TW Stealth Falcon Jetpack

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
Sarah Winters
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

TW Stealth Falcon Jetpack

Post by Sarah Winters »

EDIT: I'm abandoning this item but leaving it here - if admin wants to delete the thread please do so.

Stealth Falcon Jet Pack, TW Model
Handling +0, 120 MPH, Range 700 miles or 3 hours, 35#, 46,000 credits
Conversion cost 4,600 credits (10%) and 2d6 days

Major:
Invisibility, Self 3PP+1 for contingency/unified powers, activates on contingency with Silence (seasoned x5), 200,000 credits, 5d6 days
Silence, Self 1PP, +2 Activation rolls, 20,000 credits, 3d6 days
Concentration Edge, 10 rounds per activation or maintain, +1 PP activation cost, 40,000 credits and +5d6 days

Minor
5 ISP +5000 / +2d6 hours
5 ISP +5000 / +2d6 hours
+1 Piloting rolls +5000 / +2d6 hours

Total Cost: 325,600 credits
Time: 15d6 days + 6d6 hours

Activation costs: Jet Pack alone: I'm arguing for 1PP/hour due to size (armor size cost vs. vehicle cost since it will be attached to already magic powered armor) but whatever.

Silence plus Invisibility unified with Concentration: 4PP OR +5 (9) for True Invis. I did not include x2 Concentration cost because the synergy and activation cost makes them one power? But again whatever is decided.
Last edited by Sarah Winters on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bennies:4/3
Credits: 5000
Parry 7 (10/shield)
Toughness: 20 (7)
+1/-1 Arcane Resistance
ISP: 20 (16 remaining)
Sarah Winters
Freemage
Savage Senior

Re: TW Stealth Falcon Jetpack

Post by Freemage »

Big issue is that you can't get True Invisibility without spending a Major Upgrade Slot (baseline, TW gear doesn't get Modifiers on Powers--each Modifier must be purchased separately). OTOH, making Invisibility is overpriced in your version. I dislike piggy-backing Invisibility on the roll for Silence, then taking advantage of Silence having the Self and Aspect Limitations to get +2 to activate the whole thing. I'm inclined to reverse the Contingency direction so that the lower-Ranked/cost Power is slaved to the higher-Ranked Power, which makes more sense to me; this affects costs/build time, which I've noted below. Finally, your time-to-build calculations were a bit off, as well.

Okay, so you want a super-stealth-granting Jetpack. Here's my suggestion:
Base cost: 46000 Cr
Conversion: 9200 Cr, 3d12 hours

Major:
Invisibility, Self Limitation, Activates with a Piloting Roll, 3 PPE activation Cost 120,000 Cr. (13 d6 Days)
Silence, Self Limitation, Activates simultaneously with and contingent on Invisibility , +2 PPE activation Cost, Cost 60,000 Cr. (7d6 Days)
True Invisibility Modifier, +4 Activation Cost 60,000 Cr. (7d6 Days)
Activating both Powers costs a total of 5 PPE, or 9 PPE with True Invisibility.

Minor
5 ISP +5000 / +2d6 hours

Total Cost: 270,200 credits
Time: 27d6 days + 3d12 hours + 6d6 hours

So cheaper but longer to build, and the Powers lack the longevity of the original design, both because you lose Concentration, and because the PPE tank is much smaller.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Sarah Winters
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sarah Winters »

Wow - OK - that's because this guide came up in the search results first. :) It allows all those things I did. That's the second time using online stuff has screwed me this week so it's back to books and paper from now on.

So the choice is between the True Invis and the Concentration, first thing to fix.

Not sure why activating the powers would be a piloting roll tho-- the jetpack functions as a jetpack first and Invis/Silence powers should be activated separately from its main function since they aren't on most of the time. P.82 sidebar indicates these embedded powers are activated using an Arcane Background and their Arcane Skill or Spirit (her choice). And FWIW with that sidebar on p.82 it nearly drove me crazy - that belongs with the TW creation rules...

And for that matter, wouldn't the jetpack activation also be Arcane Skill/Spirit unless otherwise specified?

It also seems like the PC could just use his own PP to power the device - On p.51 under "AB (Techno-Wiz)" it says "anyone who can use TW gear can also use the TW Gizmo by expending Power Points as normal" and again on p.82 it says something similar. I was including the PP battery to reduce the cost to the PC for the stealth part. Just flying around the jetpack would need to power down for heat before running out of PP.

So the PC would just use the battery down to 1 PP then use personal points to power any other stealth duration and recharge.

I'd also eliminate the piggy-backing since now it seems too cumbersome to activate them together.

Major:
Invisibility, self (3PP)
Silence, self (1PP)
Concentration (making activation 4 plus 2/maintain plus 1 for the jetpack per hour but 10 rounds per stealth)

Minor:
+1 Piloting (for maneuvers, not activation?)
5 PP
5 PP

OR

Major
Invis
Silence
True Invis (making activation cost 1PP for silence, 3 for Invis or 8 for True, plus 1 for the initial jetpack hour)

Activating everything gives 1 hour of flight but only 5 rounds of stealth, but using personal points at 2 per maintain for each additional 5 rounds of stealth

Minor
PP
PP
+1 Piloting

Parry 7 (10/shield)
+1/-1 Arcane Resistance
Sarah Winters
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Ah, that guide is from 2017, so SWD-era. Costs in general have gone up in SWADE, and some of the rules have changed.

And of course, you don't have to use Piloting for the power-activation rolls; I put that in there because I wasn't sure of the character's build, and if you're already getting a fixed bonus to Piloting anyway, tying the rolls to Piloting was a viable option (remember, a +2 to a skill means that unless you're in penalties, anything other than a critfail is a success). However, if you're already playing a primary magic/psy character with a high Arcane Skill, yeah, you're better off using that for the activation, and that'll keep the costs down.

The way you've laid out the two options is correct. Of the two, I'd probably recommend the True Invis option, as plain Invisibility is limited in hi-tech environments; the MoH means everyone and his brother has access to infravision.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Sarah Winters
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sarah Winters »

@Imperator @Technospawn Yeah I am leaning that way. Thanks @Freemage

Major
Invis
Silence
True Invis (making activation cost 1PP for silence, 3 for Invis or 8 for True, plus 1 for the jetpack hour)

Activating everything gives 1 hour of flight but only 5 rounds of stealth, but using personal points at 2 per maintain for each additional 5 rounds of stealth

Minor
PP5
PP5
+1 Piloting for maneuvers

Base cost: 46000 Cr
Conversion: 9200 Cr, 3d12 hours

Major:
Invisibility, Self Limitation, Activates with Arcane skill, 3 PPE activation Cost 120,000 Cr. (13 d6 Days)
Silence, Self Limitation, Activates with Arcane skill, 1 PPE activation Cost, Cost 60,000 Cr. (7d6 Days)
True Invisibility Modifier, +5 Activation Cost 60,000 Cr. (7d6 Days)
Activating both Powers costs a total of 4 PPE, or 9 PPE with True Invisibility.

Minor
5 ISP +5000 / +2d6 hours
5 ISP +5000 / +2d6 hours

Total Cost: 299,200 credits
Time: 27d6 days + 3d12 hours + 6d6 hours

Parry 7 (10/shield)
+1/-1 Arcane Resistance