Mantle of the Adrastian

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Mantle of the Adrastian

Post by Antipas »

Mantle of the Adrastian:(Signature Item) The rune like tattoos that cover the shoulders of and scroll around the more traditional Atlantean tattoos born by the undead slayer Antipas Komnenos are not merely decorative flair but are in fact a blessing from the goddess Nemesis. This blessing declares the bearer to be an Adrastian, an implacable weapon in the war against evil and a being of personal interest to the fates. Destined for both glory and tragedy befitting the epics of old. The mantle protects the bearer from hash climes and reinforces their spirit against the trials that they will face as well as bending fate in their favor and heaping calamity on their foes. Unfortunately such a blessing is not without it's drawbacks, being so closely tied to a deity opens them up to attacks that target divine beings.

Abilities: +4 to rolls Vs cold or heat. +2 to Spirit tests. Gain the Elan edge. Gain Lucky edge. It also makes the bearer a supernaturally good being so Attacks dealing bonus damage to supernatural or good/holy targets deal +4 damage, if they are already susceptible to such attacks this weakness will stack. Additionally the tattoo must not be covered in a way that would make a traditional magic tattoo unusable.
Value: 62,000 Credits (2,000 base, 10,000 for 2 minor mods, 25,000 for edge, 25,000 for edge)

Base Item:
This advanced variant of all-weather gear is a waterproof cloak, poncho, or duster with a series of layers designed to dissipate or retain heat depending on the environment. The wearer adds a +4 bonus to rolls versus Cold or Heat (2 lb., 2,000 credits).

Notes: This is an enchanted item trapped as a tattoo. I added the hinderance to balance out the bonus of the item being a faux tattoo.
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Mantle of the Adrastian

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am not 100% sure about jinx, I feel I will forget all the time. I am also not wild about how this will play out in a pbp setting. Lots of potential editing. Did I mention, I will forget this.

Mostly this is a me thing. Not a you thing. Don’t get me wrong, its pretty cool.

What about when enemies crit fail against the character with this tatoo, with tech they roll twice for TDs, keeping the higher of the two rolls? Magic users casting a spell roll that targets the character(on a crit failure) inked with this tatoo roll on the dynamic backlash table when crit failing? I feel it will be easier to manage this. It might not be every situation or every extra but when it applies it could be pretty awesome.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:06 pm I am not 100% sure about jinx, I feel I will forget all the time. I am also not wild about how this will play out in a pbp setting. Lots of potential editing. Did I mention, I will forget this.

Mostly this is a me thing. Not a you thing. Don’t get me wrong, its pretty cool.

What about when enemies crit fail against the character with this tatoo, with tech they roll twice for TDs, keeping the higher of the two rolls? Magic users casting a spell roll that targets the character(on a crit failure) inked with this tatoo roll on the dynamic backlash table when crit failing? I feel it will be easier to manage this. It might not be every situation or every extra but when it applies it could be pretty awesome.
If that's how you'd prefer. I was trying to somewhat emulate the ability he had from your legendary tables. :) If you'd prefer I can go with an edge or some more standard thing.

I take it you're ok with it being a (mostly) unremoveable item and giving a weakness?
GM bennies

Characters Imperator (GM account)Action Stan, Antipas, Xiang,
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Mantel of the Adrastian

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Just make sure it is on a limb that is removable 😃
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I think the legendary tables are gone and not coming back. I do wonder if there is an edge that can work here. Or perhaps use lower trait.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

A small update. Based on our conversation. Take the Lower Trait Power with a custom power mod, Jinx (+1): Any extra affected can now critical fail against the caster.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:59 pm A small update. Based on our conversation. Take the Lower Trait Power with a custom power mod, Jinx (+1): Any extra affected can now critical fail against the caster.
As per our continued discussion it now gives Lucky.
GM bennies

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I do not have any issues with this.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Hum, Perhaps this should be treated like a major modification in itself?

This has come up before. I kind of feel like having a signature item trapped as a tattoo removes the main weaknesses of a signature item GMs use, which is removing gear from players. I think just about every GM has done this is their games that I have played in, and I have done it is I think all of them except Nightbane at some point.

I have been denied them one myself even as signature item. But I know some GMs have allowed cyberware, so perhaps it is a GM by GM thing.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Ndreare wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 pm Hum, Perhaps this should be treated like a major modification in itself?

This has come up before. I kind of feel like having a signature item trapped as a tattoo removes the main weaknesses of a signature item GMs use, which is removing gear from players. I think just about every GM has done this is their games that I have played in, and I have done it is I think all of them except Nightbane at some point.

I have been denied them one myself even as signature item. But I know some GMs have allowed cyberware, so perhaps it is a GM by GM thing.
Also, since it's a tattoo, it evades Technical Difficulties that the cloak would suffer from.

I do think the drawback is significant, possibly enough so that it balances out the advantages listed--PROVIDED it stacks with itself. That is to say, if put on a character with a race/IF that has the same "Supernaturally Good" drawbacks, then the bonus to damage is doubled, and attempts at detection with Notice by appropriate characters are at +2.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Freemage wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:04 pm
Ndreare wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 pm Hum, Perhaps this should be treated like a major modification in itself?

Also, since it's a tattoo, it evades Technical Difficulties that the cloak would suffer from.

I do think the drawback is significant, possibly enough so that it balances out the advantages listed--PROVIDED it stacks with itself. That is to say, if put on a character with a race/IF that has the same "Supernaturally Good" drawbacks, then the bonus to damage is doubled, and attempts at detection with Notice by appropriate characters are at +2.
Would a temp cloak ever have a TD roll? You don't roll anything for it it just adds to environmental resistance rolls.
GM bennies

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I think the TD in this case would apply to its bonus when rolling vs environmental factors and in this particular case would provide a negative to any roll using elan. I have asked the player to choose a limb for placement so that if I shoot off an arm/leg it would be effectivly taken away. Or the limb could be restrained in some manner. Heck the tattoo could even be covered against the players will. But this is effectivly an enchanted item. Do those even get TDs?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I think enchanted items suffer backlash (Fatigue) as if activating a power instead.

Perhaps it would work like the tattoos made for atlanteans and only work when exposed so it can be touched. So for example if the mantel was concealed it would lose its power. This would allow the player full control over the power, but not be screwy.

Honestly the item is not game breaking powerful so I am not arguing against the idea, so much as saying "How are we looking at and considering this in the big picture".

After all I would not mind a tattoo or other magical enhancement on a character or two myself. The new shiny is always the best shiny.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

PS: I would note when I first read it and considered the drawing I thought the Mantel was the cloak in the art being depicted. That could be cool as well, but I would like this tattoo option figured out, because other players will want this as well. It is just cool.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Antipas »

Ndreare wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 am PS: I would note when I first read it and considered the drawing I thought the Mantel was the cloak in the art being depicted. That could be cool as well, but I would like this tattoo option figured out, because other players will want this as well. It is just cool.
As of now the tattoo in question is the tracery on this pics neck and the sides of his face, I envision it continuing over much of his body forming a scrollwork around his other tattoos.
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

I think the tattoo magic requirements seem fair and reasonable. While I'd not spelled it out that was kind of the intent. This isn't an Item I would have made were it not an Undead Slayer.

But I suppose Rob is right that it's a formula someone else may try without already playing with that restriction so stating so should be done. And I really should declare a "central point" for it per Jon's request. I honestly thought he was Pendering me with the limb threats.

Also including weakness stacking so someone with it already doesn't get a freebee
GM bennies

Imperator

Post by Imperator »

@Pender Lumkiss Would something like this acceptable for a location.
Mantle example.jpg
Mantle example.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
That would be the actual Mantle the traceries are just flair
GM bennies

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Cool,
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Also,

I am just going to chime in now and say no to using negatives (like hindrances) to add more upgrade slots. It's just not in the rules and I am uncomfortable breaking them right out of the gate.

To help make this work I can see glows in the presence of evil as a trapping or minor slot (losing the benefits of danger sense).

VV
This was over a year ago, but I assume it still applies? If not, I'm all for it. Go ham. I don't have a problem with a "tattoo," and I was actually tossing the idea around for a piece of TW cyberware. So I hope yours gets approved :p.

I do have a question about Luck: In the past it was ruled as not applicable to TW items. Has this since changed, or is it a silly ruling that we don't agree with around these parts? Or is it because a magic weapon technically is always on that it is ok, whereas it is still not ok on TW items?
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

I'm not using the hindrance to add slots but to offset it being a tattoo and thus difficult to counter. A fine distinction that I'm apparently pushing the limits of... we'll see but this item was oked in swd days and was actually more powerful as it used super tech rules.

I think the issue with TW items and some edges was them being activated as opposed to always on and thus applying more than once per session. Would you get said benny every time you turn it on being the problem to be avoided.
GM bennies

Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

Rob more or less said the same thing about the edges and magic items. It makes sense to me.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

If this sig item makes you happy it makes me happy.
One thing. Is the +2 to spirit all the time or only appropriate to the item itself?

Perhaps it is only when using elan or lucky benny

I would approve it with caveat.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

when it's elaning is pretty limited. The point of the Blessing it to aid the bearer against things regular tattoos don't cover. Would opposed spirit rolls or those to shake powers be acceptable?
GM bennies

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

+2 to spirit rolls when resisting powers.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Groovy
GM bennies

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

A P P R O V E D
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I was wondering if the weakness should be this?

Weakness (Supernatural Evil): The wearer of the mantel is vulnerable to attacks and weapons wielded by those who are considered Super Natural evil opponents, such as those with a weakness to holy, divine, or good. Demons and Murderwraiths and those arcane users who follow any kind of “path of darkness” spiritually fall into this category. Such attacks inflict +4 damage.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Item Creation”