Eagle's Blessing - Enchanted Signature Item for Kindreth in the 24th

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
Pursuit
Game Master

Eagle's Blessing - Enchanted Signature Item for Kindreth in the 24th

Post by Pursuit »

Background: Kindreth is an elf vagabond on the Rifts equivalent of a decades-long walkabout when he bumps into the 24th COT. He has been to a lot of places in his 120ish years of life and collected many cool things during his travels, including a necklace with a pendant of an eagle claw gripping a crystal formation. For reference,
Bearded Elf Vagabond.png
is Kindreth's avatar art, which shows the necklace.

The art got me wondering what the talon necklace he's wearing might do, so I tried to create something thematic that would enhance archetypal eagle traits for the wearer.
  • Base Item: Multi-Optics Helmet, retrapped as an enchanted necklace per the A&M enchanted item rules: By donning the necklace, the wearer gains some of the incredible sight and hunting instincts of an eagle. Eagle's Blessing provides +2 to sight-based Notice checks or to offset Range penalties and allows the wearer to ignore all Illumination penalties. In addition, the wearer is at +1 for attack rolls made with up to
    The reason I went this way instead of just sticking with calibrated shooting weapons is because eagles hunt with talons and I wanted to include melee weapons to reflect that. I didn't want to completely lose the shooting bonus, because that works great with the vision and range enhancements, and I tried to balance utility and theme. Two weapons seemed reasonable (1 melee and 1 ranged), and I threw in a ceremony to add flavor and prevent mid-battle switching so as to counterbalance the additional utility. I also dropped the other more ancillary benefits of a Multi-Optics Helmet, which is mentioned below.
    Switching weapons requires a bonding ceremony lasting approximately an hour. The necklace does not provide any of the other benefits of a Multi-Optics Helmet (i.e., no armor for the head area or built in radio). Even though it is trapped as a necklace, this item still affects the eyesight of the wearer, and so no other vision enhancing items (i.e., binoculars, cybernetics, etc.) stack with it.
  • Major Enchantments: Acrobat Edge and Combat Acrobat Edge. The wearer gains some of the grace of an eagle.
  • Minor Enchantments: +1 to Agility checks, +2 Pace. The wearer gains some of the mobility and speed of an eagle.
Edit: I'm also adding in as flavor that the eye color of the wearer changes to match the color of the arcane crystal held in the eagle's talon.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: Eagle's Blessing - Enchanted Signature Item for Kindreth in the 24th

Post by Ndreare »

Looks good.
I would go with Danger Sense and Sixth Sense, but overall this looks good and I approve.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Thanks! I considered those, too; they certainly tie in well with the "eagle eye" concept. Ultimately I went with the Acrobat Edge tree because I love the idea of mimicking an eagle's grace, but the Sense edges could definitely also have fit the theme.

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Needs pricing, including "magic equivalent" mark-up. Otherwise, looks awesome. Approve!
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Freemage wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:29 am Needs pricing, including "magic equivalent" mark-up. Otherwise, looks awesome. Approve!
I completely forgot about pricing. Good catch! I'll work that up.

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic »

Approved
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?

Return to “Item Creation”