Signature Item for John Carter - Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Signature Item for John Carter - Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant

Post by John Carter »

A creation of the CAN Republic, the lunar colony shared this military technology with the other space nations that were now their allies in the current war against the Arkhons. Appearing to be an ordinary Multi-Optics Helmet, in reality it contains a sophisticated neural intelligence with an array of advanced sensors at its disposal. As a Tactical Assistant, TADAA keeps its user appraised of the location and activities of enemies and friendlies in his vicinity, as well as providing targeting aid and helping with repairs and medical aid in the field. In the sphere of Data Acquisition TADAA is highly effective at infiltrating and retrieving information from enemy computer systems its user interfaces it with. It also is competent at social interaction skills in order to assist in prisoner interrogation.

Shortly after John contacted his superiors after his crash on Earth, his TADAA unit (which he calls TAD for short) received an update of data that Command thought would be useful while on the planet, including academic and scientific knowledge. A similar update provided TADAA with conversational Spanish capability after a report from John indicated he'd be traveling to a portion of the planet where it's the common language.

TADAA - Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant
Original Item: Mutli-Optics Helmet

Major: Sidekick (Super Powers Companion version, page 11 of SPC) - This version of Sidekick only has a Rank requirement of Veteran, which enables it to be picked as a Major upgrade under the guidelines for creating Signature Items. As for the Super Powers the Sidekick will have, the majority will not provide new abilities so much as enable it to enjoy the benefits of John's powers the way any of his stuff does.

Basically, according to Intangibility's description, beings carried by the character when they become intangible are dropped. The powers bought will enable TADAA to be taken along and enjoy the same benefits the rest of John's gear does when he becomes intangible. Note that Invisibility does not have that condition, so TADAA can become invisible like the rest of John's gear when he does despite being a sapient being. The leftover Super Power points were spent on the most passive powers available that would not be a factor most of the time.
TAD
Character Name TAD

Advances Left:
Race: Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant
Iconic Framework: Intelligent Construct
Attributes:
  • Agility -
  • Smarts d8
  • Spirit d8
  • Strength -
  • Vigor d8
Pace: 0; Parry: 0; Toughness: 18 (8); Strain: 0
Framework: Intelligent Construct
Construct trait: +2 to recover from Shaken, ignore 1 Wound Penalty, doesn't breathe, immune to disease/poison, wounds healed via Repair, no Golden Hour.

Inorganic: Cannot use cyberware

Outsider (Major): A construct that is recognized as such is generally viewed as property, with no legal protections or rights in most communities. -2 Persuasion

Core Directive: A Major psychological hindrance that reflects the intended purpose of the machine.

Wanted: Many powerful factions will hunt for a known intelligent construct in their territory, either to eliminate or to capture and reverse-engineer

Malfunctions: Constructs are subject to Technical Difficulties

Cognito, Ergo Sum - Artificial Intelligence (-2)

Technology Base - Technological System (-2)

Frame - Small Frame (-2)

Base Locomotion - None (-2)

Sensory System - Advanced Senses (+2)

Appearance - Lifelike Appearance (Looks Indistinguishable From Ordinary Multi-Optics Helmet) (+0)

Vocal Unit - Advanced Vocal Unit (+1)

Optional Complications - Obscure Construction (-3), Feature Locked Physiology (-4)

Armor (+1)

Automated Repair Unit (+2)

Smarts d8 (+3)

Spirit d8 (+3)

Vigor d8 (+3)

Electronics Package (+2)

Academics d6 & Common Knowledge d6(+2)

Notice d8 & Research d8 (+3)

Hacking d8 & Healing d8 (+3)

Language (American) d8 & Language Arkhon d8 (+3)

Language (Spanish) d6 & Science d6 (+2)

Performance d4 & Taunt d4 (+1)

Electronics d6 & Repair d6 (+2)

Intimidation d4 & Persuasion d4 (+1)

Sensor Range Upgrade (+1)

Skill Bonus - Healing (+1)

Skill Bonus - Repair (+1)

Solar Collector (+1)

Synthetic Immortality Edge (+1)

Skills:
  • Academics d6
  • Common Knowledge d6+2
  • Electronics d6
  • Hacking d8+4
  • Healing d8+2
  • Intimidation d6
  • Language (American) d8
  • Language (Arkhon) d8
  • Language (Spanish) d6 (Deleted in the From the Gates of Hell timeline to make room for Occult)
  • Notice d8+4*
  • Occult d6 (Only in the From the Gates of Hell timeline)
  • Performance d4
  • Persuasion d6
  • Repair d6+4
  • Research d8+2
  • Science d6
  • Taunt d4
*Ignores up to 4 points of Range penalties due to Sensor Range Upgrade

Hindrances
  • Core Directive: Vow (IF Major): To the CAN Republic
  • Loyal (Minor)
  • Outsider (IF Major)
  • Quirk (Minor): Since arriving on Earth Tad has developed a fascination with the occult and supernatural, which they don't have back home (psionics is familiar and considered paranormal). He pesters John to ask magicians and miracle workers about their practices, find books on the subject (and turn the pages for him) and observe such phenomena whenever possible.
  • Secret (Major): Product Of A Human Civilization On The Moon.
  • Wanted (IF Major)
Edges and Iconic Abilities
  • Reliable : Free reroll when making Support rolls.
  • Synthetic Immortality : If Incapacitated from Bleeding Out or "death" can still be repaired if core backup system structures intact.
  • Advanced Senses (IF Option): The Construct has improved audio and visual senses. In addition to the improved sensory capabilities it has advanced senses such as thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, and so on, giving it 360-degree awareness ignoring Illumination penalties and conferring a +4 bonus to Notice rolls. It can record its sensory feeds (audio, visual, etc.).
  • Lifelike Appearance (IF Option): Without careful examination by a skilled investigator with advanced equipment, it is impossible to determine the Construct is not an ordinary Muti-Optics Helmet.
  • Advanced Vocal Unit (IF Option): The Construct can fully communicate through the sounds of most other races and can even speak at sound levels audible to only bats, Dog Boys, Combat Cyborgs, and other beings capable of hearing frequencies above or below human range. It can imitate a wide variety of races and sounds. Even suspicious opponents are -4 on Notice checks to discover the artificial nature of the audio. This system also grants +2 on rolls to imitate specific voices (must have heard target's vocalizations).
  • Automated Repair Unit (IF Feature): Make a Vigor roll as a free action once per day to attempt to heal a Wound, gains +4 on rolls to resist "Bleeding Out."
  • Electronics Package (IF Feature): Possesses a 20-mile range communications system, a sub-computer for data storage, and a Rifts Earth-compatible interface jack which can plug into electronic systems. Resulting bonuses already applied to skills above.
  • Sensor Range Upgrade (IF Feature): The Construct may ignore up to 4 points of Range penalties.
  • Solar Collector (IF Feature): Instead of drawing on another source of power, the Construct may passively recharge while exposed to sunlight for two hours to meet its regular power needs.
Powers

Super Powers
Super Power Points: 10
  • Intangible [Limitation: Only To Become Intangible When John Does (-2)] (Cost 3) Become incorporeal but still affected by the Energy Power Type. (Super Powers Companion, page 68)
  • Environmental Resistance to Electricity, Fire, Light, Radiation [3 Additional Power Types (+3), Immunity (+2), Limitation: Only When Incorporeal (-2)] (Cost 4) Hero is immune to damage and effects from resisted Power Types. (Super Powers Companion, page 61)
  • Fearless (Cost 2) The hero is completely immune to Fear checks. (Super Powers Companion, page 62)
  • Mind Shield (Cost 3) -2 to use mind reading or mind control on this hero. (Super Powers Companion, page 76)

Advances

Advances
  • Initial Advances: (Bonus from Hindrances): Raise Intimidation 1d, Raise Persuasion 1d, Reliable
  • Edge(s) granted by Racial Features: Synthetic Immortality Feature Purchased
Major: Improved Dodge - The enhanced situational awareness provided by TADAA's advanced sensors enables John to better evade explosions and other area attacks.

Minor (x2): +2 Parry - The enhanced situational awareness provided by TADAA's advanced sensors enables John to better defend himself against attackers in melee situations.

Super Tech Item (Base: Multi-Optics Helmet) - 25,000 credits
Major: Sidekick (Super Powers Companion version, page 11 of SPC) - 25,000 credits
Major: Improved Dodge - 25,000 credits
Minor: +1 to Parry - 5,000 credits
Minor: +1 to Parry - 5,000 credits

Total: 85,000 credits
Last edited by John Carter on Sun May 29, 2022 2:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
John Carter
John Carter

Bennies: 3/3 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 0

Jack-Of-All-Trades Skill: Driving d4
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Signature Item for John Carter - Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant

Post by Ndreare »

While I am not opposed to it myself, you should know the side kick edge and followers' edge have been banned by most GMs for signature items. (I know this as I have had them rejected myself twice.)

Usually players who want them take the actual edge at creation and then build the character using the normal rules.

So you will want to tag your GM and see if he is okay with this as a device.

Having said that...

I would allow an AI, and I think it is a cool idea. But as the SPC templates are still in playtest/draft I would have you build the AI without them using a normal Iconic Framework.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Signature Item for John Carter - Tactical Analysis & Data Acquisition Assistant

Post by John Carter »

Ndreare wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:35 pm While I am not opposed to it myself, you should know the side kick edge and followers' edge have been banned by most GMs for signature items. (I know this as I have had them rejected myself twice.)
Did not know that. Well, it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Usually players who want them take the actual edge at creation and then build the character using the normal rules.

So you will want to tag your GM and see if he is okay with this as a device.
Will do

@Technospawn - Would this signature item be okay for the Lost Jungle game?
Having said that...

I would allow an AI, and I think it is a cool idea. But as the SPC templates are still in playtest/draft I would have you build the AI without them using a normal Iconic Framework.
I basically built it as a normal Construct Iconic Framework and then added 10 points of Super Powers because that’s what the SPC version of Sidekick specified (giving the Sidekick your Power Limit in Powers, not the IF part). But if I need to drop the powers to have it okayed I could live with that if it was ruled that it didn’t count as a being when John becomes intangible due to shutting down when he does so, thus enabling him to treat it like the rest of his gear and not have to drop it.
John Carter
John Carter

John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by John Carter »

Thought I’d offer up an alternate Signature Item for John if TADAA above ends up being rejected. This doesn’t mean I’m withdrawing TADAA from consideration. Just came up with this idea and thought I’d submit it for approval just in case.

Sensory Augmentation & Risk Analysis Helmet (SARAH)

This piece of Freedom Defense Force special ops gear is an upgrade to a standard Multi-Optics Helmet that not only provides increased visual acuity compared to a standard helmet but also enhanced hearing capability thanks to an embedded microphone array and audio processor unit that renders faint sounds audible while canceling out excess ambient noise that would otherwise drown other sounds out or render them unintelligible.

The real prime feature of SARAH though is a dedicated micro-computer loaded with sophisticated risk analysis software. The computer gathers data from the helmet’s visual and audio feeds, local radio activity and even the wearer’s reactions to stimuli through sensors which monitor brain activity and other vital signs.

It then analyzes all this data, utilizing advanced pattern recognition, behavioral evaluation and threat assessment algorithms. This enables it to compile an accurate simulation of the wearer’s current circumstances and calculate the probabilities of potential events in the immediate future, allowing it to alert its wearer to imminent danger enough time in advance for them to be ready for it, and to possibly even react beforehand.

Super Tech Item (Base: Multi-Optics Helmet) - 25,000 credits
Major: Danger Sense - 25,000 credits
Major: Sixth Sense - 25,000 credits
Minor: +1 to Notice - 5,000 credits
Minor: +1 to Notice - 5,000 credits

Total: 85,000 credits
Last edited by John Carter on Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Carter
John Carter

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

John Carter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:45 pm Thought I’d offer up an alternate Signature Item for John if TADAA above ends up being rejected. This doesn’t mean I’m withdrawing TADAA from consideration. Just came up with this idea and thought I’d submit it for approval just in case.

Sensory Augmentation & Risk Analysis Helmet (SARAH)

This piece of Freedom Defense Force special ops gear is an upgrade to a standard Multi-Optics Helmet that not only provides increased visual acuity compared to a standard helmet but also enhanced hearing capability thanks to an embedded microphone array and audio processor unit that renders faint sounds audible while canceling out excess ambient noise that would otherwise drown other sounds out or render them unintelligible.

The real prime feature of SARAH though is a dedicated micro-computer loaded with sophisticated risk analysis software. The computer gathers data from the helmet’s visual and audio feeds, local radio activity and even the wearer’s reactions to stimuli through sensors which monitor brain activity and other vital signs.

It then analyzes all this data, utilizing advanced pattern recognition, behavioral evaluation and threat assessment algorithms. This enables it to compile an accurate simulation of the wearer’s current circumstances and calculate the probabilities of potential events in the immediate future, allowing it to alert its wearer to imminent danger enough time in advance for them to be ready for it, and to possibly even react beforehand.

Major: Danger Sense
Major: Sixth Sense
Minor: +1 to Notice
Minor: +1 to Notice
Looks good, and I like the story. Consider adding proces.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by John Carter »

Ndreare wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am Looks good, and I like the story. Consider adding proces.
Glad you liked it. Not clear what you mean in your last sentence though.
John Carter
John Carter

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Consider adding prices
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by John Carter »

Ndreare wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:35 pm Consider adding prices
Added price breakdown to writeup.
John Carter
John Carter

Return to “Item Creation”