Possible Rules Tweak - Initiative

GM: Greywolf

Would we all be happy with a rules tweak as described?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:33 am

Yes, I think it adds to the atmosphere of the game.
43%
Yes but I'm concerned about game balance.
No votes
No, I don't feel it adds to the setting.
No votes
No, I feel uncomfortable about the use of Tarot cards.
No votes
Don't Know/Don't mind
57%

Total votes: 7

Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Possible Rules Tweak - Initiative

Post by Greywolf »

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

Just been having a think about things to make our game a little more unique. One device I've used before is the replacement of familiar gaming paraphernalia with something slightly more in keeping with the setting. I'd like to propose a change to the traditional Action Deck. In this case I'd like to propose that we use a Tarot Deck for initiative rather than a normal deck of cards.

Here are the specifics. . .
  • The Deck will consist of the standard minor arcana suits Wands, Swords, and Stones and Cups, ranked in that order.
  • The deck will be numbered from Ace (low) up to Father (High).
  • There are four court cards ranked thus, Son, Daughter, Mother Father
  • There will be two Major Arcana Cards in the deck at the start of your Freshman year
    • The Fool - The drawing player gets the traditional +2 on all actions, plus a benny if they act impulsively or on instinct.
    • The Wheel of Fortune - drawing player gets +2 on all actions for the round, plus a benny if they act decisively to take control of the situation.
      Both extra benny results at the GM's discretion.
  • To reflect the growing supernatural potential at ETU, at the end of each semester I will add another pair of Major Arcana cards to the pool. Each will have a different significance to the player drawing them, some good, some bad. This will lead to somewhat more "swingy" results as the player get closer to their goals, and the spirit world takes greater notice of them.
In game terms it's something like 0.2% less likely to draw a "Joker" in you first Semester due to the extra court cards, but after that the chances of a "Joker", positive or negative will be increased.

Hopefully this will be an interesting rules variant for all of us as the benefits/penalties will apply equally to the opposition. :)
Greywolf

GM - East Texas University
Player Accounts
Lysennia Moonsinger - Shaintar
Temperance - Shattered Dreams

Return to “East Texas University”