begins to boil over. "Double, you say? Oh, I'm sure we can find a way to make that happen, my good friend. You leave it to us." He moves towards the computer to pore through some of the nav charts to confirm his recollections. "I think I know just the place..."
Vinghab
Vinghab
Pace: 7; Parry: 2
Toughness: 19 (8)
Pertinent Edges: Charismatic, Elan, Hard to Kill, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Mentalist
Current Status Post
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

As @Vinghab thinks on it he realizes, that most nexus in space would be claimed by others and lead up to a fight that could damage the Remorseless more than the spoils would make up for.

Last time the crew was in this system they had to land on the desert planet, and he recalled there were visable ley lines. Which was nice for a planet with no intelligent life. A short 4 hours trip and 1 hour to land would get the team to the nexus and allow the @Lawrence Benson to work his special talents.

Asuming the team chooses that option...
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades