2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4457
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Ndreare »

1d54: [24] = 24 = Spade


The smoothness of the Remorseless mercenaries as they completed the maneuvers, timing perfectly with the opening of the rift was something no one would believe. Teleporting onto a moving starship as it flew through a Rift within a planetary atmosphere was something of legends. Only the video logs could ever prove what happened and even then, there would be doubters for certain.

Now it is time to go see The Harrow...

Getting off the planet was pretty simple for Death Otter compared to the strain she had just put the ship through. As they left the planet and the ship’s sensors began calibrating to the new location she saw they were only a couple hours from the Duleer Asteroid Field where The Harrow was known to operate. She was known to operate on a UWW super dreadnought that had broken down a century ago. No longer able to move under its own power, it was abandoned for scrapping before being stolen by the Harrow.

The mercenaries confer with one another on if the better tactic would be to monitor the system around the asteroid field or if they should land and try to make contact with The Harrow themselves. While conferring the ship's approache came within sensor range of the former UWW giant.


INSTRUCTIONS: Plan on you approach to the problem, are you going to land and work with The Harrow and her crew on the dreadnaught, are you going to patrol the system and attack when she ship comes, or are you going to do something else?

Galied is excited seeing you all arrive so much faster than Retribution's Fury and it shows. Any discussion of attacking his ship will have him arguing against it. He is too smart to threaten with Sabreck and Grazz on board, but you can tell the idea of damaging the ship he needs to recover does anger him.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Death Otter
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Death Otter »

"Cool your ROCKETS, Galied!" Death Otter snapped. "No one's going to hurt your baby."

She whirled around and paced down the length of the crew lounge, where the tables and chairs had been moved to form a kind of conference table. Activating her holocom, she projected an image of the Harrow belt, with the former dreadnought-turned-space-station centered in it.

"We have a couple of options. First, we can send the shuttle to dock with The Harrow and lay some groundwork. We'd need to try to do some social engineering to slow down any deals they try to make and buy time for the ground team to break onto the ship, overcome whoever they leave guarding it, and steal it. The big risk here, aside from dealing with whoever's on board, is that they'll probably be on comms the second they get in-system, trying to get a buyer lined up. They know they have a lead on us, but they don't know how big a lead...so they won't take CHANCES."

"If they GET a buyer before we steal the ship, then we're technically stealing it from the BUYER, not THEM. And depending on who the buyer IS...that could have consequences."

The projection rotated, and a sphere appeared superimposed over the asteroid belt, encompassing, but not centered on, the space station.

"Option two...we don't dock. We go silent, stealth cranked to maximum and we wait. The circle there is the Arvot Limit; the boundary where the belt's center of mass is dense enough that a jump drive will dump a ship out automatically. We don't know EXACTLY where they'll come out, but it won't be inside that limit. Also, they're coming from the direction of the last point of call..."

The map shaded then, a large portion of it greying out slightly, leaving a clear wedge shape open.

"...so they'll most likely come out somewhere in that arc. Narrowed down to that stage, we can probably pounce on them within minutes of their arrival. Jam their comms and sensors, and send the shuttle out with a boarding party. Take them in deep space, where the Harrow won't care what we do, and before they get a buyer who'll come after us if we take it. The risk here is that they'll see us too soon, or they'll penetrate the jamming, and suddenly we have a battle in space where we're not allowed to damage them too much, but they have no limits. ALSO, boarding will be harder, because they'll ALL be there, instead of just SOME of them."

"So, my proud herd of cats...thoughts?"
User avatar
Sabrick_Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Sabrick_Vek »

Death Otter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am "Cool your ROCKETS, Galied!" Death Otter snapped. "No one's going to hurt your baby."

She whirled around and paced down the length of the crew lounge, where the tables and chairs had been moved to form a kind of conference table. Activating her holocom, she projected an image of the Harrow belt, with the former dreadnought-turned-space-station centered in it.

"We have a couple of options. First, we can send the shuttle to dock with The Harrow and lay some groundwork. We'd need to try to do some social engineering to slow down any deals they try to make and buy time for the ground team to break onto the ship, overcome whoever they leave guarding it, and steal it. The big risk here, aside from dealing with whoever's on board, is that they'll probably be on comms the second they get in-system, trying to get a buyer lined up. They know they have a lead on us, but they don't know how big a lead...so they won't take CHANCES."

"If they GET a buyer before we steal the ship, then we're technically stealing it from the BUYER, not THEM. And depending on who the buyer IS...that could have consequences."

The projection rotated, and a sphere appeared superimposed over the asteroid belt, encompassing, but not centered on, the space station.

"Option two...we don't dock. We go silent, stealth cranked to maximum and we wait. The circle there is the Arvot Limit; the boundary where the belt's center of mass is dense enough that a jump drive will dump a ship out automatically. We don't know EXACTLY where they'll come out, but it won't be inside that limit. Also, they're coming from the direction of the last point of call..."

The map shaded then, a large portion of it greying out slightly, leaving a clear wedge shape open.

"...so they'll most likely come out somewhere in that arc. Narrowed down to that stage, we can probably pounce on them within minutes of their arrival. Jam their comms and sensors, and send the shuttle out with a boarding party. Take them in deep space, where the Harrow won't care what we do, and before they get a buyer who'll come after us if we take it. The risk here is that they'll see us too soon, or they'll penetrate the jamming, and suddenly we have a battle in space where we're not allowed to damage them too much, but they have no limits. ALSO, boarding will be harder, because they'll ALL be there, instead of just SOME of them."

"So, my proud herd of cats...thoughts?"
"Knowing who their buyer is would be helpful. If we can find out who, how, when and where of the plan to purchase, we could send a fake transmission asking the buyer to postpone or meet elsewhere and pose as the buyer. If that is not an option I am more than willing to board and introduce them to my Blade and Shield." Sabrik uses his thumb to point at the items on his back. "But definitely would rather anger the miscreant thieves than I would the buyer, because they, may be a big player and therefore a bigger headache."
User avatar
Vinghab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Vinghab »

Vinghab grins. "Social engineering I can do. Play at being a buyer, mimic their contacts if I'm close enough to read their minds, even...strongly encourage returning the property to its rightful owner in exchange for good will and not being dead." He shrugs. "It might come to violence anyway, but it would be on our terms."
He thinks a moment, then offers another suggestion. "I wonder if I could pull off an imitation of The Harrow. Maybe convince them I don't like the deal anymore and they should return the thing before payback lands. That might give us enough pause to board the ship and remove the thieves."
Vinghab
Vinghab
Pace: 7; Parry: 2
Toughness: 19 (8)
Pertinent Edges: Charismatic, Elan, Hard to Kill, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Mentalist
Current Status Post
User avatar
Lawrence Benson
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Lawrence Benson »

Lawrence leans back in one of the chairs in the lounge and laces his fingers behind his head. Again, the chair is dangerously close to tipping over and for a moment it looks like the shifter is starting to doze off during the discussion. Almost sensing the point where Death Otter will lose patience with him, he rocks the chair back forward onto the deck.

"The best time to make our move is the time we have the most control over. We need to dictate the time of the buy, the place of the buy, and the terms of the buy. We do this by being the buyer. Vinghab is on to it. We pose as the interested party and set up the deal. A few of us go in posing as buyers, probably those of us used to such delicate negotiations. The rest, well, maybe you misunderstood and assume the deal has already concluded. You cannot be faulted for defending and taking what is obviously our property ...or at least you assume will be.

And if something like that were to happen, it would put such a damper on negotiations. I mean, we cannot be expected to discuss in good faith without the property present, now can we? Of course we will understand and accept their apology for the inconvenience, but there is no sense in wasting anymore of each other's time..."
Lawrence
Bennies: 1/4
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (7)
Wounds 0/3
PPE: 35/35 +10 from Mystic Staff
Fatigue 0/2
User avatar
Grazz
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Grazz »

"Maybe if Grazz starts eating people, the people will give the ship back. Otter knows Grazz is hungry since Otter won't let Grazz eat rookie."
User avatar
Sabrick_Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: 2-02 Meeting The Harrow or Watching for Retribution

Post by Sabrick_Vek »

Grazz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm "Maybe if Grazz starts eating people, the people will give the ship back. Otter knows Grazz is hungry since Otter won't let Grazz eat rookie."
“I would think that I had some say in that as well, Dragon. We have a plan, but Captain, it’s your call. I will go and do what you tell me, and if they will not return the ship or turn it over to us, they will break upon my shield.”
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World On the Job”