Outrider's Silver Claws

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Outrider's Silver Claws

Post by Snake Eyes »

Base Item: Vibro-Vambraces
Minor (x2): Add +1 to parry and Silver (+5K each)
Major: Add Extraction (+25K and -1 Availability)
Major: Add Counterattack (+25K and -2 Availability)

Outrider's Vibro-Vambraces
Designed to allow for both devastating counterattacks and ease of withdrawal, these claws feature a retractable extension mode that allow for surprising reach in combat, but do not markedly change the balance and normal use due to it being more of a momentary burst of length, rather than being long all the time.
  • • Damage: Str+2d4, AP 10, Silver
    • Weight: 2 (Min Str d6)
    • Grants the wearer the Extraction and Counterattack Edges
    • Notes: Parry +2 (must be worn as a pair for the bonus). Count as Claws. Harmonic Blades, MD, Powered Weapons
    • Rarity: -5 Cost: 71,000
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Outrider's Silver Vambraces

Post by High Command »

One FIWS as a base item is fine; Two is a separate piece of gear.

Full stats including a price based on the upper end of what the original FIWS sold for (price in Heroes of Humanity p. 128). Weight pulled from Heroes of Humanity p. 127). If either get revised in a future book, we'll revise it then.

CAJ-5 FIWS
• Plasma Blaster (Range 12/24/48, 3d12+3 Mega Damage, RoF 1, Shots 10, It Burns)
• Vibro-Tri-Claw (Str+3d4, AP 6, +1 Parry, Claws)
• Min Str d12+1 (15 lbs)
• Cost 50,000 credits. Not Available on the Black Market

Sorry for increasing the min str, but looking at similar items, it needs to be at least d12+1. Again, Brawny and Soldier can reduce this, as normal, as can a minor Mod. The equivalent weight is the Giant two handed Vibro-Sword. But that's also large by design. While the FIWS is oversized, its meant to be used by Juicers; The one in the book has a d12 strength and Brawny. While you can only infer so much from a NPC listing, even in PR it was heavy and unwieldy. I've used them for borgs and power armor plenty.

If you want to go back to Vibro-Claws, feel free. But it will be capped at 2d4. No way to add that without a GM mod, one I am not willing to add myself. If you want to invest in making them lighter, i suggest it. One minor mod would bring it down to needing a d12, two to a d10. Brawny and Soldier could further bring it down as low as a d6. Instead of making it lighter, I'd say it comes with an enhancing exoskeleton that helps support the weight.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Tribe of One

Re: Outrider's Silver Claws

Post by Tribe of One »

Capital-N-O-O-O from me, as far as using the FIWS as a base item. One, the FIWS in Empires is a horribly designed and overpowered conversion of the PR weapon system. Two, and more importantly as a Sig Item, it doesn't have a full stat block, so you can't figure weight or cost, which is needed for Repair purposes.

Edit: 50k is a joke. And not official. I'm not looking to break precedent for Sig Items especially with something so OP. Happy to be outvoted if others want to go there -- we can start basing Sig Items on Republican gear and Shemarrian railguns and all the other fun stuff.
GM Bennies: 7/7
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I never said it was official SR. It IS official in PR though, and absent full stats, what I will use.

Also, there is no setting precedent with Sig items. Every single one is purely unique to the GM and setting. If the character transfers it will probably mean recreating it with the new GM anyway, or them saying, "Yeah, I agree with the original GM." That practice has born out multiple times with different GMs and characters. Likewise, GMs have made players come back and revise when they realize something doesn't work.

The slot of a Sig item transfers, not the item itself. If you're playing a Republican game, you should be able to use items organic to the setting that is being played (unless they are undercover or whatever). Same if someone ran a Shemarran game set in their own lands.

The only precedent comes in what mods you're allowing, which is why they all get gut checked.

For instance, I can see no way the Instant Reach works as a hand worn claw. Similarly, adding a die of damage to a weapon is not okay.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Using the CAJ-5 my suggestion is this:
2 Minor:
weight reduction x2
2 Major:
+1 Parry (Minor, but using a Major slot)
Silvered (Minor, but using a Major slot)

There's no way I can wrap my head around the reach mod. Adding 30 inches to those claws means basically you're one arm wielding three swords. No way that goes well for anything but PA and Borgs, and even then I'd question it.

"Outrider's Special" CAJ-5 FIWS
Modified for use by normal, though strong, troops, the Outrider's Special is popular with hovercycle and skycycle pilots.
• Plasma Blaster (Range 12/24/48, 3d12+3 Mega Damage, RoF 1, Shots 10, It Burns)
• Vibro-Tri-Claw (Str+3d4, AP 6, +2 Parry, Claws, Silver)
• Min Str d10 (15 lbs)
• Cost 70,000 (?) credits. Not Available on the Black Market

Alternately just use HJ option and be done:
The weapon utilizes lightweight construction techniques and materials, reduce weight by a third and Minimum Strength by one die type.
The weapon utilizes lightweight construction techniques and materials, reduce weight by a third and Minimum Strength by one die type.
The crafter of this weapon knows something about vampires and other monsters in the world—she incorporated silver into its making.
Price ends up being higher (200,000) but price isn't really an issue here. Your issue will be finding someone who can repair it without ruining it. Either in group (likely, honestly) or via Networking, using the rules in Requisition.

"Outrider's Special" CAJ-5 FIWS
Modified for use by normal, though strong, troops, the Outrider's Special is popular with hovercycle and skycycle pilots.
• Vibro-Tri-Claw (Str+3d4, AP 6, +1 Parry, Claws, Silver)
• Min Str d10 (15 lbs)
• Cost 200,000 (?) credits. Not Available on the Black Market

Alternately, there's a lighter FIWS option that can be had, using the HJ table options.
Adding HJ Results 17 (+1 Parry), 13 (silver), and either 18 (embedded laser) or 15 (AP +2) gives a final cost of 44,000

Two stat blocks below to represent them:

Monster Hunter's Vibro-Vambraces
Designed for use by Psi-Stalker and Dogboy commandos, these vibro-claws are good at getting past the armor of monsters and malcontents alike.
    • Notes: Parry +2 (must be worn as a pair for the bonus). Count as Claws. Harmonic Blades, MD, Powered Weapons
    • Rarity: -6 Cost: 44,000

Outrider's CAV-10 Dual Forearm Integrated Weapon System
Designed for more normal users, based on the juicer weapon. The designation as a Vibro-weapon, usable by the infantry, rather than CAJ, which indicates its use by Juicers, has led to scouts, outriders, and skycycle pilots to refer to them as Outrider's Claws.
  • • Silvered Vibro-Blades (one on each arm)
    • • Damage: Str+2d4, AP 8, Silver
    • • Notes: Parry +2 (must be worn as a pair for the bonus). Count as Claws. Harmonic Blades, MD, Powered Weapons
    • Integrated Laser Weapon (one on dominant hand)
    • • Range: 15/30/60
    • • Dmg: 2d6+2, AP: 4
    • • ROF: 1
    • • Shots: 16
    • • Notes: Cauterize, No Recoil
    • Weight: 5 (Min Str d6)
    • Rarity: -6 Cost: 44,000

Major: Add +2 AP (major Mod, but it's a Minor item, so +5K)
Major: Add Counter-Attack (+25K and -2 Availability; alternately First Strike)

Monster Hunter's Vibro-Vambraces
Designed for use by Psi-Stalker and Dogboy commandos, these vibro-claws are good at getting past the armor of monsters and malcontents alike.
    • Grants the wearer the Counter Attack Edge
    • Rarity: -4 Cost: 51,000
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Major: Add Extraction (+25K and -1 Availability)
Major: Add First Strike (+25K and -2 Availability; alternately Counter-Attack)

Outrider's Vibro-Vambraces
Designed to allow for both devastating counterattacks and ease of withdrawal, these claws feature a retractable extension mode that allow for surprising reach in combat, but do not markedly change the balance and normal use due to it being more of a momentary burst of length, rather than being long all the time.
    • Grants the wearer the First Strike and Extraction Edges
    • Rarity: -5 Cost: 71,000
Tales of the 17th SOG
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Original submission has been edited to match the above, using Counterattack in place of First Strike.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Cool, approved on my end.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

That seems to avoid most issues raise to date, approved.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I have no opinion on this.

The Power Gamers wet dream that is the FWIS is perfectly fine in some games (I even allowed one in one of mine) and completely broken as both the most powerful plasma weapon and the best vibro weapon combined. So I think the original works in some games, and the new one works in most all games.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Yeah, with what I have planned for them, sure 3d12 with all the edges invested will be nasty, but I'm already planning for that. You should see what Boyce is bringing to the table; a squishy guy with a nasty claw is the least of my worries.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

No issue with the revised version. Approved. Also a note that my issue with the FIWS is just using it as base for a Sig Item. No issue with GMs handing them out in campaigns when appropriate. But with Sig Items we've tried to stick to a common baseline and I think that should continue.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 am No issue with the revised version. Approved. Also a note that my issue with the FIWS is just using it as base for a Sig Item. No issue with GMs handing them out in campaigns when appropriate. But with Sig Items we've tried to stick to a common baseline and I think that should continue.
That's fine by me. Thanks Tribe.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Approved.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)

Return to “Item Creation”